Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 am 

I think the beginning really hampered it with some annoying characters and it felt a bit too slow. Would've liked to see more of the Strode family and developing that plotline, rather than the other stuff. But it got better as it went.

Spoiler: show
They didn't have Loomis as a hype man, but they had those fucking annoying journalist characters and that doctor guy and everyone else talking about Michael a lot - it didn't ruin anything but it did start to feel a bit pander-y for the first act. Luckily they got to the good shit later on.

I liked Hell Fest better in terms of slashers, but as Halloween is one of my favorite movies I found a lot to like about this on its own. Loved the creepy settings, Laurie's whacked out house, the wry call-backs to the original that popped up at random times and in clever ways, the amazing soundtrack - it had a lot of good shit.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am 

re: hype manning
i was more referring to when michael's out and about killing, the police find a victim and then donald pleasance just starts screaming about "we gotta find him, sheriff! he won't stop! you don't know how what you're up against!"

a big worry of mine about the film was how they'd fill the loomis void, since that's a huge part of what makes the originals work. i expected it to be that one doctor, but instead they didn't really try. and the film was better for it.

LarsA81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am 

Mustang - Turkish drama about five sisters getting forced to stay in-doors and then married of one by one. Very well told, acted and the tempo is great. Just a slow gut-wrecker!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 am 

theposega wrote:
re: hype manning
i was more referring to when michael's out and about killing, the police find a victim and then donald pleasance just starts screaming about "we gotta find him, sheriff! he won't stop! you don't know how what you're up against!"

a big worry of mine about the film was how they'd fill the loomis void, since that's a huge part of what makes the originals work. i expected it to be that one doctor, but instead they didn't really try. and the film was better for it.

Ah that's fair, yeah, they didn't have that. The kills did have a different feel because of it, now that you mention it. Michael actually felt more brutal in some ways. He just seemed to be fucking pissed off from being locked up for 40 years and it showed. It lacked the kind of slow-burn tension of his voyeurism but made up for it in brutality and swiftness.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 pm 

well that was weak and disappointing

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:52 pm 

Just powered through the entire Purge series. They're all mediocre films (some more mediocre than others), but hot damn, they have the best politics in mainstream cinema today. I think my favorite was Anarchy which, despite having the clumsiest actions scenes of the series (and that's really saying something) its spirit of camaraderie and respect for your fellow man was unmatched. Goddamn must this series ever piss off conservatives, holyshit.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:53 pm 

I've had a idle curiosity about those movies. Might have to give 'em a run.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 am 

I found the original Purge movie inexcusably draggy for an 85 minute "thriller." It kept relying on basic writing tricks as it tried and failed to create suspenseful situations. I don't recall finding it annoyingly preachy, I just thought it was a badly made movie with an incredibly goofy premise. ("Annual nationwide legalized murder for 12 hours" is harder for me to take seriously than the Hunger Games / Battle Royale idea, although YMMV.)

Is there any kind of consensus that the series gets better as it goes on? I saw the first sequel but didn't think it was enough of an improvement to keep going.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:38 am 

If you didn't like Purge 1 or 2 I don't know what you'd possibly get out of 3 or 4. The third is basically just a direct continuation of the second, while the fourth, despite having some of the most interesting ideas, like:

the brown people are refusing to kill each other and instead just partying, so the government has to bus in mercs and neo-nazis to have the bloodshed they were hoping for

and the best photography and least-clumsy action scenes, all of the characters are boring and their dialog is horrible. You will not give the slightest shit about who lives and who dies by the end because the movie completely fails to make you care about anyone--something that, imho, the first three movies did rather well.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 am 

I haven't seen any of them but "spirit of camaraderie and respect for your fellow man" doesn't seem like what the Purge marketing department was going for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:29 am 

I guess politically they're pretty liberal, but I always found them to be hugely negative and mostly focused on stereotyping everyone as varying degrees of barely-controlled homicidal maniac only held together by "the laws" which is stupid as fuck. Was always weird how murder is the only crime everyone jumps to. I think in real life people would just steal a lot of shit, and maybe fuck up their bosses' cars. But that wouldn't be a good movie.

Watched Fulci's House By the Cemetery and Zombie last night - both fun. Zombie was the better of them. Goddamn, he was great at these apocalyptic, gory visuals. So harrowing.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:03 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I guess politically they're pretty liberal, but I always found them to be hugely negative and mostly focused on stereotyping everyone as varying degrees of barely-controlled homicidal maniac only held together by "the laws" which is stupid as fuck. Was always weird how murder is the only crime everyone jumps to. I think in real life people would just steal a lot of shit, and maybe fuck up their bosses' cars. But that wouldn't be a good movie.

Yeah, but that point is brought up in 3/4 of them. A handful of citizens do legitimately purge, but most just buckle down or commit petty theft. That's even a major talking point in the second and fourth, and also the driving cause of why the NFFA don't want the challenging candidate to win the election.

The series is probably one of the most important in this day and age. I love them, warts and all. Modern grindhouse sensibilities with a solid budget. And Frank fucking Grillo.

Recently saw Halloween '18. Hated it. It felt like H20 with Laurie Strode going Sarah Connor. The ending was abysmal, Judy Greer's worst performance, and half the characters don't even amount to fodder.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am 

I don't remember it being brought up. Fair enough I guess. I find the portrayal of people in those movies to be terrible cynical edgy stuff and not reflective of how people in real life act. Plus everything else from the characters, action, etc - so awful. But you already knew what I thought anyway so eh.

Don't see how it's so important though. I never really see/hear them really talked about too much except by the kinds of people who just like any horror movies with zero standards, in my experience. Unless you just mean they'll be recognized for their quality in later generations, which I'd also disagree with.

Sorry to Bother You isn't a horror movie really, more oddball sci-fi, but I found that to address the class issues in a much more thorough and interesting way, with comedy and satire, than the Purge series' attempts. I guess the Purge wanted to be this pulp grind house thing or whatever but if we're talking about a message, I'd take something like STBY any day.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 pm 

Mind you, again, I've not seen any of them, but "people are inherently murderous without strong law and order" to me seems to be a message fairly at odds with most strands of modern liberalism (apart from leftie conceptions of corporate law). To me it just seems a bit incongruous.

You can probably tell I've been in the same idly curious mindset about the franchise that batman alluded to. I don't know, maybe I'll watch one or two of them sometime.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Recently saw Halloween '18. Hated it. It felt like H20 with Laurie Strode going Sarah Connor. The ending was abysmal, Judy Greer's worst performance, and half the characters don't even amount to fodder.

lol my experience of the film and yours are 180 degree polar opposites. I couldn't disagree more with every single word of this sentence. Maybe I'll throw up a mini-review if I feel like it later but suffice to say I've seen the film in theater twice now and loved it even more the second time, which has only strengthened my original perspective on the movie after I saw it the first time. Just about every single horror or slasher fan I've talked to has loved it too. Which isn't to say that everyone should love it, but if you're someone who hasn't seen it yet and are reading this and you're even the least bit of a fan of those genres, you absolutely need to see it. I am super proud of Jamie Lee Curtis and the rest of the cast and crew of the film for making history and smashing records with this film, because it 100% deserves it and is a further testament to its strength and quality.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 pm 

Is there anything you don't like rexxz? :P

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 pm 

Yes and I talk (and have talked) about them frequently, which is why that joke is older than the stalest of memes.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 pm 

Do you have any sense of humor, rexxz? :P

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 pm 

Yeah but I only laugh at things that are funny.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm 

You seem mad. Anyway, I'm highly skeptical of the new Halloween film. The trailer I saw looked ridiculous. An old Jamie yelling at kids to stay inside on Halloween.

Course the Blade Runner 2049 trailer also made that seem terrible somehow, and it was anything but that.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:21 pm 

I never get mad, but you seem like you're trolling. ;)

Anyway, the film industry is notorious for having trailers mismatched with films. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm 

No, just joking. Take a joke man. Why so serious? I even gave a hint with the emoji, good grief.

That is true. I'm going to go see it, but I just don't expect much. I hated A Quiet Place and disliked Hereditary, although it was certainly a magnitude better than A Quiet Place. The Predator was bad, but not unwatchable. Halloween has a chance to be better than all of them. I hope so (it wouldn't take much).

Last edited by kybernetic on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm 

Why can't I also be joking? Can you follow your own advice? I thought we were having a fun and playful back and forth.

I can't wait for Suspiria next, the end of this year is amazing for horror fans!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 pm 

I think it's your impressive ability to be 110% deadpan even through pure text.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 pm 

The only good pan's a dead one, I say. Or one full of bacon.

If anyone else has any good tips on horror films coming out that's maybe flying under the radar, I need to hear em. There just isn't ever enough awesome movies out there, and I always seem to miss out on a few every year. I don't really have the time or inclination to browse through a ton of underground review sites though :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 pm 

Two really fun ones on Netflix - XX and The Devil's Candy. Saw em earlier in the year and will be rewatching for Halloween. More good new shit.

And Ari Aster, Hereditary director, has a new one coming out next year that sounds killer already: https://news.avclub.com/ari-asters-scan ... 1829966291

I can't see anything that hateable about the new Halloween. I haven't seen some of the old sequels in years but this one seems much sharper, more entertaining and better directed than the majority of my remembrance of those films. It wasn't a home run knock out of the park for me but I can see myself re-watching it alongside the first one, which was the only one before this I ever watched often.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Mind you, again, I've not seen any of them, but "people are inherently murderous without strong law and order" to me seems to be a message fairly at odds with most strands of modern liberalism (apart from leftie conceptions of corporate law). To me it just seems a bit incongruous.

The Purge as a concept is an allegory for Reaganomics, class warfare, and neo-con propaganda. It's not even thinly veiled, at that. It's made clear in 3/4 of them if you pay a little attention to the protagonists and their plight.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm 

rexxz wrote:
If anyone else has any good tips on horror films coming out that's maybe flying under the radar, I need to hear em. There just isn't ever enough awesome movies out there, and I always seem to miss out on a few every year. I don't really have the time or inclination to browse through a ton of underground review sites though :(

I hear ya about there being too many movie sites, but I find this former Aint It Cool writer useful:

https://mlmillerwrites.com/

He does a "Top 31 Horror Movies of the Past Year" countdown every October. Despite frequent disagreement with his rankings, it's a handy way to hear about titles I'd otherwise ignore. He's about 2 / 3 of the way through this year's list, and these are the ones he's mentioned that I saw and liked the best.

The Babysitter
Tonight She Comes (Basically what a 15 year old boy would create if you gave him good fake blood effects and told him to make the grossest movie he could think of)
The Ritual
Better Watch Out (Trailer gives away FAR too much)

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
..I hated A Quiet Place and disliked Hereditary, although it was certainly a magnitude better than A Quiet Place...

Good grief, Hereditary was better than something? A Quiet Place must be atrocious.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 pm 

GTog wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:
..I hated A Quiet Place and disliked Hereditary, although it was certainly a magnitude better than A Quiet Place...

Good grief, Hereditary was better than something? A Quiet Place must be atrocious.

What kinds of horror movies do you like if you think it was that atrocious? Honestly curious.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 am 

Well, I won't see my son next weekend, so it looks like the R-rated Halloween I had planned for him is already winding down.

Here's all he got to see this year:
Phantasm
Day of the Dead
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (we're fans of the original show, also)
Night of the Creeps
Child's Play 2
Nightmare on Elm Street (the original)

The last "new" movies I saw (as in, stuff I hadn't seen before) cover these gems:

Mandy
Nic Cage's blank, haze-like stares as he revenge-murders his way through a drug-fueled lunatic religious cult was slow moving, but fascinating, hypnotic, and wild. A unique revenge/horror film in the annals of the genre, very heavy on style and methodically assembled. Some simply outstanding scenes and shots throughout. Slow moments punctuated by either stark action, eerie settings and characters, or wacky humor. Now, if only Goblin Cheddar was real.

Hardware
I learned of this movie because of the documentary about Richard Stanley's ill-fated Island of Dr. Moreau. It finally appeared on a streaming service where I don't have to pay extra, so I threw it on right away. I was thrilled to see Lemmy, even for a tiny cameo, show up as a water taxi driver. The film was not what I was expecting, but really called on my gen-x nostalgia--the gritty cyber-punkish movies that we had then, the new then young filmmakers that actually appealed to the generation, etc. A murder-machine rebuilds itself and wreaks havoc on a woman's apartment, kills a few people is surprisingly gory ways. Imperfect, and some stilted acting, but overall pretty good. Nice aesthetics. Clearly heavy in it's indie roots and feel of the era.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:46 am 

Quote:

Quote:
What kinds of horror movies do you like if you think it was that atrocious? Honestly curious.

I like horror movies that are not boring, mainly. I'm not what you would call an aficionado. Hereditary was 45 minutes worth of story stretched out into 90 minutes. It's the kind of movie that happens when a film maker has a great idea but no ability to execute it. Go watch The Boy on Netflix for another example. There were lots of good bits, mainly in the last act, but not enough substance to justify it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 am 

Well I'm not looking to watch movies that are boring. I disagree completely with your assessment and found it to be engrossing the whole time. The family drama and characters mixed with the supernatural was done really well throughout and it handled grief and seething familial resentment much better than many other films manage.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:45 am 

By contrast, the last two horror/spooky movies I saw that I liked were The Witch (VVitch, whichever) and The Ritual. Both were also slow burn, no jump scares, heavy on the characters.

What was the difference between those two and Hereditary/The Boy? I'm not sure I could put my finger on it. Two were boring, and two were not.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am 

I like all the ones we're talking about that I've seen, though I haven't seen The Boy. The Ritual was a disappointment compared to the book for me, as it left out most of the actual character development and seemed like it was way too short in comparison to the story I remembered, but that's not really a standard I can really argue with anyone who hadn't read the book. It was pretty solid as a movie though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 pm 

I lump The VVitch in with Hereditary, personally. Agreed with the assessment of content versus runtime, too. It's the same issue I have with most arthouse horror: there's enough content for a short film and it feels stretched out to feature length.

GTog, I recommend my two favorites of the past few years, The Void and Baskin. I have a knack for nightmare horror that knows how to build toward fever pitches, which both of those accomplish wonderfully, but a major part of the style is how random things can seem at times and how laser focused they can be at others.

darkeningday wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm 

I lump The Witch in with Hereditary, personally, as the two best horror movies of the decade. After watching it again, I think I've decided that Hereditary comes out on top. Beside myself with excitement to see the next films from those two directors.

Damn though, I saw Mandy the other day and didn't love it like I thought I would. It was wild and crazy and entertaining, but I just didn't love it. Clearly most people disagree, but I just wish it took itself a bit more seriously. I love a good horror/comedy, but this mostly felt like a feature-length internet meme to me. It was too ironic, too self-aware, too on the nose, etc.

I also didn't know anything about the story before going in and was surprised that it was essentially John Wick but with Nicholas Cage instead of Keanu Reeves (plus a lot of LSD). Nothing wrong with a straightforward revenge story, but I dunno, also seemed a bit light to me.

Very cool visuals though, great soundtrack, and some undeniably unforgettable scenes. I liked it, but I wouldn't say I'm part of its cult following.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 pm 

I can see that, but I think it's what I actually liked about it - the insane drug-fueled shit and the whacko visuals made it ten times more entertaining than the po-faced ultra-serious boredom of John Wick for me.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 pm 

I went to see First Man last night. I knew going in it was going to be completely pointless and boring. Why would I still go? Well, it was a night out, and I try to see everything that eventually gets nominated for an Oscar because of an Oscar party/pool I host every year. I know it's going to get nominated for a ton of awards (sound edit/mix, director, probably lead actor as well); but MAN it was even more boring and useless than I thought it was going to be. They really are running out of Biopics to make, huh?

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 pm 

Underwhelmed by a couple of movies that seemed right up my alley. I might be falling into the pattern of watching things just to cross them off my list, even if I'm not really in movie mood at the time. With that said...

Night of the Demons (1988) - This took forever to get going, and even when it did it wasn't that exciting. It's just been a few days since I saw it and the only notable things I can remember are this effect and Linnea Quigley's odd delivery, which IIRC another character pointed out in the superior Return of the Living Dead.

Summer of 84 - It wouldn't be fair to compare this to Turbo Kid (same directing trio), but I will compare it to that Shia LaBeef movie from a decade ago, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. OK but seriously though, I remember liking Disturbia more among "My neighbor is a serial killer" flicks. The romantic interest in Summer of 84 was written in so awkwardly, I didn't even know why she was in the movie. I'll give it some credit for having a gutsy ending at least.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 714, 715, 716, 717, 718, 719, 720 ... 818  Next