Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 pm 

The Night Comes for Us - Nice, it's a rare Netflix movie I can absolutely recommend. Three people from The Raid 1 and 2 are in this, and if you liked the violent bloody action scenes in those you'll probably like this. I admit there were times I wasn't 100% sure which character was motivated by loyalty to which faction. It ended up not affecting my enjoyment though. Definitely among the better action movies I've seen lately. 7.5 / 10

Necroticism174 wrote:
Suspiria was amazing. I would say I easily loved it ten times more than the original. A gutsy, artsy, movie that has deep contempt for any audience that doesn't love audacious art horror. I actually might see it in theatres a second time, and I never do that. This year has been insane for horror.

I was sort of looking forward to this since the original didn't connect with me and I figured a remake might fix that. Then I was shocked when I learned it's 2.5 hours. Looks like I'm gonna make myself sit through it anyway if the reviews are this good.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 am 

[quote="ChineseDownhill"]The Night Comes for Us - Nice, it's a rare Netflix movie I can absolutely recommend. Three people from The Raid 1 and 2 are in this, and if you liked the violent bloody action scenes in those you'll probably like this. I admit there were times I wasn't 100% sure which character was motivated by loyalty to which faction. It ended up not affecting my enjoyment though. Definitely among the better action movies I've seen lately. 7.5 / 10

I really wonder how they didnt just call this The Raid 3. Loved it.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 pm 

I came here to thank him for the head's up! Raid 1 and 2 are some of the most fun movies I've ever watched and I can't wait to see this one.

I love how this small group of actors basically takes turns being the bad guy in each film.

Edit: OKAY THIS FUCKING RULES

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:02 pm 

Anyone see Prospect this weekend? I'm going to see it this afternoon. My cousin in-law directed it and I know a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it. In the age of bazillion dollar Star Wars and Avengers movies, it's pretty cool to see an indie sci-fi flick as this getting such positive reviews and responses as it has. I definitely encourage folks to get out and watch it and help support the indie scene!

Youtube: show

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 am 

The Night Comes for Us - Haha yeah, totally The Raid 3, but the gore and stuff were even more insane and over the top so that it almost felt like Ichi the Killer or something at times. Same complaint about The Raid movies applies here: why the fuck do they tack on so much backstory and shit? Booooooooring. Especially in this one where it was not only boring but also totally nonsensical:
Spoiler: show
Like, ok, sure, I get that Ito felt bad about massacring that village full of people and didn't want to kill a little girl, but then like going insanely out of his way to protect her at all costs, even getting all of his best friends and shit killed...that was just kinda dumb.

Anyway the action was intense, goofy, fun, totally bonkers with the gore and violence. I still can't really say that fight scene slideshows like this are my favorite kinds of action movies ever or anything, but definitely very fun.

As Above, So Below - Strangely enough a similar criticism kind of applies here, as well. Toward the end it definitely felt like "horror slideshow" where they just threw a bunch of disconnected scary shit at the people. But, I really liked how they kind of subverted the cheesy Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones/Da Vinci Code thing that was going on at first and got into some really heavy Gnostic/Biblical imagery and more esoteric horror eventually. Pretty solid though, and definitely a cooler entry into the found footage genre than generic Paranormal Activity type stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 am 

Glad you found something to dig in it! The imagery definitely got to me, in the best way. That room full of "singing" people would have been a heavy nope for me. I think they could have taken it all a bit further in the end, but it was satisfying to me as far as endings go.

I thought The Night Comes for Us did a good job of having almost zero storyline, similar to the first Raid. Raid 2 is where they really went crazy with dialogue and character development, making you wait longer between the fight scenes. I agree that Night Comes was SUPER over the top though, probably the furthest they've pushed the ultraviolence so far. I adored it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 am 

It's kind of amazing how good the first Underworld is considering every single one that followed was fucking awful. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it had a pleasing mix of Matrix aesthetic and action combined with an impressively complex plot for the silly subject matter. I remember my poor 14 year old brain just couldn't keep up in the theater. Also surprised they pulled it off for only $20 million, it looked like three times that much.

Too bad the rest of the series is a game of shit one-upmanship, with the worst offender being a prequel that had already been told in its entirety via a couple of 30 second flashbacks in the first two films. :lol: And making Charles Dance a major character in the last two films was cruel and unusual punishment, his agent should feel bad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 am 

Hold the Dark is the best Jeremy Saulnier yet. Sprawling, brutal and primal. Just a cascading flow of action in a great, beautiful setting. I found it to be raw and uncompromising and I'd recommend it to fans of weird, dark stuff in movies.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 am 

Granted, October is over, but there's always a reason for more horror films, and I finally watched Trick 'r' Treat.

Fun movie. A different take on the classic horror/anthology film (Creepshow, Tales from the Darkside, etc.) in that the stories wrap around one another, similar to the way about a dozen Christian movies operate every year. A series of interwoven character vignettes, but without all that hokey Christian bullshit. Instead, fun horror stories. Everything was pretty clever and stuck to some classic horror concepts instead of the gimmicky bullshit that defines most modern big-budget Hollywood horror movies.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 am 

Glad to see others liked The Night Comes for Us as much as I did. And that somebody liked Hold the Dark a lot more than I did. :)

Scary Movie 2 - I still think the original is genuinely, consistently funny. When it came out in 2000 and made more money than anyone expected, a sequel was inevitable. The problem is they rushed it out just under a year later, and not even 7 (yes, seven) writers could come up with something nearly as good on that timetable. Anna Faris' performance is a big part of what made the first work so well, and she tries here, but the material just isn't there. Although this isn't as severe as the RoboCop to RoboCop 2 decline for me, it's still quite a nosedive.

Scary Movie 3 - Now they've gone PG-13 and removed all Wayans involvement. Better than part 2 but still not close to part 1. It probably helped that I'm familiar with all the movies being spoofed except 8 Mile.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:53 pm 

Has anyone seen Overlord yet? I think it looks like a lot of fun and it's received pretty positive responses so far.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:18 pm 

Here are some movies I have recently been watching:

Tampopo (1985) - Incredibly creative, funny and entertaining episodical so-called ramen western 9/10
A Simple Favor (2018) - Sinister thriller in the key of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train, for genre fans 8/10
The Nun (2018) - Surprisingly atmospheric horror movie and much better than the rather boring Conjuring series 9/10
Equalizer (2018) - Unnecessary sequel, much less interesting than the first part though Washington is great 6/10
Golden Job (2018) - Entertaining and epic Chinese heist movie 7/10
Hell Fest (2018) - Colourful and entertaining horror film ride but not really creative or scary 7/10
Kin (2018) - Vapid science-fiction elements meet plodding social drama 5/10
Phantasm (1979) - Atmospheric, creative, mysterious and sinister horror movie 9/10
Bluebeard (2017) - Psychological thriller from South Korea with too many twists and turns 6/10
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) - Atmospheric and in the key of Quentin Tarantino's movies 9/10
Project Gutenberg (2018) - Chinese gangster epic with noticeable lengths 6/10
Alpha (2018) - Much better than expected emotional drama about the friendship between dog and man 10/10
White Boy Rick (2018) - Crime drama with interesting settings but tedious plot 7/10
Fahrenheit 451 (2018) - Entertaining but quite tame adaptation of the groundbreaking novel 6/10
Jeepers Creepers III (2018) - Much better than its reputation, atmospheric, diversified and entertaining 7/10
Gonijam Haunted Asylum (2018) - Atmospheric found footage horror film from South Korea 7/10
The Hidden Fortress (1958) - Epic historical adventure movie by Akira Kurosawa 8/10
BlacKkKlansman (2018) - Solid mixture of facts and fancy with an important message 9/10
Gear (2018) - Boring independent Canadian crime flick about a drug runner who loses his shipment 3/10
A Quiet Place (2018) - Quiet but intense, a strategy that should inspire future horror movies 9/10
Thugs of Hindostan (2018) - Colourful Indian pirate movie 10/10
Rampant (2018) - South Korean zombie movies in a gripping historical context 10/10

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 pm 

Ikiru - Just goes to show you that everyday of life should be cherished, but that truth is often swept up in the mundane cyclone of existence, only to be recovered in shambles like a wet newspaper after being told how much time you have left. This is a simple film, really, with a simple message. Everything about it is unquestionably ordinary and thereby relatable for anyone and everyone. Even our protagonist's final dream to accomplish something that may or may not matter is quite ordinary. He just wanted this park built, but after the unfolding of the film, that simple goal holds so much more weight. And I got to thinking it's pretty badass how he would stop at nothing after being a doormat for so long. The movie had a lot of real cool shots, and I gotta give this guy credit for holding that grimace with varying levels of intensity throughout basically the whole thing. Gotta have a sore face after that. 4/5

The Seventh Continent - I'm not quite sure how to properly articulate my thoughts and feelings on this movie, and frankly I'm skeptical about what they are in the first place. The movie does not want to be your friend, that's for sure. The movie is your enemy, and will swarm your being with contempt and summon waves upon waves of irritation towards things that you'd before never even think twice about. And that's not just relevant to the film's content either. The frustration is truly stupendous. It's gonna be tough to talk about, but I'll do my best. First off, I was in fact fairly disappointed after reading some reviews that beefed it up majorly, and that may have subconsciously affected my personal reception of the movie on the whole. Technically, it is quite proficient. A bleak drama that burns at a snail's pace and builds tension like insects in your bloodstream. It commands all of your patience and perception. Very little "happens", and while I'm all about movies like that, this one just didn't sit right with me, like I offered it an uncomfortable chair and it won't let me hear the end of it through passive aggressive complaining. All the good descriptors are here in full force. It's claustrophobic and suffocating, unnerving and uncomfortable, nihilistic and cold, tense and rigid, and plays out like a nightmare cast in nonexistent light, where no true, perceivable danger can be found lurking in the static beyond, which only strengthens the astronomical dread, and you get to wishing that there was some horrible creature out there, or for some murderous lunatic to barge in and sever the anxiety, to put an end to the seemingly source-less woe. But that doesn't happen. The film revels in inexpressible disquiet, cinematic dysphoria. The whole event itself is what I can't get behind, and it irks me even more that this is a true story. Obviously I've never met this family, but if this is how they went out, I don't think I'd enjoy their company or practically anything about them. At first I was thinking there'd been something along the way that I missed or didn't put together and so I wanted to revisit the movie in the future, but after researching the topic it would seem that this ultimate act of self destruction was more or less spontaneous. Sure it obviously wasn't going perfect for them but jeez. The conclusion of the film is thoroughly upsetting and anxiety inducing, and even though I'll go and talk about being not into it, it stuck with me for a while, popping up in my mind frequently during the following days. So, clearly, this film is a complete success considering it has me as inexplicably outraged as it does. This is why it's hard for me to rate. If we strip away all the pretentious nonsense of this review, at the end of the day I'd still say it's a bit overhyped and that I don't exactly care too much for it. However, it is truly a force to be reckoned with. ?/5

Cranes are Flying - Many films have shown us that love in the time of war is fragile and vulnerable, and that the respective feelings of each party come fully to surface when the other isn't around to receive them. We get to feel a lot of empathy for the leading lady (who is gorgeous), remarrying her fiancee's draft dodging brother and never hearing the end of it, though this ridicule is indirect. Another collection of fancy shots and sets here. 3.5

All About Lily Chou Chou - This film is enormously pretentious and I picked that up immediately, so that's always nice. Led into the movie with some posts from an internet message board dedicated to this musician Lily Chou Chou, talking about "the Ether" and whack culty stuff like that. Aside from pretense, the movie is also immensely vibrant from the get go in both sight and sound. Anyway, it's a humble coming of age story of youth as affected by the enigmatic artist. It gives us all the tropes, people change, people grow apart. But for the two main characters, solace is found within the music and this "Ether" business. The story, as presented to us, begins in the middle and cuts back to the summer of change come and gone before the ending comes around and the impact of it all is fully realized. Scenes are sporadically intertwined with more posts from the forum, though it's not revealed until the end who these usernames belong to. Thusly we have a sort of impartial view into these individuals' minds and hearts. A great coming of age film that I believe should be revered for its magnificently lush style. Dreamy music and camera shots synergize beautifully, a truly remarkable air. 4/5

Ichi the Killer - Felt pretty much like a must watch movie for me, already being a fan of the shameless absurdity of J-splatter. Like how can you even have this much blood in your body? I figured it would be pretty similar to Tokyo Gore Police and the Machine Girl and all those, but this one (admirably) tries a different, possibly more subdued air. That's not to say this film doesn't have firm roots in black comedy or is not hilariously ridiculous in every aspect, it just seemed like the focus was shifted somewhat on thematic content rather than nonstop organs. The gore was actually relatively tame (it's not tame at all) compared to the others I mentioned. A gripe strictly from the gore department is that there's not much of a splatter climax. You know, the culmination of everything where people are getting ripped into fourths and skulls splitting in half and whatever. There was already a ton of splattering throughout so it's kind of an irrational complaint, but all that had me thinking that the climax would be on another level of disgusting. The whole ending itself, in my opinion, was kinda weak. Notwithstanding, this movie is a damn great time. 4/5

Jigoku - We're all sinners and sinners burn in hell. Expectedly enticed by this 1960 film's status as the earliest "splatter" movie some three years before Herschell Gordon Lewis would forever sicken the cinema world with the remarkably gushy Blood Feast, I started Jigoku with giddy anticipation of its renowned Hell sequence. But first I was treated to desperate and gloomy drama of human morality. Some of the actual content confused me a little (is this Tamura guy a fucking ghost or what), but it's not hard to pick up on the big picture. The first two thirds are dreary in pace and tone, then the message as stated before (we're all sinners) comes back around to fuck you in the ass as it all completely and literally descends into Hell. This is where we are treated to some absolutely ludicrous visuals and sets and effects. It's no surprise that the ultimate splatter moment is one for the ages. I mean, obviously. But anyway, that's quite a buildup. The dramatic aspect, in my opinion at least, is captivating throughout the whole film, but explodes with such a drastic spike of insanity that I can only imagine the reaction when this was new. 4/5

The Wailing - I love going into movies not knowing at all what to expect. It was like that with the Seventh Continent, but we can see how that went. This movie was honestly intense from the start. I thought rabid humans might be a cliche, but the nightmare sequences early on are god damn horrific. The atmosphere is uncanny. I was even blindsided with emotions on a couple occasions. Dark and never not unsettling, this movie really had me in it, and some of the imagery is just next level. 4.5/5

Early Summer - Gonna be jumping around Yasujirō Ozu's massive film canon as he seemed to have the "slice of life" property of storytelling perfected. I wanna watch a bunch that don't all look like that completely, but I'm quite enamored with these humble melodramas, and after already watching Tokyo Story I figured I'd go first for the others in the Noriko trilogy, cuz Noriko is a stand up gal. It's all about family values. Noriko defies a marriage being forced upon her by her family, and, well that's it really. These movies are so slow but so real, and I feel attached the entire time. During the silent shots of the daily routine and activities, during the small talk, during the long shots of an empty room. Though I have very limited experience as of now, I can see that Ozu's style greatly potentiates the content of the film. This one had a few tracking shots but the vast majority of the scenes are still and firm, as with Tokyo Story, which was completely devoid of tracking shots. The viewer is subjected to less stimuli and in turn deeply immersed in the characters. Straight on, stationary shots often create a sense of sudden reality. Looking directly into the camera, and by extension us as viewers, like you are the one having this conversation, all parts played in equal part by yourself. Noriko has a way of impacting her peers, and you're included. 4/5

Oslo, 31. august - When you're working with a pretty general theme, in this case drug abuse/recovery, it's all about delivery. This movie is a bit slow, and overall a quite bleak character study of an former heroin addict. The events of the movie are carried out in just one day, and it's kinda surprising how much is packed into that. We see the frustration of the main character, unable to leave the past behind, unable to carry on, unable to reconnect with loved ones. The final scene is a heart breaker. 3.5/5

Tokyo Sonata - This movie is as real as it gets. I especially felt connected with it deeply as a lot of the themes are relatable for me. It also had that parental factor that hits me hard. Everyone in this family is suffering at each other's expense, and tension is at an all time high. The interactions between father and son, father and wife, wife and son etc are unflinchingly authentic in my eyes. As the film progresses and the downward spiral steepens, everyone here just wants to start over. Kids run away, get arrested, people are unemployed and helpless, the struggle is powerful as well as nebulous. Every individual is irreplaceable, and their respective feelings can never be felt by anyone else. We don't know how it is for others, it's simply impossible. But the final moments greet us with a bright and subtle optimism, a new beginning perhaps. We just want everything to be forgotten, all the disputes forever erased. The family's new lives continue on for a while, and the younger son performs a piano sonata as an audition for this music school after months ago being forbade to learn. As we watch the parents' eyes swell up slowly with moisture, as their faces give way to a fresh acceptance, I was losing it at the exact same rate as them while this elegant sonata carries us out of the film, perhaps feeling a bit rejuvenated myself. 4.5/5

Au Hasard Balthazar - What are humans but especially intelligent animals? That's something that I feel like this movie set out to express. It follows the disjointed lives of two animals, a donkey and a young girl. Both are constantly mistreated and abused, taken advantage of for nothing, and it's not unique for each, their misery is given and received in much the same way. That said, their lives would appear to be on equal ground, no better than the other. The plot was admittedly hard to make sense of a lot, but it's a discontinuous film in its own right. We're met with back and forth jaunts around the two parties, and I think the disorganized events serve to emphasize the emotional and empathic aspect of it all. And I'll guarantee you right now that it's impossible not to want a donkey of your own after watching this. 4/5

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 pm 

Just got back from seeing Overlord. What a piece of crap. I know that there were people here that were going to see it, so I'll save on the spoilers unless someone wants to talk about it.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm 

made this nifty top 50 movies chart over here at http://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 pm 

The New Kids - A brother and sister move to a different town after their parents die in a car crash. They end up in a rapidly escalating war with local punk James Spader and his crew. I watched this knowing it was rated R and from the director of Friday the 13th, and was still surprised how vicious the bad guys were. But the high stakes approach kept me mostly entertained. 5.5, or maybe 6 out of 10.

~Guest 253590
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 pm 

Well, I've been slowly accumulating the films of Orson Welles to prepare for The Other Side of the Wind, and I've loved almost everything I've seen by him. The Magnificent Ambersons is fantastic, as is Chimes at Midnight, Mr. Arkadin - the Corinth version, at least - The Trial, Lady From Shanghai, and The Immortal Story, which I'm about to rewatch.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm 

Metalhead1995 wrote:
Well, I've been slowly accumulating the films of Orson Welles to prepare for The Other Side of the Wind, and I've loved almost everything I've seen by him. The Magnificent Ambersons is fantastic, as is Chimes at Midnight, Mr. Arkadin - the Corinth version, at least - The Trial, Lady From Shanghai, and The Immortal Story, which I'm about to rewatch.

It's me now. I've terminated that account and am now this one. I prefer this Username anyway.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 pm 

The Ballard of Buster Scruggs - six western stories in a little over two hours from the Coen brothers has some absolutely brilliant sections and some not so much. Overall though it is classic Coens. 4/5

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 pm 

Just finished it. Fucking hated it. Worst project from the Coen's since the execrable Hail Caesar.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:49 am 

The Meg (2018)
Ah, a major blockbuster b-movie that knows exactly what it is. It's big, it's stupid, and it's a bunch of mindless fun. Could they have made this into something of a legitimately higher quality? Yeah, probably. As it is, though, you get a fun comedic action flick with a solid cast. 6.5/10

Cold in July (2014)
I like the trend of Unforgiven-inspired crime thrillers, and by that I mean ones with morally gray areas that treat life or death situations with grim, bitter reality. The twist in plot halfway eases the tension built in the opening scene in favor of a killer Don Johnson performance and a brutal 8mm/Snuff flavored thriller. Events are given time to breathe and sink in, their gravity never in doubt, and the simplicity of it all makes the suddenness and intensity of its violence hit that much harder. My only real complaint is that the crescendo built to happens too easily and without the character study of an Unforgiven or even a No Country For Old Men. Its still a hell of a ride, though, and one of Michael C. Hall's best performances. [b]7/10

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:11 am 

Kin (2018) showed that you can have all the ingredients of a good movie and still have a shit movie if they aren't mixed right. Great acting, photography, concept, music (by Mogwai!) dialog and special effects can't make this tedious bore of a story and completely unlikable characters any more palatable. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone even though it has quite a bit going for it. It's a weird sensation. Probably one of the best complete-waste-of-time movies.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:43 am 

Just watched The Bad Batch. Good lord, what a piece of shit. This was like the anti-Mad Max. Post-apocalyptic (maybe?) desert stuff but just intensely boring and stupid. Completely directionless. Laughably awful script. A scene where Keanu Reeves waxes poetic about life or some fucking thing, bringing back his awful Devil's Advocate drawl. So many scenes are just pointless and go nowhere and the interesting cast is totally wasted. The soundtrack seems like a random YouTube music playlist that was going on behind the movie in another Chrome tab. I honestly couldn't wait for this to end and hated everything about it.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:27 am 

Yeah The Bad Batch didn't work for me either on any level. It almost takes a conscious effort to create a post-apocalyptic setting with a child in danger, and fail to make me care about the kid. But TBB managed to do just that.

I finally watched A Quiet Place and had the opposite reaction. I was really rooting for the entire family enough that I wasn't bothered by logical issues like "Exactly what level of noise is safe, and in what location?"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:33 am 

I thought The Bad Batch was great. Real interesting subversion of that genre and it had a lot of great visuals. I liked that it started off having you think it was gonna be this violent Mad Max thing and then was just... something else. Found it odd and refreshing. I get why people would hate it though, I guess.

Saw Widows. This is a top notch action movie. It seems like something you'd have seen before, with a bunch of women taking over a heist that their dead spouses had been attempting to do. But there's a lot of depth here, mostly due to the acting and the script by Gillian Flynn and director Steve McQueen adding a lot of character nuance and realism. This is a movie with a lot of social themes on its mind and it never forgets the action either. McQueen's directing is jaw-dropping too - a gorgeous, visceral thing that you won't be able to turn away from, super artful and yet twisted and dark.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am 

The thing is that Mad Max fucking rules so if you subvert that it's gonna blow. It was also just like weird tonally. Like, why were there about 45 scenes of people sitting around eating grilled meats? Why did they have no problems showing the butchering and cooking of dead people, but in every single action scene they shied away from showing people get hurt or showing any blood? I can't remember any profanity at all. Then they showed the nudie mags that the main character was cutting up to do the weird mirror pose shot (which also made absolutely zero sense because the camera was positioned in a way that there was no way that she was actually looking at herself the same way the audience was), but then there was like zero nudity or sexuality outside of that, even at the weird rave thing?

I dunno, the scenes just dragged for fucking ever. The dialog was so bad. There basically wasn't any story at all and what shreds of it might've been there made no sense or were dumb or both. Like honestly a lot of times it kind of felt like a Neil Breen movie without Neil Breen in it and with a bigger budget.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
The thing is that Mad Max fucking rules so if you subvert that it's gonna blow.

Eh, not necessarily.

I enjoyed it as a weird art piece with a lot of cool visuals and a broad story about finding acceptance, being an "Other" and what not. It's not really a traditional film but it was intriguing to me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 pm 

That's why I hate Bad Batch, actually. The shots are absolutely gorgeous and the first third feels like it's building to something huge...but then nothing really happens.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:41 pm 

I watched The Wailing (after reading numerous positive posts here about it). It was a very well done movie and excellently acted, though I guess I would've liked there to have been some positive/redemptive qualities of it. It was quite bleak. That's just a personal preference though so I can't knock any points off of it for that. I'd love it if someone could help explain the ending to me though...

Who was the evil spirit and who was the good? It seems like the mysterious young woman was good, though if the father is to be held responsible for his "sin" of accusing/attacking the wrong guy (the Japanese man), then why did SHE tell him it was the Japanese guy in the first place? She did seem genuinely sad when the father disobeyed her and went to his home. Was the Japanese guy indeed a "good shaman" like the shaman they hired suggested and the evil creature the Catholic guy sees at the end is just a shape-shifter? Was the hired shaman the evil spirit all along, since it was he who was taking the pictures at the end or was he taking those to use to attack the evil spirit like he suggested the Japanese man was doing? Thanks!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 pm 

I made a top 50 chart myself.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 pm 

Diabeł, 1972

Director Andrzej Żuławski would probably be more renowned for the 1981 cult classic Possession, but a decade before he bestowed upon us this historical horror masterpiece, and believe me when I say it's quite literally one of the most insane movies I've seen. I'd describe it ass a cross between Possession and Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre despite coming out at least ten years before either.

After watching this and Possession, a distinct cinematic style is apparent, making heavy use of panicked camera work and frantic panoramas. This film has a darker quality to it though, considering the historical/folk aspect. Sets are sparse and desperate with a whole lotta candles. All brought together with an acid drenched soundtrack full of squealing guitar, Diabeł is as insane stylistically as it is thematically.

The goofy (for lack of a better term,) elements of mania come and go in an oddly natural and fluid fashion, making the traveling circus and jaw harp playing midgets and whatnot seem like the norm around these parts, rather than deliberately psychotic miscellanea. I've seen a lot of people saying it's too slow, and I don't get that at all as I found it madly intense from the start. I think it's a hugely enthralling and watchable film that is at the same time utterly deranged and unhinged. Psychologically nerve wracking the whole way.

If you're a Possession fan, then there's no reason you wouldn't love this.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:21 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
That's why I hate Bad Batch, actually. The shots are absolutely gorgeous and the first third feels like it's building to something huge...but then nothing really happens.

Yeah, exactly. Actually I'd say the shots were only gorgeous sometimes. There were quite a few where I couldn't help but think that I could have framed them in a more interesting way even though I know fuckall about making movies. I was almost wondering of those were reshoots or something.

Actually, to be honest, I thought A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night was also super overrated. I went in wanting to love it because of all the interesting peripheral stuff (the cover art, who made it, the concept, etc.) but the movie itself also dragged pretty bad after the setup. I don't think Ana Lily Amirpour is really a filmmaker I'm excited to follow.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:43 am 

I watched Gringo, which was a documentary about John McAfee, the lunatic tech millionaire who made McAfee anti-virus software and was a 2016 Libertarian presidential candidate.

All I can say is that this man gaslit his way into that Libertarian running and convincing people he was a viable candidate for President. No fewer than three of his former girlfriends in Belize noted he paid them to shit in his mouth, had potentially two of his neighbors murdered, raped a woman who was employed by him, bought a police force in Belize, had his own entourage of armed hitmen, and went on a ridiculous run from the law through Central America before escaping/being deported to the United States.

This was all before he ran for President.

JURM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:33 pm 

The last two movies I watched were:

Return of the Living Dead Part 2 - Its been about 10 years since I last watched it, and I'm going to make a mental note to make sure its 20 years before I do it again.

The Rise and Demise of Tower Records - an interesting look at how ignoring current trends can destroy a business from the inside, but also an interesting history of the business.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 am 

Stumbling through the Blade trilogy just now, I was stunned at how great the first one was until the final act at the temple where it kinda fell apart. Everyone seemed to hold the second as a major improvement so I was genuinely excited to see it. Well, 30 minutes in and it looks like everyone's wrong again: dogshit action, dogshit acting, dogshit cinematography, dogshit CGI (almost as bad as the first despite coming out 4 years later and a $10 million budget increase) and dogshit writing. They literally covered a major retcon from the first film by playing a black and white clipshow from the first movie while Blade VO's what really happened even though what we're seeing on screen doesn't gel with what he's saying. I don't think Del Toro is my most loathed director but he very well may be the most consistently awful big-budget director ever. At least Michael Bay made The Rock.

Oh yeah, and the rap music in this movie. Fucking LOL.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:04 pm 

Oh hell no! Blade 1 is awesome but Blade 2 is ludicrously awesome. That whole movie is cranked to 11 from beginning to end. Sure, the CGI is Nintendo 64 but who cares. And bad writing? What about when Ron Perlman says to Kris Kristofferson, "Listen shitkicker, you're about one cunt hair away from hillbilly heaven"?

You're just a hater. If it wasn't Del Toro you'd have loved it. Also, don't watch Blade Trinity.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:16 pm 

Welcome to darkeningday! If there's a movie that most people like? He hates it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 pm 

I've seen Blade 2 around a dozen times. It's extremely dumb fun.
acid_bukkake wrote:
Welcome to darkeningday! If there's a movie anything that most people like? He hates it.

FTFY
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 am 

Upgrade 9/10.
Great film had me hooked for 90 minutes , a film that you need to watch without reading any spoilers.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:28 am 

Yeah, Blade 1 was a real obscure indie movie that most people totally didn't like. :rolleyes:

I hate Blade 2 because the dialog sucked, the acting sucked, the action sucked, the plot sucked, the atmosphere sucked, the VFX sucked, the twists sucked, the music sucked, the cinematography sucked, even the quality of the Blu-ray was a huge step down from the first (although at least it didn't suck). The only thing that was legit cool was the design of the Reapers' mouths who ironically also sucked the most blood--vampire blood, mind you--in what's supposed to be a vampire movie.

Oh yeah, and the huge retcon from the first movie (Abraham Whistler having, like, not shot himself or something) and the "double twist" where Snipes kills his traitorous but also harmless associate instead of killing the literal final boss, should automatically put the entire movie in the dumpster for anyone who gave a shit about Blade 1. I can only assume that all of you guys were kids when it first came out and now can't watch it without rose-tinted glasses. That's the only way I can rationalize anyone liking this piece of shit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 716, 717, 718, 719, 720, 721  Next