Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:54 pm 

I must have forgotten what he did in Buffy - unless we're talking that 90s movie I never saw before the TV show.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I must have forgotten what he did in Buffy - unless we're talking that 90s movie I never saw before the TV show.

It was the corny, campy movie he appeared in, not the serious and dark TV series.

Anyways, R.I.P. Rutger Hauer.

Hauer's performance in Blade Runner was one for the ages.

Luvers666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I haven't seen The Hitcher but should put that on my list!
For sure. As Empyreal wrote, his performance in that is chilling. Favorite film of Hauer's. He will definitely be missed.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
I haven't seen The Hitcher but should put that on my list! I always really enjoyed Ladyhawke too for its 1980s campy cheesy glory but regret ever watching Hobo With A Shotgun though; I walked out of the theater feeling dirty.

Buffy is a lot of fun though. Ha, I got the DVD for free for eating five boxes of cereal.

Hobo is the right kind of dirty for me, and I'd say his run as the titular Hobo (with a shotgun) is actually my favorite of his roles.

Damn...somebody better make a crossroads kinda deal, because Lance Henriksen is up there...

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:55 am 

Empyreal wrote:

I never watched the tv show, but the movie is a heck of a lot of fun. I definitely recommend watching!

Luvers666 wrote:
Kerrick wrote:
I haven't seen The Hitcher but should put that on my list!
For sure. As Empyreal wrote, his performance in that is chilling. Favorite film of Hauer's. He will definitely be missed.

Alright, it is officially on my watch-list. :) I look forward to checking it out.

acid_bukkake wrote:
Hobo is the right kind of dirty for me, and I'd say his run as the titular Hobo (with a shotgun) is actually my favorite of his roles.

He did a fine job acting in it as I remember. I've seen a lot of horror and action movies in my day and usually have a strong stomach for violence - especially in campy comedies like Dead Alive or something, but Hobo With A Shotgun was pretty depraved and sadistic (and ultra-violent) and it just didn't sit well with me. Actually that movie and Funny Games have really affected my outlook towards movie violence and its entertainment value, but that's perhaps a discussion for another time haha.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am 

I remember trying to find that movie years ago to review for my blog but failing to do so. I should be able to do it easier now.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 am 

Kerrick wrote:
I've seen a lot of horror and action movies in my day and usually have a strong stomach for violence - especially in campy comedies like Dead Alive or something, but Hobo With A Shotgun was pretty depraved and sadistic (and ultra-violent) and it just didn't sit well with me.

Hah, that's how I felt. Or rather, I enjoyed it, but was also glad to see that I'm not completely desensitized in my old age. :lol:

Plus it was cool to see a few Trailer Park Boys folks - Rob Wells's brief bit in the beginning, the lawyer from TPB's (forget his name) cameo as the police chief, and one of John Dunsworth's daughters plays Abby.

Also, that "The bear is a solitary creature..." bit had me in stitches. I like to think he improvised that just like how he improved "tears in the rain."

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I remember trying to find that movie years ago to review for my blog but failing to do so. I should be able to do it easier now.

Funny Games? Few movies would I call "brilliant," but that one I'd consider so. (I've only seen the remake - which is made by the same directer and is apparently shot-for-shot the same as the original, just in English instead.) I tentatively, highly recommend watching it. (Don't watch the trailers though; they give too much away.) It's intentionally unlikable, and you walk away feeling pretty hollow. However, it's pretty masterfully done and for the viewer who's willing to chew on it for a while, it gives a lot to think about.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:31 am 

No I meant the Buffy movie.

Haven't seen either Funny Games either though. Might have to try it - I could go either way with movies like that from what I remember reading.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:05 pm 

Funny Games was total garbage. Not interesting at all and the whole fourth-wall breaking "YOU ARE COMPLICIT!!!!1111" was one of the least interesting artistic statements ever. Black Mirror's Bandersnatch had all kinds of problems but was way more engaging.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Also, that "The bear is a solitary creature..." bit had me in stitches. I like to think he improvised that just like how he improved "tears in the rain."

He did. He improvised most of the character, mostly just reacting to what was going on and giving himself motivation.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:21 pm 

I absolutely adored Funny Games. The one with Tim Roth. I guess that must be the American version, but it's a shot-for-shot remake from what I understand.

There's a point in the last 3/4 of the movie where you're either going to guffaw and curse everyone who recommended the film, or you're gonna be like "Okay that was some weird dope shit and I love this movie.". There's not a lot of room for middle ground on this one. I can confirm that the whole movie made me very uncomfortable and sad in a way that I enjoyed. Not a lot of movies can create that impact. Total hopeless feeling.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:06 pm 

Yeah, Funny Games was one of the better "message movies" I've seen. Regardless of what you think of it, Michael Hanake is one of the best director's living today.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 pm 

High Tension - Yikes, and I often complain about how Scream 1 hasn't aged well. Did I actually like this 10+ years ago? Solid gore and a cool makeshift weapon cannot redeem a movie with an ending this dumb. 3 / 10, although I will defend Aja's Hills Have Eyes remake, and I still want to see Crawl.

Thoroughbreds - The poster calls it "Heathers meets American Psycho," and one of the teenage would-be killers admits an inability to feel real emotions like Dexter did. Despite not being totally original, this is still worth watching for good performances and an engaging story. Not as good as Heathers, but better than the kinda similar Tragedy Girls. 6 / 10

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:06 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
High Tension - Yikes, and I often complain about how Scream 1 hasn't aged well. Did I actually like this 10+ years ago? Solid gore and a cool makeshift weapon cannot redeem a movie with an ending this dumb. 3 / 10, although I will defend Aja's Hills Have Eyes remake, and I still want to see Crawl.

Thoroughbreds - The poster calls it "Heathers meets American Psycho," and one of the teenage would-be killers admits an inability to feel real emotions like Dexter did. Despite not being totally original, this is still worth watching for good performances and an engaging story. Not as good as Heathers, but better than the kinda similar Tragedy Girls. 6 / 10

High Tension was pretty awful, though it's been probably about a decade since I saw it as well. The ending was so derivative and my friend and I saw it coming a mile away.

Heathers is fantastic! There's a certain injustice that Mean Girls is more popular and is basically just a watered-down, lamer, PG-13 version of Heathers... As for Scream, what about it didn't age well in your opinion? Yes, it's very "1996", but just like Heathers or the Buffy movie, it's time setting is part of the charm IMO.

Speaking of Scream, I [regrettably] watched the Scream tv series which was very stupid and lacked just about everything that made the movies good. It was basically a generic teenage soap-opera but with a masked killer running around and some "meta" horror movie references to keep the movie fans watching. I guess it's getting a reboot but that one doesn't look much better.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:24 pm 

Mean Girls is better written, better acted, and funnier than Heathers.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Finally watched Errementari, the blacksmith and the devil. I expected to like it but wow, I adored it. There was a really obvious fakeout plot twist and then the actual story starts. It did so much I never expected. Including genuinely funny slapstick moments.
Can't wait to rewatch it with the better half.

Xlxlx wrote:
Yo, that movie's fucking dope. Dude who plays the caged demon does an absolutely wonderful job of acting through all that make up. It's a weird movie in the sense that you go in expecting a horror film and end up with a weird, off-the-wall, delightfully folklore-flavoured narrative.
Also, that ending is just fucking metal.
Spoiler: show
Dude just decides to go into hell carrying a blessed church bell to fuck them up for messing with his life? Absolutely loved that.

Jonpo wrote:
FUCK YES, talk about a satisfying ending! Also some of the best practical effects/movie make up I've seen in a minute. It's likely destined to be a personal favorite.
Spoiler: show
Finding out Sartael is just some fucking scrub really opened a whole new world for me. Also the first scene with the chickpeas was hilarious.

I did told you:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?p=2845730#p2845730
Do NOT fuck around with basques. :evil:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:54 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Mean Girls is better written, better acted, and funnier than Heathers.

You think??? I'm curious, which one did you watch first? I didn't see Mean Girls until long after I had seen Heathers (numerous times). The whole time watching Mean Girls, I was constantly thinking how it was just a watered-down rip-off of Heathers, which undoubtedly affected how much I enjoyed it. Maybe if I had seen Mean Girls first, I'd have a different opinion.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:22 pm 

Like any other cult movie aficionado, Heathers was required viewing by sophomore year of high school. I enjoyed it and still do, sure, but the humor in Mean Girls holds up better. It's a much more clever take on things I'd seen firsthand. There's more satirical critique in Heathers but, to me, it's closer to Juno than I'd particularly care for.

It also doesn't have Christian Slater. That's a plus in my book.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
As for Scream, what about it didn't age well in your opinion? Yes, it's very "1996", but just like Heathers or the Buffy movie, it's time setting is part of the charm IMO.

When I talk about Scream aging poorly, I don't mean it flat out sucks now. It's just that I probably would have given it at least 8 / 10 when I first saw it, while these days it's more like a 6 / 10 for me.

The biggest problem is that genre self-awareness doesn't seem as clever as it used to. Back in the day my reaction was "Wow! Whoever wrote this clearly watched many of the same horror movies I did!" That doesn't seem mindblowing anymore. If anything it seems kind of obvious that the writer of a 1990s slasher would be familiar with Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

Re: Heathers vs. Mean Girls, I guess I need to watch Mean Girls again. But I doubt I'll ever appreciate it as much as Heathers, which improved so much with multiple viewings I knew I had to buy the DVD, and find myself mentally quoting way more than I should.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:22 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Like any other cult movie aficionado, Heathers was required viewing by sophomore year of high school. I enjoyed it and still do, sure, but the humor in Mean Girls holds up better. It's a much more clever take on things I'd seen firsthand. There's more satirical critique in Heathers but, to me, it's closer to Juno than I'd particularly care for.

It also doesn't have Christian Slater. That's a plus in my book.

Gotcha. You're not the first to compare Heathers and Juno though I never saw the similarities beyond the generic high school setting and such. Heathers is pretty dang dark and Juno is all cutesy and whimsical.

ChineseDownhill wrote:
When I talk about Scream aging poorly, I don't mean it flat out sucks now. It's just that I probably would have given it at least 8 / 10 when I first saw it, while these days it's more like a 6 / 10 for me.

The biggest problem is that genre self-awareness doesn't seem as clever as it used to. Back in the day my reaction was "Wow! Whoever wrote this clearly watched many of the same horror movies I did!" That doesn't seem mindblowing anymore. If anything it seems kind of obvious that the writer of a 1990s slasher would be familiar with Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.

Re: Heathers vs. Mean Girls, I guess I need to watch Mean Girls again. But I doubt I'll ever appreciate it as much as Heathers, which improved so much with multiple viewings I knew I had to buy the DVD, and find myself mentally quoting way more than I should.

I hear ya. Yeah the whole self-aware/meta horror thing has been waaaaaay overdone, for sure. It's unfortunate that the barrage of sub-par flicks do inevitably detract from the classics' effect.

Corn Nuts.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 pm 

Self aware horror was just one of those things that was novel at the time but it's already been played out; everyone knows all the jokes and tropes about horror and there's not much else to do at this point. Now we've come full circle to serious directors actually making real horror movies again. Maybe there'll be more satirical ones in another generation from now, who knows.

Watched a few things lately...

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Not the best Marvel flick, starts out a bit slow and almost like a totally traditional high school rom com. But the action gets good and the acting is fantastic. Some trippy, cool visuals and good fight scenes. Solid anyway.

Her Smell - Really artful, intense film about a punk rock lady who's fallen on hard times and addiction and trying to get sober again by the end. The first two acts are totally insane and move at this warped, drunken lurch of a pace with an almost dreamlike feel to it. The way it tells its story is so fascinating and wild and there's probably plenty to dissect here that I haven't even picked up on. Great incisive character study and, again, it's just such a feast to look at. It ends a bit too easily but then again, I'm glad it wasn't some kind of exploitative thing that dwelled too long in ugliness either.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - Melissa McCarthy is a shitload of fun to watch and this movie about a failing author trying to scam collectors out of money by forging letters is intriguing if not really that exciting as it goes on. I didn't hate this but it mostly seemed content to kind of bounce along introducing some random plot threads here and there. Great acting, but it was mostly just a movie to keep on in the background and didn't seem to care about truly delving into its characters' psyches, like so many of these biopic type things.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 pm 

Her Smell totally wrecked me. Granted I was drunk, so pretty much anything with any emotional angle would've made me cry, but damn it got me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:04 pm 

Yeah Elizabeth Moss is fantastic in it. The first part of it was almost like a horror film at times, but then at the end it was just breathtaking.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 pm 

I ended up watching Crawl at the cinema a few nights ago. It's not going to win any awards and it's not the best movie I've seen this year, but it was an enjoyable watch. The movie itself wasn't very long - under 90 minutes - but it was good for a very simple premise.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:49 am 

Over the weekend I watched a bizarre film from 1976 called Island of Death.

It's basically "the Evangelical Christian from America violently forces his beliefs on others."

A guy and sister (apparently) visit a Greek island, where they're very happy with the high number churches there, but any time they see something that doesn't meet his standards of Christian morality, they attack and murder them and photograph it. Oh, but Evangelicals can't do anything without raging hypocrisy, and sure enough, the film is packed with it. The violence has that gritty feel common from 70's cinema where it manages to look a bit fake but still a bit uncomfortable. Ample nudity throughout and a surprisingly positive representation of homosexuality--which of course is targeted by the psychotic antagonists.

Also features a man fucking a goat almost immediately.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 am 

That movie is such a piece of shit that I didn't talk to my best friend when he had me watch it for a few days.

It does, however, have a bulldozer decapitation, so there's that.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:00 pm 

^I remember reading about that movie some time ago, though I don't remember where. Sounds pretty awful...

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
That movie is such a piece of shit that I didn't talk to my best friend when he had me watch it for a few days.

If someone made me watch a movie for a few days, I probably wouldn't talk to them again either.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm 

LOL.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:57 pm 

Lulz

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 pm 

Lolcano

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 pm 

Having also seen it, I can confirm it is an underwhelming, cucked up movie.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 pm 

Girls with Balls - Jeez Netflix picks up some weird stuff. This is a 75 minute French movie about a women's volleyball team whose bus trip takes them into the territory of people who like to hunt humans. It's not easy to rate something like this on the usual 1 - 10 scale, but I think it's much better than its 3.9 IMDB rating implies. An English language remake with a slightly higher budget could be fun.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:18 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Over the weekend I watched a bizarre film from 1976 called Island of Death.

Reading your description, I wondered where I'd seen a movie just like it before, and surely enough the Cinema Snob made a review about this same movie some 9 fucking years ago. Holy shit time passes by so fast.

Disembodied
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:01 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Jeez Netflix picks up some weird stuff.

No, they really don't. I was disappointed when a friend gave me a netflix guest account and scrolling through the films I found it wasn't much better than what commercial TV offered.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:49 am 

My big problem with Netflix is they only have 2 fucking movies from before 1990 at any given time. Big exaggeration, but you know what I mean. I prefer Prime Video because they just have BOATLOADS of shit. Old stuff, new stuff, such a wide variety that you can't even scratch the surface just browsing the menus. You're better off using the search function for specific things you want to watch. I mean they don't have everything, how could they? But I'd say they have probably 3 out of 10 things I search for, where with Netflix it's more like 1 out of 50.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 pm 

The Babysitter - I'm surprised this was actually good, felt like watching Superbad's McLovin being chased by serial killer stereotypical American bullies. 8/10
The Lion King (2019) - OK movie, I never watched the original, so I can't say how it compares. 8/10
Run and Kill - Some weird black comedy / action movie that have a reputation because of a scene in which a kid is immolated alive while her father watches. Excluding that scene, which is actually pretty harrowing, it's a pretty boring movie with unfunny black comedy and actionless action. 5/10

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:45 pm 

Escape Room - Sony must have franchise plans for this since it made over $150 million worldwide on a $9 million budget. I thought it was just watchable enough that I'll probably see the sequel, but somehow not as gripping as I'd hoped. 5.5 / 10

Has anyone seen Critters Attack!? I can't justify spending $5 to rent it from Amazon if it's as bad as many people are saying.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 pm 

So Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was straight up garbage. I'm pretty befuddled at the positive response it seems to be getting. Actually walked out an hour in. Maybe the last hour redeems it?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 737, 738, 739, 740, 741, 742, 743 ... 746  Next