Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:40 pm 

For me it's anything involving breaking bones on camera or doing something to hands/feet - just fucking awful to watch. But I've still seen Brawl in Cell Block 99 a few times because it's just that good.

That movie sounds like Pontypool - another one I should rewatch... I'll check out that other one too.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm 

Yeah The Vast of Night is a great film. The first 5 minutes suffered a bit from the Gilmore Girls syndrome (me as a non native English speaker being utterly overwhelmed by the torrential flood of words from the actors) but I managed it, and it was worth it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 pm 

The Great Martian War 1913-1917 - Another War of the Worlds adaption, done in the style of a History Channel documentary, and a massive surprise because it turned out to be one of the coolest things I've seen this year. Expected very little, ended up glued to the screen pretty much through the entire thing.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm 

droneriot wrote:
War of the Worlds adaption, done in the style of a History Channel documentary

Finally, a good use for the Ancient Aliens channel

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:25 am 

The Monster (2016) - A girl and her young mother are tormented by a monster when their car breaks down in the woods. This had potential to be a decent creature feature but just fell apart in so many ways. There are a lot of extended scenes where very little happens and while these scenes occasionally do a good job building tension, more often they just make you want to scream "get on with it, already!" The movie drags its feet even more with the repeated flashbacks that only serve to repeatedly emphasize the strained relationship between the mother and daughter...over and over and over. Most of the flashbacks are pointless because their relationship was already well-established early in the film and thus the inclusion of the flashbacks just seems like a hackneyed attempt to drum up emotional depth. All of this would be somewhat forgivable, however, were it not for the stupidity of the characters...

Spoiler: show
The first guy attacked never screams for help (nor screams when the monster is attacking him) despite knowing that the mother and daughter are nearby and could easily assist him. The ambulance drivers immediately split up despite having no weapons and having just seen a chewed up limb on the hood of the car. At the end of the movie, when it's clearly established that light seems to draw the creature away, the mother dies in a pointless sacrifice, leaving her daughter to kill the monster with a fucking lighter and an aerosol can. That's right, the monster in this movie dies the same way you destroyed your old Furbies as a 16 year old.

It's unfortunate too, because the monster design is actually pretty decent. Likewise, I'm glad the movie didn't rely on the old "help is on the way, but doesn't arrive until the very end" trope. Unfortunately the movie just felt it like tried too hard to be emotional along with falling victim to other typical downfalls of this genre. If they had played it straight instead of trying to be something like The Babadook in the woods, this could have actually been a decent watch. It's not a complete shitfest, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it regardless of how much you love monster movies. 1.5/5

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That movie sounds like Pontypool - another one I should rewatch... I'll check out that other one too.

Nothing like Pontypool, really. Far more slow burn and just really wonderfully framed shots that lets the escalating tension grow from non-existent to something that fills your gut. Pontypool is excellent, though. Haven't watched that in years. It's probably more impactful today than it was when it came out.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:40 am 

Abandoned (2010) - Despite being a lower budget film, it is a very competently made thriller. Has a unique plot and realistic reactions but also had a few problems that kept it from being really great. The initial yarn that is spun was actually very well done and the way it played on the events really happening or not was clever. It does drop this effort halfway through however, which was a wasted opportunity, and two of the characters literally disappear from the movie, made even more strange in that both characters are played by well known actors. Decent little thriller overall. - 7/10

Also I learned that the last thing they filmed of this movie was the very ending and one of the very last lines spoken by the main character is: Going to just keep on living ... one day at a time who then ascends steps before stepping into a white light. While that is not particularly memorable in itself, the fact that the actress in question was Brittany Murphy makes that line and the ending quite sad actually. The last scene she ever filmed before her tragic death was her stating she was going to keep living.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:45 pm 

I watched The Irishman yesterday.

So, let's just get the elephants out of the way-

1) The movie is 3 hours and 30 minutes. I actually got through it in one sitting, but wow- it is a very long movie, and at times moves very slow (especially the last 30 minutes).
2) Everyone in the movie is really old.

So, with all that out of the way- I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. By far my favorite performance was from Al Pacino, who plays the head of a trucking union. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci basically played the same characters they play in every mafia movie. In fact, one of the biggest negatives of the film is that De Niro's character is supposed to be Irish- yeah, fat fucking chance I was going to fall for that. No matter how vibrantly blue Scorsese paints De Niro's eyes, he looks/acts like the Italian-American he's always been in every crime movie.

The plot itself is pretty standard mafia stuff- "feed this guy to the fishes, he's been talking too much and is fucking me over, blah buh blah buh blah" (paraphrasing). Might sound like I didn't like it based on that description, but honestly it's a formula that works and is always entertaining. It's been done to death, but hey- if the formula ain't broken no need to fix it.

The best thing the movie is just how cathartic it all seems. It really feels like a way for older people to express their outlook on being a senior, especially the last 30 minutes. If it's the last crime movie these guys ever do, then it's a great artistic expression to end on, giving a sense of completeness to a long run of these kind of movies.

Overall, I give it an 8/10.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:01 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Nothing like Pontypool, really. Far more slow burn and just really wonderfully framed shots that lets the escalating tension grow from non-existent to something that fills your gut. Pontypool is excellent, though. Haven't watched that in years. It's probably more impactful today than it was when it came out.

Just watched The Vast of Night. Really interesting film - super minimalist and relies just on people talking to convey the story most of the time. I liked the endearing small town vibe and the two leads were quite good and fun to watch. The thing with good stories is you don't need that much adornment. The writers of this one pulled off this very suspenseful, intriguing piece of sci fi with a bit of mystery in it without getting flashy at all. Fantastic dialogue helped buoy things too. Liked the style and vibe of the whole thing really.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am 

I watched American History X the other day for the whateverth time and I realized that Edward Norton had what has to be the best three consecutive movie span of my lifetime.

Rounders/American History X/Fight Club

The only other that I can come up with is Jim Carrey's:

Ace Ventura/The Mask/Dumb and Dumber (all the same year!)

Edward Norton's still wins.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 am 

My wife and I watched The Iron Giant last night, and it was the first time I ever watched it. I somehow managed to avoid this film for 21 years, despite being the exact right age for it when it came out, and now I'm kicking myself over it because holy shit this movie is amazing. It immediately became my favorite non-Disney or Pixar animated film, and it's near the very very top of the list of best animated films ever made in my opinion after just one viewing. It is an absolute goddamn shame that Warner Brothers fucked up so hard with the initial release of this movie in 1999, because imagine just how widely loved and revered The Iron Giant would be if it actually had been promoted correctly. As is, though, it's still a masterpiece of animation and film as an art form.

11/10

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:30 am 

Saw Adam McKay's Vice after the recent Chapo episode with him made me wonder why the hell I ignored it. It condensed about 20 novels worth of material into a 2 hour movie, so naturally the film would take an overly didactic tone (similar to McKay's previous film, The Big Short), but it hit the major beats, presented the disaster in Iraq accurately and even a Christian Bale hater like me had to give it up for his scene-stealing performance as the Dick in Chief.

Really good, maybe even great. I'd recommend it to anyone who seeks clarification of what the Bush Jr. years were really about.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 am 

I mean, the most inaccurate thing in the movie is its very premise ("Dick Cheney is a non-ideological person" is one of the strangest arguments I've ever heard), but other than that it gets the general sense of the Shrub Regime years right. Or at least reasonably right, given the film's narrow focus on one person.

Now, in contrast to the film's accuracy, the Shakespearean bedroom scene was unpardonably bad. Nobody asked for that.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 am 

Did Cheney really buy into the "we need a crusades part 2" ala Pompeo and Bolton? He always seemed like his religion was power.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 pm 

Subrick wrote:
My wife and I watched The Iron Giant last night, and it was the first time I ever watched it. I somehow managed to avoid this film for 21 years, despite being the exact right age for it when it came out, and now I'm kicking myself over it because holy shit this movie is amazing. It immediately became my favorite non-Disney or Pixar animated film, and it's near the very very top of the list of best animated films ever made in my opinion after just one viewing. It is an absolute goddamn shame that Warner Brothers fucked up so hard with the initial release of this movie in 1999, because imagine just how widely loved and revered The Iron Giant would be if it actually had been promoted correctly. As is, though, it's still a masterpiece of animation and film as an art form.

11/10

"Suuuuuupeeeermaaaaaan..."

*sobs like a baby*

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 pm 

I just saw Mario Bava's "Shock" from 1977 last night and it was EXCELLENT.

I've recently become a huge fan of Italian Giallos of the 60s, 70s and early 80s, but I've mostly seen Dario Argento movies and a couple Lucio Fulci and only recently realized that Bava was essentially the first to make one and I needed to start seeing his stuff so I've got a bunch of them saved on Amazon Prime on my Roku and I'm gonna check them out.

This movie is about a women who has recently gotten out of a mental institution and her husband died, supposedly of a suicide, and she's gotten remarried and they have a really creepy little 7 year old and a lot of weird shit starts happening.

From there i dont' want to give it away, but it's excellent for all the reasons that most classic Giallos are, from artsy and creepy camera angles, interesting use of lighting, use of repetitive psychological motifs, interesting music, violent deaths involving blades, etc.

I definitely recommend it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:57 pm 

'She Dies Tomorrow' is a hell of a movie. This is a wild, outrageous, sobering and yet reckless piece of film. Like a lot of my favorites it works the story, about anxiety and depression and hysteria, through emotional performances and conversations, and what's not said is shown on the characters' faces. Like the other Amy Seimetz movie I saw, Sun Don't Shine, it's down to Earth and yet artsy, and keeps you engaged through the sharp directing and dark, weird story. Really dug this. You can get lost in it.

Friend and I also watched Lord of Tears a few days back. Interesting old-school gothic horror, with all the requisite misty, aristocratic settings, plot twists and demons of the past. Some quite good, cool scares going on toward the end. I thought it wasted time in the beginning though, and never really established a character, instead focusing on archetypes. But I liked the good parts a lot. Freaky and absurdist.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:23 pm 

Rewatched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly today. This movie just gets better every time I see it. Virtually perfect.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:28 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Rewatched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly today. This movie just gets better every time I see it. Virtually perfect.

I rewatched the whole trilogy last month - the last two are both almost flawless and there's a real joy to the adventures they take you on. Just fun, badass stories.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm 

aloof wrote:
I just wasted 90 mins of me life on "we summon the darkness". please don't make the same mistake. interesting premise, takes place in the 80s, heavy metal, satanism, blah blah but it's total garbage. there's small bits in the beginning about 80s culture that might make you smirk, but once it gets going it's bad and it keeps getting worse and worse... :/

I ignored this warning and watched it on Netflix and mostly agree. For a movie that opens with characters driving, it was surprising when it settled down and pretty much became a one-location, one-day story. Those are especially hit-or-miss with me.

To really work, they need something special like an intriguing mystery (The Autopsy of Jane Doe) or a likable protagonist with impressive skills (Crawl). We Summon the Darkness just tells you what's up about a third of the way in then stagnates for 55 minutes. Pretty weak. 4 / 10

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:

One of my all time favorite movies with one of my favorite ending scenes ever. Sergio Leone was a goddam genius, and so was Ennio Morricone (RIP).

I was on a Scorsese binge the last couple of weeks, an decided to watch three different films, one I already reviewed up there a bit (The Irishman), with other two being Mean Streets and Taxi Driver

My thoughts:

Mean Streets- Great film that really does well bringing the viewer into the streets of NY during the 70's. This was one of Scorsese's first, and the limited budget is very apparent. There really isn't a steady plot throughout the whole thing, but tbh that's what makes it really fun. I like being able to go along with the characters throughout their world, seeing the city for what it was back then. It has a very authentic feeling. This is one of De Niro's first roles, I think he was around 30 when it was filmed, and man, it's crazy to see him that young :lol:. His acting is definitely one of the best parts of it, and I can tell why Scorsese and him continued to work together for many years after it.

Overall, 9/10. Very fun, very memorable movie.

Taxi Driver- So this is usually seen as the better of the two I'm reviewing, and is actually one of my dads all time favorite movies. While I found it to be a really good film, I also found it incredibly hard to get through. By no means was it because of boredom, but more because of how close to home it really hit. It's crazy, because I feel like this movie's overall premise has become more and more relevant with time, with higher percentages of people suffering extreme loneliness and the mental instability that can often remain undetected. It was akin to the time I watched Requiem For A Dream- man, good movie, but I know people that have had to deal with shit like that, so it's not fun to sit and watch it for 2 hours.

One thing i hated, though, was the ending. It feels like the executive Hollywood producers were just like "yo Scorsese, you better give a happier ending than that", and so he botched together some scene that makes De Niro out to be some fuckin hero. It should've ended with him going into the hooker's place, shooting the fuck out of everyone, giving that little "suicide" gesture to the cop, and bam-movie. But no, we have to see how he's now a hero and how the political volunteer that he wanted to shag now has the hots for him. It felt so forced.

I'll give it 8/10. A 10/10 for realness and sheer grit, a 6/10 for enjoyment. 16/20=8/10.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 am 

After spending my time with the MCU I decided to rewatch the other big events in cinema history, the Star Wars trilogy and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, both still absolutely incredible. Next up will be the ones that tried to be big events but failed to make the same impact because of their rapidly weakening sequels, namely The Matrix and Jurassic Park.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:05 am 

Black Narcissus (1947)

A drama about nuns who deal with their own struggles while they try to adapt to the surroundings of the Himalayas. Definitely started a bit boring I'll admit, but it got a lot better halfway through; one character that dealt with madness was absolutely frightening.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:37 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

One of my all time favorite movies with one of my favorite ending scenes ever. Sergio Leone was a goddam genius, and so was Ennio Morricone (RIP).

I sat there watching it yesterday, for the first time in many years, and I thought to myself "this might be the greatest movie ever made." Everything about it just works so perfectly that the flaws don't even register, like the obviously poor (even for the time) makeup effects or the mediocre dubbing. Those long and glorious shots that built up tension between characters, the way every character is instantly defined just by how they move their eyes, Morricone's brilliant score...

Like I said: virtually perfect. 9.5/10 at minimum for me.
Quote:
One thing i hated, though, was the ending. It feels like the executive Hollywood producers were just like "yo Scorsese, you better give a happier ending than that", and so he botched together some scene that makes De Niro out to be some fuckin hero. It should've ended with him going into the hooker's place, shooting the fuck out of everyone, giving that little "suicide" gesture to the cop, and bam-movie. But no, we have to see how he's now a hero and how the political volunteer that he wanted to shag now has the hots for him. It felt so forced.

I may be mistaken, but that bit of dissonance always felt intentional to me.
Travis is so far gone in his psychosis that he imagines himself celebrated as the hero he thought himself as, and not just a psycho with a gun that's finally doing some good deeds after plotting the assassination of that senator.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:52 am 

I just finally watched David Lynch's Dune for the first time. And I had read about them struggling to somehow fit the story into the limited time of a movie, but I didn't think it would be that extreme, it feels like half the movie is missing. Constantly jumping from one scene to the next with little connection as if some vital scenes in between were cut. Like watching a movie on DVD divided into chapters but only watching the odd numbered chapters and skipping all the even numbered ones.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Travis is so far gone in his psychosis that he imagines himself celebrated as the hero he thought himself as, and not just a psycho with a gun that's finally doing some good deeds after plotting the assassination of that senator.

That's a really interesting idea that I never thought about. Yeah- they're definitely is some room to interpret that conclusion, and I might just be looking at it at a very surface level.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:36 am 

Sea Fever (2019)
Fun Irish horror flick about the crew of a fishing vessel that encounters a strange, previously unknown bioluminescent creature that, soon, begins infecting them all with lethal parasites. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's well-made and has solid performances and writing. Greater than the sum of its parts. 7/10

Dead Shack (2019)
A lower-income family, and their son's friend, go on a weekend getaway to a secluded cabin in the woods, where they cross paths with a murderous matriarch (Lauren Holly) and her living dead family members. Mediocre and could've been better, but the kids are pretty solid and the zombie makeup deserves a much, much better movie. Good ideas, milquetoast execution. 6/10

We Summon the Darkness (2019)
Wow...boring tripe that wants so, so, so badly to be something that Adam Wingard or Ti West would've made without any of the vision that makes their work, good or bad, stand out from the rest. 4.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 am 

I watched The Color Out of Space, the horror movie with Nic Cage. I liked it. There are a few flaws in how things progress, I thought (the scene where Ward experiences some of the first phenomena just ends, for instance,
or how the scene where the sheriff gets snatched up just... happens, no build up), but I loved that it wasn't your typical horror movie (unstoppable killer, zombies or ghosts), the body horror element was excellent, as well as the fact that the color ends up amplifying the character traits form the family members. Of course there's also Nic Cage's brand of acting, but he was great in this role. I don't recall much of the short story so I can't really judge the adaptation. Some other good things: the fact that the color becomes inscreasingly present around the house, the possibility that Lavinia actually summoned the color (she got her wish, after all), the fact that it doesn't rely on jump scares. A few other negatives: all the references to Lovecraft get old (this guy is from Providence, he's got a Miskatonic U t-shirt, and look at the name of the towns during the weather segment!) and the way Ben dies (really dude, you gotta go into that old pit to save your dog... whom you didn't seem to care all that much before?).

I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Silan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 am 

Just watched The Lone Ranger (2013). It's pretty awesome. Once again, I'm reminded not to trust critics. It's almost as awesome as the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:57 am 

I thought The Color Out of Space was just plain fun. It wasn't really scary but I got to say "What the fuck??" so many times, which is usually a good marker for me. I am overdue to re-read the story. If memory serves, that one hit me very differently and I actually found it viscerally scary, as opposed to a normal sort of detached "Oh I'd be scared if I were them" feeling from Lovecraft's writing.

I'm 2/3 of the way through ol' PJ's Hobbit trilogy. My wife is obsessed and I figured I'd "suffer through it" with her so I could at least be like "Hey I tried it, that shit sucks!". For sure they're too long and most definitely a rather simple story got overblown into 12+ hours worth of blockbusting, but I have to admit...I'm enjoying it. I just sort of turn my brain off and let it wash over me. It always makes me want to draw. I really love the goblin town and how gross + ferocious they all looked (even though, naturally, they get bodied despite having overwhelming numbers). The "barrel" scene in Hobbit 2 Electric Boogaloo was just staggeringly stupid and hilarious, a pinnacle of cinematic art. Should be queuing up the 3rd soon. I'm genuinely curious to see how much further over the top he can push this shit.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:00 am 

Jonpo wrote:
If memory serves, that one hit me very differently and I actually found it viscerally scary, as opposed to a normal sort of detached "Oh I'd be scared if I were them" feeling from Lovecraft's writing.

Every Lovecraft adaptation should work like Sam Neill describing Sutter Kane. Really cheesy and stupid but gets under your skin somehow.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:02 am 

Color Out of Space was great to me; it was like what I always wanted from movies like In the Mouth of Madness (which I like but never quite as much as I always think I will). There was a real craftsmanship to it and how it just plunged more and more into deep hallucinogenic, bombastic insanity, keeping you off-kilter more and more. It was very bright and over the top but I thought it was just a marvel to watch, and Nic Cage was great to match all of the insanity of the directing.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 am 

Yeah In the Mouth of Madness is more like describing the perfect movie than being the perfect movie. It's like a mockumentary of someone just watching the most awesome horror movie ever, but it's not actually the most awesome horror movie itself.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:17 am 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah In the Mouth of Madness is more like describing the perfect movie than being the perfect movie. It's like a mockumentary of someone just watching the most awesome horror movie ever, but it's not actually the most awesome horror movie itself.

I'd say it's a 4/5 or so, but as it goes on it just starts to feel sort of weird and shallow, sort of like a funhouse more than a movie. That said, it's still very good at that. It just seemed to lose the character and plot in favor of theatrics. It's entertaining but always leaves me wanting a bit by the last act.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 am 

For me it's a max score, but as you can see by my previous post, it's more about my mind extending the movie than what the movie does by itself. Doesn't push itself over the edge of perfection by itself, that's my own work with thinking it through and visualising what's not shown and all. Which actually is really typical John Carpenter. Why he has such huge fans but no massive mainstream success, because he leaves too much to the imagination of the audience. And I dunno if that's a quality of his or a failing, maybe we'd be better off with him actually pushing his vision all the way through instead of spending half an hour on a Rowdy Roddy Piper brawl over glasses and leaving the audience to fill in a ton of blanks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:38 am 

That scene in They Live was a masterpiece of truly baffling insanity. I watched that for the first time a few months ago and my jaw was on the floor.

You're right that a lot of his stuff can be like that though. It's sort of a goofy B-movie quality I guess. That kind of thing where it's just 'let's do this because it's fun.'

The original Halloween and The Thing aren't though, I think. Those ones were bullseyes and had no fat and no wanting for anything to me.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 am 

I'm the wrong person to talk to there because the open end of The Thing made me write a fan fiction story about it.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp. ... s-among-us

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:45 am 

In the Mouth of Madness is my favorite Carpenter flick, even more than The Thing and wayyyyyyy more than Halloween.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:31 pm 

Watched The Burning today for the first time in probably like 15 years. Actually really fun. It's got the usual issues of these kinds of slasher movies, if you can even call them "issues" - sure, it takes a long time to get to the killing and the plot in the first half is extremely thin, but that's just sort of part and parcel with the style. It's trashy fun. The gore is better than usual, the acting is a bit better than you sometimes get with these things - it just feels pretty genuine and honest, and like they really wanted to make a quality flick. Plus the climax has some pretty stellar atmospheric visuals, so there is that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 765, 766, 767, 768, 769