Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm 

Count me in. What made it worse for me was in how solid a job Efron was doing with the material, it was clear he did his homework by the recreations of recorded interviews alone.

RE: not buying it
No, really, Bundy was a super charming individual. I remember the mild uproar over the movie depicting him that way instead of as a ruthless killer, but everybody who knew him (personally, professionally, and casually) called him charming. There's this dehumanization kick that a lot of folk like to go on when presented with figures that draw their ire (often deservingly so), but to have presented him as just another movie killer would be both disingenuous to reality and disrespectful to his victims.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Last edited by acid_bukkake on Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:35 pm 

Oh, yeah, should've brought that up. Honestly I clearly recognize his name as being like a teen heartthrob from like a decade ago (was he in Glee or something?) but the dude can act and did a great job. Especially toward the end of the movie, I guess because of that footage of Bundy being public record for a long time, Efron did a great job of getting into his mannerisms and facial expressions.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm 

Efron was a Disney star as a teen, known best for the High School Musical series. He's done mostly comedies, a few romcoms and a lot of raunch, since growing up.

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:47 pm 

Yes! He's a really talented actor! I was looking forward to the movie a lot because I knew he could play Ted well. Capture the crazy. The writing let him down, let the whole cast down. I think they were trying to capture the "public eye" feel from when the media circus was actually happening. It just didn't work. At all.

The documentary was so good, I honestly thought they were supposed to work together somehow. The movie was totally silly and lost all the impact of the story. When you drop out the gory details he's just a likeable guy hamming it up in court. Oh uh, John Malkovich was flawless as always.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm 

I'll always remember Zac Ephron best as Young Simon in Firefly. Hated the Ted Bundy movie too.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Hated the Ted Bundy movie too.

You sure about that? That seems to be the popular consensus, and you're agreeing with it? Something's not adding up here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm 

It's worse than you think. I'm agreeing with the consensus that you're pretty okay yourself these days, Zel.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am 

So Captain Marvel is, uhhhh...well, it sure is...I honestly don't think I have the words to properly explain how much of a bunt this was when they should've at least gone for a double. When superhero movies start losing their appeal and stop quadrupling their budgets? This will be seen as the catalyst. Lazy writing, a great cast that is visibly not trying, HORRIBLY LAZY FUCKING WRITING, characters that don't matter, twists for the sake of them, lowest common denominator music cues that never matter anyway, laaaaazyyyyyyy wriiiiitinnnnng........

This felt like die hard Hillary Clinton supporters wrote a superhero flick. Its shallow pandering and cardboard cut-out characters ruin whatever moments of fun exist. This is the neoliberal cape movie and felt like a commercial for Happy Meal toys more than anything else.

4.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 am 

Ehhhhhhh none of the "it's a strong female character!" shouting that the movie (and marketing? I have no idea about that) oozes really bothered me very much at all. I just thought it was pretty damn meh because of a couple of reasons: 1) Yet another fucking ehhhhhhhhhh origin story, the problems with which we've discussed in depth before here, 2) Setting her up as a Kree...spoiler...I guess?
Spoiler: show
when we already know that the Kree are bad guys, making the whole twist where they're revealed to be...dun dun DUN...the bad guys...completely free of any dramatic impact
and most importantly, 3) Brie Larson was just kind of dull in it. She's sometimes Tony Stark-style cocky, sometimes like kind and sweet, and always played very straight and boring. She's kind of like if they created an amalgam of every other Marvel character's personality, cobbled them all together, then sanded away anything too over the top, goofy or incongruous about the result to just give us...blehhhhh.

Not terrible, I guess, but also not really interesting at all either. It was sort of necessary to set up her role in Endgame, but a completely wasted opportunity to make her a character we actually care about rather than just establishing her as a powerhouse.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 am 

And Cap Marvel did virtually nothing in Endgame either.

Brie is a good actress though, Room and Unicorn Store and Free Fire have some pretty good performances.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 am 

I somehow ended up watching both John Wick 2 and 3 last weekend, at the behest of a friend, and it pretty much confirmed my suspicions of what they'd be like. Well shot, well choreographed and cool action for people who care about those things. I thought there were some cool moments but largely both ended up just boring me in the end. Just not for me at all.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am 

100% with iamntbatman on his third point and Aydross on Larson's ability. That's what makes the movie all the more frustrating: Boden and Fleck were handed filet mignon and decided that a Happy Meal worked better.

Vers has no unique personality. She smirks at everything and throws out a quip, but they never really land and those that do just feel stock. It's like Boden/Fleck went the Rian Johnson route of "here's what we expect and what we've built to but SWERVE TIME TO SUBVERT," only they never went all the way in any particular direction.

Re: Empyreal and John Wick
Just as a general question gathered from the clear differences in taste between us, but do you have a "stiff upper lip" about things IRL?

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 am 

Aydross wrote:
And Cap Marvel did virtually nothing in Endgame either.

Finally saw Endgame, and to be fair, I felt like most characters had little to do with the movie. It had one of the biggest casts of any film, though, and even with that massive run-time, they're not going to get everyone in there to a reasonable degree.

Spoiler: show
I thought it was a bit lame the way they had the "women attack together" moment, because it was too obvious to call our attention to "they women" instead of incorporating them fairly and equally in the climactic battle. Be sure, here, I'm not complaining about the women, I think the way the filmmakers incorporated them was lacking serious respect to the characters as individuals.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Re: Empyreal and John Wick
Just as a general question gathered from the clear differences in taste between us, but do you have a "stiff upper lip" about things IRL?

I'm sure some people would say so. I like what I like. Part of my problem with the John Wick movies is that they're so flavorless and bland in anything aside from the fight scenes - I'd rather have something like Fury Road for an action movie with all that shit going on, a totally garish apocalypse scenario, even wilder imagination, etc.

I can't even really critique these movies because they just are what they are, martial arts/fight scene clinics. I just didn't get much out of it. A few cool scene designs and plenty of fun individual action moments - just not enough to make me want to watch two hours of it. Not sure what your point is here - that I don't like your definition of fun or something? I dunno.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:59 pm 

Nothing accusatory, no, just curious. I've found that the people who enjoy John Wick as more than a collection of great fight sequences generally carry a stiff upper lip in their day-to-day life.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 pm 

I have more fun with unhinged horror movies or absurdist comedy than with that type of mindless action stuff I guess. I like words and stories and characters too much to really get into a lot of the martial arts stuff. Maybe I'll find some of that genre I genuinely love eventually.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:05 pm 

Any thoughts on the new Terminator?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:57 pm 

Looks pretty damned bad, and will likely be even worse than it looks. That franchise has become such a beaten-to-death horse, and the fact that this is a sequel to T2 that ignores all the shitty movies between then and now doesn't exactly sell it to me. I dunno, nothing about that trailer looks interesting or appealing (even the fucking CGI doesn't look very good) and after Terminator: Genysis left me giddy and almost impressed by how terrible it was, I think I'm just done forever.

Strangely, I'd give the time of day to that Arny Conan reboot/sequel that's been rumoured to happen for a while now.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm 

It looks like every other action movie nowadays, but without the knowing insanity of a Fast & Furious entry.

darkeningday wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 pm 

Eh, looks way too much like Genesys with horrible cgi. Wont be remotely surprised if it's PG-13 for "strong sci fi violence and language". Arnold probably wont be much more than a cameo. I'll probably just end up reading Infultrator.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:25 pm 

It looks like a movie I'll watch out of obligation, and end up saying "It didn't need to be made, but at least it was better than Salvation." Which is how I reacted to Genisys.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:09 pm 

Terminator is one of those franchises where I simply don't think it's possible to have a good entry in it anymore. The fact that T2 was good was honestly a huge stroke of luck. I mean, the plot centers around literally three people (Reese, Sarah, and John Connor, and possibly Skynet if you want to count that as a character). It's always, always going to involve one of those four sending people and/or terminators back in time to kill at least one of the others. The image of Arnold as the metal-skeleton'd terminator is so central to the aesthetic it can't be left out, and T2 basically went from zero to 100 with the T1000 basically being the most dangerous possible terminator without getting to purely silly territory, so everything since has been either a total rehash or a step backward.

Actually, the only way I can see them doing anything remotely interesting would be to go the Terminator: Salvation route but even more extreme. Far future, give up on all the time travel shit completely, Judgment Day happened and could never be stopped, Reese and the Connors fuckin' died, the end, it's war time now. Give us totally new characters just fighting a bunch of robots. Give the robots some evil plan like intentionally poisoning the entire atmosphere to kill off the last of all life or something like that. Give us some Mad Max ripoff lengthy chase scene in the middle.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 am 

As far as the CGI goes, early trailers usually feature unfinished VFX work. I strongly doubt this allegedly $200 million (!!!) film will look anything less than state of the art, especially with James Cameron's reportedly heavy involvement.

Regardless, virtually anything will be better than fucking Salvation, still one of the worst blockbusters I've seen and by far the lamest of all the Terminator movies by several light years.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 am 

Salvation was bad, but fucking NOTHING in the HISTORY OF FILM is as bad as Genisys. God that movie pissed me off. I was fucking fuming after I watched that garbage.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 am 

Yeah seriously. Have you seen Genisys, darkeningday? It's way worse than Salvation, which was itself straight garbage. It's no-joke one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

And honestly I doubt no one's more aware of how bad the last couple movies were than the makers of this new one. I can already hear people saying, "Well, it was a lot better than the last two, so I guess it was pretty good!" even though it'll probably still suck. I guess if you've lowered the bar in a franchise as low as it can possibly go, then you've left yourself plenty of room for improvement.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 am 

Yep, I've seen gensysysys twice and while I'd never call it good, the action was kinetic fast-paced and colorful and the movie itself was a lighthearted blockbuster cheese fest that tried to remind people to stop taking decades-old franchises designed only to extract money from your wallet so damned seriously.

Meanwhile, Salvation took its equally laughable writing dead fucking seriously as if every nausea-inducing line of dialog was ghostwritten by Arthur Miller, the cinematographer smeared dogshit and lead paint over the camera lens and the director (the infamous McG) told everyone to act like they were passing a kidney stone. It tortuously dragged on for what felt like hours until it basically just stopped because the director was like, "that's how long a movie's supposed to be these days, right?" I'd call it the closest to true nihilism film can reach but that makes it sound more interesting than it actually is.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 am 

Huh. Honestly all I think I can say about Salvation is that it was forgettable, since I've only seen it the once when it came out and almost literally can't remember anything about it. Whereas Genisys's shittiness is hideously fresh in my mind. I don't know why I took the awfulness of that movie personally, but I dunno, it just seemed that bad to me.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 am 

What makes me iffy over this new Terminator film is the fact that, even though it’s supposed to be a “reboot/sequel”, it re-uses story elements from the the other Terminator sequels. Like the fact that the “evil” terminator seems to be an endoskeleton surrounded by liquid metal, like the TX in T3. Or the fact that it has Arnold as an aging Terminator like in Genysis. Or the fact that the “good” terminator seems to think it’s “real” like in Salvation. That’s.....iffy to me. It’s like, “here’s a film with NEW ideas!” *wink, wink*

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:18 am 

Razakel wrote:
Yeah seriously. Have you seen Genisys, darkeningday? It's way worse than Salvation, which was itself straight garbage. It's no-joke one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

And honestly I doubt no one's more aware of how bad the last couple movies were than the makers of this new one. I can already hear people saying, "Well, it was a lot better than the last two, so I guess it was pretty good!" even though it'll probably still suck. I guess if you've lowered the bar in a franchise as low as it can possibly go, then you've left yourself plenty of room for improvement.

I don't know about "room for improvement" so much as "burned out beyond salvation." No pun intended. I think the franchise has been out of new ideas since the third movie, and yes, despite turning iconic elements into jokes, I will defend the third movie for the following reasons: Overall, it was still a generally solid film, and it finalized a point that the future cannot be completely stopped. After that, we didn't need any of this shit, and yes, I agree, we'd still have been fine without the third movie as well.

I could only get through half of the trailer for the new movie, and after Genysis gave away plot elements (that John Connor was a fucking machine) right in the trailer, I pretty much dismissed ever seeing it. I still haven't.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:26 pm 

The Perfection - I liked this more than other recent Netflix movies like The Silence and Velvet Buzzsaw. It was sick and twisted and I never knew quite where it was going, but it was always entertaining. Some of the more intense images from this will be stuck in my head for weeks. 7 / 10

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:26 am 

Terminator: Salvation was probably objectively worse than Genysysyss, but in the end was still the better movie for me because the chase scene somewhere in the middle was cool. Genysys didn't have anything cool at all.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pm 

Here are some movies I have recently been watching:

Violent Cop (1989) - Takeshi Kitano's directorial debut is a brutal and nihilistic film that follows a cop who tracks down a drug trafficking ring - 8/10
Boiling Point (1990) - Another film by Kitano that follows a quite outsider whose life changes drastically when he confronts a Yakuza - 6/10
Fireworks (1997) - Kitano's most popular film finds beauty in darkness and follows a cop who has to deal with disillusioned colleagues and his terminally ill wife - 8/10
Dumbo (2019) - Beautiful fairy tale for the whole family with stunning images and effects - 8/10
Pet Sematary (2019) - One of the few great remakes that convinces with excellent acting, gloomy atmosphere and great soundtrack - 9/10
Widows (2018) - Four women join forces to complete the last heist of their deceased partners as the movie starts and finishes strong despite a plodding middle section - 7/10
Overlord (2018) - Gripping tale of the Second World War that mixes historical events with an intriguing horror story that is much better than anticipated - 9/10
Into the Woods (2014) - A musical that references numerous popular fairy tales in a charming way but slightly overstays its welcome - 8/10
The Darkest Minds (2018) - One of the better dystopian teenage movies that convinces with atmosphere, characters and locations - 8/10
Kung Fury (2015) - Incredible fun ride that parodies numerous martial arts and superhero movies - 10/10
Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (1954) - Atmospheric samurai action drama that shows how the protagonist evolves from being a ruthless teenager to a desperate adult - 8/10
Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple (1955) - The second film shows how the desperate adult becomes a skilled swordsman - 8/10
Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island (1956) - This third movie shows how the skilled swordsman becomes an accomplished samurai - 9/10
Throne of Blood (1957) - Epic samurai film by Akira Kurosawa inspired by Shakespeare's Macbeth - 8/10
Black Butler (2014) - Based upon the manga of the same name, this period-style action fantasy film convinces with cool characters and beautiful effects - 8/10
John Wick 3: Parabellum (2019) - Relentless action film that is as great as its two vivid predecessors - 7/10

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm 

Brightburn is a killer flick. Pulp splatterfest fun and a fun twist on superheroes. More orthodox than I thought but it's the best 'bad seed' movie since Orphan a decade ago.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am 

edit

Last edited by StryckenFromHistory on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:14 pm 

Saw the Aladdin remake with my wife yesterday. Honestly it turned out alright, certainly better than the live action Beauty and the Beast which spent way too much time inventing new plotlines to answer questions nobody had about the original. There were a few changes with this one but they were all relatively minor and nothing really gamebreaking (although inventing a new character just to give Genie a love interest was really fucking weird). The only problems I'd consider major were simply that Aladdin himself was kinda weak (and a terrible singer, which made the big duet really awkward because Jasmin had a crazy set of pipes on her and clearly blew him the fuck out of the water) and Jafar was much less sinister than the cartoon and just felt like a kinda weird and unimpressive villain. Really though I think I'm just comparing it to the original that I loved as a kid, and if you take that out of the equation it's a fine kid's movie for kids nowadays.

I dunno, my wife loves Disney and she walked away satisfied so I guess that's a better endorsement than somebody like me who watches three movies a year and invariably hates two of them.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:40 pm 

I watched Get Out finally, Yeah, I had never seen it. I thought it was pretty good overall. Kind of hits you over the head with the racism angle, but there were some more subtle points about gentrification in there that I thought were well done. A slow burn tension-wise, it takes a little too long to get going. The time would have been better spent establishing more about the main guy Chris Washington. Daniel Kaluuya did a hell of a job there, and he deserved more. Story idea pretty obviously stolen from Being John Malkovich. 3.5 of 5 stars.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:09 pm 

It was a movie with a pointed message - it'd be weird if the message wasn't as overt and out-front.

It was a lot like Being John Malkovich but as a horror movie with comedy elements, the whole package came off as very original. Plus the social commentary gave the Being John Malkovich-esque plot a different twist and flavor to it per se.

Rewatched The Hitcher, Thelma & Louise and Hell or High Water as a kind of triptych of desert movies this weekend... The Hitcher is a surreal nightmare that just keeps piling bad situations on top of one another, and Thelma & Louise is a powerful fuck-you to the establishment - a bit over long but it's all good. Hell or High Water is just exquisite - really just a masterclass in film for me.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:02 am 

Brightburn actually kind of sucked ass. The kills were pretty good and some of what they did with the concept was alright, but talk about a barebones movie with weird pacing that keeps implying a more interesting film with throaway lines and plot points it never explores and gives up on. It felt like the studio was afraid of it being more than 90 minutes.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:19 am 

Watched The Invitation this weekend. I really enjoyed it. It's about a man and his girlfriend who are going to a dinner party at his ex wife's house. There's some really heavy history with his ex that they don't let onto immediately. The dinner party is INCREDIBLY uncomfortable, extremely tense, and you will spend a decent amount of time saying "WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE". But the way they play with the tension is great. The main character slowly but surely realizing something fucked up is happening. It gets weird.

It also has a lot of "Hey that person was in *blah blah blah*" which is always a fun game to play. It's on Netflix, of course. Check it out if you like the idea of a very uncomfortable, tense, reverse-home-invasion film.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:41 am 

I picture a reverse home invasion film being like a gang of dimension-hoppers based out of some Nebraska prarie homestead type house that just tears holes through reality into people's block parties or whatever, then they rush out the screen door in Purge masks with shotguns just terrorizing everyone while "Our House" blares on the soundtrack.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737 ... 818  Next