Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
So there's been a lot of talk about Cormac McCarthy here, to much praise from some and disappointment from others. I haven't read Blood Meridian, nor The Road.
But I read Child of God and I have to say I was really impressed. It is a truly amazing sketch of depravity, and depicts all that it does in a markedly distinct fashion. I can't comment on his other works but I have to say there is clearly genius in this man's work.

Anyone on the fence or not convinced about Cormac McCarthy, try Child of God. It's a short read but there's a lot packed in this tiny novel.

I'm almost done with Blood Meridian and while there are aspects of it I did enjoy I did not love this book like the rest of the board did. There have been multiple parts of this book that I've had to trudge through without really understanding what Cormac is trying to say/convey.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:27 pm 

@InnesI: All right, fair enough. I did say that he didn't make sense to me, and I never told anyone they shouldn't read him. Maybe my opinion would change if I gave him another chance, but, frankly, I'm simply not interested in doing so. There's plenty of other stuff to occupy my reading time. But since you've mentioned the Quran, I will say that that's another work I gave a brief look at, simply because I wanted to get to the source of Islam rather than what people say about it (good or bad). You'll notice I said brief look and not careful perusal; for this reason alone I prefer to refrain from stating any opinion on the subject one way or another, since I don't feel qualified to do so. So on that note, I'll return to the topic of Nietzsche one last time with a concession: whether I understood what I read of him or not, I'm sure I didn't read enough of him to have a strong, informed opinion on him. (Yeah, I know I'm waffling - I reserve the right to do so! :p) But I'll reiterate that I'm simply not interested enough to delve deeper.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:08 am 

I'm currently on a reading challenge. I'm 8 for 10 so far. Got about 200 pages to go on The Count of Monte Christo. It's a good book but its confusing. I'll probably re-read it after the challenge is over to get the most out of it. I'm enjoying it but the names of the characters kinda trip me up and I forget who's who.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 pm 

I'm going to do a read-through of Diogenes Laertius' book "Lives of the Eminent Philosophers" this December break. I got the new translation, replete with beautiful and cool images throughout. I'm a big proponent of how one lives being an important part of a discipline like philosophy, the acid test if you will. I can't wait to hear about what crazy hijinks those old Greeks got into.

In other news, my very slow reading of Edgar Allen Poe's complete fiction is still happening, although it is slower than even I could have ever thought. His writing is also, thankfully, better than I expected beforehand! Some real classics in there, even if "The Murders at the Rue Morgue" is a bit goofy. My personal favorite so far is "Mesmeric Revelation", love that stuff.

Otherwise, I've just been reading Aristotle. I did Physics a while back, just recently went through Metaphysics. Up next is De Anima. Gotta hit the big ones. Still not done with all of Plato, but I'll pick up the last few I haven't gotten to next semester (Laches, Lysis, Charmides, a few others). And I need to reread Timaeus and probably Republic, since it's been quite a while.

It'd be great if this thread got some more action! What have folks been reading? I've unfortunately never read The Count of Monte Christo, but have heard only great things about it.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:34 pm 

I'm currently reading Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain and absolutely loving it. Strangely, this is the first thing by Twain I've ever read. I might have to give his other stuff a shot. Anyway, I never knew much at all about Joan of Arc, and now I'm convinced she was a total badass. A real tragedy her country thanked her by murdering her.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 pm 

Two recent quick fiction reads for me since I finished Dying Earth:

Ursula K. Le Guin, The Word for World is Forest. My third and shortest Le Guin book, I would place it below Left Hand but above Dispossessed. It's much more simplistic than those two (it's essentially Colonialism is Bad: The Novel) but I really enjoyed the setting, and despite its brevity Le Guin manages to convey the different societies and individual personalities quite well. I found myself wishing it hadn't ended so soon...I wanted to spend more time in the forests with Selver.

Jeffrey Lewis (aka "The Arms Control Wonk"), The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States. A longtime nuclear policy expert authors an intensely realistic scenario for a nuclear war with Pyongyang, set in 2020. The premise is that he is authoring a report for a congressional commission after the war, similar to the 9/11 report. It's a quick read and I highly recommend it. Some of the seemingly unbelievable things in the book have already happened, and he provides end notes.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am 

I borrowed my SO's copy of Gone Girl while we were doing laundry last night and I am hoooooked. Was up until about 3am with it, so I'm feeling like a zombie at work today. Even still, I just want to go home and rip through more of it. I've been way obsessed with "true crime" stories lately so the timing is perfect. Really tense undertones and a great style of writing.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I borrowed my SO's copy of Gone Girl while we were doing laundry last night and I am hoooooked. Was up until about 3am with it, so I'm feeling like a zombie at work today. Even still, I just want to go home and rip through more of it. I've been way obsessed with "true crime" stories lately so the timing is perfect. Really tense undertones and a great style of writing.

Definitely check out Gillian Flynn's two previous books. They're both well-paced, killer reads in a similar vein, with some nice twists.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 pm 

Will do! I burned through Gone Girl. Absolutely not the ending I ever expected.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Will do! I burned through Gone Girl. Absolutely not the ending I ever expected.

I can't wait to read that again, was thinking of it recently.

I'm reading Ursula LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness right now. Not my usual cup of tea but I do love a good old sci fi, and this is scratching some sort of itch. Very imaginative. I find the writing to be evocative and interesting. I'm not sure where it's going so that's fun.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 pm 

All I'll say is it's going to interesting places. Really a quite wonderful novel.

That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:30 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm reading Ursula LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness right now. Not my usual cup of tea but I do love a good old sci fi, and this is scratching some sort of itch. Very imaginative. I find the writing to be evocative and interesting. I'm not sure where it's going so that's fun.

If you're in the mood for more LeGuin and haven't read it yet, check out The Lathe of Heaven. It's about a guy who sees a psychologist because he believes his dreams are reshaping reality and the novel focuses on the results of their sessions--really cool and imaginative.
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
After That: Golden Boy and Gunsmith Cats

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:46 am 

Lathe of Heaven has a great TV adaptation as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:54 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

If you're in the mood for more LeGuin and haven't read it yet, check out The Lathe of Heaven. It's about a guy who sees a psychologist because he believes his dreams are reshaping reality and the novel focuses on the results of their sessions--really cool and imaginative.

This does sound good - and actually more in my lane in a way. I'll keep it in mind.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:39 am 

I recently read The Name of the Rose, and was blown away by it and it is now possibly my favorite novel.

I'm currently about 200 pages into Foucault's Pendulum, and it's a tougher read but I'm still enjoying it greatly. Lots of setup, though, I'm hoping the plot itself picks up soon.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 pm 

I actually just read The Lathe of Heaven a couple months back. It's pretty great but I think I liked Left Hand of Darkness a bit more. Lathe has such a brilliant set up and I was utterly gripped for the first third of it, but then as it went on it started to lose me a bit. I still really liked it overall, I guess I just wanted it to stay a little more grounded. It reminded me a lot of Philip K. Dick, which isn't a bad thing of course, but it seemed like Le Guin was really trying out writing a PKD book. Still no reason not to read it though, it's a good time and it's less than 200 pages.

I recently read the best novel I've read this year. Spider by Patrick McGrath. I'd never heard of the book or the author, but I happened upon it for 99 cents in a thrift shop near my house and thought the cover looked bleak and grim and the blurb on the back compared it to Poe and Beckett, so I thought what the hell. Oh my god, this is one of the best gothic novels I've ever come across. Narratively it's nothing groundbreaking; pretty much a standard descent into madness told from a first-person perspective, but the way it unfolds is simply brilliant. Before I'd even finished it I ordered a few more of his books and have now read three others (Asylum, Blood and Water, and Ghost Town) but none quite reached the same height as Spider. Apparently there's a David Cronenberg adaptation but I haven't watched it yet.

Now I'm reading Lanark by Alasdair Gray. A big postmodern Scottish novel that came out in the '80s. A friend of mine has always recommended this book to me and finally I'm getting around to it. It admittedly took me about a hundred pages to really get into, but now that I'm 300 pages deep I'm absolutely loving it. Sort of a Portrait of the Artist-esque bildungsroman mixed with some Kafkaesque hellish surrealism. Also just ordered a collection of Gray's short fiction since I never want this book to end.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
I recently read The Name of the Rose, and was blown away by it and it is now possibly my favorite novel.

I'm currently about 200 pages into Foucault's Pendulum, and it's a tougher read but I'm still enjoying it greatly. Lots of setup, though, I'm hoping the plot itself picks up soon.

I think I preferred The Name of the Rose but I quite enjoyed both of those. Foucault's Pendulum has the whole occult conspiracy thing going strong, of which I'm a huge fan. It's pretty similar honestly to Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus! trilogy in some ways (as a kind of deconstruction of the genre, if that's a right word), though from a very different angle. But a similar message, sort of. I would totally recommend that trilogy to anyone into more interesting occult conspiracy/paranoid acid novels from a not-sure-if-serious kind of perspective.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 pm 

The little I know of Lathe of Heaven sounds sort of like the dreamtime concept from The Word for World is Forest, which I quite liked...guess I'll have to add that one to my list.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:24 pm 

As using the "writers" thread at this point risk necromancy, I will post this here:

I have finished a Christmas novel for non-believers (you know, them baby eating atheists), and it's up and for sale over at Amazon as Print on Demand or Kindle.

An Atheist Christmas Tale is the book. My goal was A Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation with a non-believer spin to it.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:02 pm 

Any history buffs here? I've been reading a great book called Caesar and Christ by Will Durant; it's a history of Rome from 753 B.C. to 325 A.D., and it's absolutely captivating. I expected dryness, but it's extremely readable, and even humorous at times. It's part of an 11-book series called The Story Civilization, in fact the third installment in the series, of which I haven't read any other books, but now greatly want to. Highly recommended.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148