Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 1618
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm 
 

Regarding Hot Fuzz... it's his best film by far. But I don't find it that hilarious either. I watch a shit-ton of British comedy and it isn't bad at all for me IMO. Simon Pegg gets on my nerves though.

Anyway, at the risk of getting off-topic, for me peak British comedy will always be Fawlty Towers. I prefer it to even the best of Monty Python, and I love Monty Python.

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah if we're still speaking in absolutes, Mike Leigh has never made a bad film and I'm not even sure he's capable of it. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Life Is Sweet, but Vera Drake, Naked and Happy-Go-Lucky are all masterpieces too. One of the only filmmakers who lets his actors share as much of the credit for making a great film as the people behind the scenes.


Word.
_________________
Ку.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9200
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 pm 
 

I haven't seen a whole lot of Edgar Wright movies and I happen to think Shaun of the Dead is mega overrated.

But Hot Fuzz is a god damned treasure and I nearly cried when I read that DD hated it.

Why must you torment me so?
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Everfrost - Winterider
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 pm 
 

I mean, it's been like a decade so I might be remembering it wrong. It has a fun plot and surprisingly good action but the dialog and sight gags really left me dry. But I should also say film isn't where brit comedy thrives. I think the only really good British comedy film recently was In The Loop, and it was still way worse than the TV show it came from.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1441
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:39 pm 
 

And you're aware of the movies it mocks? Why the choppy Bay-ish editing actually matters?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:16 pm 
 

Mostly Tony Scott's hyper stylized action editing, except here it's used on the utterly mundane day-to-day life of actual cops which primarily is filling out mountains of paperwork (pen clicking instead of a bomb ticking, tee hee) and, if you're very, very lucky, chasing an escaped swan.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 221
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:35 pm 
 

It is currently 3:16 PM here and I will be going to see the premiere of IT: Chapter 2 in the cinema at around 6 PM. I do not go to the cinema as much anymore because of how bad my vision is. I inevitably miss plenty whenever I watch a film because of this but also the brightness of the massive screen against the almost completely dark room has a tendency to give me headaches if I am in that situation for too long.

IT 2 is apparently 149 minutes and that might push my pain tolerance to the max. Hopefully this film will be worth the inevitable headache I am sure to receive because it does look like it will be good.

I AM hoping with the lack of Maturin the Turtle that the writers come up with a worthy final confrontation. As terribad as the ending to the mini series was, it is impossible to make scary - or even intense - a scenario where someone has to lock tongues with another and telepathically tell jokes and avoid laughing.

I would be both afraid to and simultaneously intrigued to take whatever drugs Stephen King was on to write that batshit crazy conclusion. People talk about the childhood orgy from the book, despite the fact it is just 2 pages out of 1138 which are also full of disturbingly sick, twisted and horrific actions but also that utterly ridiculous Ritual of CHUD.

I'll give my thoughts on it afterward...
_________________
My Soundcloud | My Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 1015
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm 
 

Hot Fuzz is a great movie, and I thought the humor worked really well. And I like to think I can appreciate *real* British comedy (whatever that means)... I'm a fan of the Discworld series, at least.

Shaun of the Dead was good too, but it's definitely not on the same level as Fuzz.

Top
 Profile  
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am
Posts: 785
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:23 pm 
 

Bad Moon - There's nothing necessarily wrong with a movie having only a handful of characters. The problem here is that once the opening scenes introduce them and explain their relationship, the story plays out exactly how you'd expect. An 80 minute movie should at least feel fast-paced, but this doesn't because of all the times I was thinking Come on, I know what you're building to, just get there already.

I'm still glad I watched this because the dog Thor was such an awesome character. Great animal acting bumps this to 6 / 10.

Ghoulies - "Olivia from Law & Order SVU made her acting debut in what terrible mid-80s creature feature?" Yeah, this is only of interest as a trivia question. I went in with the low expectations I usually have based on an IMDB rating below 5 and this was even worse than I imagined. I gave it a 3.
_________________
Currently listening to
The Agonist — Orphans
Warrant — Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2493
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
IT 2 is apparently 149 minutes and that might push my pain tolerance to the max. Hopefully this film will be worth the inevitable headache I am sure to receive because it does look like it will be good.

I'll give my thoughts on it afterward...


Christ Jesus! I suppose the writers deserve applause for staying so thoroughly faithful to the book, but 2:49 does hint that there’s some stuff that doesn’t need to be included in the movie.
I wish you well, as I empathize with your visual sensitivity. A movie this long will put my concussion-induced ocular oddities to the test too :(
_________________
rannvroeleirezh ha rakvarn komzont brezhoneg

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26718
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:31 am 
 

It was actually nothing like the book really, like the first one. The characters and overall story were the same but all the events were different.

IT Chapter 2 was fucking solid. Probably too long but whatever. Gloriously polished blockbuster of a horror movie with some great performances, especially from Bill Hader and James McAvoy. Bill Skarsgard as the clown is stupendous and better than Tim Curry was. Overall it was about as big and glossy as a horror movie - usually a very low-budget, intimate sort of thing - can get, but well done despite being a bit much.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 649
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
It was actually nothing like the book really, like the first one. The characters and overall story were the same but all the events were different.

IT Chapter 2 was fucking solid. Probably too long but whatever. Gloriously polished blockbuster of a horror movie with some great performances, especially from Bill Hader and James McAvoy. Bill Skarsgard as the clown is stupendous and better than Tim Curry was. Overall it was about as big and glossy as a horror movie - usually a very low-budget, intimate sort of thing - can get, but well done despite being a bit much.

The movie is, in fact, pretty good, but there's some things that kind of bothered me:
Spoiler: show
(1) The fucking humor. I had this same problem with the last film. There's an extremely serious scene taking place, tension is building, and then a random joke is awkwardly shoved into the scene. An example in this movie was when the bully Bowers attacks Eddie in the bathroom. Again, I would argue that scene was supposed to be really fucking intense and serious; but instead you have Eddie awkwardly hiding behind a shower curtain, stabbing the insane Bowers in the chest, and then the scene closes with Eddie exclaiming, "Jesus, cut that fucking mullet, it's been thirty fucking years!" It was funny, I'll admit I laughed my ass off, but I insist that scene was not supposed to be funny. I remember the book IT being really fucking unsettling, and this movie never reached the same height of horror from the book because of these stupid jokes.

(2) Stanley's suicide being for the "betterment" of the Losers? What in the hell? Why didn't they just keep the more obvious reason which is the fact that he committed suicide because he was too afraid to the face the cosmic horror that is IT, and thus solidifying even further just how terrifying the previous encounter with the creature was?

(3) IT's "final form". I guess...I guess I just wanted a literal giant fucking spider up on the screen, like the way it was in the book. Instead we just had a giant clown with multiple, spider-like legs. I get it, it's spider-like, but I wanted something else I guess. Again, a more literal giant spider on the screen.

Other than that, it was a pretty good movie. And yes, they got rid of the giant Turtle and any mention of The Other. (Couldn't help but think the close-up on the turtle statue in the classroom was a tribute to the Giant Turtle though...)

Top
 Profile  
Runko
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:38 pm
Posts: 297
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 am 
 

dat reference to Carpenter's The Thing tho

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 255
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:53 am 
 

Watched a few Hellraiser movies tonight. I'm completely shocked to report this but Hellraiser: Inferno is one of my favorite films of all time. It just fucking rules.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26718
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 am 
 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
It was actually nothing like the book really, like the first one. The characters and overall story were the same but all the events were different.

IT Chapter 2 was fucking solid. Probably too long but whatever. Gloriously polished blockbuster of a horror movie with some great performances, especially from Bill Hader and James McAvoy. Bill Skarsgard as the clown is stupendous and better than Tim Curry was. Overall it was about as big and glossy as a horror movie - usually a very low-budget, intimate sort of thing - can get, but well done despite being a bit much.

The movie is, in fact, pretty good, but there's some things that kind of bothered me:
Spoiler: show
(1) The fucking humor. I had this same problem with the last film. There's an extremely serious scene taking place, tension is building, and then a random joke is awkwardly shoved into the scene. An example in this movie was when the bully Bowers attacks Eddie in the bathroom. Again, I would argue that scene was supposed to be really fucking intense and serious; but instead you have Eddie awkwardly hiding behind a shower curtain, stabbing the insane Bowers in the chest, and then the scene closes with Eddie exclaiming, "Jesus, cut that fucking mullet, it's been thirty fucking years!" It was funny, I'll admit I laughed my ass off, but I insist that scene was not supposed to be funny. I remember the book IT being really fucking unsettling, and this movie never reached the same height of horror from the book because of these stupid jokes.

(2) Stanley's suicide being for the "betterment" of the Losers? What in the hell? Why didn't they just keep the more obvious reason which is the fact that he committed suicide because he was too afraid to the face the cosmic horror that is IT, and thus solidifying even further just how terrifying the previous encounter with the creature was?

(3) IT's "final form". I guess...I guess I just wanted a literal giant fucking spider up on the screen, like the way it was in the book. Instead we just had a giant clown with multiple, spider-like legs. I get it, it's spider-like, but I wanted something else I guess. Again, a more literal giant spider on the screen.

Other than that, it was a pretty good movie. And yes, they got rid of the giant Turtle and any mention of The Other. (Couldn't help but think the close-up on the turtle statue in the classroom was a tribute to the Giant Turtle though...)


Yeah I can't really argue too much against any of those really.

Spoiler: show
The humor was fun and didn't detract from anything for me, but sure, maybe being more serious might've been better.

And yeah the entire ending was kinda schmaltzy and Stanley's weird letter came off as something from a much lesser story. I guess it kind of made sense because otherwise Stanley was just an ass - but I think that was the point in the book, that he was weak.

I did enjoy the final form. As in the book it wasn't really either a clown or a spider but some kind of entity, it made sense they did it that way for me. Still so much better than what the 90s movie did where it was straight-up just a big ass spider. So silly.

The ending of the book was just so coked out and unfilmable that I am not surprised they changed up the events quite a lot.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5607
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:00 pm 
 

Honestly IT the book was filled to the brim with terribly out-of-place humor as well, which is something that really bothered me about it and made me constantly roll my eyes. In general Stephen King doesn't seem to be able to resist inserting humor into even his more dark, otherwise serious books.

That sounds like pretty harsh criticism so I should add that I'm definitely not a Stephen King hater and still managed to enjoy IT quite a bit as well as most of the other books I've read from him (the short story collections are really mixed bags though). But yeah, his overuse of humor does kinda irk me and it doesn't help that I just don't find him particularly funny. Haven't seen IT: Chapter 2 yet but I'd like to and hopefully will soon.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 221
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:47 pm 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:
IT 2 is apparently 149 minutes and that might push my pain tolerance to the max. Hopefully this film will be worth the inevitable headache I am sure to receive because it does look like it will be good.

I'll give my thoughts on it afterward...
Christ Jesus! I suppose the writers deserve applause for staying so thoroughly faithful to the book, but 2:49 does hint that there’s some stuff that doesn’t need to be included in the movie.
I wish you well, as I empathize with your visual sensitivity. A movie this long will put my concussion-induced ocular oddities to the test too :(
And of course the climax had to have a seizure inducing array of lights. This is a complaint more personal so others won't get it, however I also do not get it from a stylistic choice. I do not feel it enhances much of anything...
Luvers666 wrote:
I'll give my thoughts on it afterward...
I need more time to assess the film but I do believe it had a few flaws that I'll expand on later.
Runko wrote:
dat reference to Carpenter's The Thing tho
It could be seen as a cheap homage but what I love is the fact that it ties into the miniseries in an odd way. Adult Stan of the miniseries Richard Masur only had one cameo in part 2, which was of the same one scene this film retold. Masur of course played in the Thing and was the adult Stan. It made the reference quite good.
SuperVeji4 wrote:
The movie is, in fact, pretty good, but there's some things that kind of bothered me:
Spoiler: show
(1) The fucking humor. I had this same problem with the last film. There's an extremely serious scene taking place, tension is building, and then a random joke is awkwardly shoved into the scene. An example in this movie was when the bully Bowers attacks Eddie in the bathroom. Again, I would argue that scene was supposed to be really fucking intense and serious; but instead you have Eddie awkwardly hiding behind a shower curtain, stabbing the insane Bowers in the chest, and then the scene closes with Eddie exclaiming, "Jesus, cut that fucking mullet, it's been thirty fucking years!" It was funny, I'll admit I laughed my ass off, but I insist that scene was not supposed to be funny. I remember the book IT being really fucking unsettling, and this movie never reached the same height of horror from the book because of these stupid jokes.

(2) Stanley's suicide being for the "betterment" of the Losers? What in the hell? Why didn't they just keep the more obvious reason which is the fact that he committed suicide because he was too afraid to the face the cosmic horror that is IT, and thus solidifying even further just how terrifying the previous encounter with the creature was?

(3) IT's "final form". I guess...I guess I just wanted a literal giant fucking spider up on the screen, like the way it was in the book. Instead we just had a giant clown with multiple, spider-like legs. I get it, it's spider-like, but I wanted something else I guess. Again, a more literal giant spider on the screen.

Other than that, it was a pretty good movie. And yes, they got rid of the giant Turtle and any mention of The Other. (Couldn't help but think the close-up on the turtle statue in the classroom was a tribute to the Giant Turtle though...)
I agree mostly with your points 2 and 3 but the first I do not, at all. I have read the book and even listened to most of an audiobook version. The book is loaded with humor throughout. It was King's magnum opus. The horror is to the story like time travel is to Terminator, it is just the canvas to paint the real story into. The joke you made and hid made me and the entire audience laugh hysterically, it was absolutely fitting.

However, not only did Bill Hader steal the film with the humor but his callback to the rock war from the first film was so masterfully done. It was hilarious when Ritchie goes from blissfully cocky to bitchslapped by IT in seconds. Something I noticed about that scene is that it makes sense from a character perspective, Richie is a jokester, so even in his big bad ass moment of the climax, he would crack a joke first. Just like any other time of his life, this character trait is ultimately what fails his bad ass moment. :haha: The other fabulous thing about this one scene was when it showed Pennywise looking at Ritchie as he attempted his badassery, because of the angle that view was to the abrupt bitchslap, it looked very much like Pennywise was thinking, "Is this Loser really going to trash talk me here?" - That one moment is the single best thing about the movie.

Yippie Ki Ay Mother F---- :haha:
Empyreal wrote:
It was actually nothing like the book really, like the first one. The characters and overall story were the same but all the events were different.
I disagree, it very much was like the book. Only the drug use as kids, Maturin and chapters from Pennywise's perspective were absent really.
Empyreal wrote:
IT Chapter 2 was fucking solid. Probably too long but whatever. Gloriously polished blockbuster of a horror movie with some great performances, especially from Bill Hader and James McAvoy. Bill Skarsgard as the clown is stupendous and better than Tim Curry was. Overall it was about as big and glossy as a horror movie - usually a very low-budget, intimate sort of thing - can get, but well done despite being a bit much.
Glad someone else said it too. Tim Curry was good but it is sort of like when people claim Nicholson's joker was better than Ledger's. Quite simply, the recent films and their scripts were far superior. I do not believe Curry could have pulled off most of what Skarsgard did.
_________________
My Soundcloud | My Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26718
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 pm 
 

^ It's obviously the same story but it was changed as an adaptation should be - a lot of the details were quite different including the entire ending.

Well I can finally weigh in on Funny Games - saw the original movie from '97 and I'm sure this was very groundbreaking back then, but it really didn't do anything for me beyond the fact that I appreciated the way it was made and all. It was an empty story for me. I got the implications and the heavy messaging going on and was like "well, so what?" I'm sure there are good arguments for why people liked it. Personally it left me cold with no real hook beyond the "intellectual" messaging that comes off as super dated all these years later. It's one of those movies where everything rides solely on the smartness of its subversion, without anything else - like Natural Born Killers, except I liked that one the first time I saw it anyway.

Spoiler: show
Maybe a somewhat revisionary take, but the ending sucked because, after all the "subversion" of winking at the audience, the film ends in a quite cliche "killer gets to continue killing again" way you'd see in a lot of horror/thriller types of films. Maybe it caught on more since then, haven't kept track of all the years. And in general the whole "look at how complicit we are to violence" thing is dated by now. Yeah it's called escapism. It's how we have fun in this fucking horror show of a reality these days.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
AndromedaVessel
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am
Posts: 26
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:27 pm 
 

This week I've seen...

Dirty Dancing - I've always felt this was kind of a companion piece to Footloose, which I still haven't watched. It was an enjoyable movie, Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze were good, a little cheesy sometimes, but overall a solid drama, doesn't really feel like a chick flick. The mix of 60's and 80's songs in the soundtrack felt a little odd, though.

Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones - I thought I might as well post about this one here even thought it isn't a movie. I'm not very much into stand-up shows, but clips from it were showing up in my Recommended videos on Youtube, so I thought I might as well watch the whole thing in order instead of just getting the random clips. I guess you could say it's edgy? I'm not familiar with Dave Chappelle's routines, so I don't know if that's his thing, but yeah, it got some laughs from me.

Cat People - 1982 Erotic "horror" from Paul Schrader. Eh, not really much to say about this one, other than it didn't impress me. I put "horror" in quotes because I never actually felt like anything on screen was creepy. Sure, people get killed, arms get ripped, feet get gashed, but nothing really remotely horrifying. Some of it reminded me of Ken Russell's Altered States, which was probably what gave me hope that something interesting would happen eventually. Good thing I've seen First Reformed, because if it were for this I would probably not be interested in watching anything else Paul Schrader directed.

Cat People - Jacques Tourneau original film from 1942, I liked it way more than Paul Schrader's remake. Instead of making everything on the nose and quite obvious, this one keeps everything ambiguous, making you actually eager to see if your suspicions about the main character are right or if she's just paranoid and/or delusional about her ancestry.

Detective Story - Oh man, I really like Takashi Miike. Sometimes he really misses with his films, but when he hits it, he hits it hard. Harder than this, but this isn't far off. It's your usual crime/detective film, but a little bit quirkier, which you can expect from a Miike film.

Wheels on Meals - Jackie Chan in Spain. Good movie, but I got a bit distracted trying to see if I could identify what language the non-Chinese characters were speaking under the dub. The action scenes are really well done, but unfortunately I had already seen the final fight between Jackie and Benny Urquidez. In that regard, it reminded me a lot of Dragons Forever, which has the same main cast and which I enjoyed more.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 5285
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 am 
 

It Chapter Two was actually garbage and the positive reactions are confusing me. Did we see a different movie?

Honestly, that scene where the leper vomits in Eddie's mouth and the song "Angel of the Morning" BLARES in out of nowhere for like 5 seconds and then cuts out just as suddenly as it came in is a microcosm of how that movie was put together.
_________________
theposaga about a Moonblood rehearsal wrote:
So good. Makes me want to break up with my girlfriend, quit my job and never move out of my parents house. Just totally destroy my life for Satan.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1441
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:30 pm 
 

On a little slasher kick before Halloween season kicks off in full.

Prom Night, the original, deserves a little more love than it gets. It isn't as well crafted as Halloween or NOES, it doesn't have the same fun with the kills as Friday the 13th nor the outright grime of Black Christmas, but it has a pretty decent whodunit feel until the end...when the credits just kinda roll. Worth noting for Jamie Lee Curtis and the amount of time/effort into building up the finale. 6/10

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II has an inkling of an idea as to what it wants to be, but it's a case of a somewhat kinda sorta different idea that was mashed and rushed to be part of a dying/dead franchise. Instead of a masked killer wanting revenge we get the soul of a bitchy prom queen who died in a prank gone wrong 30 years ago. The closest thing I can compare this to would be 976-EVIL 2, but at least that brought back a survivor from the first flick and had one downright incredible scene. This has Michael Ironside sleepwalking and the wasted potential of showing the straight-laced lead succumb to the temptations after being possessed. 5/10

Sleepaway Camp is a classic cheesefest slasher with a WTF ending, but daaaaaaamn those gore and makeup effects are something to behold for such an obviously low budget. 6/10

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers doesn't believe in making you wait to find out who the killer is, and then straddles the line of being a self-aware satire of slasher tropes and horribly unfunny comedy. Bless the hearts of those involved, though, because at least they tried. 5/10

Unlike Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland, which feels so lifeless and joyless that even the kills are comically undercooked. A tree limb is used for three separate victims and, each time, the killer is clearly missing the target. The only value comes from how the ending subverts its predecessor and a few of the women on the cast are quite easy to look at. This is so lazy that even Andy Sidaris was probably rolling his eyes. 3.5/10
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8196
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm 
 

Now try and sit through the crappiness that is Return to Sleepaway Camp.

Also, the unfinished clip show movie of Sleepaway Camp 4, and even the 1989 slasher Memorial Valley Massacre, which was retitled as “Son of Sleepaway Camp” in Europe for some reason, despite having literally nothing to do with Sleepaway Camp.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm 
 

...or the Prom Night remake.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
at the gaytes
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Bangladesh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:24 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
On a little slasher kick before Halloween season kicks off in full.

Prom Night, the original, deserves a little more love than it gets. It isn't as well crafted as Halloween or NOES, it doesn't have the same fun with the kills as Friday the 13th nor the outright grime of Black Christmas, but it has a pretty decent whodunit feel until the end...when the credits just kinda roll. Worth noting for Jamie Lee Curtis and the amount of time/effort into building up the finale. 6/10


And that extended Saturday Night Fever scene

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1441
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:08 pm 
 

Here I was, hoping to keep that part a secret for anybody who hasn't seen it.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2764
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am 
 

Subrick wrote:
Now try and sit through the crappiness that is Return to Sleepaway Camp.



This is all anyone needs from Return to Sleepaway Camp:

Youtube: show
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 255
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 am 
 

I got to see the original Night of the Living Dead at my town's drive-in tonight! It was fucking surreal and awesome, truly an unforgettable night.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:06 pm 
 

That's one of the greats, and still holds up. Most zombie fiction is horrible retreaded crap that can only hope to live (unlive?) up to the original.
_________________
Metalheads never get old. We just become legendary.

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 255
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:58 am 
 

Yeah I'd already seen it before, but there's NO WAY I could pass up seeing it in that environment, arguably the way it was meant to be seen. At my local drive-in's first screening since 2004 no less! Not to mention on a Friday the 13th under a full moon, only a few hundred feet away from a cemetery. The atmosphere alone was an unreal experience.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 221
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:33 am 
 

GTog wrote:
That's one of the greats, and still holds up. Most zombie fiction is horrible retreaded crap that can only hope to live (unlive?) up to the original.
The original NotLD was great and still holds up? :wut:

The original NotLD has a few great ideas, especially the ending, but it is a laughably bad film, horribly dated and its popularity comes from people thinking they can read more into the film than every single person who worked on the film did.

Both Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead are filled to the brim with subtext but none of the supposed subtexts in the original is really there. The filmmakers themselves are on record stating nothing about the film has deeper meaning then what one sees on the screen. One of the most overrated films in history.
_________________
My Soundcloud | My Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 255
Location: Shadow Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 am 
 

Nah the film's great regardless of how simple it is. People going into something like that expecting it to be deep or have subtext are the real problem. A film needs neither to be good. It's a classic that inspired numerous copycats for a reason and 2019 revisionism from people who went into it expecting it to be something it isn't won't change that.
_________________
nonagon infinity opens the door

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7362
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 am 
 

Watched The Blackcoat's Daughter last night. Remember reading some negative stuff here but I dug it. Another A24 jam. Slow building, worrying atmosphere that climaxes with some satanic panic. I'm a sucker for it.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 5131
Location: Neo-Allegheny City
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:52 am 
 

The Blackcoat's Daughter is really, really good yeah. Haunting imagery and an atmosphere for days. Also really, really appreciate its length.


NOTLD is great and a classic and anyone saying otherwise should be shunned from society as a whole.
_________________
“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Neil Breen

Top
 Profile  
andersbang
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 1010
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am 
 

It Chapter 2 was a letdown after the passable Chapter 1.

Way too long, way too little Pennywise (easily the best part of the series), way too much misplaced humor, way too many jump scares, way too many random CGI monsters that didn't have any connection to the characters they were supposed to be 'personalized' nightmares of.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 5285
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:48 am 
 

Night of the Living Dead is overrated? Wow, what a hot take!

This guy is actually a dumbass.

I had the pleasure of seeing NotLD at a cinema last year and it was somehow even better than I remembered.

It's like a classic Twilight Zone episode with just as much subtext and brilliant writing!
_________________
theposaga about a Moonblood rehearsal wrote:
So good. Makes me want to break up with my girlfriend, quit my job and never move out of my parents house. Just totally destroy my life for Satan.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
at the gaytes
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Bangladesh
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
 

Night of the Living Dead doesn't need any subtext to be great, 50 years later and people are still making copycats, there's no way a "bad" movie would have this influence.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 am 
 

So I thought Captain Marvel was... fine? Quality sci-fi action and an adorable cat alone made it better than either of the two Ant-mans (the second of which sits next to Batman & Robin and The Amazing Spider-man 2 as some of the worst major superhero movies in history), and the simple and unpretentious plot put it above the first Thor and first Captain America films as well. It was still in the lower half of Marvel movies for me which is faint praise indeed because only Captain America 2, Thor 3, Infinity War and Spider-man: Homecoming were genuinely great comic book movies, but it was a more than acceptable way to kill 2 hours.

Also, I can't fathom how anyone could extract any kind of "gender commentary" out of it, I think about the deepest thing going on was a scattershot critique of the pre-9/11 US intelligence community. Like with Alien, replacing the female lead with a dude would've given the exact same movie, so saying it's commenting on anything at all is pushing it. Although that might just be because of how utterly boring and devoid of personality the character of Marvel is, certainly not helped by Larson's utter blahtastrophy of a performance. But TBH I'm just not sure a character like Captain Marvel could ever be interesting.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 8785
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am 
 

Nah it's not better than Thor and Captain America, it's really the same level of slow paced Phase I origin story where they basically just spend two hours saying "we cast this guy/girl to be in the next Avengers film, watch him/her walk around for two hours so you know who it is in the movie you'll care about."

And the "gender commentary" is exclusively in the casting because for the most part that's all Hollywood does anymore. Like you think back of a show called MASH which was mostly white guys I guess but delivered scathing political commentary week by week and nowadays everything has less to say than a Seinfeld episode but because they cast a disabled person and a transgender person it's so deep and revolutionary. Would be cool if they could include their commentary in the writing again, doesn't matter if it's on a popcorn cinema level like V for Vendetta and Matrix and such, just literally say what you want to say instead of leaving it entirely to the casting.
_________________
Badass overload!! The Conan soundtracks were composed by a Klingon!! - Pop culture review channel

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4786
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:28 am 
 

Race and gender is of no more importance now in casting for film and television than it ever was before, which is to say it's of huge importance now just as it was of huge importance in any other era. This idea Hollywood is or ever was some sort of meritocracy for casting is absurd. The five MASH guys weren't hired because they were the most qualified for the job and just happened to be all straight and white, they were hired because they were straight and white AND ALSO were very funny and talented.

But sure, it's annoying when producers lazily throw in Making a Big Statement in place of literally anything else. But it's also unambiguously good.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9049
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am 
 

Absolutely loved IT Chapter 2, just finished seeing is yesterday. Probably liked it more than the first one to be honest! I'm glad they kept Pennywise to a minimum and focused more on the individual characters, some more development on those lines was great. I'll be seeing it again and again for sure.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 8785
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:17 pm 
 

Last night I finally watched the two new-ish Turtles live action movies. They were both confused messes but at least the first one was entertaining in a Transformers kind of way, the second one was such a complete clusterfuck it was nearly impossible to follow, felt like it was originally a four hour movie and then edited down way beyond the point where it'd still make sense.
_________________
Badass overload!! The Conan soundtracks were composed by a Klingon!! - Pop culture review channel

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 740, 741, 742, 743, 744, 745  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkeningday, henkkjelle and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group