Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:55 am 

As a response to the Worst Songs Ever thread, which songs would you say are your personal favorite or your idea of the greatest (non-metal preferred, but certainly not restricted to it). If your favorite is someone else's example of mediocrity, down a heroic swig of your least favorite beverage to avoid a fight.

I recall plenty arguing that one of the best songs of the '70s was Led Zeppelin's "Achilles Last Stand", and I think it's certainly pretty good, definitely one of my favorites of their discography with some of my favorite riffs and solos of the band.
Spoiler: show

Similarly but far less recognized would have to be Soundgarden's "Like Suicide," which is a very Zeppelinesque track that ended Superunknown, and yet the song is... well, superunknown! I sometimes assume that it's so overlooked because it was the 90s and that sort of epic-rocking was no longer in vogue. Of course, then I heard the acoustic version, and...

I'm surprised a track like this isn't listed as one of the best of the 90s!

One of the odder choices I've had but one I stand by has to be Radiohead's "Idioteque." Nothing about that song works— repetitive, claustrophobic, Thom Yorke sounds sicker than usual singing it, and the structure's a tad weird even for them— and yet I don't think I'd doubt myself if I said it was #1 favorite song.

But that's just me. Which are your favorites? Whether commonly accepted or just your personal favorite songs that might go against the consensus.
Live performances also count! Even if it's not an officially recorded product or anything, or one artist covering another.
Like this:

Similarly, even if it's music from a soundtrack or some novelty project. As long as it's among your favorites.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:20 pm 

Nirvana is pretty uncontroversial for a top-tier rock list, and happens to be a personal favorite anyway. Here's my personal pick, though obviously they don't get the songwriting credit for this one (I've hardly even listened to David Bowie's anyway):

Swans is my favorite non-metal (or metal-adjacent) band. I've been weirdly fascinated with them for years. Their music is not for everyone, and (like metal) apt to sound ridiculous and way overwrought to non-fans, though its extremeness makes it easy to appreciate "in theory" even if you don't viscerally connect with it. If I had to select a pair of songs as "iconic," and capturing almost the full range of their sound (pre-reunion, anyway), it'd be these:

As for post-reunion (and pre-Leaving Meaning) - and also worth a mention because of the sheer power (unmatched in my experience) of their live act - I think "The Knot" epitomizes what they were about, and not just because of its length. The Deliquescence live album version used to be up on YouTube, but unfortunately all I can find now are some fan recordings, which I can't attest to (and don't feel like sitting through because they're 40-plus minutes).

Runner up from the same category would be, oh, I dunno... "The Apostate" (though I haven't really listened to any live versions):

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 pm 

This for me is the summit of the mountain. The definitive version, probably the greatest performance by anyone ever:

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:43 pm 

There's probably a fair few I'd consider top tier, but I'd put "Estranged" by Guns n' Roses above all else. I'm in awe whenever I hear it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:53 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_J11k6kkc

Jack White "Entitlement" has been my pick for a while now - it's just a calm song and the lyrics are packed with raging mixed emotions and unreliable narrator stuff and that's fascinating to me. I relate to the sentiment despite it being juvenile - I believe he wrote this as a kid and only brought it back way later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-5viLQhp0

Much more recent, but New Model Army "Whitelight" has to be one of the most cathartic and epic things I've heard. Just a lot of feeling packed into it. It's music you could set against epic sunsets or whatever other weather conditions very well.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:57 pm 

megalowho wrote:
Nirvana is pretty uncontroversial for a top-tier rock list, and happens to be a personal favorite anyway. Here's my personal pick, though obviously they don't get the songwriting credit for this one (I've hardly even listened to David Bowie's anyway):

Swans is my favorite non-metal (or metal-adjacent) band. I've been weirdly fascinated with them for years. Their music is not for everyone, and (like metal) apt to sound ridiculous and way overwrought to non-fans, though its extremeness makes it easy to appreciate "in theory" even if you don't viscerally connect with it. If I had to select a pair of songs as "iconic," and capturing almost the full range of their sound (pre-reunion, anyway), it'd be these:

As for post-reunion (and pre-Leaving Meaning) - and also worth a mention because of the sheer power (unmatched in my experience) of their live act - I think "The Knot" epitomizes what they were about, and not just because of its length. The Deliquescence live album version used to be up on YouTube, but unfortunately all I can find now are some fan recordings, which I can't attest to (and don't feel like sitting through because they're 40-plus minutes).

Runner up from the same category would be, oh, I dunno... "The Apostate" (though I haven't really listened to any live versions):

The whole album shows for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEguGPX ... yGJwIQF-49

I like Deliquescence but I miss Thor.

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:23 am 

I grew up in a Beatles household and I'm eternally grateful to my parents for introducing them to me at such a young age. I don't know that I would be the music fan I am today had that not been the case. That extends to my dad's man-crush on John Lennon, and his favorite song of his, "Working Class Hero," which I hold in high regard as well. You strip away all the fame and fortune and you hear the man tell his truth. He knows where he comes from and it's not a good place; a reality many people unfortunately face. It's also been covered by numerous artists and while I thank them for giving it a go and attempting to honor the original, it's a song only one person was allowed to sing and do it so effectively.

I've been a fan of The Cranberries ever since they hit mainstream waves here in the US. While it wasn't exactly original to use sorrowful and/or pessimistic lyrics back at that time in the '90s, The Cranberries stood out to me right away as a band that had sincere intent. The moodiness of many of their songs mixed with Delores's voice opened up my imagination in a way that no other band of that time did, and who knows, maybe it was another cobblestone laid on my path to becoming an editor. "Linger," in particular, hits hard. I had no concept of the song back then (I was 10), but something about the classical instruments that are actually the driving force of the song, just hit me profoundly. Funny thing is, it wasn't cool to be my age back at that time and be a fan of The Cranberries, but I can't tell you how nostalgic EVERY '90s kid I know gets whenever a Cranberries song would come on at the bar or at a party/gathering. That is, pre-Covid, of course.

I don't have an elaborate story for my love of "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band. It's literally the only song by them that I know. Again, takes me back to childhood and all the summer fun I used to have, which oddly is about the only time of the year I would hear this on the radio. This is the perfect example of smooth classic rock, it just feels like you're riding a train and watching the country go by.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:20 am 

Cool that it shows up on your end, Gravetemplar, so maybe some other people can see it, too. I get “blocked in your country on copyright grounds.”

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 pm 

This thread could easily turn into a rabbit-hole of me compiling a list of my top 100, 250 or 500 non-metal songs. It would be absolutely stacked with Springsteen and Sam Cooke songs, as they are my two favourites. But for the sake of the community, and my own sanity, I will try to limit it to about 10 and not repeat artists.

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
This is my all-time favourite song. I think it is a lyrical masterpiece, and the best opener to the best album ever recorded.

The Gaslight Anthem - The Backseat
Speaking of bookends, this track which closes one of my favourite albums of all time is an emotion-packed ending to the record. The crescendo of this song still gives me a lump in my throat every time.

Sam Cooke - Bring It On Home To Me (Live From The Apollo Version)
Holy Hell, How on earth is there so much desperation and urgency in a single performance. The extended intro, Sam having his band in the palm of his hand, the audience hanging on every word and cue. Toward the end of the song, when Sam pleads "You gotta do that for me ONE. MORE. TIME", it feels almost certain he is going to die if he doesn't get the last bit of energy out of himself, the audience and the band.

Kanye West - Runaway
I know people are either all-in or all-out on Kanye, so I'm not trying to convince anyone here, but this is by far my favourite Hip-Hop/Rap song ever. If a rap song could be considered a sprawling epic, I would say this song fits the title. Can you sense a theme in my favourite songs? I do love a track with undeniable desperation, and this song is no different. Add the music video to this, and it's one hell of a piece of art in my opinion.

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
Could have picked a dozen different Radiohead songs, but I think Fake Plastic Trees is one of the best ballads ever.

Justin Rutledge - Out Of The Woods
I'm probably the only person on this forum that listens to Justin Rutledge (unless there are other Canadian indie/folk lurkers). This track is so tasteful and smooth. The instrumentation and production is warm and controlled. Justin's vocal delivery is perfect.

Phoebe Bridgers - Funeral
Might be the saddest song I've ever heard. Hit me extra hard because it was released the same year I lost a dear friend to suicide.

Marconi Union - Weightless
Apparently, scientifically proven to lower anxiety and heart rate. I've been listening to this song on repeat during distressing times for years. Here is an article about the effects of the song:
https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/neur ... rcent.html

Garth Brooks - That Summer
As much as I want to fight against putting this song on this list, I don't think I can. This is pure nostalgia overload for me. I was a huge country (and especially Garth) fan as a little kid in the early 90s, and this was always my favourite song. In 2003, Once I was 18 and in my first serious relationship (which started in the summer), her and I would listen to this song on long drives. Now that life has gone on, and after 16 years together, me and that girl aren't together anymore, this song just cuts deeper.

Bryan Adams - Summer of '69
Again, trying to not be cheesy, but fuck it. This is the banger of a lifetime. The older and more removed from your glory days you get, the more you realize the underlining sadness in this song.

BONUS TRACKS - SONGS ON THE ARCHIVES THAT AREN'T ACTUALLY REALLY METAL.

Sunn O))) & Boris - The Sinking Belle (Blue Sheep)
This is probably my second favourite song of all time (Next to Thunder Road). I have listened to this song on loop for as long as 12 hours sometimes. I will put this on to sleep to, write to, relax to, I've even exercises/ran to this song, as I've found it can put me in an almost transcendental state where I don't think about time or distance. I swear this song has some type of sorcery in it.

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town
Always thought of it as more of a rock song than metal (although I do agree Lizzy belongs in the archives). This has my second favourite guitar solo of all time in it (first will always be Where The Rain Grows by Helloween). I absolutely refuse to listen to this song outside of the parameters of May Long Weekend - Labour Day; unless a very unseasonable heatwave arrives outside those dates. "Won't be long 'til summer comes..." A soundtrack to endless summer nights.

Anathema - Untouchable Part I & II, The Gathering Of The Clouds, Lightning Song, Sunlight
Otherworldly. This entire album is a borderline religious experience for me, but the first 5 songs in particular are spellbinding. I never listen to just one of these 5, it's always the full set in order. Without getting into detail, this album (and this run of songs) has literally saved my life on one occasion.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:04 pm 

This changes day by day and is absolutely impossible to do. I also don't post on the other thread that's the alternate take, but that's because I often end up loving songs I initially wasn't into.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Much more recent, but New Model Army "Whitelight" has to be one of the most cathartic and epic things I've heard. Just a lot of feeling packed into it. It's music you could set against epic sunsets or whatever other weather conditions very well.

New Model Army has been a massive favorite of mine for years. One of my favorite bands, period, regardless of genre. I adore any band that can hit me with the haunting beauty of "Knievel," the righteous anger behind "The Hunt" or "Here Comes the War," or the heartfelt ode to missing your loved one that is "Eleven Years." Always on heavy rotation for me.

Similarly, I don't think Muse has released a bad album, and I'd put Black Holes and Revelations in my top 5 on a regular basis.

And for pure excitement, I don't think anything can top the US/UK punk scenes from the late 70s till the mid 80s.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:55 pm 

I've been obsessed with NMA for a month or so now. They seem to just have something for any occasion really. I like bands that vary it up as much as they do. Hard hitting riffs sometimes and then soulful acoustic stuff another. It sounds basic but they just have such a unique voice and tone to everything they do. A real character. Brilliant lyrics too - I need to read some more of 'em.

Muse is another one - Black Holes & Revelations is a wild cyberpunk rock opera of an album and I love it. I think they fell off hard after The Resistance though. Just not the same level for me at all on the newer ones.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 pm 

Muse are pretty great although their stuff after BH&R is somewhat hit and miss. I'd say Absolution might be their strongest album. Truly fantastic live band though, absolutely made for arenas and stadiums in terms of spectacle and showmanship.

They get compared to Queen a lot in this regard, but I'd say another obvious comparison would be the wilder excesses of Emerson, Lake & Palmer in terms of OTT musical approach and who-gives-a-fuck attitude in their sound and performances. There's a sense of fun there.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:47 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

New Model Army has been a massive favorite of mine for years. One of my favorite bands, period, regardless of genre. I adore any band that can hit me with the haunting beauty of "Knievel," the righteous anger behind "The Hunt" or "Here Comes the War," or the heartfelt ode to missing your loved one that is "Eleven Years." Always on heavy rotation for me.

Similarly, I don't think Muse has released a bad album, and I'd put Black Holes and Revelations in my top 5 on a regular basis.

And for pure excitement, I don't think anything can top the US/UK punk scenes from the late 70s till the mid 80s.

Joining on the NMA love, i just love this band and the lyrics are something beautiful. Thunder and Consolation is one of my absolute favorites, in particular Ballad of Bodmin Pill was my song to go when i was completely lost in my later uni years.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:35 am 

Ok so this is a mix of metal and non-metal, but hey.

Lucretia My Reflection by the Sisters of Mercy. I know it's pretty cliche for metalheads to like them, but fark this song has a beautiful melody that goes all the way through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

Would? by Alice in Chains - I seriously wonder at anyone that doesn't just fuckin love this (it's probably metal):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

Kokomo by the Beach Boys - I dunno, this is just the soundtrack to fuckin LOVING LIFE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWmbLS2_ec

Say Hello to Heaven by Temple of the Dog - this is just a testament to how amazing Cornell was. There's so much vocal ability here but then the use of restraint... just before he hits that high note you expect, he leaves you short, wanting more. Just gets me every time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pt03oU6RHI

Shiny Happy People by REM. I can't think of an interesting description, but this song just rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA

Alles aus Liebe by Die Toten Hosen: this is just a beautiful yet fucked up song, I can't recommend it enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z752hzudXiY

Afternoons and Coffeespoons by the Crash Test Dummies. Honestly I just wanted to post this entire album, but one song will have to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YeGv5xHUU

Hazard by Richard Marx. This is AOR perfection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmHHoI9beM

When my Baby Smiles at me I go to Rehab by Frenzal Rhomb: this is a short, pretty silly song by an Aussie punk band, but it is just musically perfect for what it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MAUwHSHt08

edit: Dig up Her Bones by the Misfits. This is vocal harmony perfected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSLz5FeXUg

Could go on. I saw Estranged above... oh yeah. Coma as well. I know a lot of people love Appetite but GNR doing their epic stuff was every bit as good. Estranged, Coma, You Could be Mine, etc... all amazing

I also love a whole lot of real standards no one needs posted: Africa, Stairway to Heaven, heaps of Johnny Cash, etc.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:02 am 

Turner wrote:
Ok so this is a mix of metal and non-metal, but hey.

Lucretia My Reflection by the Sisters of Mercy. I know it's pretty cliche for metalheads to like them, but fark this song has a beautiful melody that goes all the way through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

Spot on with the Sisters - Floodland is one of those albums of pure distilled genius.

My choices are probably horrid clichés, though I prefer the versions here in every case -

Led Zep - Stairway (London 1975) - there are many great versions of this song, this is mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxfniXCwrJA

Purple - Child in Time (Japan 1972) - with the extra solo... Blackmore almost sounds like he's enjoying himself here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tsUn2UreZc

Pink Floyd - Echoes (Pompeii 1971) - best version ever. Hands down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJgNvwmsRA

The Birthday Massacre - Kill the Lights (2006) - yes it's dubbed over, but away from the true blue classics, this is one of my favorite songs ever, and with the video you get that early 2000s synthy-gothy-rocky energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLHKnaTGguQ

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Joining on the NMA love, i just love this band and the lyrics are something beautiful. Thunder and Consolation is one of my absolute favorites, in particular Ballad of Bodmin Pill was my song to go when i was completely lost in my later uni years.

Ballad of Bodmin Pill is a fucking hell of an anthem. Great chorus. "Green and Gray" off that album is so tremendous too.

Some other choices...

Kendrick Lamar "The Blacker the Berry" - a biting, hugely cathartic and menacing piece of music, a real statement.

Kanye West "Blood on the Leaves" - tremendously emotional epic of a song.

Sleater Kinney "Jumpers" - exquisite melodies and excellent lyrics. This whole album is a huge wild trip.

Deep Purple "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming" - This long half-ballad is just so emotional and epic. A masterful construct and shows why this band has endured. Nothing but the basics - great playing and soul.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:44 pm 

INXS has a lot of incredible songs but I can listen to Don't Change on repeat for the rest of my life.

Brian Wilson recorded a cover of the Righteous Brothers You Lost that Loving Feeling and I asolutely love his take on it with his iconic vocals, which are pretty different than the deep, husky tone of the Righteous Brothers. It's like Brian didn't strive for perfection with this song, but it works so well because of that.

I never really listened to any Eurthymics songs other than the few monster hits but Right by Your Side is so stupidly fucking catchy.

Having a few beers and belting out this Conway Twitty classic is a lot of fun

And I like seeing all the love for New Model Army. Such a criminally underrated band.

untappd: patrick_g

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
There's probably a fair few I'd consider top tier, but I'd put "Estranged" by Guns n' Roses above all else. I'm in awe whenever I hear it.

interesting choice. Estranged, just recently became my favorite song off Use Your Illusion I & II in the past few years. I am such a big fan of Appetite for Destruction, that those albums never really did it for me. Never gave them a full listen. Not sure how I heard it a few years ago, but I really like that song a lot now. I feel a sense of awe when I hear the song as well.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:13 pm 

Tears For Fears - "Everybody Wants To Rule the World"

This is a tune that in my teens I would hear occasionally in obscure places, but never at a good time to try and look it up, so it would just be an instance of "hey, there's that cool song again". Finally in my early 20s when I went through a new wave/synth-pop binge I stumbled across it, "so that's the song!" A hundred or two plays later that year, and many more in years following, it remain arguably my favorite song. The propulsive juxtaposition of rhythms simultaneously, the melody, the chord progressions, all the guitar parts, it's so perfectly structured. Someone released the studio stems to it some time ago, and it's fascinating to mute and solo different combinations of them to see how many layers there are to it. And while I have a tendency to strive for polish and precision, the appeal of this song hits me in completely inexplicable ways. The vocals don't sound quite in tune (and I prefer Roland's vocals to Curt's on pretty much all of their other songs), and the guitar solo is sloppy, like a one-take session, and yet I love it all. It also lends itself well to reinterpretation, and while I don't love every cover version I've heard of it, there are numerous ones that add to my enjoyment of it.

Aziza Mustafa Zadeh - "Dance of Fire"

Easily one of the most unheralded artists of the last few decades, this is such a lush and rich track with an elegant melody and vibrant performances from a superlative cast of musicians. Aziza is my favorite pianist, and is supported here by deft work from Al DiMeola, Omar Hakim, Stanley Clarke and others.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Dead Flag Blues"

Conceptually, post-rock is a genre that holds intriguing promise, but of the many albums I've heard in the style, most leave that potential unactualized. GY!BE is the exception, and while there are many of their works I could select, this maybe very well be my favorite of them. The haunting atmosphere, conveyed through the mournful violins and the enervated guitar lines, and it doesn't even need to build to a frenzy like some of their others do to achieve the surreal feeling of a forgotten wasteland. Never has being mired in misery felt so intoxicating.

Liquid Divine - "Comagirl"

This group has some of the most riveting orchestration, synthesizer programming, and rhythmic concoction I've heard. Normally they have a roboticized vocal presentation, but this guest vocal from Yrea adds some humanity to their infectious cyber affairs.

Kings of Convenience - "Cayman Islands"

The interplay between this duo is incredible, with their interlocking steel-string and nylon-string guitar parts, and how while neither have spectacular voices on their own, they harmonize well and craft a deeply relaxing and cathartic experience to balance their frostbitten Norwegian countrymen that are popular here.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
INXS has a lot of incredible songs but I can listen to Don't Change on repeat for the rest of my life.

I'm not an INXS fan so much, but I always loved that song. Anthemic as a motherfucker but with enough of a new wave & college rock vibe to completely avoid the AOR tag. I swear The Killers' entire career sounds like attempts to capture this song's magic.

Some of my top-tiers:

Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady: I've avoided R&B like the plague for most of my life, but recently divebombed into the stuff, even getting into some of the more commercial artists from this century with jazzy or funky leanings (eg. Alicia Keys, Amerie), but it all goes back to this song from 1971 for me. As much as her soul-pop hits from the 60's are iconic, having the queen of soul ripping it up over some serious no-bullshit FUNK is where it's at.

Jethro Tull - Witches Promise: As much as I'm not surprised the B-side to this single ("Teacher") became more well known, I really dig this proggy take on ren-faire folk rock. Great melodies.

BOC - Astronomy: I wish the production was a little sharper on the original, thus sometimes I go for live versions of it, but whatever, the song is genius.

Dead Can Dance - Cantara: This song was the first time I heard Lisa; blew my fucking head off. Ritualistic, dark and propulsive.

Lush - Thoughtforms: The original is a sweet breeze, but I prefer the Robin Guthrie produced version for the Mad Love EP. More vibrant and louder. The odd time signatures mixed with such playful melodies seems like such a brilliant fluke.

Ayumi Hamasaki - Surreal: I got into the J-metal scene via the Jpop soloists of the late 90's-early 00's rather than through the Western crossover bands like Boris & Boredoms. This track sounds like a warped take on Garbage's second album with strange arrangements for a pop song and some nice crank on the guitars. Basically it's the reason I went on an extended Asian music binge.

Julia Holter - Feel You: Dreamy pop with artsy arrangements. Gorgeous, and I realized as I wrote this list that I'm bigger on quirky time sigs than I thought.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:08 am 

jimbies wrote:
Anathema - Untouchable Part I & II, The Gathering Of The Clouds, Lightning Song, Sunlight
Otherworldly. This entire album is a borderline religious experience for me, but the first 5 songs in particular are spellbinding. I never listen to just one of these 5, it's always the full set in order.

I tried to go for for non-archived artists (there are several seriously overlooked acoustic Opeth tracks I thought about in particular), but this is way up there for me as well. Particularly the first two tracks, what an opening and one-two emotional punch. Not quite opening tracks, but "Endless Ways" into "The Optimist" on their (hopefully not final) album has the same effect on me as well.

Methuen wrote:
The Birthday Massacre - Kill the Lights (2006) - yes it's dubbed over, but away from the true blue classics, this is one of my favorite songs ever, and with the video you get that early 2000s synthy-gothy-rocky energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLHKnaTGguQ

Love that one, though "In This Moment" and "Beyond" would be my candidates for my own list. I've never heard anyone else get their mix of elements quite as right as they do.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:33 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Conceptually, post-rock is a genre that holds intriguing promise, but of the many albums I've heard in the style, most leave that potential unactualized. GY!BE is the exception, and while there are many of their works I could select, this maybe very well be my favorite of them. The haunting atmosphere, conveyed through the mournful violins and the enervated guitar lines, and it doesn't even need to build to a frenzy like some of their others do to achieve the surreal feeling of a forgotten wasteland. Never has being mired in misery felt so intoxicating.

I really agree with the premise and the song. Few post-rock songs impressed me as much as that one and East Hastings.

Similarly i listened to a lot of Doomjazz, but despite the stylistic similarity between bands only few songs managed to capture the feeling that i got from
Bohren & Der Club of Gore's song Constant Fear. Music for cities during a rainy night.

Speaking of night i am enamored with Royksopp's trippy song Skulls. The mix of steady nocturnal melody, vocal effects and the drug fueled lyrics contribute to create an incredible piece of music, suitable for the darkest of parties :lol:

Then there are bands like King Crimson who have an astounding number of perfect songs. My favorite changes every week, but i think anybody interested in guitar has to hear at least the beautiful intro melody of Starless. The build up and chaotic jazz release at the end are also breathtaking.

...and speaking of guitars there are the gods of fingerpicking, i could listen for days Nick Drake's Three Hours and John Renbourn's Medley (consisting of The Mist Covered Mountains of Home, The Orphan and the Tarbolton reel)
Townes van Zandt also as so much heartbreaking music, i'll probably pick Pancho and Lefty as his most touching song.

Last but not least there is Omnia's Morrigan: i used to play an instrumental version of this song with my friends when we busked at celtic fairs when i was a teenager.
Years later still feels like beer, campfire and green grass fields. Inspiring in those lockdown times :)

...it's better if i stop, i could fill ten pages :lol: however i must say that i'm loving checking out the mentioned songs!

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

I really agree with the premise and the song. Few post-rock songs impressed me as much as that one and East Hastings.

Similarly i listened to a lot of Doomjazz, but despite the stylistic similarity between bands only few songs managed to capture the feeling that i got from
Bohren & Der Club of Gore's song Constant Fear. Music for cities during a rainy night.

Speaking of night i am enamored with Royksopp's trippy song Skulls. The mix of steady nocturnal melody, vocal effects and the drug fueled lyrics contribute to create an incredible piece of music, suitable for the darkest of parties :lol:

Then there are bands like King Crimson who have an astounding number of perfect songs. My favorite changes every week, but i think anybody interested in guitar has to hear at least the beautiful intro melody of Starless. The build up and chaotic jazz release at the end are also breathtaking.

...and speaking of guitars there are the gods of fingerpicking, i could listen for days Nick Drake's Three Hours and John Renbourn's Medley (consisting of The Mist Covered Mountains of Home, The Orphan and the Tarbolton reel)
Townes van Zandt also as so much heartbreaking music, i'll probably pick Pancho and Lefty as his most touching song.

Last but not least there is Omnia's Morrigan: i used to play an instrumental version of this song with my friends when we busked at celtic fairs when i was a teenager.
Years later still feels like beer, campfire and green grass fields. Inspiring in those lockdown times :)

...it's better if i stop, i could fill ten pages :lol: however i must say that i'm loving checking out the mentioned songs!

I have a soft spot for Waitin' Around to Die.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:51 am 

Can't disagree, that one is amazing too! Those lyrics...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:13 am 

To echo a few people above:

Don't Change by INXS is one hell of a song. Randomly, I saw Springsteen open a show by covering it in 2014 in Albany, NY. I'm guessing about 2% of the audience knew what the song was. They did a great job with it, but the original is top notch stuff.

Also, absolutely love Waitin' Around To Die. It's my favourite TVZ song. Kathleen is a close second.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:58 pm 

I could listen to this song for hours on repeat:

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:48 pm 

Hook - Blues Traveler
The lyrics, the groove, the sarcasm, and then that harmonica solo! Combined with the video it's something I never get tired of.

For the Swedes: Kjell Höglunds Man vänjer sig sums up life so perfectly, and the understated arrangement sits so well. It has comforted me throughout the years.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:37 am 

April March - Chick Habit is my #1 favourite song. I first heard it in the end credits of Death Proof. I find it so overly catchy without it being irritating in any way. It's a cover of a French song but April's English lyrics are quite different and far more entertaining in my opinion.

Metallica - Harvester of Sorrow, Blackened, Where the Wild Things Are. The only band to have multiple entries in my top 10. Harvester of Sorrow is quite catchy, and has a personal connection for me since one of my nicknames at high school was Harvester, that being the reason people told me about Metallica in the first place. Blackened is a strong opener, embodying the cold/apocalyptic/depressing sound of the album, and also brings back good memories of listening to it, eg. at night in a remote location. Where the Wild Things Are is like listening to an Alice in Chains rip-off with clearer production, just love it.

Plasmatics - Mistress of Taboo. Catchy in a similar way to Chick Habit, except it's metal and Wendy's gravelly voice rules.

Saint Vitus - Patra (Petra). I love when doom metal is that extra bit slower, as it should be. I might've missed something, but this feels like the slowest metal song anyone had released up to this point (1990).

Other all-time favourites:

Anti-Nowhere League - Working for the Company
Killing Joke - Millennium
The Runaways - Is It Day or Night?
ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Ballad of Bodmin Pill is my fav NMA song as well. Perhaps not quite a top-tier song for me, but they're a top favourite band. Amusingly, when I first found the song online it was mislabelled as Bodmin Phil.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 am 

DeadKid wrote:
Other all-time favourites:

Anti-Nowhere League - Working for the Company

Always fun to see them crop up in unexpected places. Criminally under-rated band !

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:09 pm 

Alright so trying to keep my top tier songs away from the metal spectrum,

"In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins is my favorite non metal song. The atmosphere of that track, from the first strum of distortion, to the hauntingly echoed voice, culminating in that famous drum solo. That song always catches my attention when I hear it and just totally changes my mood for the day.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:05 am 

^^^

I feel like everyone has heard that song SO MANY times, it kind of becomes background music. But when you actually stop and listen to it, it's fucking great. I never truly noticed how great the lyrics were until like two years ago, upon hearing a cover of it by Lucy Dacus. Great pick.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:42 am 

The fastest band in the world... in 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_ejfI

For a seventies band, this absolutely fucking DESTROYS!!! Bow down and appreciate the sheer blinding awesomeness of this track.
It would be years before any band ever attempted to play as fast as this, and even then it was usually only punk bands that attempted it, before the metal scene caught up.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 am 

This. If you dislike Venom, for not being technical enough...don’t entry. I found this video, thinking it was one of their songs. Apparently, it’s a cover, and the original is some other style. I like this one better.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:07 pm 

I remember those chicks. Kind of reminded me of a Japanese female version of the Ramones. I always thought they were kind of cool. although I didn't listen to them that much for some reason.

Ragnorrk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:53 am 

Chemical Brothers' Star Guitar is definitely god tier! The video is also breathtaking. Several Chemical Brothers tracks, including saturate and private psychedelic reel, should also be included on this list. This is fantastic.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 pm 

As far as not on the archives....

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return). It's like Jimi took the blues and gave the entire genre a huge hit of acid and it came out in the best possible way. As rad as the intro is in particular, the entire song is just non-stop excellence.

The Doors - The End. The atmosphere throughout this song is just incredible.

Iron Butterfly - Innna Godda Da Vida. Awesome proto-metal riff, awesome deep vocals, and tasty solos, including possibly the only drum solo ever I actually like.

Pink Floyd - Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Live in Pompeii version). The atmosphere in this song is just incredible. And then that drum fill that signifies the intensity being cranked to 10, and everything just explodes. Then it calms down for the perfect ending in respite.

Wishbone Ash - Handy. Just so much incredible jamming, with a variety of different moods.

On the archives.....

Black Sabbath - War Pigs. Incredible epic with so many great riffs, two great solos, fantastic drumming all over the place, and what I consider Ozzy's best vocal performance ever.

Deep Purple - Child in Time. The build-up in this song is incredible. Ian Gillan's phenomenal vocal acrobatics. The guitar solo that starts off slow, speeds up, and ends on harmonizing with the keys, brilliant all the way through.

Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow. Nice soft intro, the meat and potatoes of the song great guitar harmonies and fantastic vocals, then the second half dominated by Uli with the great spacey guitar and spoken word vocals, and ending on that powerful riff.

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver / Deceiver. My all time favorite power ballad, the Halford shows off his incredible range here, perfect rhythm guitars and soloing (especially the harmonies at the end of the soft part of the song), then the explosive Deceiver. Great epic.

Reply to topic