Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:52 am 

Us felt like an amazing experimental short film bloated out to two hours with one of the lamest exposition scenes and the most pointless twist I've seen in a while. This really needed to cook a bit longer in Peele's brain, in Peele's script and on Peele's editing floor, it felt like a rough cut of a rough draft of a rough idea. Couldn't even touch the amazingly taut and polished Get Out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:05 am 

I saw Us a second time the other night and it's definitely a more ambiguous, floaty sort of metaphorical movie as opposed to Get Out, but I liked it better overall if I had to pick. Felt like he was digging into the themes deeper and tackling more complex issues, which is something as Get Out wasn't that simple itself either. I really appreciated the ambition. Couldn't stop thinking about that movie for days.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 am 

The Dirt - (There's already a thread about this in the main forum.) This moves pretty fast since it's only 1:45 and covers the start of X-Mass Motley Crue through Vince's return. Never boring, with the Ozzy scene being a highlight. 6 / 10

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 pm 

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Krull holds up all that well. Yes it looks and sounds amazing but the dialog and plot is almost unwatchable.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am 

I finally saw Get Out after borrowing it from a coworker. Somehow, I managed to avoid all spoilers on this one all this time and I have to say, I fucking loved it. A brilliant film. Carefully put together, excellent characters and build-up. It built and grew towards the climax with the the style and pacing of a classier late-70's or early-80's horror/thrillers. Where we get a teaser in the beginning, then a methodical build. I have to say, the style, pacing, mood, atmosphere, characters, surprises--the whole thing--really raised my expectations for Jordan Peele helming the new Twilight Zone. They might finally have the best person for the franchise since Rod Serling and Harlan Ellison.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:12 am 

We watched The Dirt too some nights ago. Enjoyed the movie very much, though - as with all these kind of movies - I would've liked to see more about the music and less about the other shit. But Razzle and Ozzy with his great haircut were there!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:24 am 

Saw Us last night, and while I can understand some of the criticisms upthread, I didn't feel that way about it myself. I thought it was pretty damn well-executed throughout, really tense and gripping and I thought the twists were great. I'm a big fan of the doppelganger concept, so this was right up my alley. Compared to Get Out, the themes were a lot more ambiguous (like OK, it's about the prison system, but I mean what the movie is actually trying to say about it), so I'd have to think more on that or maybe watch it again before commenting on those specifically. But for me, purely as a horror movie, I loved it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am 

Yeah the middle act just totally killed all of the suspense and dread for me, unfortunately. I would love to see a reworked version or another cut but I know that won't ever happen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:44 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Saw Us last night, and while I can understand some of the criticisms upthread, I didn't feel that way about it myself. I thought it was pretty damn well-executed throughout, really tense and gripping and I thought the twists were great. I'm a big fan of the doppelganger concept, so this was right up my alley. Compared to Get Out, the themes were a lot more ambiguous (like OK, it's about the prison system, but I mean what the movie is actually trying to say about it), so I'd have to think more on that or maybe watch it again before commenting on those specifically. But for me, purely as a horror movie, I loved it.

That's the first I read of it being about the prison system really.

Spoiler: show
I took it as a metaphor/allegory for America's political and classist divides, which is what I've seen most people talking about so far. Interesting about the prison thing though.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm 

I liked Us as well, my one criticism of it is a bit of a nitpick, but

I wish they had left the doppleganger's background ambiguous rather than explicitly spelled out the whole "government experiment" story. Up until then I was viewing them/the underground complex as sort of a spiritual "purgatory"/parallel dimension/etc. which created a much stronger and unsettling sense of dread than getting a concise real-world explanation. Plus it made the prologue, with the rain, ominous tracking shots of the dark open ocean, and tense music even more unsettling, like our world was slowly opening this gateway to purgatory. Kind of reminded me of The Shining in that respect, which Peele is clearly a fan of. The doppleganger's presentation as class-struggle metaphors was already obvious enough that getting a real-world explanation didn't really add anything IMO.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:00 pm 

I thought the idea of it as a government experiment later abandoned was interesting and fit with the movie's message (as the Tethered were then downtrodden by their own government as real-life poor people are), but that did also make the story more confusing and possibly contributed to some people not liking it as much. It would've been cool if it was more of a supernatural other-worldly sort of thing, yeah - would've made for some even more headfucking imagery too.

putrevomitory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 am 

Robin Hood from 2018, such a terrible film. The only shining ouvre was the action scenes, other than that it is some mangled form of hero worship, who this time doesn't lose his love interest completely after doing so once. A try for a darker Robin Hood that doesn't quite work.
tyrexya - metal beamin' raps, & then some
i draw logos

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:45 pm 

Ebola Syndrome (1996)

Fuck, this is a movie that lives to it's reputation. Starring Kai as the sickest motherfucker of cinema's history, who murders an entire family before attempting to burn a little girl alive and flees to South Africa. 10 years later he works on a restaurant (on a priceless scene, Kai makes an improvised fleshlight with some raw meat, masturbates, then returns the piece to the freezer) and ends up raping a dying woman from some local tribe, who was infected with Ebola. Kai turns out to be immune to the virus and infects and murder 3 more people, using their infected meat to make hamburgers before returning to Hong Kong, kicking off a bi-continental Ebola outbreak.

A hilarious horror comedy with no goofy or satirical characters, the humor comes from the depraved behavior of most of the cast, while the horror comes from the serious take on the disease's effects and a few scenes of sickening gore. Sadly, the director seemed to have watched Cannibal Holocaust and included a few scenes of pointless real animal violence, something I could never accept on a movie. Also, there's a subplot with the surviving girl of the initial massacre hunting Kai, that is aborted mid-film and never reaches a conclusion. Still, this movie gets a 8/10 from me

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 pm 

I liked US too but would completely agree that the exposition scene at the end was a bit too much. Overall enjoyable would give it a 7 or so.

Also watched Pet Sematary, and thought it was decent but wouldn't really recommend it. Acting is good but the child actors are kinda bad. IMO Stephen King's stories have lost their grittiness and edge and don't really hold up with the ideas of modern horror.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 am 

Here are some movies I have recently been watching:

Glass 7/10 - Starts promisingly but turns into a bland and exchangeable Hollywood superhero movie
Serenity 9/10 - Loathed by critics, I admired the drama for its impressive twists, stunning locations and marvelous acting
Bad Seeds 7/10 - Quirky French-Canadian comedy film about an indebted actor, an old grumpy farmer and an unhappy lesbian who team up growing pot
The Mountain Between Us 5/10 - This survival story is an insult to actual survival stories as it looks like a walk through a park and focuses on a vapid love story
Cold Pursuit 8/10 - Gritty action-thriller playing in Colorado's winter landscapes with great characters portrayed by excellent actresses and actors
The Wandering Earth 7/10 - Epic Chinese science-fiction movie with astonishing special effects but a shallow plot
Happy Death Day 2U 6/10 - Disappointing sequel that is missing the charisma of the original film and adds unnecessary science-fiction elements
Best F(r)iends, Volume I 7/10 - Surprisingly entertaining drama featuring two intriguing characters that suit the actors' capacities and identities
Best F(r)iends, Volume II 7/10 - The second part turns into a sinister thriller with many new intriguing characters and a dynamic conclusion
Arctic 9/10 - Credible survival drama with an outstanding Mads Mikkelsen
Climax 9/10 - Experimental mixture of a social science study, dancing film and horror movie that offers some food for thought
Bleeding Steel 7/10 - Entertaining science-fiction film with great pace and stunning stunts taking place in China and Australia
Badla 8/10 - Indian remake of a Spanish film about a young entrepreneur accused of murder who discusses her mysterious case with her veteran lawyer
Greta 8/10 - Gripping psycho-thriller with outstanding actresses Isabelle Huppert and Chloe Grace Moretz
Alita: Battle Angel 8/10 - Visually stunning science-fiction epic that still has a heart and soul and great acting performances
Us 8/10 - Mysterious horror movie that entertains from start to finish but suffers from a few plot holes
Triple Threat 8/10 - Spectacular international action film featuring stars such as Iko Uwais and Tony Jaa
Burning 7/10 - Intellectual, intriguing and mysterious slow-paced South Korean drama and crime flick that asks more questions than it actually answers
Captive State 8/10 - Dynamic dystopian science-fiction film with a interesting plot and clever twist
Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10 - Not perfectly accurate but truly moving drama about one of the world's greatest bands ever
Upgrade 9/10 - Sinister dystopian science-fiction film telling a twisted tale of revenge
10 x 10 6/10 - Gloomy thriller about the mental confrontation between a kidnapper and his victim that gets redundant after a while
Kesari 9/10 - Epic Indian war movie about an army of twenty-one Sikhs defending a British outpost against ten thousand invading Afghans
Hotel Mumbai 10/10 - Incredibly brutal and gripping drama based upon actual events that will leave you shocked
Radius 7/10 - Sinister science-fiction film with numerous twists about a man and a woman whose lives change for the worst after a supernatural event

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:33 am 

The Highwaymen (2019)
Solid period piece telling the true(ish) story of two Texas Rangers who turned the tides of the manhunt for Bonnie & Clyde. Whenever you count Kevin Costner out he pops up with something like this, and Woody Harrelson always delivers the goods. Seeing a few Deadwood stars pop up together is always a pleasure, too, and it's incredible how often it happens. The only real drawback to the film is in how drab much of it is from a plot perspective, seesawing between character study and procedural without finding the best balance, and its greatest strength lies in showing the folk hero status of Bonnie & Clyde and why they appealed to the destitute during the Great Depression. Several characters are seen getting handouts from the duo and these scenes serve in solid contrast with the cold blooded murders of random police officers. Their deaths were treated with more blunt dignity than the Roger Corman classic, as well, and what's more important is the reason the Texas Rangers needed to kill them rather than arrest them. 7.5/10

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm 

I finally watched Resolution and The Endless, and it was one of the best things I've ever done with my life :nods:

putrescent_stench wrote:
I don't know if they've already been mentioned, but for anyone craving some metal in their horror, The Devil's Candy from 2017 and Pyewacket from 2018 both use metal songs, and both are decent flicks.

This year has yielded some interesting horror from around the globe:
Terrified (Argentina) - Mysterious deaths and disappearances lead to an investigation by paranormal researchers and an ex-cop. Decent scares ramp up to some body-horror brutality.
Good Manners (Brazil) - Quiet drama that takes a hard turn about a woman trying to raise a werewolf child.
Satan's Slaves (Indonesia) - Although the title sounds like a 70s exploitation flick, this is more a gothic-type tale about children uncovering their mother's dark past.
mon mon mon Monsters! (Taiwan) - A group of bullies and a bullied kid being drawn into their circle capture a monster, making it their plaything, not realizing that another monster is searching for it.
The Cured (Ireland) - A post-post-apocalyptic tale in which the government has found a cure for a rage virus. However, the cured infected remember what they did as rage zombies, and they are treated as social pariahs.

These are some of the more interesting horror movies this year, though I also enjoyed All the Creatures Were Stirring, Apostle, Before I Wake, Cargo, The Endless, The First Purge, Hereditary, Hold the Dark, Mandy, Mohawk, Mom and Dad, A Quiet Place, The Ritual, Summer of 84, Terrifier (not to be confused with Terrified), and Upgrade. Not to mention the two animated Godzilla films that dropped on Netflix. All in all, it's been a good year for horror/sci-fi/thrillers.

thanks for these lists, half the films I really liked, and the other half I didn't know, so will check them out...

darkeningday wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think Krull holds up all that well. Yes it looks and sounds amazing but the dialog and plot is almost unwatchable.

I :love: Krull.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 am 

aloof wrote:
I finally watched Resolution and The Endless, and it was one of the best things I've ever done with my life :nods:

I really enjoyed those too. I'm looking forward to Synchronic by those guys, even though I know nothing about it other than the same guys who made Resolution and The Endless are involved haha. Have you seen Spring? It's also by Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson. I'm yet to see it...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:08 am 

Spring is next on my list, though it's not in the same "universe" as Resolution and Endless (and the reviews are very mixed)... looking forward to Synchronic, too, and -hopefully- another installment in the "ufo death cult" series :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 am 

Pet Sematary adaptations will never match the sheer macabre morbidity of the book - that was a uniquely dark work of art that Stephen King never even wanted to release. This new film was good though. Better than the old movie. Good feel for atmosphere and visuals in a classic horror style, and if you like old 70s and 80s underground horror like the directors did, you'll dig this.

There were a few dumb moments though, and the beginning seemed to be whiffleballing it, sort of just skimming things over - maybe it would've been better if they took more time. And lead actor Jason Clarke isn't really convincing, though all of the other leads are great. Overall not perfect but I had fun.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:48 pm 

aloof wrote:
Spring is next on my list, though it's not in the same "universe" as Resolution and Endless (and the reviews are very mixed)... looking forward to Synchronic, too, and -hopefully- another installment in the "ufo death cult" series :D

Right on. Yeah, the plot/trailer for Spring didn't really grip me, but I'd still like to see it at some point.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:53 am 

I'm sorry to say I did not like Spring in the end... an old idea, somewhat re-imagined, some good moments/effects, but meh. you can skip the first half hour and still watch the same movie... the last dialogue/monologue is something you would have written aged 14, when in love with the girl/boy in class who never noticed you. let's hope better for Synchronic.

I also watched the Suspiria remake, and was pleasantly surprised to (mostly) really like it. Dakota is not a great actress for that kind of thing, but she was still okay...

and I would have gone for a more sombre ending, without the effing dancing around the revelation/massacre, but anyway.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
aloof wrote:

Right on. Yeah, the plot/trailer for Spring didn't really grip me, but I'd still like to see it at some point.

I actually loved Spring. The beginning threw me off tone-wise but the rest of the movie I really enjoyed. Well-acted, great atmosphere, superb locale, and I could at least care about their plight. The plot itself wasn't magnificent or anything but for going in to something I never heard of, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am 

^Good to hear you liked it. I'll check it out one of these days. I used to watch movies all the time, but between being married, having a kid, and working two jobs... movies have been backburnered pretty significantly from me haha.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 am 

Watched The Silence on Netflix. It's like Bird Box, except with sound. Also better.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:39 pm 

And here we have the first trailer for the next Star Wars movie.

Youtube: show

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:02 am 

watched "Byzantium" (2012) again and loved it :)

that s**t is no longer Star Wars.

Scuttlegoat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:14 am 

Inferno (1980) 2/5

The sequel to the original suspiria. It is a total mess. The only way to somewhat know what is going on is if you have seen Suspiria and even then it gets severely silly. Theres a scene where someone gets attacked and killed by cats and it´s just some poor production assistant throwing these poor things at the dude over and over :/

Someone gets his throat slit by a random hot dog vendor.

At the end a skeleton wizard appears.

Seriously, the movie is so hokey, it´s fascinating. But it´s also hard to follow. The whole argento thing with basically writing a b-movie and then shooting it like an arthouse flick is even more pronounced here.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 pm 

The Sinful Dwarf (1973)

A dwarf live with his mother on a hostel or something, kidnapping young girls and keeping them high on heroin, so they don't resist when being raped by the paying customers. A couple arrives at the hostel, and the dwarf and his mother decide they will make the girl join their white slavery business.

The guy that plays the dwarf is absolutely brilliant and completely steals the show as one of the most depraved horror movie villains, the sick fuck is so freakish he makes Peter Bark looks normal. The entire movie is pure filth and sleaze, the weirdness factor is multiplied by a really unsettling soundtrack and completely off-beat attempts at comical relief in the form of the dwarf's ugly mother doing some Carmen Miranda like performances that come out of nowhere during the movie. Also, the main actress has some massive tits and shows it during 50% of the movie, which is a plus in my book

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 am 

Over the weekend, I finally watched The Apartment, from 1960.

Finally as in, during my research on writing and writers, Billy Wilder came across as very highly regarded, and this is one of the films he wrote. So it's been on my list for a while, and the ex and I watched it during our first "try this again" date.

Outstanding film with sharp writing and punchy direction. Dialog is brilliant yet is never lost even while the film rolls through it's breakneck pacing, slowing down when it's necessary to punctuate character development and emotion. This is why I wanted to see it--layers of character development and background are frequently delivered with an exchange of one or two lines of dialog, or a single action.

The film stars Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. Lemmon is a corporate stooge who allows his apartment to be used for extramarital affairs by several executives in his company. Because of this, he rapidly climbs the corporate ladder. Eventually, however, he gets first-person insight into this situation when he sees how it affects a woman who has his interest. I don't want to mention anything else, as it's a great film and I highly suggest it. Shirley MacLaine was brilliant in this, and her emotion and delivery carried the film, powerfully humanizing characters. Initially upbeat, comical, and whimsical, the story takes dark turns into character motivations and emotion--again, excellently delivered by Shirley MacLaine along with Jack Lemmon.

An example of the great writing:

Shirley MacLaine hands Jack Lemmon her compact.
In this single incident, he realizes something about her, but she is not aware of his realization.
Jack Lemmon: "The mirror... it's broken."
Shirley MacLaine: "Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel."

A wider conversation can be made on this concerning the misogynistic manner that these executives blithely destroy women for their personal pleasure, how they abuse a fellow in their company to those ends, and how he is initially willfully ignorant of the damage until he sees a face on it. But these executives are not painted as good guys, and one in particular is painted as heartless monster. There are elements of a romantic comedy here, but the core of the film revolves around personal growth and the ease at which people find themselves in cruel traps of life.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:37 pm 

aloof wrote:
watched "Byzantium" (2012) again and loved it :)

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Over the weekend, I finally watched The Apartment, from 1960.

:beer:

The Machinist:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film361537.html

REALLY nice! :bow:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:35 pm 

Blue My Mind - Almost plays like a German language take on Ginger Snaps, except she becomes a mermaid instead of a wolf. And it's less horror, more coming of age drama. That's the best description I can think of. Might be worth watching if you're curious. 6 / 10

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:23 pm 

Nightmare Beach (1989)

Some guy from a biker gang gets executed, but first he claims innocence and vows to get back to avenge himself. Then, his body disappears from the grave and someone on a bike starts a killing spree during spring break.

Disposable 80's slasher, I gave it a chance because it was directed by Umberto "Cannibal Ferox" Lenzi, so I was expecting some vicious shit. To my disappointment, the killer's modus operandi is electrocution and immolation, so there's barely any gore at all. It's a pretty standard slasher, with all accompanying stupidities and clichés, but at least it was fun, something I can't say about other 80's crap like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Friday the 13th Part 6

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:09 pm 

...part 6 is peak F13

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm 

^What he said. Part 6 is part of the “Friday the 13th sequels worth seeing” trilogy, alongside Part 4 and Part 7. Everything else is either a complete retread of the first movie (Parts 2 and 3), boring (Freddy vs. Jason), awful (Part 5, Part 8, and Jason Goes to Hell), or only worth watching as a comedy (Jason X).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm 

If we're being fair, part 2 has my favorite kill (wheelchair), but part 6 is the only one that's really in on the joke...or that had a plot beyond "don't be a teenager."

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 pm 

Part 6 is awful, I prefer the batshit craziness of Part 7 or even Jason Goes to Hell

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:28 pm 

Because of the basic plot similarity I decided to do a double feature of Hell Fest and The Funhouse (1981) even though I had already seen the latter. Hell Fest wasn't great by any means, but I thought it was easily the stronger of the two. Besides having more interesting visuals and better pacing, it didn't have the clear weaknesses that The Funhouse did. Funhouse had that pointless kid brother character and a bland final girl who didn't even seem like that much of a fighter.

Quote:
Part 6 is awful, I prefer the batshit craziness of Part 7 or even Jason Goes to Hell

Hmm, I've always thought Part 6 was among the best. The beginning rides the line between brilliance and stupidity, where it feels like the director is saying "Oh you didn't like that Jason wasn't in Part 5? You want him back huh? Well here he is!" Then it remains fast and fun the whole way. Good ending too, which sets up Part 7.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 pm 

Has anyone mentioned that I Spit On Your Grave is getting a direct sequel 41 years later?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4058836/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 am 

In Fabric - This was about an evil dress that kills people. It was breathtakingly insane and more than a little bit funny. So many just head-scratching shots and nightmareish, funhouse visuals. The music being by Cavern of Anti-Matter (band of Tim Gaines from Stereolab) did wonders too. I've never really seen anything like this. Check it out if you can.

Under the Silver Lake - a somewhat Lynchian fantasy type of fable, with a lot of delirious colors and oddball scenes of Andrew Garfield's main character trying to figure out this paranoid conspiracy about a missing girl. A lot of very un-subtle "Hollywood/modern culture is shallow" commentary. But like It Follows, it succeeds through the feeling and human emotion director David Robert Mitchell evokes through the weird abstractions going on.

I could've gone without the overt exposition, which was about as subtle as a wrecking ball, but the style and story were epic and drew me in. Definitely more ambitious than It Follows. He seems to really be shooting for the stars.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 729, 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735 ... 737  Next