Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:31 am 

The Virgin Witch (1970)
Watched another old UK horror film last night. Upper class English witches with late 60's fashions, filmed in nice settings but with zero horror. 6/10 for the nudity.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 pm 

The Road (2011) - 0/5

This is a wretched Asian horror film that does nothing but depict grotesqueries for only one purpose - to show the progression of a serial killer, backwards. It's asininely simple, provides no tension or drama, sets up no captivating character and just serves to make you want to beat everyone involved with a hammer for how unpleasant it is. If you like seeing innocent kids in pain for no reason, and lots of blatantly displayed child abuse, with a very thin veneer of supernatural nonsense laid over top, this is for you. And if you like those things, you're probably a terrible person.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 pm 

Taken 2:
Didn't expect genius or anything, but this might be one of the worst sequels of all time. The first film charmed me because i think it had a real 80's vibe. Taken 2 did the opposite and seemed to just have shitty modern action movie traits throughout. Not much about this film didn't annoy me. Even the soundtrack was stolen! Semi potential very wasted.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 pm 

Saw Dark Skies today. It was so fucking Shyamalan that Shyamalan himself would blush at it. From Tarantino-ing to a twist ending to a couple completely unnecessary plot points that had no bearing on the plot as a whole to just the general gist of the movie. It wasn't horrible, and I've seen much worse in just this week alone, but it's not something I'd ever really watch again.

Also, the trailers for it were across the board really stupid. There were TWO boy band documentary/concert films they put in front of it, as well as the Scary Movie 5 trailer. Again.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 am 

corpsewithoutsoul wrote:
Last night I viewed Witchfinder General with the mastermind Vincent Price and was greatly disappointed.
The occasional one-liners were entertaining but I can say the same of little else in that film. At least the sensuous voice of Mr. Price helped to lull me to sleep.

I agree. I am possibly the biggest Vincent Price fanboy but I'll never understand why that movie is considered one of his classics. It was pretty fucking boring, at least until the protagonist and his soldier buddies track down Price and try to kill him.

Makes for an awesome band name, though.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Trespass (1992) - 2/5

Don't believe the 'underrated action gem' praise, this is not Judgement Night fun but a lesson in bad acting 101. Two fire fighters, Bill Paxton and William Sadler, uncover a treasure map from a suicidal priest that tells of a place in St. Louis which hides gold. They narrow it down to an abandoned building and go exploring, but little do they know of the gangsters doing a hit on the roof. You can guess what happens next and it's truly face-palm worthy to the highest degree, tv-movie editing and dialogue so shoddy you'll hit repeat just to be sure, melodramatic breakdown speeches that try to inject a sense of importance to a bunch of emotionally unintelligent children and none of the characters are likeable so it's all very dream-like and unsuspenseful. I gave it a two because it was so bad that it mildy amused me and had me laughing.

Yeah that film was nothing. Completely forgettable.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:40 am 

Recently watched The Decline of Western Civilization Pt. 1. It was sort of interesting, I guess. Not 100% sure if it was the director's explicit aim to make virtually everyone in the early '80s punk scene seem like a complete fucktard, but it did a pretty good job at that.

On the other hand, Pusher II was pretty neat. The first one grabbed me a bit more, but so far I've enjoyed the series a lot. The sheer amount of irresponsibility that goes on in these movies is staggering.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 am 

Indecent Proposal is a good looking and well made film but it suffers from one big flaw in its moral dilemma plot: the antagonist is Robert Redford. Seriously, what woman would NOT be seduced into such an experiment by such a charming and good looking man who also happened to be worth billions? Now, if the character had been played by an actor like Christopher Walken or Mickey Rourke then it might have made for a more intriguing story.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 am 

Movies of the last few weeks

Safety Not Guaranteed: What we have here is an indie movie that goes full hipster and never looks back. For what it is, it's decent. Jake Johnson is awesome in New Girl, and he's the best part of the movie here. As a comedy, it doesn't elevate beyond chuckle worthy, and the ending sucks, but it's worth a watch if it's your kind of thing.

Goats: This movie left no impression on me at all. It tries even harder than Safety Not Guaranteed to be all quirky and shit and again you have the case of a single character being better than everything else in the movie. Here, it's David Duchovny as the far out goat man. Vera Farmiga is gorgeous but isn't given anything to do beyond a one dimensional new age and worried mother. The whole thing plays out like a coming of age film we've all seen ten times, but executed with as little flair as possible.

Withnail and I: I loved this movie. I found myself quoting it as soon as I'd finished watching. It's a really funny tale of two alcohoolic unemployed actors in the 60's deciding to take a "vacation" to the countryside. They encounter many comical problems and awkwardness along the way. It's brilliantly written, the dialogue is sharp, and the characters are great. Especially Withnail (the man is utterly insane, and drinks anti-freeze at one point) and Danny the drug dealer.

Trailer Park Boys The Movie: I love the series and this felt like simply a much longer episode of it. Something I didn't have a problem with because it was done so well and it was cool to see familiar settings amd characters shot much better and more movie like. It's also interesting to note all the discrepancies in events and facts, something I assume they did for people who'd never seen the series (which makes sense, considering the movie doesn't seem to be part of it's official continuity). If you've seem the show, you know what to expect.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 am 

Watched another Netflix film called "Hollow".

Short version: A sentient tree kills lovers through cliche found footage antics.

Waste of 90 minutes version: Four Brits try to combine crappy horror and soap opera through annoying interweaving relationships with each other and cocaine, all while being attacked by a fucking tree.

Needless to say, it sucked.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 am 

I watched:

The Bay: Holy fuck, this is bad! I took a chance simply based on Levinson directing but the guy has evidently gone senile. The movie fails at everything. Absolutely every single fucking thing. It fails as a footage genre movie, it fails at horror, fails as a fake documentary, fails at science, fails at providing any interesting characters, fails logic. It's also awful to look at, has shitty pacing and a stupid story that looks exactly like what 3rd graders would come up with after going to a eco-radicalist boot camp. 1 out of 10

Zero Dark Thirty:
I didn't find the movie as compelling as I hoped but I thought it was really well done. It successfully builds up the tension despite going in the direction we all know it is going to. I do think the direction is a little too hyperactive, as much in the cinematography as in the script. You're bombarded with revelations, names, acronyms, locations, faces and images. This does convey the frantic nature of collecting and processing intel but it could be done a little more elegantly for the viewer. I also didn't find the main protagonist very likeable. But ZDT sure beats the usual generic movies so... 7 out of 10

Le Prénom: French comedy about a family dinner that goes slightly bad as everyone begins to slowly question each others' decisions and pick themselves apart. It's a "talky" comedy which may lose a bit of its charm if translated but I personally found it very enjoyable, even if it is nothing particularly special. 7 out of 10

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

As I speak I'm watching "Strike Commando". It's a late 80's Italian knock-off of the Rambo movies. Fucking hilarious for all the wrong reasons, including ludicrous "fall over and die" action scenes, utterly over-the-top "acting" from Reb Brown, and one of the most comically inaccurate descriptions of Disneyland I ever heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNdU8x2YfQ

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Taken 2:
Didn't expect genius or anything, but this might be one of the worst sequels of all time. The first film charmed me because i think it had a real 80's vibe. Taken 2 did the opposite and seemed to just have shitty modern action movie traits throughout. Not much about this film didn't annoy me. Even the soundtrack was stolen! Semi potential very wasted.

Couldn't agree more. Just saw this last night and was so disappointed. I should say, it's not like the first film was the greatest thing of all time (but was bloody fun) and I wasn't actually expecting much - most of what I'd heard was that it was just a replica of the first film, which is pretty generous.

The first film was enjoyable because it knew what it was; just essentially a thin story stripped back to watching Liam Neeson rampage through Europe murdering Albanians. On the other hand, the sequel was frustratingly overwrought in nearly every facet; the camerawork was unbearably overdone, the editing was so frantic as to be pretty much incomprehensible most of the time and as you said, the music was nicked from a very recent film (and when not, really uneven and poorly chosen). Just, eh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm 

I dunno, "one of the worst sequels of all time" is a bit harsh for Taken 2. It was okay.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm 

Whatever, I liked Taken 2. Just an action movie with enough going for it to keep me entertained, if a little annoyed at the main bad guy not understanding what scum his kid was. Liam Nesson and his soy sauce hair kept the movie alive, regardless of the holes.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 pm 

I just thought it was a lot more generic than the original one, which had some of the greatest action scenes since the Die Hard trilogy back in the 90s. Taken 2 was just kind of a stock action movie, also having one of the stupidest ideas for a plot ever. But it was still pretty enjoyable overall, and I had fun with most of it in spite of how dumb it was.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:52 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcYpV6DOXIg

Kick Ass 2 red band trailer. Looks pretty good. Definitely gonna see it once it hits theaters, especially since I loved the first one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 am 

I felt tentatively excited mega-hack Matthew Vaughn wasn't scheduled to direct the sequel, but Jeff Wadlow is actually worse. I think I'll just stay in and watch Super again, which is still pretty much the only DIY superhero movie (and believe me, there are fucking scads of them) that didn't completely suck.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 am 

Looks pretty lewd, over the top and retarded, but then again, so was the first one and I liked that one a lot. I just don't know if this one can really keep up the joke as well. There's really only so much you can do with a premise like Kick-Ass's.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I felt tentatively excited mega-hack Matthew Vaughn wasn't scheduled to direct the sequel

A mega-hack, really?

I've taken notice of this guy ever since his first movie. Layer Cake is still a favorite crime thriller of mine and everything he has done since is enjoyable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am 

Kick-Ass and the latest X Men movie were both awesome, dunno how much was specifically because of his directing and not because of the writing (in X Men's case) or the actors just having a ball with it (in Kick-Ass's case), but yeah, can't call him a hack when I like both of those movies so much.

Super I thought was crap. But a friend of mine has been trying to convince me to watch it again with him to prove it's actually good, so eh, who knows. God Bless America was a better romp in that style.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 am 

Chloe Moretz. :love: She's the only thing I really liked about Kick-Ass. Otherwise it was decent, nothing overwhelming.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Chloe Moretz. :love: She's the only thing I really liked about Kick-Ass. Otherwise it was decent, nothing overwhelming.

Jet. Pack. Rocket. Launcher.

:grr:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm 

Riffs wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
I felt tentatively excited mega-hack Matthew Vaughn wasn't scheduled to direct the sequel
Layer Cake is still a favorite crime thriller of mine and everything he has done since is enjoyable.

Awful, awful film. Stardust may actually have been worse. First Class was probably one of the better entries in the X-Men series, but it was still dogshit. How people unironically enjoy his stagnant, lowest common denominator trash I'll never know. I just wish he'd go back to producing Guy Ritchie's nonsense which, while still nonsense, is at least marginally better nonsense than what Vaughn makes.

I hated everything about the flashback sequences in Super--the way they were inserted midway into the film to force emotional connection, the obnoxious sepia filter they had, Liv Tyler--but otherwise I found it sincere and probing of hard-right denizens Old Testament-morality America.

Oh, and unlike the consistently pervy Matthew Vaughn, James Gunn was kind enough not to sexualize a pre-teen girl (seriously, doomster999?).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Kick-Ass and the latest X Men movie were both awesome, dunno how much was specifically because of his directing and not because of the writing (in X Men's case) or the actors just having a ball with it (in Kick-Ass's case), but yeah, can't call him a hack when I like both of those movies so much.

Super I thought was crap. But a friend of mine has been trying to convince me to watch it again with him to prove it's actually good, so eh, who knows. God Bless America was a better romp in that style.

Ugh, God Bless America actually offended me, and not because of the violence. I feel it's most telling the Reddit community apparently liked it so much since it's just a bunch of masturbatory "look how morbid/witty/intense we are!" posturing where all the jokes go so over-the-top trying to be funny they just come off annoying. It seems to pick up all the bad parts about "guy gets fed up with American materialism and dispatches his own brand of justice" movies so well that I'm still not sure if I was just Poe's Law-ed, but it was a chore to watch either way.

Hell, I had a better time watching Rampage, and when an Uwe Boll film is better than yours...

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm 

It was incredibly one-sided and biased, but at the same time it was a nice, vehement punch to some of the things wrong with society which, at the end of the film, redeemed itself by

Spoiler: show
at least having the main characters killed off at the end (i.e. it didn't try to say the main characters were really any better than what they were fighting against - they'd been lowered to the lows of society), unlike Super, which tried to pass off its main character as some kind of hero when in reality, most of what he did throughout the film was beat people up for stupid things like cutting in line.

It was crass, but it did what it wanted to do and was funny enough. Plus the acting was generally good and I enjoyed the characters, who had some nice moments when they weren't engaging in, you know, murder and whatnot.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm 

Layer Cake was a great movie, darkeningday.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm 

God Bless America did come off as forced but I laughed my way through it regardless, even though in retrospect it was a bit preachy as I believe Emp pointed out pages back. I'd totally see Kickass 2 as well.

Most of the movies I've seen lately have been documentaries on Netflix. Heckler was pretty funny hosted by Jamie Kennedy, who I definitely had a pretty low opinion of going into the movie. He still doesn't make me laugh very much but he had this dialogue at the end of the movie where he admits being a whiny bitch when he visits critics earlier in the film, it's pretty endearing. There's a very diverse set of people interviewed throughout ranging from Lewis Black to Carrie Fischer. So yeah the movie goes well beyond just like audience hecklers and into just criticism in general, with an emphasis on the advent of online critics which I think would be interesting to many people who take themselves seriously as a reviewer. There's some awesome live footage in there as well of comedians dealing with audience hecklers.

The People vs. George Lucas was pretty fun to watch as well, me being a lifelong Star Wars fan. They featured the editor of The Onion in there as a recurring interviewee and it looks like he's wearing a Pentagram shirt but it's a Brian Posehn shirt with the imitation logo. Anyways he's just in there for the same reason as everyone else because really the only credentials to be interviewed in this movie is to be passionate about Star Wars, they talk to toy collectors and fan film makers etc. It reminded me very much of Trekkies if Trekkies had an underlying agenda of bitching about Next Generation or something, I guess Next Generation didn't have nearly as much to complain about as the SW prequels but Trekkies is definitely the first movie that comes to mind. I had watched this because I had just recently been introduced to the Red Letter Media reviews done by that Plinkett guy and someone recommended this to me based off that, and while this was worth watching those Plinkett reviews to me were more entertaining than many movies I've seen recently, so yeah watch those instead.

M.D. Geist is an anime but it's a fairly well-known one, I got it in a 3- pack with some other movies that were o.k. too but this movie rocked! The main character is a super soldier who finds a futuristic body suit and destroys everything for the sake of potentially challenging himself in combat. It's a 2-part movie I guess, the first 45-minute sequence came out in 1986 and the second in 1997. They were both outstanding animation and story-wise, every battle is an over-the-top explosion and gore festival (well maybe not by anime standards) with inventive ways to raise the stakes on what I thought were really unique and well-written characters. I do prefer the first movie though because it has a rockin 80's metal soundtrack with both Japanese and English vocals, it's great. Not quite as good as the Transformers 1986 soundtrack but it's worked into the action scenes really well. I'm going to end up watching this movie lots of times.

Phantasm I'm ordering the sequels on amazon because they sound awesome, and I found a full length video of this on youtube so I watched it last night. What a dumb fucking plot arc this movie had. The way the characters acted, especially the older brother Jody was beyond rationality. The whole time there was a supernatural mortician on the loose and this dude kept trying to solve the problem by sending his little brother to his room. There was one slightly suspenseful scene inside the mortuary where this kid's being chased by the mortician and this metal sphere object, and the sphere object collides with a 3rd guy and like squirts all the guy's blood in his body out his damn forehead. That was really the only cool thing that happened in this movie, the dialogue was as basic as possible to convey what the characters were doing if not why, and there's a real lack of creepiness to this whole movie. The ending was the dumbest ending I've seen to a horror movie since Sleepaway Camp 3. I'm probably forgetting something though.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm 

Phantasm is awesome. The point was to create a not quite right atmosphere. I like it because it has a very dreamy feel, very surreal. The second one is as good as the first, but things get even more far out in the others and I'm not exactly a big fan. THAT MAIN THEME THOUGH.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
The People vs. George Lucas was pretty fun to watch as well, me being a lifelong Star Wars fan. They featured the editor of The Onion in there as a recurring interviewee and it looks like he's wearing a Pentagram shirt but it's a Brian Posehn shirt with the imitation logo. Anyways he's just in there for the same reason as everyone else because really the only credentials to be interviewed in this movie is to be passionate about Star Wars, they talk to toy collectors and fan film makers etc. It reminded me very much of Trekkies if Trekkies had an underlying agenda of bitching about Next Generation or something, I guess Next Generation didn't have nearly as much to complain about as the SW prequels but Trekkies is definitely the first movie that comes to mind. I had watched this because I had just recently been introduced to the Red Letter Media reviews done by that Plinkett guy and someone recommended this to me based off that, and while this was worth watching those Plinkett reviews to me were more entertaining than many movies I've seen recently, so yeah watch those instead.

The Red Letter Media guys actually interviewed the director of that film: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-b ... iscussion/
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

First movie I watched last night was yet another Netflix B-movie, this time called "Alice in Murderland". I watched it solely because of the name, and it somewhat lives up to such a stupidly awesome title by being a really stupid yet kind of entertaining movie. It's about a bunch of sorority sisters throwing one of their own, Alice, an Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party in the same house that her mother was murdered in. The only Alice in Wonderland thing about it is the characters dress up in slutty Alice in Wonderland outfits and occasionally quote the book. I had hoped that it would be like a B-movie version of an American McGee's Alice sort of scenario, like Alice goes into Wonderland and it's a hellhole of a place that she has to kill people to get through, but that sadly was not the case. For what it was though, it was enjoyably bad, with terrible acting, crap effects in hilarious death scenes (one character's death scene involves her throat being slit, except that the prosthesis and fake blood is on her chest, not her throat, meaning that when the effect happens and the fake blood starts pumping out, it's coming out from underneath her collarbone), and a fantastically retarded ending that makes no sense at all.

Second movie I watched was Lars von Trier's "Melancholia". THIS. SUCKED. It was 2 hours and 15 minutes of Kirsten Dunst being a mopey, depressed zombie while her family verbally abuses her for the first half, complete with the longest, most boring wedding reception ever, only for the movie to just shift out of nowhere to being about a rogue planet colliding with Earth. I do not like Lars von Trier, as a few might have guessed through my extreme dislike of Antichrist that I talked about a while back, and if I didn't have my friend Stephen with me to make fun of the stupid thing as I watched it, I probably would have started pulling out my eyelashes in an attempt to find something more interesting than the movie. There are really only a couple "art film" moments in it, those being the entire first 10 minutes which is nothing but a bunch of slow mo shots of dead birds falling on the ground and Earth being annihilated by the aforementioned Rogue Planet, and a scene about 25 minutes in where Kirsten Dunst drives out to a golf course and pisses on the green while staring at constellations in the sky. If you had cut all the fat out of this movie and edited it down to just the parts that were interesting, the movie would only be about half an hour long. All in all, it sucked.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Phantasm is awesome. The point was to create a not quite right atmosphere. I like it because it has a very dreamy feel, very surreal. The second one is as good as the first, but things get even more far out in the others and I'm not exactly a big fan. THAT MAIN THEME THOUGH.

Phantasm is fantastic. Such a cold, eery, and quintessentially 80s American horror. The sequel is wicked also but i havent seen the ones after that.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 pm 

I didn't find it cold or eerie, I thought it was choppy and the only cool visuals were the old funeral home they used, that's it. I love 80's horror but I hated this and the characters' haircuts clearly illustrate this was filmed in the 70's anyways haha.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 pm 

It was supposed to be sort of a feverish, dreamlike film, which it succeeded at. But on the other hand, if you think there was nothing absolutely gut-busting hilarious about it, in the whacked out imagery and bizarre shit that happens, you're also a bit delusional. :p I dunno, was definitely eerie but I wouldn't call it a very serious movie tone-wise either. It was carnivalesque. Very bizarre.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:12 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I do not like Lars von Trier

Do not let his two latest, admittedly shitty films deter you from looking into his back catalog; Dogville, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark, Europa and The Element of Crime are some of the greatest films ever made. EVER MADE. PERIOD. Stay the hell away from Breaking The Waves, though. Von Trier has almost no middle ground when it comes to the quality...

Still not sure how anyone can like Layer Cake; perhaps one of you could explain why you like it?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 pm 

Phantasm was pretty good. The crazy weird shit was nice, but I thought it lacked coherence, and the twist ending seemed a little tacked on. I don't need everything to be spelled out for me, but the weird shit should have seemed more interconnected and all hinting at a single terrifying truth, even if the movie never reveals what that truth actually is. What I liked about it most was actually the fact that the characters seemed quite real and relateable, illustrated by scenes such as the one where they just hang out and jam. I don't know if it was ad libbed, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the actors really were just jamming on their guitars together and they put the best parts in the film. Scenes like that gave the characters some real humanity, and made me care way more about what was happening to them than I would have otherwise, and really saved the film for me. I'll definitely check out the sequel if it's not a stinker, so far I've stayed away from it based on the fact that practically every horror sequel ever made was a giant pile of shit.

darkeningday wrote:
Do not let his two latest, admittedly shitty films deter you from looking into his back catalog; Dogville, Manderlay, Dancer in the Dark, Europa and The Element of Crime are some of the greatest films ever made. EVER MADE. PERIOD. Stay the hell away from Breaking The Waves, though.

While I did like Antichrist, I have to agree that The Element of Crime was probably a better film. It was like a noir movie seen through a fever dream. Very uncomfortable and disturbing, yet totally engrossing as well; I can't think of another movie that captures the same atmosphere.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 pm 

Layer Cake felt like a Guy Ritchie movie. The characters were larger than life and badass, the dialogue was funny, it had interesting twists and turns and more than one unpredictable moment, sharp story, good ending and it kept me invested the whole time.

Anyways, yeah Melancholia is shit, but Dogville isn't and I agree LVT has made some interesting films, even with some self-imposed limitations.

As or Phantasm II, definitely watch it Failsafeman. But go further than that at your own risk.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm 

I never said it was serious what the fuck?
I said it had a sweet cold vibe to it. Cemetary, funeral home, battling a sweet creepy villain. The second one is Rad too, so over the top.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm 

Yeah, sorry, didn't really mean to single out any one in particular here. What I should've said was that I partly agree with KC and partly with the rest of you guys...FSM hit the nail on the head.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
While I did like Antichrist, I have to agree that The Element of Crime was probably a better film. It was like a noir movie seen through a fever dream. Very uncomfortable and disturbing, yet totally engrossing as well; I can't think of another movie that captures the same atmosphere.

Yeah! Lynch has been trying for decades to re-capture that feel with varying degrees of success (my favorite still being Mulholland although Velvet's plot and dialog was probably quite a bit closer to TEoC), but yeah, I agree, nothing else has quite matched it. Both Element of Crime and Jeunet's Delicatessen are some of the only movies to pull off that heavy sepia tone which, while at first looking like a botched lab handling of the 35mm print, really contributes to the bizarre atmospheres both of the films showcase.

What other Von Trier films have you seen?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 818  Next