Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:54 pm 

I've been known to get into some blues, folk, country, indie kinds of stuff. Son House, Howlin Wolf, Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Bloc Party, Sturgill Simpson, the White Stripes, Kevin Welch, Gillian Welch, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iris DeMent, Mishka Shubaly - just random stuff I get into. I've dug a lot of Depeche Mode, Fiona Apple, Stereolab and other random things as well.

Looking to get more into jazz - not looking for easy entry level stuff. What's the craziest shit out there?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I've been known to get into some blues, folk, country, indie kinds of stuff. Son House, Howlin Wolf, Sarah Shook & the Disarmers, Bloc Party, Sturgill Simpson, the White Stripes, Kevin Welch, Gillian Welch, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iris DeMent, Mishka Shubaly - just random stuff I get into. I've dug a lot of Depeche Mode, Fiona Apple, Stereolab and other random things as well.

Looking to get more into jazz - not looking for easy entry level stuff. What's the craziest shit out there?

Yes that's the spirit :-D

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew is a sprawling masterpiece that still blows my mind and I'd recommend it for how ambitious it is in scope and delivery.

Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity gets my vote for the really out there free-jazz style. Free jazz is the best jazz as far as I'm concerned. There's a bunch of different sounding albums and artists to sample. Soft Machine's Third and Bundles albums I'd also highly recommend if you'd like some jazz-rock/avant garde mix.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:24 pm 

...and I'm seconding the Gillian Welch, Leonard Cohen, Fiona Apple mentions too. Great songwriters!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:40 pm 

For sure. I get into the minimalism of it all. But this summer has seen me going the other way, getting into the more complex musicality. I did always mean to try Bitches Brew - I think I was broke and in between jobs when I saw it at the record store once. Thanks for the recs.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Howlin Wolf...Gillian Welch...Fiona Apple

Those are some favorites of mine. Howlin' Wolf has one of the coolest voices I've ever heard, it's no wonder he got his nickname. Gillian has taken some time to grow on me, but every listen is a bit more impressive. Fiona's recent albums are more hit or miss for me, but When the Pawn is unbeatable.

Empyreal wrote:

Well, you are in luck, because even though historically this slice of jazz hasn't been my bag, I've had friends who were deep into this shit, so they've gotten me to check out some pretty fucked up stuff. Here's a few.

Berne/Rainey/Tabor - The Shell Game
Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun
John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
Crispell/Guy/Parker/Lytton - Natives and Aliens
Alexander von Schlippenbach Trio - Pakistani Pomade
Manfred Schoof - European Echoes
John Zorn - Astronome

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew is a sprawling masterpiece that still blows my mind and I'd recommend it for how ambitious it is in scope and delivery.

It's a great album, but it's pretty tame if he's looking for the brutal death metal, dissonant black metal, grind-core, power violence of jazz.

Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity gets my vote for the really out there free-jazz style. Free jazz is the best jazz as far as I'm concerned.

Now that's more like it. I want to revisit a lot of these sorts of albums again now that I've had a breakthrough in recent years of finally getting some experimental 20th century classical, avant-prog and such to click.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:32 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

It's a great album, but it's pretty tame if he's looking for the brutal death metal, dissonant black metal, grind-core, power violence of jazz.

You're right but I hold it up for how versatile it is compositionally and just the amount of virtuosos on board - the sheer scope of it. It is groovy jazz fusion but also dissonant, magnanimous and chaotic. Yeah I know it is overly celebrated and ingrained at this point but jazz is great when it is ambitious and over-reaching and what finer example than this?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:04 pm 

It's really hard to say two, but I could easily pick three, so fuck it I'll pick three- Jazz, Classical, and Hip Hop.

Jazz- My first Jazz album was Benny Goodman's 16 Most Requested Songs. Benny Goodman was the Metallica of Jazz, essentially bringing it to such a mainstream audience that it became widely accepted. I can't help but think racism had a really large part to do with it, but either way, his 1938 concert at Carnegie Hall was seen as a show which gave white people the thumbs up to listen to Jazz. It's swing, which is obviously a very bubblegum poppy version of Jazz, but that's what sells to untrained ears across all generations lol.

Anyways, from there I got into all the other stuff. The only material I haven't really liked is, surprisingly, the Allan Holdsworth style of fusion Jazz. Pretty crazy, considering that both Meshuggah and Periphery are some of my favorite bands yet they are both deeply influenced by this period of Jazz. Just never did anything for me. But the 50s and 60s is my favorite era. I love Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus. Just really damn good musicians. It's a very stereotypical opinion, but Kind of Blue is, without a doubt, one of the top albums of the 20th century.

Classical- The problem I have with classical is that, as much as I love and listen to classical, the surrounding culture has always been a serious bummer. Bunch of pompous dickweeds and gatekeepers. And, uhm- racists. Lots of those (anyone who tells me Wagner is an example of exquisitely sophisticated music while simultaneously telling me they think Jazz is 'noise' usually gets a hard glance from me). But aside from that, I've listened to classical basically my entire life. I mean, who hasn't? I do remember though that Mozart's Requiem was the first piece that really moved me into the "this shit fucking rules" camp. Since then I've broadened quite a bit. Quite frankly, eastern europeans make the best classical. Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Stravinskty, Shostakovich. These are the GOATS, with Vivaldi and Bach being the exception to this rule. I like Mozart, but he's like Benny Goodman, or Metallica's "Black Album". Great songwriter, but way too catchy to really entice me to listen frequently. And tbh, if I want catchy I'll listen to Tchaikovsky any day of the week. I like some Beethoven, but not much. May have been influential, but not pleasant to listen to.

Hip Hop- I've been a Hip Hop fan for about as long as I've been a metalhead (kinda). Started with Eminem like any 9 year old white kid from the suburbs, but then basically ditched rap altogether and got into metal. It wasn't until I was 18 and, like a typical white kid from the suburbs, got right back into rap with Tyler, The Creator. This time, however, I kept around and expanded into other hip hop artists. If I was honest, my favorite decades are the 90s and the decade that just passed. I feel like, besides Eminem and maybe like Ludacris, 00's rap lacks any sort of soul or experimentation. With 90's rap, like Grand Puba or Tupac, there's a shitton of soul. And god, Tupac had just a fuckton of charisma. Talk about someone who died before reaching his potential as a human being, fucking tragic.

A ton of people hate this current 'mumble rap' genre like Playboi Carti and whatnot, but I have to say some of it I really dig. For me with hip hop, the music and flow of the rap came primary over the lyrics. With mumble rap, it becomes even more emphasized, and I like that. It's not for everyone, but that's alright. I think it'll age well. Also love the $uicideboy$, that was my quarantine music. I played their shit basically 24/7. Idk, something about them really spoke to me this past year. They're great rappers too, way overlooked by the hip hop culture at large. Most people I know that like them are metalheads like me :lol:.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

You're right but I hold it up for how versatile it is compositionally and just the amount of virtuosos on board - the sheer scope of it. It is groovy jazz fusion but also dissonant, magnanimous and chaotic. Yeah I know it is overly celebrated and ingrained at this point but jazz is great when it is ambitious and over-reaching and what finer example than this?

Sure, but if he's looking to go right into the deep end, it's just too overexposed. There's a reason it's one of the first jazz albums that many people get into, because it has rock energy and funkiness that can draw in fans of soul, hip-hop and such. But it's not really "crazy" like the avant-garde, experimental stuff can be.

Unorthodox wrote:
I can't help but think racism had a really large part to do with it, but either way, his 1938 concert at Carnegie Hall was seen as a show which gave white people the thumbs up to listen to Jazz.

I think the modern tendency is to try and overly apply this facile filter to everything now, and there are often more complex issues at work, but it does nevertheless tend to happen that artists from Elvis to the Beatles to the Rolling Stones to Cream to Led Zeppelin to Eminem frequently make their earlier influences more palatable to the masses.

Unorthodox wrote:
It's swing, which is obviously a very bubblegum poppy version of Jazz, but that's what sells to untrained ears across all generations lol.

It can be, though there's plenty of good stuff too, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Teddy Wilson, Lester Young, Lionel Hampton, Fletcher Henderson, Brian Setzer, and others. Plenty more if we're just talking big band jazz in general.

Unorthodox wrote:
Charlie Parker...Charles Mingus. Just really damn good musicians.

Indeed.

Unorthodox wrote:

Classical- The problem I have with classical is that, as much as I love and listen to classical, the surrounding culture has always been a serious bummer. Bunch of pompous dickweeds and gatekeepers.

While this is true, I have yet to find a genre where this isn't an issue. Metal can be just as bad (or much worse according to some people).

Unorthodox wrote:
But aside from that, I've listened to classical basically my entire life. I mean, who hasn't?

I don't know, other than some older people and certain segments of music snobs, I rarely run across people who are that into it. It's been a minuscule percentage of music purchases for decades, and tends to be propped up government arts programs. I'm not sure it would really even survive on its own other than as a historical artifact. My issue with classical is that it's really daunting to get into it casually. A lot of compositions don't have a definitive version, and sorting through the dozens of different orchestras who've recorded them can be intimidating. Information to sort it out online used to be hard to come by, and now there's so much of it that it's easy to drown in it. I've had more success focusing on the interpretations by specific performers, like Hilary Hahn, Lisa Batiashvili, Itzhak Perlman, Glenn Gould, Martha Argerich, Yuja Wang, etc.

Unorthodox wrote:
For me with hip hop, the music and flow of the rap came primary over the lyrics.

Lol, so much yes. Even with arguably the most lyrically focused genre around I still manage to focus on everything but the lyrics. I could listen to the flow of Treach from Naughty By Nature, Chali 2na from Jurassic 5, RZA from the Wu Tang Clan, Ice Cube from N.W.A., Tonedeff, etc. all day.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 am 

Outside of rock and its offshoots, I'd probably have to say experimental. In its more pure sense, meaning artists such as The Residents, some of Laurie Anderson's work, old school industrial (SPK, Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten, Nurse With Wound, Fetus Productions), power electronics/noise (Whitehouse, Einleitungszeit, a bit of Merzbow). I figure there's also an overlap with dark ambient such as In Slaughter Natives and all the early experimental electronic/musique concrète I've explored – mostly 60s & 70s releases, the likes of Trevor Wishart, Bernard Parmegiani, Pierre Schaeffer, Desmond Leslie, Ivo Malec, Karel Appel etc.

I particularly enjoy some of the more recent and obscure artists along the same lines that I've stumbled onto, mostly via Last.fm. Some of my most listened in approximate categories: Falsewander and Posthuman Tantra (dark ambient), Dupobs, Doug Sharp and Agnostic Asylum (experimental), Esion Vule and Dizzy Gear (noise), and Pine Tree State Mind Control (power electronics).

If that all counts as one then I'd name hip-hop next. I mostly only like some 80s-90s/hardcore/gangsta/boom bap stuff and usually prefer rappers with deeper voices, and even within those parameters I'm very selective. Some of my favourites are Ultramagnetic MC's, Wu-Tang Clan, Onyx, Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three, Dam Native, Cypress Hill, Fu-Schnickens. There are some badass female rappers from the 90s I like too, namely A.M. Dre', T-Love, Boss, The Lady of Rage, The Conscious Daughters and H.W.A. For more recent hip-hop artists, I dig Yugen Blakrok, R.A. the Rugged Man and Mr. Toxic.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 am 

DeadKid wrote:
I figure there's also an overlap with dark ambient such as In Slaughter Natives and all the early experimental electronic/musique concrète I've explored

It's weird, they're historically related, and yet to me, generally so very far apart. I love dark ambient such as Raison d'Etre, Thomas Koner, Atrium Carceri, Lustmord, Troum, Gustaf Hildebrand, Yen Pox, Herbst9, Apocryphos and such, but I've never been able to wrap my head around the more pure industrial or noise material.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:34 am 

"Byzantine" Orthodox chanting (and some Russian), which I picked up from church obviously and have been doing myself for about 15 years.

Classical, which I picked up from my dad, who had a huge vinyl collection and always listened to at home. I beg to differ about the eastern europeans vs the germans really, the triad of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven is unbeatable. Imagine having a problem with music being catchy! :P

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
doomicus wrote:
Number two for me is most likely Space Rock, and progressive off shoots of that. My love for that sort of music was directly linked to discovering Hawkwind, and then shortly after exploring Gong, and Acid Mother's Temple.

Space rock is an area I really want to get more into at some point. I love Gong, but most of the others I've tried so far have been a bit underwhelming.

Have you tried Space Ritual?

https://youtu.be/uoA8zu1ZTSI

I've always like Lemmy a lot more with Hawkwind than with Motorhead.

I've heard other Hawkwind albums, but not that one until last night. Pretty good stuff, though I think I may have a different idealized version of space rock in my head than it actually tends to be in practice. I'm looking for essentially a rock version of this, but I don't know if such a thing exists.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
It's swing, which is obviously a very bubblegum poppy version of Jazz, but that's what sells to untrained ears across all generations lol.

It can be, though there's plenty of good stuff too, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Teddy Wilson, Lester Young, Lionel Hampton, Fletcher Henderson, Brian Setzer, and others. Plenty more if we're just talking big band jazz in general.

Yeah all those guys are really talented, albeit it's not the main stuff I listen to (again, usually more into that 50's-60's era when the big band sound kind of went out of style).

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:

Classical- The problem I have with classical is that, as much as I love and listen to classical, the surrounding culture has always been a serious bummer. Bunch of pompous dickweeds and gatekeepers.

While this is true, I have yet to find a genre where this isn't an issue. Metal can be just as bad (or much worse according to some people).

Yeah that's actually one of the more concerning things about the metal scene. I find a big reason why people don't like classical is because of the surrounding culture. Maybe I'm wrong, but just seems like snooty rich people with their wine/cheese parties while having a celloist play an incredible rendition of some Bach song doesn't exactly draw in a younger crowd. In fact, I would say bands like Epica or even Dimmu do more a service to classical music than actual classical. I know for me it was my interest in symphonic black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Limbonic Art in specific) that gave me the interest to really delve into classical.

Metal's lately got the same thing going on. The whole scene is becoming older, and those people who are older often have the same sort of gatekeepy tendencies. And what's interesting, is that people seem to love metal aesthetically, but music wise have A) no idea where to start and B) are met with edgelords that reduce their interest in delving any further. But like you said, this is in every genre to a large degree. I even see it in Punk and Hip Hop these days too (exponentially growing in hip hop, with the "This younger gen z crowd has no idea what REAL hip hop is" people).

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
But aside from that, I've listened to classical basically my entire life. I mean, who hasn't?

I don't know, other than some older people and certain segments of music snobs, I rarely run across people who are that into it. It's been a minuscule percentage of music purchases for decades, and tends to be propped up government arts programs. I'm not sure it would really even survive on its own other than as a historical artifact. My issue with classical is that it's really daunting to get into it casually. A lot of compositions don't have a definitive version, and sorting through the dozens of different orchestras who've recorded them can be intimidating. Information to sort it out online used to be hard to come by, and now there's so much of it that it's easy to drown in it. I've had more success focusing on the interpretations by specific performers, like Hilary Hahn, Lisa Batiashvili, Itzhak Perlman, Glenn Gould, Martha Argerich, Yuja Wang, etc.

Definitely agree. You try finding one piece of music and your met with 10,000 recordings, all of which have their own "way" of doing things. I've heard pieces played that I didn't like at all, only to find a different recording from a different performer and absolutely fall in love with it. I think, with most people, that whole mid 19th-early 20th century period is just a black box of unknowns surrounding The Nutcracker :lol:. When I was getting into it, I'd just find random cd's on soulseek and download without much thought. I found a lot of good stuff that way, but also a lot of junk that I never listen to.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Setting aside metal and rock for now, which more or less all of us love to varying degrees, what are your primary two other musical scenes to listen to?
Classical and Jazz. While I pride myself a little on respecting all music and having a richly eclectic taste and collection, there has only been one genre that I have never lost my absolute love for and that is Jazz.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:41 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

I decided to start with this, definitely not as crazy as it likely could be, but I can dig it so far. Colorful and expansive. I'll sample some more of these recs later.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:25 pm 

I don't think I have a favorite style beyond metal and rock. I do like the occasional artist or song from other genres, whether it's alternative, punk, blues, jazz, pop, electro, classical etc. But most of my favorites include at least some bit of rock. It also depends on the mood.

Some of my favorite non-metal songs also include various videogame and movie music, but not enough to qualify it as a genre.

I'd say rap, hip hop and country are probably the styles I like the least, but a country-influenced rock song can be really good once in a while.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:09 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
DeadKid wrote:
I figure there's also an overlap with dark ambient such as In Slaughter Natives and all the early experimental electronic/musique concrète I've explored

It's weird, they're historically related, and yet to me, generally so very far apart. I love dark ambient such as Raison d'Etre, Thomas Koner, Atrium Carceri, Lustmord, Troum, Gustaf Hildebrand, Yen Pox, Herbst9, Apocryphos and such, but I've never been able to wrap my head around the more pure industrial or noise material.

I enjoy some industrial that's a little bit dark ambient, some dark ambient that's a little bit industrial, some music that's half and half, and some that's entirely one or the other, so it's sort of a continuous spectrum for me. I wouldn't really know where to make the separation.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:32 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
I don't think I have a favorite style beyond metal and rock. I do like the occasional artist or song from other genres, whether it's alternative, punk, blues, jazz, pop, electro, classical etc. But most of my favorites include at least some bit of rock. It also depends on the mood.

Pretty much in the same boat as you !

The only real outlier I'd have is trad folk - not American (or the Irish, American-style) country stuff - I've been getting into both modern bands doing the various styles (Hagathorn, Trials of Cato), and bands doing renditions of actually 'traditional' folk songs (older bands like Fairport Convention are great for this). There's something about being told a story in that way that just clicks really well with me. Plus, the slower numbers tend to manage some really interesting instrumentation. Season of Mist put out a compilation of metal bands doing folk / folk inspired pieces from their various traditions, it's really very good (One and All, Together, for Home). I like some 'neo-folk' stuff too, but am miles pickier due to the utter abominations that lurk in that scene (similar to Black Metal in that regard). Someone like Prag 83 or early Lux Interna is a good example of the stuff I like from that genre.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:18 am 

I definitely listen mostly to metal but outside of that my taste is pretty broad. What I listen to most shifts however so an answer today might not correlate to an answer I give in a few months. As of today my choices are:

(Orchestral) film scores:
I've always loved them. One of my first two albums I bought were a film score and I've revisited the genre regularly since then. I love to listen to this kind of music in general but it also works great when I read. Especially when I'm out and about and need to block out the world around to concentrate on my book. The important factor here is that the music has no lyrics, which scores seldom have. My second choice of music for this purpose is meditative black metal (which usually have lyrics but unintelligible so it doesn't hinder the reading). My latest discover has been Wojciech Kilar. I always liked his work in Bram Stokers Dracula but just recently discovered A Portrait of a Lady. Amazing stuff!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9RfErql2W04[/youtube]

Swedish punk:
As summer draws near I always listen more to this type of melodic punk. Usually the stuff that was popular during the 90's big Swedish wave. It's just music that fits very well with summer in general. It's easy, melodic, catchy and fun. This is Dia Psalmas classic Gryningstid:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/dKYutWSyiQ8[/youtube]

Other genres I frequent are pop (of course), jazz, electronic, folk, neofolk, classical, country, Spanish guitar/flamenco, "funeral pop" and probably a few others which I've forgotten.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:01 pm 

Just two is tough, but for me Punk and 80s Pop.

Punk - bands like DK, 999, Richard Hell, the Exploited, Fear and so many others.

Pop - Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran, the Motels, Swing out Sister, Expose and many, many others.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:38 pm 

Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity gets my vote for the really out there free-jazz style.

This one was definitely tying my fucking brain in knots. Cool shit. Will have to explore more of his work.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity gets my vote for the really out there free-jazz style.

This one was definitely tying my fucking brain in knots. Cool shit. Will have to explore more of his work.

Haha Albert Ayler gave no fuckz :-D He was Ornette Coleman 2.0
I'm glad you liked.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:15 pm 

Question is more like what don't I listen to. Listening to extreme metal and being raised with 2 cultures made me pretty open minded. Not that this is an good thing automatically though. Its not about what you don't listen to but what you do listen to.

Anyway I guess aside the usual metalhead approved genres like post punk, neofolk, post rock, all those forms hardcore and punk, space/kraut/noise, psych/prog rock etc etc. I listen to a lot of traditional music from across the world but mostly middle eastern stuff. I listen to various forms of electronica too mostly dnb/jungle, the harder side of techno and breakcore but i dabble in other genres too. Hiphop wise i almost only listen to the industrial side of things like Dälek and such. I enjoy the various forms of noise and drone too but i'm not in the mood for it often but I try to go see such acts live.

I guess in terms of recent developments i've been spending some time with dub lately, not very deep into it yet but its cool. I don't care about reggae or ska though. Other than that I can't think of anything thats new to me but i do keep digging into genres i already like be it death metal be it afrobeat.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:38 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Question is more like what don't I listen to. Listening to extreme metal and being raised with 2 cultures made me pretty open minded. Not that this is an good thing automatically though. Its not about what you don't listen to but what you do listen to.

That could almost be a thread of its own, though I'd want to have a more constructive spin on it, maybe what areas you struggle to find favorites in. I've spent a lot of time checking out all different kinds of music, but there are definitely genres that favorites seem fewer and more far between in - free jazz, noise, purer industrial, indie rock, standard country, post 2010-hip-hop, to name a few. I have a handful of artists that I've found related to those scenes, but it's tougher going for me in exploration.

tomcat_ha wrote:
I listen to a lot of traditional music from across the world but mostly middle eastern stuff.

I'm really into a lot of Arabic folk jazz. Artists like Anouar Brahem, Dhafer Youssef, Azmari, Ahmed Abdul-Malik, Rabih Abou-Khalil, etc. Also, lots of Hindustani Indian classical.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:47 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
I listen to a lot of traditional music from across the world but mostly middle eastern stuff.

I'm really into a lot of Arabic folk jazz. Artists like Anouar Brahem, Dhafer Youssef, Azmari, Ahmed Abdul-Malik, Rabih Abou-Khalil, etc. Also, lots of Hindustani Indian classical.

Cool! I always appreciates the atmosphere in, what to my ears sound like, middle eastern traditional music (though I know very little about it). I've been meaning to explore it more though. I will check out some of your fusion artists mentioned.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:28 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

That could almost be a thread of its own, though I'd want to have a more constructive spin on it, maybe what areas you struggle to find favorites in. I've spent a lot of time checking out all different kinds of music, but there are definitely genres that favorites seem fewer and more far between in - free jazz, noise, purer industrial, indie rock, standard country, post 2010-hip-hop, to name a few. I have a handful of artists that I've found related to those scenes, but it's tougher going for me in exploration.

I think most genres have less space for different bands than metal. Just think of how much diversity there is in death metal alone. There is a lot possible within the death metal realm. If i compare it to some of my other genres there just isn't as much space. That doesnt make these genres worse, heck i love crust for example and the scope of that genre is pretty limited. Its just what it is.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

yeah good stuff, Rabih is prob my fave of those.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

I think most genres have less space for different bands than metal. Just think of how much diversity there is in death metal alone. There is a lot possible within the death metal realm. If i compare it to some of my other genres there just isn't as much space. That doesnt make these genres worse, heck i love crust for example and the scope of that genre is pretty limited. Its just what it is.

Oh, I don't know about that. I think most styles have this telescoping/microscoping quality to them. If you don't know much about a genre, on the surface a lot of it can seem similar. But then you start to explore and find out it's much broader than you realized. Then you start to connect the dots and notice things in common between even some of the more disparate bands. Then you explore even further and find music in the genre that you didn't even realize was possible. But you can still evaluate granular levels of detail and distill certain essences of the genre down as particular traits. And then you explore even more...and so on. This has happened many times with electronic music and jazz for me, for example, probably the two genres I've spent the most time listening to and studying.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:29 am 

The other big genre I like besides metal and rock is Hip Hop/Rap.

I really like the idea of lyrical flow and sampling which is what Hip Hop is all about. I mainly listen to the classics like 2Pac, Biggy, NWA, Wu-Tang, etc. but even the newer "dawgz" like Run the Jewels, Brockhampton, Kanye, Jpegmafia, Death Grips the late MfDoom and others prove that the game is alive and kicking. Also the Russian hip hop scene kicks major laser Christ nipple twisting ass!

I think that metal and hip hop share a lot of things. The extreme melodies and themes they cover, the political aspect, the notoriously fanatic - and sometimes - edgy fanbases and the fact that they treat production as a big tool and NOT as a mere way to make the album sound "cleaner".

The other genre(s) I fancy is hardcore techno variants (hardstyle, gabber etc.) The intense beats and amazing energy is the perfect way to get wasted! Along with psy trance of course which is just music on drugs.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:12 am 

PETERG wrote:
The other big genre I like besides metal and rock is Hip Hop/Rap.

I really like the idea of lyrical flow and sampling which is what Hip Hop is all about. I mainly listen to the classics like 2Pac, Biggy, NWA, Wu-Tang, etc. but even the newer "dawgz" like Run the Jewels, Brockhampton, Kanye, Jpegmafia, Death Grips the late MfDoom and others prove that the game is alive and kicking. Also the Russian hip hop scene kicks major laser Christ nipple twisting ass!

I think that metal and hip hop share a lot of things. The extreme melodies and themes they cover, the political aspect, the notoriously fanatic - and sometimes - edgy fanbases and the fact that they treat production as a big tool and NOT as a mere way to make the album sound "cleaner".

The other genre(s) I fancy is hardcore techno variants (hardstyle, gabber etc.) The intense beats and amazing energy is the perfect way to get wasted! Along with psy trance of course which is just music on drugs.

Nice. I'm glad JPEGMAFIA is getting some love. I like RtJ, Brockhampton and Death Grips too. I'm also really curious about what Kanye's doing with Donda but if it's more spiritual bait a la Jesus Is King then fuck 'im.

But back to Peggy, his double album Black Ben Carson is the finest edgy outfit a rapper has ever put on this side of the post-Eminem years. When I first heard "ALL CAPS NO SPACES", I burst out laughing and then I played it over and over and over again until I got sick on it.
The lyrics and his delivery was just so awesome haha.

Spoiler: show

Heard you like Pantera
Bitch, not me!
Heard you like Burzum
Bitch, not me!
Heard you bumpin' Rolling Stones
Pussy nigga, please!
You play that shit around me
I'ma put your ass to sleep
You fucking fascist creep
I'm neo-Nazi chic
Got guns under arms and I'm aiming at elites
I heard you fucking metalheads looking for some beats
I wish Varg would come to B'more, we gon' see
Fucker

I can quote this shit cause I'm black :-P

There was a bit of uproar about him using a sample of a cop being killed for the intro of "I Just Killed A Cop Now I'm Horny", which when you go deeper into what he's presenting, there is a broader and interesting socio-political conversation to be had there.

Spoiler: show

It is disturbing to listen to but I like being disturbed. I could go on about Peggy because I truly think he is one of the freshest sounding voices in Hip hop today. I dig his underground aesthetic, his intense and workmanlike production and how he explores themes of inclusion and individuality. I also adore the fact that he wears dresses and subverts Hip hop's cultural ideas surrounding masculinity and I share his disdain for Drake.

Danny Brown, Denzel Curry and Pink Siifu are others that are sorta in the same lane but doing their own thing that I am equally crazy about.

iwanruby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:11 pm 

Pop and Folk, because I think that genre fits perfectly with my activities these past few years! In this year I've been in and out of rural suburbs and also some people who are often around me also consume that type of music! so the influence of the environment is very influential on a taste including music!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:49 am 

iwanruby wrote:
Pop and Folk, because I think that genre fits perfectly with my activities these past few years! In this year I've been in and out of rural suburbs and also some people who are often around me also consume that type of music! so the influence of the environment is very influential on a taste including music!

I do not know if they are considered folk but Dead can Dance are one of my favorite bands. I used to blast them with my dad when I was younger, especially their albums "A passage of Time" and "Within the realm of the dying sun".

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

An Ferbasach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 am 

Soul and Hip-hop for me.

Rock and metal probably take up 90% of my listening time, so I don't have a deep well of artists that I listen to in those genres. It's mostly big names like; Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield for soul, and for hip-hop; Wu-Tang Clan (including solo albums), A Tribe Called Quest, Danny Brown, Run the Jewels.

I find my tastes for these genres is far more picky. I either love an album or it does nothing for me and I'll never listen to it again.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 am 

An Ferbasach wrote:
Stevie Wonder...Wu-Tang Clan (including solo albums), A Tribe Called Quest

These are nearly unbeatable.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:20 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
[

Oh, I don't know about that. I think most styles have this telescoping/microscoping quality to them. If you don't know much about a genre, on the surface a lot of it can seem similar. But then you start to explore and find out it's much broader than you realized. Then you start to connect the dots and notice things in common between even some of the more disparate bands. Then you explore even further and find music in the genre that you didn't even realize was possible. But you can still evaluate granular levels of detail and distill certain essences of the genre down as particular traits. And then you explore even more...and so on. This has happened many times with electronic music and jazz for me, for example, probably the two genres I've spent the most time listening to and studying.

Well I think I have more than a passing knowledge for most of the other genres I'm into and I just don't notice this effect as much as with metal. Again though this is not a negative trait of a genre. It's like there are only so many ways to make an axe while theres a lot more possible with the knife to long sword spectrum.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:26 pm 

I was into electronica, "big beat" bands back in 1997 - groups like the Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim, the Prodigy, Underworld. That whole era was just fascinating and fresh. I don't follow it anymore but I still revisit the songs from that era from time to time.

I still consider new wave/punk rock/post punk/synth pop as part of rock music. But if you don't consider them that then I'm a heavy listener of this genre. Bands like Depeche Mode, the Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Smiths, the Sisters of Mercy, A Flock of Seagulls.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm 

Blues/soul and classical.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:45 pm 

Classical and Jazz although I'm not very well versed in Jazz at all and could use some recommendations... I like the "cool jazz" style the most. I recently went through a bit of a Vivaldi phase, he really knew how to shred those classical string instruments :headbang: I enjoy a lot of the usual darker classical stuff over the more happy "frolicy" stuff. I can also rap pretty much the entire first albums by both Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg of the top of my head, even though I haven't really listened to them in 20+ years. I actually hate rap though, especially anything later than like when Tupac was still around.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Classical and Jazz although I'm not very well versed in Jazz at all and could use some recommendations... I like the "cool jazz" style the most.

A few of my favorite cool jazz releases are:

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads - I normally prefer his livelier or more introspective output, but this is one of his more relaxing albums.

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead - doesn't get quite as much attention as a lot of his other releases, but this one's really worthwhile with a larger ensemble.

Oscar Peterson - Night Train - mindblowing piano playing, certainly a must hear.

Phil Woods - Rights of Swing - one of the best saxophonists there was in jazz, but too often overlooked.

Vagif Mustafa Zadeh - Jazz Compositions '79 - a really unique album, with a dash of the traditional Azerbaijani mugam fusion that he pioneered. B.B. King reportedly said "people call me the king of the blues, but if they heard him, they'd call him "god". Dizzy Gillespie supposedly said his music was "the future of jazz", which unfortunately didn't come to pass.

Bill Evans/Monica Zetterlund - Waltz For Debbie - a bit of a changeup for a vocal version of this sound from a great Swedish singer.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 am 

^Thanks! I will start checking some of these out :beer:

Also saw people mention Leonard Cohen, and I agree that he was the man. I immediately loved his 2 tracks on Natural Born Killers back in the day when I was like 11, and then dug deeper into his music. I love all his sad, soothing songs like Avalanche, Famous Blue Raincoat, The Future, Waiting for the Miracle etc. His lyrics are just sooo good too "that's poetry". One of my friends saw him in concert only like a year or 2 before he died and said it was the best show he ever saw. He said it went on for like 3 hours and Leonard was already on his last leg, what a badass.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:04 am 

I really enjoy jazz and this is probably the genre that I listen to the most after metal and rock. I’m a fan of the greats like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus and Thelonious Monk but I’m also very fond of jazz fusion such as Miles’ fusion stuff, Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Billy Cobham and Weather Report. In terms of more contemporary stuff, I’m a big fan of the jazz scene here in London especially artists like Sons of Kemet, Nubya Garcia, Moses Boyd and Ezra Collective. Kamasi Washington has done some great stuff in the last few years too.

More recently, I’ve started to appreciate electronic music a lot more than I used to including pioneers like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream as well as contemporary acts such as Floating Points, I Break Horses, M83 and Public Service Broadcasting. I tend to prefer synth-pop and stuff that’s closer to ambient or dream pop rather than anything too “dancey”.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next