Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:22 pm 
 

Can anyone explain why Kanto Bight happened? Evil weapons manufacturers need to be taught a lesson? Why would they need slave children?; they're rich; they would have droids. This isn't Tattooine. Rose wants to free animals more than the children. The city is insured. Freeing the animals will kill people. The slaves will have to clean up the mess. SJW crap, getting in the way and making Disney's trilogy insipid. 'Save what you love'.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 pm 
 

Yeah The Last Jedi sucks. But you try so hard to make a point how that's caused by politics, and it simply isn't. Rian Johnson went into filming with three half-sentences on a handkerchief as the script and winged it, that's why it sucked. It's basically like Fantastic Four '15 where the story just randomly skips past a ton of vital information leaving out anything that would explain what just happened.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6723
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:29 pm 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
Can anyone explain why Kanto Bight happened?

That's where the code-breaker they were looking for was. The intel they had said he was a compulsive high-roller.
Quote:
Evil weapons manufacturers need to be taught a lesson?

Incidental world-building.
Quote:
Why would they need slave children?; they're rich; they would have droids.

Hah, you're cute, thinking rich people would spend money on slaves they don't get to exert power over. There's also something else rich people do with children that you can't do with Star Wars hyper-mechanical droids...
Quote:
Rose wants to free animals more than the children.

Maybe Rose realizes that there's really nothing she can do to save the children, but the animals at least can survive in the woods? It's not like their tiny ship has room for 50 slave children.
Quote:
Freeing the animals will kill people.

As evidenced by the mountain of dead bodies Finn, Poe, and Rose climb over on their way out--OH WAIT
Quote:
SJW crap, getting in the way and making Disney's trilogy insipid. 'Save what you love'.

You still never defined what any of this means. Do you have any original thoughts in your head?
_________________
The anime reviews are comin' back, baby! Keep your eyes peeled! Or not! I'm not your mom!
The latest review is for: Mob Psycho 100 II!
Coming Up Next:
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:37 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
On the other hand the Watchmen series that the likes of you dub "Wokemen" was a huge success.


Obviously, there's a lot of American metal fans on this site, and my WOKE issue keeps cropping up, just because I mentioned it. That was a minor point. Most of my points were about bad writing in the disgraceful sequel trilogy.

And, just stating that major movies which bombed, were WOKE driven. If the American users on the thread are funny about this WOKE issue, I'll just go and do my incel thing, instead.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:41 pm 
 

Weren't you just throwing a fit about being insulted? Don't call me American again.

Metal_Warspite wrote:
And, just stating that major movies which bombed, were WOKE driven.

Just stating that major movies which bombed were old franchises that nobody asked anything more of and that were given a half-arsed attempt at revival. They wouldn't have been any more successful if the cast shouted "TRUMP PENCE TWENTY TWENTY" every three minutes.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/


Last edited by droneriot on Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 pm 
 

Yes. Please go and do your incel thing elsewhere, which includes ranting about WOKE things and SJWs without defining either nor citing actual numbers.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 309
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Once again, what is your idea of woke SJW politics? Does the idea of a strong female lead really make you so insecure that you root for the failure of projects that have one?
Yeah, bad writing, bad writing and more bad writing! What are you talking about, buddy?
Terminator just bombed! Charlie's Angels and Ghostbusters, bombed! Batwoman is bombing! Joker didn't!

Bad writing, buddy. You're comments are weird.
Personally I think this post proves you are just trolling. If not then I would like to point out one glaring problem with your statements.

Not only does it reveal a blatant lack of intelligence and originality to trivialize something by calling it "Woke" but you keep returning to the simple criticism of bad writing. I hate to burst your bubble here but that is a completely subjective - and time wasting - critique that proves you do not know how to assess storytelling. Just because the story is something you dislike does NOT mean it is objectively bad and, likewise, just because the story is something you like does NOT mean it is objectively good. Massive avoidable plot holes, failing to give motivation for actions and decisions with grave implications, introducing a romance between characters without a proper explanation and buildup, placing too much exposition in scenes that bog down the flow of the narrative, creating a deus ex machina simply because you wrote yourself into a corner, etc... are ALL indications of bad storytelling.

If you are legit and wish to prove me wrong then the answer to that is simple; do not tell me how I am wrong, just reveal your own story that completely avoids the above issues and I will rescind my criticisms of your posting.

~ ~ ~

Also the real reason those movies bombed is that they are existing properties where the full story was already told. After Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2 and Charlie's Angels 2, there was NOTHING left in those storylines to say, so everything after is going to be subpar and people are just sick of it. It should also be said that Ghostbusters and Terminator both came out at a time when those stories were both in vogue and are now just admittedly passe. No one wants to see a film that is guaranteed to be a rehash of better outings when there are an endless supply of quality scripts being passed over because executives do not know how to create and then market virgin properties. Furthermore there are always outside factors beyond the control of anyone that can lead to a films failure.
_________________
My Soundcloud | My Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:49 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
Also the real reason those movies bombed is that they are existing properties where the full story was already told. After Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2 and Charlie's Angels 2, there was NOTHING left in those storylines to say, so everything after is going to be subpar and people are just sick of it. It should also be said that Ghostbusters and Terminator both came out at a time when those stories were both in vogue and are now just admittedly passe. No one wants to see a film that is guaranteed to be a rehash of better outings when there are an endless supply of quality scripts being passed over because executives do not know how to create and then market virgin properties. Furthermore there are always outside factors beyond the control of anyone that can lead to a films failure.

You posted this one minute after I made my edit and offer a virtual clanking of the beer mugs on that.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Yes. Please go and do your incel thing elsewhere, which includes ranting about WOKE things and SJWs without defining either nor citing actual numbers.


Just saying, Hollywood and Disney have this agenda which is ruining a lot of movies i.e. Star Wars. I didn't know it could get folks tails up. It's just WOKE.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:57 pm 
 

You mean the agenda of desperately trying to appeal to younger demographics by targeting their media output toward them on a surface level while still holding onto deeply embedded and outdated ideas? Is that what you mean by "WOKE," or are you just trying to dance around "I can't masturbate to this so it's bad"?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 pm 
 

Yes, and as has been sufficiently explained, what you are just saying is wrong. The examples you named failed for very obvious real world reasons.

For political stuff, it's true that Hollywood since 2016 has been trying to capitalise on the success of anti-Bush stuff from the Bush era by making lazy anti-Trump versions of it, but the very fact that the very passionate anti-Bush stuff was successful and the very lazy anti-Trump stuff was not should tell you it's not the politics that are the reason that it failed, it's the lazy cash in attempts. Ministry tried the same and made a rehash of Houses of the Molé with weaker songwriting, lazy as fuck and nobody liked it. However the stuff that puts effort into what it's doing (like Watchmen) was very successful. The stuff that failed that you see "woke" politics in however failed for the obvious reasons that they were weak attempts at cash ins of old franchises that nobody asked for a continuation of.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Once again, what is your idea of woke SJW politics? Does the idea of a strong female lead really make you so insecure that you root for the failure of projects that have one?
Yeah, bad writing, bad writing and more bad writing! What are you talking about, buddy?
Terminator just bombed! Charlie's Angels and Ghostbusters, bombed! Batwoman is bombing! Joker didn't!

Bad writing, buddy. You're comments are weird.
Personally I think this post proves you are just trolling. If not then I would like to point out one glaring problem with your statements.

Not only does it reveal a blatant lack of intelligence and originality to trivialize something by calling it "Woke" but you keep returning to the simple criticism of bad writing. I hate to burst your bubble here but that is a completely subjective - and time wasting - critique that proves you do not know how to assess storytelling. Just because the story is something you dislike does NOT mean it is objectively bad and, likewise, just because the story is something you like does NOT mean it is objectively good. Massive avoidable plot holes, failing to give motivation for actions and decisions with grave implications, introducing a romance between characters without a proper explanation and buildup, placing too much exposition in scenes that bog down the flow of the narrative, creating a deus ex machina simply because you wrote yourself into a corner, etc... are ALL indications of bad storytelling.

If you are legit and wish to prove me wrong then the answer to that is simple; do not tell me how I am wrong, just reveal your own story that completely avoids the above issues and I will rescind my criticisms of your posting.

~ ~ ~

Also the real reason those movies bombed is that they are existing properties where the full story was already told. After Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2 and Charlie's Angels 2, there was NOTHING left in those storylines to say, so everything after is going to be subpar and people are just sick of it. It should also be said that Ghostbusters and Terminator both came out at a time when those stories were both in vogue and are now just admittedly passe. No one wants to see a film that is guaranteed to be a rehash of better outings when there are an endless supply of quality scripts being passed over because executives do not know how to create and then market virgin properties. Furthermore there are always outside factors beyond the control of anyone that can lead to a films failure.


Simply pointed out that the sequels were objectively worse than the sequel trilogy. If I hadn't mentioned the WOKE agenda in Hollywood, I probably wouldn't get the pissy moaning. As for the 'trolling,' buddy, I ain't got time to write and write on these threads. You've gone off on an intentional tangent, which has nothing directly related to how Disney handled the seque trilogy. Maybe, WOKE is a touchy subject.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:12 pm 
 

Maybe you're just mentally deficient.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:14 pm 
 

As for the "trolling", you are being proven wrong over and over again, ignore it, and keep going. Definition of trolling. Good thing you ain't got the time.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:17 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Maybe you're just mentally deficient.


You'll still be posting irrelevant topics on here tomorrow, then the day after; then next week.

Just pointed out that Disney's trilogy was ruined by Kathleen Kennedy's identity politics. For that, I got called an 'incel'. LoL

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Of the new trilogy, VII is still the best, IMO. It captured the magic and feel of the originals, and that was more necessary than paying off anything set up previously after the shyte prequel trilogy and so many mediocre TV properties.


No wonder you got funny about my comments.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 309
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
You posted this one minute after I made my edit and offer a virtual clanking of the beer mugs on that.
I swear I did not see your post while I was writing mine.
Metal_Warspite wrote:
Simply pointed out that the sequels were objectively worse than the sequel trilogy. If I hadn't mentioned the WOKE agenda in Hollywood, I probably wouldn't get the pissy moaning. As for the 'trolling,' buddy, I ain't got time to write and write on these threads. You've gone off on an intentional tangent, which has nothing directly related to how Disney handled the seque trilogy. Maybe, WOKE is a touchy subject.
1. As expected you lost all backbone once the idiocy of your statements were pointed out. Worse though is that you double down on your inanity by once again trying to claim that you have demonstrated any film is 'objectively' worse than others. I am not sure you understand what the word objective means.
2. I am not your buddy. You claim to have limited time to write but have managed to post several times in the last 90 minutes. It is predictable and boring how you then project your own faults with that ridiculous statement about the .... seque. What is the seque trilogy?
3. Woke is not a touchy subject it is just STUPID. Stop using or regarding that stupid freaking word/argument. Using that phrase could make Einstein look like ........ well, you.
_________________
My Soundcloud | My Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
Simply pointed out that the sequels were objectively worse than the sequel trilogy. If I hadn't mentioned the WOKE agenda in Hollywood, I probably wouldn't get the pissy moaning. As for the 'trolling,' buddy, I ain't got time to write and write on these threads. You've gone off on an intentional tangent, which has nothing directly related to how Disney handled the seque trilogy. Maybe, WOKE is a touchy subject.
1. As expected you lost all backbone once the idiocy of your statements were pointed out. Worse though is that you double down on your inanity by once again trying to claim that you have demonstrated any film is 'objectively' worse than others. I am not sure you understand what the word objective means.
2. I am not your buddy. You claim to have limited time to write but have managed to post several times in the last 90 minutes. It is predictable and boring how you then project your own faults with that ridiculous statement about the .... seque. What is the seque trilogy?
3. Woke is not a touchy subject it is just STUPID. Stop using or regarding that stupid freaking word/argument. Using that phrase could make Einstein look like ........ well, you.


Buddy, Just pointed out that the sequel trilogy was a disgrace. Don't see you complaining about other's praising the movies, especially the one who likes TFA.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
 

Last note: Disney doesn't know how light sabers work. Ray and Finn didn't hit the right button to activate the blade. That's objectively bad.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10316
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
I swear I did not see your post while I was writing mine.

Because you were still writing your post while I edited, that's why I said what I said, we were having the same thought at the same time.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 pm 
 

I'm done engaging with trolls today, especially ones who don't know what the term "objective" means. Go shave your neck, boy.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6723
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:49 pm 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
Last note: Disney doesn't know how light sabers work. Ray and Finn didn't hit the right button to activate the blade. That's objectively bad.

And in the first Harry Potter movie, Oliver Wood didn't know where the Snitch was when he released it because he's looking the wrong way. And in Alien, the facehugger also mysteriously removes the guy's hood when they put him on the table. And in Die Hard, the rocket launcher firing breaks the same window twice. And in The Terminator, the phrase on the stolen police car changes entirely. And to bring it back to Star Wars, in The Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo's jacket magically manifests itself onto his body just before being lowered into the carbonite.

It's almost like mistakes happen all the time in movies! Nitpicking like a whiny little bitch doesn't make a thing "objectively bad."
_________________
The anime reviews are comin' back, baby! Keep your eyes peeled! Or not! I'm not your mom!
The latest review is for: Mob Psycho 100 II!
Coming Up Next:
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3


Last edited by Ilwhyan on Sat May 23, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch your tone.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm done engaging with trolls today, especially ones who don't know what the term "objective" means. Go shave your neck, boy.


Yeah, I'm not familiar with that silly insult, either. Look back at the thread. You called the prequels 'Shyte,' while praising TFA for ripping off ANH, because they couldn't be bothered to write a continuation, where the Republic was in charge, and they were now chasing the remnant of the Empire's fleet, who refused to stand down. It was hack writing with Kennedy's agenda.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8252
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
I ain't got time to write and write on these threads.

Do you need help with that?

Drop the insane nonsense about SJW agenda, and start treating other posters with more respect.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
Last note: Disney doesn't know how light sabers work. Ray and Finn didn't hit the right button to activate the blade. That's objectively bad.

And in the first Harry Potter movie, Oliver Wood didn't know where the Snitch was when he released it because he's looking the wrong way. And in Alien, the facehugger also mysteriously removes the guy's hood when they put him on the table. And in Die Hard, the rocket launcher firing breaks the same window twice. And in The Terminator, the phrase on the stolen police car changes entirely. And to bring it back to Star Wars, in The Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo's jacket magically manifests itself onto his body just before being lowered into the carbonite.

It's almost like mistakes happen all the time in movies! Nitpicking like a whiny little bitch doesn't make a thing "objectively bad."


You're talking continuity errors and most are minor. This is a 'light saber' and they're continuously pressing the wrong part. It's probably because those involved in the sequels, really don't get it, nor could they care less. Regardless, it's not as bad as the throne room scene from TLJ; that's unbelievably bad. Whiny little bitches tend to be reactive when they feel a slight touch.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm 
 

There's a lot you don't understand, clearly, which points to you either being a literal child or, as I've claimed earlier, of lower mental capacity than those you're attempting to interact with. Regardless, I don't have the proper certifications to properly instruct you, so it's best to bow out before I introduce more phrases and allusions you shan't be familiar with.

re: lightsabers and buttons
Please enter the following into Google, or your preferred search engine of choice: "Simpsons, magical xylophone"
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.


Last edited by acid_bukkake on Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:13 pm 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
I ain't got time to write and write on these threads.

Do you need help with that?

Drop the insane nonsense about SJW agenda, and start treating other posters with more respect.


Sure thing. No more of that and they'll stop the incel and bitch comments, as well. Mutual respect restored.

Top
 Profile  
Lane
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
Posts: 359
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm 
 

I haven't seen a Troma movie since 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead' (I think I watched it around 2009 or 2010). That needed to change! So I went and watched...

'Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.'

Now that was so unbelievably stupid yet so funny a flick. One of Troma greats, for sure. Gore, tits, hair metal.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm 
 

Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD is the start, really, of Troma becoming self-aware and, because of it, churning out the incredible 1-2-3 combo of Tromeo & Juliet, Terror Firmer, and Citizen Toxie. It also gave us THE CAR.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6723
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 pm 
 

I just can't stand schlocky B-movies at all. When I watch a movie, I want it to actually be good, dammit!

The sole exceptions to this rule are The Room, Troll 2, Tammy & the T-Rex, and Suburban Sasquatch. Because they're the absolute pinnacle of what this subgenre offers, and anything lesser isn't worth my time.
_________________
The anime reviews are comin' back, baby! Keep your eyes peeled! Or not! I'm not your mom!
The latest review is for: Mob Psycho 100 II!
Coming Up Next:
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1828
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 pm 
 

I mean, those aren't exactly B movies in my mind. Those are F movies that are entertaining because they're so bad they're good. A B movie to me is like a run of the mill Jackie Chan movie or some stereotypical stoner comedy. They're fun, not too deep, and can be pretty forgetful at times.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 pm 
 

B-movie, as a designation, just means a lower budget feature.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6723
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 pm 
 

In that case, suffice it to say that Troma movies are so far out of my strike zone that it's like trying to tempt a carnivore with a fresh garden salad.
_________________
The anime reviews are comin' back, baby! Keep your eyes peeled! Or not! I'm not your mom!
The latest review is for: Mob Psycho 100 II!
Coming Up Next:
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1828
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 pm 
 

That definition makes sense, however, in that regard I don't think it really indicates anything in terms of the overall quality. Like, there's been a lot of really good movies that were released on incredibly low budgets, and I don't know- calling them "B" movies kind of feels like a slap in their face.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1615
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:43 pm 
 

The conflation between budget and quality comes from the 50s, when budget movies would typically feature lower quality acting and directing and set pieces. The proliferation of horror and sci-fi in this time period is why so many b-movies, even to this day, fall I to those two genres. Over time, it's taken on a meaning more akin to "lower quality," but there's plenty of big budget movies that are bad, too.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm 
 

Many people consider the first Terminator a B-movie but it's still one of the best action movies ever made.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:49 pm 
 

Unorthodox wrote:
That definition makes sense, however, in that regard I don't think it really indicates anything in terms of the overall quality. Like, there's been a lot of really good movies that were released on incredibly low budgets, and I don't know- calling them "B" movies kind of feels like a slap in their face.


Prime example: Terminator

Sarah Connor: Your average woman, working as a waitress, who has to adapt and grow; has to go through adversity to develop as a character. Can she handle a M1911 or an M4 at the beginning of Terminator? No! Can she by T2? Yes!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am 
 

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made - This is a pretty silly movie that nonetheless has an effect. It's a fake documentary setup where they tell you this movie Antrum, supposedly made in the 70s, has killed everyone who watched it. Then they show you the entire thing. This is a very gimmicky type of thing that sets up everything with a very over the top approximation of how 70s films looked, with camera glitches, strange minimalist dialogue and a yellow washed out picture quality, to the point where it almost seems parodic. The whole package is a bit goofy. But strangely I liked this anyway. I mean, I can't deny that I've always enjoyed both the aesthetics of old 70s horror and occult horror, which this is like a Venn diagram of. And the creeping slow burn strangeness and vagueness is effective. By taking its premise and theatrics so seriously, it somehow becomes really cool. Though maybe it would've been better just leaving out the stupid mockumentary thing at the beginning and just doing the movie alone.

Sweet Virginia - A moody, low-key drama/thriller about a guy running a hotel who makes friends with this drifter who's been secretly committing violent acts in town. Jon Bernthal is good in this, and Imogen Poots and Christopher Abbott deliver, too. This is a fairly unpretentious movie and just works through solid character writing and plotting. Just an enjoyably terse, dark piece of cinema. I don't think it really found the depth it was trying to have, but as a Dennis Lehane-style crime thriller, it's fun.

Locke - Tom Hardy is the only character you see in this one-man thriller; everyone else is just voices over a car phone as he drives through the night. This is a concept that could easily be boring and melodramatic - I kept waiting for it to do something too grandiose and lose the plot, but it never does and stays solid all the way through. Really strong writing. It manages to find themes and character development by just showing a bunch of conversations Hardy has with these people in his life. The dialogue being so good really sells it and makes this a hugely compelling viewing.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8803
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:04 am 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I just can't stand schlocky B-movies at all. When I watch a movie, I want it to actually be good, dammit!

The sole exceptions to this rule are The Room, Troll 2, Tammy & the T-Rex, and Suburban Sasquatch. Because they're the absolute pinnacle of what this subgenre offers, and anything lesser isn't worth my time.


There is a startling lack of Birdemic in your post.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 683
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:08 pm 
 

I've read the past few posts on the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy having a feminist SJW agenda, and I'd like to put in my 2 cents:

Though Metal_Warspite may not have been respectful and articulate in his posts, I would have to say I generally agree with him on the idea that there was a sort-of feminist SJW agenda within the Sequel Trilogy, which would've been fine if the writing was actually any good and had substance; and I must confess I'm a bit taken aback when other users deny there was an agenda going on because it's fairly obvious.

Taking away the obvious problem of the writing simply being flat-out bad and unimaginative, there was definitely a pattern in which all the female characters were super competent while all the male character were incompetent, bumbling, emotional retards. Few examples:

(1) The fact that Rey is effectively a Jedi before she even knows what the Jedi are, and is able to wield the Force without actually knowing what the Force even is; and she proceeds on defeating Kylo Ren, a fully-trained Force-using Dark Jedi, in the first fucking movie.
-An untrained but somehow super competent female non-Jedi vs. a fully trained but incompetent male Dark Jedi-

(2) The juxtaposition between Rose (a random character we're supposed to care about for some reason), who is portrayed as naturally brave, and Finn, who is portrayed as a bit of a bumbling coward.
-Competent, brave female vs. bumbling, cowardly male-

(3) The tension between the patient military leader Holdo (again, a random character we're supposed to care about for some reason, and we're told is important and competent), and Poe, a hot-headed space jock who nearly ruins the plans of his superior because she simply refused to tell anyone what her plans even were....for some reason.
-Calculating, competent female superior vs. hot-headed male underling who just wants to "blow shit up"-

(4) Portraying the older Leia as a loving, devoted mother while portraying the older Han as an absentee, neglectful father.
-Female military leader who is loving vs. male smuggler-has-been loser-

(5) (This one is similar to Example 1) Leia besting Luke in a lightsaber sparring match in a flashback.
-An untrained but somehow competent female Jedi Padawan vs. a fully trained but seemingly incompetent male Jedi Knight-

Also, didn't Kathleen Kennedy say something like how the people who hated characters like Rose or Holdo must've been sexist and/or racist? It's as if she expected TLJ to be well received for the simple fact that it had strong female characters. I mean, okay, go ahead and have strong female characters, but make sure they're fucking interesting first, that's what counts!

Again, I would argue there was an obvious feminist SJW agenda going on....


Last edited by SuperVeji4 on Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 761, 762, 763, 764, 765, 766, 767, 768  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group