Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Noisenoir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 am 

PRISTINA (Reuters) - Europe's major powers and the United States said on Monday they recognized Kosovo's new independence, as Serbs reacted with anger and some states warned that its secession from Serbia set a dangerous precedent.

What I found rather ironic is the people of Kosovo celebrate their independance waving american and albanian flags..??..

Avestriel
Butterfly Sister Petunia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 am 

Noisenoir wrote:
What I found rather ironic is the people of Kosovo celebrate their independance waving american and albanian flags..??..

Well, the U.S. obviously supported their independence.

-{[(Frente Unido por la Verdad, la Ética y la Lógica)]}-

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am 

The smaller the states become the better for me.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:10 pm 

The US has done many good things for Kosovo in the past, they love America over there.

Strange Death Metal

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
The US has done many good things for Kosovo in the past, they love America over there.

You should be more specific, the Albanians love America over there. You could follow the reaction of Kosovo Serbians all over the news.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:01 pm 

Yeah you're right, my mistake.

Strange Death Metal

Knjaz_Milos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm 

Noisenoir wrote:

Shows their real goal: one great Albania, or aka a Mafia-rogue state in the middle of Europe.
Something in the interest of the US: they can have a military base there, and the Albanians continue to destabilize Europe with their drugs/arms/people-trafficking and the development of a extremist Muslim-state inside Europe.

Hence the US flags...

I am wondering if the Western world would also applaud an independent Hawaii, Scotland, Kurdistan or Basque Country, to only name a few??

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:03 pm 

Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I am wondering if the Western world would also applaud an independent Hawaii, Scotland, Kurdistan or Basque Country, to only name a few??

I would.

Strange Death Metal

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:05 pm 

Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I would.

Very much so.

Not sure about globalist politicians, though.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm 

Knjaz_Milos wrote:
Noisenoir wrote:

Shows their real goal: one great Albania, or aka a Mafia-rogue state in the middle of Europe.
Something in the interest of the US: they can have a military base there, and the Albanians continue to destabilize Europe with their drugs/arms/people-trafficking and the development of a extremist Muslim-state inside Europe.

Hence the US flags...

Not to speak about the fact, that the Serbians in Northern Kosovo will never recognize the Albanian central government. You have other potential Palestina there.

It would be interesting to watch, if all the Mexicans living in California would crete and uprising to show their true heritage and to demand renewed sepearation from the U.S.A. and union with Mexico for historical reasons.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 pm 

Witcher wrote:
It would be interesting to watch, if all the Mexicans living in California would crete and uprising to show their true heritage and to demand renewed sepearation from the U.S.A. and union with Mexico for historical reasons.

Come on, do you really think the two can be compared? Please name more than two parallels.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:15 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Witcher wrote:

Come on, do you really think the two can be compared? Please name more than two parallels.

A separationist movement can arise everywhere in the world.
1. fact - California belonged to Mexico originally
2. fact - the number of Mexican population is growing there
3. a minority often tries to demand some sort of autonomy, the history teaches us that, especially when it grows strong on certain area.
I am not saying, that it could happen tomorrow, but the Americans should look at it from that aspect.

The difference is, that Kosovo belonged always either to Serbia, or was under the Ottoman empire rule. It was never a state as such and even if the Albanians always lived in that region, their massive population has developed first in the last few centuries.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 pm 

Witcher wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Witcher wrote:

A separationist movement can arise everywhere in the world.
1. fact - California belonged to Mexico originally
2. fact - the number of Mexican population is growing there
3. a minority often tries to demand some sort of autonomy, the history teaches us that, especially when it grows strong on certain area.
I am not saying, that it could happen tomorrow, but the Americans should look at it from that aspect.

The difference is, that Kosovo belonged always either to Serbia, or was under the Ottoman empire rule. It was never a state as such and even if the Albanians always lived in that region, their massive population has developed first in the last few centuries.

The difference really is that European colonies can hardly be compared to Europe itself, because they had considerable less time to grow into what they are today. It just seems very far-fetched to me.

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:29 pm 

Anyone else find it ironic that the West fought Milosevic against his implementation of an ethnically divided Yugoslavia, yet with the Dayton accord and this recognition, they've done precisely that.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:34 pm 

I can understand Witcher's point. People who lived in Belgium during the independence weren't actual Belgians at all. They were and still are a mixture of people who gatered there from most likly German regions during hundreds of years. Another example is the U.S. they got their independence while the country was infested with the ruling Europeans and African slaves.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:34 pm 

Knjaz_Milos wrote:

:nods:

I would also applaud an independent Flanders, an independent Northern Epirus and an independent Texas. Smaller states are always good for me. Smaller states mean less power. Less power means less authority. And that's always good :D

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I would also applaud an independent Flanders, an independent Northern Epirus and an independent Texas. Smaller states are always good for me. Smaller states mean less power. Less power means less authority. And that's always good :D

Less authority - like Vatican??
States created by such nationalist movements are usually very far from anarchist utopias.
Smaller states do not always mean less authority. There are still tribes in the world, where the chief has a divine absolute authority, which he can exercise on a rather small ground.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 pm 

I don't particulary care about Kosovo being independent now, but I certainly think the countries that are accepting it shouldn't have done that so fast ... mainly because nationalists around the globe will be inspired by that and think they can get away with declaring an independent state.

Mors_Gloria wrote:
an independent Flanders

Why do people keep talking about this? It will not happen, nobody even wants to be independent, we just want more power given to the disctricts (in stead of everything handled by the Belgian government) ... now ofcourse there's a couple of idiots who really do want to get Flanders independent but nobody really supports them.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:23 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

States created by such nationalist movements are usually very far from anarchist utopias.
Smaller states do not always mean less authority. There are still tribes in the world, where the chief has a divine absolute authority, which he can exercise on a rather small ground.

Since when Vatican means less authority???

By less authority I mean both state and church authority.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:44 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

Of course, I was being sarcastic.
I have named Vatican as an example of miniature state with super authority.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:57 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

Of course, I was being sarcastic.
I have named Vatican as an example of miniature state with super authority.

However it is much easier for states like Vatican to be turned into small autonomous communities than for states like Russia and USA.

Noisenoir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:19 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

Smaller states also mean easier manipulation from more powerful countries.
Now take a guess for Kosovo, which examble they will fillow.?.?.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:27 pm 

Noisenoir wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

Smaller states also mean easier manipulation from more powerful countries.
Now take a guess for Kosovo, which examble they will fillow.?.?.

The most probable scenario is that Kosovo will be manipulated by the US and then will be merged with Albania. And I really hope that this won't happen.

Thrasher86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 pm 

This is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard of, Kosovo in no way deserves independence from Serbia. Important events in Serbian history are based right there in Kosovo, and the Albanians did not become a majority there until Tito and his government allowed them to mass immigrate during the 1960's so I don't see why they should have any right in saying how to run the government let alone splitting away from Serbia. This situation was very similar to the Krajina situation 13 years ago when Serbians made up the majority in certain parts of Croatia and they had no right to split away because that part was always Croatian and in fact Croatia's history starts right in Krajina. It wasn't right then and its not right now all its going to do is make a Greater Albania.

pbirv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am 

"If war ever again comes to Europe, it will be because of some damned silly thing in the Balkans"

- German Statesman Otto Von Bismarck, 1898

This definitely opens a can of worms.

Thrasher86
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 am 

pbirv wrote:
"If war ever again comes to Europe, it will be because of some damned silly thing in the Balkans"

What can I say we may be small but we are a pivotal part of world history. Also this quote is more relevant to World War I.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:47 am 

droneriot wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I would.

Very much so.

I wouldn't.

It would just be illogical, if every province or area is independent it would be chaos. you would have thousands of "country's" and it would slow down or stop international trade, support for third world country's and so on.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:57 am 

Kiwion wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I would.

Very much so.

I wouldn't.

It would just be illogical, if every province or area is independent it would be chaos. you would have thousands of "country's" and it would slow down or stop international trade, support for third world country's and so on.

Support for third world countries??? Tell me you're kidding. If not point me one goverment of a financially strong state that sends money or any kind of help. Only one.

pbirv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:20 pm 

Thrasher86 wrote:
pbirv wrote:

What can I say we may be small but we are a pivotal part of world history. Also this quote is more relevant to World War I.

For now maybe, but it could easily come to apply to this situation also, especially if the Kosovar Serbs secede and/or Serbia decides to invade- after all they have Russia's backing.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:14 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:
Noisenoir wrote:

Hence the US flags...

Not to speak about the fact, that the Serbians in Northern Kosovo will never recognize the Albanian central government. You have other potential Palestina there.

If the United States committed war crimes and ethnic cleansing of those Mexicans, and say the United States was a weak and unpopular power, than it's more than likely that the major powers in the world would be more willing to allow a separation. The reality with that example is that the United States is a strong sovereign power, and if there would be war crimes they would be hidden, masked to save face, or condemned with little power to do anything about it. The American people may lose faith in their government, but the state wouldn't fail.

In many way, it's a number of conditions which separate Kosovo's separation from those of other secessionist movements. Firstly, Yugoslavia had been an unpopular and weak state, compared to the rest of the world. Secessionist movements had already occurred. Throughout Yugoslavia there had been violence, and - despite a decent army - the government chose policies that were not well received by the rest of the world.

Secondly, because of how close Yugoslavia is to the rest of Europe, and of historical precedent in previous wars, any violence in Yugoslavia is a concern to the rest of Europe - especially given the situation after the fall of the Soviet Union. NATO would've been called in regardless. If this had been Africa, few governments would do anything about it. If this had been in the heart of Western Europe, North America or South America, the secessionist movement would've been squashed or universally condemned. More than likely, any violence would be considered terrorism, and the movements would be more inclined to be peaceful. The Balkans, being on the borderline of Europe, did not have that option. There were concerns that violence would spread outwards towards its neighboring weak states and into the rest of Europe.

Lastly, and most importantly, Yugoslavia used violence, war crimes and to a degree ethnic cleansing to try to solve the problem. Serbia now must contend with the blemish of such acts. Given the prior conditions, it's not tolerated. It's this which outweighs all historical or religious importance that Kosovo may have for Serbia. It's also what tends to separate most other secessionist movements (although, in strong states with high popularity there are cases of this, but they're usually downplayed for the sake of stability). It's for this reason, regardless if Russia pouts and other states are concerned, that an independent Kosovo is a reality. The West could not tolerate allowing Kosovo back into Serbia, especially given the majority (92%) do not want that. Nor would it necessarily be desired to have Kosovo and Albania 'formally' combine. Doing so would suggest the West wants to (publicly?) direct the sovereignty of other states.

As for the 4% of leftover Serbs. Despite many of them being poor and old, what will more likely happen is that North Kosovo will gain some autonomy within the state of Kosovo. The other majority enclave of Serbs, Štrpce, would more than likely be overrun by Albanians in little time.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:34 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Kiwion wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Knjaz_Milos wrote:

I would.

Very much so.

I wouldn't.

Support for third world countries??? Tell me you're kidding. If not point me one goverment of a financially strong state that sends money or any kind of help. Only one.

Well, we still have the UN, and we all know that the UN is "all talk and no walk" but with more and more independent countries, which will all want in on the UN, even less will happen.

After the tsunami on christmas, a lot of countries helpen those in need.....

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:49 pm 

Kiwion wrote:

Nah. Philanthropical organizations helped the victims of tsunami (and even that is not for sure). Goverments didn't do anything. However, I see your point.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Kiwion wrote:

Nah. Philanthropical organizations helped the victims of tsunami (and even that is not for sure). Goverments didn't do anything. However, I see your point.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/29/bush.quake/index.html

Strange Death Metal

Avestriel
Butterfly Sister Petunia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm 

EUSKADI LIBREEEEE!!!!

-{[(Frente Unido por la Verdad, la Ética y la Lógica)]}-

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Kiwion wrote:

Yeah right :roll:

Bush, the biggest philanthroper, would surely be the first to help.

EDIT: Bietan jarrai, Avestriel! :metal:

Last edited by Mors_Gloria on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm 

It is a fact that our government contributed to aid, as well as others. That alone invalidates your claim.

Strange Death Metal

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm 

It is a fact that our government contributed to aid, as well as others. That alone invalidates your claim.

I cannot prove that it is true or not. I was not there when the help was given to the victims and I am sure none of us were. Only Mieszko Talarczyk but he cannot confirm anything.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm 

:lol: You're daft. It's been documented.

Strange Death Metal

Noisenoir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:13 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Kiwion wrote:

"The president interrupted his vacation at his Texas ranch to speak with reporters for the first time since Sunday's earthquake-triggered waves killed tens of thousands of people."
I rest my case...

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 pm 

You had no case. Why don't you read the entire article?

*edit* Here, Uncle Wiki can teach you many things, too:

link

Strange Death Metal

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next