Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 pm 

So the new Andrew W.K. song came out today, with a music video. I have always liked his music to some extent, except those japanese albums, that was not up my alley at all. in 2018 he went back to a more familiar sound on the You're Not Alone, liked the album, but those "self-help" messages where a little much for my taste.

So that brings us to the new song. Andrew recently signed to Napalm Records, a somewhat weird choice. And the first track on the label was released today and it is the most "metal" he has sounded ever I guess. I really liked the song, and all the O.T.O. and cryptic conspiracy stuff that's thrown in. I am actually looking more forward to this album than the last one, as this is more of the "same", but with a darker heavier sound.

Here's the Music Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8y36733ag

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:25 am 

I've always had a soft spot for Andrew W.K. When I saw him play a show at a big music fest a couple years back (music fests...aaah, yes... remember those???) it was honestly one of the most FUN shows I'd ever been to. Young, old, cranky, happy, metalheads, punks, hipsters, and music fans of all stripes just couldn't stop smiling after his set. With that said, that song is probably the most "Metal" I've ever heard him, but to be honest, I kind of prefer his more fun, punkish rock n' roll party anthems, which is what he does best in my opinion. That new song was good but a little, well, overblown I guess I would say.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:33 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I've always had a soft spot for Andrew W.K. When I saw him play a show at a big music fest a couple years back (music fests...aaah, yes... remember those???) it was honestly one of the most FUN shows I'd ever been to. Young, old, cranky, happy, metalheads, punks, hipsters, and music fans of all stripes just couldn't stop smiling after his set. With that said, that song is probably the most "Metal" I've ever heard him, but to be honest, I kind of prefer his more fun, punkish rock n' roll party anthems, which is what he does best in my opinion. That new song was good but a little, well, overblown I guess I would say.

I do to. I find his music different, as it has a different songwriting style to it. I Get Wet is clearly a guitar driven album, but it is pretty clear it wasn't written on guitar by a guitarist, that's for sure. (Drummer & Pianist) I do to prefer his early punk/rock/electronic carpenter sound, but I think there is so far you can go with that, so glad he through in some "darker" elements on this one.

I was actually suprised at some of his old bands, I find the "Grindcore" band Kathode to actually be pretty decent. He played drums and did back-up vocals in that band.

Kathode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYm5yWG-0xw

Reply to topic