Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm 

What stereo do you use for vinyl and/or CDs? What would you rate it?

I have the Bose Wave Music System IV for CDs. The sound quality is excellent, but I've had a few small issues. Sometimes discs get jammed and a couple won't even play. I'd rate it 8/10.

Also, out of curiosity, what kind of stereo for CDs, that's still available for sale, do you recommend for audiophiles?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:31 pm 

I only use stereos that allow me to go up to 11.

Check out my reviews

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:37 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I only use stereos that allow me to go up to 11.

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"

[pause]

"These go to eleven."

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 am 

CD - I rip everything into lossless & play it that way (last/fm nerd too) - On my desk I have older Bose Companion speakers - they're PC speakers really, but they do a good job with the music during the working day. I couldn't cope with the inevitable scratches that CDs would accrue if I used them day-to-day :(

Vinyl - I've recently bought a Sony PS-LX310BT (automatic turntable with built in pre-amp / bluetooth) for the vinyl, replacing an ancient (I've had it 20 years, it wasn't new then) wooden all-in-one (tape / CD / LP) sound system for general use. The sound is absolutely brilliant. I use it via bluetooth into the Sony HiFi I have hiding under / behind the TV - since it's all modern codecs and things, the sound isn't that 2003 lossy sound you usually get with bluetooth anything, it's properly vinyl-warm. I may go to wired eventually / a seperate amp, but I wanted to keep the cost down at the moment.

One thing I will say about the big wooden box - the FM radio is much better than via anything plastic I've ever owned. I'm sure a sound nerd can explain why, but it's just better. So breakfast is accompanied by the ritual turning of dials to keep the thing tuned in :D

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm 

I have a computer, and Sennheiser headphones. They are a good brand, same quality would cost you twice as much, with bigger brands. They sound good.

Usually, I’m not at my computer. And I only buy physical media, if it’s some mainstream thing, not on Bandcamp. I play music from my phone, through a Bluetooth speaker, and I turn on its “extra bass” button. Not accurate reproduction, but, considering that 99% of rock music makes bass guitar inaudible, I approve. It makes most things sound better. Not acceptable, by audiophile standards though.

There’s also a Bluetooth speaker at work, I can connect my phone to. Doesn’t sound as good, and supposedly, we aren’t supposed to be playing music out loud here. But if most people already went home, and I’m working overtime, I can turn it up loud. It sucks, but it’s better than no music at all(or worse, working in a store, and having to listen to poser radio).

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:26 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I have a computer, and Sennheiser headphones. They are a good brand, same quality would cost you twice as much, with bigger brands. They sound good.

Always wanted a set of their headphones - they made a really nice type with exposed wiring and so on - could never justify them, though. Glad they're good :D

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:59 pm 

In the main living area I'm running a Sherwood surround receiver, front speakers are Wharfdale diamond bookshelf speakers, no-name rear satellites (both pairs up on stands), 15 inch sub. Turntable is a Technics SL2b going through a Cambridge audio preamp. CD player and cassette deck are from NAD. Blu-ray, Xbox and addroid set-top box go through the receiver also.

Upstairs in my study I've got a vintage Technics amp, Denon CD/Cassette player, Onkyo and Aaron speakers with a 12 inch sub in the corner.

Rating is both subjective and a matter of comparing like with like. Any component Hi-fi setup with semi decent speakers that you have put time into tuning is going to chew up and spit out an "all in one" system like everyone had in the 90s, let alone a computer based setup.....but my stuff is very "entry level" compared to friends of mine who run valve preamps, power conditioners, and have speakers worth more than most people's cars. I'd place my gear at a strong 7.5 or so......but the law of diminishing return kicks in not far above where I am at. The incremental value of how much better everything sounds vs how much more you spend hits the wall at (in my opinion) around $2000. That might seem like a lot of money, and its not pocket change, but given that the discogs valuation of my collection sits around 30k as a median, it seems absurd to have a huge collection and listen to it on a fisher-price "my first stereo" setup.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:48 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
The incremental value of how much better everything sounds vs how much more you spend hits the wall at (in my opinion) around $2000. That might seem like a lot of money, and its not pocket change, but given that the discogs valuation of my collection sits around 30k as a median, it seems absurd to have a huge collection and listen to it on a fisher-price "my first stereo" setup.

Wow, $2 grand for a stereo! My stereo was about $700, laughable in comparison.

I would like to get a very high end stereo like this in the future. Do you think stereos that play CDs will become obsolete, given that everyone seems to just stream music now? I sure hope not.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:35 pm 

Well, past a certain point it becomes a hobby in itself. I never buy much of anything brand new if I can help it which cuts down price significantly, and I'll always stop and check out stereo gear thats been left on the curb for collection (found some great stuff that way over the years as I live in a wealthy neighborhood. Just the other week I found a hi-fi shelving unit worth $350 new left on the curb)

But in a world where you can spend $75,000 on a pair of speakers, 2k for an entire system is a drop in the bucket:
https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/d ... ce-60.html

CD players are sitting where Turntables were around 15 years ago. But it's wrong to think of "a stereo" as an integrated single unit like you used to see. That's a bit like the "Mac vs PC" design philosophy, and the Mac approach of making "a stereo" rather than the PC approach of making components that can be configured at will is kinda dated. The segment of the market that used to head down to radio shack and buy an all in one stereo is now most likely using streaming and bluetooth speakers. You can still get a nice, entry-level audiophile cd player under $500 brand new, but I doubt theres much available at the bottom of the market.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm 

My setup is something like 10 15 years old and is a sony cd boombox all in one. It goes for something like one hundred dollars and is kind of decent actually. The only problem seems to be the high frequencies sound ear piercing and loose lot of detail however the mid range detail sounds pretty well good.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:34 pm 

can't be bothered to check the model but marantz cd player, wharfedale 11 or 12 diamond series speakers and pro-ject debut carbon record player

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:50 pm 

Has anyone else seen the man who lives in a 250 square apartment, so that he can afford his insane stereo system? According to the clip the speakers alone cost $100,000.

https://youtu.be/XJJy6VJvSCk
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:47 pm 

:lol: and I thought I was going crazy with my custom eq settings and studio monitors. That's just insane. "Too much noise in my audio"- nah bro, maybe you have tinnitus

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 am 

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V379. I have a Yamaha NS-AP(?) speaker kit with five small-form speakers and one woofer.

For streaming/digital music, I connect my tablet to the receiver via Bluetooth.

For vinyl, I have a custom U-Turn Orbit running into the receiver. The primary customizations are a cork mat, acrylic platter, Grado Blue cartridge, and built in phono preamp.

For other media, I have a Sony blu ray player run to the receiver. I use it mainly for blu ray/DVD surround audio, but additionally for blu ray/DVD movies, and the very occasional CD.

The receiver is versatile-not only does it have Bluetooth and RCA audio ins, it has 4 HDMI ins and one HDMI out. So I also run my NES Classic, SNES Classic, and a Roku through the receiver. It sends the audio through the speakers and the video to my TV.
Obliteration

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm 

I have 2 sets, with computer i have pretty basic Tannoy 2-way speakers connected with procaster amp.
for CD listening im using Meridian 506 player, 518 processor and DSP5500 speakers, fully digital signal path.
Pretty old set now, but still like new and is sounding really good.

Its not just about equipment, acoustic elements have to be in order too and set have to fit in the room.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:38 pm 

20 year old Sony CD player and more recent big Yamaha amp running to a pair of KEF floorstanders. Plenty of bass....

I hook my laptop up to the amp a lot to play stuff.

I also have a forty year old Pioneer deck for my vinyl but that's currently in storage as I wasn't using it much.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 pm 

For digital files I either stream from various sites or play back from my rather extensive catalog of FLAC and higher bitrate MP3s, both into a Monoprice digital audio converter/headphone amplifier.

For vinyl I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Blue MM phono cartridge, ART DJ Pre II phono preamp, and Schiit Lyr 2 tube headphone amplifier.

I have a bunch of different headphones I rotate between those two devices and others, including a Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD-600, Grado SR-325is, Ultrasone Pro 900, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 ohm, Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X, and others.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 am 

Before I had kids I was decently into hi-fi stuff (not like super high shelf stuff, but you know).
Still got the whole setup, but these days it sees only rare usage with the wife and kids usually taking up the living room....

Apart from having changed my cassette deck recently, it's been the same for some years.

Amp: Yamaha A-S501. Great, simple amp with lots of input options. Very clean sound that doesn't colour the input a lot. Doesn't have a display or anything, which can be a bit of a mild annoyance as the entire interface is black, making it hard to discern current settings and such. Another downside is no built-in bluetooth/wireless.

CD player: Yamaha CD-S300. Like the amp, a very simple player. Looks great with the sleek black finish. It takes USBs as well. Nothing fancy, it gets the job done.

Record player: Rega Planar 1. Probably where my setup is most in need of an upgrade. The record player in itself is decent enough, but the Rega pickup it came with isn't that great. From what I hear, upgrading to something like an Ortofon pickup can be a bit of a bitch due to the height of the tonearm or something.

Cassette deck: Nakamichi RX 202e. I used to rock a Sony WE475 double deck, but it crapped out on me a while back. So I splurged and got this Nakamichi, which unfortunately needs some TLC in terms of new belts and a new idler wheel. Got the parts, just need to do the deed....

Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8. Got these beautiful dark wood Silver 8 standing speakers. They sound absolutely incredible, have amazing depth and some really clean bright tones as well.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:10 am 

I don't have the best setup right now, but I aim to upgrade everything in time.

CD player: Sony DVP NS400D (it's also a dvd player but it works fine for playing cd's for now)
Turntable: Technics SL-QD33R
Cassette: JVC TD-W95
Amplifier: Yamaha RX-V990
Secondary Amplifier: JVC RX-318 (I mainly use this one for the turntable for the phono input that doesn't work on my other amp)

I mostly listen to everything through my Sennhesier HD300 headphones instead of through my speakers.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:42 pm 

Amp - Luxman R-1040
Turntable - BIC 980
I use a discman instead of CD player because mine is kinda faulty
Cassette - Sansui DX119W
Speakers - 80s National Panasonic

does it djent?
stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Reply to topic