Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 pm 

I was going to post this in the general literature thread but decided that I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I came across this book on Amazon.com while looking at reviews for the book "Liberal Fascism". The book is called "The Irrational Atheist: Dissecting the Unholy Trinity of Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens" and attempts to undermine the argument that religion and reason are at odds with one another or so Amazon says. Apparently the author is trying to argue that Atheism relies as much on faith as religion does and I found an article by the author on another website.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=35640

The book isn't out yet apparently (yet that article was written in 2003?), but from the article the author, Vox Day (real name Theodore Beale), wrote it seems like he doesn't have the intellectual understanding of the philosophy behind Atheism, nor the personal experience with Atheists, to be writing a book on the subject. In other words this book looks like it's going to be a few hundred page strawman. In fact, I'll go ahead and pull a few out of that article.

Quote:
The idea that he is a devotee of reason seeing through the outdated superstitions of other, lesser beings is the foremost conceit of the proud atheist.

That they also paved the way for the murderous excesses of the French Revolution and many other massacres in the name of human progress is usually considered an unfortunate coincidence by their philosophical descendants.

The atheist is without God but not without faith, for today he puts his trust in the investigative method known as science, whether he understands it or not...

The irrationality of the atheist can primarily be seen in his actions – and it is here that the cowardice of his intellectual convictions is also exposed.

...even the most admirable of atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite...

Without God, there is only the left-hand path of the philosopher. It leads invariably to Hell, by way of the guillotine, the gulag and the gas chamber. The atheist is irrational because he has no other choice – because the rational consequences of his non-belief are simply too terrible to bear.

I'll reserve final judgement of this book until its release date, my reading, and subsequent review of said book. But the idea that this book will become a staple of intellectual thought and jar several people out of their "irrational...left-hand path", I doubt it.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 pm 

Without God, there is only the left-hand path of the philosopher, which invariably leads to hell, the guilotine, and other forms of death? What the fuck is this guy on?

Is he trying to somehow say that philosophy (essentially reason, logic, and intelligence) is wrong in some way?

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:04 pm 

Sounds pretty idiotic. Theists have a girth of epistemological and ontological issues to deal with before they can even start on the same field as non-believers.

LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm 

vondskapens_makt wrote:
Without God, there is only the left-hand path of the philosopher, which invariably leads to hell, the guilotine, and other forms of death? What the fuck is this guy on?

Is he trying to somehow say that philosophy (essentially reason, logic, and intelligence) is wrong in some way?

I think something like that. I remeber on his blog he went on a rant about how the theory of multiple universes is backed up only by science fiction authors, and then compared that to Evolution and Atheism. So I certainly believe this guy has some moral axe to grind against philosophy and science. He is (allegedly) a former Atheist, so I do wonder.

Last edited by LSD_25 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zythifer
RP's left nut tastes like breastmilk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm 

Congratulations on wasting your money. This type of garbage is just designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:06 pm 

Zythifer wrote:
Congratulations on wasting your money.

Are you talking about me or people who would buy this book? Because I have no intention of buying. I'm not willing to put money in this guys pocket.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 pm 

Also, the guy who wrote that book "Liberal Fascism" is a complete douche bag.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 pm 

Looks like the typical "Christian (Don't know if he's a Christian or just a theist) propaganda disguised as thought-provoking and researched literature" I've seen far too many times.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Looks like the typical "Christian (Don't know if he's a Christian or just a theist) propaganda disguised as thought-provoking and researched literature" I've seen far too many times.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:

And it manages to turn out to be nothing more than failure each and every time.

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 pm 

It's a typical example of the indignant reaction of Christians to people dissecting their religious beliefs. Often it's veiled as some kind of "liberal conspiracy". As a non-Christian I'm offended by being tarred as a liberal.

Zythifer
RP's left nut tastes like breastmilk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm 

Precisely.

I mean, Dawkins himself cites a few Christians who have truly well-thought out positions. Theology should be rich and cultured, and I'd think the people who take the time to study it, learn Latin, and whatnot should be able to churn out a truly thought provoking metaphysical argument. Sadly, though, they've settled for name calling and ad hominem that just happens to fill enough pages so some neo-troglodyte can say, "hay look, I cans red boock too!!11"

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:26 pm 

History repeats itself...go read Ravi Zacharias' The Real Face of Atheism. It uses the "atheism is illogical because it asserts an absolute negative" argument. Straw man for the most part.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:33 pm 

Zythifer wrote:
Precisely.

I mean, Dawkins himself cites a few Christians who have truly well-thought out positions. Theology should be rich and cultured, and I'd think the people who take the time to study it, learn Latin, and whatnot should be able to churn out a truly thought provoking metaphysical argument. Sadly, though, they've settled for name calling and ad hominem that just happens to fill enough pages so some neo-troglodyte can say, "hay look, I cans red boock too!!11"

Oh, yeah. Guys like Thomas Aquinas and Soren Kierkegaard (Though I may not agree with them) gave somewhat intelligent arguments and philosophies in regard to theism, but sadly, you never see the intelligent ones at the forefront of the discussion, but rather these authors that choose to write what is essentially a sermon in essay form.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm 

Zythifer wrote:
Precisely.

Oh, yeah. Guys like Thomas Aquinas and Soren Kierkegaard (Though I may not agree with them) gave somewhat intelligent arguments and philosophies in regard to theism, but sadly, you never see the intelligent ones at the forefront of the discussion, but rather these authors that choose to write what is essentially a sermon in essay form.

They basically give their usual bullshit arguements a fresh new coat of paint, consisting of better vocabulary and arrogance. They try to debunk reason, logic, philosophy and Atheist beliefs, but can not completely do so, and also fail at completely defending their religion without there being flaws in their arguements.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm 

Kierkegaard makes a great account of theism. Fideism is an approach I respect, and as an extension of it, means there's no point forcing your religion on others.

LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:10 pm 

He is a Christian, Southern Baptist I believe. I'm not really surprised that he is a Christian, according to Bill Donahue "Fuck Jesus" is hate speech.

blackmage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 pm 

Great response by the christians
"Those immoral atheist assholes are calling my religion stupid and call me names so I'm gonna call them stupid and call them names NAHNAHNAHANAHNAHNAH!!!"

That sounds plausible.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 pm 

LSD_25 wrote:
He is a Christian, Southern Baptist I believe.

Somehow, I knew he was a Southern Baptist from that excerpt. Southern Baptists are probably the most irrational, fanatical, and dogmatic evangelists among mainstream Christian denominations.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 pm 

thomash wrote:
LSD_25 wrote:

Somehow, I knew he was a Southern Baptist from that excerpt. Southern Baptists are probably the most irrational, fanatical, and dogmatic evangelists among mainstream Christian denominations.

The ones I've known have been pretty normal
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

TheBlackPlague
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 am 

What is with all of this "Yeah, well you have faith too!!!!" crap? That's the equivalent of a "NO U" kind of argument

http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 am 

Seriously "the irrational atheist"?

Cos "This happened cos the bible says so!" is perfect rationale...

alexanderthegreat
Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 am 

I'd been meaning to ask this for a while, but can anyone recommend some decent counterpoint-to-atheism authors who aren't dead? I'm already familiar with Aquinas, but I'm getting frustrated with the number of theologians who resort to ad hominems and appeals to faith I tend to find in bookshelves.

I'm sure the atheists on board are familiar with the better examples of the opposition. :)

moses2792796_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 am 

Try reading Frithjof Schuon's "The Transcendent Unity of Religions". It gives a non-biased insight into the common truths that the major religions share. Far more advanced and interesting than anything from the Dawkins or Coulter school of thought.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:23 am 

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said. This book will be, more or less, a pile of long-winded, pseudointellectual bullshit propaganda.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:25 am 

in the end it will always be based on belief as you cant proof something like god.

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 pm 

Im wondering : is he saying ALL atheists follow this path of existence , or just picking out the most fanatical of these ?

"Oh, It's just the holocaust. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on"

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 pm 

I have heard atheism called a religion.

Bullshit. It literally means the lack of religion.

I just had to vent a little. What is this religious bullshit that they are pushing? It sounds like they are a little sore about not being able to do what they want because they are scared of some ghost watching them all the time. Get over it Christians.

-Sun Tzu

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm 

Atheism is only a 'religion' to them because they assume that if you're an atheist you subscribe to a whole set of political views and have a certain outlook on life. Atheism in itself is not a fucking movement.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
Atheism is only a 'religion' to them because they assume that if you're an atheist you subscribe to a whole set of political views and have a certain outlook on life. Atheism in itself is not a fucking movement.

Exactly. I spend alot of time bashing christians in Yahoo Answers. Its fun. Try it sometime. Make 'em squirm.

-Sun Tzu

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:23 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
thomash wrote:
LSD_25 wrote:

It all depends. Living in GA, I've met a good number of people that somehow fall perfectly into the stereotype most people have of fundamentalist Christians. They don't really seem all that unusual until you get into a conversation about an issue like, say, evolution. Not everybody in the South is all that religious, though. But, yeah, all the "crazy" Christians I've met have been Baptists, but this is more likely a result of them being the majority.

LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
thomash wrote:
LSD_25 wrote:

It all depends. Living in GA, I've met a good number of people that somehow fall perfectly into the stereotype most people have of fundamentalist Christians. They don't really seem all that unusual until you get into a conversation about an issue like, say, evolution. Not everybody in the South is all that religious, though. But, yeah, all the "crazy" Christians I've met have been Baptists, but this is more likely a result of them being the majority.

I actually don't think guys like Vox Day are in the majority of Christians. I think most Christians are rational (to an extent) people who catch a bad rep because of the louder extremist minority. "I HATE THOSE STUPID IRRATIONAL FUCKING ATHEISTS!!!" is going to get alot more media attention than the "live and let live" outlook.

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 pm 

LSD_25 wrote:
I actually don't think guys like Vox Day are in the majority of Christians. I think most Christians are rational (to an extent) people who catch a bad rep because of the louder extremist minority. "I HATE THOSE STUPID IRRATIONAL FUCKING ATHEISTS!!!" is going to get alot more media attention than the "live and let live" outlook.

Exactly. Though I don't agree with most of them on a lot of social and spiritual issues, they aren't really bad people

Dasher10
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 am 

I don't see why books like this even sell. The existence of any God or gods is irrelevant. People should just live their live the best that they can and live every day like it's their last. Religeon should stay in the home and the church so that we don't argue over shit like this and actually focus on issues that matter like the environment and the economy.

Scorpio
Healthy Dose of Reality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:25 am 

alexanderthegreat wrote:
I'd been meaning to ask this for a while, but can anyone recommend some decent counterpoint-to-atheism authors who aren't dead? I'm already familiar with Aquinas, but I'm getting frustrated with the number of theologians who resort to ad hominems and appeals to faith I tend to find in bookshelves.

I'm sure the atheists on board are familiar with the better examples of the opposition. :)

Plantinga is a halfway decent apologist.

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 am 

Dasher10 wrote:
I don't see why books like this even sell. The existence of any God or gods is irrelevant. People should just live their live the best that they can and live every day like it's their last. Religeon should stay in the home and the church so that we don't argue over shit like this and actually focus on issues that matter like the environment and the economy.

I'm going to ask if you honestly think the religious believe any of what you just said.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 am 

Dasher10 wrote:

Because sometimes people just think they're right so much that they feel free, even obligated, to spread the word.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:55 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Dasher10 wrote:

Because sometimes people just think they're right so much that they feel free, even obligated, to spread the word.

Blinder than the blind.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ksbluesfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:55 am 

I'm an atheist, and I am also a man of faith. I have faith that it will be dark here in 12 hours. I have faith that I will not run out of air today. I don't have faith in god, ghosts or visitors from outer space. People who can't see the difference do not understand reason.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 pm 

Scorpio wrote:
Plantinga is a halfway decent apologist.

I find him quite irritating. There was a debate between him and Paul Draper about how evolution factors into the Bayesian calculus of naturalism vs supernaturalism, and he completely dodged the substance of Draper's argument.

Here is a link to The Great Debate:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ ... ebate.html

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next