Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 am 

Watchmen was pretty okay, just like that graphic novel is pretty okay. I don't feel nearly as strongly one way or another about it as any of you do. It was overstylized but had a pretty good soundtrack and I still enjoyed myself when I saw it in theatred. If it's on tv, I'm not going to watch it though.

I watched Top Gun yesterday. What an unintentionally gay movie. The theme song is pure classic and gets you pumped up no matter what. It's a really fun movie and I always laugh at how paper thin every single character is. They just go with every cliche in the book. "He's a great pilot but he plays by his own rules, damn it!'' The romantic subplot is just sort of thrown in in a feeble attempt to make it less gay and there's so many "I'll pound his ass!" type moments that the immature part of me couldn't help but chuckle. The dog fights are awesome too.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I watched Top Gun yesterday. What an unintentionally gay movie. The theme song is pure classic and gets you pumped up no matter what. It's a really fun movie and I always laugh at how paper thin every single character is. They just go with every cliche in the book. "He's a great pilot but he plays by his own rules, damn it!'' The romantic subplot is just sort of thrown in in a feeble attempt to make it less gay and there's so many "I'll pound his ass!" type moments that the immature part of me couldn't help but chuckle. The dog fights are awesome too.

Wow Top Gun. Oh yeah, it's manliness was executed so poorly. What's better than going on a date with your girlfriend? Staying late to play volleyball shirtless with the boyz! That, the nude arm swips, and the patriotism oozed gay out of that entire movie.

Necroticism174's wingman is Metantoine!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am 

I would totally suck as a wingman :( I asked ortab to be my wingwoman when she'll visit!

I watched Wreck It Ralph tuesday, it was a quite decent animated movie with cool voice acting (C. Reilly, Alan Tudyk...). I enjoyed the story, it's quite original and can be interesting for grown ups too. The fact there's an AA like meeting for video games bad guys (including Bowser and the pac man ghosts!) is pretty funny. I wanted something light and funny to change my mind and this worked.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I watched Wreck It Ralph tuesday, it was a quite decent animated movie with cool voice acting (C. Reilly, Alan Tudyk...). I enjoyed the story, it's quite original and can be interesting for grown ups too. The fact there's an AA like meeting for video games bad guys (including Bowser and the pac man ghosts!) is pretty funny. I wanted something light and funny to change my mind and this worked.

Watched this with the kiddo the other day, enjoyed it thoroughly, and had that Sugar Rush theme song from the credits stuck in my head for days afterwords.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

I love this movie so much. My favorite animated film since Up; just a kick ass story and tons of fun to watch. Way better than most adult movies coming out now, even.

Watched Primal Fear last night, becoming one of my favorite 90s movies. Suspenseful and very well acted, even if I'm sure lawyers would call bullshit on a lot of the stuff they do in this movie. I dunno - I love the atmosphere, with the big city murder mystery going on, the religious intrigue and the unfolding plot little by little. Just a goddamned classic. Tonight I plan to revisit A Perfect Getaway and then Mulholland Dr this weekend sometime - will have to fit in some new stuff I haven't seen, too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm 

Primal Fear is notable for being the only bearable movie with Richard Gere in it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm 

Looking through his IMDb, I realize I haven't even heard of any of these, let alone seen them. Either way, he's really good in Primal Fear. Nice arrogant ass sort of character that gets some humbling by the end.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 pm 

Just finished watching Chronicle, and it was better than I expected. I mean, sure, the premise is pretty simple (what happens when you give unlimited power to teenagers? Or worse yet; what if one of them is an angsty milquetoast with tons of pent-up rage?), but it was exciting, had a solid buildup, and the payoff was great. Certainly an example of a well done found footage movie.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:57 pm 

Chronicle is one of the best character studies and stories about teenagers I've seen in a movie in recent years. I remember being just blown away when I saw that one in theater for the first time - good choice, dude.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm 

Aye, the character development was some of the best I've seen as of late. It was a very realistic depiction of what would actually happen if a bunch of random dudes got superpowers. Hell, the realism even applies to the climax of the film which, rather than being simply cool and flashy, is in fact terrifying.

I'm definitely glad I decided to watch it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 pm 

The climax and final fight is one of the most inventive things I've seen in a found footage movie.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:55 pm 

I didn't think the last third, with the fight scene and all, was as good as the build up to it all. But yeah it was definitely intense and pretty dark/gritty at times, for sure.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am 

*sees your signature*

You poor soul, you. I Know Who Killed Me was absolutely atrocious in how bad it was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am 

Django Unchained - 3/5

Tarantino's last movie Inglourious Basterds was a big, epic and quirky trip that really pulled together humor and drama to create a great film. This one feels a bit stunted, and not as vibrant - I've seen all of these tricks in his past movies, and done with more enthusiasm at that. This is at times a lot of fun and very exciting, but in its near 3-hour runtime Django Unchained just feels overlong. I liked Jamie Foxx's performance a lot, and Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz ham it up brilliantly, but still, it's nothing I haven't seen in other Tarantino movies done better. And the gimmick of using goofy music over serious events like slavery is just wearing out its welcome. It's way too pervasive in this for me to really get a sense of drama or catharsis out of what's going on. I can see that this is basically doing for slavery what Inglourious Basterds did for nazis - i.e. giving us catharsis by showing them horribly murdered by progressive-thinking renegades and oppressed peoples - but overall while I had some fun with this, I can't really say it stacks up to the best of Tarantino's work.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am 

I would dispute what you just said, but being a Tarantino zealot, I can't say exactly my opinion is the most unbiased one out there :-P

I've said this once though, and I'll say it again; someone give Christoph Waltz a protagonistic role already, for crying out loud!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am 

Pulp Fiction is my second favorite movie ever, and anything he does is compared to that one for me. Basterds was really the only one that even came close, of the rest of his movies...though I still haven't seen Reservoir Dogs/Jackie Brown.

Tarantino usually works best when he combines his childhood film fantasies with awesome characters and a plot that never stops moving forward. Django just felt kinda like a rehash without as much in the way of awesome characters. And the music thing was really grating on my nerves by the time they had a rap song playing when he was shooting people up.

Also, did anyone notice that Django's wife barely had five lines in the whole movie, and no personality to speak of? I mean come on. She's basically the reason we have the entire movie and she's bland as can be. I know he can make interesting/funny/personality-filled female characters - Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction and the chick from Basterds prove that just fine, as well as The Bride from Kill Bill - but this was just a letdown.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am 

Pulp Fiction, eh? Not gonna discuss that. I can't.

I will say though that Tarantino's style simply resonates a lot with me. His approach to cinematography and his "movies about movies" thing I find to be both highly endearing and infinitely entertaining. I'm also yet to see Jackie Brown though, and as for Reservoir Dogs..... Yeah, I think you should watch it. It's prototypical and a bit rough around the edges, but certainly worth it.

EDIT: I found Django's wife to be more of a plot device than a character. Didn't mind it.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Pulp Fiction, eh? Not gonna discuss that. I can't.

I will say though that Tarantino's style simply resonates a lot with me. His approach to cinematography and his "movies about movies" thing I find to be both highly endearing and infinitely entertaining. I'm also yet to see Jackie Brown though, and as for Reservoir Dogs..... Yeah, I think you should watch it. It's prototypical and a bit rough on the edges, but certainly worth it.

EDIT: I found Django's wife to be more of a plot device than a character. Didn't mind it.

Ha ha, why can't you discuss Pulp Fiction?

And yeah, sure, but for a movie that's really trying to be all offbeat and quirky about the state of slavery and all, it would've been nice to have a more full character. Especially since I know he's capable of it. It just came off as weak writing, what we got.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm 

Well, it's not that I can't discuss Pulp Fiction. I simply won't debate with anyone who thinks that it's one of the greatest movies ever, because I pretty much agree :-P

I get what you mean though, in regard to Tarantino's female characters. Diane Kruger and Mélanie Laurent were brilliant in Inglorious Basterds.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm 

You NEED to see Reservoir Dogs asap.
As for Jackie Brown, I think it's his most underrated movie and I like it a lot.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
As for Jackie Brown, I think it's his most underrated movie and I like it a lot.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am 

New Thor trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41qNcjDoc8

This should be fun, it'll be fun watch for hints for upcoming films.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:50 am 

Looks great. Loved the first movie and I'll most likely enjoy this one too.

Also, Christopher Eccleston. Just his having a significant role in it would make me go see it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

It does look great and I'm glad the original supporting cast is in it as well. It's set for a Nov 8th 2013 release though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 pm 

The first one was pretty lame, but that actually looks good. Mostly because it's actual drama and stuff going on, as opposed to the silliness of the first one...I'll have to see this one.

Watched The Hitcher and Mulholland Drive the other day. Both great, great movies. The former because it's a classic action/horror/thriller with an awesome setting, a fast pace and a Rutger Hauer performance to die for, and the latter because it is an artistic, twisted voyage into a young woman's broken mind and idealized fantasies. Movies like these just make me love cinema.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm 

Chris Hem...Natalie Portman is pretty hot! Yeah, the first movie was pretty lame but Thor is a nice character (he was cool in Avengers) and this seems to be a more interesting movie with a better setting. It seems to be as interesting as Iron Man 3. I'm a sucker for super heroes movies to be honest, they're highly entertaining.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 pm 

I love the scene in Mullholand Drive where you just have a random cowboy character saying cryptic shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm 

It's so fucking trippy and bizarre, and darkly comedic as such. But it also mixes in a lot of mystery and even horror elements. And then at the end it's basically a love story, albeit a fucked up, twisted one - but what shines through, at all times, is the very real, grounded poignancy with which Lynch tackles the subject. This is as convincing and realistic a film as any character study I've ever seen. It's really just a wild, insane film full of complex themes and interweaving genres. I think all I can truly call it, is art.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 pm 

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Despite knowing that saying this will make me a laughingstock, I'll admit that I... um... never saw this movie as a child. I just saw it for the first time the other night. In short, this is one of the freakiest movies I've ever seen. Seriously, what the hell? It just goes to show how much your perspective changes with age, because apparently kids don't find this movie all that scary. This is a very cynical movies, and a rather cruel one, although it does have a positive message. Gene Wilder was absolutely perfect as the strange, unhinged, bitter, yet oddly childlike Willy Wonka. An incredible amount of work obviously went into the making of this movie, and the whole thing is absurdly memorable. I just didn't expect it to be that dark and trippy. After having a couple of days to thinking about it, I've decided that I quite like this movie, and further viewings will be necessary to let it sink in. Therefore, I won't give it a numerical rating right now (not that I ever do anyway). Highly recommended to the zero of you who've never seen this movie.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 am 

I basically have two "favorite" movies. One of them is pretty obvious for my taste (The Thing), and the other is slightly less predictable. And that, of course, is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's based largely on Gene Wilder, who just absolutely fucking nails every single thing about the role and performance, but really just the overall feel of that movie is great. It nails the childlike wonderment, the strange, dark moments, and the moral perfectly. I would marry that movie if I could.

Long story short, good call.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 am 

Oh The Thing (AKA Jim Morrison VS The Aliens)
That movie is definitely in my top 5.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am 

Willy Wonka is one of those movies like Nightmare Before Christmas that I saw when I was really young, liked, and then never watched again for no discernable reason.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 am 

Caught the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation on tv. Yeah, the dialog/everything is terrible but HOLY SHIT the CGI is bad. Liu Kang turns into a dragon out of nowhere and it looks baaaaddd.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 am 

I think we can all agree that Willy Wonka is a good movie. Well, everyone except for darkeningday, who probably hates it because Peter Ostrum wasn't convincing enough.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:09 am 

Rope: Hitchcock from 1948. A thriller, all taking place in the same room at a party thrown by two college boys who have killed their fellow student. Of course, college and studying being much more prestigious affairs back then, it's not a frat party, but people are milling around in suits and older folk are invited as well, among them their professor as played by surprisingly morose and serious James Stewart, bringing one of his strongest performances. No hamming it up here. Shots are superbly long and a lot of the film is masked so as to appear that it's all just one continuous shot, but it is made up of few different ones with clever editing. Definitely tense and intense - more so than his later and more known works.

The Fortune: Crap. Dumb "humor" from way back when. Nicholson, Beatty and Channing really hamming it up heavily though I suppose one can't blame them since the writing is damn poor and the directing sub-par.

Salt: Meh. The action is alright if too drawn out. Everything else is just seen miles away.

Total Recall: The original. Quite atmospheric and a nicely written world, even if the holes in the plot and world-writing is a bit obvious. But entertaining.

Gangster Squad: A setting that I find interesting, decent casting - even if the performances aren't very strong. Especially Sean Penn is really hamming it up. A thug acting and speaking like that as a criminal kingpin and mastermind? Well, I suppose it is based on a true person, but still... Again, entertaining if ultimately forgettable.

Quid Pro Quo: A paralyzed radio reporter, who is stuck in a wheelchair, delves into the world of healthy people, who want to be paralyzed from waist down so they could be in wheelchairs. He meets a woman like that and they become involved. The film turns from a study of the phenomenon to a character/relationship study as he starts to regain the use of his legs, while she wants to become paraplegic. A surprisingly good film, though Vera Farmiga as the female lead is superb, as always.

Cool Hand Luke: It isn't a classic for nothing, though the anti-establishment stance is a bit harder to understand perhaps these days. Or maybe it is my Finnish-Lutheran obedience to authority. While the guards' revenge on Luke definitely takes a superbly harsh tone, it seems a bit too overstated. And well, you rebel against the established rule of law, you're bound to get rein in.

Jeremiah Johnson: Another folk hero who stands alone, against civilization. Well shot and good looking as well as morally gray. Well made, but ultimately it meanders around a whole lot without much of a point.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 am 

Chronicle was surprisingly good, I thought it was going to be Jackass with super powers but thankfully that only played a very small role in the film when they were initially toying around. I blame the awful marketing for my assumption that it was about a couple of jerks causing mayhem with total disregard for others, and that shitty rap/pop song in the ad only lasts for 2 seconds so it was hardly irritating. My only complaints being the CGI looked a bit bendy at times and the use of other cameras beside Andrew's felt unbelievable.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I think we can all agree that Willy Wonka is a good movie. Well, everyone except for darkeningday, who probably hates it because Peter Ostrum wasn't convincing enough.

It's a great film. Its Rifftrax with Neil Patrick Harris is pretty amusing too, especially when coupled with friends and intoxicants.

The Tim Burton remake however... :nono:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Caught the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation on tv. Yeah, the dialog/everything is terrible but HOLY SHIT the CGI is bad. Liu Kang turns into a dragon out of nowhere and it looks baaaaddd.

I forgot about that. You just gave me chills thinking about it. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Rope: Hitchcock from 1948. A thriller, all taking place in the same room at a party thrown by two college boys who have killed their fellow student. Of course, college and studying being much more prestigious affairs back then, it's not a frat party, but people are milling around in suits and older folk are invited as well, among them their professor as played by surprisingly morose and serious James Stewart, bringing one of his strongest performances. No hamming it up here. Shots are superbly long and a lot of the film is masked so as to appear that it's all just one continuous shot, but it is made up of few different ones with clever editing. Definitely tense and intense - more so than his later and more known works.

That's a great movie. it's very much like a stage play to my mind, which is I think a good part of what makes it such an electrifying watch...the performances are very well judged. I happened to watch this shortly after reading Crime and PUnishment though and I noticed many lines in the film are lifted verbatim from dialogue in the novel...I guess its'a fitting tribute, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Haha, I'm a big fan of the Mortal Kombat franchise, but that movie is entirely unwatchable. It's okay for a few laughs, but jesus christ, I'm pretty sure episodes of Power Rangers had better special effects. The first movie is really awesome though.

Yeah, The Thing is one of my favourite movies, too. Just everything about it is perfect. Don't make 'em like they used to.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402 ... 818  Next