Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Teh Intelligent Lurker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 3:08 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Bulgaria
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:46 am 
 

By negative feedback I don't mean only reviews on the MA, but any rateable content whatsoever. I am part of a community with user created content and I used to write quite a bit of reviews, many of them negative. Although going through a godawful sumbission was rather a torture, I liked to flame it afterwards. I also enjoy to read (very) low reviews occassionally, especially if they are posted by obvious trolls (unless said trolls are very boring). It's even better if there's someone to disprove said review - then the drama gets real. I even tend exercise by looking up "<something I like> is bad/stupid/overrated" to see what'll show up. You should try it sometimes.

Of course, when you read bad feedback about something you really like or to which you have strong personal connection, or even something which is your own creation, this could slightly of significantly offend you. I was offended a few times this way, but it taught me not to take things too seriously and that trying to prove how your opinion is totally-more-correct is pointless unless you are doing it for the laughs.
_________________
Remerber:
Your favourite band sucks.

Top
 Profile  
Osore
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 am
Posts: 191
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 pm 
 

I don't read reviews often, but I enjoy everything that's skilfully written and grabs my attention. Sometimes it can be a mocking review, although I prefer constructive criticism. (A lot of) negative reviews can have an impact on the artist, especially in the case of ''underground one man projects''.

If you are conscious about your imperfections, every criticism except for the rude mocking is welcomed and can help you to improve and see your work from another perspective.

People often take a genre as an argument that something is worthless, which often happens with metalcore here. Distinction has to be made between what we (dis)like, and what's objectively garbage. On the other hand, academic musical criticism is often too harsh when it comes to contemporary forms, and I have a feeling that they often force classical music too much. There's no a single classical composition that can enlighten me with the same things like black metal, and vice versa. Art is subjective. Artistic skills are not, they are estimated based on other people's performances, and the bar is set too high for the average, lazy and untalented to follow.
_________________
PESIMUM: misanthropic asylum
Serbo-Croatian poetry most beautiful (share new poems in The Poetry Thread)

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 258
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:56 am 
 

No everybody should love everything all the time so nobody ever gets upset and we all live in a peaceful utopia free of hatred and negativity. What's the use of telling people how much you hate something unless you're just looking to troll their gullible asses? I don't understand morons who fall for that kind of shit in the first place. Nobody's opinion is valid no matter what their life experience says. You should always just go with your gut because nobody can tell you what's best for you except you. Who cares that Jimmy Dillhole Jr. over on 41th street didn't like the same 4 .m4a files passed off as industrial music as much as you did?

And to anybody who disagrees? Fuck you, you probably like dumb shit anyways.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 1414
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm 
 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Nobody's opinion is valid no matter what their life experience says. You should always just go with your gut because nobody can tell you what's best for you except you. Who cares that Jimmy Dillhole Jr. over on 41th street didn't like the same 4 .m4a files passed off as industrial music as much as you did?

And to anybody who disagrees? Fuck you, you probably like dumb shit anyways.


You know, I can't tell if you're serious or not, but I kind of agree with this. Art is so subjective, anyway. I mean, yeah I guess there are some bands playing in your local bar or garage that TRULY just cannot play their instruments very well, or some kid making short films with his iPhone and iMovie that has no clue. But when it comes to actually putting out a piece of art you've worked on, it's SO subjective.

I've also never wrote a goddamn review of anything in my life. I hate trying to explain why I like or dislike something to people. I get asked all the time about films or records and I usually just say if I like it or not. When people ask me why, I usually just say "because I do." Sometimes I think it's pretentious or superior trying to tell someone why you yourself likes something (or why they should). I don't need to convince anyone of anything I like, or dislike.

Having said ALL THAT, I don't begrudge people who do skillfully and respectfully (actually, fuck it, sometimes I don't even care if it's disrespectful as long as it's not directly to the artist) voice their opinions, and I do sometimes read other people's thoughts on music/films/books.

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 258
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:24 am 
 

Honestly I'm a bit of a hypocrite, so it feels like everything I type is full of mixed messages haha. I was drunk when I typed that (not trying to make excuses, just the facts) so it was an assholish chunk of snark from a sincere place, if that makes any sense. The only criticism I care about is my own and forming my own opinions on the media I consume is all that matters to me. However I do enjoy reading other people's opinions on things (if they aren't a fucking moron), but I'd never let their views shape my own. If someone wants to hate something, more power to them. Write a negative review if it makes you feel better. I'm guilty of it myself. But in the online era we live in, that's all we are; our takes. I find it to be more fun to try not to be a negative asshole as much as I can.

It's no fun raining on other people's parade, unless you're a piece of shit. Life's too short to spend it trying to drag others down.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:20 pm 
 

I usually don't bother to give feedback on eBay or Amazon, and when I do I keep my opinion out of it. I'm not so delusional that I think the world cares about my opinion.

If there was something really wrong with the thing I bought, and attempts to get it corrected have failed, then the seller just sucks and I will says so. If I get around to it.

If the seller was awesome and delivered a great product in great shape, and fast, then I'll leave positive feedback every time.
_________________
Metalheads never get old. We just become legendary.

Top
 Profile  
Diplomate
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 pm
Posts: 223
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:27 pm 
 

I know what you'are talking about. This site is a goldmine for such content.

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 1339
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am 
 

If i notice a review being overly negative, or overly positive, I usually disregard it. Not always, but often, it just means that it is written either to mock something or it is written with blinders on by fan boys. And if said reviews attract discussion it is usually with people with whom it is not worth to discuss with since they are the type that gets so emotionally engaged that they won't be able to discuss thing objectively either. So generally I disregard both the writer of the review (not matter if it reflects his or her true feeling or if its there to troll others) and the people reacting to it.

But if someone really dislikes or likes and album and can be precise and concrete in what way its fine of course. Its the extreme (and thus stupid) reviewers I disregard. They also tend to be the kind of people that want the spotlight on themselves and not on the reviewed product. They build their own brand. Especially the negative people. We find these among the online trolls but also among journalists in established media.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4601
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am 
 

Diplomate wrote:
I know what you'are talking about. This site is a goldmine for such content.


So that site's another one of the fakes spawned by the guy who ran The Satan Records (a fake label with a bunch of midi black metal). You can tell because the writing style is exactly the same for every single one of the reviews. They're either trying to take the piss out of the anus/dmu crowd, or trying to copy them for the ad money and assume metal fans won't be able to spot the difference.
_________________
demonomania wrote:
A gritty "Leprechaun In the IRA" reboot sounds pretty awesome, actually. Sample line - "Come have a taste of me lucky ARMS!"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Top
 Profile  
Diplomate
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 pm
Posts: 223
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:31 pm 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Diplomate wrote:
I know what you'are talking about. This site is a goldmine for such content.


So that site's another one of the fakes spawned by the guy who ran The Satan Records (a fake label with a bunch of midi black metal). You can tell because the writing style is exactly the same for every single one of the reviews. They're either trying to take the piss out of the anus/dmu crowd, or trying to copy them for the ad money and assume metal fans won't be able to spot the difference.

These reviews are fun though, like calling Emperor and Summoning faggoths/emo. They could come off as real reviews if he didn't mention his stupid fake bands like Sewer.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26816
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 pm 
 

It's human nature to enjoy shitting on stuff or complaining to varying degrees. It can be funny sometimes and good to vent occasionally.

That said it can also be a toxic thing. I think I used to do it too much on my old reviews and haven't been at that nearly so much the last few years. Mostly that came from taking my own art more seriously. At some level these days I respect people for doing art even if I think it sucks.

Though there's a difference, a fine line, between bashing stuff hyperbolically and actually giving legit critiques and understanding shit.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
doomicus
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 5:58 am
Posts: 437
Location: Kenfuckedy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 pm 
 

I enjoy giving constructive criticism. Also, I would like to highlight that often times I find that I can tell if I'll enjoy an album or not much easier through negative reviews of said album than glowing positive reviews.
_________________
Drink and drive, I drink and drive
Got mothers against me I'm still alive

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 1339
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:08 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It's human nature to enjoy shitting on stuff or complaining to varying degrees. It can be funny sometimes and good to vent occasionally.

That said it can also be a toxic thing. I think I used to do it too much on my old reviews and haven't been at that nearly so much the last few years.


The problem is its part of the lower side of human nature - that side which enjoys bullying. That is why I try to stay away from both doing and reading/watching such reviews. Few good things come from it in the long run. The risk is that it will lead to a negativity spiral (and we all know a few people who can only complain and never offer constructive critique).

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26816
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 am 
 

InnesI wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It's human nature to enjoy shitting on stuff or complaining to varying degrees. It can be funny sometimes and good to vent occasionally.

That said it can also be a toxic thing. I think I used to do it too much on my old reviews and haven't been at that nearly so much the last few years.


The problem is its part of the lower side of human nature - that side which enjoys bullying. That is why I try to stay away from both doing and reading/watching such reviews. Few good things come from it in the long run. The risk is that it will lead to a negativity spiral (and we all know a few people who can only complain and never offer constructive critique).


Yeah it's mean to do it to the creator's face, and it can be sometimes more like bullying. I just mean it's not an unusual thing to make jokes or vent about anything in a negative way. But yeah there is something to be said for not letting a negative mindset take over, sure.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7417
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:37 pm 
 

I'll just say I really miss the reviews by Tepes_the_Unweeping.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 432
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:40 pm 
 

No, I honestly can't stand reading or giving negative reviews, and I don't really like giving reviews period, but if I were to choose so I would only choose to give reviews of bands/albums I like, at least a significant amount, if not a lot.

What I really have never been able to stand is metal elitists who decide that their opinions on bands and albums are superior to everyone else's and who in particular like to bash bands or albums.

I mean, this site has its' fair share, but it's also BY FAR IMO the best metal site on the web with lots of other types of critics.

But as far as reading negative reviews, when it comes to music I am not sure if I've ever been dissuaded from purchasing or downloading an album based on a negative review.

I mean, I am pretty sure I have been in terms of there been NO POSITIVE REVIEWS, because then I felt like no one liked them much so they might not be good, but if I see an album has 5 reviews, and 1 of them is excellent and the other 4 say the album is shitty or average, I am still probably more likely to consider the opinion of the one guy who liked it, albeit I'll probably listen to it myself first on youtube, BECAUSE I LIKE TO LOOK FOR REASONS TO LIKE THINGS, NOT REASONS TO DISLIKE THINGS.

I never give a shit if movie critics give a movie a bad review. I basically consider that almost a challenge to see if I disagree.

But if people like an album or movie then that attracts my interest.

I consider myself an enthusiast and NOT a critic.

I want reasons to like things, but that being said, I am only into liking those things (bands, albums, movies, whatever) that are truly worth my time, and if I liked everything then nothing would have any value, so negative reviews, or at least the absence of overly positive reviews are valuable and necessary cause we can have a site that is 100% positive, but beyond that, I am not influenced very much by reading negative reviews, and I find it extremely annoying when people try to find every reason they can to bash a band or album or movie and think themselves extremely intelligent because they know how to use a big vocabulary and interesting new ways to insult what they don't like.

I could never write critical reviews because: 1) I consider myself to be very good at only listening to music I like and ignoring the rest 2) because i don't like spending time thinking about what I don't like or why I don't like it or explaining why.

I'm not the sort of person to USUALLY hear an album or band or song and think I HATE THIS!! with a passion.

What usually happens is, as someone with a collection of over 1,000 Cds, MOST of the time I buy an album I start off by at least thinking it's "OK"....if not great, cause either by listening ahead of time, or if not, by reading reviews and knowing what kind of stuff I like, I am usually able to avoid stuff I HATE.

Then what will happen is over the years I notice certain albums don't stand the test of time, while others really do.

Years later I may listen to things I thought were just "ok" or even better than average, and realize that they are really below average or not that great, but even then I will rarely conclude an album I bought is now something I DESPISE...it will just fade into the background as music I like stands the test of time.

So if I ever wrote reviews they'd be mostly positive, and yet I think people who review albums or movies tend to think they HAVE to write enough negative reviews in order to be taken seriously as critics, and that just takes all the joy out of it for me.

I don't want to spend time thinking about what I don't like or trying to prove myself a good critic, I just consider myself an enthusiast who knows what he likes.

Top
 Profile  
dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:55 am
Posts: 214
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:13 am 
 

I like to read negative feedback that random sellers have gotten on eBay and Discogs. I guess I'm just entertained by people's grievances even if some of them aren't really the seller's fault. But I myself as a buyer have never left negative feedback and don't understand the mindset of someone who would go straight to leaving a negative without talking to the seller about the problem first.
_________________
Your head's so full of things
So set your mind free of them
I'm breaking the rules
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 8937
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:08 am 
 

Two different things:

Ratings without review: In an age where people make money on the internet and ratings directly affect their chances of doing so, most negative ratings are given by people who get off on harming others. The one and only thing I respect about Facebook is their policy of not introducing dislikes no matter the public pressure. Only way to tackle online abuse is to take away the abusers' tools.

Ratings with review: Once a person has to spell out why they dislike something it becomes a lot more likely to see a genuine opinion and you get a lot less negativity for the sake of negativity. With a properly written review you can still make up your own mind and even if the reviewer doesn't like the product or content or whatever, you still might.
_________________
Badass overload!! The Conan soundtracks were composed by a Klingon!! - Pop culture review channel

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group