Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 pm 

It's my one-year anniversary of joining this site. And if you asked me last year what my favourite bands were, I would've listed them as one of my favourites.

I don't hate them, and I still think there are plenty of things to like about some of their material, but... A lot of their stuff really doesn't do much for me at this point.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:19 pm 

Music preferences change. Doesn’t mean they’re bad. Go on YouTube and Bandcamp, check out more music. You might come back to them in a few years, and really enjoy it.

I went in the opposite direction as you. I hated them for years, because I considered them posers, for being popular. When I actually listened, I found a lot to like.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 pm 

I was that way about a lot of my early "gateway bands" - I grew up in the glam rock era and by the late 1980s, it was considered really "uncool" to be into Motley Crue, Ratt, etc, even though when I was like 13 or 14 or so that was what I dug.
I do think a lot of music is specifically geared towards a younger audience though, which does make it inevitable that one will "Grow out of it" so to speak- but then, nostalgia for the music of one's younger years can be a powerful thing.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm 

Sometimes you grow out of bands. Sometimes you grow into them. Just make sure you don't do it to please some strangers on an online message board.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 am 

I'm 28 and this year I got back into Slipknot in a big way. Great band, Iowa rips.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 am 

Definitely hoping that I start enjoying them more again, at some point. Iowa's still a really good album. It's mostly everything after that.

I don't think I'll ever find myself outright disliking them though, mainly because I'm always gonna be grateful to them for helping me get into metal, at the bare minimum.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 am 

That first Slipknot album made huge waves when it first came out - I was in high school at the time and everyone loved it. I didn't really go much for nu-metal but it was a lot better than the rest. But Iowa was a huge disappointment and I just completely forgot about them until I heard the album with Gematria and Sulphur on it... in maybe 2010? Either way I spun that constantly for a while, great album, but the ones after that have all been mostly boring. I gave the debut another listen a few months ago and I was amazed at how badly it's aged - the good songs are still great, but there's a LOT of filler, it's way too long, and the production is shithouse. I know Ross Robinson was applauded for it at the time, but these days it just seems so... rough and annoying? haha.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:21 am 

Firmament1 wrote:
It's my one-year anniversary of joining this site. And if you asked me last year what my favourite bands were, I would've listed them as one of my favourites.

I don't hate them, and I still think there are plenty of things to like about some of their material, but... A lot of their stuff really doesn't do much for me at this point.

There is often a case for younger fans that they eventually find things more extreme, or more cool, or more whatever-it-may-be and thus reject what they once liked. Or that people give them flac for liking a certain band and after a while it takes hold and they themselves drift away from said band.

Music preferences do change but I find that I don't dislike any music I used to like. I may not be as into it as before. Or I may enjoy it occasionally but not as often as when I was young. But usually there is still something there which resonates and I try to value that. The first rock I really liked was probably Europe. As I got older, and more into metal, it was not a cool band to like. I never cared. Their early stuff is good heavy metal and their later stuff is good hard rock (haven't heard their post-reuinion stuff though). I think we are to often influenced by what others think of the music we like. I try my best not to be. Ignore those with negative comments and embrace those who wants to open doors to new music. I build my music library - I don't sort out stuff.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:27 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Sometimes you grow out of bands. Sometimes you grow into them. Just make sure you don't do it to please some strangers on an online message board.
That's well put. To reiterate that, whoever told you that you will just grow out of liking Slipknot is an asshole. I like their first three albums quite a bit. That's not even really it though. Fuck that elitist attitude. Like whatever you want and whatever makes you happy. Nu Metal, Country, Rap, Techno, Punk whatever it is.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 am 

InnesI wrote:
Music preferences do change but I find that I don't dislike any music I used to like. I may not be as into it as before. Or I may enjoy it occasionally but not as often as when I was young. But usually there is still something there which resonates and I try to value that.

Yeah, I've never cared for the mentality of hating music you used to love. Maybe for some people that is an authentic shift in taste, but too often it reeks of chasing trends, and portends disliking the music you're currently hyping in a number of years when something else has become ascendant in popularity.

To the topic itself, I was never a huge Slipknot fan, but the song "Wait and Bleed" when it came out was definitely a major stepping stone towards other types of metal I would get into later, with the heavily-downtuned guitars, double bass and harsher vocals, and I still enjoy listening to it and a few other songs of theirs once in awhile. "Duality" was also another intriguing song, and there's a great Rick Beato video breakdown of it on YouTube.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:13 pm 

InnesI wrote:
There is often a case for younger fans that they eventually find things more extreme, or more cool, or more whatever-it-may-be and thus reject what they once liked. Or that people give them flack for liking a certain band and after a while it takes hold and they themselves drift away from said band.

Music preferences do change but I find that I don't dislike any music I used to like. I may not be as into it as before. Or I may enjoy it occasionally but not as often as when I was young. But usually there is still something there which resonates and I try to value that. The first rock I really liked was probably Europe. As I got older, and more into metal, it was not a cool band to like. I never cared. Their early stuff is good heavy metal and their later stuff is good hard rock (haven't heard their post-reunion stuff though). I think we are too often influenced by what others think of the music we like. I try my best not to be. Ignore those with negative comments and embrace those who wants to open doors to new music. I build my music library - I don't sort out stuff.

I'd say that to some degree, this is the case. Like I said, I'd never outright dislike Slipknot, mainly because they were pretty important into getting me into metal. And there's still aspects that I like. But y'know, I should probably focus on what I DO like about them more than what I now don't like.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 am 

Firmament1 wrote:
I'd say that to some degree, this is the case. Like I said, I'd never outright dislike Slipknot, mainly because they were pretty important into getting me into metal. And there's still aspects that I like. But y'know, I should probably focus on what I DO like about them more than what I now don't like.

You will always come across people who tell you what to like and not to like (for various reasons). My advice is to not pay them much attention at all. Don't conform to them and don't go into clinch with them. Leave them with their opinions and go back and listen to whatever you like.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 am 

I still love hearing songs from the self-titled and Iowa for nostalgic purposes. I was never the biggest fan, but I was in 9th grade when the self-titled came out, and I latched onto it for a while. Saw them live in 2005 at Ozzfest and they were fun.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 am 

Preferences change. I used to adore Slipknot as well. Upon discovering new music, I just discovered that the parts I liked about Slipknot were done better by other bands.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm 

I never got into Slipknot but when I first started listening to heavier music my go-to band was System of a Down. By the time I was 14 I had moved onto Slayer and other "truer" metal bands and SOAD fell by the wayside. That was 13 years ago and I recently listened to all of System of a Down's albums again for the first time in over a decade. They're not something I would be into nowadays but I enjoyed those albums more than I was expecting too.

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
InnesI wrote:
Music preferences do change but I find that I don't dislike any music I used to like. I may not be as into it as before. Or I may enjoy it occasionally but not as often as when I was young. But usually there is still something there which resonates and I try to value that.

Yeah, I've never cared for the mentality of hating music you used to love. Maybe for some people that is an authentic shift in taste, but too often it reeks of chasing trends, and portends disliking the music you're currently hyping in a number of years when something else has become ascendant in popularity.

You must still love "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" then, eh? :-P My point being that I'm sure there is something from your past you don't like if you go back far enough, so obviously age factors into this. Not just due to the amount of musical exposure but because the brain doesn't finish maturing until age 25. I dislike most of the music I was listening to at age 10. I dislike maybe half the music I liked at age 15 (including Slipknot). Most of the music from age 20, though, I still like. I don't think this is uncommon, and most people are just honing their tastes rather than trend-chasing. The music that you love at the end of your honing journey can make the music at the beginning look bad by comparison.

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:57 pm 

Well I don't really listen to them anymore and I was a huge fan 20 years ago when Iowa came out, but youtube recommended me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_8XI7fPjw

And if you tell me that they were not one of the best live bands in 2001, just huge energy and they sound awesome

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:40 pm 

For me it was the opposite. I got into Slipknot after thrash, death, black, and doom metal. I'm not a massive fan, but I do like some of their music. Besides Korn's first album, they're the only nu metal band I listen to.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Pretty much this.

I grew out of Black Sabbath, thrash and classic death metal but still enjoy some Slipknot. Stay true to yourself no matter what.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:53 pm 

Nope. Not all of us said you'd grow out of Slipknot. I have gone through phases where i was in and out of bands but most bands that I really loved alot at one point i did for a good reason and I always come back and enjoy them later.

I was a teenager when Slipknot was blowing up and Corey Taylor was like the voice of my childhood. He spoke the angst and heartbreak that I could never put into words. Slipknot IMO is atleast a top 15 band in my collection, and they will always hold a dear spot in my childhood, they are part of me. Are they the best band nah, but I'll never grow out of them. Side note. The first Stone Sour album was great as well.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:36 am 

I'm in my mid twenties and I still find myself listening to Slipknot more often than not when I'm working out. Their most recent album is pretty damn good.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CynicalDunkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:48 pm 

I still like Slipknot. While they aren't as heavy as some of the other stuff I listen to, at their core they still write good songs, for me at least. Their last album was a banger too.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:45 pm 

I seem to be in the minority whenever this comes up, but I feel the reverse - I think Slipknot are seriously getting better with age. Their early stuff often felt overly edgy to me or brutal for the sake of it (and at the cost of songwriting), while I started to actually like them with .5, and the latest album is absolutely excellent and was a surprise top 3 album of 2019 for me. It feels like they still know how to write majorly pissed off music, but both the songwriting and lyrical approach is far more mature. (And seeing them live was honestly a blast, even from a near-ceiling spot.)

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:40 am 

I've personally noticed 2 things regarding stuff like this for myself. One is growing out of bands because I frankly discovered better bands(Metallica, Death or Opeth come to mind here) or bands I just listened to so much that I just don't feel the need anymore.(Neurosis, Running Wild, Mekong Delta). The latter it still always feels good if I do listen to em but with the first category its just half nostalgia and half boredom at the same time.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:50 pm 

I never got into Slipknot. I don’t know. I remember the time they became really popular I already was into stuff like Morbid Angel, Deicide and a few more extreme bands and I didn’t get to check their music out. I heard a few songs from maybe MTV and I thought it’s just a gimmick band with all those masks and such and I mean I’m not a hater but I remember when I used to post or read message boards back in like 2000 or 2001 a lot of metal heads hate on them so I thought why bother when they were labeled a mu metal band. I’m not a hater of nu metal but honestly I got into Metallica and Pantera and Slayer first before the whole nu metal thing started. I admit I used to love Korn’s Life is Peachy back in high school but I was already into Metallica and Pantera so I went into that direction of metal more. I bought System of a Down’s Toxicity though gotta admit I bought the hype and I love that album till now. I’ll prolly try to listen to some Slipknot just so I’m not an ignorant when this is talked about but there’s still other good bands I wanna get into first. I’ll be welcome to any recommendation of their songs or best album though.

No offense to those who like Slipknot I’m not trying to be one of those types who hate on Slipknot I respect you guys for you’re taste and I say listen to what you want even if other metal heads will hate or laugh at you. I mean. Slipknot seems to still be heavy and kick ass. I have the same biased feelings when talking about some rap music I listen to. Please don’t hate though. Hahaha.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:45 pm 

^ I'd honestly recommend the latest album to anyone who would just like to give them a honest try. It still has a solid representation of their heaviest, meanest stuff (but less uberedgy), while featuring plenty of stuff that's more experimental and atmospheric. It feels written first and foremost with the "write a great album" mindset than "make the edgiest compilation of angry stuff we can" (aka Iowa).

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:06 am 

^I just listened to some songs off We Are Not Your Kind album and it’s good I guess. Catchy simple riffs but still kinda heavy. The vocals though I’m not into that style really with screaming then singing style it kinda reminds me of metalcore. It’s okay though I’ll try to listen to it again some other time and prolly check their other popular albums. Thanks for the recommendation.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:00 pm 

Mystic_Stylez wrote:
^I just listened to some songs off We Are Not Your Kind album and it’s good I guess. Catchy simple riffs but still kinda heavy. The vocals though I’m not into that style really with screaming then singing style it kinda reminds me of metalcore. It’s okay though I’ll try to listen to it again some other time and prolly check their other popular albums. Thanks for the recommendation.

Same here, though I do like the vocals a bit more than in their other albums. Since I've gotten into metal, I haven't exactly grown out of them at all.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:44 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Mystic_Stylez wrote:

Same here, though I do like the vocals a bit more than in their other albums. Since I've gotten into metal, I haven't exactly grown out of them at all.

Right on! Checked out some songs of Iowa and I guess their pretty good with their style. I still prefer Life is Peachy though. Not too overly aggressive but groovy and catchy.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:16 am 

I recall it was one of the first bands I listened,along Megadeth: i don't really have nothing against them now,but they just don't hit me like it used to. Stopped listening to them when i found out about Slayer.
Also the fact they really aged bad,self titled still has some cool death metal and hardcore punk influence,but WANYK really dissapointed me, they are into the metalcore scene now apparently,not really my style.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:07 am 

Mystic_Stylez wrote:

Heh, it's interesting to hear that perspective. For me, the first time I heard that scream & clean combination, not to mention the vocalist fluidly switching between them mid-sentence, was definitely from Slipknot. I didn't know what metalcore was until years later.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:10 pm 

You could grow back into it though. I hated crap like that at one point and now I'm like 10 years older and have a taste for things that used to sound like shit to my ear

Trauma_Hound
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:28 am 

Years long lurker, this and a few other recent posts in this forum has prompted me to finally make an account.

I never personally got into Slipknot or any of the trendy bands of the time like Tool or Breaking Benjamin. My younger brother, however, absolutely loved Slipknot. He just went nuts for this particular band, and his very genuine enjoyment of their music would sometimes annoy the hell out of me.

I remember around spring of 2004 he constantly nagged about having to take him early morning to a nearby Walmart so that he could pick up their new album at the time. He eagerly popped that CD in my car stereo, played it full volume and to his horror, realized the music was censored and so we head back into the store and had it returned. We spent the whole day and endured a whole lot of blunders and mishaps scouring the city to find a copy of the damn CD and didnt come home till about 3am.

He passed away about 3 years ago from Leukemia. Every now and then, despite my indifference towards the band's music, I will listen to Vol3: The Subliminal Verses to remember the better times when he was still around.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 am 

Trauma_Hound wrote:
Years long lurker, this and a few other recent posts in this forum has prompted me to finally make an account.

I never personally got into Slipknot or any of the trendy bands of the time like Tool or Breaking Benjamin. My younger brother, however, absolutely loved Slipknot. He just went nuts for this particular band, and his very genuine enjoyment of their music would sometimes annoy the hell out of me.

I remember around spring of 2004 he constantly nagged about having to take him early morning to a nearby Walmart so that he could pick up their new album at the time. He eagerly popped that CD in my car stereo, played it full volume and to his horror, realized the music was censored and so we head back into the store and had it returned. We spent the whole day and endured a whole lot of blunders and mishaps scouring the city to find a copy of the damn CD and didnt come home till about 3am.

He passed away about 3 years ago from Leukemia. Every now and then, despite my indifference towards the band's music, I will listen to Vol3: The Subliminal Verses to remember the better times when he was still around.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the story!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:19 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Mystic_Stylez wrote:

Heh, it's interesting to hear that perspective. For me, the first time I heard that scream & clean combination, not to mention the vocalist fluidly switching between them mid-sentence, was definitely from Slipknot. I didn't know what metalcore was until years later.

Fear Factory was doing it long before them though.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:31 pm 

I appreciate their dedication, but I never really got their music. The riffs, lyrics, production, none of it really does anything for me at all.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:45 am 

No matter all the years passed, no matter how many brutal bands are out there nowadays, Slipknot was and will always be one of my favorites bands.

Trauma_Hound wrote:

Wonderful story and I am sorry for your loss, friend!

Last edited by ᴎostalgiʞK on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:45 am 

I've literally been into metal for about 2 years, and I grew out of Slipknot

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 pm 

Once you listen to death metal or anything heavier in general you just get tired of them. It is still understable that these days they're mostly the first band you come across when you try to introduce yourself to metal,that's why the industrial amounts of 13-16 years old that listens to them, but still.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:26 pm 

Once you listen to death metal or anything heavier in general you just get tired of them. It is still understable that these days they're mostly the first band you come across when you try to introduce yourself to metal,that's why the industrial amounts of 13-16 years old that listens to them, but still.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next