* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:29 am 

thereflectingskin wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I think I implied that HNW is uniformly bad and everybody who likes it is pretending, which isn't actually what I meant lol. I meant you don't listen to it the same way you listen to basically anything else. With pop you can focus on hooks, with metal you can focus on riffs, even with super intense grind or powerviolence you can latch on to the sheer intensity. HNW doesn't lend itself to any of that. Hell even ambient, a genre you're kinda meant to listen to passively and let it wash over you, is at least oftentimes calming. I didn't mean HNW sucks, I just meant that it isn't the type of music you throw on when you want to have a good time, and I can't imagine hearing a wall of static noise and saying "Oh shit this is one of my favorites" and cranking it up in the car ya know?

I'd love to be proven wrong though! HNW hasn't historically been for me, but I don't think it's implicitly bad or anything, just not something you'd throw on at a party or something, lol.

Ah, I see more where you're coming from now! I think you'd still be surprised though. Particularly back when I was more into noise and experimental stuff in general, it would occupy similar listening roles as more conventional stuff. For instance, I love listening to it in the car, especially if the car has decent speakers.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm not sure "pleasure" is the right word, but I suspect the reasons people listen to harsh noise are more to be challenged, to experience novelty, seeking endorphin release, etc. Kind of like eating spicy food or even BDSM. Sort of a masochism that generates its own reward, or makes other adjacent gratifications more intense. But there are levels to it, where maybe death metal is like a habanero, but harsh noise is more like a ghost pepper, which is too much for many (including me).

BastardHead wrote:
I suppose harsh noise stuff also qualifies but I'm convinced that nobody actually listens to it for pleasure. I can see how somebody can respect or appreciate it for its intentional buttfucking of musical tradition and wanton boundary pushing, but nobody gears up for a road trip and tosses on Merzbow. If that stuff gives you joy to listen to, please donate your brain when you die so it can be studied.

I don't know, I used to be really into power electronics, drone and some harsh noise back in the day and I listened to it the same way I listened to any other music. It's a difficult group of genres though because imho there's no stuff in between. It either fucking sucks or it's bloody brilliant. It's also hard to categorize this music since a lot of this stuff is mixed up and/or overlaps. The same artist can play stuff that's closer to harsh noise, then record a dark techno album, some dark ambient stuff, and sometimes even mix everything together. Prurient usually does this.

Prurient and Theologian can be pretty cool. Not sure if I'd lump Yellow Swans into that group too, they are a bit more drone oriented. I heavily dislike Merzbow though.

The more ambient side of noise and drone can be great. Tim Hecker, Ben Frost, Roly Porter, etc. But maybe that's a different topic.

It's also usual to start with more melodic stuff and get progressively desensitized. The same way I'm desensitized to a lot of extreme metal and I seek bands that push the boundaries of their sound and go even further down the rabbit hole. You don't usually start listening to https://ironlungrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... -lungs-094 one day out of thin air, it's usually a process. These guys mix powerviolence with harsh noise and it's savage. Sometimes you just want strong emotions but it's really not that different from other extreme music.

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:04 pm 

My highest recommendation for harsh noise is Jason Crumer's Ottoman Black. Unfortunately only bits of it are on youtube right now.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't know, I used to be really into power electronics, drone and some harsh noise back in the day and I listened to it the same way I listened to any other music.

You're kind of an outlier though. You probably have one of the strongest preferences on the forum (and of people into music that I know even outside of here) for dissonant, harsh, noisy, and generally "ugly" music.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:54 pm 

Gravetemplar, thank you for the examples+descriptions and for sharing your experience - it was interesting to read it/listening to the tracks from the examples.

Gravetemplar wrote:
It's also usual to start with more melodic stuff and get progressively desensitized. The same way I'm desensitized to a lot of extreme metal and I seek bands that push the boundaries of their sound and go even further down the rabbit hole. You don't usually start listening to https://ironlungrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... -lungs-094 one day out of thin air, it's usually a process.

Yes, this is also important for mentioning here, plus I support you with the approach that this can work for getting into and listening to both extreme metal and extreme non-metal music/noise, and it can even intersect and influence each other - for example, I became more interested in and have been able to get into several albums with a bit more noisy and intense non-metal music after getting into a few black metal albums with a more lo-fi sound - such as the Paysage d'Hiver's self-titled (which sounded and was perceived more like a ''wall of sound'' at the first listening - which itself also felt interesting and beautiful in this particular case for me though, but the details and melodies became clearer and more recognizable + the listening process was much easier and enjoyable with each subsequent listening. And listening to this album multiple times have definitely made me a little bit less sensitive to intensity in music in general.) and Sortilegia's ''Arcane Death Ritual'' (at first, I could only fully enjoy non-metal tracks with ritualistic rhythms, but then I got into the whole album).

Spoiler: show
But I have to clarify - I feel that there are limits for me that can't be overcome and crossed, no matter how long and consistently I try. Harsh noise has too disturbing/unsettling sound and atmosphere, and components of tracks on harsh noise albums tend to change too suddenly/chaotically and often (and it makes the listening process too difficult and exhausting for me), - and all of this makes me feel way too anxious.
Plus, I think that another one of the biggest reasons why it's way too hard to get into harsh noise for me is that this kind of noise tends to have many too high-pitched sounds, while, as a doom metal fan, most of the music (both metal and non-metal) I listen to is in a lower part of the spectrum.
A similar situation with power electronics too, plus it's also too intense and aggressive/violent for me, plus tracks/albums in this subgenre tend to have harsh electro-distorted vocals/vocal samples - which always sound annoyingly and too harsh to my ears (in any track/song/album and in any genre).

There was a time when I tried to find something that I could get into in the "death industrial" subgenre - just because this description looked like something I could probably get into and enjoy:

Death Industrial is a music genre that can be described as having much of the same source sounds as power electronics, but used to create a deep atmospheric sound. It often features a more flowing rhythm and deeper, less abrasive sound than power electronics.

- and yes, it's a kind of sound I can really get into and enjoy, but the problem with this subgenre is that it tends to have albums with covers/song titles/lyrics that are too disturbing/absolutely unacceptable for me - so I've lost interest to this subgenre and stopped my futile attempts to find at least something that is (relatively) acceptable there, and now, when I want to listen to non-metal music/noise with this kind of low/deep sound I listen to certain dark ambient and drone albums (that have "normal" and acceptable themes and aesthetics), or certain tracks/songs from some other electronic subgenres that sound similar, or just find some YouTube "noise to fall asleep to" long track that has a lower sound.

That low-sounding track "We Can't All Be Victims" by Theologian from your examples is also something I can get into and enjoy based solely on how it sounds.

(Also, the tracks ''You Show Great Spirit'', ''Limited Space'' and ''Hatred of Music I'' are very beautiful and atmospheric, and quite 'easy listening' for me).

As another, more ambient-like, example - I like the sound of the atmospheric background on this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19PK1fitMpE
- it has a martial drum rhythm and even some vocals (that are not very clear/loud and are a bit drowning in the mix), which makes it closer to an ''actual'' song, but it won't change anything in the listening process/feel while listening to it for me if it was a track that has only that low-sounding ambience (i.e. without any components that are closer to real music).
Sometimes you just want to listen to a certain sound(s)/or something that is "non-emotional" and in those cases you really have no that need of any melody/riff/rhythm/vocals, etc...

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:54 pm 

I'll be honest, I started off as a industrial/extreme metal listener and only somewhat recently really got into the lighter stuff. It's been a process of resensitization haha.

Like, this was my first black metal song and I enjoyed it:

PinkSatan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:47 am 

For me it's Harsh Noise. I definitely see it as art and music, however I just get bored while listening. Same thing with Power Electronics, I am a sucker for melody in my songs most of the time.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:30 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't know, I used to be really into power electronics, drone and some harsh noise back in the day and I listened to it the same way I listened to any other music.

You're kind of an outlier though. You probably have one of the strongest preferences on the forum (and of people into music that I know even outside of here) for dissonant, harsh, noisy, and generally "ugly" music.

That's probably the best compliment I've received in some time. Thanks! (I mean it, this isn't a sarcastic comment).

sjal wrote:
Gravetemplar, thank you for the examples+descriptions and for sharing your experience - it was interesting to read it/listening to the tracks from the examples.

Gravetemplar wrote:
It's also usual to start with more melodic stuff and get progressively desensitized. The same way I'm desensitized to a lot of extreme metal and I seek bands that push the boundaries of their sound and go even further down the rabbit hole. You don't usually start listening to https://ironlungrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... -lungs-094 one day out of thin air, it's usually a process.

Yes, this is also important for mentioning here, plus I support you with the approach that this can work for getting into and listening to both extreme metal and extreme non-metal music/noise, and it can even intersect and influence each other - for example, I became more interested in and have been able to get into several albums with a bit more noisy and intense non-metal music after getting into a few black metal albums with a more lo-fi sound - such as the Paysage d'Hiver's self-titled (which sounded and was perceived more like a ''wall of sound'' at the first listening - which itself also felt interesting and beautiful in this particular case for me though, but the details and melodies became clearer and more recognizable + the listening process was much easier and enjoyable with each subsequent listening. And listening to this album multiple times have definitely made me a little bit less sensitive to intensity in music in general.) and Sortilegia's ''Arcane Death Ritual'' (at first, I could only fully enjoy non-metal tracks with ritualistic rhythms, but then I got into the whole album).

But I have to clarify - I feel that there are limits for me that can't be overcome and crossed, no matter how long and consistently I try. Harsh noise has too disturbing/unsettling sound and atmosphere, and components of tracks on harsh noise albums tend to change too suddenly/chaotically and often (and it makes the listening process too difficult and exhausting for me), - and all of this makes me feel way too anxious.
Plus, I think that another one of the biggest reasons why it's way too hard to get into harsh noise for me is that this kind of noise tends to have many too high-pitched sounds, while, as a doom metal fan, most of the music (both metal and non-metal) I listen to is in a lower part of the spectrum.
A similar situation with power electronics too, plus it's also too intense and aggressive/violent for me, plus tracks/albums in this subgenre tend to have harsh electro-distorted vocals/vocal samples - which always sound annoyingly and too harsh to my ears (in any track/song/album and in any genre).

There was a time when I tried to find something that I could get into in the "death industrial" subgenre - just because this description looked like something I could probably get into and enjoy:

Death Industrial is a music genre that can be described as having much of the same source sounds as power electronics, but used to create a deep atmospheric sound. It often features a more flowing rhythm and deeper, less abrasive sound than power electronics.

- and yes, it's a kind of sound I can really get into and enjoy, but the problem with this subgenre is that it tends to have albums with covers/song titles/lyrics that are too disturbing/absolutely unacceptable for me - so I've lost interest to this subgenre and stopped my futile attempts to find at least something that is (relatively) acceptable there, and now, when I want to listen to non-metal music/noise with this kind of low/deep sound I listen to certain dark ambient and drone albums (that have "normal" and acceptable themes and aesthetics), or certain tracks/songs from some other electronic subgenres that sound similar, or just find some YouTube "noise to fall asleep to" long track that has a lower sound.

That low-sounding track "We Can't All Be Victims" by Theologian from your examples is also something I can get into and enjoy based solely on how it sounds.

(Also, the tracks ''You Show Great Spirit'', ''Limited Space'' and ''Hatred of Music I'' are very beautiful and atmospheric, and quite 'easy listening' for me).

As another, more ambient-like, example - I like the sound of the atmospheric background on this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19PK1fitMpE
- it has a martial drum rhythm and even some vocals (that are not very clear/loud and are a bit drowning in the mix), which makes it closer to an ''actual'' song, but it won't change anything in the listening process/feel while listening to it for me if it was a track that has only that low-sounding ambience (i.e. without any components that are closer to real music).
Sometimes you just want to listen to a certain sound(s)/or something that is "non-emotional" and in those cases you really have no that need of any melody/riff/rhythm/vocals, etc...

I get what you're saying. To be honest the purest forms of harsh noise (Merzbow) tend to bore me to tears. I like the rhythmic and visceral approach of power electronics and death industrial a lot more.

I also tend to agree some of the subjects are a bit too silly, but this level of provocation and edginess goes back to Throbbing Gristle and is a part of the genre that is ingrained into it since the very beginning.

If you liked that Theologian song and based on some of the other stuff you say I recommend you to check this one too: https://annihilvspowerelectronix.bandca ... negativity The title is also kind of cool and somewhat related to the conversation: FINDING COMFORT IN OVERWHELMING NEGATIVITY.

I'm not the biggest fan but Pharmakon may also be worth checking solely because of how much people she got into death industrial and power electronics. There were a couple of years when she got a lot of media coverage. I saw her twice opening for Swans and it was ok.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:57 pm 

Gravetemplar, thank you for the recommendations. :)
And it was also interesting to read about your point of view and your perception/feel of music/noise in these subgenres.

(And sorry for the late reply. I wanted to listen to the album by Pharmakon more closely, but I wasn't able/in the mood for such emotional vocals earlier - so it took some time to finally listen to it in full).

I never heard of Pharmakon before. I find the music and atmosphere on the album ''Abandon'' interesting, and it also sounds like music/noise I can get into (i.e. is not too intense and high-pitched/harsh/abrasive for me), and also I really like the song "Pitted" with the clean vocals (and with that dark and heavy rhythm) - it reminded me that I really enjoyed the combination of clean female vocals and noisy drones (made by electric guitars) on the album "The Die Is Cast" by Menace Ruine. I always wanted to find something similar but never thought that one-woman/female-fronted projects/albums like these could be in death industrial/power electronics subgenres - from my previous bad experience, these subgenres have a tendency to be too disturbing and unacceptable for female listeners/artists (but I'm one of those people who usually find very difficult/impossible to separate music from imagery/lyrics, especially when it looks/is about something that is too disturbing), so I did not even hope to find something similar there.
That album cover from the album ''Abandon'' looked too strange at first, but I already found this explanation from the artist -
"The artwork was conceived and executed by me, and photographed by my sister Jane. The concept comes from a very real experience where I was throwing away most of my belongings and going through old ephemera, and I found an old love letter. When I opened it, there was a pressed flower that fell onto my lap, along with a bunch of writhing maggots.
They had been eating the flower. I had this sense of abandon and I just burned it all. I thought, "This isn't true anymore. I don't own this." And I just let it go.
"
- and after that it has become more understandable and acceptable for me (I find the concept interesting too).

I'm not sure if I can get into songs that have electro-distorted vocals, but I'll definitely give the album a try. And I'll check out other albums by Pharmakon as well.

---
And to add something else (from a different direction) to the thread, I remembered that this can also work in a different way/or in reverse and may have the opposite effect:
sjal wrote:
this can work for getting into and listening to both extreme metal and extreme non-metal music/noise, and it can even intersect and influence each other - for example, I became more interested in and have been able to get into several albums with a bit more noisy and intense non-metal music after getting into a few black metal albums with a more lo-fi sound

For example, before I started listening to more extreme subgenres of metal music, I was able to listen to songs where much more emotional vocals/"hysterical" screaming vocals were combined with much less extreme/intense/heavy and less emotional music (on various songs - from metal and from non-metal genres), but now I rarely listen to songs with these kinds of vocals outside of black metal and black/doom metal subgenres (mostly because very emotional vocals fit so perfectly with extreme/intense/heavy metal music (and complement each other) for me that they became to sound too strange and way too "out of place" on songs from soft(er)/less intense genres of music - https://youtu.be/_dJ-YnW8i7k?t=211).

ThatsMeatMansMeat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:15 am 

Rap, I've been trying to get into it, but after multiple attempts I just can't bring myself to not get bored quickly. I actually do have an interest in some artists (Devin The Dude, Redman, Gravediggaz), but I can't manage to explore the genre. Most of the genre is 80% vocals, and has basic instrumentals which is what kinda puts me off. I get this a large generalization, but that's been my main issue getting into it. Checking out newer artists has gotten some good results, but not much significant progress. I've had no issue getting into any other genre that's different from my main interests (Ambient, Blues, Jazz, Classical, R&B). I really do want to get into it, so hopefully I'll find that one artist/album that can manage to just pull me in, either that or I'll slowly acclimate.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:02 pm 

ThatsMeatMansMeat wrote:
Rap, I've been trying to get into it, but after multiple attempts I just can't bring myself to not get bored quickly. I actually do have an interest in some artists (Devin The Dude, Redman, Gravediggaz), but I can't manage to explore the genre. Most of the genre is 80% vocals, and has basic instrumentals which is what kinda puts me off. I get this a large generalization, but that's been my main issue getting into it. Checking out newer artists has gotten some good results, but not much significant progress. I've had no issue getting into any other genre that's different from my main interests (Ambient, Blues, Jazz, Classical, R&B). I really do want to get into it, so hopefully I'll find that one artist/album that can manage to just pull me in, either that or I'll slowly acclimate.

Have you tried Pusha T yet? I think his last two albums (DAYTONA and It's Almost Dry) are both classics, and my #1 albums of the year in 2018 and this year.

yung_souichi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:44 pm 

Anything wall noise.

So much of it is essentially interchangeable tbh.

Miss Amerikkka? Only parasites will

ThatsMeatMansMeat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:35 pm 

jimbies wrote:
ThatsMeatMansMeat wrote:

Have you tried Pusha T yet? I think his last two albums (DAYTONA and It's Almost Dry) are both classics, and my #1 albums of the year in 2018 and this year.

I've heard of him, but never gave him a listen, I'll do so later. Thanks for the recommendation :)

~Guest 1388265
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:44 am 

Honestly I never found industrial/noise to be that hard to get into. I was fascinated by it ever since I heard Brighter Death Now about fifteen years ago. The shit I found hardest to get into was avant-garde/progressive music like Ruins, Magma, Koenjihyakkei, etc.

If anyone is interested in PE/Harsh Noise and Ambient music, check these labels out:

Noise - https://deathbedtapes.bandcamp.com/
Ambient - https://janushoved.bandcamp.com/

Only labels you need for that kind of stuff.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:38 am 

I've just gone through this. I've been really digging into late-70's punk and post-punk. That's been my listening project for the latter part of 2022 and so far this year. To be honest, I have no clear idea what post-punk means. It seems a lot of what I considered to be early alternative and indie rock is considered post-punk. Not of great importance, but there it is. A second force is there's also someone whose opinion I respect in, and about, music has a couple favorite bands that fall into this arena: Gang of Four and The Fall. So I tried them again. I still don't understand The Fall, but Gang of Four has really clicked. Their Peel sessions did it for me, and now, I can't get some of their songs out of my head. They're angular and progressive. I still hear them as difficult and not your average affair, but their version of catchy is now making sense. I noticed it before, but now that I'm feeling a level of understanding, they have me thinking more about how reggae played into that period of time in alternative music and punk. Talking Heads, The Police, The Slits, Zounds, Gang of Four, The Clash. It clearly had a strong presence in the UK.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:26 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I've just gone through this. I've been really digging into late-70's punk and post-punk. That's been my listening project for the latter part of 2022 and so far this year. To be honest, I have no clear idea what post-punk means. It seems a lot of what I considered to be early alternative and indie rock is considered post-punk. Not of great importance, but there it is. A second force is there's also someone whose opinion I respect in, and about, music has a couple favorite bands that fall into this arena: Gang of Four and The Fall. So I tried them again. I still don't understand The Fall, but Gang of Four has really clicked. Their Peel sessions did it for me, and now, I can't get some of their songs out of my head. They're angular and progressive. I still hear them as difficult and not your average affair, but their version of catchy is now making sense. I noticed it before, but now that I'm feeling a level of understanding, they have me thinking more about how reggae played into that period of time in alternative music and punk. Talking Heads, The Police, The Slits, Zounds, Gang of Four, The Clash. It clearly had a strong presence in the UK.

Have you heard This Heat yet?

https://thisheat.bandcamp.com/album/deceit-2

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:44 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
ZenoMarx wrote:

Have you heard This Heat yet?

https://thisheat.bandcamp.com/album/deceit-2
Always liked This Heat a lot. I don't know if it helped that I came to them by way of experimental music and not punk. I can be moody and fixed like that. It can then take a long while for me to come from another angle.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:00 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I still don't understand The Fall

I'm not sure anyone does - it's deeply weird and obtuse stuff and the catalogue is enormous. It's worth persevering with though. I started with the "50,000 Fall fans cant be wrong" compilation and investigated different eras of the band based on what I liked.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:38 pm 

I can't get into fusion. I sometimes try to listen to it for the drumming. Billy Cobham. Tony Williams Lifetime. Right now, I'm trying to listen to Tony Williams - Believe It. Almost without exception, I hate the production in fusion. I do like some of the Miles Davis electric period (a lot), so that's probably where I'd find the exceptions. The tonality of this area of music gives me a headache. Literally. It hits me as total wankery. Plasticized, sterile, AND awful tones. If I had to frame capitalism by way of music, I think I'd use a jazz fusion album. There's no humanity, just wank and kill or be killed. Miles bled some humanity into his electric period, whereas things I try to like, like Cobham's Spectrum, Total Eclipse, Crosswinds...might as well be music made by AI. Every five years or so, I read or see someone talking about music, making a fusion reference, and I revisit it. Fusion guitar players are the worst too.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:10 pm 

The Bard with Bright Eyes wrote:
Folk/ethnic music. I can respect it for what it is, but it is often too crude and primitive for me to enjoy.

As someone who listens to a lot of folk and ethnic music from across the world, I really can't understand calling any of it "crude and primitive".

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:07 pm 

Hip hop, probably, and for an odd reason: The bragging.

It annoys me in the same way that hair metal and swaggering neo-dad rock annoy me.

I don't want to hear about how awesome/rich/handsome you are. I want to hear about how angry/fucked up you are.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:07 am 

pentalarc22 wrote:
I want to hear about how angry/fucked up you are.

There's hip hop for that too. Try Backxwash:

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:57 am 

Experimental Jazz

Now I've drifted from jazz in general in recent years but I've enjoyed my fair share of that genre. But the very experimental stuff. Atonal and unstructured, almost wholly improvised etc is such a tough listen for me. I can't seem to cling on to anything. I also have a hard time with the way they tend to use the saxophone in this kind of music. Im not good with jazz sub-genres but it might be free jazz?

Hip-hop/rap

I don't mind the musical aspect I'm just put off by the lyrics. Everything I dislike is way to common in the genre (sex, drugs, bragging, bling-bling materialism, misogyny, gang culture, police hate). When I do find artists, albums or songs that offer something else I can really enjoy it but in general I just hate the aesthetics of the genre at large.

Harsh Noise

Since it's been mentioned earlier but I don't even consider it to be music. If there is no melody or rhythm at all I don't even consider it to be music. It's fine if you like it, I have a colleague who listens to white noise to concentrate, but regardless of if it's music or not I don't get it.

Electronic music

Very much a smaller issue here. I really like some electronic music but to listen to a whole album is a chore for me. I think it's a matter of artists often using roughly the same BPM throughout (as I understand it many subgenres of electronic music are defined by what BPM they use) and it's just not varied enough for me. I should love progressive trance for example, and I do in small doses but I can't stand listening to it for longer than a few songs.

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:48 pm 

Miikja wrote:
pentalarc22 wrote:
I want to hear about how angry/fucked up you are.

There's hip hop for that too. Try Backxwash:

Hmm, thanks for that one. Going to definitely check it out later. Did some research on it, and I especially like the genre blending it looks like.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:49 am 

pentalarc22 wrote:
Hip hop, probably, and for an odd reason: The bragging.

It annoys me in the same way that hair metal and swaggering neo-dad rock annoy me.

I don't want to hear about how awesome/rich/handsome you are. I want to hear about how angry/fucked up you are.

Actually hip hop has always been split - lyrically speaking - in to these two categories. On the one hand the more commercial stuff and on the other the more "life is hard" artists. Back in the '90s it was actually the main thing that artists debated and had beef about; check out how The Notorious BIG dissed Nas in his songs about "commercial success".

If you want to hear about artists who keep it real and speak out about life etc. check out the following:

- Brockhampton (the most sexually open band; they literally talk about being gay)
- Death Grips (their history, sampling, music and lyrics have a lot of connections to things like substance abuse, intoxication, schizophrenia etc.)
- Kendrick Lamar (politically/ socially outspoken rapper and writer, masterful lyricist, overall a based person)
- Mobb Deep (my favorite hip hop group; the stuff they speak in their songs are what they had experienced as teenagers in the notorious streets of New York such as gang violence, racism, drugs etc.)
- Immortal Technique (although his lyrics may seem foolish he is a really great rapper and artist)

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:41 pm 

ThatsMeatMansMeat wrote:

Seconding rap/hip hop music. I just find the beats and rapping annoying to listen to. I've tried multiple times with several artists and I've never been able to enjoy more than a handful of songs. I think it's just something that I wasn't meant to like.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2