Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:07 pm
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm 
 

What TV shows do my fellow metalheads like to watch in their free time? I enjoy Futurama, South Park, and King of the Hill. What about you?
_________________
i like any kind of rock & metal as long as it is melodic or catchy :)

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6930
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm 
 

My favorite shows, TV or otherwise, are either anime (full details here), animated comedies (Daria, South Park, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman), or comedic true-life stuff like Mythbusters, BuzzFeed Unsolved, and Penn & Teller: Bullshit!.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 pm 
 

BoJack and Better Call Saul have been my lodestars for what great TV is for the last few years anyway. I can never get enough.

Recent additions during the pandemic have been The Leftovers and Community.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 711
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:56 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Recent additions during the pandemic have been The Leftovers...

This show. This fucking show.

I watched this show about 2 years ago, and it honestly stunned me (specifically the first season). Just something about the story, the themes, the music, the philosophy, it just struck me in my very soul. I remember I would watch a few episodes, then go to work afterwards and just be in an absolute daze throughout my entire shift because I simply could not stop thinking about what I just watched.

Now, it's not to say that Season 2 and 3 sucked (far from it actually), there's plenty of excellent moments and solid story-telling found in those seasons as well, it's just that there's a couple of plot threads in season 2 that I felt were either rushed to conclusion or outright ignored in season 3 (I believe this may have been due to the show being cancelled and the writers being forced to finish the story in the third season. Despite that, the ending was still solid). But that first season.....just....FUCK.

I honestly can't think of any show that floored me the way this show did, at least not recently.


Last edited by SuperVeji4 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:06 pm 
 

I thought the exact opposite actually. Liked season 1 but it took a while to get through because of the extreme dour tone - like so depressing I was only in the mood for it for an episode at a time until the last 3-4. Plus I liked a lot less of the characters then as opposed to later.

Seasons 2 and 3 grew a sense of humor, got a lot more ambitious and really went all out on these crazy themes and "what ifs" of this world they made. Absolutely euphoric to me. The second half of season 2 in particular drove me insane as I had to watch it while still trying to work and get sleep. Season 3 was tremendous after that. A perfect ending to it I thought.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 711
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:12 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
I thought the exact opposite actually. Liked season 1 but it took a while to get through because of the extreme dour tone - like so depressing I was only in the mood for it for an episode at a time until the last 3-4. Plus I liked a lot less of the characters then as opposed to later.

Seasons 2 and 3 grew a sense of humor, got a lot more ambitious and really went all out on these crazy themes and "what ifs" of this world they made. Absolutely euphoric to me.

That's precisely why I found Season 1 to be so stunning. The sheer nihilism of it, and yet the human spirit of the main characters still prevailing and finding hope despite the absolute desperate atmosphere that surrounded them.

The humor in Season 2 and 3 was oddly effective though.
Spoiler: show
Those "secret agent" episodes were oddly hilarious.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:36 pm 
 

It was very literary stuff in season 1 but it was just hard to watch at times. Though Carrie Coon's character was the first one to really draw me in - that was when I knew the show had something to it. I also didn't like Kevin at all for most of season 1 - just my anti-cop bias I guess. But the next two seasons ended up appealing to me more for the sheer scope and what they were trying to do.

The show was interesting to me in general from the start because of how COVID has been. I thought there were parallels with how people cope with a changed world, etc - so I stuck with it. Glad I did.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 711
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:07 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It was very literary stuff in season 1 but it was just hard to watch at times.

Spoiler: show
The stoning sequence came to my mind, and I gotta say that sequence really bothered me. Not only because of how disturbing it was, but because it almost does nothing for the storyline. It's revealed later that The Guilty Remnants were responsible (which wasn't exactly surprising since we already know how batshit-crazy they are), and they did it because they needed a "martyr" (which failed spectacularly since the townspeople actually celebrated it, which, again, wasn't surprising since we already know how hated the Remnants were). It's extremely rare that I complain about gratuitous violence in any content I consume, but this is one of the few exceptions since it almost literally was unnecessary.

Question: I was kind of bothered by how quickly they killed off Meg and the Guilty Remnants in Season 3, but one thing that really bothered me was how the show outright ignored the character of Isaac Rayney, the palm-print reader in Season 2. He was one of the few characters in the show that seemed to have legitimate super natural powers. I was hoping his character would be explored in Season 3, and instead the show sort of pretends he never existed. What's your take on that?

Top
 Profile  
Earthshine
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 136
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:34 am 
 

I'm always watching Red Dwarf, Futurama and Seinfeld among other shows.

But the newest show that I couldn't stop watching was Cobra Kai. If you are into Karate Kid or 80s vibes even a little bit I cannot recommend this show enough.
_________________
Earthshine - My Bones Shall Rest Upon the Mountain.
Atmospheric Doom with Black Metal influences.
https://earthshinedoom.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-mountain

Top
 Profile  
lordcatfish
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 811
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:23 am 
 

Justified is my favourite show. All six seasons were brilliant. Love the Kentucky setting, and it was well written and acted. Walton Goggins in particular was very good as Boyd Crowder.

Goggins was also very memorable in The Shield, which I recently finished rewatching. Another top show - very intense. As far as more serious shows go, I'm also a big fan of The Americans, The Wire, Ozark, Bosch, Hannibal, The X-Files, Homeland, 24 and Prison Break (mainly the first two seasons). Early Dexter was up there too, but the quality massively dipped after the fourth season. There's a Korean show on Netflix called Stranger that I saw recently that I liked. They've got a lot of good non-English language stuff on there.

For comedy, I'm a sucker for Friends (which I grew up with). Scrubs is also a good one. Brooklyn Nine Nine has had my attention more recently. Malcolm in the Middle I think is very underappreciated. Peep Show, Extras and I'm Alan Partridge for British comedy. Archer, South Park and The Simpsons (seasons 2-9, occasional episodes afterwards) for animated.
_________________
last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:07 pm
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:46 am 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
My favorite shows, TV or otherwise, are either anime (full details here), animated comedies (Daria, South Park, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman), or comedic true-life stuff like Mythbusters, BuzzFeed Unsolved, and Penn & Teller: Bullshit!.


Nice list! I’m actually active on MAL too lol.
_________________
i like any kind of rock & metal as long as it is melodic or catchy :)

Top
 Profile  
Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:07 pm
Posts: 43
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:48 am 
 

Earthshine wrote:
I'm always watching Red Dwarf, Futurama and Seinfeld among other shows.

But the newest show that I couldn't stop watching was Cobra Kai. If you are into Karate Kid or 80s vibes even a little bit I cannot recommend this show enough.


Futurama is a show I cannot get enough of, it’s definitely growing to be one of my favs.
_________________
i like any kind of rock & metal as long as it is melodic or catchy :)

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:32 am 
 

We've just gotten up to series 14 of Supernatural (doing a full run-through ahead of watching the last series, so please don't spoil !) - we're also nearing the end of How I Met Your Mother, which has held up surprisingly well for the entire run. Enjoyed stuff like House / Castle / Firefly / Fringe in the past.There's also an 'early Midsummer Murders' appreciation society in my family - we like our police procedurals light-hearted and with a happy ending :lol:

Nothing too po-faced, basically. We watched about two hours of Baywatch on Sunday, while I tried to fix a vibration in a turntable running gear :lol:
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 979
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am 
 

Denpafighter978VGCP wrote:
Earthshine wrote:
I'm always watching Red Dwarf, Futurama and Seinfeld among other shows.

But the newest show that I couldn't stop watching was Cobra Kai. If you are into Karate Kid or 80s vibes even a little bit I cannot recommend this show enough.


Futurama is a show I cannot get enough of, it’s definitely growing to be one of my favs.


When I talk about Futurama, I'm always referring to the first five seasons (especially, the latter of the five). By the 5th season they'd reached what I consider to be Peak Humor with that show and then they were abruptly cancelled. It was never the same when they came back. All that momentum they'd built up was gone and I'm pretty sure a lot of the writers had moved on.

I was so excited when it was brought back, only to see how much of a shell of its former self it was.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Reid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 406
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:00 am 
 

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I definitely have some favorites that I often come back to. Twin Peaks (all three seasons) may be my favorite show of all time, just so damn good. The 2017 season in particular was astounding. In high school I was huge into various shows in the sci-fi realm-- Star Trek: TNG, Doctor Who, Firefly, The X-Files-- and still hold all of these in pretty high esteem. Grew up watching the Twilight Zone and some of the anthology horror shows like Tales from the Darkside.

Over the past few years, I've been more into anime (Neon Genesis Evangelion has quickly become my favorite anime and probably one of my favorite shows period) and modern comedy series like Nathan For You and the Eric Andre Show.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am 
 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was very literary stuff in season 1 but it was just hard to watch at times.

Spoiler: show
The stoning sequence came to my mind, and I gotta say that sequence really bothered me. Not only because of how disturbing it was, but because it almost does nothing for the storyline. It's revealed later that The Guilty Remnants were responsible (which wasn't exactly surprising since we already know how batshit-crazy they are), and they did it because they needed a "martyr" (which failed spectacularly since the townspeople actually celebrated it, which, again, wasn't surprising since we already know how hated the Remnants were). It's extremely rare that I complain about gratuitous violence in any content I consume, but this is one of the few exceptions since it almost literally was unnecessary.

Question: I was kind of bothered by how quickly they killed off Meg and the Guilty Remnants in Season 3, but one thing that really bothered me was how the show outright ignored the character of Isaac Rayney, the palm-print reader in Season 2. He was one of the few characters in the show that seemed to have legitimate super natural powers. I was hoping his character would be explored in Season 3, and instead the show sort of pretends he never existed. What's your take on that?


Spoiler: show
The whole Guilty Remnant thing seemed to just be aimless nihilism - destruction for destruction's sake, as they explain later on. One of the best twists in the show was in the dream sequence where it was revealed that Kevin hated them so much because he actually subconsciously agreed with them. Fucking brilliant and profound.

I get what you mean about those story threads but ultimately I just think the writers knew when to cut the fat. They only did exactly what they had to. The more I think about Season 3 the better it seems to me. They could've gone on for another few years and done more with what you're talking about, but they didn't have to.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:15 am 
 

My favorites include a lot of comedies: Seinfeld, Friends, How I met your mother, Scrubs, The Office, etc.
More recently Stranger Things, Mandalorian and WandaVision. I also like stuff like Buffy, Angel, Castle, etc., not sure they'd be categorized among favorites but I'd watch those series again.

There are a lot of series that I love some seasons of - Heroes, True Blood, Game of Thrones (though I don't hate the ending as much as many, I think it's frustrating that they could have reached the same point with less "mistakes" for not a dollar more spent), Lost, X-Files, Dexter, etc. Many overstayed their welcome of didn't know how to wrap it up but the earlier seasons remain special.

Methuen wrote:
we're also nearing the end of How I Met Your Mother, which has held up surprisingly well for the entire run.


Word of warning, lots hated the ending of that show. My and my girlfriend both saw it coming and loved it nonetheless, but we watched it long after it aired so having read many negative comments we had way lower expectations.

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 711
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:07 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
SuperVeji4 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was very literary stuff in season 1 but it was just hard to watch at times.

Spoiler: show
The stoning sequence came to my mind, and I gotta say that sequence really bothered me. Not only because of how disturbing it was, but because it almost does nothing for the storyline. It's revealed later that The Guilty Remnants were responsible (which wasn't exactly surprising since we already know how batshit-crazy they are), and they did it because they needed a "martyr" (which failed spectacularly since the townspeople actually celebrated it, which, again, wasn't surprising since we already know how hated the Remnants were). It's extremely rare that I complain about gratuitous violence in any content I consume, but this is one of the few exceptions since it almost literally was unnecessary.

Question: I was kind of bothered by how quickly they killed off Meg and the Guilty Remnants in Season 3, but one thing that really bothered me was how the show outright ignored the character of Isaac Rayney, the palm-print reader in Season 2. He was one of the few characters in the show that seemed to have legitimate super natural powers. I was hoping his character would be explored in Season 3, and instead the show sort of pretends he never existed. What's your take on that?


Spoiler: show
The whole Guilty Remnant thing seemed to just be aimless nihilism - destruction for destruction's sake, as they explain later on. One of the best twists in the show was in the dream sequence where it was revealed that Kevin hated them so much because he actually subconsciously agreed with them. Fucking brilliant and profound.

I get what you mean about those story threads but ultimately I just think the writers knew when to cut the fat. They only did exactly what they had to. The more I think about Season 3 the better it seems to me. They could've gone on for another few years and done more with what you're talking about, but they didn't have to.


Spoiler: show
I think this comes down to my obsession in having the mythos and background information being fully presented in the telling of a story, and when it isn't I have a meltdown (I don't know if you remember but I brought this up in the Star Wars Thread as well). In the case of the palm-print reader, whether or not he had powers is directly connected to what he said to Meg that made her hate the town of Miracle (what he said is never revealed), and I feel this would've revealed Meg's motive in being a full-blown nihilist. If I remember correctly, your description of the Guilty Remnants being aimless nihilists is only true when they were under the leadership of Meg Abbott; but under the leadership of Patti Levin they had a "purpose," which was their inability/refusal to get over the Sudden Departure and thus having this obsession in constantly "reminding" everyone else of the Departure. This is what makes Meg so fascinating to me, she seemed to have her own reasons and motives, and these reasons and motives were implanted in her before the Sudden Departure by the palm-print reader. I would've loved to have seen an expansion of her character, the same way we saw an expansion of Patti's character. But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

However, I ultimately agree with you. Despite the writers being rushed in finishing the series, they still did an excellent job in working with what they had and thus giving the show a satisfying ending. That was quite impressive to me, because usually those circumstances lead to an absolute shit ending.


Curious_dead wrote:
Game of Thrones (though I don't hate the ending as much as many, I think it's frustrating that they could have reached the same point with less "mistakes" for not a dollar more spent)

It's one thing to dislike the ending of a story, but the downright meltdown that people had (including myself) was due to the fact of following the show for years; years of emotional investing, of theorizing, of waiting for the next season, all for it to end in an obviously rushed and half-assed way. And what makes it even more painful is the fact that we most likely won't even have the luxury of possibly enjoying a better ending from the book series. People need to accept the fact that due to Martin's slow pace, age, and weight, he is most likely never going to finish those books. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised that those "progress reports" he's been giving on his writing process are downright lies; he has zero intention in finishing the books because he knows it won't be done in a timely fashion, time that he ultimately does not have. And if he does finish it, it'll probably be rushed and half-assed, just like the show. I'm not blaming him or anything, I just see it as a very sad (albeit understandable) situation.

If only he had more time....

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 803
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 pm 
 

Twin Peaks is my favourite television show of all time due to its acting, atmosphere, story, storytelling and settings. I also like Murdoch Mysteries for its mixture of quirky cases, historic elements and sympathetic characters. Other than that, I have appreciated the Fargo seasons due its bizarre and surprising plot elements. Other than that, I don't watch that many television shows except for the occasional American Dad, Family Guy or South Park episode for fun.
_________________
My most recent short story:

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

Top
 Profile  
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:24 am
Posts: 505
Location: Quebec City, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:06 pm 
 

Twin Peaks reigns supreme for me. All 3 seasons (even the often hated 2nd half of season 2) and the movie. That story still haunts me and I do a rewatch pretty much every year since 2012 when there was only 2 seasons and Fire Walk With Me. I was a bit apprehensive when The Return was announced, but it ended up being utterly brilliant, even if quite different from what I was hoping for. I was floored.

Hannibal is another one dear to me. I was a huge fan of Silence of the Lambs, both the movie and novel. The Red Dragon and Hannibal novels were excellent too, miles above the movie adaptations (tho Red Dragon was a better flick than Hannibal) And Anthony Hopkins WAS Hannibal Lecter. I was immediately skeptical when the show was announced, even more that it would be aired on NBC, as I was fearing a very very toned down show with lame edgy stuff... How wrong I was... Mads Mikkelsen quickly became my favorite interpretation of Lecter. It was actually violent and gory, but the whole package was beautiful and classy. And even if it mixed things up, story wise, it was daring and excellent from start to finish.
_________________
"Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me"

Top
 Profile  
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:30 pm 
 

This post will probably show that I watch way to much television.

Some favorites include Sopranos, the Office (American version) Seinfeld, M.A.S.H., Parks and Recreation, Breaking Bad, Futurama, X-Files, Game of Thrones, Trailer Park Boys, Bojack, Twilight Zone, Star Trek original series and The Next Generation, Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park, Dr Katz, Golden Girls, Rick and Morty, and Batman the Animated Series.

Extremely disappointed with the endings to the Sopranos and the Office. The Office actually took a real nosedive after Carell left.

Trailer park Boys shows you trailer park trash reaches as high as Canada. Now make like a tree and fuck off.
_________________
dheacock's wrote:
Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:57 pm 
 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think this comes down to my obsession in having the mythos and background information being fully presented in the telling of a story, and when it isn't I have a meltdown (I don't know if you remember but I brought this up in the Star Wars Thread as well). In the case of the palm-print reader, whether or not he had powers is directly connected to what he said to Meg that made her hate the town of Miracle (what he said is never revealed), and I feel this would've revealed Meg's motive in being a full-blown nihilist. If I remember correctly, your description of the Guilty Remnants being aimless nihilists is only true when they were under the leadership of Meg Abbott; but under the leadership of Patti Levin they had a "purpose," which was their inability/refusal to get over the Sudden Departure and thus having this obsession in constantly "reminding" everyone else of the Departure. This is what makes Meg so fascinating to me, she seemed to have her own reasons and motives, and these reasons and motives were implanted in her before the Sudden Departure by the palm-print reader. I would've loved to have seen an expansion of her character, the same way we saw an expansion of Patti's character. But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

However, I ultimately agree with you. Despite the writers being rushed in finishing the series, they still did an excellent job in working with what they had and thus giving the show a satisfying ending. That was quite impressive to me, because usually those circumstances lead to an absolute shit ending.


Spoiler: show
Yeah my thing is I don't really care if they leave out mythos and backstory. I like looking at the main point and seeing how things are put together. Sometimes too much backstory just becomes cloying. Just depends though. I like stories that are just contained moments in time that can teach or entertain you somehow.

I don't remember everything said in season 1, though I recall it being very vague as to what the Remnant was doing and what their goals were when Patti was in charge. She or someone else admitted to the stoning and said they'd do it to Laurie too, with little reason except to "remind" people of death or whatever. That's why I just took all of it as nihilism, even before Meg took over.

One thing I like about this show was that it didn't really beat you over the head with explanations. Just showed you what you needed to see to get the vibe and go with it. Meg got her dues and I doubt there was anywhere else for her to go after S2. Season 3 ended up being brilliantly in a whole other direction I think.


And yeah The Office got so bad after Carell left. The final two seasons actually really put a dent in what I thought of that show.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:16 am 
 

Curious_dead wrote:
Methuen wrote:
we're also nearing the end of How I Met Your Mother, which has held up surprisingly well for the entire run.


Word of warning, lots hated the ending of that show. My and my girlfriend both saw it coming and loved it nonetheless, but we watched it long after it aired so having read many negative comments we had way lower expectations.


Thanks :) I've got my theory, but I'm keeping it to myself. I hadn't really read anything about it all, so I'm going in totally clean !
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 1968
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:02 am 
 

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but I tend to be drawn to sci-fi and space shows. Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, the first few Star Treks, Stargate SG1/Atlantis, Lost, Firefly, Other Space. Finally checked out The Expanse recently and loved it. Other random but great shows like The Sopranos, Community, Parks and Recreation, and most recently, Cobra Kai. Lots of other stuff in the cue, but I get to them so slowly compared to most people it seems.

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2232
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:52 am 
 

I'm mostly an anime junkie, but i've have some favorites: both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul have taken me by surprise for their level of writing and cinematography, first season of Fargo was glorious and i quote daily the early Simpsons episodes (I love you Dr. Zaious!)
Both BoJack and Fleabag grew a lot on me, those shows pack some real gut punches at times.

I've heard a lot of good things on series like The Sopranos, The Wire, Twin Peaks and the first season of True Detective, but i've yet to check them out... Also Game of Thrones, i can't believe i haven't seen a single episode still!

Top
 Profile  
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:53 pm 
 

The first season of Fargo was excellent. I actually liked all of the seasons, the exception being the season with Chris Rock. I like him a lot, but the season he is in didn't do it for me.
_________________
dheacock's wrote:
Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29454
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm 
 

Season 3 Fargo is my favorite thing in the series including the Coens' movie - a brilliant work. Chaotic and strange and sometimes humorous and it had pointed social commentary. That one and Legion Season 2 are the best things Hawley's done I think.

I liked Fargo Season 4 too. It's been a very solid show all around.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 1968
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:07 pm 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things on series like The Sopranos, The Wire, Twin Peaks and the first season of True Detective, but i've yet to check them out... Also Game of Thrones, i can't believe i haven't seen a single episode still!


Yeah, The Wire, Twin Peaks, and GoT (plus Breaking Bad, Arrested Development and some others) are on my list that I really want to get to at some point. The amount of content for some of them is rather daunting, it's like convincing yourself to check out a band which had a wide-spanning career with dozens of albums and related projects over several decades. And rather unlike the ability to just check out a band's most classic album or two, sometimes you have to get through a few seasons of world-building material for the best episodes to be properly contextualized.

Top
 Profile  
Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:03 pm
Posts: 481
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:10 pm 
 

Lots of comedies, mostly British ones i.e. Red Dwarf/Blackadder/Spaced etc. I do like a fair few US shows though, particularly The Office which (contrary to what some Brits say) is far better and funnier than the UK version.

Sci-fi as well, although I'm a bit more specific about this area. Old school Dr Who (i.e. the 70s and 80s stuff), Star Trek DS9, Westworld and most of all The Orville, which has been an absolute highlight of the last few years and TBH I prefer it to Star Trek a lot of the time. Got to credit Macfarlane, I think a show like that has been needed these last few years.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1847
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 pm 
 

Letterkenny, Community, Justified, the Expanse, South Park, Daybreak (deserves more than one fucking season), Futurama, Supernatural, Regular Show, Deadwood, Bob's Burgers, Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Santa Clarita Diet...

More into movies than I am TV, but those shows are my favorites from the last few years.
_________________
Dembo wrote:
It just dawned on me that if there was a Christian equivalent of Cannibal Corpse, they could have the song title I Cum Forgiveness.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13517
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:06 am 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Santa Clarita Diet

Girlfriend and I recently watched this. I thought it was really good so it's a shame it got canned after 3 seasons. I think it had enough character to keep going, but alas what we got was pretty entertaining.

Bojack Horseman is maybe my favourite show of the last couple of years, just because of how intense it was. Again, I think they had enough character to keep going, but I really can't complain with how it ended. Props to all the people in this thread that mentioned this show - good stuff here.

Rick and Morty is also a favourite of mine. I love Futurama (some episodes are duds but the good ones are some of the best things ever) and I've been keeping up with The Simpsons (recently finished season 31).
_________________
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
Smalley
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am
Posts: 936
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:23 am 
 

Cowboy Bebop & Breaking Bad are my two "crown jewels" of TV, and both are tied for my #1 spot of all time, but besides them, I'd also say my favorite shows are The Simpsons, Futurama, MST3K, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and The Shield.
_________________
Smalley proudly presents: The Golden Age Of Metal!
Home Forum

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 1846
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:14 am 
 

I have moved away from watching tv-series. Not completely but I can't seem to enjoy it when so many continue for far to long and the later season always seem to tarnish the first few season that I originally enjoyed. And once that happens I've spent so many hours just to be disapointed. The go-to example is of course Game of Thrones which got really bad script-wise around season 5 (with all the time and space-hopping and unexplained things happening). Didn't mind the ending so much but half the road to the end was a mess. Same thing with Lost, The Bridemaids Tale and to a lesser degree Stranger Things. But its the same with most shows that go beyond 2 or 3 seasons I find.

I was never a fan of the outright comedy shows. I usually don't like it when a series or movie is supposed to be haha-funny. I need my humour more subtle and not so much in-your-face. That said I have a fondness for the sit-com Frasier.

I really did enjjoy season 1 and 2 of Daredevil though. Haven't gotten around to season 3. The Crown season 1 was excellent but again I haven't started season 2 yet. I did really enjoy Battlestar Galactica (the remake). It did dip towards the end but was still good to exellent from start to finish. The one series I keep watching, despite the quality varying quite a lot, is Outlander. I just love the premise.

I find myself instead watching some of those cheap tv shows that has to do with houses in different forms. Either following people who actually build a new house or perhaps renovating one. There's also a bunch os shows focusing on people moving abroad and looking for houses or apartments in foreign countries. I really quite appreciate that as a way to relax right after work or training. I find it interesting and its an easy watch.
_________________
Metal Archives resident goat fucker. Since adopting the name InnesI online I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, neoliberal and boot licker! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2232
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Season 3 Fargo is my favorite thing in the series including the Coens' movie - a brilliant work. Chaotic and strange and sometimes humorous and it had pointed social commentary. That one and Legion Season 2 are the best things Hawley's done I think.

I liked Fargo Season 4 too. It's been a very solid show all around.


Spoiler: show
Even if overall the season is not my favorite, i must say that i loved to hate VM Varga: they did an awesome job at creating this disgusting antagonist that believably seemed in control of everything until the last few seconds :)

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 979
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:47 am 
 

SuperVeji4 wrote:

Curious_dead wrote:
Game of Thrones (though I don't hate the ending as much as many, I think it's frustrating that they could have reached the same point with less "mistakes" for not a dollar more spent)

It's one thing to dislike the ending of a story, but the downright meltdown that people had (including myself) was due to the fact of following the show for years; years of emotional investing, of theorizing, of waiting for the next season, all for it to end in an obviously rushed and half-assed way. And what makes it even more painful is the fact that we most likely won't even have the luxury of possibly enjoying a better ending from the book series. People need to accept the fact that due to Martin's slow pace, age, and weight, he is most likely never going to finish those books. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised that those "progress reports" he's been giving on his writing process are downright lies; he has zero intention in finishing the books because he knows it won't be done in a timely fashion, time that he ultimately does not have. And if he does finish it, it'll probably be rushed and half-assed, just like the show. I'm not blaming him or anything, I just see it as a very sad (albeit understandable) situation.

If only he had more time....


Yea, I agree that it's pretty unlikely we're ever gonna get an ending to GOT that's up to par with what the books built.

I wasn't watching the TV show, but I decided "fuck it", because I didn't think Martin would ever get us an ending. What a mistake that was. Now I want the books Martin will never finish even more. I'm not some dude getting on Twitter and insulting him, but at the same time it's real frustrating to see all this great build he did for what will probably end up being, "Bran farting on a snare drum".
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1777
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:27 am 
 

If anyone ever starts a 'TV Shows you hate' thread, I'll regale you all with my lengthy views on how awful Game of Thrones was. Jesus but I hated that program something terrible :lol:
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
YesIam
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 am
Posts: 207
Location: Kenya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:37 am 
 

I got a handfull of series that stands out quite a bit:

Shadow Bound
A low-budget mini-series made on a budget of 15k or so, with each episode having a playtime of around 20 minutes. Shadow Bound is a black and white silent series, made in the style of 20's horror. It's not a H.P. Lovecraft adaptation, but it sure does play like one and few have managed to come closer to H.P. Lovecraft than this. Truly magnificent and brilliant throughout.

Ash vs Evil Dead
Ash vs Evil Dead started out good, but a bit disappointing with lackluster special effects and so. But it spent the entire first season well by introducing and setting up the new characters and overall tone of the series. But from the second season and onward it was nothing short of a blast laying somewhere around the tone and feeling of Evil Dead and Evil Dead II, but with a dash of My Name is Bruce thrown in. It's a real shame about the cancelation, as it was a total blast and the teaser for the new season looked absolutely incredible. Was hoping that this would either get picked up by someone else, get a new film or at least a comic based on the ideas for the last season, but none of this has happened. It's a damn shame.

Black Sails
I wasn't a huge fan of season 1 and felt it was a bit too lighthearted and simple, and if it wasn't for the fact that I love pirate movies and shows, I most likely wouldn't have continued after season 1. So if you changed the theme to vikings, I'd have dropped out. And while the first season wasn't all that (type 6/10), the rest of the series simply remains some of the best stuff made for TV ever. And it saves the series and makes it into one of the best series ever made, despite one lackluster season. The transformation between season 1 and 2 were just insane.

Tales from the Crypt
Like most, if not all, anthologies, the quality varies a bit. But at its best it was amazing, and season 1-6 are for most part totally awesome. A handfull of lackluster episodes, but the majority is pretty amazing. Season 7 was for most part only decent, and a huge disappointment for sure.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson
Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself, and we all get the truth about the guy in this action comedy: Jean-Claude Van Damme's life as a movie star is just a cover up, and he's actually been a secret agent all along. This is easily one of the most hilarious show's you'll ever see, with loads and loads of memorable moments. Totally awesome!

Comrade Detective
This is a buddy cop series that's presented as an old, lost Romanian show. It's filmed in Romania with a Romanian cast, but it's dubbed in English in the most terrific and hilarious way by Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt among others. Completely hilarious throughout, and just really nice a sharp. Top notch!

Death Valley
Cops meets The Office in a zombie apocalypse. Truly hilarious and funny shit. Re-watched this a few weeks ago, and it's holds up so well. This is close to horror-comedy perfection.

Danger 5
Silly, campy, over the top, bizarre and really funny action/comedy/sci-fi by Dario Russo and David Ashby, the guys that created the masterpiece that is Italian Spiderman. So you know this is gonna be slightly different, and a whole lot of fun.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Another show that is presented as a lost classic, with commentary track and all. Again, this is just really darn fun from beginning to end, and it never gets old. Hilarious!

Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible
If you're familiar with 70's horror, the title of this show should ring a bell. The show is a parody of 60's and 70's horror movies and anthology series, and spoofs productions from Amicus, Hammer Horror and Tigon Horror among others. It's way too short, but incredibly fun for as long as it lasted.

Channel Zero
Horror anthology series with four seasons based on four different creepypastas. All four seasons are very, very different from eachother, but all top notch. Atmospheric, interesting and very enjoyable.


Stranger Things
I'm a nostalgic guy, and this just works. It's works really, really well, and I do not agree with "everyone" else about the show having lost its way. I still think it's fantastic.

That's probably my favorites as of now.

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Veteran

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 2948
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 pm 
 

I pretty much agree about Game of Thrones; I watched it initially because it was a TV show adaption of my favorite literature, but it quickly got to the point where it became the other way around, the literature (if it ever appears) will be based on the TV series. I believe that when the TV show started, Book 5 ("A Dance with Dragons") had just come out. That was 10 years ago, and it looks like Book 5 may well be the final printed installment. Unless someone else were to come along and recreate "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring" (which was to be the final installment) and base the plot entirely on the TV show.

I liked "King of the Hill" and "Simpsons" a lot, along with a lot of old classics. I was a big "Doctor Who" fan for a while too- but I think they should have cancelled the show after Matt Smith left the role. I was into documentaries like "Ghost Adventures" and Josh Gates's "Expedition Unknown" but Ghost Adventures just got cancelled, and I believe "Expedition Unknown" is on hiatus.

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEarth
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 am
Posts: 447
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 am 
 

In terms of current shows, Inside No. 9, Line of Duty, Better Call Saul, Stranger Things, Doctor Who and the Deutschland series have been my favourites in recent years. I used to be a big fan of The Walking Dead and American Horror Story but both shows have lost their way recently especially the former. I still watch them though in the hope that they get back on track.

As for all-time favourites, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, classic Doctor Who (I’ve been obsessed with this show in one way or another since I was 7 years old), The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Beavis & Butt-Head, The Young Ones, The League of Gentlemen, Batman: The Animated Series, Utopia, Bottom, Peep Show and Twin Peaks are all shows that I love and revisit often.

Top
 Profile  
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 pm 
 

Would there be enough interest, to start a Saturday morning cartoons thread? Or would they have to be discussed here?
_________________
dheacock's wrote:
Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group