Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm 

I'm at a point in my album collection where I'm not totally sure what I own or not. So, I'm documenting my entire collection for reference. I'm also documenting movies, books, and video games.

I don't have a good text editor, so I'm using Sublime Text as it has an option to alphabetically sort lists.

Have you documented your collection? How did you go about logging everything?

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:57 pm 

I use an excel spreadsheet for cataloging my music collection. I usually add new entries right after each CD order... which reminds me, I've slacked off and haven't added my new arrivals from this month.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:41 pm 

I used to do it with Discogs.com. It's easy to keep up with your collection and helps keeping track of exactly what edition of each album you own. I don't do it anymore though.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:44 pm 

Gotta go with Discogs for this. The initial entry of the whole lot was cumbersome, but it’s very easy now that I’m slowly adding pieces here and there.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:46 pm 

I've been using the site Rate Your Music for well over a decade. It has all kinds of features for cataloging, tagging, and researching music.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:58 am 

Let's see some of those collections.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:35 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Gotta go with Discogs for this. The initial entry of the whole lot was cumbersome, but it’s very easy now that I’m slowly adding pieces here and there.

I keep meaning to start a Discogs for mine, but every time I look at the amount of scanning & chosing I'd have to do, I'm put off - that site needs a bulk upload function badly.

Since I never did that, my last.fm is pretty accurate (since I don't use spotify etc.) - I'd just have to download it & pivot it out - not pretty, but servicable in a pinch.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 am 

Yeah, I have since around 2002.

Way back then, it was just an unorganized Notepad file (not even in alphabetical) of all the CDs and cassettes I owned. Over time I revised and organized it, and then in about 2013 I started a Google Sheets page of all the vinyl records I own (because I had completely stopped buying other mediums).

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 am 

I have everything I own on both here as well as Discogs. Right down to the correct release. But after 17 or so years of downloading like a bad fan, I'm only just now starting out (closing in on 100 CD's now.) Definitely going to keep a detailed collection list.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 pm 

I have my metal collection (not quite 100% yet) on here but I really need to get everything onto discogs so the rest of my collection (hard rock, punk, alternative) can be catalogued. I used to have a spread sheet for it as well but it just seems so daunting to have to do it again for a 3rd bloody time.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 pm 

Yes, I use Rate Your Music. Its pretty simple to use, until I have a version that isn't listed yet which gets a little old adding. Happens more than you'd think on there! Still, I persist.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:49 am 

Methuen wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

I keep meaning to start a Discogs for mine, but every time I look at the amount of scanning & chosing I'd have to do, I'm put off - that site needs a bulk upload function badly.

That's part of why I don't really use Discogs either. The amount of work to reenter my collection would be insane. I glance at the site periodically for various reasons, but it seems that the people who are most heavily into it tend to either be really picky about specific editions and pressings of albums, which I'm generally not, or they do a lot of swapping online, which I historically haven't. I'm not sure what specific functionality I'm missing out on, maybe someone else who uses it a lot more might have some insight.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:13 am 

I have my collection up to date on here. Probably 80-90% of my stuff is metal anyway, so that's good enough for me. I entered it all in a few years ago when I was bored and have managed to keep up with it since then. That said, it was extremely tedious to enter hundreds of albums, and I have no desire to do that again on another platform anytime soon. Maybe one day.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:37 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That's part of why I don't really use Discogs either. The amount of work to reenter my collection would be insane. I glance at the site periodically for various reasons, but it seems that the people who are most heavily into it tend to either be really picky about specific editions and pressings of albums, which I'm generally not, or they do a lot of swapping online, which I historically haven't. I'm not sure what specific functionality I'm missing out on, maybe someone else who uses it a lot more might have some insight.

A former work colleague had his collection on there for insurance purposes. Makes sense as I believe it values it all for the insurer to see, otherwise you would have to get it appraised. Not sure how accurate it would be tho. I need to look into it at some point.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 am 

Y'know what, I used to do this. But, since I've had so much going on in the past year and a half, I not only have lost over half of my physical music collection (digital music collection is 100% intact, thankfully. Technology is your friend) but I just haven't been able to keep up with everything.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

A former work colleague had his collection on there for insurance purposes. Makes sense as I believe it values it all for the insurer to see, otherwise you would have to get it appraised. Not sure how accurate it would be tho. I need to look into it at some point.

That's pretty much the only reason I want to eventually get it done - make sure that I have everything listed, costed, and I understand which of them 'matter' if the house was to burn down / the revolution happens / aliens invade or whatever. It does always amaze me how valuable otherwise awful black metal releases can be, too.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:28 pm 

I had everything put onto a website called CD Tracker around 2002/2003 timeframe. Funny, because it was a thread here about websites to list your collection. It was a great site, but a few years ago they sold off the site. Whoever took the site over, turned it into a site that had nothing to do with music. At the time I had over 1,000 records and CDs easy in my collection. I spent so much time getting it all on the site. Now it doesn't even come up in Google and I don't remember the exact URL. Was anyone else a user of that site?
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 pm 

Discogs is the best way to go. Not only is it a good way to document your albums in fine details like pressing versions, but it also has the ability to add stuff to a wantlist. When paired up with the app, it's my perfect buddy when I go to record stores and I can suddenly keep track of what I have or if I want something.

It also values your collection, too, which is sick, although it won't value bootlegs/unofficial releases and won't value "banned" releases like NSBM.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:14 am 

I've been keeping a Microsoft Works database of my music collection since 1995. It's still going strong. And Works still works with modern PCs.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:47 am 

MS Works !!! Takes me back. Windows 98 beiege boxes that didn't like to run too long between blue screens o' death.

If anyone is thinking about it, I'd skip trying to use the Apple version of excel for this kind of word - it's like someone tried to port excel but forget 90% of the features.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 am 

Quote:
Do you document your music collection?

Not at all. I stopped collecting CD's 11 years ago. Never did document that collection. It wasn't bigger than me being able to keep track of it by ordering it alphabetically (and chronologically). It is between 450-500 albums.

Nowadays I keep going down the mp3 route (which by today's standards are old school). With this system it orders itself based on folders and names and is very easy to overview.
Metal Archives resident goat fucker. Since adopting the name InnesI online I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, neoliberal, boot licker and verbal masturbator! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:38 pm 

My collection is mostly up to date on rateyourmusic. There's a very short list of things it doesn't have, mostly due to obscurity. I also have the entire thing backed up digitally on an external hard drive along with some other stuff I've downloaded over the years.

I should probably use discogs for the reasons people have mentioned (wantlist) and because I've occasionally used it to buy stuff I can't find anywhere else, but I already picked RYM and have painstakingly manually added everything and I have over 1,250 CDs now. I can't possibly be bothered to do all of that again one by one.

I just keep a separate wantlist in a word doc, there's too much shit I want to buy anyways so I'll never fully be caught up with that.

BANDS I FUCK WITH:
SKYLESS AEONS - New album DRAIN THE SUN out now!!!
CRYOPATHY - suicidal mosh music
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE - post-black sad bois

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
I should probably use discogs for the reasons people have mentioned (wantlist)

RYM has a wishlist feature though. I'm not sure what's different about the Discogs version of it, however.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 am 

I get rid of my CDs two times, the last one a year ago and once LPs/Cassettes years ago, but I never made a list.
I might try to collect LP again one day, but not easy having projects and many hobbies.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:36 pm 

Ughhhh, I've wanted to start a list to document all my CDs and cassettes for a while now but there's a lot of things preventing me:
- My collection is split between both my apartment and my parents house, making it difficult to keep tabs on what I own.
- Metal Archives keeps a solid list of all an album's different releases but I own a ton of non-metal releases I still want to document.
- RYM is a lot more extensive but the site layout and design is pure garbage. It's infuriatingly tedious and buggy to add tags to releases and the bulk of reissues simply aren't archived. I've tried adding bands and releases in the past but it's just a nightmare to get them added.
- Discogs is probably the best site overall but there's plenty of gaps (I own at least a bakers' dozen albums from bands that aren't on there) and I'm not particularly familiar with how the site works other than the marketplace.
- It's time consuming and I'm kinda busy.

I hope to do it at some point. I don't buy that many CDs anymore so my collection isn't really growing but like I said, finding the time to set up a system that catalogues all of them would take more time than I have right now.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:38 pm 

At first I just used an excel spreadsheet, but at some point I strayed away from that.
I picked up CLZ Music Collectors and used that for quite a while, but adding a new release just takes too long, and I didn't like the various filtration and search features all that much.
Finally I switched to Discogs which I still use today. Unfortunately I had a depressive period where I didn't keep it updated and also sold off some stuff, so at some point I will have to go through everything to make sure it's up to date, which is kind of a hassle.

I'm pretty decently happy about Discogs, but it definitely lacks searching, filtration and categorisation features for your collection.

Reply to topic