Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:40 am 

The Lodge - A horror movie mixed with family drama about characters recovering from a tragedy. And there's stuff about dolls and frequent shots of a miniature house. It sounds like a Hereditary ripoff, but it really doesn't play out that way. 6 / 10, and I can see why some people would rate it higher.

Fighting with My Family - Surprisingly enjoyable even though I no longer have any interest in pro wrestling. Most movies that try to combine comedy and serious moments don't pull it off this well. 7 / 10

And another universally despised horror remake!

The Grudge (2020) - I can't remember if the earlier movie jumped around in time so much. In this one they do it in a way that often deflates tension, having us spend time with characters who we already know are going to die. The climax is underwhelming too. 4 / 10

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am 

Knowing what I know about Paige's family and their stranglehold that nearly killed UK wrestling until Mark Dallas and Jim Smallman resurrected it ~10 years ago (ICW and Progress, respectively), I can't rightfully watch a movie that glamorizes them and take it as anything but a fluff piece.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:59 pm 

Finally got my hands on the 40th anniversary Alien short movies, and I'd say they're not essential, not "must see" because they just repeat the themes we're already familiar with but they're definitely a nice touch and definitely enjoyable and not an hour of your life you'd consider wasted. Don't learn anything new from them other than that xenomorphs don't exclusively hang around in places that Ripley happens to be but are a thing across the galaxy.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:46 am 

Did anyone see the rumour that WB is planning a Batman sequel directed by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton?

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:03 am 

I saw the danish movie Lykke-Per (english title: A Fortunate Man) yesterday. Highly recomended. Based on a, for danes, classic book series (although as a swede I hadn't heard of it before). I think this is what scandinavian cinema does best. Deep stories (more than meets the eye) and often with a slower approach as of how it is told. This one was also very beautiful both in regards of scenery and costume.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:10 am 

I watched Hannibal the series and Doctor Strange the movie, and it wasn't until I read Mads Mikkelsen's Wikipedia page that I realised that's the crazy priest and the human meat salesman from the really weird movies I saw 13 years ago at a friend's place. (English titles Adam's Apples and Prime Cuts.)

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:22 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Did anyone see the rumour that WB is planning a Batman sequel directed by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton?

What I saw was that Keaton would reprise his role of Batman but in a Flash movie (with Batgirl too, according to my girlfriend).

Wasn't Affleck the Batman in the Flash universe? Feels like the Burtonesque Batman isn't a good fit for the DCEU. But I'm still crossing my fingers that it somehow ends up any good, I like Michael Keaton.

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 pm 

A few days ago I watched The Fugitive for the first time in years. It holds up amazingly well, I like it even more now and is still my favorite Tommy Lee Jones character. 9/10

Stir Of Echoes. This one does not hope up as well but I still enjoyed it. Kevin Bacon just has that charisma to make even a less than stellar script work well. Was very uncomfortable with a scene towards the end. 6/10

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
What I saw was that Keaton would reprise his role of Batman but in a Flash movie (with Batgirl too, according to my girlfriend).

Wasn't Affleck the Batman in the Flash universe? Feels like the Burtonesque Batman isn't a good fit for the DCEU. But I'm still crossing my fingers that it somehow ends up any good, I like Michael Keaton.

The rumour is Michael Keaton and Johnny Depp in Batman Beyond directed by Tim Burton. If it's true I don't know, and if it's connected to the DCEU I know even less, after all DC's most successful recent film wasn't, unless they make Joaquin Phoenix Jared Leto's dad or something.

To be honest I wouldn't make any guesses about the future for the DCEU, DC is clearly still trying to figure itself out and maybe one day they'll have a clear strategy for what they want to do, but we haven't seen that day yet.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am 

Me and the missus finally watched Doctor Sleep over the weekend. I'd like to start by saying I REALLY enjoyed it, and then I'm gonna say a bunch of stuff that makes it sound like I didn't. But trust me, I really did.

So, Doctor Sleep isn't scary, or even very tense on any level. I would never be able to call it a horror film, a psychological thriller, any of the things that might apply to The Shining. I think Doctor Sleep suffered from ads and trailers that sell it as a horror film, and it just isn't. If they were aiming for that, they missed the mark entirely and yet still somehow managed to make an entertaining film. I didn't even realize it was the same guy from Haunted House on Hill Street Hill House Haunted House on the Left (which was a masterpiece). I did spot some familiar faces so I should have put it together. Anyways, he pulls off some visual tricks that I absolutely loved, and the younger main character, Abra, is BEYOND compelling to me. Her absolute fury and bravery in the face of pure evil was DOPE. She almost turned it into a super hero movie of sorts. It was classic good guys versus bad guys and you never once felt like the bad guys were going to win (again, there was just no tension to speak of) but I still wanted to see exactly HOW they were going to lose.

I liked Doctor Sleep a lot, although it was more of a psychokinetic action movie to me than anything else. Totally not scary/tense/edge-of-your-seat in any way but it was incredibly satisfying to watch.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:13 pm 

Yeah it's not a horror movie at all... I really like it though. It's just this really great, sprawling adventure. I think King with the book, and now Flanagan with this movie, are doing some pretty adventurous things as a concept for a sequel.

I saw the 3 hour director's cut and it holds up - very cool flick.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am 

Me and my girlfriend watched it a few months back and thought it was really bad. Just, so boring. No tension, incredibly lame villain(s), derivative (they have to go back to the hotel for some reason, just so we can see the hole in the door etc).

Spoiler: show
I mean, fucking hippie (or gypsy) "force vampires"?

Oh! And the baddie is called Rose the Hat.

Why?

Because she wears a hat.

That's her main thing apart from being generically powerful/evil.

A hat.

There were a few cool things. I liked how broken Danny was as an adult after experiencing the things in the first movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:34 am 

It had a lot of style... say what you will about those bad guys, but I won't forget them any time soon. It was a late-period Stephen King book where he kinda just did whatever he wanted and didn't adhere to a genre.

Rebecca Ferguson was magnetic in that role too. She was just delightful to watch.

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 am 

Noted. I love where Stephen Kings been going these past few years. Hes still as relevant as ever to me. Thanks for the nudge to check Doctor Sleep!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:55 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Noted. I love where Stephen Kings been going these past few years. Hes still as relevant as ever to me. Thanks for the nudge to check Doctor Sleep!

I really can't wait for The Institute to be a movie or show. They better get Flanagan or someone really good for that one.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm 

Mike Flanagan just needs to be cloned so he can pump out horror greatness at multiple volume.

Oculus and The Haunting of Hill House are just straight-up some of my favorite horror stories, and I'm starving for more.
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:18 pm 

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit HE DID OCULUS?!! That movie is SO underrated. I absolutely love it.

I thought Doctor Sleep was a dope action movie with people fighting using their psychokinetic powers. Abra was an absolute superhero to me.

The scene where she stares down the old creepy lady in the bathtub and just flatly says "Try it." gave me goosebumps and happy tears. It literally reminded me of my wife, which is to say it made me think "Our non-existent children will have her fierceness, hopefully." Abra was pretty much the whole deal for me. She made the film a superhero flick.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm 

Oculus was a disappointment for me after the amazing Absentia, but since then he's done so many movies and really gotten into a groove. I did still like Oculus. Maybe it's time for a rewatch...

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:44 pm 

I just watched Blood Machines.... It was... weird. Im not sure theres much to be said about it past the visual elements, which I was floored by. But it truly felt like something we will see more of.
Or maybe I just hope to. It could

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 pm 

Doctor Sleep might be my favorite thing Mike Flanagan has done. I didn't have those nitpicky gripes with DS like I've had with some of his other stuff:

Oculus was entertaining but I don't know if the ending was really satisfying.
Hush was a solid home invasion movie that got overshadowed by Don't Breathe (same year).
The Haunting of Hill House was at its most powerful around midseason, which made the finale seem weaker.

Anyway, his track record is strong enough that I'll watch just about any movie or Netflix show he does.

Quote:
I just watched Blood Machines.... It was... weird.

The visuals in Blood Machines were so interesting it didn't matter that I didn't always know what was going on plot-wise.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 pm 

Man, I really didn't like Don't Breathe much. I guess I've seen worse, but that one just struck me as a lot of bloat and a very stupid plot at the end. Hush was way better for me, much more exciting.

Blood Machines was a wild, weird visual trip... pretty short though.

Haunting of Hill House is my favorite from Flanagan and pretty much the best thing this new horror movement has done, in my opinion. A real work of art.

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:

I can agree. The new IT movies were so much better than the mini-series from 1990.

Check out my reviews

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm 

Mike Flanagan is the best horror director there is currently. Before I Wake was not really his from what I understand, which is probably why that film was not very good. His Ouija movie was decent. Seriously, is supernatural horror even capable of being done well?

Hush was a very good movie and Haunting At Hill House was great. Have not seen Doctor Sleep yet because it does not interest me. I thoroughly dislike the Shining film. Seriously, what is so great about this otherwise boring and stupid movie?

Oculus was an awesome film and while I respect the hell out of his desire to bring Stephen King's absolute greatest novel to the screen and even did a decent job of it, the way they eliminated the most important part of that stories set up - the singular aspect that made it compelling - means the film was never going to be as good as it should have been.
Slater922 wrote:
Dudeguy Jones wrote:
I can agree. The new IT movies were so much better than the mini-series from 1990.
That is not hard when you are comparing it to a first class turd though. The new IT movies were both well made but they REALLY dropped the ball and proved the story will never be good unless you make Pennywise the very definition of evil.

The filmmakers in the IT movies had a chance... In the book and miniseries everyone knows Georgie was murdered, but in the movie it is not for sure. What they should have done was have Bill kill the IT version of Georgie but never actually reveal it was him. The movie already proved Pennywise could be a different entity than whatever he was mimicking (the You'll Float Too scene) so he should have just stepped out after Bill shoots Georgie. Not only would that have gone so much further in creating the misery in Bill's life but it makes Pennywise that much more evil. How do you make a film about an evil entity that exists solely to destroy you - AND has the wisdom of millions of years - and barely scrapes the terrifying surface of what this monster could do?

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 am 

Watched a couple of decent yet very different horrors last night.

As Above, So Below (2014) - 6/10

A pretty good time, and genuinely scary. I'm generally pretty stoic when it comes to jumpscares but one of As Above, So Below's made me either fall out of my chair or shit myself.

I'll let you decide which.

Angst (1983) - 7/10

A sickening, unique slasher (kind of... it's really more of a serial killer study than it is a horror film) that invokes the same kind of oppressive atmosphere as films like Maniac or Henry, while at the same time managing to be drabber than either, yet enjoyable as neither. Though it's put together clean and by the book, its nihilistic hopelessness makes it a bit of a tough watch.

The camera work is certainly memorable. It uses almost exclusively really high or low angle shots, which definitely gives it an uncommon vibe.

Only watch if you're okay with being bummed out for a while.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:36 pm 

My brother and I had a very unorthodox movie night last night.

Cinderella (1950) - 9/10
I saw this a long, long time ago when I was a kid, and I wasn't much for it. But to my surprise, it holds up spectacularly. The prince is a bit of a non-character, but I was astonished at how fun and interesting the other characters were. Cinderella is delightfully sassy, the mice could have easily been annoying but are instead super-charming, Lady Tremaine is one of the great classic Disney villains with a depiction of abuse that's still chilling, plus the King and the Duke are a phenomenal comedy duo. The animation is gorgeous, as well, and the soundtrack is enchanting, if a little idiosyncratically 40s. Again, I'm shocked at how good this movie still is, especially when it's earned a (false) reputation of being bland with a lifeless protagonist. Maybe people were confusing this for the 2017 remake?

The Addams Family (1991) - 7.5/10
Now this one, I've never seen before now. And it frustrates me, because I love so many things about the film dearly, but it has grievous structural issues that weigh it down. If I didn't already know Tim Burton had nothing to do with the movie, I would have bet my car he was the director. Good thing I'm not a gambling man, I guess! But I was enthralled by every member of the Addams family, because their personalities are so immediately charming and iconic--I'm sure being based on a well-established TV series helped, but still, the cast knocked it out of the park. The structural of the narrative, though, feels very meandering and unsure of where to put its focus, making the middle of the film feel confused and bloated, even amidst its wonderful sets and punchy dialogue. It felt almost like the script for an entire season of television being squished into a 90-minute movie. But nevertheless, wobbly overloaded plot or not, I loved nearly everything about The Addams Family, and I'm looking forward to checking out the sequel in the next few days.
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I didn't even realize it was the same guy from Haunted House on Hill Street Hill House Haunted House on the Left

Holy shit, what happened here?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 pm 

Guns Akimbo (2019)
Daniel Radcliffe accidentally enters an underground reality TV show where players hunt each other down across the city and have to kill the other within 24 hours. This is what Hobo With a Shotgun looks and feels like if it were harkening back to that early 00s "edgy brah" action flick, and I mean that in the best of ways. An absolute blast of frantic, stupid energy. 6.5/10

7500 (2019)
A minimalist thriller starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as a co-pilot during a hijacking by Islamic terrorists. 98% of the movie takes place in the cockpit and the tension quickly feels palpable. Very, very solid from Amazon Studios. 7/10

darkeningday wrote:

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:18 pm 

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone here can identify the film someone used to make this music video.

https://youtu.be/hPrnXyjLgh8

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:31 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
I didn't even realize it was the same guy from Haunted House on Hill Street Hill House Haunted House on the Left

Holy shit, what happened here?

Me, just nailing the title.

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Cinderella (1950) - 9/10
I saw this a long, long time ago when I was a kid, and I wasn't much for it. But to my surprise, it holds up spectacularly. The prince is a bit of a non-character, but I was astonished at how fun and interesting the other characters were. Cinderella is delightfully sassy, the mice could have easily been annoying but are instead super-charming, Lady Tremaine is one of the great classic Disney villains with a depiction of abuse that's still chilling, plus the King and the Duke are a phenomenal comedy duo. The animation is gorgeous, as well, and the soundtrack is enchanting, if a little idiosyncratically 40s. Again, I'm shocked at how good this movie still is, especially when it's earned a (false) reputation of being bland with a lifeless protagonist. Maybe people were confusing this for the 2017 remake?

Virtually every other Disney film released before Walt's death is a classic. I can only think of 1-3 movies that were a bit mediocre. Even then, they're still a lot better than many of the other movies that are released today.

Check out my reviews

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 pm 

Hamilton (Presented 2016, aired yesterday on Disney +):

This is obviously a recording of the broadway musical, but I might as well put it here. I thought this was really good. I'm usually not one for musicals, and while it took me a bit of an adjustment at the beginning to listen really carefully to the lyrics, by about 1/3 of the way through I was finding myself understanding everything just as well as a normal play. The songwriting was really good, the dudes who played George Washington and Aaron Burr both did excellent jobs. Strangely enough, I felt the guy who played Hamilton was very underwhelming. Not a terrible actor, but was comparatively flat.

The second half is a lot better than the first, which is sort of a shame because there have been a few people I know who stopped at that point because they felt like the first half was boring. Definitely sit through the whole thing. It's long, but worth it in the end :)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 am 

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance worth watching if I hated Oldboy?

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:21 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Strangely enough, I felt the guy who played Hamilton was very underwhelming. Not a terrible actor, but was comparatively flat.

I've heard similar things about his performance. But I guess when you write one of the most critically acclaimed musicals in history, you're entitled to the biggest part, even if his talents are better suited behind the pen.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:00 pm 

The Burning - This Friday the 13th clone is apparently considered pretty good if Amazon reviews are representative. I thought it sucked. Going through my checklist of things I want from a slasher, this was below average in most ways: characters were generally bland or unlikable, pacing was too slow in the first half, final showdown was anticlimactic.

Only interesting as a bit of movie trivia because it has a young George Costanza with hair and was the first acting credit for Holly Hunter. And the first producer credit for Harvey Weinstein. Ew! 3 / 10

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:07 am 

If you made a list of the most talented people to ever appear in the credits of a movie, Ennio Morricone easily deserved one of the top spots. RIP.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:44 am 

RIP to Morricone. As overplayed as it may be, "The Ecstasy of Gold" may be the single most perfect original film score in recorded history. That and the Terminator 2 theme.

re: The Burning
ChineseDownhill, how familiar are you with other proto-slashers from the late 70s and early 80s? This one was a bit of a drag on my initial viewing, too, but the more of its contemporaries I've seen the more this one stands out. It isn't Black Christmas or Prom Night levels of classic, but it's a good fit beside stuff like Slumber Party Massacre and My Bloody Valentine, and that much better than the derivative late 80s slashers that flooded the market and nearly killed the horror genre.

Onward (2019)
Once again, Pixar succeeds where Disney by itself falters, delivering a great and heartfelt journey wrapped up in a fun and whimsical package. Two brothers who lost their father early in their lives, leaving one without any memories of him and the other with only a handful, discover a magical method of bringing him back for one day. Their quest is a fun subversion of fantasy tropes with a modern packaging, succeeding in many of the areas where Bright failed. 8/10, behind only The Incredibles and Finding Nemo for my favorite Pixar fare.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:59 pm 

Despite notable exceptions like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist, I think many of the "classic" horror movies from the 70s and early 80s just aren't that good. Not necessarily all slashers, but here's an incomplete list of ones I've seen that would get no higher than 5 / 10 from me.

The Cat O' Nine Tails - Largely unimpressed with Argento, except I kinda like Opera
Black Christmas - Gave this at least 2 chances, don't like the first remake either
Eaten Alive - Hooper will never replicate TCM, will he ....... ?
The Hills Have Eyes - Remake is better
The Fog - Consistent with my "Carpenter is overrated" attitude
My Bloody Valentine - Remake is probably better
The Funhouse - ....... Apparently not!
The New York Ripper - Worst I've seen from Fulci
The Slumber Party Massacre - Rated 5 / 10 on IMDB but don't remember much

The original Sleepaway Camp is worth watching I'd say, for the ending if nothing else. And I remember being surprised by Bay of Blood because I didn't know anybody was making stuff like that in 1971.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm 

Each their own, I suppose. The grit and grime of the era makes it stand head and shoulders above every other period of horror for me.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:55 am 

Yes, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was stunning. Painful to watch as it forced mostly good people into situations where their actions were truly monstrous, but a good film all the same. It did feel like it played second strings to Haneke who was also the biggest influence, but everyone isn't as good as Haneke, including Haneke.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:58 pm 

Yummy - Weird horror/comedy type of thing about zombies unleashed at a plastic surgery facility. It's goofy and not particularly substantial, but if you're into gory over the top zombies, it could be worse.

Fistful of Dollars - I think I'd only seen this one once like a decade ago. Classic old Western with a lot of beautiful scenery and also action-movie violence erupting. I think they kill everybody in this fucking town. Starts off a bit slow but it builds into basically a nonstop shootout by the final act. Not my favorite of these types of things but it's charmingly energetic and has a gritty, quick pace to it that makes it addictive once it kicks into gear.

Wild at Heart - I had never seen this one. Fantastic. This is a wild, violent, raunchy American west fable with a romantic bent to it. Equal parts tender and grotesque. Nic Cage and Laura Dern are irresistible and fun to watch, and Lynch does this up with his usual off-kilter pitch-black comedy and absurdist tendencies. This was basically exactly what I was in the mood for but didn't even know it.

Also watched Midsommar again for the time of the year it currently is. I really think there's more layers and complexity to this than I initially thought. Just really impressive. I love its psychedelic odd waves and the character writing and dialogue keep impressing me more and more. This and Doctor Sleep just both seem to have grown on me a lot.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 764, 765, 766, 767, 768, 769  Next