Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Speaking of catchy punk music, the new album "Waste My Heart" by The Raging Nathans is pretty fun.

I liked that one too. I discovered that band after Rad Girlfriend Records threw in one of their CDs with the Mikey Erg LP I ordered earlier this year - they also threw in a bunch of stickers. Cool label. Oh hey, that reminds me - Mikey Erg's new album was pretty damn good too, if you're looking for more catchy punk rock. Sounds closer to his work with The Ergs! than his other solo albums do.

And for a more ska-influenced flavor of punk (okay... so it's more like ska pop-punk but still), there's the new We Are the Union album "Ordinary Life". Reade recently came out as a trans woman, and the album essentially details her journey to self-acceptance. I suppose one can compare it to "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" by Against Me! in that sense, though this album obviously has a brighter sound to it (it's ska combined with pop punk - of course it's gonna sound super upbeat, even when the lyrics get depressing). In any case, it's really good and the vinyl record I got is really nice looking tbh.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:15 am 

This new King Buffalo album absolutely slaps. For fans of Isis and Tool:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:53 am 

Super SUPER into the new Night Traveler album "Dreams You Don't Forget". Like a perfect mix of The War on Drugs and Cigarettes After Sex.

First track "Put Your Money On Me" is a great summer evening drive song (most of the album is). Huge vibe to the whole thing. Plus extra points for the great Springsteen cover "Tougher Than The Rest" later on the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:13 pm 

Sleater-Kinney's album is everything I wanted. These are just awesome, groovy and fun tracks and there's a real playful, loose sense about all of it. Love the vocal experimenting, the super catchy hooks, the funky, bouncy rhythms. Just stuff made for the love of music. This'll go well with similar good-vibe stuff I've liked lately with Mdou Moctar and Silver Synthetic. Just great classic guitars.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:20 am 

Can't decide how much I'm enjoying this - it's kindof modern Nightwish sans any remaining metal, run through a Spielberg film soundtrack.

https://foistore.bandcamp.com/album/cleo

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 am 

The new AFI is seriously good. I really dig this whole punked-up Cure thing they’ve been doing for the last few records.

The new Garbage, mixed feelings. Some excellent moments/individual songs, don’t know how I feel about the album as a whole. That said, my first few listens were not without distraction, so some stuff may have been missed.

My tastes get more and more mainstream, it seems.
Obliteration

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:22 pm 

Well, AFI aren't particularly mainstream these days at least - the era of "Miss Murder" being on the radio and TV all the time has most certainly come to an end, and now what's left is... well, their actual fans, I guess. In any case, I had very mixed feelings on "Bodies" at first, but it's definitely grown on me the more I've listened to it. I still think "Burials" is the best of their post-"Sing the Sorrow" record, however.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:36 am 

It's been a dozen years, and finally the new release from Norwegian folk duo Kings of Convenience is out. It's a bit shorter than I'd like for such a long wait, and I can tell it's going to take some time for it to sink it, but just like their others it's perfect for lazy summer afternoons. Far too early to say, as I do prefer their earlier albums, but for a group of their caliber that's faint damnation. I'm glad to see them work with Feist again on a couple tracks, like this one.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:33 am 

My favorite non metal album so far-amazing french Post Punk-https://veik.bandcamp.com/album/surrounding-structures-2

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm 

Protector from Summoning released a new Ice Ages album today.

https://iceages.bandcamp.com/?fbclid=Iw ... BLcdqk_vVw

Industrial darkwave, though the compilations here actually fit the description of "What if Summoning was futuristic sounding and completely electronic?". Moreso than the rest of his Ice Ages work.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am 

New Lucy Dacus album is probably her best work to date.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 pm 

I know I’m super late to the party with this, but Lustful Sacraments continues to prove why Perturbator is the gold standard in synthwave.

This album is incredible and for my money, Perturbator is the apex of the genre.
Obliteration

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:46 pm 

Yeah, he's fantastic, although that album has drifted quite a bit from synthwave, so it's not really a great representative of it.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:12 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
Yeah, Steven Wilson’s The Future Bites is amazing. As expected, really.

I know people are cold on this album because it’s not a guitar-centric rock album (fans of progressive music are weird like that), but fuck it-the writing, performances, production, textures, atmosphere, theme, etc. are all expertly crafted and carry immense emotional weight.

I think quite the opposite, it's his worst album. I have nothing against pop, my problem with the album is that Steven is a bad pop artist. Vocals are bad and the lyrics are some of the dumbest stuff I've read in a while. Really heinous and dumb anti-consumerism message that could have been done by a teenager. The overall vibe I get from the concept of the album is that it was made by someone completely detached from reality with no real issues with consumerism. The marketing behind the albums is plain disgusting, how can you advertise and sell special editions most people can't afford while complaining about consumerism and special editions? Best case scenario it's all irony and he's actually laughing at... himself? Makes no sense if you ask me.

I agree that the new Wilson album is utterly boring. In fact, it was so bad that I actually went back and listened to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun for the first time in literally over 15 years. They still sound fresh. Amazing writing on those. In Absentia too.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:08 pm 

Honestly surprised at how much I enjoy the new Beartooth album, Below. I had basically no real opinions for or against Beartooth, and only learned of this album because I happened to browse /r/metalcore randomly on the day it released, but I just can't stop. This album is just a non-stop music record of aggression and emotion in the way I think metalcore excels at, while also retaining enough of a metallic base to never end up feeling overly whiny. It's funny: this is honestly some of the most metal I think metalcore can sound while still not actually being metal. I debated appealing for the band on here, but eventually decided that it wasn't quite metallic enough. Riffs don't make up a huge portion of it, but what riffs are there whip, to be frank. There are, like, five songs on this album that all start the exact same way--an anthemic build-up of an intro for 10-20 seconds and then a heavy-ass metal riff that leads into the first verse--and I frankly do not care because each one of them has a different badass riff. Like, damn, the first half minute of Hell of It is unbelievably good.

To be frank this is one of the most one-track albums I have ever ever heard, it basically sounds the exact same all the way till the final song which is a 4-minute long slow doom metal track, but it can sound the same when the basic formula is THAT pleasing.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm 

This album is so damn fun.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
Yeah, Steven Wilson’s The Future Bites is amazing. As expected, really.

I know people are cold on this album because it’s not a guitar-centric rock album (fans of progressive music are weird like that), but fuck it-the writing, performances, production, textures, atmosphere, theme, etc. are all expertly crafted and carry immense emotional weight.

I think quite the opposite, it's his worst album. I have nothing against pop, my problem with the album is that Steven is a bad pop artist. Vocals are bad and the lyrics are some of the dumbest stuff I've read in a while. Really heinous and dumb anti-consumerism message that could have been done by a teenager. The overall vibe I get from the concept of the album is that it was made by someone completely detached from reality with no real issues with consumerism. The marketing behind the albums is plain disgusting, how can you advertise and sell special editions most people can't afford while complaining about consumerism and special editions? Best case scenario it's all irony and he's actually laughing at... himself? Makes no sense if you ask me.

I agree that the new Wilson album is utterly boring. In fact, it was so bad that I actually went back and listened to Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun for the first time in literally over 15 years. They still sound fresh. Amazing writing on those. In Absentia too.

I somehow missed that discussion earlier, but 110% this. The album is the true embodiment of the word "bland" and the 5/10 grade, but it's the way he'd been marketing that thing as some kind of second coming of a musical messiah that makes it annoying at best and in terrible taste at worst. He'd done poppy stuff before and much better, but his ego had clearly grown out of control about 5 years ago and he's become the very thing he used to criticise and/or parody.

It also does not speak well of the prog "critics" given how much they praised a painfully generic pop album just because it says SW on it, while continuing to ignore bands who have genuinely pushed boundaries and made thought-provoking prog records. I think this is why at the end of the day, even though the metal audience can get very obnoxious in its own way, I prefer it to prog snobs any day of the week.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:56 pm 

Steven Wilson has had an insufferable side of his personality for far longer than that. For example, his iPod destruction videos and rants from the 00s too often walk the wrong side of a thin line between societal commentary and amateur satire, and he seems at times rather self-unaware, probably increasingly over the years. It's certainly a quality rather endemic to many artists affiliated with the progressive rock scene, as much as I love a lot of it.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:44 pm 

It's true he'd had his... not so great moments before, but I've been a fan of PT (and him, by extension) since roughly 2008 and there really has been a noticeable shift around the middle of the last decade. I think it's best illustrated by how his solo career has gone - after Grace For Drowning came out and a tour was announced, I expected mostly a "Steven solo show" with a bunch of tracks he'd perform of his own (as the solo albums had a bunch of those) and the band being more like backing musicians. Instead it was more The Steven Wilson Band where he even let each member walk in and sort of "introduce" themselves before he inevitably took the spotlight. His whole attitude was also noticeably different and felt more laid-back, and the "Get All You Deserve" DVD from that era is one of the best and most magical live DVDs ever made - partly because of not despite his attitude.

Whereas somewhere around the Hand.Cannot.Erase. era (which is an excellent album, though) he started going into rants about being a true artist and how he doesn't look back and it very obviously became all about him, including one or two fallouts with his former band members (most noticeably Marco Minnemann whom I don't think anyone else had ever managed to publicly piss off). I used to fucking love reading interviews with him in the late PT/early solo era which felt very human and sincere in-between his occasional musings, now he's near-unbearable to read and especially listen to. It's fairly depressing, as he was sincerely one of my teenage heroes (especially as someone who also walked the line between "oversensitive" and "overintellectual" quite a bit) and now I barely recognise that person - while some others, like the Dream Theater guys remain as humble as ever despite regularly grabbing accolades as much as ever.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:12 pm 

Yeah, his new persona is pretty sad. I agree with the sentiment that "he's become the very thing he used to criticise and/or parody". Remember The Sound of Muzak?

Hear the sound of music
Drifting in the aisles
Elevator Prozac
Stretching on for miles
The music of the future
Will not entertain
It's only meant to repress
And neutralize your brain
Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic
Gives what you want
Now the sound of music
Comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you
Building cheaper thrills
The music of rebellion
Makes you want to rage
But it's made by millionaires
Who are nearly twice your age
One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough

Not that I think these lyrics are great (pretty meh if you ask me) but the lack of self-awareness is worrying.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 am 

Man, I'm really enjoying this new Creeper EP "American Noir" a lot.
Don't think you can call them a pop punk band anymore at this point, really.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:47 am 

This year has been wonderful for those of us who like industrial stuff! Here are some awesome albums that have been released so far:

Rob Zombie: The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnbK0k ... 7Gj8mAR6KB

Skold: Dies Irae

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p6V4f8t1ag

Gary Numan: Intruder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh8ITj2 ... jJ65nqpDjc

Wumpscut: Fledermavs 303

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DH1fYf ... kNuYUs1l3Y

Lindemann: Live In Moscow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wx2aWa ... hM9NdHVKto

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:24 am 

Hmm, :wumpscut: had killer stuff in the 90s, but he lost it somewhere in the 00s and hasn't really gotten it back.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:57 am 

Lingua Ignota just dropped what is quite possibly the album of the year. The Backxwash record "I LIE HERE BURIED WITH MY RINGS AND MY DRESSES" is pretty phenomenal too. black midi's "Cavalcade" is still as potent as ever. Really strong releases this year so far.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm 

https://sturgillsimpson.bandcamp.com/al ... od-juanita

New Sturgill Simpson album is as stripped down and basic as this style gets but it works. His voice sounds incredible. I gotta track down the lyrics next time I listen.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:38 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://sturgillsimpson.bandcamp.com/album/the-ballad-of-dood-juanita

New Sturgill Simpson album is as stripped down and basic as this style gets but it works. His voice sounds incredible. I gotta track down the lyrics next time I listen.

It's an incredible album. The song "Sam" puts a tear in my eye every time.

I'm also absolutely loving the new album from The Killers. The Killers have always been a band I dig, and always have 3-5 great songs on every record, but Pressure Machine is probably their most impressive full record ever. A lot of Springsteen worship on this record, and I'm not angry about that.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:43 pm 

Been waiting for Birdy's next album for five years, only to realize that it had already been released back in APRIL! She's gone back to a more stripped-down sound (this time more involved in the writing). Despite always having too many tracks per album, it's another winner. For those interested in indie folk / pop:

Spoiler: show

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:06 pm 

So the new Tropical Fuck Storm is pretty good, I think I like it more than the previous album but I don't think they will approach the level of their debut ever again.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 pm 

The new Liars album "The Apple Drop" has the usual electronic embellishments but they're sounding even moodier/eerier than usual. I quite dig it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
https://sturgillsimpson.bandcamp.com/album/the-ballad-of-dood-juanita

It's an incredible album. The song "Sam" puts a tear in my eye every time.

I'm also absolutely loving the new album from The Killers. The Killers have always been a band I dig, and always have 3-5 great songs on every record, but Pressure Machine is probably their most impressive full record ever. A lot of Springsteen worship on this record, and I'm not angry about that.

Bought it and playing now. You're right... a great piece of work. He seems to really be enjoying himself here. Great lyrics too.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:00 pm 

I am in love with the new Turnstile album, "Glow On".
One of the most creative, fun and engaging punk/hardcore albums of the decade, I'd say.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:52 pm 

Chvrches - Screen Violence

They've dropped a lot of the Americanisms for this album, and gone back to sounding like thesmelves; lots more in the way of atmospheric synthing and less in the way of Katy Perry worship. There are some nice nods to 80s pop in there, too, some Duran Duran-isms for example.

https://chvrch.es/

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:25 pm 

I loved their first album, but the next two mostly didn't work for me. I agree that the latest seems to be more of a return to form.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:11 pm 

Just listened to the new Andrew W.K. album and I'm impressed. I only have a passing familiarity with stuff outside of the popular songs from I Get Wet, so perhaps that's why I find it so striking, but it's a fairly diverse and mature rock album.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 am 

Steve Hackett's albums were problematic in the last ten years. They sound as if he just threw the whole world of music, folk, classical and rock, in a blender. As a result, they were very similar, had the same ingredients, the same arcs of suspense etc. The new one, "Surrender of Silence", is again more of the same - but (and it's a big but) this time it seems as if he doesn't want to say everything at the same time. He tries to clear up the mess so to speak. The very Genesis-y intro "The Obliterati", the epic journey "Shanghai to Samarkand" and the bluesy "Scorched Earth" in the vein of Camel are truly excellent. Don't be fooled by the silly pseudo-afropop-single "Wingbeats" though, it doesn't represent the rest of the album which is much darker and angrier.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:32 pm 

Not on the Archives so they should fit here.
Young local band called Blóðmör. Been really digging their full length debut!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:43 pm 

https://biglad.bandcamp.com/album/power-tools

big lad just released another album, its basically electronica but with a real drummer. Got a bit of a metallic feel to it too even though not as much as on their older releases.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:55 am 

OC Rippers’ Wasteland Blues. Rocking punk out of Jersey.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:21 pm 

Last Days of Humanity put out an album after a 15 year hiatus earlier this year. Glorious goregrind depravity.

The Kissa debut was a solid slab of fun glam/action rock. Scratches that Turbonegro and Hellacopters itch for me.

Haven't listened to too much punk this year, but I've been digging Slant's debut. Old school American hardcore sounding stuff with awesomely pissed off vocals.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:01 am 

St. Vincent 'Daddy's Home' is a stunning work of music... been trying a bunch of her stuff and this is absolutely out of this world. Swathes of psychedelia and nostalgia and just odd, aching sound. Brilliant.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next