Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am 

Opus wrote:
I use this quite often. Ugly but useful, and a weird selection of bands. Thank Morrigan for metal-archives!
http://www.progarchives.com/

I've been looking through that site, and have been playing my wife a selection of prog rock - Caravan (who I'd never heard of, but on of their albums is the source of a name for a record shop I've used for years), Rush, Uriah Heep, Tull, Yes, and so on. God what a great site. Nice that it's broad enough to include some of the more prog-ish metal bands, too.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:30 pm 

Death Mantra wrote:
Anyone using the net back in the 90s is probably familiar with BNR Metal Pages and Mega's Metal Asylum. Surprised those 2 still exist. Inferno Webzine and Chaotic Webzine (I think that was its name) I used a lot back then too - neither exist anymore though.

BNR is legendary, should have remembered it, thanks.

Methuen wrote:
Opus wrote:
I use this quite often. Ugly but useful, and a weird selection of bands. Thank Morrigan for metal-archives!
http://www.progarchives.com/

I've been looking through that site, and have been playing my wife a selection of prog rock - Caravan (who I'd never heard of, but on of their albums is the source of a name for a record shop I've used for years), Rush, Uriah Heep, Tull, Yes, and so on. God what a great site. Nice that it's broad enough to include some of the more prog-ish metal bands, too.

Glad to hear you like Caravan. Ever listened to Camel?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:46 pm 

I just found an archive for the Internet Underground Music Archive from 1996.

https://web.archive.org/web/19961022175 ... /home.html

It's got a lot of other screenshots, so it's really cool to see this site and its archival of underground music.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:20 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:

I haven't, but definitely on the list now. I took do the deep end with Caravan & went for the 22 minute 'Nine Feet Deep' - what a piece of music !

Slater922 wrote:
I just found an archive for the Internet Underground Music Archive from 1996.

https://web.archive.org/web/19961022175 ... /home.html

It's got a lot of other screenshots, so it's really cool to see this site and its archival of underground music.

Ah yes, websites driven by image links on a background image. Early UI design had some ...interesting ideas. Though thinking of old music sites, I used to use one called Dark Elucidation, which appears to have died now & only lives in the wayback machine.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:25 am 

Methuen wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:

I haven't, but definitely on the list now. I took do the deep end with Caravan & went for the 22 minute 'Nine Feet Deep' - what a piece of music !

I'm asking because the two bands did share some members at certain points and there is some similarity in how they sound, though Camel was definitely more "straight" than Caravan, which was more connected with the Canterbury scene, while still being by far the least out-there band within it. Actually, you went for their most accessible album, I'd say. :D

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Lost Souls Domain - used to spend a lot of time here; from this perspective, the edgelord attitude is off-putting, but there's some definite hilarity in the user reviews; still, an amazing snapshot of the darker 90s metal trends.

And just like that, this site is no more. What a sad illustration of the eventual fate of Web 1.0.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:43 am 

Here be Return to the Pit, the site of a New England-based show photographer and legendary flamewar cesspool of metal in the northeastern United States. It's kinda broken right now due to a server migration gone awry, but it mostly works.

http://www.returntothepit.com/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:10 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
I'm asking because the two bands did share some members at certain points and there is some similarity in how they sound, though Camel was definitely more "straight" than Caravan, which was more connected with the Canterbury scene, while still being by far the least out-there band within it. Actually, you went for their most accessible album, I'd say. :D

Haha, didn't know that ! Yeah I'll give Camel a go - didn't realise a 22-minuter would be the more accessible stuff, I'm looking forwards to the journey into further weirdness now :D

Subrick wrote:
Here be Return to the Pit, the site of a New England-based show photographer and legendary flamewar cesspool of metal in the northeastern United States. It's kinda broken right now due to a server migration gone awry, but it mostly works.

http://www.returntothepit.com/

I didn't know it was possible to have a website that didn't scale to fit a browser window any longer :lol:

Couple more from my history vaults -

BAOR Locations - https://www.baor-locations.org/Home.aspx.html -site dedicated to British and Canadian military infrastructure in Germany during the Cold War. Lots of photos of what are now car parks.

The Miniatures Page - http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/index.mv - wargaming site. You thought Games Workshop were nerdy ? This site has rules and pointers to let you game as Theoderic the Goth :lol: (I never did, I needed a rule set as material for an article, but it's as dangerous a rabbit hole as the prog rock site :lol: )

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:44 am 

Methuen wrote:
Yeah I'll give Camel a go - didn't realise a 22-minuter would be the more accessible stuff, I'm looking forwards to the journey into further weirdness now :D

You know what it is, though? Caravan is a notoriously unfocused band. It's actually kinda part of their appeal for us who are into the Canterbury thing. They're totally spaced out and they just kinda meander, so it can be difficult to grasp the big picture immediately. Well, the third album is a bit of an exception. All the songs are much more focused and instantly memorable, including the second side. So you picked the perfect entry point, actually.

Camel - go for Mirage first.

Methuen wrote:
Couple more from my history vaults -

BAOR Locations - https://www.baor-locations.org/Home.aspx.html -site dedicated to British and Canadian military infrastructure in Germany during the Cold War. Lots of photos of what are now car parks.

The Miniatures Page - http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/index.mv - wargaming site. You thought Games Workshop were nerdy ? This site has rules and pointers to let you game as Theoderic the Goth :lol: (I never did, I needed a rule set as material for an article, but it's as dangerous a rabbit hole as the prog rock site :lol: )

Nice! As I said, I'm gonna read your Victorian website from the previous page while listening to Anathema et al, and the Cold War one is bookmarked for when the mood strikes for Voivod and Kreator. :D

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:16 am 

What was that old school metal website, think it was mid/late 1990s, where all the reviews read like some guy puking out a thesaurus? (For example: "Sonorous rhythms coalesce the divination of strident proclivity, uttering a descandent and rotiferous aurogram. The guitars hapsitize and inflaturate, creating a hombum of judious malherbination." - describing some old school black/death metal album or other.) I was wondering if that site was even still around.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 am 

Maybe deathmetal.org? I looked it up just now, but it's a dead link.

Also, related, ANUS.com is pretty old looking. Site is definitely from the early 2000s at least.

http://www.anus.com/

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
What was that old school metal website, think it was mid/late 1990s, where all the reviews read like some guy puking out a thesaurus? (For example: "Sonorous rhythms coalesce the divination of strident proclivity, uttering a descandent and rotiferous aurogram. The guitars hapsitize and inflaturate, creating a hombum of judious malherbination." - describing some old school black/death metal album or other.) I was wondering if that site was even still around.

you mean the tone ridiculed in my signature? yes, that was, or is the edgelord crowd around spinoza ray prozak of anus.com/deathmetal.org/amerika.org/nihil.org.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:48 am 

What's even worse is that their influence refuses to die. Every new generation, you get someone pontificating about the endtimes, the way we've "devolved as a species", usually as a consequence of the nefarious influence of such horrible things as women being allowed to vote, races interbreeding and defective babies no longer being thrown off the cliff, and what the future holds and how these things that weaken our Aryan spirit can be reverted, so that we can all go back and live in the glorious heroic age of the past. And somehow, this can be divined from death and black metal albums and how and why they're inferior to old death and black metal albums.

Stupid fascist shit that should have been laughed out of the village the second it raised its ugly head, but no. And we're still dealing with it. Even today, even on this site, it's possible to find reviews written in that style, though with the thesaurus abuse toned way down. Another thing I've noticed is that if someone professes to be an ex-ANUSite, claiming it was just a phase, you can bet they're totally still an ANUSite and it doesn't take much to provoke them to show their true colors. They may have had personal conflicts with Prozak, or at least developed a personal distaste for him and his cronies, and they may have slightly different preferences, for example, liking albums that ANUS would not approve of, but the principle is the same, the extreme right-wing aspect is there, the unearned arrogance is there, it's unmissable.

There was one on Satan Stole My Teddybear. There was at least one on Chronicles of Chaos. That's just off the top of my head. We've had more than a few on Metal Archives too, unfortunately.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:38 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
always loved this wacko site:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/

I had to leave. I clicked some links, but arrived at this:

"
Quote:
That is preposterous! Do you really believe that all the 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 (326 quintillion) estimated gallons of water upon the earth came from outerspace? Do you believe all that water came to the earth one meteorite at a time? If you do, I feel sorry for you, because you are really gullible, unlearned and foolish. It is much more logical to believe the Holy Bible, which says in Genesis 1:1-2, “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” God created the universe and everything in it!"

So, it's completely ridiculous to believe water originated from space and you are "gullible, unlearned and foolish" if you believe so. But, then in the next sentence he says it's more logical to believe God did it all, because the Bible tells me so. I don't understand how this person can't see how ridiculous his/her stance is. If you're gonna call one thing ridiculous and then mock anyone that holds that belief, you better be holding your belief up to that same lens.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Subrick wrote:
The Million Dollar Webpage is still up. For the unaware, the site was the effort of a UK college student to pay for his college tuition, so he set up a site with a 1000 x 1000 grid, selling each pixel for $1. He ended up leaving school one term in because of how much money this site raised. It raised $1,037,100 in five months.

http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

Just be aware that most of the links on here are dead as fuck.

One of the links off that site is still up, though, and boy is it another fever dream :eek:

https://www.lingscars.com/

Wow. You found the goods with this Lingscars link.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am 

Hey, Wahn - Any idea how the SSMT regulars are these days? I had an account there, under a different name, but I eventually decided to quietly disappear (and disappear from the offshoot forum as well). It was just an awkward time of life that I wanted to put behind me. But there were some good people there, and I Facebook-friended a few (but I also deleted my FB around the same time).

I occasionally wonder how those folks are doing, but I don't want to do any searching, for fear of having to revisit some painful personal memories and such.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am 

megalowho wrote:
Hey, Wahn - Any idea how the SSMT regulars are these days? I had an account there, under a different name, but I eventually decided to quietly disappear (and disappear from the offshoot forum as well). It was just an awkward time of life that I wanted to put behind me. But there were some good people there, and I Facebook-friended a few (but I also deleted my FB around the same time).

I occasionally wonder how those folks are doing, but I don't want to do any searching, for fear of having to revisit some painful personal memories and such.

Wait, you wrote for SSMT? Or were you just a member of their forum? (I forgot that they had a forum.)

No idea, I have no personal contact with anyone who posted reviews there, I was just a huge fan of the site. And yeah, for personal use, I saved pretty much all the band pages to my hard drive from the most recent version that was available on the Wayback Machine in 2018. Somehow, I couldn't let that one go to waste, it was very important in shaping my musical taste.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am 

Nah, it was just one of my earliest experiences with Internet forums. I couldn't write a review if my life depended on it. :)

Speaking of bad memories... Who knows if it's still around (again, don't even want to Google it), but Ruthless Reviews? They made a splash with their piece on the top ten most ridiculous black metal photos. I spent a lot of time lurking the forum my last couple years of college, which was another painful but formative experience in a way.

I remember it being edge-lord central (albeit not of the right-wing variety), and full of people generally "in love with themselves" (as someone from SSMT put it!). Something Awful (also long-defunct, IIRC) featured them one week, in that segment where they post screen-caps of forum posts to make fun of them.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 am 

megalowho wrote:
Nah, it was just one of my earliest experiences with Internet forums. I couldn't write a review if my life depended on it. :)

Speaking of bad memories... Who knows if it's still around (again, don't even want to Google it), but Ruthless Reviews? They made a splash with their piece on the top ten most ridiculous black metal photos. I spent a lot of time lurking the forum my last couple years of college, which was another painful but formative experience in a way.

I remember it being edge-lord central (albeit not of the right-wing variety), and full of people generally "in love with themselves" (as someone from SSMT put it!). Something Awful (also long-defunct, IIRC) featured them one week, in that segment where they post screen-caps of forum posts to make fun of them.

I loved Ruthless Reviews and was even on the forum for a while. It had a certain appeal. I joined that forum to get abused and dish out the abuse and it didn't disappoint me. It was a bit of a Fight Club mindset. Cool for its time, but it's a relic now. Incomprehensible in these times and perhaps for the better. But they did have quality content. It wasn't just ridiculous black metal photos, there were some seriously well written music and film reviews there.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:03 am 

megalowho wrote:
Who knows if it's still around (again, don't even want to Google it), but Ruthless Reviews? They made a splash with their piece on the top ten most ridiculous black metal photos. I spent a lot of time lurking the forum my last couple years of college, which was another painful but formative experience in a way.

I don't think the forum is still around, but they still do film reviews. Their "Ruthless Guide to 80s Action" is basically my film bible :lol: The black metal photos pieces are still up !

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:31 am 

Hell yeah, the '80s Action Guide! Really, that about sums it up for me - the reviewer who, on the one hand, thought it was cool to insult people with Down's Syndrome, did also create that brilliant tribute to Death Wish 3, so... Partial redemption there.

Also, I just repurchased At the Heart of Winter, and...man, that was responsible for like half of the BM photos list.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 am 

I used to browse the articles on Ruthless Reviews and did an excursion sometime last year. I find their whole attitude fascinating in that they have the most political vitriol for Republicans yet constantly use sexist and homophobic language. They're still entertaining reads but there's so much mid-2000s white guy energy.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I used to browse the articles on Ruthless Reviews and did an excursion sometime last year. I find their whole attitude fascinating in that they have the most political vitriol for Republicans yet constantly use sexist and homophobic language. They're still entertaining reads but there's so much mid-2000s white guy energy.

It definitely didn't age well.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 pm 

For music sites, BandToBand's look is practically unchanged in 16 years, although there is a new version slowly in the works.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:50 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
For music sites, BandToBand's look is practically unchanged in 16 years, although there is a new version slowly in the works.

Well that's actually pretty cool. I wished I found out about this sooner.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 am 

DeadKid wrote:

How have I not heard of this before? Much appreciated!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:30 am 

Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, but the Time Cube website is still there in all its web 1.0 glory:
https://timecube.2enp.com/

Looks like it hasn't been updated (comestically at least) since I first saw it in.... 1998? 99?

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm 

Turner wrote:
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this, but the Time Cube website is still there in all its web 1.0 glory:
https://timecube.2enp.com/

Looks like it hasn't been updated (comestically at least) since I first saw it in.... 1998? 99?
Of course "cube divinity." The Earth rotates in a 4 day time period. I love how the top of the website always proclaimed "your ignorance of the Harmonic Cube is demonic." Clearly, someone with way too much fucking time on their hands. Even more than me. Trust me, I have plenty. I have no life. This guy makes my life seem like mid 80s Vince Neil by comparison.

Another great one was the Art Bell bulletin boards. What made them so great, was a poster who claimed to be from the year 2036. He been sent back in time (in his time travelling Corvette) to get computer parts from old IBM 5100s. He posted pictures of his futuristic techniques to bend light, his time traveling Corvette with the nuclear reactor and that a full scale civil war in the United States would occur. Only to end when it lead into WW3 in 2015. Many in the forum believed him and were amazed at his pictures of "bending light." Sadly the website I believe is gone. Those early days of the net were very interesting.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:41 pm 

lol yeah, you're talking about John Titor. I know there are a few sites dedicated to discussing him, but I don't think anyone knows for sure if it was a hoax or not (of course it was, haha). I think in general the mid-late 1990s was probably our last hurrah of fascination with 20th century monster of the week-type sci-fi/horror media (shows like the X Files, various Star Trek iterations, the Outer Limits etc), and it combined with the tail end of a time where you couldn't just check google/wiki to debunk bullshit claims, as well as the last point where people like John Titor were a relative novelty. Whoever came up with Titor tapped into the zeitgeist perfectly etc - these days, madmen (and countless people feigning madness, peddling half-developed conspiracy theories etc for traffic) are everywhere on the internet and overall it lost its charm.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:43 pm 

Man I forgot how cool the original M/A layout looked.

Last FM

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:04 am 

Searching for car parts last night, I did come across this gem of 2004-ish web design - non-https, sidebar navigation (it scrolls !), and animated buttons everywhere. Not sure it completely counts, but it's nice to be reminded of Angelfire & so on :D

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:13 am 

Methuen wrote:
Searching for car parts last night, I did come across this gem of 2004-ish web design - non-https, sidebar navigation (it scrolls !), and animated buttons everywhere. Not sure it completely counts, but it's nice to be reminded of Angelfire & so on :D

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

Nice! I know you're posting this at least partly for laughs, but this sort of design is much more functional, not to mention easier on the eyes, than a lot of modern abominations.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:15 am 

Yeah, can't argue with that - I'm always happy that this site never really changed, fundamentally. My favourite news site (Ars Technica) has gotten a bit modern, lots of retina-burning brightness shifts and so on.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:10 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Lost Souls Domain - used to spend a lot of time here; from this perspective, the edgelord attitude is off-putting, but there's some definite hilarity in the user reviews; still, an amazing snapshot of the darker 90s metal trends.

And just like that, this site is no more. What a sad illustration of the eventual fate of Web 1.0.

Back up.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:07 am 

Does anyone remember the great old racing game Ignition?

Here's an old-school guide with some useful tips.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 pm 

The website for the (excellent, must be watched ASAP) documentary Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows is still live, existing without interruption or any real alteration since 1998. If you throw the site into the Wayback Machine, you'll see that the only changes to the site have been some images being different, as well as there now being a hidden link on the site that leads you to an article about how awesome CBD is.

http://www.brethartvideo.com/

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:09 pm 

CivFanatics has been going since like 2001 and its still fairly active. I guess being the largest fansite for one of PC gaming's longstanding and successful gaming series (Civilization) probably doesn't hurt. It also has a robust modding community and crossover into other related topics like history, war, etc. I'm surprised I never bothered making an account there, but I guess I wasn't huge on Civ 5 and 6 (4 was great though).

That site will probably never die (unless the owners decide otherwise) because even once things start to wane, it'll spring back to life full force once Civilization 7 is announced.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:51 am 

Richard Stallman (the Free Software / GNU guy) has a website that is purposefully web 1.0 (or pre that in some places) - he only works in a text editor / basic HTML, and hates design (see below). It's an interesting site once you adjust for Stallman's brand of extremist crazy,

https://stallman.org/

Quote:
This site is maintained in a very simple way. I edit the pages such as this one manually as HTML. I only know simple HTML; others who know more wrote the parts at the top and bottom of pages, and the more complex formatting on the home page. Volunteer helpers install the political notes every day after receiving the text from me by email. A cron job "rolls over" the political notes page every two months. The photo galleries are generated with this perl script. The search feature on the site is done with this code.

An explanation of the concept of designing a "user experience" which also shows why I find it loathsome. This is why I want stallman.org to remain simple: not a "user experience" but rather a place where I present certain information, views and action opportunities to you.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:40 am 

Methuen wrote:
Richard Stallman (the Free Software / GNU guy) has a website that is purposefully web 1.0 (or pre that in some places) - he only works in a text editor / basic HTML, and hates design (see below). It's an interesting site once you adjust for Stallman's brand of extremist crazy,

https://stallman.org/

Quote:
This site is maintained in a very simple way. I edit the pages such as this one manually as HTML. I only know simple HTML; others who know more wrote the parts at the top and bottom of pages, and the more complex formatting on the home page. Volunteer helpers install the political notes every day after receiving the text from me by email. A cron job "rolls over" the political notes page every two months. The photo galleries are generated with this perl script. The search feature on the site is done with this code.

An explanation of the concept of designing a "user experience" which also shows why I find it loathsome. This is why I want stallman.org to remain simple: not a "user experience" but rather a place where I present certain information, views and action opportunities to you.

I've always been conflicted about him. Still, great find.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:30 am 

https://tgannon.incolor.com/hm.html

Used to be run by a metalhead, Thomas C. Gannon, who is also an associate professor of English/Ethnic studies in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. This particular page has an essay which is a wonderful, self-aware overview of metal culture from the perspective of critical theory inspired by Theodor Adorno. The greatest shame about it is that it's been left unfinished (seems the last update was in 2003) and I would have just loved to see Gannon's own perspective on metal culture in the third part of the essay.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next