Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:28 pm 

I made it when I was 12 after falling in love with the song Unorthodox Manifesto by Dimmu Borgir.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:07 am 

I grew up watching tons of Bugs Bunny cartoons, and one episode that stands out is when Bugs and Daffy go to a cave with a dude named Hassan guarding a giant pile of gold. Daffy's always getting chopped by Hassan - "HASSAN CHOP!!!"

Well Bugs is of course fucking around with him, and at one point he pretends to be a genie. Hassan releases Bugs from the bottle he's in, and Bugs grants him the treasure with a "magic spell" - he's basically clowning around, dancing around and saying a bunch of gibberish and at the end his ears literally go square, he does a head strut and is like "FLIPPITYFLAPPITYFLOOP" - as a 10 year old kid I just found that fucking hilarious.

FLIPPITYFLAPPITYFLOOP is too long for this site though, so I just shortened it to FLIPPITYFLOOP. It was also my YouTube account name for a while too until they changed their settings to use your real name and link it to your Google account.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:10 am 

The "diamonds" in my name comes from the fact that I just like the diamond shape, and I incorporated the word "diamond" into various online handles for a while until, one day, when thinking of names for a music project, I thought "Lord of Diamonds sounds really cool." I drew a logo and everything and the name stuck.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:36 pm 

Luvers wrote:
There is only one forum I used to actively frequent that I did not use this on, otherwise I have always been 'Luvers". I have read people several times over the years trying to pronounce the word. Some have tried to call it Lovers, while others have called it LOOvers, trying to make sense of the U instead of the O, when in reality it is neither.

The word would be pronounced like (swer-u-val), as if you were trying to blend the words "Swerve" and "Oval" at the same time. It is an English transliteration of a word in Aramaic (that is a story in itself) which means To be without love or Absence of intense devotion or attachment.

I spent almost 2 minutes trying to pronounce that word.. And I am still not sure.. Im not a good pronouncer already..
Imagine that lol.
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I grew up watching tons of Bugs Bunny cartoons, and one episode that stands out is when Bugs and Daffy go to a cave with a dude named Hassan guarding a giant pile of gold. Daffy's always getting chopped by Hassan - "HASSAN CHOP!!!"

Well Bugs is of course fucking around with him, and at one point he pretends to be a genie. Hassan releases Bugs from the bottle he's in, and Bugs grants him the treasure with a "magic spell" - he's basically clowning around, dancing around and saying a bunch of gibberish and at the end his ears literally go square, he does a head strut and is like "FLIPPITYFLAPPITYFLOOP" - as a 10 year old kid I just found that fucking hilarious.

FLIPPITYFLAPPITYFLOOP is too long for this site though, so I just shortened it to FLIPPITYFLOOP. It was also my YouTube account name for a while too until they changed their settings to use your real name and link it to your Google account.

LOL dude I used to watch tons of cartoons back when I was a kid.. Ooooh now you bring me some beauty memories.. I had couple of cartoons games on my old PSX.. Sheep Raider, Bugs Bunny and Taz Time Busters. Bugs bunny lost in time. The thing is that Bugs were always fucking around with everyone, similar of that episode you sais loololl. Those games were crazy as shit The perfect trollbunny..

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:42 pm 

Wizard of Bore, is a play on the horror movie Wizard of Gore. About 20 years ago, I used as an email address just as a goof. After a while though I really started to like it.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:46 pm 

Gambian football goalkeeper Pa Dembo Touray, who was in my favorite club Djurgården 2000-2011 and played close to 200 league games, and won some titles and fan-vote-decided awards. He was known for his huge hands, long throws, quick reflexes and was a fun guy in the club.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:26 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Wizard of Bore, is a play on the horror movie Wizard of Gore. About 20 years ago, I used as an email address just as a goof. After a while though I really started to like it.

Holy shit, Wizard of Bore is an awesome name, I imagine some conjurer wearing a a grey/blue worn out bloody robe, hooded so his face cannot be seen like Altair, but his eyes are bright red, his hands are putrid so his green skin, he seems to hover over the floor more than simply walking.

I know.. Enough imagination for today.. haha
Dembo wrote:
Gambian football goalkeeper Pa Dembo Touray, who was in my favorite club Djurgården 2000-2011 and played close to 200 league games, and won some titles and fan-vote-decided awards. He was known for his huge hands, long throws, quick reflexes and was a fun guy in the club.

Haha this was so good!

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am 

Mine is Russian for "I sleep" or "I am sleeping". Seemed fitting at the time as I had a Russian wife and a sleeping disorder. The wife is now the ex-wife and the sleeping disorder is much better (partly as a consequence, lol), so not so fitting any more.

Plus it sounds funny.

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:03 pm 

Quick Answer:

Its about Conan. Awesome. It has the word sword. Swords are awesome. Skelos is a dark, mysterious word. Ooooo.

It's actually not the best novel, but I read the Savage Sword adaption as a kid and love it.

Long Answer:
When I was 10, I was on vacation with my family and another family, which included three boys. Our parents wanted rid of us so they could go drinking and have fun without us rugrats. They gave the eldest boy some cash and told us to go see a movie or something. After wisely putting a 15 year old in charge of a gang of boys, he led us to the theater, where he bought tickets for some Disney movie. We were all pretty put out, but as the lights went out and the movie began, he stood up told us to follow and shut the f up. We all listened, because clearly something cool was happening. We snuck through the theater and were led into another room. I and an even younger kid were forced to sit with jackets over our heads until the lights went down. When the lights went down and the movie started we were uncovered, and we were not disappointed. It was Conan the Barbarian. I saw things that afternoon that burst my 10 year old brain. Arnold made me a Conan fan for life, got me into DnD, stoked my interest in Medieval history.

So anything Conan related would probably have done, but Sword of Skelos won out.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:38 pm 

That's a great story :). Man, when you're a kid, seeing the right film or listening to the right album is absolutely life changing. Sneaking into the R-rated movies was also something I remember doing a lot as a kid, but I think I'm a bit younger than you so it wasn't Conan I was sneaking into (Team America: World Police. I think I was the same age, around 10).

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:28 am 

splyu wrote:
Mine is Russian for "I sleep" or "I am sleeping". Seemed fitting at the time as I had a Russian wife and a sleeping disorder. The wife is now the ex-wife and the sleeping disorder is much better (partly as a consequence, lol), so not so fitting any more.

Plus it sounds funny.

This is the most metal thing I've read today lol

Sword of Skelos wrote:
Quick Answer:

Its about Conan. Awesome. It has the word sword. Swords are awesome. Skelos is a dark, mysterious word. Ooooo.

It's actually not the best novel, but I read the Savage Sword adaption as a kid and love it.

Long Answer:
When I was 10, I was on vacation with my family and another family, which included three boys. Our parents wanted rid of us so they could go drinking and have fun without us rugrats. They gave the eldest boy some cash and told us to go see a movie or something. After wisely putting a 15 year old in charge of a gang of boys, he led us to the theater, where he bought tickets for some Disney movie. We were all pretty put out, but as the lights went out and the movie began, he stood up told us to follow and shut the f up. We all listened, because clearly something cool was happening. We snuck through the theater and were led into another room. I and an even younger kid were forced to sit with jackets over our heads until the lights went down. When the lights went down and the movie started we were uncovered, and we were not disappointed. It was Conan the Barbarian. I saw things that afternoon that burst my 10 year old brain. Arnold made me a Conan fan for life, got me into DnD, stoked my interest in Medieval history.

So anything Conan related would probably have done, but Sword of Skelos won out.

Nice!

I laughed a lot when I read the 3 to 4 four paragraph..

Unorthodox wrote:
That's a great story :). Man, when you're a kid, seeing the right film or listening to the right album is absolutely life changing.

Hey that's true man, even colors, sounds, a place may mark you forever, May I ask why Unorthodox is your nick?

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:12 pm 

Mine's a straight translation of Morbid Angel into German, though I'm aware it's improper (should be "Morbider Engel" but fuck it, I like it how it is). The idea came to mind after I came home from a Rammstein show back in 2012 or so and I was using the name on another forum.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am 

When I was in high school I never had anyone to talk to about music, once I was complaining about it and one of my friends told me "you're just too underground".
Shortly after that I discovered the Vital Remains album, which is one of my favourites, so I started to use it.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:12 pm 

Beherit, baby!

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:43 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
I made it when I was 12 after falling in love with the song Unorthodox Manifesto by Dimmu Borgir.

Oh shit I overlooked it Unorthodox! My bad.

MorbidEngel wrote:
Mine's a straight translation of Morbid Angel into German, though I'm aware it's improper (should be "Morbider Engel" but fuck it, I like it how it is). The idea came to mind after I came home from a Rammstein show back in 2012 or so and I was using the name on another forum.

Nice, hey why did it occured to you while you was coming from that show? Did they show inspired you for more reasons?

Forever Underground wrote:
When I was in high school I never had anyone to talk to about music, once I was complaining about it and one of my friends told me "you're just too underground".
Shortly after that I discovered the Vital Remains album, which is one of my favourites, so I started to use it.

Your friend comment was pretty metal right there!

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Beherit, baby!

If something came from Beherit, it's probably correct ;)
I dunno why I will ask this, but what do you think about Baptism from Finland?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:11 am 

Seinfeld.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
Beherit, baby!

If something came from Beherit, it's probably correct ;)
I dunno why I will ask this, but what do you think about Baptism from Finland?

That's a band I hadn't heard of before you mentioned them, but I checked out "The Beherial Midnight," and it's some cool stuff.

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:27 pm 

"Grindcrusher" used to be a stage name I used when I was first trying to be in a band and trying out all sorts of stage names.

I don't use it anymore, but I suppose it's a bit too late to change it now.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:45 pm 

This nick has been accompanying me since my first forumboard explorations in 2005. I was heavily into Machine Head at that time, and I was referring to them with this, so there you have it. I got a question at some point from someone who wondered if it was a reference to the lyrical themes of Fear Factory... I guess it could be yes, think what you want of it !!! :-D :np:

Well, so now everyone knows I guess, but this is a cool thread... It's like the unlocked book of secrets of the Metal Archives board :lol:
The things everyone here was wondering for years, the forumboard nicknames finally explained!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:19 am 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:

I spent almost 2 minutes trying to pronounce that word.. And I am still not sure.. Im not a good pronouncer already..

Ι'm OK at pronouncing and decided I will still read Luvers as Loovers, with a slight french finish, just because!

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

When you said Hassan, I immediately got the nickname. I grew up on that stuff, Daffy was my favorite, the way he flicks his tongue when he sees the treasure or "down down down, go go go!", awesome! I should say that Mel Blanc is a god, pure genius, I'm dead serious. If I had used your way of thinking, I think my nickname would have been "Yoiks_and_away!". The second "away" KILLS ME every time and then onwards it just kills me more dead.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:08 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

When you said Hassan, I immediately got the nickname. I grew up on that stuff, Daffy was my favorite, the way he flicks his tongue when he sees the treasure or "down down down, go go go!", awesome! I should say that Mel Blanc is a god, pure genius, I'm dead serious. If I had used your way of thinking, I think my nickname would have been "Yoiks_and_away!". The second "away" KILLS ME every time and then onwards it just kills me more dead.

Mel Blanc is an absolute legend - love him! I think it's the 3rd or 4th away that gets me :lol: then he spends all this time chopping the trees down and slams into a rock! You think he would've seen that, no? Then Porky's just watching with so much indifference :lol:

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:52 am 

Mine is a name I use all over, and it's kind of evolved over time. Used to go by TheFallenMoon online, as a reference to the video game Majora's Mask, and some people took to calling me Moon and then eventually Luna. Honestly I forget how the -ris was added, but it happened at some point, and now Lunaris is just my default username. It kinda feels like a second name at this point :lol:

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:04 pm 

I've long been a bit of a drunken bastard, and since 2015 I've often worn a black leather tricorn as my 'drinking hat'.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:39 pm 

Stems from Genesis' "Can-Utility and the Coastliners". Just an allusion to musical preferences - but it could also be a boat or a bus. I think I like the bus best. To make it seem more metallic, I'd say: it's probably "The Last Bus to Hell" or "The Bus of Doom".

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:54 pm 

oh. good to know. i thought it was bcs you lived on the coast somewhere :) can you say your hometown without saying it? :p

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:18 pm 

aloof wrote:
oh. good to know. i thought it was bcs you lived on the coast somewhere :) can you say your hometown without saying it? :p

Yes, I can, I have the ability to do that. :-P
(Saying something without saying it - wouldn't that be another riddle?)

In any case, the song is a re-telling of a legend feat. King Canute. Historians still don't know if and where it took place. Hazy, hazy...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 am 

sjal wrote:
Oh, about the nickname... I wanted to sign up as "själ" (which means "soul" in Swedish), but the MA registration system (just as registration systems on many other websites, I guess) was not 'friendly' to certain non-English letters (Edit: or maybe I just presumed that the non-English letters were not allowed for registration on MA because I had previously unsuccessfully tried to register under this nickname on some other ''international'' website... when I thought about it more carefully, I realized that I'm actually not sure if I remember it correctly).
Anyway, it made me sad, but I needed to come up with some other nickname. I checked out what "sjal" means at random (it's "shawl") and I kind of liked it (I like to be wearing a shawl, especially its warmer variety, - wrapping yourself up in this kind of clothing is very comfortable for both walking outside in cold weather and sitting inside a house when there is not warm enough in a room), so I decided to use this 'nickname' for signing up here on MA.

Spoiler: show
I also had a second account on MA (where the nickname was just a softer form of my real name), but I deleted it because it reminded me of some very sad periods of my real life.
(And I also had an account with some "April Fools' joke" nickname (and I'm very sorry about that) *shame*, but I soon deleted it for obvious reasons).

Haha, now that is funny. Sjal is shawl in Norwegian also. Usually worn by old artsy grannies here.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:51 am 

My name is taken from the best way to describe each individual human

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 pm 

It's my IRL last name, modified to have an "ass" in it.

...I was 14, cut me some slack.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:42 pm 

yentass wrote:
It's my IRL last name, modified to have an "ass" in it.

...I was 14, cut me some slack.

Because of the short y, I read your name as ventass, which I think is brilliant.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:33 pm 

My name "raumr" was supposed to be an Old Norse word that means "Man from Raumaríki". Raumaríki is the Old Norse version of Romerike, which is the region I'm from in Norway. It was one of the petty kingdoms that existed before Norway was united in the viking age.

I thought it was cool when I was a teenager and all, but I wouldn't choose it today. :lol: I'm not even sure it's grammatically correct in the sense I tried to make it. It's also another example of Scandinavians just adding the letter "r" to the end of modern words to "Old Norsify" them.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:35 am 

eh, this is just my English name. I know foreign ppl tend to tell us 'hey be proud of your Chinese name it's beautiful'. Ah well, this feel much more comfortable and most of my foreign friend know me as Shirley. I mean, hell, I've been using it since like 7 or something,my Chinese nickname also evolved out of it so why not?
But I'm hating the 666 rn... I sort of created my profile when I was about half year into metal, so I was in a bit of what the Chinese metal community would entitled as “poser phase” and was really interesting in hailing Satan and shits like that, hence the suffix “666”. That just feel fucking weird now considering my preference for power metal...

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Last edited by thePowermetalLynx on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:04 pm 

10 year old me looked for a nickname to go by on Tanki Online. A friend I had back then said "clubpenguin" was too childish, so I picked raspberrysoda for some unknown reason.

Funny thing. I never tried raspberry soda, and about two years ago, I quit drinking sweetened drinks altogether.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:35 pm 

Shirley666 wrote:
eh, this is just my English name. I know foreign ppl tend to tell us 'hey be proud of your Chinese name it's beautiful'. Ah well, this feel much more comfortable and most of my foreign friend know me as Shirley. I mean, hell, I've been using it since like 7 or something,my Chinese nickname also evolved out of it why not?
But I'm hating the 666 rn... I sort of created my profile when I was about half year into metal, so I was in a bit of what the Chinese metal community would entitled as “poser phase” and was really interesting in hailing Satan and shits like that, hence the suffix “666”. That just feel fucking weird now considering my preference for power metal...

You can always talk to a site admin to have your name changed. I also had that 666 before but I didn't want it anymore, so, I asked Helblazer to remove it.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:03 pm 

Shirley666 wrote:
eh, this is just my English name. I know foreign ppl tend to tell us 'hey be proud of your Chinese name it's beautiful'. Ah well, this feel much more comfortable and most of my foreign friend know me as Shirley. I mean, hell, I've been using it since like 7 or something,my Chinese nickname also evolved out of it why not?

I kinda like it. Where I'm from Shirley is more of an older/less common name (was my grandma's sister's name), so seeing it paired with something "edgy" like the 666 creates a sort of charming juxtaposition.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:16 pm 

rarezuzuh wrote:
Shirley666 wrote:

I kinda like it. Where I'm from Shirley is more of an older/less common name (was my grandma's sister's name), so seeing it paired with something "edgy" like the 666 creates a sort of charming juxtaposition.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:31 pm 

Contrasting pairings endlessly fascinate me. A similar idea that popped right into my head would be something like "JaneBaphomet".

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Contrasting pairings endlessly fascinate me. A similar idea that popped right into my head would be something like "JaneBaphomet".

Jesus Damien?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 pm 

Mine is a play on Benedict Arnold, the American Revolution era general. In light of Jan. 6, the name seemed appropriate for 'the Donald'. ;)

https://www.intelligence.gov/evolution- ... ict-arnold

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Jesus Damien?

Dick Hunt?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next