Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:04 am 

So there's been multiple instances where I buy an album off of iTunes Store and then I check back on the album in iTunes store several years later out of curiosity to see if its still there, read some product reviews and to see what other albums are available for that band on iTunes. And what I've found is that many of the albums I bought several years ago do not appear in the search results anymore. But despite this observance, I luckily still have the ability to listen to the albums through Apple Music player app on my iPhone, listen to albums through iTunes program on PC and sync albums to phone. But could I lose access to the albums at some point?

Does iTunes really only have certain albums for a limited amount of time? Why do they never advertise this as such like “Album only available for a limited amount of time . Hurry, buy now!”? And why do they never reassure customers by saying somewhere in the player apps: “we no longer own rights to sell this album, but since it has already been purchased when we did own rights it will forever remain in your library.”? The lack of transparency, organization and communication is stressful to me.

I also really wish there was some kind of record that could be accessed by the customer in the app that shows when each of your albums were purchased and downloaded. I would like to know when some of my favorite albums were purchased. Just looking at the date of purchase would take me back to a nostalgic time in my head when I was first getting into the album.

Anyone else feel the same as I do regarding iTunes? And does anyone have any answers to my questions?

List of albums that were once available for purchase but no longer come up in search results when you search for them on iTunes stores:

Dark Fortress - Tales from Eternal Dusk (the version I have has been replaced with some kind of "remaster" version)
Impaled Nazarene - Ugra Karma (no where to be found)
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence (no where to be found)
Varathron - Walpurgisnacht (the version I have has been replaced with some kind of "remaster" version)

Last edited by Commisaur on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:08 am 

Here's some terms and conditions from Apple that should help answer your question. It's important to remember that you're not purchasing the music virtually unconditionally, like you do with CD sales or digital music downloads.

Spoiler: show
You agree that the Service and certain Products include security technology that limits your use of Products and that, whether or not Products are limited by security technology, you shall use Products in compliance with the applicable usage rules established by Apple and its licensors (“Usage Rules”), and that any other use of the Products may constitute a copyright infringement. Any security technology is an inseparable part of the Products. Apple reserves the right to modify the Usage Rules at any time. You agree not to violate, circumvent, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise tamper with any of the security technology related to such Usage Rules for any reason—or to attempt or assist another person to do so. Usage Rules may be controlled and monitored by Apple for compliance purposes, and Apple reserves the right to enforce the Usage Rules without notice to you. You agree not to access the Service by any means other than through software that is provided by Apple for accessing the Service.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:43 am 

I believe that the issue is really not that iTunes has releases for a limited time and more to do with the record labels, who either discontinue releases or lose the rights to distribute them. I don't use iTunes anymore because I don't have any Apple devices but I did go look back because I had purchased some random songs many years ago. They are still in my library even though if I log into the Store they don't show up as Purchases, which is weird. I have the songs downloaded to my computer so my recommendation is that if you don't want to lose your stuff to make sure you have it downloaded.

Reply to topic