Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:40 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Anyone see Miracle Mile? It's one of the most bizarre 80's American flicks I've ever seen. It starts off as this kinda silly romcom, but then, like, 20 or so minutes in it takes a genuine 180° in terms of tone and plot. The end result is pretty devastating, and actually really dark and terrifying. And it's all filmed in this super 80's style, complete with a Tangerine Dream score and typical 80's Hollywood sidekicks, which makes the experience all the more intense as the film goes on. Also, it's definitely one of those films that merit going into blind; I bet the emotional impact is like 10x stronger once you reach the end. Really weird (and kinda depressing) shit from Hollywood.

What the fuck man, I literally just watched that last weekend. It definitely started off kinda silly but when it went off the rails, it went off completely. I loved how the film went though. I felt the tension and insanity. The varied notion of "wait, they heard this from one guy, and everyone's going along with it. What's real here? This is a fever dream." The way the panic spreads and you aren't sure if it's for real. A surprisingly strong film.

My son bought A Way Out for his XBO, and as we played it, I caught so many references to Shawshank Redemption, I said we had to watch it. So my son has now seen the top movie on IMDB. He absolutely loved it. He thought it was one of the greatest films he's ever seen. I'm glad to see his ability to get into dramatic films has settled in.

I also showed him Robocop for the first time. The good one. The original film. The uncut version. He loved that one, too. It's a fucking classic.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 pm 

John Wick, Chapter 3: Parabellum is the weakest of the series so far. It's the moment where the movie stops sticking true to itself and starts descending into self-parody, with action sequences that run longer than they should and a plot that desperately tries to make good on the larger world hinted at in the first two but only serves to expose too much. Sure, the main plot point of the first - revenge over a dog - was laughable, but the movie used it as the launching point for a grieving man to face his demons (via many brilliantly choreographed and filmed action scenes).

Here, though, we start to see the usual decline of a film series really take hold, something only Die Hard with a Vengeance has escaped. Characters are introduced and overexposed with great brevity, multiple repetitions of the same type of combat occur too often (what wrestling fans call "finisher spamming"), and we're left on the cliffhanger that, ideally, should have been the ending to this chapter and story.

What's worth noting, though, are both the returning side characters and their actors (Ian McShane is a global treasure, Lance Reddick might be my favorite of the overall series, and Laurence Fishburne hams it up with gusto) and further exploration of Wick's history. The new additions are a mixed bag, though, with Anjelica Huston owning her scenes while Asia Kate Dillon makes me think I'm watching a Syfy original, and then Halle Berry lies somewhere in the middle...but that's where she's always been, not great but not bad, always fitting the material without making it better or worse. We get a great appearance by Yayan Ruhian, the legendary Mad Dog from The Raid, and even a fun surprise from Robin Lord Taylor, but Mark Dacascos must've been told he was in an Austin Powers movie with how awful and over-the-top his schtick was. When Ruby Rose gives a better villain performance, I mean....

It's not bad, really, but after the genius of the first two? A letdown. I'm totally on board with the promised fourth film, particularly if it pays off what's been set up here, but I won't be going in on the same high that the first two gave me. 6.5/10

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am 

John Wick Chapter 3 is not only my favorite of the series, it's my 3rd favorite film of all time. I don't really have any pre-set spiel to follow that statement up with, that's just how things are for me. Went and saw it 4 times in theaters, not only because it's my favorite film series of all time, but because the action blew me away. And really that's all I give a shit about, the action. I can admit that the JW3 story is easily the most paint-by-numbers "go see this person, who'll tell you to go to this person" type story, but I don't give a heck about story, the story can go fuck itself. It's all about the action and while Chapter 3's action may seem overdrawn to you, I feed on that shit. The longer it takes John Wick to kill a guy with a knife, the BETTER. The more the merrier. I live for that character and the choreography of which he kills people with.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:24 am 

I liked John Wick 3. I like the series and look at it as some action escapism. That said, in chapter 3...
Spoiler: show
John Wick absolutely died at the end of the movie, though. Falling off a building after getting shot at point blank range will kill anyone. He is Superman at this stage.

Still, looking forward to seeing chapter 4.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm 

Love Exposure, 2011

Gotta come in here and acknowledge the cinematic miracle that this film is. Even at four hours long every second is immense, and delivered with such a vast bombardment of themes and scenarios and feelings.

It's basically a demonstration of the lengths love will make one go through. I didn't really expect to cry at all, let alone as hard as I actually did, several times, just couldn't even keep it together. It has something for just about every sect of film enthusiast and is nonstop miraculous fun and I could probably watch all four hours again right now.

I was frightened, amused to hysterics, overwhelmed with joy, devastated by sadness and heart break, disgusted, ultimately to have all my faith in everything restored.

7000/5 for anyone that's ever wanted a film that just puts on a clinic in every way

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 pm 

I dug the hell out of John Wick 3. I saw it twice in the theaters, the second time being after being dissapointed with Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and needing something good to wash the taste down with something good. Frankly, I love the direction the narrative is going in, and am anticipating the fourth entry.

On an entirely different note, I watched Out 1: Spectre, which is a four-hour abridged version of a 13 hour film, and it was quite interesting. It's narrative was presented in roughly the same order that the 13-hour version, but it's scenes are cut together in a seemingly under-organized way, which creates a rather unnerving feeling. Being that the film was made in response to the May '68 Revolutions in France, it effectively creates the type of frantic atmosphere that was going on at that time, and while the 13-hour version captures the fatigue of starting a revolution, and figuring out who's against you or on your side, the 4-hour version captures the hostile confusion that's more internal.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 pm 

Climax - The only positive thing I can say about this is the opening dance sequence probably required serious effort to choreograph. Once that ended, I just wanted the movie to be over. The characters, the dialogue, the "mystery" of who spiked their drink - all of it ranged from dull to annoying.

Don't take my word for it though. I gave this a 2 / 10 while its IMDB average is a very respectable 7.2. Can't remember the last time I was that far from the consensus.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm 

Himizu

Sion Sono is officially the king of my heart

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

AndromedaVessel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:44 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
Sion Sono is officially the king of my heart

He's finishing a movie with Nicolas Cage, might be out this year or the next.

This weekend I watched Bacurau and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

Bacurau is a Brazilian movie about a town in a northeastern state that finds itself cut off from the rest of the world after their matriarch dies. The town disappears from online maps, phone signals get jammed and people turn up mysteriously killed. Pretty darn good thriller/suspense, my only complaints is that the "near-future" aspect is hardly explored or emphasized, so I don't see much of a reason for the movie to even mention that it is set in "a few years from now" other than an in-film TV report and a gadget seen towards the end. Also, it has Udo Kier!

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li... should I even say anything? For me it has the same problem the Tekken movie had, making an original story and retconning the backgrounds of any characters on-screen from a franchise whose lore has been estabilished for almost or more than twenty years prior. It really made me think they just got the movie license and used a script that was laying around for some time and just changed the characters names as they saw fit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:01 am 

Been watching a bunch of stuff lately...

Good Boys - Pretty great, sharp comedy. Kick ass acting from the little kid leads. It's a coming of age story and a raunchy Superbad-esque comedy done quite well, with jokes packed into every scene and a lot of fast-paced, wry humor. The character writing makes it stand out because you're invested, so the jokes hit harder. Just a well made film. I'll see it again. Between this and Booksmart there are some killer new comedies coming out.

Ready or Not - A shitload of fun - like The Purge or You're Next except actually good. A barbed horror-comedy attacking the 1% in a fairly predictable but still entertaining way. The acting is solid and there's some great suspense, and as it goes along it speeds up to a frantic pace and becomes even more fun proportionately. It's not at all subtle, with some of the lines the villains are given, but it's super tight and well done. I want to see more from this director.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Hadn't seen this before. I really liked the first two acts with the suspenseful build up. It's slow as molasses but it's so damn interesting because they spoon-feed you absolutely nothing, just leaking the details at a snail's pace. The ambiguity and confusion felt by the characters translates to the viewer. The final act is a lot of fast-paced fun, maybe a little too long, but I can see why this was beloved.

The Nightingale - Absolutely beautiful, harrowing film. So full of pain but also catharsis, and it subverts the 'revenge' film genre in ways that a lot of the old guard didn't want to try. You shouldn't see this if you react to violence, especially sexual violence, on screen. But damn if director Jennifer Kent (The Babadook) didn't create an absolutely scathing condemnation of power structures. Also visually gorgeous and wonderfully acted.

The Pyramid - Shitty found footage horror set in a pyramid. Really bottom of the barrel stuff. Bad characters, no suspense; what was the point of any of it?

Tigers Are Not Afraid - Ambitious horror/fantasy in the mode of Pan's Labyrinth or similar films. A bunch of kids living on the street running from violent gang members and also, maybe, supernatural hints. This was an efficient film that just went for what it wanted to do, and with the gorgeous shots of the Mexican landscape and surrealistic ghost visuals it creates a super thick mood and vibe. Violent and sad and yet also it inspires wonder. Definitely one people will be talking about.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:22 pm 

The Green Inferno - weirdly, this movie started pretty suspenseful, but when the cannibals appeared, it turned to shit very quickly. 5/10
Twins of Evil - hardcore witch-burning Christians join forces with a atheist doctor against a Satanist vampire noble. Oldschool vampire flick with the titular twins being a pair of hot girls, but is sadly lacking on incestuous scenes. 7.5/10
V.H.S 2 - Much better than the first and Safe Haven deserves a full-length version. 8/10

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 am 

It's pre-October now, so I'm diving into horror films with my son. He wanted to start off re-watching Alien and Aliens. Theatrical cut of both films. Didn't get time to watch Alien 3. Not sure if we'll start with the theatrical or Director's cut on that one, as they're quite different.

On my own, watched Burial Ground (or Nights of Terror, I believe). An Italian zombie film with almost no plot at all that was clearly just a derivative of Fulci's superior Zombie/Zombi 2. Surprisingly poor make-up effects throughout. For instance, the mask would be a skull shape, but the actor's nose would just be painted black with the intention that it'd be invisible, apparently. Instead, it just looked like a dude wearing a mask. Didn't help that you could almost always see their eyes in the rotted skull holes. One scene was a direct rip-off of a death in Zombie, with shattered glass instead of jagged wood.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - Hadn't seen this before. I really liked the first two acts with the suspenseful build up. It's slow as molasses but it's so damn interesting because they spoon-feed you absolutely nothing, just leaking the details at a snail's pace. The ambiguity and confusion felt by the characters translates to the viewer. The final act is a lot of fast-paced fun, maybe a little too long, but I can see why this was beloved.

That's a good'un for sure. I re-watched it not too long ago. Have you seen the one from 1956? It's been a loooong time since I've seen that one, but I remember it being surprisingly good for how old it is.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:14 pm 

No I need to see that. Will do so this Halloween.

I've been stuck inside for a hurricane that never happened today, so I rewatched Arrival and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World so far. Both thought provoking but entirely different. Arrival in particular is so labyrinthine and cerebral. Not shit you can just turn on whenever.

Gonna rewatch IT later on in preparation for the second part this Friday too.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm 

^Right on. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the 1956 Invasion flick. It's been so long that I only remember bits and pieces of it.

I just couldn't connect with Scott Pilgrim. A friend hosted a movie night some while ago and that was the chosen flick. I ended up leaving halfway through it because it just grated on me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:34 pm 

It's one of my favorite movies. The visual style is great and the way they wrote the humor is so quick and sharp. I notice new stuff I either didn't before or forgot about every time. Such a damn jam-packed experience.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:37 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's a good'un for sure. I re-watched it not too long ago. Have you seen the one from 1956? It's been a loooong time since I've seen that one, but I remember it being surprisingly good for how old it is.

The '56 and '78 versions are both great films with really solid storytelling, atmospheres, and characters. There's a cameo in the '78 film that is more fitting when you know the '56 version. Contrary to popular belief, the original movie was not made from inspiration by the "Red Scare" of the time. The filmmakers said that interpretation happened to be coincidental. The only downside to the original is that the film studio didn't care for the downer ending, and they tacked on a happier one that doesn't fit the mood of the overall film. Still, though, both are classics worth watching.

The '93 version is largely forgettable aside from being an early role of Gabrielle Anwar, later known for her character in Burn Notice. I haven't even seen the "final" remake from 2007, just called "The Invasion" with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. I didn't hear anything good about it, though.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 am 

Scott Pilgrim... is basically Speed Racer (2008), but with a more annoying main character, and by a worse director. XP

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 am 

Watched a few more movies.

'71. A lean, no bullshit thriller set during the Troubles in Belfast. And I don't mean no bullshit in the sense that it is simplistic, but rather, it doesn't try to make any lofty statements about war, or Irish politics. The narrative is magnificently constructed, and the cinematography is gritty and slick, like most 2010's movies and Netflix productions, but I think it works really well with the setting, not to mention it is gorgeous. It is absolutely worth your time.

Kes. This one was beautiful to watch, but not manipulative in any way, which is refreshing since it's about a relationship between a bullied child and his bird. That sort of stuff could easily go into cliché territory, but it doesn't. Its realism works to its advantage, and the whole film is just comfy.

Another Year. Goddamn I love Mike Leigh. He's the sort of director who can make you optimistic about life and also make you deeply uncomfortable. I don't think I've seen a drama film with such emotional complexity. It is hard to watch, as it has some very bleak, depressing scenes, including a few where characters fail immensely at their sexual advances, but it doesn't go too far so as to make you unnecessarily miserable. Also, this is one of those films where you are encouraged to respond to characters in any way you like, which I think is great as it provokes discussion and makes you think about relationships. No one is immensely likable, but at the very least you can understand and empathise with the characters. An intricate, almost epic drama. It is not as powerful of a study about fucked up people as the masterpiece Naked was, nor is it as emotionally affecting as Secrets and Lies, but it is definitely among his most thought-provoking films.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 am 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
and by a worse director. XP

Shit, that's too spicy even for me. Edgar Wright has never made a good movie but he's also never made Jupiter Ascending.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am 

I can't think of any movies I've seen by Edgar Wright that I don't love. One of my favorites. The Cornetto trilogy is great and even Baby Driver is a shitload of fun. One of those guys I'll check out anything by at this point.

Quote:
The '56 and '78 versions are both great films with really solid storytelling, atmospheres, and characters. There's a cameo in the '78 film that is more fitting when you know the '56 version. Contrary to popular belief, the original movie was not made from inspiration by the "Red Scare" of the time. The filmmakers said that interpretation happened to be coincidental. The only downside to the original is that the film studio didn't care for the downer ending, and they tacked on a happier one that doesn't fit the mood of the overall film. Still, though, both are classics worth watching.

The '93 version is largely forgettable aside from being an early role of Gabrielle Anwar, later known for her character in Burn Notice. I haven't even seen the "final" remake from 2007, just called "The Invasion" with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. I didn't hear anything good about it, though.

Yeah the 78 version was excellent at the pacing. I liked the kind of anxious, paranoid vibe. I'll check the 50s one out and compare em.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am 

Just finished Hail Satan?, which is now on Hulu.

By all means, watch this documentary. It strikes so many emotional chords in such a short time. I laughed at moments, then was irate at other, enjoying the commentary, and disgusted by the opposition. Heavily political, with a finger firmly on the pulse of contemporary American society and the way things are spiraling. Frustrating realizing how badly indoctrinated America as become under the feet of Evangelicals, but comforting to see people fighting against it.

A truly excellent film, and highly recommended to anyone interested in socio-political turmoil of the US these days.

Fun side note: A few years ago, I went to my first local atheist meet-up with my son. It happened to be a Satanic bake sale to support the new local chapter of the Satanic Temple. I joked that it took me a while to get to one of those atheist meet-ups, and the first one I chose--and the one I took my son to--was a Satanic Bake Sale.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:16 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I can't think of any movies I've seen by Edgar Wright that I don't love. One of my favorites. The Cornetto trilogy is great and even Baby Driver is a shitload of fun. One of those guys I'll check out anything by at this point.

His trilogy is absolutely fantastic! Hot Fuzz is my favorite but all three are a ton of fun. I haven't seen Baby Driver but the trailers didn't make it look like something I'd enjoy much.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 am 

The Gunfighter short, 9mins, funny, but NSFW
Youtube: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:33 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

His trilogy is absolutely fantastic! Hot Fuzz is my favorite but all three are a ton of fun. I haven't seen Baby Driver but the trailers didn't make it look like something I'd enjoy much.

Baby Driver is a pretty typical action flick except it had more of a character-driven focus than some do, so it was up my alley more than your average brainless action movie. Funny, snappy writing as usual too.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 am 

Cool I might check it out one of these days then. Our TV broke over a year ago and we still haven't replaced it and with a little one-year-old crawling around now, we don't watch too many movies these days haha.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 am 

Here are some movies I have recently been watching:

The Shallows (2016) - Superficial but entertaining shark thriller - 7/10
47 Meters Down (2017) - At times confusing shark thriller with an interesting ending that is worth the wait - 7/10
Cube (1997) - Independent Canadian horror movie with several great ideas but avoid the unnecessary sequels - 8/10
Racheengel (2010) - Cringe-worthy German televison thriller that turns out being a predictable family drama - 2/10
The Salvation (2014) - The best western of the twenty-first century - 10/10
The River Wild (1994) - Entertaining mixture of action-thriller and survival drama - 10/10
Double Team (1997) - Guilty pleasure in form of an entertaining action film with weak plot and terrible acting - 6/10
Marnie (1964) - Solid acting performances but plodding plot - 6/10
Suspicion (1941) - Excellent acting performances and unusual story line which make for an acquired taste - 7/10
Mr. Long (2017) - Overlong atmospheric drama about a hitman that must go into hiding and change his life - 6/10
Killer Instinct (1992) - Atmospheric science-fiction thriller with Rutger Hauer as grumpy detective who chases a serial killer - 8/10
Flesh + Blood (1985) - Medieval adventure movie with lots of violence and nudity and an amazing Rutger Hauer - 8/10
The Crimson Rivers (2000) - Atmospheric thriller set in an isolated city in Eastern France - 8/10
The Crimson Rivers 2 (2004) - Gripping sequel about a sinister cult that orders ritual murders - 7/10
The Spy Gone North (2018) - Clever South Korean thriller based upon shocking real events - 9/10
The Blood of Wolves (2018) - Gritty action-thriller inspired by brutal Japanese V-cinema of the nineties - 7/10
Second Winter (2016) - South-Korean drama about the struggles of a poor young couple in a big city - 4/10
Compulsive Liar (2019) - Entertaining French-Canadian comedy movie with hilarious plot - 7/10
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019) - Outstanding actors and settings but disaapointing plot and plodding length - 7/10
Ready or Not (2019) - Brainless and silly comedy-horror movie that is neither funny nor terrifying - 4/10
Siberia (2017) - Slow-paced thriller that needs some patience to grow but convinces with great settings and realistic plot - 7/10
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) - Timid horror movie for young teenagers in the key of It - 6/10

''Visitors'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

''Bullet'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/bullet-a-short-story-a173345708

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Kerrick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Baby Driver is a pretty typical action flick except it had more of a character-driven focus than some do, so it was up my alley more than your average brainless action movie. Funny, snappy writing as usual too.

I usually hate action films VERY MUCH, and I was engaged with Baby Driver specifically because of the audio/sound design/mix. After working in that field, boy let me tell you that film is a MARVEL in audio engineering.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:12 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
and by a worse director. XP

Shit, that's too spicy even for me. Edgar Wright has never made a good movie but he's also never made Jupiter Ascending.

Well, Jupiter Ascending is actually good. You could have said "Edgar Wright has never made a good movie and he's also never made Jupiter Ascending" and it'd be more grammatically correct. But even if Jupiter Ascending was as bad as everyone, I still don't think it'd be unfair to say that the Wachowski's are better. Citing one bad film doesn't undo the good ones.

Last edited by KeeperOfTheMissingLink on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm 

Baby Driver is great from a directorial standpoint and in how well Wright matches the scene to the music playing. It falls apart, plot-wise, about halfway in and doesn't really recover. Wright is an amazing filmmaker and, like Empy, somebody whose work I'll check out in a heartbeat.

To say he's never made a good movie is to admit you know shit about filmmaking. He's Kubrick with a sense of humor and without the "let's torture the cast" mentality, a more realized Sam Raimi. Hot Fuzz is on a shortlist of perfect comedies to me, alongside Ghostbusters, Slap Shot, and Caddyshack.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:49 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Another Year. Goddamn I love Mike Leigh. He's the sort of director who can make you optimistic about life and also make you deeply uncomfortable. I don't think I've seen a drama film with such emotional complexity. It is hard to watch, as it has some very bleak, depressing scenes, including a few where characters fail immensely at their sexual advances, but it doesn't go too far so as to make you unnecessarily miserable. Also, this is one of those films where you are encouraged to respond to characters in any way you like, which I think is great as it provokes discussion and makes you think about relationships. No one is immensely likable, but at the very least you can understand and empathise with the characters. An intricate, almost epic drama. It is not as powerful of a study about fucked up people as the masterpiece Naked was, nor is it as emotionally affecting as Secrets and Lies, but it is definitely among his most thought-provoking films.

Have you seen Bleak Moments? It was Leigh's first film, and it's one of the most uncomfortable films I've ever seen that doesn't have a sex scene in it. The performances are very physical (it is a Mike Leigh film), and since none of the characters can really say what they're feeling, it becomes very mimetic to awkward scenarios where people just fill the air just for the sake of avoiding awkward silences. So, I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by KeeperOfTheMissingLink on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:47 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:

Have you seen Bleak Moments? It was Leigh's first film, and it's one of the most uncomfortable films I've ever seen that doesn't have a sex scene in it. The performances are very physical (it is a Mike Leigh film), and since none of the characters can really say what they're feeling, it becomes very mimetic to awkward scenarios where people just fill the air just for the sake of avoiding awkward silences. So, I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

That one's on my wishlist. I've seen clips of it on YouTube, and the situations indeed feel incredibly awkward. But also hilarious. I'll watch it soon.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
To say he's never made a good movie is to admit you know shit about filmmaking.

:rolleyes:
Quote:
He's Kubrick with a sense of humor

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Quote:
Hot Fuzz is on a shortlist of perfect comedies to me, alongside Ghostbusters, Slap Shot, and Caddyshack.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hot Fuzz is one of the few comedies that has gags so undercooked they stick in my mind even a decade since I've seen it:
1) the crossword puzzle being filled out by the check-in attendant
2) "yarp, yarp..... narp?"
3) "we have red wine and we have....... white."
Hot Fuzz is a brilliant, sophisticated, wonderfully witty British comedy for dumbass Americans who've never seen a British comedy in their lives and would hate actual British comedy if they ever tried watching it (but they won't anyway). Any 15 seconds from The Thick of It or Peep Show or Pulling or Garth Marenghi's Darkplace or countless others are 10,000x better than the entirety of Edgar Wright's comedic oeuvre. I can't decide if Wright's movies are so cliche ridden and lowest common denominator pandering because he's a talentless unfunny hack who wouldn't know good comedy if it bit him on the ass, or because he's deeply cynical hack whose figured out how to make "witty British comedies" for people with only a vague conception of what that even is. But I mean, if you've gotta ask...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:13 pm 

Yup, everyone with different taste than you is dumb and only responds to pandering... you figured it out and are the only smart one, congrats.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:15 pm 

Didn't say that and wouldn't ever say that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:23 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Hot Fuzz is a brilliant, sophisticated, wonderfully witty British comedy for dumbass Americans who've never seen a British comedy in their lives and would hate actual British comedy if they ever tried watching it (but they won't anyway).

That's what this came off as. Shit talking fans is such a lazy way to criticize stuff.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:32 pm 

Target audience isn't the fans.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Baby Driver is great from a directorial standpoint (...)

To say he's never made a good movie is to admit you know shit about filmmaking.

Someone could have a lot of directorial panache and not be able to make a good film. That'd be like arguing "Yngwie Malmsteen is a great guitar player and has a lot of technique. To say he can't write a song is to admit you don't know shit about music."

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:

That one's on my wishlist. I've seen clips of it on YouTube, and the situations indeed feel incredibly awkward. But also hilarious. I'll watch it soon.

It's quite good. The sound is a little muddy, so try and watch a version with subtitles if you can.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:12 pm 

Yeah if we're still speaking in absolutes, Mike Leigh has never made a bad film and I'm not even sure he's capable of it. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Life Is Sweet, but Vera Drake, Naked and Happy-Go-Lucky are all masterpieces too. One of the only filmmakers who lets his actors share as much of the credit for making a great film as the people behind the scenes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 739, 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745, 746  Next