Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheEtreum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:20 pm 

What was your favorite movie of 2021 metallers?

Spoiler: show
Always remember that metal stands for love, peace and democracy.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm 

No contest at all for me, New York Ninja is my favorite movie of the year by a long shot. A guy named John Liu shot a movie back in 1984, but for some reason it remained unfinished until 2021, when Vinegar Syndrome found the unedited original footage. There was no script and no sound, so they've edited it into their own thing and hired a cast to dub it. And this is topped off by a godly soundtrack by Voyag3r. For fans of Samurai Cop, Miami Connection, Deadly Prey etc.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:44 pm 

The Green Knight.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:45 am 

The Green Knight

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:40 am 

I didn't watch a lot of good movies, so I honestly gotta say the new Spider Man one

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:59 am 

I probably watched like six or seven new movies all year but the recent Peter Jackson Beatles documentary was the one I enjoyed the most. If that doesn't count, then probably Dune. I also just saw the new Joel Coen Macbeth, which kicked ass.

Worst by a mile goes to Matrix: Resurrections. If the script for that movie had leaked in advance, there's no way in hell I'd've believed it was legit. Unbelievable trash.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:15 am 

Since 2021 has been more about TV for me, I have to give my nod to Moxie by default. I think it was the only new release in 2021 that I watched, and it was very enjoyable.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 am 

Dune beats out The Green Knight by a hair.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:47 pm 

Pig - Erudite, quiet, profound drama. A movie for the times.
The Green Knight - A surreal wild fantastical masterpiece; I really found a lot of depth to it.
The Nowhere Inn - Sort of a weird Lynchean screed, though more upbeat and easy to decipher. Funny and quirky.
Agnes - Masterful meditation on faith and humanity.
The Power of the Dog - Subtle and seething drama about passion and repression.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:31 pm 

Oxygen is basically the only one I've seen. I liked it, but it seemed like a waste having such a simple plot paired with complex technology. I found myself thinking of several ways to improve the film.

I also saw Adieu Les Cons at the theatre as it was released here in 2021, but ultimately it's a 2020 film. Not bad though. I don't rush to watch current films as I'm usually underwhelmed.

TheEtreum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:46 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
Oxygen is basically the only one I've seen. I liked it, but it seemed like a waste having such a simple plot paired with complex technology. I found myself thinking of several ways to improve the film.

I have Oxygen among my favorites. Short list this year:

Titane 7/10
Oxygène 6/10
Lamb 6/10
Wolf 6/10
Nitram 6/10
Silent Night 6/10

My guilty pleasure:

The Tomorrow War 1/10

Always remember that metal stands for love, peace and democracy.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 am 

Belfast. Nothing else even came close.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am 

Razakel wrote:
I probably watched like six or seven new movies all year but the recent Peter Jackson Beatles documentary was the one I enjoyed the most. If that doesn't count, then probably Dune. I also just saw the new Joel Coen Macbeth, which kicked ass.

Worst by a mile goes to Matrix: Resurrections. If the script for that movie had leaked in advance, there's no way in hell I'd've believed it was legit. Unbelievable trash.

My buddy and I are huge Beatles fans and we watched the first hour or so of that documentary and it was brutal. It needed serious trimming. Listening to them discuss the scaffolding and where they were gonna play the "Get Back" concert was so mind numbingly boring we ended up turning it off.

On the other hand I'm really enjoying the McCartney 3,2,1 series.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:37 am 

I was more or less absorbed right away, though the first part is I guess the dryest of the three. You should really sit down with it again for another shot. It gets better.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:03 pm 

This is my list of the twenty best movies of the year:

1. Spencer

2. No Time to Die

3. The Little Things

4. The Protégé

5. Nuo Fo / Raging Fire

6. Reminiscence

7. Snake Eyes

8. Cry Macho

9. Godzilla vs. Kong

10. Free Guy

11. Copshop

12. Dune

13. Malignant

14. Cruella

15. Eternals

16. The Ice Road

17. Red Notice

18. Jungle Cruise

19. The Many Saints of Newark

20. Yang Ming Li Wan / Be Somebody

Overall an average year in terms of cinematic quality but this is already satisfactory in times like these.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:47 pm 

Dune. I really like the book. The film was actually pretty good. I disagreed with a lot of design decisions, and edits. But it was refreshing, to see something at the theater, that wasn’t garbage. I didn’t see any other new releases, in 2021.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:04 am 

I haven't watched much in the way of new films this year. I bought a 4k blu-ray player recently and most of my time in this category has been spent re-watching old favorites in Ultra-HD. That being said a few I did see:

"Halloween Kills" : Some fun setpieces here and there, mostly involving the brutal and gory kills. But the dodgey pacing, often cringey dialogue and stupefying character decisions made this something of a bitter pill for me. Good if you're ever in the mood for not much more than Michael Myers mayhem, but overall not even close to the level of the original, hell not even to the 2018 movie or some of the other sequels.

"Antlers" : Well-acted and atmospheric monster movie that doubles primarily as a grim drama addressing domestic abuse, even that of children. Even the ending works on two levels, implying
"uh-oh, the monster still ain't dead!" and "the cycle of violence still continues".
Cool and often disturbing makeup / creature FX round out this dreary but rock-solid horror flick.

"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" : A fun movie overall. The plot has typical clichés involving magic, destiny, family gone evil etc, but the really fun action setpieces and genuinely striking and beautiful visual FX make more than worthwhile. Throw in a cast of likeable characters and you have one of the genuine and worthwhile Marvel movies in a while.

"Malignant" : Starts off a bit too serious and mean-spirited for its own good with some domestic abuse, but by the time the credits roll, tears of joy ought to be rolling down your cheeks. This is one of the most batshit horror movies to be given a major release in a LONG time. If a sequence that I can only describe as "John Wick" meets a Frank Henelotter film doesn't sound appealing to you, then there's no hope to love the hell out of this goofy-ass thing.

"Godzilla vs Kong" : While it isn't the (objectively) best movie I've seen this year, it's far and away my favorite. I've been a fan of both characters, Godzilla in particular, since I was a wee lad, and this movie was the most fun I had in theaters since I saw "Mad Max: Fury Road". Does it run on dubious at best logic and is full of kaiju-sized plotholes? Yes. But does it also have King Kong decapitating Mechagodzilla and Godzilla drilling to the center of the fucking Earth using his atomic breath? Yes. Yes it does. Eleventy bajillion out of ten.

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:55 am 

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:03 pm 

Only got around to seeing one new film this year, and that was Dune. That was excellent though!

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 am 

My favs movies/series were:

-Arcane
-The Green Knight
-Midnight Mass
-Squid Game
-Invincible
-Dune

Also finally caught up with The Expanse and The Boys, both magnificent series.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm 

The Green Knight by far. Absolutely stunning with a feel I might describe only as "pagan".

Dune is a close second as a spectacle and joy for the eyes.

Reply to topic