Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
- The Blood of Heroes

Talked a tiny bit about it here (first paragraph contains spoilers, sort of). I want to watch it (again) but have no idea where I can find it.

I just looked this up and I've actually seen it! Suffice it to say, anything with Ruther Hauer involved is going to be worth seeing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:06 pm 

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - God this was violent. A raw, brutal slab of action. S. Craig Zahler somehow topped his previous movie Bone Tomahawk with this one, featuring all sorts of gruesome bones breaking, impacts you'll wince from even though you're just watching on a screen, and dimly lit torture chambers.

Zahler has a real different, no-frills style of filmmaking that eschews a lot of the bullshit you'd see in a Hollywood film, developing the story at a more natural pace and with a kind of B-grade pulp storytelling aesthetic that is unafraid to just jump into random hyperviolence at the drop of a hat... and the acting, even from pros like Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Carpenter, comes off as decidedly un-show-offy. Everything's unpretentious and feels real. I dig it.

No real moralizing and no happy endings, though it has a very old school sense of justice in a way that keeps it from being irredeemable. I dig this kind of indie-style stuff because it feels like it knows its intended audience inside and out.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:18 pm 

I was glad I finally got around to watching that. Bone Tomahawk was good, but even after Brawl came to Amazon Prime I just kept putting it off. Something gave me the impression the entire movie took place in prison, which seemed like it would be too visually monotonous for a 2+ hour movie. Thankfully it actually spent time at the beginning showing how he ended up there.

Zahler's next movie Dragged Across Concrete is apparently over 2.5 hours. Normally I'd whine, but Brawl was the length it needed to be so I'll set aside a day to watch the followup at some point.

Speaking of 2.5 hour movies I think I'm joining the camp that prefers the Suspiria remake over the original. I might have liked the remake even more if some of the German history subplots were trimmed a little. But it was a great idea to focus more on the dancing. And the remake had a way more memorable climax.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 am 

kingnuuuur wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
- The Blood of Heroes

Talked a tiny bit about it here (first paragraph contains spoilers, sort of). I want to watch it (again) but have no idea where I can find it.

I have two digital copies, one in glorious full HD but it appears to be a shorter cut (like 82 mins), the other is in SD but it's still a good picture and it's the full 100-ish minute version. If you or anyone wants either or both versions, PM me and I can upload it/them to Google Drive or something. Although I won't be able to for a few days as I'm currently away from home.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am 

Watched Captain Marvel over the weekend. Thought it was pretty good, better than some, if not most, of Marvel's latter origin stories. I think Doctor Strange was probably the worst one. The film more carefully towed the line of humor and drama without seriously undercutting the dramatic moments with ill-fitting humor (like the ending of Thor: Ragnarok and every scene in Doctor Strange). Handily the most socio-political commentary of any Marvel movie in the MCU, which I generally enjoy seeing. A lot of superhero films, and the genre in general, has been notably tone-deaf at times. How many black heroes have the word "Black" in their name? And one of the Iron-Man movies, I think the second, was basically "Atlus Shrugged for Kids."

Overall, a decent film. Marvel's formulaic handling of their movies still prevents many of them from breaking free and finding some serious footing all their own, however. In the vein of a female-fronted film, better late than never, I suppose, is the take-away here.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm 

Skinned Alive (1989) 3/5
A trans wheelchair-bound (how progressive!) old person and its children (a man and a woman) travel the backroads of the Midwest hunting for people to kill in order to make leather clothing from the skin of the dead. When their van needs repairs somewhere in smalltown Ohio, they find a mechanic who invites them to his family's cookout prior to him repairing their vehicle. The mechanic's neighbor, a man going through a divorce who uses alcohol to cope with that pain, notices something amiss about the new folk and takes it upon himself to discover what is wrong. The trio cannot help but satisfy their collective bloodlust as they kill indiscriminately in broad daylight. This leads to a final showdown between the family of killers and a drunk with enough problems already. Some decent humor and rather realistic reactions to the antics of the murderous bunch, this was certainly better than most of the late '80s/early '90s shot-on-video horror flicks out there. The closing song was good as was the gore despite certainly being done cheaply.

The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow (1959) 2½/5
A group of hot rodding kids are kicked out of their clubhouse but find a new place to hangout when a member suggests her family's abandoned mansion (who doesn't have one of those, right?). When the group gets there, they clean up the place then put ona Halloween party. A rival hot-rodding gang arrives ready for a fight or a race or something, but they decide to be chill and all party together not knowing there lurks a monster within the abode. Really silly with a ton of hip lingo from that period. Also, GODDAMN Amelia was HOTT! A full extra star for that!

The Thing with Two Heads (1972) 3/5
.A top surgeon is dying, so in a last-ditch effort in order to preserve himself he instructs his staff to perform a head transplant. The volunteer body is a Black deathrow inmate scheduled for execution for a murder charge. Instead of removing the inmates head, they only add the doctors head in a sense creating a "Thing With Two Heads." The Thing escapes and the police are in hot pursuit while the two heads constantly bicker and offer race-relation commentary. One of the few blaxpolitation forays into horror.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Brawl in Cell Block 99 - God this was violent. A raw, brutal slab of action. S. Craig Zahler somehow topped his previous movie Bone Tomahawk with this one, featuring all sorts of gruesome bones breaking, impacts you'll wince from even though you're just watching on a screen, and dimly lit torture chambers.

Zahler has a real different, no-frills style of filmmaking that eschews a lot of the bullshit you'd see in a Hollywood film, developing the story at a more natural pace and with a kind of B-grade pulp storytelling aesthetic that is unafraid to just jump into random hyperviolence at the drop of a hat... and the acting, even from pros like Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Carpenter, comes off as decidedly un-show-offy. Everything's unpretentious and feels real. I dig it.

No real moralizing and no happy endings, though it has a very old school sense of justice in a way that keeps it from being irredeemable. I dig this kind of indie-style stuff because it feels like it knows its intended audience inside and out.

That's a great description of it, agreed 100%. One of the stand-out movies of recent years for me.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 pm 

I am definitely checking out his new one when it's released this weekend - he's one to watch.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:38 am 

Occult (2009) - Another found footage movie from the director of Noroi. It's about a documentary crew investigating a stabbing spree incident on which the perpetrator's body was never found. Then they start following around the daily life of one of the survivors, who is experiencing lovecraftian paranormal phenomena and now believe that God have a mission for him, just like He had for the stabbing guy. If you watched Noroi you'll become surprised to see that the CGI effects continue as shitty as before, but it's forgivable as this is an extremely unsettling and suspenseful movie, certainly one of the best of the found footage as I've seen. The ending is certainly something I will never forget, but not for the good reasons

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm 

Critters: A New Binge - This is a web series whose 8 episodes have a combined runtime of less than 80 minutes, so I'm treating it as a movie. I didn't think it was as bad as some early reviews said. It ended up being about what one would expect from a Critters project by a director whose only previous film is Zombeavers. The critters get plenty of screentime, they're obviously puppets, they roll around and shoot quills, and they're hunted by blank-faced aliens with big guns. So it covered all the bases despite a clearly limited budget.

5 / 10, although I suspect people who are more fond of the franchise than I am would rate it lower.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Critters: A New Binge - This is a web series whose 8 episodes have a combined runtime of less than 80 minutes, so I'm treating it as a movie. I didn't think it was as bad as some early reviews said. It ended up being about what one would expect from a Critters project by a director whose only previous film is Zombeavers. The critters get plenty of screentime, they're obviously puppets, they roll around and shoot quills, and they're hunted by blank-faced aliens with big guns. So it covered all the bases despite a clearly limited budget.

5 / 10, although I suspect people who are more fond of the franchise than I am would rate it lower.

Whoa, I wasn't aware of this at all. I enjoy the Critters films, generally. It's one of the few old horror franchises that actually made sense doing a "now in space" film. You know, since unlike Jason, Leprechaun, and Pinhead, they actually came from outer space.

I may have to check it out.

I watched Brazil last night for the first time. I'm still not really sure what to think of it. I know it's a classic, and one of Terry Gilliam's most well-known films, but I didn't quite get into it. Basically his version of 1984, when you get right down to it. His whimsical style was there, but I'm not sure the movie really grabbed me. Maybe I needed to see it in it's heyday.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 am 

Watched and immensely enjoyed "Invasion USA" last night - it is hard to think, offhand, of a more entertainingly over-the-top stupid 80's action film (with an honest-to-goodness bazooka "draw!" showdown at the end).

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:08 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I watched Brazil last night for the first time. I'm still not really sure what to think of it. I know it's a classic, and one of Terry Gilliam's most well-known films, but I didn't quite get into it. Basically his version of 1984, when you get right down to it. His whimsical style was there, but I'm not sure the movie really grabbed me. Maybe I needed to see it in it's heyday.

It gets better with each viewing, as Gilliam likes to pack a ton of visual details into his films that take a while to digest. I wouldn't call it a personal favorite, but it leaves a lasting impression.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:35 pm 

Brazil is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it grabbed me the first time. Just a perfect blend of bleak cynicism and whimsical silliness for me - different strokes? I assume you saw the director's cut and not that awful theatrical cut - sad or happy ending?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 pm 

DeNiro was also the best Bat M(ech)an(ic) ever in that movie.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 pm 

Brazil is fucking perfect, it's a shame Gilliam never again hit that peak, though 12 Monkeys got close. Tideland was trash.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:42 pm 

I think I like The Adventures of Baron Munchausen as much as Brazil, but that's partly because I saw it when I was too young and it had a big impact on me. Objectively speaking it's a mess of a movie. A weird, wonderful mess.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:58 pm 

To the surprise of no one, Us was amazing.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Brazil is one of my favorite movies of all time, and it grabbed me the first time. Just a perfect blend of bleak cynicism and whimsical silliness for me - different strokes? I assume you saw the director's cut and not that awful theatrical cut - sad or happy ending?

I saw the bleak ending. Maybe it's like Blade Runner, which I had to see three times before it really clicked for me. Hard to say.

In watching some classics I've never seen, I finally also watched Apocalypse Now. The two and a half hour version. Not sure if that's theatrical or Director's Cut. A fascinating film. Surreal, a mix of horror, war, and fantasy films that ventures from the horrors of war to pure horror.

Robert Duvall's Kilgore was a favorite character, but then, I can't think of a time I didn't love Robert Duvall in a role.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Brazil is fucking perfect, it's a shame Gilliam never again hit that peak, though 12 Monkeys got close. Tideland was trash.

Tideland was one of the worst movies I've ever seen... I absolutely hated it and felt gross just watching it. I should've just turned it off but kept thinking, "it's gotta get better..." and it never did.

Brazil and 12 Monkeys are both great, though my favorite of his will always be The Fisher King.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm 

The New York Ripper - Definitely the worst of the handful of Fulci movies I've seen. This was sleazy in an uncomfortable way as opposed to a campy and fun Showgirls way. It's hard for me to say anything positive about it except that I found the duck sounds (?!) pretty funny. 4 / 10

Hell or High Water - Cops & robbers story with a good pace and solid performances. 7 / 10

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:42 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
The New York Ripper - Definitely the worst of the handful of Fulci movies I've seen. This was sleazy in an uncomfortable way as opposed to a campy and fun Showgirls way. It's hard for me to say anything positive about it except that I found the duck sounds (?!) pretty funny. 4 / 10

Hell or High Water - Cops & robbers story with a good pace and solid performances. 7 / 10

Ha, I just saw the New York Ripper for the first time. The duck sounds confused the hell out of me :lol:. I enjoyed it.

I also saw my first Argento film, Tenebrae. I had huge hopes for this but I felt a bit disappointed in the story. The gore wasn't that great either, except a bit near the end.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:25 pm 

I only recently started watching movies from the bigger names of Italian horror. Of the Argento movies I've seen (Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebrae, Opera, Dracula 3D) I think Opera was my favorite. It had at least two truly bizarre plot points but was entertaining overall.

With New York Ripper, when I wasn't laughing at duck noises or being grossed out by extended foot-in-crotch shots, I was thinking about how City of the Living Dead and The Beyond were much better.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 pm 

So Starchaser: The Legend of Orin was epic and I strongly recommend it to any and everyone who likes adult animation and Star Wars.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I only recently started watching movies from the bigger names of Italian horror. Of the Argento movies I've seen (Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebrae, Opera, Dracula 3D) I think Opera was my favorite. It had at least two truly bizarre plot points but was entertaining overall.

I kinda go back and forth on Opera and Suspiria as my favorite Argento flick. Though Phenomena is a close third. I definitely recommend checking that one out too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:48 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Brazil and 12 Monkeys are both great, though my favorite of his will always be The Fisher King.

Downloaded for rewatching.

I saw Fight Club yesterday night:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film536945.html

It's great but the ending... :nono:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:30 am 

Us - A dense, layered probe of the state of America told through a thoroughly entertaining horror flick. This had so much stuff going on and so many things to unpack in it, but the more I think about it the more I liked it. Visually it was gorgeous and evocative, and the whole came off as a real epic with a lot of memorable scenes. Most horror movies for years haven't been about much of anything. It's so gratifying to have something like this with a genuine vision and idea behind it.

Dragged Across Concrete - Gorgeously shot and expertly directed, with the kind of narrative pacing I like from Zahler's other films. Two crooked cops get suspended for a racist stunt caught on video and descend into the underworld. I was confused by some of the Fox News type of bullshit coming out of their mouths, but then again it's realistic and what I would expect these kinds of guys to say in real life. The action is elaborate and takes its time to unfurl and the violence is stark as ever.

It feels weird liking these Zahler movies when apparently the alt-right considers them celebrations of their lifestyle - though that just shows how monumentally fucking dumb the alt-right is...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am 

Us was pretty decent but fell apart in the middle IMO. The beginning and ending were cool. I think Jordan Peele is really good at a certain type of visual storytelling in horror, but some other styles just fall flat. I did not like his take on the slasher genre during the middle section of that movie at all, if I'm being honest. It sort of sucked the energy out of the movie for me.

That being said, it was refreshing seeing a new original story in horror and I will probably be seeing it again.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:52 am 

twistedknife wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

Ha, I just saw the New York Ripper for the first time. The duck sounds confused the hell out of me :lol:. I enjoyed it.

I couldn't take New York Ripper seriously at all. The Donald Duck murder voice was beyond ridiculous.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am 

rexxz wrote:
Us was pretty decent but fell apart in the middle IMO. The beginning and ending were cool. I think Jordan Peele is really good at a certain type of visual storytelling in horror, but some other styles just fall flat. I did not like his take on the slasher genre during the middle section of that movie at all, if I'm being honest. It sort of sucked the energy out of the movie for me.

That being said, it was refreshing seeing a new original story in horror and I will probably be seeing it again.

Peele's action scenes, in Get Out and this one, seem to incorporate a non-horror type of influence, a vaguely action-y or comedy type of spicing to it. I can see why you'd feel this way - Get Out wasn't as scary as I wanted it to be at the end due to that. But this one I thought did it better and I liked the multiple different confrontations going on.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:53 am 

My whole thing was that I didn't get the sense of dread or terror that I would expect in a scenario--and in a movie--like that. Without being spoilery, I just didn't buy it. I think the term is verisimilitude, the suspension of disbelief. At no point did I get any emotional feeling that their lives were actually in danger, and I think I know why but I don't want to discuss it in much detail until I've seen it again just to be sure. Sometimes opinions change but this is how I felt leaving it. But man that third act was really nice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 am 

Spoiler: show
Yeah there were some moments where it was like 'okay, they could've easily died right there if the plot hadn't mandated against it.' But honestly that's a small nitpick for me and a lot of movies do it. It was entertaining for me in spite of that.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am 

It's almost like the family didn't put up much of a fight. Some of that I can excuse I guess but like... the male lead was a total wimp that didn't really respond in a way that I think a real father of a family would if his house was intruded by people wishing them harm. Little stuff like that. Or the little boy basically leading his double to the closet by hand... I'm like aren't you guys the ones being threatened here? Just kick his ass and run away! Ok, he was really young, but still I think even a 7 or 8 year old me would have acted more like my life was being threatened. And the dramatic monologue went on a *tad* bit longer than I think it should have, but that's minor. How come Tim Heidecker's doppleganger family straight brutally murdered them all within 5 seconds of showing up but the other family was so long and drawn out without doing shit? Things like that just made that whole section fall flat. I think if one of the family ended up getting horribly killed in that living room (and the rest made to watch) while they first all met each other would have really set the tone and made the stakes much more serious and very apparent. Anyway that was my only gripe with the movie but unfortunately it has to be a big one because that entire section lasted so long! And another thing that sort of took me out of it was that any suspense was being killed any time those characters made one of their weird vocalizations. I 100% understand the written reason why they didn't speak English but god damnit when I saw Tim Heidecker doing raptor noises I thought I was straight up watching a Tim and Eric short sketch.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 am 

So,, without reading spoilers, am I right in assuming the baddies of Us

Are changeling-like?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:32 am 

More or less yes, but with its own narrative twist that I liked and thought serves well as a vehicle for real world commentary.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 am 

rexxz wrote:
It's almost like the family didn't put up much of a fight. Some of that I can excuse I guess but like... the male lead was a total wimp that didn't really respond in a way that I think a real father of a family would if his house was intruded by people wishing them harm. Little stuff like that. Or the little boy basically leading his double to the closet by hand... I'm like aren't you guys the ones being threatened here? Just kick his ass and run away! Ok, he was really young, but still I think even a 7 or 8 year old me would have acted more like my life was being threatened. And the dramatic monologue went on a *tad* bit longer than I think it should have, but that's minor. How come Tim Heidecker's doppleganger family straight brutally murdered them all within 5 seconds of showing up but the other family was so long and drawn out without doing shit? Things like that just made that whole section fall flat. I think if one of the family ended up getting horribly killed in that living room (and the rest made to watch) while they first all met each other would have really set the tone and made the stakes much more serious and very apparent. Anyway that was my only gripe with the movie but unfortunately it has to be a big one because that entire section lasted so long! And another thing that sort of took me out of it was that any suspense was being killed any time those characters made one of their weird vocalizations. I 100% understand the written reason why they didn't speak English but god damnit when I saw Tim Heidecker doing raptor noises I thought I was straight up watching a Tim and Eric short sketch.

Yeah it was like It Follows where the inner mechanics of how things worked were a bit inconsistent. I chalked some of it up to the doubles of the main family being led by Lupita's character who was obviously different, but that doesn't answer all of it. It would've made more sense if one of them had gotten killed or if the doubles had been more overtly, lethally violent - but then again I did like the cat-and-mouse stuff that unfolded after. I was wondering if there was some commentary in how the black family acted the way they did, as opposed to the even more savage and animalistic white doubles, but I dunno - I'll see it again soon anyway.

On the weird vocalizations, once it clicked when I was driving home that Peele was saying we don't understand people "on the other side" then it made more sense and I liked that aspect of it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am 

Speaking of Zahler, I recently got around to watch Bone Tomahawk too. Excellent stuff, I actually enjoyed it more than Brawl. Loved the dialogue, directing, atmosphere, pacing, the characters (even the one-offs); all great from start to finish. Despite the constant tension I felt, expecting the inevitable violence, the movie managed to catch me off-guard almost every single time it happened. The dialogue definitely reminded me of that one sci-fi novel of his that I read a few years back; quirky in a way and yet authentic and with serious depth.

Looking forward to this new one of his.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Kerrick wrote:

Downloaded for rewatching.

I saw Fight Club yesterday night:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film536945.html

It's great but the ending... :nono:

Nice, enjoy The Fisher King!

As for Fight Club... I think it's super over-rated, myself. Granted, I watched it a few years after it had come out and had been pretty hyped up. Also, I figured out the [super cliche] "twist" ending about 10 minutes in which certainly detracted from my overall enjoyment of it. It's a well made movie and all, but not one I ever care to re-watch.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 am 

Watched a bunch of movies yesterday. First, I went to the theater to catch Us, then I double-featured Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete at home.

Us was alright. I definitely like Get Out more. Basically I'm on board with rexxz's spoilered comments above. The two monologues were too long and exposition-y (plus the weird voice just seemed kind of cheesy to me), the center section action wasn't really something I could buy, and to be honest I thought, while the social commentary was really interesting, the whole main lore of the movie was basically completely bonkers in such an unbelievable way that I couldn't help but keep questioning it as soon as it was revealed. Normally it doesn't take much for me to just let things like that slide, but that didn't happen for me with this one. My major problems with the movie were largely offset by the (mostly) great performances, and tons of really great shots.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Fuck man, this definitely hit a lot of the same notes as Bone Tomahawk for me where it's pretty slow paced buildup and then the brutal violence was such that it was incredibly uncomfortable to watch. That kind of stuff usually doesn't really bother me, but Zahler just has a way of going totally over the top with the violence in a truly shocking way with just enough realism to it that it gets to me. Like, the action scenes are so far away from "cool" that I got the heebie jeebies a bit. Super bleak movie.

Dragged Across Concrete - Thankfully this one was a bit of a palette cleanser as it's got a far less nihilistic bent to it (though still a far cry from everyone holding hands and singing). As for Empyreal's comments about the Fox News type commentary by Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn - I kept getting vibes that this was some sort of way for Gibson to atone for his racist abusive comments in his own past? Sorta confronting his own shitty behavior in real life by having a character's life get utterly ruined for the same shit on screen. Dunno how I feel about that, but I can't think of a better way for him to address it in a role.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42 am 

To me all of those weird lines early on in Dragged Across Concrete came off as a bit trollish - just sort of a weird eye-sore on the movie, given how much Zahler claims he isn't political in the least. But then again at the same time it would've been weird if those characters talked about how much they loved feminism or something, so I guess I can't bitch about it too much. Just seemed glaring in the beginning, for stuff that didn't end up mattering much later on.

I haven't seen Bone Tomahawk since it came out years ago, but Brawl in Cell Block 99 was my favorite right now. There was just something exhilarating about that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 728, 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734 ... 737  Next