Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 am 

I had the thought today that the lockdown has given me the headspace to get into some genres (folk/neo-folk/ambient/Anneke van Giersbergen's entire career) that I wouldn't have had with two hours in the car / 10hrs at work each day. Lots more time with some decent speakers to really 'hear' music that isn't major key power metal.

I've also found a bit more patience for exploring new things - previously, Friday night after a week of 12-14hr days was 'wine o'clock' - now I've found more room to actually poke around bandcamp / try out bands from magazines / force my wife into enjoying yet another Epica video on the TV.

Curious if anyone else has seen much of a difference in that regard ? Might be totally opposite to mine, but thought it might be interesting ?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:25 am 

Yes, I've been using headphones a lot less. I'm not working at the moment so I don't use public transport and I don't listen to music in the office either. My tinnitus is a bit better.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:34 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Yes, I've been using headphones a lot less. I'm not working at the moment so I don't use public transport and I don't listen to music in the office either. My tinnitus is a bit better.

Hadn't thought about that - must be doing my hearing a treat too not having earbuds in the whole time. Sorry to year you've got the tinnitus, always sounded like a grim thing to have to live with.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 am 

It might just be coincidental, but I think it spurred on a nostalgia kick for what I listened to back in 95-99 (doom/black/gothic). Then again, I had the same kick back in 09-12, so maybe its something I do each decade and covid just came along at the same time. I have found myself missing people/places/etc from the past more so than usual though. I also find myself looking backwards when there's nothing going on in the present and even less to look forward to in the future. I'm sure my worldview in general is more negative due to covid and that probably has seeped into my music tastes somewhat. For the last 20 years, I've mostly been into power/prog (generally more optimistic music), but I tend to favor stuff more dismal, introverted, and negative these days.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm 

The lockdown has definitely had an impact on what I listen to. It’s allowed me to spend time exploring music that I was previously unfamiliar with. For example, I’ve got into groups like Deep Purple, Yes, Kraftwerk, Siouxie & the Banshees, Suede, Muse, and Arctic Monkeys. I’ve also been listening to a lot of early alternative and post-punk like Cocteau Twins, Joy Division, Echo & the Bunnymen and early stuff by the Cure. I haven’t just been focusing on 70s and 80s music either. I’ve also taken the time to check out alternative rock from the 2000s and early 2010s that I largely ignored at the time. I’ve even started to appreciate synth pop and electronic/ambient music. I definitely think that my taste in music has broadened considerably over the last few months as a result so that’s at least one positive that I can take from the current situation.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Hadn't thought about that - must be doing my hearing a treat too not having earbuds in the whole time. Sorry to year you've got the tinnitus, always sounded like a grim thing to have to live with.

Thanks. It only bothers me sometimes when I go to sleep or when I don't sleep enough, most days I don't even notice. Not using earplugs for live shows is really risky and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 pm 

I earned tinnitus in 2013 after using headphones for year and a half and after some time I habituated to it. Ever since it began I stopped using headphones completely and returned to listening to music only on my loudspeakers and on my phone when I'm outside of my room. I've been commuting to work for a few moths before the pandemic, and since then I've been mostly at home, which has been a surprisingly fast switch to my student lifestyle. I'm generally too slow when it comes to discovering new music, I listen a lot of what I already know throughout the day and I always have some rock songs on repeat apart from my standard black metal package, the latest being Finnish Eurovision 2021 candidate.

Gravetemplar wrote:
It only bothers me sometimes when I go to sleep or when I don't sleep enough, most days I don't even notice. Not using earplugs for live shows is really risky and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I wish I can hear the silence, maybe upon my death. And yes, protect your ears, people, and lower the volume.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:51 pm 

While the pandemic sucks, staying a home got me to check out a lot of black/death metal bands I would’ve never discovered. It’s also where I was introduced to war metal, and I gotta thank the pandemic for that!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 pm 

Pandemic life hasn’t changed what I listen to, but it has changed the format of what I listen to. I was never much into ordering anything online before it became the only way to shop! Getting comfortable with ordering in for practically everything else, got me into rebuilding my cassette collection off places like Ebay and Discogs.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:58 pm 

I don't know if I really branched out too much from usual, but I did have a lot more time to check out new shit and I added a lot of things to my library over that time. Explored a lot of Paul Chain and some old metal acts I'd missed. Got into The Smiths a bit, Fiona Apple, Sturgill Simpson, and a John Zorn album. And I've been dabbling in New Model Army, Nick Cave and Blue Oyster Cult lately. Turns out all you need to really give bands' discographies a deep dive is a global pandemic where you have to stay inside all the time.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:30 pm 

Interesting to hear that for many people the pandemic broadened their music tastes and exploration. It really had the opposite effect on me. I've become a lot more narrow in what I'll choose to put on and am also finding myself increasingly picky in terms of what I'd like to own ect. I've also been very black or white with my tastes. For instance I'll flip flop from either wanting to listen to really ugly raw speed metal, or traditional doom metal--and nothing really in between.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:09 am 

Osore wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
It only bothers me sometimes when I go to sleep or when I don't sleep enough, most days I don't even notice. Not using earplugs for live shows is really risky and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I wish I can hear the silence, maybe upon my death. And yes, protect your ears, people, and lower the volume.

Yeah I started using earplugs after I went to see some 3rd division power metal band that just had a big stack of Marshalls for their sound & the highest pitched scream on a singer I've ever heard - actually made my ears hurt, never had that before !

Slater922 wrote:
While the pandemic sucks, staying a home got me to check out a lot of black/death metal bands I would’ve never discovered. It’s also where I was introduced to war metal, and I gotta thank the pandemic for that!

Agreed on that - found myself enjoying the DMP promotions guy a lot, too (the music they share is usually great) - the 'BEHOLD THE DEPTHS OF BLACK METAL GLORY' type descriptions.

doomicus wrote:
For instance I'll flip flop from either wanting to listen to really ugly raw speed metal, or traditional doom metal--and nothing really in between.

Definitely had a bit of that myself - one week is a doom week, next week is a big-hair-and-choruses week, next week is Maiden, then it's folk, and so on.

electric27
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:58 pm 

Holy shit, first post in over a decade what the fuck is up, Metallions? Yeah, I've been getting back into the harder stuff after spending a long many years exploring the murky, tripped-out depths of stoner doom. I'm not sure if the lockdowns really have anything to do with it, I've been working this whole time and they haven't really affected me at all, as I tend to go through long phases. I'm kind of in a death metal/heavy metal mode. I've been listening to a lot of Cannibal Corpse and Mercyful Fate. I also got a coworker into death metal by accident, which is cool. He used to listen to a lot of trap and mumble rap and shit, but ever since he started working with me, he's been listening to a lot of black and death metal. I guess I just have that effect on people.

I don't even know what my signature is.

III

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:41 pm 

I don't think the past year has changed what I listen to so much. It's more a question of how I listen to music - last spring I was doing a lot of neighbourhood walks with my MP3 player listening to whole albums etc.

The last six months I've not been listening to that much music at all, though that's more for other reasons. I did just listen to the new Rob Zombie album though and liked it - not an artist I'm familiar with but it was pretty good.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:03 pm 

The more I think of it, when the pandemic started, I made a point to go back and listen to my older CDs in alphabetical order (many of them haven't been played in a decade or so). I figured mailorder was going to be heavily restricted (I managed to get a good 6+ months of ordering in though) and now was as good of a time as any to revisit that stuff. Things just snowballed like crazy from there. Still stalled at the letter C, I'm such a procrastinator :P

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am 

electric27 wrote:
He used to listen to a lot of trap and mumble rap and shit, but ever since he started working with me, he's been listening to a lot of black and death metal. I guess I just have that effect on people.

Is that a good effect, or is he going home and crying into his stuffed Fenriz doll every night ? :lol:

Death Mantra wrote:
The more I think of it, when the pandemic started, I made a point to go back and listen to my older CDs in alphabetical order (many of them haven't been played in a decade or so). I figured mailorder was going to be heavily restricted (I managed to get a good 6+ months of ordering in though) and now was as good of a time as any to revisit that stuff. Things just snowballed like crazy from there. Still stalled at the letter C, I'm such a procrastinator :P

Alphabetical by album name or by artist ? That's not actually a bad project idea...

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:59 am 

I do this every 5 or so years. Sometimes I start at letter Z and work my way down. I always run out of gas around the middle of the alphabet, so the middle of my collection is the most neglected.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm 

I have been listening to more punk in the last few months than I have in the last, like, 20ish years. A ton of classic hardcore, street punk, crust, etc.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:51 am 

Quote:
Has lockdown/ COVID changed how you listen or what you listen to ?

Nope! But we haven't had lockdowns and covid hasn't had a huge effect on the way I live my life. I did however finally get around to reading Albert Camus The Plague (like everyone else it seems). It had been standing in my bookshelf for a while before the pandemic but it was probably around April last year I decided to finally read it.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:39 am 

InnesI wrote:
I did however finally get around to reading Albert Camus The Plague (like everyone else it seems). It had been standing in my bookshelf for a while before the pandemic but it was probably around April last year I decided to finally read it.

I don’t understand this. The news is saturated with feck-arse Covid round the clock. So why would anyone choose to fill up their entertainment time with more TV shows, movies or books about viruses? I’m about ready to follow Turkmenistan’s example, and ban talking about it altogether!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:07 pm 

I read The Stand last summer, but yeah I drew the line at anything beyond that... just not in the mood. People were obsessively watching Contagion last year and I just couldn't do it.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:56 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
InnesI wrote:
I did however finally get around to reading Albert Camus The Plague (like everyone else it seems). It had been standing in my bookshelf for a while before the pandemic but it was probably around April last year I decided to finally read it.

I don’t understand this. The news is saturated with feck-arse Covid round the clock. So why would anyone choose to fill up their entertainment time with more TV shows, movies or books about viruses? I’m about ready to follow Turkmenistan’s example, and ban talking about it altogether!

Well, I was introduced to Camus philosophy about 2,5 years ago and I really loved to dig into his absurdism. So I read about it and read an English translation of the Myth of Sisyphus. I had also bought The Stranger and The Plague but those are written as novel. I had read The Stranger before Covid-19 and it was ok but I wasn't impressed so I left The Plague for another time. Once the pandemic hit I kept seeing The Plague in bookshops so I decided to go ahead and read it.

For me it hasn't been all that saturated with covid-reports. I follow the news here and there but I do not drench myself in news coverage. And when something becomes to big a thing I get tired of it and actively try to avoid getting to saturated with it. It's a mental health process. It was the same with all the Trump reporting. Had I treid to follow that I'd have gone crazy. Same with all the covid stuff.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 am 

No particular change, except that I'm listening to much more music.

I did notice something, however. A lot of the stuff I listened to last spring and summer, during the most chaotic initial period of this whole shitshow, I'm kinda wary of listening to now. Too many bad associations with the peak anxiety period for me.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 am 

At first I thought, "No. It hasn't", but when I started thinking about it a bit more in terms of an entire year of this, I think it has.

Last spring, at the onset of this, I found myself doing a deep dive into some huge (non-metal) bands/artists I had never truly explored and went on a massive kick of the first wave of rock n' roll/doo-wop/early R&B/early pop. I was listening to a lot of Dion, Ritchie Valens, Everly Brothers, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry. I had listened to a lot of the big singles from these artists, but never the deep cuts. I also went on a huge kick of listening to a lot of singles from funk/disco and other 70's music.

Once summer came around, I went back to my usual seeking out new music once the initial "shock" of the pandemic hit. But I've found since January, I haven't found much new music of any genre I enjoy all that much. I just looked at my running list of AOTY that I update as I hear new music, and as of right now, all my albums in the top 5 wouldn't have cracked my top 25 last year. I don't know if that's a product of the pandemic or my lack of focus (which also, in and of itself may have been caused by this ongoing monotonous daily routine)

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:46 pm 

I don't mean to bum anyone out, but I'm surprised there aren't more people to whom a lot of music they used to listen to has lost meaning.
I find it difficult to listen to metal, punk, rock 'n' roll and the likes thinking that the era of live music and packed, sweaty shows might be gone forever. Even though I already didn't go to many shows anymore for other reasons, to me that is music that is inextricably tied to that dimension of live, close, maybe even uncomfortable human contact.
So the pandemic definitely had an impact on what I listen to. I still enjoy music that to me is less tied to the live aspect, perhaps I could say more "intellectual" stuff, mostly classical, electronic, experimental, some blues/jazz, less and less rock. Anything that's not meant to make people dance or move, basically. These days, everything else sounds like the past to me.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 pm 

Shows aren't gone forever, I'll lick the armpit of the drunkest beer drinking degenerate at a metal concert the second a month passes after my second dose of the vax.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:35 pm 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
I find it difficult to listen to metal, punk, rock 'n' roll and the likes thinking that the era of live music and packed, sweaty shows might be gone forever. Even though I already didn't go to many shows anymore for other reasons, to me that is music that is inextricably tied to that dimension of live, close, maybe even uncomfortable human contact.

Huge crowds are not a thing of the past. The world has been through pandemics before and gotten out on the other side. We'll do it this time around as well. And its not even close to the most dangerous pandemics ever.

I can only speak for myself but to me music is enjoyed best in album form and in headphones. I'm not that effected by no live-shows (even if I did go at times).
Ad hominem

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:37 pm 

Based on how people are acting in Florida, crowds and big concerts will eventually be just fine.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 am 

InnesI wrote:
Prigione Eterna wrote:

Huge crowds are not a thing of the past. The world has been through pandemics before and gotten out on the other side. We'll do it this time around as well. And its not even close to the most dangerous pandemics ever.

I can only speak for myself but to me music is enjoyed best in album form and in headphones. I'm not that effected by no live-shows (even if I did go at times).

The Bloodstock festival in the UK is trying to go ahead this year - they've had their US bands cancel, and some of the Europeans too, but have decided to try holding the festival anyway (the other big events in the UK have cancelled now, as have most tours). What's interesting there, and with reference to your remarks - plenty of people that would otherwise be jumping at the chance for some live music are saying 'are you sure now ? is it safe ?' and opting out. There's definitely been a change in people's taste for big, crowded events - how long that lasts is another story.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 am 

Methuen wrote:
The Bloodstock festival in the UK is trying to go ahead this year - they've had their US bands cancel, and some of the Europeans too, but have decided to try holding the festival anyway (the other big events in the UK have cancelled now, as have most tours). What's interesting there, and with reference to your remarks - plenty of people that would otherwise be jumping at the chance for some live music are saying 'are you sure now ? is it safe ?' and opting out. There's definitely been a change in people's taste for big, crowded events - how long that lasts is another story.

The UFC 261 has sold out a 15000 seat venue for April 24 at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida. This is a sell out and the arena will be packed from what I understand - no social distancing. WWE plans to go ahead with WrestleMania in April at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. Initially planned for 25000 people (although in this case the stadium is huge with a capacity of 65000, so it will take into account social distancing).

I actually think certain people will be pumped once they get the opportunity. If Bloodstock goes ahead I'm sure they will sell out all the tickets.
Ad hominem

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 am 

People all over the world have clearly shown they rank making money and having a good time higher than avoiding a public health catastrophe among their priorities.
Instead, what I think is concerning is epidemiologists talking about the need to keep safety measures/restrictions/precautionary policies in place for years, the potential for an "age of pandemics", the "new normal" etc. etc. I find all this quite at odds with the culture of live music, which I think is more tied to some genres than others and these would take the brunt of it.
With the sluggish pace of the vaccination process globally, enterprises not willing to waive patents etc., variants coming up all over the place, it's hard not to foresee this taking years to completely go away, if ever, without at least occasional flare-ups.
Personally, while I feel like I could attend, say, a classical concert with a mask on, social distancing and so on, I have a hard time thinking a grindcore festival could work like this.
Also, maybe it's my own unfortunate experience, but I've been at festivals in the past which standards of hygiene rival the worst Chinese wet market. Talking about an unhealthy latrine-to-people ratio.
Sorry for being a prophet of doom, I'm happy to be contradicted.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 am 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
wn unfortunate experience, but I've been at festivals in the past which standards of hygiene rival the worst Chinese wet market. Talking about an unhealthy latrine-to-people ratio.

I broadly agree with you, but that last point made me laugh - Bloodstock in 2019 had put the drinking water taps next to the toilets. You can imagine what that caused by Sunday :lol:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:35 pm 

Not really, it's just increased the total volume of it and my overall interest level, since there haven't been quite as many demands on my time as before it. It triggered some early nostalgia, pulling out old mini-discs and cassettes, and spending a lot of time working on various lists (which I make all the time anyway, but the amount certainly went up much more).

severzhavnost wrote:
I don’t understand this. The news is saturated with feck-arse Covid round the clock. So why would anyone choose to fill up their entertainment time with more TV shows, movies or books about viruses?

I think it made sense early on, I watched a few movies and shows related to viruses and pandemics because other people were talking about them, and it becomes something of a coping mechanism, to see people in more dire situations to realize our own isn't quite as bad. But I think by fall I mostly stopped paying attention to anything about it at all on my own, I got my daily fill just by existing and catching random headlines and discussions with other people.

jimbies wrote:
But I've found since January, I haven't found much new music of any genre I enjoy all that much. I just looked at my running list of AOTY that I update as I hear new music, and as of right now, all my albums in the top 5 wouldn't have cracked my top 25 last year. I don't know if that's a product of the pandemic or my lack of focus (which also, in and of itself may have been caused by this ongoing monotonous daily routine)

Yeah, I talked about this maybe a month ago. Last year seemed like an amazing year for music at least partially because I was immersed in it more than ever, and '21 hasn't come anywhere near to living up to it yet. It's of course still early, and I have found a few things since then that I've enjoyed a bit more, but 50-some '21 albums heard and only a handful I think would even have a chance at making my overall top 40 from last year. There are some of the others that I hope to given additional plays to at some point, so maybe they'll grow on me.

Prigione Eterna wrote:
I don't mean to bum anyone out, but I'm surprised there aren't more people to whom a lot of music they used to listen to has lost meaning.

I can see that for people who live for live music. I enjoy going to concerts, but historically probably less than average compared to others who are similarly obsessed with music. I'm probably a bit more interested than most in various production and arrangement details that go into albums and don't usually translate very well in a live setting. And before the pandemic hit I was almost on more of a track to becoming a film buff, having been far more casual about it until my 30s, but then spending a lot of time in theaters due to Movie Pass and then A-List, plus watching lots of classic films on my own. So I'd mostly stopped going to shows at all in lieu of that for a few years. Now the movie fascination has tanked and my interest in music went back up to all-time high levels, and once this is all over (I feel reasonably confident we'll get past it eventually) I'll probably try and go make up for lost time and see more shows than I ever have.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:07 pm 

No. How would or could it?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:41 pm 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
So the pandemic definitely had an impact on what I listen to. I still enjoy music that to me is less tied to the live aspect, perhaps I could say more "intellectual" stuff, mostly classical, electronic, experimental, some blues/jazz, less and less rock. Anything that's not meant to make people dance or move, basically. These days, everything else sounds like the past to me.

All the more reason to listen to that music more than ever! A) live shows will return and B) if they don’t, or maybe you personally never feel safe going back, then at least this music represents enjoyed memories that you can always reflect on and smile.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 pm 

The only “lockdown” I had, was 6 weeks, last March and April, where I didn’t work. I actually got state and federal unemployment shit. It makes me a hypocrite, for taking it, but, I like that I got payed more than I actually would’ve, working. It’s good that my government actually gave me something, rather than just taxing me, to subsidize their donors, and pay religious idiots to breed.

I listen to the same music as always. I usually end up trying out something really different, and regretting wasting my time. I’m still the same elitist asshole as always.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm 

All things considered, two big things. First off i've discovered, mainly through Youtube, at the very least 200 new releases by bands i either barely or never heard of. I was basically caught up in a musical rut of listening to the same things i had for years so this was really refreshing.

Secondly, i've been making a real exploration into the history and Golden Age of Prog. A whole lot of those bands i knew of one way or another for years but not as in depth as i know them now.

Last edited by CrudeNoiseMonger on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:08 pm 

Prigione Eterna wrote:
People all over the world have clearly shown they rank making money and having a good time higher than avoiding a public health catastrophe among their priorities.
Instead, what I think is concerning is epidemiologists talking about the need to keep safety measures/restrictions/precautionary policies in place for years, the potential for an "age of pandemics", the "new normal" etc. etc. I find all this quite at odds with the culture of live music, which I think is more tied to some genres than others and these would take the brunt of it.
With the sluggish pace of the vaccination process globally, enterprises not willing to waive patents etc., variants coming up all over the place, it's hard not to foresee this taking years to completely go away, if ever, without at least occasional flare-ups.
Personally, while I feel like I could attend, say, a classical concert with a mask on, social distancing and so on, I have a hard time thinking a grindcore festival could work like this.
Also, maybe it's my own unfortunate experience, but I've been at festivals in the past which standards of hygiene rival the worst Chinese wet market. Talking about an unhealthy latrine-to-people ratio.

Dude I hear what you're saying, but the vaccines seem to be quite effective.

They may need to make booster shots for the new variants, but from what I've heard it will be far easier to create similar vaccines for the new variants than it was to initially create the first one because at least now we have created one that is similar to the others so we aren't breaking entirely new ground.

Sure, they aren't 100% effective, but still quite effective so for me, I'm getting vaccinated soon and if new booster shots for other variants come out and are necessary I'll get all of them as soon as possible and then I'm going to live my life as usual and if I want to go to concerts I will and I don't think there's any reason for you or most people not to.

The only thing I will do differently for a while is wear masks in certain places if the CDC says that it's necessary to prevent asymptomatic spread if I can potentially get it but still not feel too bad due to my having the vaccine, but otherwise, I think the worst of this is over in terms of literally not being able to do ANYTHING like we used to.

I'm not saying it's over, cause it's not, especially for the idiots who won't get the vaccine or wear masks, but for those of us who get the vaccine I think we'll be ok.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:01 pm 

I'm on the pessimistic side with Prigione Eterna here. We are creating a bottle neck with vaccines, don't be surprised when scary new mutants emerge before the vaccination is over. As much as I feel uncomfortable with mask and will probably remove it when the summer heat overwhelms me in the public transport if it's not crowded, it's going to be Russian roulette because we never know what we are going to catch. On a long run we don't expect the virus to become much more lethal, but everything that ensures its transmission from person to person is going to work. The point of ''parasite-host'' interaction is to make a coexistence, albeit with never-ending arms race.
The UK and Israel strategy works because they combine lock-down with vaccination, but in my country the numbers are high again primarily because we don't have a strict lock-down, and I've been suspecting the new variant is among us for quite some time.

To stay a bit more on topic in terms of music, I think concert places should be rearranged so that people can sit or stand while keeping the distance, but I can't imagine metal and rock fans behaving like they are on a funeral, unless it's a super slow funeral doom. XD People don't want to embrace this ''new normality'' and it is going to prolong the situation; I already have a feeling of being in a vicious cycle.

Prigione Eterna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:54 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Dude I hear what you're saying, but the vaccines seem to be quite effective.

They may need to make booster shots for the new variants, but from what I've heard it will be far easier to create similar vaccines for the new variants than it was to initially create the first one because at least now we have created one that is similar to the others so we aren't breaking entirely new ground.

Sure, they aren't 100% effective, but still quite effective so for me, I'm getting vaccinated soon and if new booster shots for other variants come out and are necessary I'll get all of them as soon as possible and then I'm going to live my life as usual and if I want to go to concerts I will and I don't think there's any reason for you or most people not to.

The only thing I will do differently for a while is wear masks in certain places if the CDC says that it's necessary to prevent asymptomatic spread if I can potentially get it but still not feel too bad due to my having the vaccine, but otherwise, I think the worst of this is over in terms of literally not being able to do ANYTHING like we used to.

I'm not saying it's over, cause it's not, especially for the idiots who won't get the vaccine or wear masks, but for those of us who get the vaccine I think we'll be ok.

No offense, but I'm going to borrow a phrase that I've read in a Paul Krugman's article: Americans have trouble understanding that other countries are real.
Of course the vaccines are effective, but you have to actually inject them into people's arms...
This is not how you manage a global pandemic. Pharmaceutical enterprises can't keep up with the production. At this pace, the US and few others are going to be fine, but the rest of the world will take much more to get back to "normal", whatever that means. I don't see the political will to compel them to waive the patents or at least give licenses to others to produce them, so I'm not sure how it's going to turn in the long run. Worst case, new variants could even outpace vaccination, and that would come back to bite the US, too.

In short, I think it's going to be at least very troublesome for a long time in much of the world for this kind of events. I mean, I can't think of many that are potentially more hazardous than a metal concert, drunk people elbow to elbow, screaming, slam dancing and whatnot. And yet, generally speaking, metal and rock music just isn't the same without that culture. It's not chamber music, no matter how you dress it. Metal and rock can't live off home studio one-man bands and streaming services. This is why, even if you're not that much into live shows, just listening to it sounds wrong, almost preposterous.

Technically, with the breakthroughs in the development of vaccines, going back to what it used to be could be possible, I'm not denying that, but on a global scale I just don't see the political commitment to do it.

Last edited by Prigione Eterna on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next