Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:46 pm 

Just wanna know if folks here are into cars of any type? Muscle cars? Racing? Modding? Etc....Pictures? Videos?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:03 pm 

I am, especially so over the past ten years.

In recent years, I've owned:

- 2004 C5 Corvette
- 2013 BMW 135i convertible
- 2015 Audi TTS cabrio
- 2016 Audi S5 cabrio
- 2015 BMW Z4 sdrive35i (hard top 'vert)
- 2016 BMW m235i convertible
- 2022 BMW Z4 sdrive30i convertible (current car)

I usually buy used and rarely keep a car more than 2 years. I Get bored quickly.
Next car will likely be either a C7 Corvette convertible or a BMW 440i convertible. I love the Vette but am leaning towards a four-seater. A 2024 Mustang GT convertible may be an option, too.

Believe it, or not, I prefer to keep everything stock and no modifications.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:55 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I am, especially so over the past ten years.

In recent years, I've owned:

- 2004 C5 Corvette
- 2013 BMW 135i convertible
- 2015 Audi TTS cabrio
- 2016 Audi S5 cabrio
- 2015 BMW Z4 sdrive35i (hard top 'vert)
- 2016 BMW m235i convertible
- 2022 BMW Z4 sdrive30i convertible (current car)

I usually buy used and rarely keep a car more than 2 years. I Get bored quickly.
Next car will likely be either a C7 Corvette convertible or a BMW 440i convertible. I love the Vette but am leaning towards a four-seater. A 2024 Mustang GT convertible may be an option, too.

Believe it, or not, I prefer to keep everything stock and no modifications.

Oh hell yeah so I'm not the only one wasting money haha!
That's a nice list of have had cars

I have not had BMW or Vette's. And yes, I never do 'go' mods and prefer 'sho' mods too.....never wanted to mod headers, exhaust....tune a car or anything like that. You always read about how someone's engine, drive train.....something failed and were deigned coverage due to modding! Seen it 100 times! I do however ALWAYS get HRE's, some aero parts and keep the things clean AF.
The new Vette's are polarizing, I have seen some out and about where I live. And mustangs are always a dime a dozen too where I live.
There has not been many things exciting to me lately. I'm not into EV's at all either....time will tell.

GuitarGuyNack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:32 am 

Yes. I am a classic car collector and bodyman. I like to restore them back to as close to original as possible. If I do modify something it is done using period correct parts that would have been readily available when the car was new. All my toys are 1972 and older.

The current project is a rare 1961 Chevy short box stepside factory 4 wheel drive.The engine is a 1959 Chevy 348 out of a wrecked Impala cop car.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:29 am 

GuitarGuyNack wrote:
Yes. I am a classic car collector and bodyman. I like to restore them back to as close to original as possible. If I do modify something it is done using period correct parts that would have been readily available when the car was new. All my toys are 1972 and older.

The current project is a rare 1961 Chevy short box stepside factory 4 wheel drive.The engine is a 1959 Chevy 348 out of a wrecked Impala cop car.

Pretty rad man. Have any pics? I have always wanted to have a 50's body MB with modern drive train, suspension, interior etc.
I'm always looking for that one perfect 50's beater to restore/modernize.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:07 am 

GuitarGuyNack wrote:

One day in the future I will own a C3 Corvette -- '68 - '72 model years -- before they were neutered. Most gorgeous body style ever...even after 50+ years. It's a work of art.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:48 am 

My first car was a family hand-me-down '69 Chevelle 2-door, 2-barrel 350 Malibu. The most basic version probably available at the time. Not the muscliest of the muscle cars, but it was a family far, not some young person's testosterone joy (like it was for me). It had gone from a great uncle to my uncle to me. Rusted and beat up. My favorite car I owned was an '85 VW Vanagon. The closest thing I've ever experienced to a motorcycle, and I say that in the most endearing way. The giant windows made it feel like you were outside and near the road. You didn't feel like you were "inside" something. As much as I think cars can be cool, I'd rather be riding a bicycle. I still have dream cars (mostly 60's muscle cars and British roadsters), but I have no interest in owning them. I could never afford them now anyway.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:05 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:
My first car was a family hand-me-down '69 Chevelle 2-door, 2-barrel 350 Malibu. The most basic version probably available at the time. Not the muscliest of the muscle cars, but it was a family far, not some young person's testosterone joy (like it was for me). It had gone from a great uncle to my uncle to me. Rusted and beat up. My favorite car I owned was an '85 VW Vanagon. The closest thing I've ever experienced to a motorcycle, and I say that in the most endearing way. The giant windows made it feel like you were outside and near the road. You didn't feel like you were "inside" something. As much as I think cars can be cool, I'd rather be riding a bicycle. I still have dream cars (mostly 60's muscle cars and British roadsters), but I have no interest in owning them. I could never afford them now anyway.

Yah, I've driven a couple of VW buses too. I like that feeling of sitting right up in front, OVER the road as the engine is in the back.
It's cool to have a ride you're not worried about rust, dings/dents, paint etc........I got over 'trying to keep it new forever' a long time ago but I do keep my shit clean. Wish I had a garage!
I too like British cars, namely Jaguar's before 2007-08 when they had that huge design change.

How the hell does one post pics here anyway?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:37 am 

deadtome wrote:

[img]insert_url[/img]

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:22 pm 

Opus wrote:
deadtome wrote:

[img]insert_url[/img]

Tack!
I'll give that a try

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:28 am 

Here.

Longtime motorsport fan.
Big on classic BMWs. I've had an E28 M535i, multiple E30's, and an E21 circuit racer.

Had the E28 and the race car at the same time, sold both to focus on life/adulting, so haven't had an interesting car a for a little while.
Planning to get onto a bike at some point, but that hasn't happened yet.

Will get back into it when the timing is right, but other priorities need to come first.
What I end up with will depend on what opportunities present themselves. My shortlist of interests is very, very small.
Currently looking like:
- manual E31 8 series
- Lotus Exige V6
- Lotus Esprit V8
- Fox Mustang race car.

And that's about all that interests me enough to actually spend money on at this point.
Prices have gone crazy over the last few years and my brain is still stuck in past, but who knows how that will change over time!

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:58 am 

wone21r wrote:
Here.

Longtime motorsport fan.
Big on classic BMWs. I've had an E28 M535i, multiple E30's, and an E21 circuit racer.

Had the E28 and the race car at the same time, sold both to focus on life/adulting, so haven't had an interesting car a for a little while.
Planning to get onto a bike at some point, but that hasn't happened yet.

Will get back into it when the timing is right, but other priorities need to come first.
What I end up with will depend on what opportunities present themselves. My shortlist of interests is very, very small.
Currently looking like:
- manual E31 8 series
- Lotus Exige V6
- Lotus Esprit V8
- Fox Mustang race car.

And that's about all that interests me enough to actually spend money on at this point.
Prices have gone crazy over the last few years and my brain is still stuck in past, but who knows how that will change over time!

Oh shit tell me about it. The Pandamnit really turned the car buying world upside-down and all the dealers with their fucking ADM's make me sick. I'm not into EV's but holy shite I like that ID Buzz hahaha. Probably end up with another Pcar soon though to be honest. :love:

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:41 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:45 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:46 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:47 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:49 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:51 pm 

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm 

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:58 pm 

Are those cars yours?

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:18 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Are those cars yours?

They are, however, past and present. I didn't want to get carried away with pics

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:43 pm 

Every halloween \m/

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:23 pm 

Come on laddies, lets see those hot rides

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:06 am 

I wouldn't find the time to be much of a car person even if I wanted to - happy just to drive simple old Honda Civics.

But you may like seeing this - it was my grandma's 1981 Mitsubishi Celeste. I highly doubt I'll ever own anything remotely as cool!

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:59 am 

DeadKid wrote:
I wouldn't find the time to be much of a car person even if I wanted to - happy just to drive simple old Honda Civics.

But you may like seeing this - it was my grandma's 1981 Mitsubishi Celeste. I highly doubt I'll ever own anything remotely as cool!

Yah, that's a cool older car, but honestly I'm loving those conifers back there too :)

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:04 am 

This isn't my car, but this is what my E28 was like. Same colour and wheels. Loved that car.

Spoiler: show

And this one is a pic of my E21 race car:

Spoiler: show

Last edited by wone21r on Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:41 pm 

wone21r wrote:
This isn't my car, but this is what my E28 was like. Same colour and wheels. Loved that car.

And this one is a pic of my E21 race car:

That's a great looking car mate, thanx for sharing. I don't think many metal heads are car people.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:48 am 

deadtome wrote:
That's a great looking car mate, thanx for sharing. I don't think many metal heads are car people.

Thank you.

In my experience, "car people" kindof works loosely in the same way as "metal heads", in that an appreciation for cars/motorsport can be found in people of any walk of life, and that it can easily be a shared passion that allows otherwise different people to find common ground.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:57 pm 

I follow a few forms of motorsport. Single seater stuff like Formula 1, FIA Formula 2, F3, and Indycar are my main ones along with some junior category stuff occasionally. Also like sportscar racing like IMSA, WEC, and (especially) Japanese Super GT.

But for god's sake, could you guys please put massive images behind spoiler tags? Trying to scroll through down this page on my phone is damn near impossible.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:33 pm 

I have very similar motorsport tastes. Watched the most recent Super GT round at Suzuka just yesterday. Super GT consistently has some of the most entertaining racing you'll ever see.

(apologies for the image size, I've followed your spoiler suggestion. deadtome, you may need to edit your post to requote mine with the spoilers)

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:46 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I follow a few forms of motorsport. Single seater stuff like Formula 1, FIA Formula 2, F3, and Indycar are my main ones along with some junior category stuff occasionally. Also like sportscar racing like IMSA, WEC, and (especially) Japanese Super GT.

But for god's sake, could you guys please put massive images behind spoiler tags? Trying to scroll through down this page on my phone is damn near impossible.

Sorry about file sizes, I'm always working from my PC and have never had a cell phone haha!
Thank you for sharing, have any pix of your rad rides?

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:47 pm 

wone21r wrote:
I have very similar motorsport tastes. Watched the most recent Super GT round at Suzuka just yesterday. Super GT consistently has some of the most entertaining racing you'll ever see.

(apologies for the image size, I've followed your spoiler suggestion. deadtome, you may need to edit your post to requote mine with the spoilers)

I like the large ones, very great in details. Feel free to post more, this is a slow thread!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:20 am 

This isn't a pic of the Vette I owned, but this looks identical:

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:52 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
This isn't a pic of the Vette I owned, but this looks identical:

Yah, the Corvette is iconic. Why'd you get rid of it? Just moving on?

I stopped buying so many cars as they were replaced by kids hahaha.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:53 pm 

deadtome wrote:

Two reasons:
1) the C5 generation of Corvette was notorious for its myriad problems with the electrical system. Mine was no different -- experienced a handful of recurring issues that I no longer wanted to throw money at.
2) This may sound crazy, but the car was so powerful that you really couldn't "drive it hard". You could never take advantage of that powertrain in daily driving...not without tempting fate with the law, anyway.

I live in a highly populated suburb so there really aren't any backroads where I could open it up. I rarely ever pushed it above 3k RPM in normal driving. So it wasn't as exciting as it should have been.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:58 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
deadtome wrote:

Two reasons:
1) the C5 generation of Corvette was notorious for its myriad problems with the electrical system. Mine was no different -- experienced a handful of recurring issues that I no longer wanted to throw money at.
2) This may sound crazy, but the car was so powerful that you really couldn't "drive it hard". You could never take advantage of that powertrain in daily driving...not without tempting fate with the law, anyway.

I live in a highly populated suburb so there really aren't any backroads where I could open it up. I rarely ever pushed it above 3k RPM in normal driving. So it wasn't as exciting as it should have been.

Both completely understandable! There's nothing quite as maddening as always having a car issue! I had a S40 (Volvo) like that, it was a great car until it wasn't.
And double yes!
Can we take the US GOV to court for allowing us to buy high powered cars and then not driving them to the full potential?!
My current car is 550hp/591tq! Which isn't much by todays standards but still a shitload of power.

ANything on your radar in terms of wants/likes?

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:34 am 

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:30 pm 

deadtome wrote:
Both completely understandable! There's nothing quite as maddening as always having a car issue! I had a S40 (Volvo) like that, it was a great car until it wasn't.
And double yes!
Can we take the US GOV to court for allowing us to buy high powered cars and then not driving them to the full potential?!
My current car is 550hp/591tq! Which isn't much by todays standards but still a shitload of power.

Hmmm, I'd say that 550/591 is indeed still quite a lot by today's standards! ;)

Next car will likely be the current generation of either the Audi S5 Cabrio or the BMW 440i 'vert.
And, although I griped about the inability to fully maximize the C5 Vette ownership, I'm always keeping my eyes open for a 2008-2013 C6 or an earlier C7 (2014-2015). Just cant kick that bug. LOL

But I just love the BMW turbo-charged straight-six and their overall fit & finish...will probably lean that way.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:29 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
deadtome wrote:
And double yes!

Hmmm, I'd say that 550/591 is indeed still quite a lot by today's standards! ;)

Next car will likely be the current generation of either the Audi S5 Cabrio or the BMW 440i 'vert.
And, although I griped about the inability to fully maximize the C5 Vette ownership, I'm always keeping my eyes open for a 2008-2013 C6 or an earlier C7 (2014-2015). Just cant kick that bug. LOL

But I just love the BMW turbo-charged straight-six and their overall fit & finish...will probably lean that way.

Yah I guess you're right. Seems like a lot of recent AMG's and M cars have over 600 but hey, it's a dick measuring thing after 500 I guess hahaha, not like we can use that off of the track anyway, not that I track cars......talk about wear and tear.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next