Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm 

Recently rewatched Audition again for the first time in a decade or so. Really quite good and disturbing. It's horror that doesn't really use much horror tropes at all which is interesting - it just thrives based on how dark and eerie it is and how the character's motivations get him down this road. Well done stuff and doesn't pull punches.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:50 pm 

Takashi Miike is one of my favourite directors. I have watched twenty-seven of his movies so far. Some are difficult to find abroad. This is my list of his movies, ranked from best to worst: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls083206987/

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm 

And here be the red band trailer for The Suicide Squad.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm 

Violation - I had a pretty strange late night viewing of this the other night, a movie that even Shudder felt the need to throw a "graphic content" warning behind. This is a rape revenge film and shot beautifully, like some kind of art film. The acting is also very good and the story at least tries to make some kind of character to bolster the whole thing. Ultimately though this whole thing just felt like an exercise in pain and little else... it's good at showing the truths of this kind of culture, like Promising Young Woman, but it also is more needlessly gratuitous than that movie was. I found it artful on one hand but also just didn't know what else the point was except being graphic at the end of the day, so I'm not sure I could really ever recommend it.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 am 

Saw Promising Young Woman. I liked it. I feel the movie played a lot with expectations; though I saw coming the "twist" a mile away,
Spoiler: show
the boyfriend being on the video, I mean
. The scene with the dean was especially great.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:23 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I did see the Snyder Cut Justice League. Long as fuck, unnecessarily so, and while it is a major improvement over the theatrical... it's still the same movie at the core. It provides a lot of context to actions and characters that were glaringly missing. Clearer motivations, less chinzy humor, no Russian family subplot, and a world that feels a little more populated than the almost completely isolated story of the theatrical one.

Coming from the odd position of seeing ZSJL before the Josstice League, I got to say that I found the latter to be infinitely superior (even though I liked the gloomy atmosphere and Steppenwolf's design in the Snyderverse better); the fact that Whedon managed to tell a more compelling story (I'll take actual character arcs over a fancy slow motion rendition of the "daddy never came to my ball game" cliché any day) in two hours than Snyder in four, especially given the circumstances, is truly remarkable in my eyes.

...All of which is to say that both are firmly in the "inoffensive and forgettable meh" category, as is the majority of the Marvel films I've seen.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 am 

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, and a quick browse of my letterboxd account says I've watched 16 films since my last post. I won't go through all 16 films I've watched, but I will mention a few notable things:

White Eye is one of the best live action short films I've seen in a while. As a short film director/producer myself, I was blown away by the execution of this film. The fact that the entire 20 minutes is a single take with no cuts, with a lot of moving pieces, is a marvel. It's such a simple premise for a film. I think back to pitching different "simple" ideas to groups of people, and also having ideas pitched to me, and this is one of those things that I'd imagine started with a single thought: Guy sees his stolen bike tied to a post and tries to get it back. Chain-reaction ensues. 10/10 short film right here.

Speaking of short films, the short animated film "Opera" might be the best animated short I've EVER seen. I used to say The Dam Keeper was my favourite, due to its emotional weight, but this film is absolutely fascinating. I have watched it about 9 times already, and will continue to view it over and over. There is so much going on, so much to look at. I would really love to see this in an actual theatre on a huge screen. The score is super impressive, as well.

Minari is a wonderful film. So subtle, gentle and tender. Incredible acting, looks amazing from a cinematography angle. I really enjoy a simple, character and dialogue driven drama, and this is one of the best of the last few years. I have no idea how the little boy didn't get nominated for an Oscar. This movie deserves all the praise it gets.

But in conclusion: SEE THE FILM OPERA IF AND WHEN YOU CAN.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:35 am 

jimbies wrote:
Speaking of short films, the short animated film "Opera" might be the best animated short I've EVER seen. I used to say The Dam Keeper was my favourite, due to its emotional weight, but this film is absolutely fascinating. I have watched it about 9 times already, and will continue to view it over and over. There is so much going on, so much to look at. I would really love to see this in an actual theatre on a huge screen. The score is super impressive, as well.

This looks dope as hell - anywhere I can watch it, or is it still film festing at the moment?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 am 

Razakel wrote:
jimbies wrote:

This looks dope as hell - anywhere I can watch it, or is it still film festing at the moment?

Check your PMs :wink:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am 

jimbies wrote:
Razakel wrote:
jimbies wrote:

Check your PMs :wink:

You still passin' out links to this?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 pm 

I’d like a link to that Opera film too.

On a different note, since this movie just came back to my memory earlier today, I must ask: Is there any movie more aggressively early-2000s than Queen of the Damned? The fucking plot of the movie is that Lestat is the singer of a nu metal band. I can't think of anything more of-the-time than that.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I’d like a link to that Opera film too.

On a different note, since this movie just came back to my memory earlier today, I must ask: Is there any movie more aggressively early-2000s than Queen of the Damned? The fucking plot of the movie is that Lestat is the singer of a nu metal band. I can't think of anything more of-the-time than that.

I agree but I'd say I'd say Blade I and II are even "more aggressively early-2000s" than Queen of the Damned. Not by a wide margin though. Maybe the Matrix too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm 

I'm rewatching Icarus for the first time in a while, and it is really hitting me just how fucking massive this whole doping scandal is. This enormous, worldwide scheme is just about cheating at games.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 pm 

Grrrr, lost track of this thread again for a few weeks.

The Death of Dick Long - Guy with embarrassing name suffers even more embarrassing injury. His buddies drop him outside the ER and spend the next day hoping they don't get in trouble. Amusing first half, then kind of overstays its welcome. 5 / 10

Freaky - The gimmick of Vince Vaughn acting like a teenage girl ends up being enough for some decent entertainment. Not as good as Happy Death Day (same director) but probably slightly better than the sequel. 6.5 / 10

Spontaneous - High school students begin exploding for no apparent reason. At first I hoped this would deliver the same kind of bloody / comedic fun as Freaky. It started losing me pretty early though. Because the threat was completely random and unexplainable, the main character had no way to fight it. So instead we just watch her have a bland romance with a classmate.

Some other gripes I had:
Driving home the theme ("Life isn't fair, you could die at any moment, enjoy the time you have") with zero subtlety
At least 2 deaths that were "random" in the movie's universe but which I saw coming a mile away
Scenes that reminded me of movies or TV shows I liked better (One seemed inspired by "I love my dead gay son" from Heathers, another was similar to "I broke the dam" from South Park)

OK, I whined more than I intended to about this. I only gave it 4 / 10 but its IMDB average is 6.5, so if you have Amazon Prime and 100 free minutes you might like it more than I did.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:36 am 

We watched "Enemy of the State" last night, I hadn't seen it for ages - have any of those shaky-digital-camera movies aged well at all ? Have any of them been re-mastered for want of a better term, so that they look good again ? The story is decent, if a bit Tom Clancy, good cast, decent action - but the actual 'film' aspect of it was awful to look at in some places.

By contrast we put on the first 40mins of Rocky IV after it EotS finished, and the difference was astonishing - story/dialogue/oceans of baby oil aside, but the finish & quality of the visuals stands up really well by contrast with the more modern film.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am 

Godzilla v Kong

People will hate this movie (mostly due to the plot, I'd say), but I enjoyed it. This was a better Kong movie than 2017's Skull Island was, and probably on par with King of the Monsters. If you're able to suspend belief for 100 minutes, I recommend watching it. Hopefully there's more of these because there's plenty of potential.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:30 am 

Nobody - Surprised no one here's talked about this yet, given all the love for BB and BCS as well as the John Wick/Taken movies. Yup, it's yet another entry in the "late-middle aged man does ridiculous action" genre except the twist here is that there's no twist. It's refreshingly straightforward and while it aims low, it hits its mark. The script is actually pretty generic and cliche, and in the hands of a veteran director the movie might've been a miss, but Hardcore Henry director Ilya Naishuller brought enough ingenuity and energy to make it worthwhile.

I will say that after Gangs of London and Banshee the action didn't bowl me over the way it might've before, but it's perfectly competent and the supporting cast, a who's who of actors that could've been legends but missed the boat for various reasons, sealed the deal for me. Jesus Christ does Michael Ironside look unhealthy though. Recommended.

Although it does have digital buckets of terrible-looking CGI blood, so if that's a deal breaker you're SOL.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 pm 

What are you guys watching Gangs of London on?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 am 

It airs on AMC. Not sure if it's cut for time/content. You can also find it on sketchy streaming/torrent sites easily, which was the only place it was available outside the UK for a good while.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 am 

Watched Nomadland to see what the fuss is about. It's really good. It moves at a decent pace without dwelling too long, it sheds a very intimate light into a different (sometimes forced) lifestyle, has great characters and awesome acting. The cinematography is just beautiful, awesome shots of various places. And it has even a superb score.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:09 am 

The Power - New thriller set in the 70s in a hospital when they have to shut down the power to conserve energy. New girl comes for the night shift and shit gets crazy. I liked the setting and ambiance of this, and the first few acts have some good scares. The story is kind of all over the place but not bad exactly. The ending gets kind of heavy handed, but it gets the point across and overall I liked this alright.

Because of Charley - Saw this at the Florida Film Fest. It's about a mixed-race family stuck in a house during Hurricane Charley in 04, which I remember living through in the same area as the movie was set. This is a very talky drama and it comes off natural, with the characters growing on you the more the movie goes on. A few parts might be slightly sappy but overall I did get the feel that this was genuine as opposed to laying it on too thick. It's slightly soap opera-y but it has a great Floridian ambiance and overall I liked it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Watched Nomadland to see what the fuss is about. It's really good. It moves at a decent pace without dwelling too long, it sheds a very intimate light into a different (sometimes forced) lifestyle, has great characters and awesome acting. The cinematography is just beautiful, awesome shots of various places. And it has even a superb score.

I agree, it was really really good. I loved all the same things about it you did. I am predicting it will take home the big one on Sunday night, but it wouldn't be my first pick.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 am 

jimbies wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

I agree, it was really really good. I loved all the same things about it you did. I am predicting it will take home the big one on Sunday night, but it wouldn't be my first pick.

What would it be? In the ones nominated (that I've seen) it was my favorite, but I'm still not over the fact that they didn't nominate Da 5 Blood...

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 am 

Sound of Metal just won 2 Oscars for Best Sound and Film Editing. I would've also loved it if it won Best Picture, but 2 Oscars is better than 0 Oscars.

Also, for once, I feel like Disney/Pixar winning an Oscar is well deserved.

Check out my reviews

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 am 

Watched The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) yesterday, since I like a proper Sunday-afternoon type movie.

This one is three hours long, and not a second feels wasted. It tells the story of the last part of the reign of Marcus Aurelius, and the subsequent reign, anarchy, and internal unrest caused by Commodus. If it sounds familiar, that outline is what frames Gladiator also. This earlier film is much better on the historic minutiae - clothes, the senate house, how the senators speak, the appearance of Persian armoured horses, Roman infantry with their javelins, close formation fighting, why the barbarians are fighting, and so on. It's a bit of a mishmash, but it's better in these details than the gym-bunny-fights-the-world stuff you get these days.

That the budget was so large for 1964 (c. $20m) that it bankrupted the production company is visible in the sets - 55 acres built in wood, stone, marble, bronze - providing a Roman border fortress, watch towers, the Roman Forum, statues, pools, rooms, and so on. Even the roads match historic examples. 8,000 infantry, 1,500 cavalry in some of the battle scenes give you a real sense of scale (without overdoing it) - there's chaos from the untrained, victory for discpline, and much leaping-off-trees for the barbarians. It's excellent stuff. It was filmed in Spain, so plenty of Roman / Classical (or imitation-style) architecture to go around.

The Romans are (by and large) Brits with posh accents; whence the Star Wars Imperial officer type. Omar Sharif turns up as the king of Armenia, Sophia Loren plays his wife / the Emperor's daughter, and Alec Guiness gives a star turn as Obi Wan Aurelius. Christopher Plummber absolutely chews through the scenary as Commodus, and it's glorious - none of the emo-kid stuff that Joachim Phoenix gave the character - you get the 'nuts aristo that could also pull off your arms' feeling from him, which is quite accurate. The scenes in the senate house were some of my favourite, they really captured the right atmosphere there.

Pros vs. Gladiator - better sets, better actors in key roles (Guiness, Plummer), better historiography, nods to wider history (Pertinax, a later emperor, turns up in one scene). Since it's a deal longer, it also takes more time to frame scenes - temples, augurs, the senate, the wider client-states of the Roman empire. The Paganism of the empire at this point is neatly emphasised as an ordinary part of life. It also takes time to joke here and there - something that modern films always suffer from is being totally po-faced. Even Roman Emperors liked a joke.

Cons vs. Gladiator - some of the 8,000 sets of armour and weapons are obviously plastic; lapses in time aren't properly indicated (the film covers a period of around 12 years). Commodus did like to fight as a Gladiator - this wasn't shown as they obviously couldn't make a CGI Collosseum in 1964. A modern viewer might not like the theatre-staging of the dialogue-heavy scenes; I do, but I understand people more and more reject this.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
jimbies wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

What would it be? In the ones nominated (that I've seen) it was my favorite, but I'm still not over the fact that they didn't nominate Da 5 Blood...

Sorry I didn't see this post before the ceremonies. My answer would have been a two-parter. On one hand, my favourite film of the year, "One Night In Miami..." didn't get nominated for best picture, so that would have been my first choice, but of the films that did get nominated I would have went with "Sound of Metal". Still glad Nomadland won it.

I completed the Deathrace this year a day prior to the ceremony. Saw all 41 nominated features across all categories and the 15 shorts. Wish I would have remembered to post my picks here before the ceremony. The award I'm most gutted over is the Animated Short. Man, "Opera" is by far the best animated film I've ever seen, and one of the best short films I've ever seen. I knew, I just KNEW right after seeing "if anything happens i love you" that they would give it the award. It was total oscar bait, and had a big name like Laura Dern behind it.

To anyone else that watched, did you find it super anticlimactic as well? Not only the fact that they did the best acting awards AFTER the biggest award of the night, but the fact that Hopkins won and he wasn't even there (nor recorded a speech) was a very weird end to the night. (Hopkins was absolutely amazing in The Father, and I'm glad he won, even though my wish was for Riz Ahmed to take it.)

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 am 

Yes, I thought it was because they wanted to end on a Chadwick Boseman win/tribute... Given that Hopkins wasn't there, I wonder why they didn't put the actress category at the end.

I guessed Hopkins would win, but I too wish Riz Ahmed would have won, that was a really awesome performance. Though Anthony Hopkins also deserves it from what I saw (didn't see the movie yet, but the snippets I saw, it really looks like Hopkins at his best).

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:00 am 

I watched the newest Mortal Kombat... but before that:
Skins - People with different deformities try to find ways to be themselves.
Pretty good Spanish film with a distinct visual style and, given some of the deformities some characters have, I was expecting it to be more of a comedy, but it's a serious drama of people coming to terms with what they are and wanting people to accept them as well.

Zack Snyder's Justice League - Heroes fight villain, but in 4 hours.
Supremely better than the theatrical cut, but still flawed mostly due to DC's wanting to catch up to MCU in just 4 years. I watched it in one sitting, but I was willing to do so; even if it's divided in chapters throughout the film I still think it should have been at least a two-parter. Still it's amazing the world of differences between this and the theatrical cut, and also the fact that this was allowed to exist.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - A neurosurgeon/musician/scientist has to defend the Earth from aliens.
I guess? It's not a bad movie, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, it feels like it has too much in it and little time to develop everything. I mean, considering the stuff that's in this movie there isn't much to really develop, but still it all feels somewhat rushed.

Digital Man - A special forces team has to retrieve an android gone rogue in a small town.
Actually quite decent 90's action B-movie with that guy that played Jason Vigo in TNG. Some neat explosions, pretty decent special effects for the time and budget; it's not the best thing ever, but if you're looking for some action to watch with your brain turned off, you'll be satisfied.

Daisies - Two girls decide the world's gone bad so they decide to go bad themselves.
I actually wanted to watch this for a long time, its concept always seemed cool to me: in 1960's Czechoslovakia, twp girls decide to break the rules of society just for fun. I thought it was okay, but I was expecting something more along the lines of wreaking havoc (as much as can be expected from something made in the 60's) than just annoying/playing pranks on people. Guess I should have thought better, haha. Still it's quite fascinating how much counter-culture the girls and the film itself is.

alright, showtime

STARTING WITH

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation - Fighters have to defend their world from an extra-dimensional invasion.
WAIT, OFFICER, I CAN EXPLAIN
I.... LOVE this movie. Full nostalgia goggles mode, I admit, but past that, I think it's an excellently bad movie, and I feel it's indisputably a videogame movie, not just because of the medium it's based on, but also on how the movie's constructed. An unimportant plot on the background of fighters battling throughout diverse stages/places with a different soundtrack for each arena; I like calling it a fighting musical because of that. Think about it, there could totally be something like Street Fighter The Movie: The Game made off of this without any extra work on creating either new characters or stages. I obviously can't overlook some of the decisions in this, but there isn't really anything new to say, right? "Too bad you! Will die", incessant somersaults and flips, Ray Park obviously doubling for James Remar, plot holes, the Raiden and Shao Kahn business, bad CG etc. I still love it though, I might have watched this more than the original film.

Mortal Kombat 2021 - Different people across the world are gathered for a fighting tournament.
You see, I wasn't really stoked for this, I was looking forward to mostly doing a "haha, new mortal kombat today so I'll watch annihilation instead" thing, but I decided to watch both of them back to back. I don't like this. I'll again admit it might be a bit of nostalgia goggles still, but there are other things that really bothered me. Extremely choppy and uneven editing, fast cuts in fight scenes, generic and bland soundtrack, weak script, etc.
Bear with me, writing the whole plot was what came out best for me (obviously, spoilers ahead):
So the movie opens on the 1600's, Sub-Zero (not yet Sub-Zero then) kills Scorpion's (not yet Scorpion then) whole clan and family and then they fight. Sub-Zero's injured, Scorpion dies but is taken to the Netherrealm, Raiden shows up and picks the baby that Scorpion's wife had hidden during Sub-Zero's attack.

400 years later, we're introduced to a Cole Young, a character created from the movie for no reason. He's an MMA fighter (with a wiiiife and a daaaaughter) who loses more often than he wins. He has a birthmark in the shape of the MK dragon. We meet Jax, who rescues Cole when they are attacked by Sub-Zero, sent by Shang Tsung to kill people like Jax, who has the dragon tattoo, before the tournament begins. The tattoo is what grants them entry in the tournament; you get them by killing a previous owner of the tattoo. Jax sends Cole to Sonya Blade and goes after Sub-Zero, he freezes and crushes Jax's arms and leaves him for dead.

Meanwhile, Cole takes his family to a safe house and goes to meet Sonya Blade, who doesn't have a tattoo and explains EVERYTHING to him. Also Kano is there, Sonya has him chained in a chair. Shang Tsung sends Reptile (honest to God, I had completely forgotten Reptile was in the film until I was writing this), which is more lizard-like in appearance, like in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Anyway, he attacks the three; Kano gets free, rips Reptile's heart and joins Cole and Sonya to look for Raiden's temple.

And off they go, plane and parachutes, land in the middle of the desert and are met by Liu Kang, a completely serious no-nonsense full monk business fighter. They go together to Raiden's temple and meet Raiden. He looks at Cole and goes "you're not prepared, you suck", looks at Sonya and goes "you don't have a tattoo, you suck", looks at Kano, throws lightning at him and goes "you suck".

Kung Lao also shows up to train them before the tournament along with Liu Kang and they explain that their abilities (aka the moves from the games) are the "arcanas" that are given to them by having the dragon tattoo. Oh, also, they rescued Jax and gave him thin mechanical replacements for his arms. Anyway, Kano gets heated during dinner and finds his arcana is shooting laser from his eye (what is cybernetics?)

Shang Tsung shows up at the temple with Sub-Zero and Mileena (there's no Kitana), so Raiden makes a thunder shield to protect the temple. Raiden tells Cole he's a descendant of Scorpion, which is why he was born with the dragon tattoo instead of getting from someone else. Also he gives Cole a kunai that Scorpion had, which can summon Scorpion back from Hell with a bit of Cole's blood. Cole can't activate his arcana so Raiden tells him "go to your family, you suck", and he goes.

By this point, Shang Tsung recruited some more guys, like, Kabal, Goro, Reiko (why?) and Nitara (WHY?), Kabal goes to the temple, talks to Kano and convinces him to switch sides, so Kano disables the thunder shield and helps Shang Tsung, Kabal, Reiko, Mileena and Nitara to show up and fight Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Sonya Blade. Kung Lao splits Nitara in half with his hat, Mileena gives up on Sonya so Kano deals with her instead and ends up trapping her beneath some rubble. Jax tries to rescue her and his arcana develops as the robot arms.

Meanwhile, Goro finds Cole and his family, so they fight. Cole develops his arcana as a brass armor that can absorb and dispense energy from hits. Raiden gets Cole back and I guess he helps a bit in the fight that was going on the temple? Anyway, Shang Tsung sucks Kung Lao's soul and Raiden teleports everyone left to a white void where Cole convinces them that they should fight each one on one.

So Jax gets Reiko (wins), Sonya gets Kano (wins and gets his tattoo), Liu gets Kabal (wins) and Cole gets Mileena (SONYA wins when she shows up). They left Sub-Zero for last, so he gets Cole's family, takes them to Cole's gym and freezes them up. Cole fights Sub-Zero, tries to use the kunai and bleeds on it. Scorpion's spear-rope IMMEDIATELY shows up and grabs Sub-Zero. Anyway, they fight and Scorpion ends burning Sub-Zero up.

Raiden shows up with the others and so does Shang Tsung, which goes "I will be back with armies". Raiden goes "shut up" and sends him back to Outworld. Raiden also has a list of people he wants to gather up and gives it to Cole, which goes to Hollywood for the first one: Johnny Cage.

What tournament?

Some of the decisions taken in doing this are just weird, and, even though it is his first movie, I can't blame the director. You know what, scratch that, yes I can blame him, because despite a mediocre script a dedicated director should be able to impose himself and have some degree of visual identity or integrity in his artistic vision. Simon McQuoid is just a name, this is a Warner Bros movie.

The soundtrack is just as generic as any "serious" blockbuster, it doesn't build upon the identity of its predecessors but it doesn't stand out for itself either. The editing is awkward, some scenes are intercut with others, some seem to be cut before the right time, fight scenes feel like they were taken from the Taken franchise (no pun intaken. I mean, intended). And you know, it might be on purpose. A day or two before it came out I saw a headline saying "despite being R-rated, it still suffered cuts" or something, so there could be a future uncut version to "correct" these "errors".

Wherever you look you'll see people saying Kano's the best character in the movie. Of course, he's the ONLY one who has a character, the rest are just uncharismatic people who get way less lines than Kano has. Some of the characters chosen to be in this feel like they were picked up at random. Why is Reiko here? Why is Nitara here? Why is Reiko played by Nathan Jones?

This just screams 2017 to me, it doesn't seem like something made/released in 2021. The Warcraft adaptation seemed more unique to me than this (but just as uneven), though it might be because I know more of this franchise than that.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:23 pm 

I still might watch the new Mortal Kombat, but only because the cable company is doing free premium channels week. Which is the only reason I bothered with ......

The Craft: Legacy - I had seen a spoiler-heavy Youtube review of this months ago so there was one plot element I knew was coming. But it seemed like it would be a throwaway gag, just one of many things the witches do with their new powers. Instead, once they cast a spell to

completely change the personality of a closeted bisexual bully

it becomes the major source of conflict for a decent chunk of the running time. I'm not even a fan of the 1996 movie, but I think it had a more interesting development of the "darn it, we took things too far" aspect? Anyway I gave the original 5 / 10 and this seemed worse, so it gets 4 / 10.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am 

Nobody - This is a John Wick-esque kind of action movie that I like better than any John Wick - it's shorter and Odenkirk manages to make this character more relatable than any action hero ever needs to be, adding more dimension than usual. The story is simple but it's effective and doesn't waste time. The action is totally bonkers and off the wall. It's not a lot of substance but it gets the job done for what it wants to be.

Resolution - This early Benson/Moorhead film follows a junkie and his friend hiding out in rural Native American land trying to get the one guy sober. Meanwhile mysterious shit starts to go down. It's all very weird and disorienting, and the lack of much any explanation makes it feel unsettling and jarring. This is much less pro than their later movies but charming for it, with a kind of DIY feel that you can't replicate if it's not real. I found this an eerie little trip.

Mortal Kombat - Lot of people complaining about this, but I don't see why. It's silly and not a movie you look at for the plot or whatever. It basically feels as true to the games as possible for my standards as someone not obsessed with them (I'll play with buddies when it's available, that's as far as it really goes). It looked cool and the fighting was fun. I wouldn't call this amazing by any stretch but I just don't know what else you want from a fucking video game movie, a subset which has almost never produced anything that great.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:31 pm 

Yeah, Nobody was fun to watch. Just John Wick/The Equalizer/Taken, silly but incredibly fun to watch. Also the music is super cool.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:28 pm 

Honestly this was the best movie in that style since the first Taken for me.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am 

Watched Minari just in time for the Oscars. It was good. The kid was really, really believable. I loved the relationship he builds with the grand-mother, who is a scene-stealer. The parents' relationship was also great; they both take a different stance towards the farm, but you get to understand both where they are coming from. If I were a couple's counselor: they should communicate more, especially the dad.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm 

Monster Hunter - It was alright. I liked the effects of the monsters, and it was good to see Milla Jovovich (haven't watched her on screen for some time). She played her part quite well, actually. The overuse of slow motion and her chemistry with the Asian bloke didn't quite work. While I feel this movie was a missed opportunity, I felt it was worth watching. If they make more of them, I feel the series will improve.

Fatman - Mel Gibson shines in this. I really like his character and the gruff manner of speaking. However, the other two lead characters are so totally unlikeable that it was taking me out of the experience. The kid was especially egregious. High marks for originality but the execution was slightly off. Also can someone explain the ending, because...
Chris literally gets shot in the eye and survives. Is he immortal? It's never really explained.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:16 am 

Watched the new Mortal Kombat. I actually liked it. It does what it's supposed to do: a movie adaptation of a dumb, ridiculous fighting game with weird lore involving ice ninjas, thunder gods, dark wizards, Bruce Lee wannabes, hat teleportation and the like.

The fights were good, not the stuff of legend but entertaining; the script did its job of moving the characters from a fight to the next, the fatalities were ridiculously over the top (that's a positive IMO, if you don't laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of the fatalities in MK they're not worth doing). I didn't mind Cole, unlike many fans. He was OK. The cast was perfect. I still feel like there was untapped potential, like you could tighten some shit up to make a really decent movie, instead of one more dumb action flicks with cool effects. The arkana thingie was a neat way of explaining the weird moves the character do, and actually justifies having a cage fighter and a soldier (and if the sequel materializes, an actor) match up with demons and wizards.

So dumb, but entertaining and cool to look at. 6.5/10. Also a nice break from all the serious pre-Oscar watching.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Watched Minari just in time for the Oscars. It was good. The kid was really, really believable. I loved the relationship he builds with the grand-mother, who is a scene-stealer. The parents' relationship was also great; they both take a different stance towards the farm, but you get to understand both where they are coming from. If I were a couple's counselor: they should communicate more, especially the dad.

The best film I've seen in a while at just being so subtle. Add in the fact that the acting is over-the-charts great, and it looks phenomenal, and you have a 10/10 film.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 am 

jimbies wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

The best film I've seen in a while at just being so subtle. Add in the fact that the acting is over-the-charts great, and it looks phenomenal, and you have a 10/10 film.

Damn, since my last comment was about Mortal Kombat, I was confused there for a moment! :D

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:30 am 

The Mitchells vs. the Machines

Sigh. So the movie certainly isn't bad. The animation is practically flawless and I liked the voice acting (yeah, even from the little brother). The jokes, while obviously quite Generation Z, actually seem to land and are, to me, handled where both adults and kids can enjoy them. The story itself, while not totally original, brings it about in an original way.

The thing that gets me, like all movies of this kind, is the ham-fisted and exaggerated drama that comes with it. In this case, between the father and daughter. The movie would have been so much better with that side of the story not in there. I get that it's supposed to teach the message of growth and reflection in both characters, but every time it comes up it jarringly halts the movie to what it could have been. There are simply too many of these moments in the movie (not accounting for the other "sad" moments that occur) for me to really get too invested. For a movie advertised as a comedy, this is a problem.

So what to make of it? I think it's a decent movie but gets bogged down by all-too-familiar dramatic points that don't need to be there. The main story and animation are top-notch. 5.5/10

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:11 pm 

Frankenhooker - After a fun opening scene, this got kind of dull for a while and started losing my interest. I was ready to file it next to Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama in the list of movies that failed to deliver on a great title, but once Frankenhooker (the character) was fully assembled it got much better. The actress (who apparently quit the biz right after making this) seemed to be having a blast with the facial spasms and prostitute dialogue. Nice ending too. 6 / 10, and might have been 7 / 10 if they trimmed the first half and got to the good parts faster.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:54 pm 

Any good horror movies from the last few years (19-20)? Been completely out of the loop. Pretty much any style minus found footage.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787  Next