Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:36 pm 

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - I guess this is based on a Shirley Jackson novel? I liked Netflix's Haunting of Hill House adaptation, but found this rather dull. 5 / 10

Breakdown - Cool, it's still the same effective thriller I remember it being from years ago. You got Kurt Russell as the ordinary guy in an impossible situation, and JT Walsh creepy and intimidating in one of his last roles. 7 / 10

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:13 am 

^I've never seen Breakdown but just watched a trailer and it looks pretty good! Added to my ever-growing watchlist. :)

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:13 pm 

Breakdown is the best Kurt Russell movie nobody remembers.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:50 pm 

I saw the final 20 minutes of Breakdown (and what an awesome ending) as a kid and for YEARS I had no idea what movie it was. I was finally able to solve the mystery in 2017, watched the whole thing and loved it. Absolutely need to rewatch it again one of these days.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 am 

My wife and I watched The Lost Boys tonight for the first time in several years. I was very surprised by how simple and quick the climax was. Modern movies would make it so that the villains have several near-wins and danger moments followed by hope spots for the protagonists, but all the vampires went down quite quickly and without that much of a struggle. I also found myself HATING the mother character for being such an aloof nag the entire movie. Even during the revelations at the very end, she was just shrieking like a banshee, not knowing what was going on even as the other characters were explaining to her what was going on. In terms of the horror/comedy balance, pretty much all the comedy moments in the movie are contained to the climax. The entire rest of the movie before that is pretty much straight horror, aside from some moments with the Frog brothers, which I really liked considering my memories of the movie made me believe that the whole movie combined horror and comedy. I'm a huge sucker for the sort of modern/urban gothic aesthetic a movie like this is drenched in, so that still took me in as it did years ago as well. I actually liked the movie more now than I remember liking it as a high schooler, which is when I last saw it, and if I had to rate it, I'd probably give it an 8.5/10.

Also, this movie is EXCRUCIATINGLY 80s. Corey Haim's clothing choices in particular are a massive fucking eyesore, and they somehow get worse as the movie goes on.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 am 

Stuff I watched tonight:

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers: basically a dumb fucking mess with faceless characters and STUPID plot decisions. Bottom of the barrel Halloween fare.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II: a fucking masterpiece. The budget went into three places; casting, writing, and kills. You can't ask for better 80s slasher-style horror.

Slumber Party Massacre II: it's good but it's nothing like the original. I went into it expecting something similar to the slashathon of the first entry and that hurt my enjoyment of it quite a bit. It's still incredibly imaginative and unique, I guarantee you haven't seen anything like this... unless you've seen all the NOES movies I guess. But it has a unique style and it's enjoyable on its own, perhaps even more-so if you haven't seen the first one because they're completely unrelated.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 am 

Subrick wrote:
Modern movies would make it so that the villains have several near-wins and danger moments followed by hope spots for the protagonists,

I honestly can't stand that anymore since the last Hobbit movie made an entire movie out of that.

"We're winning, oh no there's more orcs. Now we're losing, oh look it's the elves. We're winning again, oh no there's earthworms and stuff. We're losing again, oh look it's more dwarves. We're winning again, oh no there's more dark evil things. We're losing again, oh look it's the Klingons. We're winning again, oh no there's Thanos. We're losing again, oh look it's the people's front of Judea..."

And I think one of Peter Jackson's next projects will be a biopic about The Eagles just so he can have more people say "look it's the eagles!!"

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 am 

Subrick wrote:
My wife and I watched The Lost Boys tonight...

That movie was filmed in my hometown (Santa Cruz, CA) so it's quite a classic there. The Boardwalk - where much of the movie takes place - shows it for free every summer on a giant inflatable movie screen out on the beach. Good times. :)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 pm 

The best part of Lost Boys is the epic sax man who still believes. I still believe too, man.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm 

The best part is he still looks like he did in the movie, and his primary gig is just being the oily muscled saxophone guy from The Lost Boys.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The best part of Lost Boys is the epic sax man who still believes. I still believe too, man.

QFT. I still believe.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I saw the final 20 minutes of Breakdown (and what an awesome ending) as a kid and for YEARS I had no idea what movie it was. I was finally able to solve the mystery in 2017, watched the whole thing and loved it. Absolutely need to rewatch it again one of these days.

The ending kicks ass, probably one of the best bad guys comeuppances on cinema's history

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am 

Getting very into Halloween themes now.

The Conjuring - I thought I hadn't seen it, but apparently I had and forgot. Remembered a shitload of scenes, just not the overall film. I think it's because it feels like it actually loses steam in the end by going full "possessed mom needs exorcism" part. It started out more subtle and creepy, and then turned into an effects spectacle. In real life, the Warrens are just a couple silly fantasy-prone people at best. Typical psychic scammers at worst. Overall, decent, but not without it's issues.

The Last Exorcism - Surprisingly solid for a PG-13 film. Great story and build-up, love the skeptical angle. The last 5 minutes are hit-or-miss. I would have preferred the film to stop just after a major revelation. At the same time, the ending can still be entertaining.
Spoiler: show
The revelation that it was that other pastor the whole time, not the father or the teenage boy, and stopping there, the film would have been perfect.

American Werewolf in London - A classic and a favorite. Showed it to my girlfriend, who also liked it. Upon this latest viewing, it's less of a horror film in that it's not scary, but that it's horror-themed character study. Which I suppose is one of the better ways to do a werewolf film. The fear of the change, the horror of what's happening. The body horror, the fear of losing oneself.

The Love Witch - You could be forgiven for thinking this movie is from 1966, but it's from 2018. From the film stock to the pacing, to the colors, to the campy acting, to the style, cars, look, feel, everything--this is made to feel like an erotic horror film from the 60's in every conceivable way. Light on actual horror. The plot builds carefully with a modern-ish witch who is looking for love. She is modifying "sex magic" to create "love magic" but it ends up killing the men she falls for. Psychedelic and weird, but fascinating in the sheer level of detail put into making this feel like it was literally plucked from the 60's. If you see enough films, you recognize subtle tropes and elements of different eras, and The Love Witch is almost a case study in everything from that era. Some well done erotic scenes, but not as graphic as one might expect. The story, while a bit flighty, does still come around.

Lair of the White Worm - Interesting horror film from the late 80's or early 90's. Carefully and professionally constructed, the film feels very solid. I note this because there are elements that smack of amateur hour. Several scenes are just intended to be some kind of trippy nightmare visuals and these devolve into "baby's first video editor" in an almost laughably poor manner. It's as if the main film and these nightmare scenarios are from different movies with different budgets. An okay atmosphere, but the female antagonist steals the show. Also an early Hugh Grant role.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm 

Man, I love Lair of the White Word, just an off-kilter, super rad movie that I randomly watched one night and it stayed with me.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:43 pm 

RIP Sid Haig. So many great, greasy performances in so many exploitation flicks, and of course an awesome job as Capt. Spaulding.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am 

The Night Comes for Us - The Raid 2 inspired action movie about some hitman that betrays the Triad to save a girl and eventually becomes target of a manhunt by them. The fighting choreography is not as impressive as The Raid, but the movie compensates it with copious amount of gore and non-cgi mutilations. Seriously, this is the goriest martial arts movie since Riki-oh. 8/10

Doom - I have to admit I actually enjoy this movie, despite the unacceptable butchering of the game's plot. The first person segment kicks ass too. 6/10

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:41 pm 

Yeah, The Night Comes for Us was a nice little present to help me get over the fact that The Raid 3 probably won't happen.

I also watched that Twins of Evil movie you mentioned earlier. A bit draggy for an 87 minute movie I thought, but at least now I have some idea what people mean by "Hammer horror." And I finally saw something Peter Cushing did before Star Wars.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:30 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
And I finally saw something Peter Cushing did before Star Wars.

If you don't want to dive headfirst into all the Hammer flicks, you should at least watch the Tales from the Crypt movie from 1972. It's an anthology film like the Creepshow* movies except way better. Each segment is great and honestly pretty shockingly brutal, and Peter Cushing's is no exception. Also great to watch around Halloween.

* is anyone else gonna check out the new Creepshow series on Shudder? I'm not exactly expecting a lot, but I'll still check it out since my girlfriend and I have a Shudder account that we always forget to use lol

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 am 

Also, not Hammer or Halloweeny in any sense, but Cushing was also the Doctor in the two Doctor Who movies from the mid-60s, which are a neat little curiosity for fans of the show since both movies are based on stories from the First Doctor era, but are wildly different in terms of characterization and overall tone.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 am 

The Mummy from 1959 is pretty enjoyable viewing with Cushing (and bonus Christopher Lee), but it's definitely not the best Hammer. Cushing tells a man "your god doesn't matter" in it and that's the one big thing I always remember about it. So calling all grindcore sample artists! :lol:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am 

Razakel wrote:

* is anyone else gonna check out the new Creepshow series on Shudder? I'm not exactly expecting a lot, but I'll still check it out since my girlfriend and I have a Shudder account that we always forget to use lol

This is the first I've heard of a Creepshow series. The original film is one of my all-time favorites. That said, I think the franchise is fine with the current three Creepshow films. And by that, I mean:

Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

I've never seen, nor heard anything remotely good, about that abortion they titled "Creepshow 3," and that doesn't exactly fill me with hope for this new series.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 am 

Moving on with our month-ish of horror movies with my son, he wanted to watch Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Last year he saw the first one. Per Nightmare 2, to quote my son, "that movie was bad." Yes, it's not very good. It's a low point early in the franchise, but I'm looking forward to when he wants to see the third movie, which is the high point.

Then we watched Creepshow 2, which I love. The ragey long-haired Indian in the first segment (Old Chief Woodenhead) is my favorite FBI agent on Mindhunter now. I love Creepshow 2, but it is a far cry from the strength of the original film. And also, the college guy molesting a sleeping woman is a scene that has not aged well. My girlfriend gave me disconcerting looks of "what the fuck is this shit?", understandably.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 am 

Moving on with our month-ish of horror movies with my son, he wanted to watch Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Last year he saw the first one. Per Nightmare 2, to quote my son, "that movie was bad." Yes, it's not very good. It's a low point early in the franchise, but I'm looking forward to when he wants to see the third movie, which is the high point.

Then we watched Creepshow 2, which I love. The ragey long-haired Indian in the first segment (Old Chief Woodenhead) is my favorite FBI agent on Mindhunter now. I love Creepshow 2, but it is a far cry from the strength of the original film. And also, the college guy molesting a sleeping woman is a scene that has not aged well. My girlfriend gave me disconcerting looks of "what the fuck is this shit?", understandably.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 am 

I checked out the new Creepshow on Shudder and enjoyed it - just fun schlock/pulp stuff like I've always liked. Nothing groundbreaking but I dug it. I need to see the old ones again sometime though, been years and years.

Watched Carnival of Souls and Kill Baby Kill yesterday to start getting into that Halloweenish mood. Love 'em.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 am 

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 am 

This weekend ruled for movies. My fiance was off work all weekend so we saw a few things:

Green Room - I absolutely loved this film. I told Kiara I wanted to watch something "tense" and boy, did we get our money's worth. Super duper highly recommended. It has the honesty and authenticity of a low budget flick. "Intense" is the name of the game. It's a human siege situation.

Midsommar - Finally checked this one out. Actually, I own it now thanks to making mistakes on Amazon Prime lol. I loved this one too. The influence from Wicker Man was obvious, and the whole thing was dissimilar enough from Hereditary to stave off any concerns of Ari being a one-note artist. There were a LOT of moments where the main characters seemed shockingly dumb to me. Just a complete, outright refusal to acknowledge the reddest of flags. But if they had been smarter the movie wouldn't have lasted very long so whatever. Loved it. Looking forward to watching it again with the friend who showed me Wicker Man for the first time. It was tense and uncomfortable. I appreciated the absence of a supernatural element in this one.

Downton Abbey: The Movie - I have a feeling this one isn't going to get much notice around here haha. I can't believe how much I ended up loving this show. I originally agreed to watch it because it meant so much to my lady but it's just impossibly well-written, -casted, -acted. The movie was just a long episode, honestly. They made ZERO effort to include new fans. Zero exposition. I kind of loved that. It was just a long ass episode to wrap up a few things.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 pm 

Street Trash was so fun. I didn't think the rapey parts were at all necessary though. But otherwise I think the use of vibrant colours instead of just red in the gore effects was quite something. If anyone enjoyed the goopy ending of the first Evil Dead, I recommend this film. A well-made and well-paced B-movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm 

On Midsommar and the characters behaving quite illogically at times, apparently the director’s cut has a bunch of stuff added back in the make the characters’ actions make more sense. It also fleshes out the thesis subplot quite a bit, and it makes way more sense in the director’s cut than in the theatrical version.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 pm 

I was just telling her on my lunch break that I REALLY want to get my hands on that director's cut. Based on her reaction I think I'll be watching it alone lol. I already wanted to see it, just to get Ari's original vision, but now even more so.

It's not honestly that hard for me to believe that some kids at the end of their college daze might be willing to overlook some really "odd" things going on around them, especially on a vacation.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:54 pm 

Re: Midsommar

I can kind of buy that they would stay there through some of the weird shit that happened - they seem like somewhat jaded Americans who are like 'big deal, let's just see what happens.' But what I didn't buy was that the people in the village didn't know that could come off as off-putting or bizarre; like why were they surprised when the one other couple was upset by the two old people suiciding off the cliff?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 pm 

I was curious about that as well. I think they had to know it would freak them out right? The ending makes it clear that they rely on outsiders to complete this ritual. It has to be something they've done before. So I just assumed it was kind of a psychological warfare almost. Or their attempt at a "warning" of sorts.

I was mostly just surprised how they kept being like "Oh such and such left suddenly without telling us? Okay word." and then would just go on about their trip like they didn't care. It was a little hard to swallow but I don't think the movie could have survived otherwise. I'm very curious about the director's cut version.

I thought the cliff-jump scene was masterful. It really sticks with you. As soon as homie jumped feet first I was like "Oh god, now I know what the hammer is for"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:52 pm 

Aster did indulge in some old horror cliche with the "oh, they left without telling us" stuff and some other plot points - but it was done in a fairly satisfying way and didn't ruin anything for me really. Could've been better, sure, but whatever really.

I did think one of the more ludicrous plot points was the idea of the one Swedish dude who was their "friend" back in the US. What was his plan? Just to hopefully find a bunch of people who would be willing to come back to Sweden and be victims of the cult thing? He sure did get lucky that he found that group, and that all of them were cool with staying as long as they did. He must have wasted a lot of money on college tuition to do this plan.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:15 pm 

Lol, the whole movie I was like "Why haven't they turned on Pelle and stomped him out?". I guess he did an incredible job of integrating into their lives as a true friend. It seemed like he was roommates with Christian or maybe they all just hung out constantly? He knew birthdays, intimate details of their lives. He really played the long-con to bring his victims back.

It seems like the only goal is to lure in clueless people who can be murdered for ritual purposes. Once they're "there" it doesn't seem to matter if they're willing or not, right? So all he had to do was become their close friend and offer to show them a "once in a lifetime experience".

I know there was an endless parade of hallucinogenics but I still feel like Christian was just a dumb mother fucker. I think we've all met dudes like that. Clueless.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 pm 

re: midsommar
i didn't think it was that odd or illogical that the americans wouldn't leave. josh is trying to do his thesis. christian is as well. dani is trying to figure out what's going on with her relationship as well as feeling the attraction to the commune/whatever. add in the whole isolation/seclusion aspect of the place, and it makes sense imo why they wouldn't just up and leave.

anyway, great movie and one that'll haunt me for a very long time.

first episode of creepshow was quite good imo, especially the second story. looking forward to the rest for sure.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:52 pm 

The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984) - More evidence that when Wes Craven was bad, he was really bad. This might be worse than Shocker. 3 / 10

Black Site - Although not as good as The Void, here's another recent movie about humans dealing with Lovecraftian entities. The title location is a secret base at which Elder Gods are banished from Earth after being trapped in human form. I only gave this 5 / 10 which isn't good enough to recommend, but it's a "strong 5" if that makes sense. The flaws seem to result from the noticeably low budget and I suspect this writer / director could do something cool with more money.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm 

Man, is The King of Comedy the most uncomfortable movie ever or what? I don't know, but this was more disturbing to watch for me than Taxi Driver. Robert De Niro plays this guy who wants to get into show business, and watching him fail all the way through was quite a cringe fest. Some parts are straight-up surreal, too. It's ostensibly a black comedy, but it came off more as a psychological drama where the main character doesn't have any grip on reality. An interesting, unpleasant watch.

Also, speaking of Scorsese, is anyone interested in seeing The Irishman when it comes out? I suspect it'll be another GoodFellas-type movie, even if his editor insists otherwise.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:04 pm 

Yeah, The Irishman looks great, and it's gotten really glowing early reviews. I've never seen The King of Comedy, and I've been meaning to go back and watch some earlier Scorsese that I haven't seen, so thanks for the rec.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:55 am 

I need to see King of Comedy; is it on any streaming thing?

Tried to kick off my October with a weird movie called Therapy last night. This had an interesting rawness to it, and the creepy setting was almost enough to forgive the thin plot. But then it devolved into a lot of nonsense and the story just became ridiculous as it went on. Unfortunately not everyone with the gumption to do a low-budget horror movie can tell a great story. But they tried I guess.

I'll probably just go to something I've seen before for the next one I watch. Maybe Reanimator. Been a while.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:31 am 

Last night I watched, The Unnamable from 1988, which Amazon erroneously lists as from 2018. Not the strongest Lovecraftian film, but I think it's better than it's general reviews scores. I'd seen this one before, but it's been a very long time. We've got the white nerd academic hero, his pal, and some college students as fodder for the monster. The acting is generally decent, the make-up effects aren't bad. If the film has one major failing, it's that it's not really doing anything particularly unique, creative, or daring. It's mostly a by-the-numbers monster film from Lovecraft lore.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 pm 

Naked Killer - Asian version of Nikita about a girl that kills her father's killer and then is rescued by a hit woman that seemed to liked her style for murder. She is trained to become a professional killer while her cop boyfriend looks for her and a former student of her teacher returns to kill them both. Fun and trashy movie with superb action scenes and a lot of hot asian women engaging in lesbianism. In fact, the action is so good that I wanted more shootout scenes and less girl-on-girl scenes. 7/10

Confessions - About a school teacher that, after her daughter is killed by a prank of two of her students, makes the entire class drink milk with HIV infected blood. This happens on the first 30 minutes and I thought "wow, how this movie can top that?" Somehow, it gets much, much worse until the end credits. A very harrowing film focused more on the victims during the aftermath of the revenge than on the revenge itself. 8/10

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746, 747 ... 818  Next