Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:20 pm 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Florida Panthers (1) vs. Washington Capitals (2nd Western Conference Wild Card)
The Florida Panthers won the Presidents' Trophy for the very first time in franchise history in 2021-22. The franchise has not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 1996, when they went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, losing to Colorado in four straight. This is the year Florida is finally expected to advance in the playoffs again. They face the Washington Capitals in the first round. Washington won their only Stanley Cup in 2018, and have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since then. This marks the first time the Panthers and Capitals meet in the playoffs.
Prediction: Florida in five games.

Carolina Hurricanes (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Boston Bruins (1st Eastern Conference Wild Card)
In the last few seasons, the Carolina Hurricanes have improved to become very legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. The Hurricanes finished with the third best record in the NHL during the regular season. However, they face the Boston Bruins, a team who has the number of the Hurricanes in the playoffs. The Hurricanes and Bruins last met in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2020, when the Bruins defeated the Hurricanes four games to one in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. In 2019, the Bruins swept the Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Final. Boston is expecting David Pastrnak, who scored 40 goals during the regular season, to lead the team in the offense department. Carolina won all three games they played against the Bruins during the regular season.
Prediction: Carolina in six games.

Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (3rd in Atlantic Division)
In 2021, the Tampa Bay Lightning became the first NHL team to win back-to-back Stanley Cups since the Pittsburgh Penguins did it in 2015-16 and 2016-17. Now, the Lightning aim to be the first team to win three in a row since the New York Islanders won four straight from 1980 to 1983. Toronto is a team that has not had much luck in the playoffs. They have the longest Stanley Cup drought in history, not having won since 1967, and not even having made any appearances in the Stanley Cup Final since then. They last won a playoff series in 2004. Tampa Bay have the upper hand in playoff experience by a landslide.
Prediction: Tampa Bay in four games.

New York Rangers (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
The New York Rangers had their best regular season in years in 2021-22. Many people believe that this Rangers team is the most stacked since they won the Stanley Cup in 1994. (The Rangers did make one appearance in the Stanley Cup Final since then, in 2014, when they lost to the Los Angeles Kings in five games.) They have a great balance of offense and defense. They face the Pittsburgh Penguins in the opening round. The Penguins had another strong regular season, but they have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 2018. Pittsburgh does have a very strong goaltender in Casey DeSmith, but Igor Shesterkin is the favorite to win the Vezina Trophy this season. While Pittsburgh does have the upper hand in the experience department, New York just has the more well rounded team overall.
Prediction: New York in six games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Colorado Avalanche (1st in Central Division) vs. Nashville Predators (2nd Western Conference Wild Card)
The Colorado Avalanche finished the 2021-22 regular season at the top of the Central Division and the top of the Western Conference. However, they will face the Nashville Predators in the opening round, a team who has had a lot of luck against Colorado in the past. During their sole previous playoff meeting in 2017-18, Nashville defeated Colorado. In the regular season, Nashville were the only team to beat Colorado three times, winning three of the four regular season meetings. However, Juuse Saros, Nashville's goaltender, is injured, which is a big blow to Nashville.
Prediction: Colorado in five games.

Calgary Flames (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Dallas Stars (1st Western Conference Wild Card)
The Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars both rebounded from disappointing 2020-21 seasons where they finished out of the playoffs and find themselves back in the postseason. The two teams have met in the playoffs twice. The first time was in 1980-81, when Dallas were still located in Minnesota and known as the Minnesota North Stars; Minnesota defeated Calgary in the third round of the playoffs. In 2019-20, Dallas defeated Calgary in the Western Conference Quarterfinals. Calgary hopes the third time is the charm, and they have home ice advantage. In the 2021-22 regular season, Calgary won two of the three regular season meetings.
Prediction: Calgary in six games.

Minnesota Wild (2nd in Central Division) vs. St. Louis Blues (3rd in Central Division)
The Minnesota Wild finished the 2021-22 regular season with the best record in franchise history. Late in the season, the team acquired goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury from the Chicago Blackhawks. Fleury has won three Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins, so his playoff experience should be a huge boost. The Wild have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 2014. The St. Louis Blues have won one Stanley Cup in franchise history, winning in 2019. Many core pieces of that Cup winning team remain for the Blues. This looks to be one of the tightest first round matchups.
Prediction: Minnesota in seven games.

Edmonton Oilers (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Los Angeles Kings (3rd in Pacific Division)
The Los Angeles Kings surprised everyone in 2021-22 by making the playoffs for the first time in four years. Edmonton is a team built on offense, being led by Art Ross Trophy winner Connor McDavid. Los Angeles, with goaltender Jonathan Quick (who led the Kings to the Stanley Cup in 2012 and 2014), has the upper hand in the goaltending department, however. This marks the first time that the Oilers and Kings meet in the playoffs since 1991-92, when Edmonton defeated Los Angeles four games to two in the Smythe Division Semifinals. The two teams have met seven times in the playoffs in the past. Edmonton has won five of the seven meetings (1985, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992), and Los Angeles have won two (1982, 1989).
Prediction: Edmonton in seven games.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:47 pm 

These are my predictions for the first round of the 2022 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs in the National Hockey League.

Florida Panthers (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. Washington Capitals (2nd Western Conference Wild Card): Florida Panthers in five games
Carolina Hurricanes (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Boston Bruins (1st Eastern Conference Wild Card): Carolina Hurricanes in six games
Toronto Maple Leafs (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (3rd in Atlantic Division): Tampa Bay Lightning in seven games
New York Rangers (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (3rd in Metropolitan Division): Pittsburgh Penguins in six games

Colorado Avalanche (1st in Central Division) vs. Nashville Predators (2nd Western Conference Wild Card): Colorado Avalanche in five games
Calgary Flames (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Dallas Stars (1st Western Conference Wild Card): Calgary Flames in five games
Minnesota Wild (2nd in Central Division) vs. St. Louis Blues (3rd in Central Division): St. Louis Blues in six games
Edmonton Oilers (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. Los Angeles Kings (3rd in Pacific Division): Los Angeles Kings in seven games

Here are a few thoughts. Since none of my two favourite teams have made the playoffs, I can watch all games as neutral spectator. I have no favourites whatsoever. The Florida Panthers has been exceptional all season with excellent goaltending, solid defense and especially powerful attacking play that should be enough to comfortably beat the Washington Capitals that is on a slow downward spiral. The Carolina Hurricanes will benefit from its excellent coaching staff and fresh enthusiasm around the team against the Boston Bruins that is going through changes and still lacking consistency. The Tampa Bay Lightning has been champions twice in a row and should never be underestimated while the Toronto Maple Leafs has an infamous history of losing in the first round of the playoffs and the longest draught in the entire league which makes me favour the former over the latter in seven tight games. The experience of the veterans on the Pittsburgh Penguins might pay off in the playoffs against a dynamic New York Rangers that still has't entirely completed its onging reconstruction.

In the Western Conference, the Colorado Avalanche is overdue for an extended playoff run and has a much more balanced team than the Nashville Predators that is on a downward spiral. The Calgary Flames has constantly been getting better throughout the past few seasons while the Dallas Stars couldn't equal its Stanley Cup finals appearance two seasons ago and won't be able to survive for long. The St. Louis Blues has a great squad with experienced veterans, including several reliable Stanley Cup winners which should pay off against the dynamic but less experienced and much overrated Minnesota Wild. Finally, the Los Angeles Kings has been surprising all season long and can play without any pressure and expectations while the Edmonton Oilers could crack under the weight of its expected potential and the stress of an unreliable season with numerous ups and downs.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am 

I hate the Bruins with a passion.

My prediction is my hate will help the Hurricanes demolish the Bruins.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:23 pm 

My bracket:

FLA - WSH: Florida in 6 games. I'm a veteran Cats fan so this year I'm hyperventilating through June.
TOR - TBL: Tampa in 7 games. I have a feeling this one will go right to the wire and TBL will turn it around with experience.
CAR - BOS: Carolina in 6 games. Both have deep rosters and Boston will turn a few wins just by being almost as good.
NYR - PIT: Rangers in 5 games. I have strange confidence towards NYR, I have them going all the way to conference finals.

COL - NSH: Colorado in 5 games. If Saros is out for the series, that's goodbye for Nashville. Josi will beast them a single victory.
MIN - STL: St. Louis in 6 games. This one could go either way but I feel like the Blues have just a tad deeper, more talented team to ice, and I believe in Husso.
CGY - DAL: Calgary in 5 games. Honestly, might be a sweep. I rarely predict it though so one complimentary W for Dallas.
EDM - LAK: Edmonton in 7 games. I would love for the Kings to win, but I have a sinking feeling their already crippled nucleus can't support all the youth and EDM will run them over with just McDrai.

I'll throw in my predictions all the way as a bonus.
FLA - TBL --> FLA advances
CAR - NYR --> NYR advances
COL - STL --> STL advances
CGY - EDM - CGY advances

FLA - NYR
CGY - STL

And the SC finals I have, with a healthy dose of homerism, FLA versus CGY and the Panthers winning the god damn cup.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm 

I'm going to root for the Minnesota Wild, because they wear green, and my regular teams didn't make it.

I realize that the Dallas Stars wear green as well, but they are from Dallas.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:09 pm 

^anti Texas is something I can definitely get behind.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
My bracket:

FLA - WSH: Florida in 6 games. I'm a veteran Cats fan so this year I'm hyperventilating through June.
TOR - TBL: Tampa in 7 games. I have a feeling this one will go right to the wire and TBL will turn it around with experience.
CAR - BOS: Carolina in 6 games. Both have deep rosters and Boston will turn a few wins just by being almost as good.
NYR - PIT: Rangers in 5 games. I have strange confidence towards NYR, I have them going all the way to conference finals.

COL - NSH: Colorado in 5 games. If Saros is out for the series, that's goodbye for Nashville. Josi will beast them a single victory.
MIN - STL: St. Louis in 6 games. This one could go either way but I feel like the Blues have just a tad deeper, more talented team to ice, and I believe in Husso.
CGY - DAL: Calgary in 5 games. Honestly, might be a sweep. I rarely predict it though so one complimentary W for Dallas.
EDM - LAK: Edmonton in 7 games. I would love for the Kings to win, but I have a sinking feeling their already crippled nucleus can't support all the youth and EDM will run them over with just McDrai.

I'll throw in my predictions all the way as a bonus.
FLA - TBL --> FLA advances
CAR - NYR --> NYR advances
COL - STL --> STL advances
CGY - EDM - CGY advances

FLA - NYR
CGY - STL

And the SC finals I have, with a healthy dose of homerism, FLA versus CGY and the Panthers winning the god damn cup.

So far my first round predictions have gone better than ever. 6 out of 8 are already right, the last two still have the chance to go right. 4 predictions had the exact amount of games right as well.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:13 am 

I had seven of eight right in the opening round, but was right on none in how many games it would be in.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:26 pm 

I was right on six out of eight predictions and had the exact prediction in two cases. These results are much better for me than they have usually been in the past XD

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Reply to topic