Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:22 am 

Park Chan-Wook's Lady Vengeance was another excellent movie, making me wonder all the more what the hell happened to this once great director.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 am 

Carrying over from the TV thread. I was happy, I finally found a guy who shared the two different remakes of War of the Worlds from 2005 with distinct names, not just "War of the Worlds (2005)" for both like everyone else. So I went to Wikipedia to double check, and guess fucking what, there's THREE War of the Worlds remakes from 2005.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:48 pm 

Park Chan-wook wasn't a great director - he still is an absolutely outstanding director. His latest feature film, The Handmaiden, is a masterpiece with multiple layers that I have watched on numerous occasions. Most people seem to be in agreement if one refers to the excellent ratings and reviews on IMDb. In my opinion, Oldboy is a masterpiece and one of my favourite movies. The highly emotional Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is however the best film of the trilogy while Lady Vengeance is only good but not excellent. I have said it before and will say it again, the greatest movies these days come from South Korea.

Here are some other films I have recently been watching:

Freaks: 8/10 - Clever and mysterious science-fiction film with an interesting story and intriguing characters
The Hunt for Vlad the Impaler: 7/10 - Turkish war movie with intriguing characters and locations even though the story isn't historically accurate
Abigail: 8/10 - Russian steampunk movie with wonderful visual effects
Guns Akimbo: 7/10 - Over-the-top action satire that criticizes sensationalism
Jigsaw: 5/10 - Weak reboot of the franchise with an odd story
Assassination Classroom: 8/10 - Highly entertaining live action film that combines multiple genres
Assassination Classroom: The Graduation: 8/10 - The second and last entry is much more sinister as the plot gets more intriguing as well
The Witch: Part One - The Subversion: 9/10 - Sinister South Korean science-fiction film with intriguing characters
Rurouni Kenshin Part One: Origins: 9/10 - The best live action movie of the franchise that introduces all characters splendidly and convinces with a focused story
Rurouni Kenshin Part Two: Kyoto Inferno: 7/10 - The action scenes are great but the story is unbalanced and the middle section loses steam
Rurouni Kenshin Part Three: The Legend Ends: 7/10 - Outstanding fight scenes and great conclusion but once again with several unnecessary lengths
The Invisible Man: 7/10 - This is a gripping drama on the pulse of time rather than a horror movie
The Elephant Man: 8/10 - I have wanted to watch this drama for a long time and it didn't disappoint with its profoundly human story

''Hanako and the Suicide Forest'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/hanako-and-the-suicide-forest-a187892062

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:30 pm 

Freaks was really good, yeah. More people need to see that one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm 

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was a bit better, but Lady Vengeance was more novel with a smarter tone and less schlocky. Oldboy was faux-Shakespearean pseudo intellectual pulp trash made for edgy teen goths. I'll grant that it was better than Stoker, though since Stoker is one of the worst films this century, that's not saying much.

I can't tell if the "omg look at the IMDB rating!!!" is sarcasm, I certainly hope it is.

I've seen a bunch of SoKor films lately: The Suspect, The Man from Nowhere, The Villainess and The Outlaws, and all but Nowhere was better than Chan-Wook.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 pm 

I think we have to agree to disagree. The Man from Nowhere is by far my favourite film of the four you have mentioned. I haven't watched Stoker yet but I will give it a try in the future.

''Hanako and the Suicide Forest'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/hanako-and-the-suicide-forest-a187892062

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:18 pm 

Watched The Shining for the first time in many years tonight. Fantastic film, and probably the masterpiece of both Kubrick and Jack Nicholson's careers. Here be my interpretation of it, spoilered for the few that have yet to see it.

Spoiler: show
I am of the opinion that the reason everything in this movie happens is because the hotel itself is a sentient, malevolent entity taken over by the spirits of the Indians affected and displaced by its creation, as early in the film it is explained that the hotel was built on an Indian burial ground, and its creation was violently opposed by the Native tribes of the area. I believe that Jack, Grady, and any other potential former caretakers of the hotel were reincarnations of former hotel guests from decades prior, specifically the Fourth of July 1921 party shown in the photograph at the end of the film, hence Jack's appearance in said photo, and the hotel burdens him with that knowledge to the point of driving him insane and homicidal towards his wife and son. The reason Jack hallucinates the ball where he meets Lloyd and Grady as being a Roaring 20s soiree is because his former self was from that period of time, and that's why and how he knows Lloyd the bartender's name. An alternative hypothesis is that the spirit of the caretaker itself jumps from reincarnation to reincarnation of people from the Fourth of July ball, doomed to repeat the same murderous spree forevermore. That would explain why Grady tells Jack that he's "always been the caretaker".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 pm 

The Handmaiden was really fucking good. I totally forgot that guy did Stoker, what the hell.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:50 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Watched The Shining for the first time in many years tonight. Fantastic film, and probably the masterpiece of both Kubrick and Jack Nicholson's careers. Here be my interpretation of it, spoilered for the few that have yet to see it.

I am of the opinion that the reason everything in this movie happens is because the hotel itself is a sentient, malevolent entity taken over by the spirits of the Indians affected and displaced by its creation, as early in the film it is explained that the hotel was built on an Indian burial ground, and its creation was violently opposed by the Native tribes of the area. I believe that Jack, Grady, and any other potential former caretakers of the hotel were reincarnations of former hotel guests from decades prior, specifically the Fourth of July 1921 party shown in the photograph at the end of the film, hence Jack's appearance in said photo, and the hotel burdens him with that knowledge to the point of driving him insane and homicidal towards his wife and son. The reason Jack hallucinates the ball where he meets Lloyd and Grady as being a Roaring 20s soiree is because his former self was from that period of time, and that's why and how he knows Lloyd the bartender's name. An alternative hypothesis is that the spirit of the caretaker itself jumps from reincarnation to reincarnation of people from the Fourth of July ball, doomed to repeat the same murderous spree forevermore. That would explain why Grady tells Jack that he's "always been the caretaker".

It's been a decade or so since I've read the book, but

in the book it's very much the case that the hotel has its own "spirit." It's not a haunted hotel in the book, it's a hotel that haunts people. I don't want to spoil the book too much but let's just say that at one point there's an another visualization of it in addition to the hotel. I actually don't remember the burial ground aspect being in the book at all. I remember this one time before I saw the movie, I was explaining the "hotel is actually kinda alive" aspect to some friends and then being very confused when they started talking about Indian burial grounds.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:16 am 

If I remember correctly, the miniseries of The Shining from the 90s is much closer to the book, as Stephen King himself wrote the teleplay for the miniseries so that there'd be an adaptation of the book he'd actually enjoy, considering how much he didn't like Kubrick's take on the book.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Luvers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 am 

Subrick wrote:
You know I never enjoyed this movie when younger, was always disappointed with it. I watched the film a few weeks ago after someone recommended it as something to view while everyone was in lockdown. Perhaps it was due to being in that mindset but I discovered a whole new level of enjoyment for the movie. I still have issues with the film but I no longer view it as bad anymore. Even though I never liked it I always felt it was better than the King endorsed miniseries. Even if it was closer to the book, I found it so lame as to be unwatchable.

One thing I did want to mention is that King always disliked Shelly Duvall as Wendy and had imagined her much more in vain as Rebecca DeMornay but I do not believe it would have worked with DeMornay in Kubrick's version anyway. King and others like to criticize Shelly for being too weak and timid but that is a poor surface reading. If the focus was only on the surface it still would not work because the "hot, trophy wife" as King had envisioned her would very likely not have loved Jack like the "homely, grateful wife" in Kubrick's version. When you analyze Kubrick's film though, Wendy is a woman of incredible strength and perserverance. Not only do you only see her doing all of the hotel work Jack is supposed to be doing, she also is the only one who cares for Danny and is completely devalued and disrespected by her husband, both by his laziness and his emotional manipulation. It is really sad actually to watch and might be why it took so long to truly get invested.

Even though I had already seen it all the way through as a teenager, when I was much older and married I could not watch the bat scene. The tension is so palpable and when what is being shown on film hits that close to home, it can be emotionally overwhelming.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:29 am 

kluseba wrote:
I think we have to agree to disagree. The Man from Nowhere is by far my favourite film of the four you have mentioned. I haven't watched Stoker yet but I will give it a try in the future.

Man from Nowhere had cool fight scenes but it was just another Taken-style revenge flick with weird The Professional child grooming undertones. It also had the depth of a can of tuna. The Suspect did the "quiet mysterious hero" so much better I can't even fathom how you could think it was worse, and it mixed it with Bourne movies instead of Taken, which I certainly hope you regard as the superior between the two.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Guns Akimbo: 7/10 - Over-the-top action satire that criticizes sensationalism

I thought this was pretty fun and worth watching. But the flashy visuals and modern technology based plot kept reminding me of Nekrotronic which I liked a little better.

And it didn't help that the movie never convinced me the main character was in much danger. Didn't seem like Nix was really trying all that hard to kill him.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:58 pm 

Find a random guy on Soulseek. Tell him how much it pisses you off that Michael Fassbender created the xenomorphs. You'll never find anybody who disagrees.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:01 pm 

One of the upsides to Disney owning the IP is that they have a track record of tossing out previously established canon, I guess

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 am 

The Apostle - This had a pretty bad first hour or so, with weak writing and muddled plot. It redeems itself later on with some entertainingly over the top gore and weirdness, though I'd say the whole thing never really sucked me into the world of this strange island in the 1900s it was trying to create. It could've probably used some editing and I never got invested in any characters. But some of the imagery was cool.

For a Few Dollars More - A badass bank-heist Western. This is just a nice long epic and I can really get into the groove and atmosphere of what it's doing - all the convoluted plotting and gritty action and tenuous, mistrustful alliances. It's just bare bones classic stuff now, and there's not much I could say I didn't like about it.

Persona - Ingmar Bergman's winding, complex character study is just a delight of opaque, complex writing and excellent directing. The performances from the two leads are killer, and the writing explores insecurity and inferiority complex with a fine-tuned blade, not sparing anything. It just gets weirder and bleaker as it goes on and throws in some really oddball shit, and all in all this is like a puzzle that I'll likely revisit another time to see what else I notice.

Guns Akimbo - OK, so the action in this is fun and I actually kind of like the characters. But the 'message' and social commentary was just so bad and embarrassing - you wouldn't think a movie about a dude with guns for hands could have anything more silly, but this was like a really quite bad, poorly written "satire" about how shallow everyone is. Ooh they'll watch murder on the internet. It's like the writing of a 13 year old trying to be deep, and doesn't really have any interesting points. I found this to be very annoying, but if you want some silly stuff you'll probably like it OK.

Also, the other shitty thing about this was how it started off all like 'oh this isn't one of those romance movies where the girl is treated like an object for the guy to win' but then she is given no meaningful role or personality at all anyway, and her function is only to be kidnapped - what a load of shit.

The Old Guard - This one is pretty solid - a somber, dark action/thriller about a bunch of immortals preyed upon by people who want to take advantage of them. It almost seemed like something that could be a TV show, as the characters were only just barely touched on. But the acting is all good and the story is cool, if not quite as satisfying as I'd like by the climax. But it's very watchable.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm 

I watched The Dead don't Die, and the movie was an absolute surprise. I didn't know I could be bored so much by a movie starring Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton and Steve Buscemi.

It's actually dreadful. For a moment, I thought it would be OK, that once the zombie apocalypse started, it would have some pay-off, but no. Long shots of Driver and Murray driving around, talking half-bored about weird stuff that happens and that people don't seem to react to and that don't seem to have a use in the movie.

There are multiple characters who are just there: Selena Gomez' gang is just useless, her character leads nowhere, she dies off-screen. The three kids at the juvie have no purpose, they're not funny, they're not interesting, they don't have an arc, their story doesn't end. Tilda Swinton is an alien, because. Adam Driver breaks the 4th wall, because. Those two things would be ok in a real goofball movie, which it isn't, with a downer, moralizing ending that makes no sense.

The best part are some of Driver's dialogue and the blink-and-you-miss-it gag that a 738 inhabitant town has a massive juvenile detention facility and a huge morgue, which is weird. Even the attempts at bringing homage to other movies with the movie nerd are just scratching the surface.

Steve Buscemi plays a Trump-loving racist, but aside from a racist cap and a badly worded phrase, we're not really shown why everyone hates him so much, but everyone sure do tell how they hate his guts. I mean, I get he's a racist, but that's so surface-level character, and it doesn't even bring anything; no redemption, no ironic death (maybe by a KKK zombie?). Just "haha the Trump lover is dead", only not even that. He's a racist because.,, racist are bad, right, and the movie wants to tell us, but it's so surface-level, it might be levitating.

The gore is basic, the zombies look goofy, the action scene at the end is supported by a downer song and a downer monologue. The more I think about the movie, the less I find there is to like, in fact I'd have given it a 4/10, then talking with my girlfriend I knocked it down to 3/10, now I'm thinking seriously 2/10.

This amazing cast deserved better.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:40 pm 

I watched the music documentary Miles Davis: Birth of The Cool on Netflix last night. I really enjoyed it. If you know much about Miles Davis, you would know that both his music and style evolved heavily throughout the 50s through the late 80s. It was nice seeing this evolution in a more historical context because it gave an understanding of how he incorporated modern sensibilities into his music. Definitely recommend :)

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 pm 

Verotika - Glenn Danzig's horror anthology earned the rare 10 / 10 from Blabbermouth. I gave it 1 / 10, which I only use for movies so bad they wrap around and work as unintentional comedy. Probably not as consistently funny as Plan 9 from Outer Space (need to revisit that soon?) or as quotable as The Room, but recommended for bad movie enthusiasts.

Best segment: the one with the stripper who's shy about baring her face
Worst segment: the Elizabeth Bathory retelling; you don't get much more out of this than you'd get from looking at the cover of Cruelty and the Beast for 5 seconds

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 am 

I watched Alien: Covenant today and it's such a generic nothing burger of a movie. All the amazing CG xenomorphs and gore effects felt incredibly wasted.

My absolute favorite thing about it was how
Danny McBride spent literally 10 seconds being sad about his wife dying and she's never mentioned again lol. She was a dumb character anyways so it's fitting her death is 100% inconsequential to anyone else in the film.

2/5

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:35 am 

Giving Alien: Covenant a 2/5 is really giving it more than it deserves. Horrific movie that should not even exist.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:19 am 

There's a reason I stand adamant that Ridley Scott peaked with Blade Runner.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:38 am 

The thermonuclear suck of Alien Covenant aside at least I can fully understand and share the immense respect for Ridley Scott, which I cannot say for James Cameron being treated like a demigod for three cool action movies (Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens) decades ago and a load of mediocre fluff ever since.

Kudos though for remembering a character from Alien Covenant, I just saw it as Michael Fassbender and a bunch of extras, had no idea who is who and no reason to care because their character depth consisted of women screaming when they're scared and men try to solve things but die anyway, they're not even full stereotypes, more like one tenth of a stereotype and nine tenth of nothing.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:50 pm 

Prometheus could have been fine as a separate, unrelated intellectual property; with a fewer amount of smooth-lobed characters it could have even been quite good. As a part of the Alien franchise, it is a train wreck. I refused to see Covenant. Alien 3 was a disappointment, Alien 4 was unneeded and cringe. We do not speak of the AvP movies.

The series should have stopped after the second movie.

I liked Gladiator, so I wouldn't say I've enjoyed none of Scott's post-Alien work.

That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm 

I still haven't seen Gladiator. I heard a lot of good things about it in the past two decades but it's hard to bring myself to it because the Russell Crowe movies I've seen I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

I do pretty well with most accents in English, but some things like extreme Australian or extreme Cockney I'm just wtf kinda language is that.

(Doesn't always follow logical patterns, either. Like Marvel's Luke Cage with the Jamaicans I understood them just fine without the subtitles, while BBC's Hitchhiker's Gide to the Galaxy mini-series I could barely follow.)

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 am 

James Cameron is revered for just how insanely brilliant he is on an artistic and technical level. He's the director who jumps into the freezing water to get the perfect shot, literally designs brand new equipment so the picture quality matches what he's imagining (the modern 3D process was almost entirely his design), he'll unload the trucks in between doing intricate matte paintings...

Yeah. Cameron beats the fuck out of Scott, IMO. His best is better than Scott's, seen as brilliant right away and still seen as such.

darkeningday wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:11 am 

None of that means anything if his movies aren't good, which they haven't been been for...I don't even know when. I'll never forgive him for Avatar, which was not only abysmal in its own right, but also heralded this woeful 3D craze. I hope he takes another 10+ years working on the sequel. :lol:

The Counselor was a very good Ridley Scott movie from the last decade, but otherwise he's just as far gone as Cameron. Covenant really was as unwatchable as everyone here says.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 pm 

Both Prometheus and Covenant were just such insults and slaps in the face. Generic-ass writing, lazy plotting, a lot of pretension for no reason. Fuck both of em.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:29 pm 

I think Covenant is a lot worse for the insulting xenomorph origin story and all the characters being basically extras (in Prometheus they were at least lazy stereotypes, which is one small level above nothing.)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 pm 

Yeah, the way I think of it is, Prometheus was mostly sleep-inducing and going-through-the-motions shit, whereas Covenant was actively annoying so that my buddy and I stayed awake out of spite to insult it the entire movie.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:55 pm 

When I heard that the film basically retcons the queen out of the canon I boycotted it on principle. As far as I'm concerned the story stopped with Aliens, everything after that is fan fiction.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm 

I stand by the second AVP movie being a delightful blast, at least in the idea of an alien invasion occurring in Dawson's Creek.

Watched Mission: Impossible - Fallout today. It's cool to see continuity between the movies, particularly the third onward, but this was just...meh? Meh. Probably the best singular word to describe it.

darkeningday wrote:

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:57 am 

As far as the Alien franchise goes, I'm not too attached to it really. I love Alien, and Aliens is okay, but I didn't grow up on them so I'm not obsessed or of the mind that everything after the second entry is absolutely godawful offensive like I am with the Terminator franchise.

So I guess that explains why I didn't hate Covenant. It's a dumb popcorn movie, which is the same argument I've seen made for Terminator 3, Salvation, and Genisys, which I can understand diehards of the franchise would be upset about. It's stupid entertainment for the masses and I'll never watch it again, but it ain't worth hating. I'd definitely prefer to rewatch the original AVP though.

That being said, Predator > Alien, both in film and creature forms.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:26 am 

Well I'm a fan of both and I can't agree, I don't think any of the failed Terminator reboots is anywhere near as boring and lifeless as the Alien prequels. They may all be the most unnecessary thing this side of Independence Day: Resurgence, but at least something is happening in them.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 am 

droneriot wrote:
Well I'm a fan of both and I can't agree,

Good for you?
droneriot wrote:
I don't think any of the failed Terminator reboots is anywhere near as boring and lifeless as the Alien prequels. They may all be the most unnecessary thing this side of Independence Day: Resurgence, but at least something is happening in them.

Nah. T3 is the most boring, unnecessary, biggest example of missing the mark rehash ever, Salvation takes a surprisingly solid cast and does fuck all with em (FUCK YOU "McG" YOU DOGSHIT HACK), and Genisys is the most abhorrent, insulting, poorly acted, cock waggling creation ever captured on film. Every single person involved with Genisys deserves to be rammed up the ass with a molten hot semi-truck tractor trailer to death. Sorry J.K. Simmons, but that means you too.

Dark Fate is fine, btw.

The Alien sequel bullshit might suck ass (and sure, yeah they do), but I don't care enough about the franchise to get upset about them. In fact I don't care enough about the franchise to even watch all of them.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 am 

The Alien trilogy was my Star Wars as a kid. The first tattoo on my "movie" arm is of the Xeno that menaces Ripley and Newt before the Queen calls it off, and I chose that over getting something from Ghostbusters first because of how deeply the series affected me at an early age. (There's also a joke to be made about my current worldview and my early love of sci-fi/fantasy settings that employ blue collar sensibilities.)

The prequels are offensive dogshit. I will watch Feig's GB reboot over Prometheus. I will uphold any of the garbage Terminator sequels over them on principle alone, even if they, too, are dogshit (at least the idea of time travel allows room for retconning the canon). As much as I hate Resurrection for being a generic Whedonite comedy, as awful as the first AVP was for turning a hard-R series into generic pewpewpew PG-13 garbage, and as poorly written/acted/directed AVP-R was despite its enjoyable schlock factor? It still isn't as insulting as Ridley Scott coming back and going "none of it matters because I want to ask questions nobody gave a fuck about, and I'm going to answer all of them quarter-assedly."

Fuck the prequels.

darkeningday wrote:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 am 

I think I have a slight bias that lets me see Resurrection as better than it is because of the cast, because:

1) I saw it right after City of the Lost Children and it brings back One and the clones.
2) The Crow is my favourite movie of all time and Michael Wincott plays my favourite villain of all time in it.
3) I'm a huge Trekkie and I've never seen Brad Dourif and Leland Orser (two of the best psycho character actors) in the same thing together.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:43 am 

Two movies we watched this weekend that were better than I expected (and both of them ironically, I never would have checked out at all if I knew more about them).

The Ruins -- Some really generic white people in their 20s are on vacation and get solicited to join an archaeological dig at a Mayan ruins. Because that's happened to all of us right? Hanging at the resort pool slamming some margs and BOOM! random German dude bumps into you and invites you to what should probably be a private dig-site. Things go bad from there but certainly not in the way I expected. I don't want to spoil the antagonist because again, it sounds too corny and would have turned me off from even checking the movie. I asked my wife "Is it more The Descent or As Above So Below?" and she just laughed at me. Now I understand why. There were some really solid gore-scenes with practical effects and a med student just uh...doing his best for his whitebread friends. The movie has a real hopeless atmosphere that I dig on. Reminded me of Green Room mixed with Green Inferno, but not as good as either one.

Orphan -- A paper-thin family adopts a 9 year old Russian girl who seems to be just a little too perfect for them. But wait, why does she only wear clothes from the 1800's and will completely flip out if you try to remove her collar or wrist adornments? This is another movie that I probably enjoyed as much because of my own wrong-headed guesses as to what was going on as anything else. I was dead-set on the idea that she had to be some kind of supernatural being, some gypsy witch that was actually thousands of years old. She...isn't. The actual "twist" is kind of cornball but the execution was fun as fuck. She manipulates the father with the skill of an elderly Jewish grandmother and she plays the children off each other and against the mother. It was just a fun watch.

Oh and we rewatched the first Hostel. I literally hadn't seen it since high school. I'm 34 now. It's wild how much the terrible dialogue and garbage characters reflected my own high school experience. They must say "faggot" and "retarded" at least 200 times in the first 30 minutes. Once the bad shit starts happening and they all quit talking it's infinitely more enjoyable. I'll admit I was nervous because in high school I had a reputation as being impossible to gross out but these days...I don't know, something changed. Certain things hit me really hard. I almost passed out watching Gerald's Game when she "gets out" of the handcuffs, for instance. Proud to say that the over the top gore-porn of Hostel still doesn't bother me a bit. In fact I was slamming through a big portion of lo mein noodles right as the "eye clipping" scene happens and it didn't phase me. Phew.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:06 am 

That's really how I've come to be, too - in high school I didn't care much about gore and was unfazed by a lot of shit. Now I feel like I'm affected way more by stuff like that Gerald's Game thing you mentioned. Just goes with growing up I guess. Empathy and all.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:01 pm 

droneriot wrote:
3) I'm a huge Trekkie and I've never seen Brad Dourif and Leland Orser (two of the best psycho character actors) in the same thing together.

Have you seen Faults? Leland Orser and Mary Elizabeth Winstead toe-to-toe as a cult deprogrammer and a cultist, with support by the always fantastic Beth Grant, Lance Reddick, and John Gries. A sleeper hit for me from a few years back.

Speaking of sleeper hits, The Vast of Night (2019) deserves everybody's attention in how to build mood and carry a movie with minimalist but charismatic performances. Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz are perfect in their roles as a teenage switchboard operator and high school radio host, respectively, who encounter strange signals over the airwaves. By the time they meet with Gail Cronauer toward the end...damn. I get chills just remembering it. Beautiful in its simplicity.

Like Empy, I've gotten weak when it comes to gore in my older years. Especially stuff involving intestines. I guess that happens when you've had a hernia and seen your girlfriend's insides spread about during a C-section, eh?

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 765, 766, 767, 768, 769  Next