Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 am 

Hellow people
The title of my post : Can you recommend a program to identify all archives in a file and generate a list of them ??? I would use it to make a list of songs I have in diferent files. Or maybe movies too.
Sometimes I want recommend songs in the forum and this will help me.

Do you use something like that ???

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 pm 

In Windows you can do it from the command line

Open the top level folder you want to index with cd (eg: enter cd z:\user\doucments\music)

Then use the command 'dir' to generate a list within cmd

If you want it to generate a text file you can work with, run 'dir /s listmyfiles.txt'

It can take quite a while to run, so be prepared to hit return & then go eat dinner or something.

I've used that at work a few times to index messy corporate shared drives, but I'm sure there's an equivalent macos / linux command too, if that's your poison. Happily never had to do it at home !

hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm 

Methuen wrote:
In Windows you can do it from the command line

Open the top level folder you want to index with cd (eg: enter cd z:\user\doucments\music)

Then use the command 'dir' to generate a list within cmd

If you want it to generate a text file you can work with, run 'dir /s listmyfiles.txt'

It can take quite a while to run, so be prepared to hit return & then go eat dinner or something.

I've used that at work a few times to index messy corporate shared drives, but I'm sure there's an equivalent macos / linux command too, if that's your poison. Happily never had to do it at home !

Im not familiar with that process.
I have downloaded Directory Lister Pro 2.42 but the tutorial are horrible, I can not do anything.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:04 am 

Oh understood, programs designed to do something that your system can already do usually are horrible

These tutorials should help - the first one shows you how to get the command line open & what to do, and the second gives you the various options depending on what kind of list you want to see

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/use-command-line-easily-create-list-your-personal-files-your-music-your-pictures-or-whatever

https://www.poftut.com/windows-dir-command-tutorial-examples-list-files-file-information/

kusomiso
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am 

Hi, sometimes I used this one:

dir2text 1.2a

Reply to topic