Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Don't Look in the Fucking Basement - A bunch of ex-cons who now work as movers get called to a suspicious house and things go awry. This starts off fairly innocuous but goes in a dark direction later. Pretty fucking harrowing and violent, and that gets you to care about the leads through this plight. It's not subtle at all but this is just a sledgehammer of a movie that hits you straight in the fucking gut. Brutal.

Link to more info about this movie? Looked around and all I could find was a similarly titled movie from 1972, which I'm pretty sure isn't it.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm 

Seems like I completely got the title wrong... it'd been a few days since I saw it: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11505692/

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Watched One Night in Miami. It's about one night in, duh, Miami where Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, Sam Cook and Jim Brown met together. It was an interesting movie focused on dialogues and different world views supported by great actors. I don't think it was anything to write home about, but unlike Mank I remained into the movie and didn't fall asleep, despite once again overeating over Saturday night supper (chicken and bacon poutine, if you must know). I don't know enough of these four characters to even guess at how accurate the movie is at portraying them, but all four were equally interesting. The direction is a bit flat, but that's probably because it's a movie very focused on a few characters and locations.

Maybe it's because Sam Cooke is my third favourite recording artist of all time, but I absolutely loved this film. The scene where he explains giving his publishing to Rolling Stones was amazing. The Bob Dylan "Blowin' In The Wind" segment, equally as amazing. I can't even think of the Chain Gang scene without getting goosebumps. I really hope a full-blown Cooke biopic is in the work, because his story is fascinating.

darkeningday wrote:
Oscar nominations are in.

Sound of Metal made it, boys.

So starts my Oscar Deathrace, where I attempt to see every single film nominated (shorts included, and even films that only net nominations like Best Original Song). I've been doing this for a decade now, and I've only actually completed the race about 3 times. Sometimes there is a film or two that becomes impossible to see if you don't live in a big metro with a lot of theatres. This year might be different due to the pandemic and films being pushed out to streaming services.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 am 

Living in a city with lots of theatres, big and small, this year it actually feels harder to watch everything. So many platforms, god damn I wish some of those are absorbed by the bigger players, because I don't want to keep managing subscriptions.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:11 am 

I think I was too hasty in not showering praise on Johnnie To's Drug War. I've thought about little else ever since I watched it, which rarely happens to me these days. I'm still kinda iffy on how cruel and nihilistic the ending is, though I'm not sure it could've ended any other way (and it MAY have been at the behest of the Chinese government). Drug War, despite its contentious title, stays completely detached and impartial, never once casting a moralistic gaze on either the gangsters or the cops. And yet as unlikable as you'd think the "heros" of the movie should be, you still form a real connection to them. The whole film is a masterclass in dramatic irony and tension, and just an incredible movie all around. It's the rare action movie where the action is magnificent yet everything around the action scenes are every bit as compelling.

Thanks to YesIam I've picked up The Heroic Trio, The Longest Nite, Mad Detective and also Running Out of Time, Three and Breaking News, and I can't wait to dig in. I can't believe that's still only 10% of his entire filmography :lol: . I've only seen a handful of Hong Kong movies not directed by John Woo (or To), and they all felt chintzy and pastiche and I consequently dismissed the entire HK industry. Goddamn am I glad I was wrong.

Oh yeah, I also saw the South Korean remake of Drug War, Believer, which tries to outdo Drug War. It has a few interesting moments and I don't really regret having watched it, but trying to improve on what's essentially a perfect movie is destined to fall flat on its face. And more often than not, it does.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 am 

I watched an hour of Zack Snyder's Justice League last night and I definitely liked what I saw.

That's all. No spoilers.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:39 pm 

I had no interest in Snyder's Justice League to begin with (Snyder's not a very good filmmaker and the DCEU in general was doomed to failure the moment Warner chose him to be the creative head of it), but the length of the movie just hammered home my complete and utter apathy towards it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:48 pm 

Not sure I want to waste 4 hours watching Snyder's Justice League. I'm a huge Batman fan and liked the Nolan movies. I also liked Watchmen. My enjoyment of super hero movies ends there, I didn't enjoy any of the Marvel movies and Batman vs. Superman had some cool ideas but the second half of the movie was terrible. Most of them have a lot of wasted potential.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:55 pm 

I hate pretty much everything Snyder did so the only way you'd get me to watch that Justice League movie is if someone forced me to by kidnapping my family.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm 

Zack Snyder is good at making movies when the entire framework of what the movie is supposed to be is laid before him. That's why his best movie is 300, a movie that is almost shot-for-shot, panel-for-panel lifted from the graphic novel, and he generally exceeds at remakes and adaptations. Maybe that's why he was given the DCEU, but it was clearly a bad choice, as the majority of those movies have sucked ass.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:24 pm 

I did see the Snyder Cut Justice League. Long as fuck, unnecessarily so, and while it is a major improvement over the theatrical... it's still the same movie at the core. It provides a lot of context to actions and characters that were glaringly missing. Clearer motivations, less chinzy humor, no Russian family subplot, and a world that feels a little more populated than the almost completely isolated story of the theatrical one.

The biggest takeaway - Cyborg got fucked by Whedon's version. In the Synder cut, he's basically the most compelling one. The crew in general felt like they jived better - with 4 hours to cram all these characters in, half of which didn't have their own movies at the time of original release, they tried. No more CGI Superman lip, the "thirsty" scene is gone and another Martha / Lois scene is put back in (but it gets robbed of the emotion when the reveal happens after). 2017 Steppenwolf was a complete joke; Snyder Steppewolf actually felt like he could hold his own in a fight but was only a couple of notches higher in terms of depth. The Parademon underlings that were sort of the main driving force in the theatrical with the "fear" mechanic was apparently a Whedon thing, cause in the Snyder Cut they have no real significance except to locate the boxes.

One of the biggest issues to me was the music, which is distracting at best and annoying at worst, bar a few specific moments when it was actually good (like the Flash one at the final battle). Every time anything Amazonian-related (including WW) happened they had what I call "ethnic wailing" which quickly became laughably bad. The singing woman at the Icelandic village was supposed to be a serious moment but it was uncomfortably embarrassing - and it went on forever! Speaking of scenes going on too long, the dream sequence in the trailer with Joker. Talk about a scene that amounts to nothing now going on far too long. This movie has so much to set up for future films, and at the time maybe that was supposed to go somewhere, but Leto's Joker is at best tolerable in the Snyder Cut (and just barely; him in Suicide Squad was the worst).

Overuse of slow-motion (a Snyder staple), too much to cram, long-ass runtime, aspect ratio that didn't need to be 4:3, the daytime fight with Superman is still bad even with a few things cleaned up, and 2017 meme Batman became somewhat useful again. I still think him launching out of the car at the final battle to be point-and-laugh worthy. Some minor: Wonder Woman in civilian clothing falling from heights and landing perfectly without breaking her high-heels, Flash's intro rescue (it's in the trailer) taking too long and being there only to setup a future film, world still feels rather empty compared to earlier DCEU entries.

None of these DCEU movies that I've seen I'd rate higher than a 6, with most of them 5 or under, and I think this Cut I'd put around that 5 or 6 mark (maybe cause it shines compared to the theatrical, which was utter garbage). Now granted, the first mistake of this entire thing was choosing Snyder to helm this universe. Terrible choice, poor vision, etc. There's too much to cover in terms of that whole thing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:03 pm 

I'm interested in the Snyder cut, but I don't have an HBO account, which is annoying.

Honestly, though, I'm no die-hard fan of him, but I find Snyder's super-hero films to be some of the more interesting films of its genre released in the 21st century (I find him way more interesting than Nolan for example). I actually was really getting into him when Justice League was initially coming out, but when he was replaced with Joss Whedon (who I'm no fan of at all), it felt like a roller-coaster ride that just stopped in the middle of its course.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:07 pm 

Sounds like the same thing that happened with Dawn of Justice: Director's cut fleshes out the characters and story and makes things make a bit more sense, but it's still essentially same movie at the end of the day, only just meh instead of insulting dogshit like the theatrical version.

HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:31 pm 

The Father - Best movie I've seen in years, but to call this one a rough watch is an understatement. Supporting cast is all solid to great, but this is clearly Anthony Hopkins's show and he gives a phenomenal performance, it just rips your heart out. If you've recently had a family member suffer from Alzheimers / dementia, this may even be a little too raw.

Russian Raid - Here's a movie to put your brain aside for a bit, crack open a few beers and just have a good time watching people beat the shit out of each other. But don't worry, it's not all hand to hand, there's plenty of gunwork as well. It involves a group of thugs invading a factory run by another group of thugs, and much chaos ensues. There's a revenge factor as well, but this is not a film for intricate plotting or well developed characters. It's all about the violence, and delivers quite well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:58 pm 

Watched Saint Maud last night. A horror/suspense, A24 jam. At this point, I think I can just say I'm a total A24 fanboy. They know what I like. Heaps of tension and a little confusion.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:18 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Zack Snyder is good at making movies when the entire framework of what the movie is supposed to be is laid before him. That's why his best movie is 300, a movie that is almost shot-for-shot, panel-for-panel lifted from the graphic novel, and he generally exceeds at remakes and adaptations. Maybe that's why he was given the DCEU, but it was clearly a bad choice, as the majority of those movies have sucked ass.
If you ask me, part of the reason why Snyder is such a mixed bag as a director, at least when he's doing adaptations, is because he's TOO "faithful" to the source material (although slavish is the term I'd use). Take the funeral sequence in Watchmen, for instance; now, flashing back and forth between the present and the past worked in the comic because it's a medium that isn't as sensitive to issues of pacing, but when Snyder does the same thing in the film just because that's the source material did, and the same sequence ends up dragging on unnecessarily for forever, because mainstream film is a form of media that's generally designed to be viewed in a single sitting, so pacing is a thing you have to pay more attention when making a movie (and Snyder's never been good as pacing his films, if you ask me). Then you look at the stuff he did change for the film, like the overall portrayal of the main characters, and it doesn't work either, because the whole point of Watchmen the comic was to deconstruct the very concept that superheroes should be inspiring, aspirational figures, which is something you can't do successfully when you're doing things like taking a single panel of fighting from the comic like this...

Spoiler: show

...and turning it into a full-fledged, badass slow-motion fight scene like this:

As for the Snyder cut of Justice League, it's somewhat better than the original version, but that's such a low bar to clear, and it's still not a very good movie, since the basic foundation of the film was already rotten in the first place, and there's so many other projects that deserved the money HBO threw at it more.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
the daytime fight with Superman is still bad even with a few things cleaned up
Yeah; I know some people said they thought the idea of an accidentally evil Superman was potentially interesting, but I'm so sick of Snyder's butchering of the character into a grim, mopey Batman wannabe by now that the idea has no interest for me; I thought the theatrical version of JL was going to correct that entirely, but it didn't, and the Snyder version only made it worse, since it lacks the scene at the beginning where Superman's being friendly to some kids, and, y'know, actling the way Superman should (it's one of the few things Whedon's version did better, Superlip nonwithstanding). We've been denied the Superman we deserve for too long, guys!

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:53 am 

I saw Sound of Metal. Which was a bit of a chore - not the movie itself, but rather the vieweing experience. Here, the most accessible way to watch it is to rent it through Cineplex Store. Which somehow doesn't support Playstation's browser or Xbox's Edge. So watching on the PC it is! But for some reason, this video in particular seemed to turn my PC into an industrial windmill, so it was hard to hear anythbing without cranking the sound so high that it risked waking up the baby. After doing some quick cleaning, it didn't sound so bad, so we could watch the movie.

That was a really good movie overall. The performances were really good (main character being my second favorite this year, maybe my favorite main actor performance), the sound was great once I solved (mostly) my PC problem, the movie really replicated what RUben felt as a newly deaf character - seeing all those people use ASL so quickly without subtitles was just intimidating, reminded me of a language course I took where the level was a bit higher than I was ready for after taking a break, you're lost seeing people around you converse mostly in that foreign language. I also loved the ending. My only disappointment (minor) was that metal actually didn't play a huge part in the movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:57 pm 

Minari - Steven Yeun stars in this very Oscar-y type of drama about an immigrant family trying to make it in America. I thought it was a good story albeit pretty straightforward. Very good acting, and I thought the directing and script had enough breadth that you really felt like you were just part of the whole family. It could've been longer even. I don't know how often I'd watch this again but it made its points well, the characters were well defined and it did what it set out to do.

Psycho Goreman - An absurdist goofy take on those old 80s-90s stories about kids getting involved in supernatural matters. Like Stranger Things on coke. Violent as fuck and just with this kind of 'fuck you' attitude, with no real morals. This just went all out and it was a fuck load of fun to watch after working all day.

Saint Maud - More A24 horror. This was a bit unassuming at first and you don't know what to expect, but as it goes on you start to see the unique darkness it has, and the slow-burn way it unfolds this story about a stuck up Christian nurse and the odd direction her life starts to go in. I can't really say a lot without spoiling this, but it never goes for the easy story decision and makes you wait in a brilliant way. The acting and cinematography were classy and really just let things play out well, almost like a much older movie. I found this to be a pretty fucking evil, malicious piece of film and I love it. Great stuff.

Willy's Wonderland - Nic Cage fights a bunch of demonic possessed animatronics in an old kids' restaurant. It's as campy as you would think. Cage has no dialogue which is disappointing. The side characters are goofy slasher stereotypes. But still it managed to be a fun enough movie to watch while drinking with friends (my roommate and one socially-distant via Zoom, btw).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:42 pm 

A movie where Nic Cage is the main actor and he's silent the whole time. What an odd choice. Does the movie at least attempt to give an in-universe reason for his muteness?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm 

Subrick wrote:
A movie where Nic Cage is the main actor and he's silent the whole time. What an odd choice. Does the movie at least attempt to give an in-universe reason for his muteness?

No, absolutely nothing. But it's a fun watch if you like dumb slasher movies.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 pm 

Hopefully his physical acting and facial expressions can make up the difference, which is probably what will happen considering it's Nicolas Cage.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:58 pm 

Oh he makes it work about as well as he can. I think it was going for some type of video game effect. My friends tell me it's a lot like 'Five Nights at Freddys.'

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:19 pm 

Yeah, that was how I heard of the movie too, that it's pretty much just Five Nights at Freddy's as a movie, but it also made me try to remember what the movie that came out recently that was a reimagining of some vintage kids show, which some persistent Googling made me figure out that it's The Banana Splits Movie. Now I must find it and watch it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Yeah, that was how I heard of the movie too, that it's pretty much just Five Nights at Freddy's as a movie, but it also made me try to remember what the movie that came out recently that was a reimagining of some vintage kids show, which some persistent Googling made me figure out that it's The Banana Splits Movie. Now I must find it and watch it.

It's roughly as graphic as your usual slasher movie, so definitely not a kid's show at all. It's trash horror like I'd find at Blockbuster or Netflix in the late '00s and early '10s.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 pm 

Both Willy's Wonderland and The Banana Splits movie were reviewed by Redlettermedia; the latter came off as the far more watchable of the two. I love Meet the Feebles, the puppet porno (seriously) Let My Puppets Come and I didn't even hate The Happytime Murders, but both of these movies just rub me the wrong way.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 pm 

There aren't many things I've hated as much as The Happytime Murders - that was one I legit would have walked out of if not for my friend's mom being there who didn't speak English and wouldn't have understood. I really thought that was as wretched as a movie could get outside of Shyamalan's The Visit really.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:46 am 

I thought Willy's Wonderland was really dumb, and really fucking fun, and I thought the choice of having a silent Nicolas Cage in it was a fantastic move. Would've been so easy to just let him "have a meltdown" and overact the shit out it, which is something I love about him, but having him silent was a fresh and surprising take on things.

I've not seen The Banana Splits Movie, but it looks like a blast for sure. Gotta check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 am 

To those that have seen Minari and The Father, where did you find them?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:16 am 

Empyreal wrote:
There aren't many things I've hated as much as The Happytime Murders - that was one I legit would have walked out of if not for my friend's mom being there who didn't speak English and wouldn't have understood. I really thought that was as wretched as a movie could get outside of Shyamalan's The Visit really.

I guess when you go in with rock bottom expectations, the movie simply being competently made (with spectacular puppets) and being in the EXTREMELY niche audience the movie was made for, you can look past its grievous flaws. Aside from Meet The Feebles, the only movie similar was The Fuzz, and THM was far better than that.

They just don't make rude puppet movies, and it's so sad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 am 

jimbies wrote:

I rented Minari for $20 on Prime... looking up The Father and it says that comes out on streaming on March 26.

Regarding THM... I don't know if I expected much but it was just one of those things that really incited anger in me. Other ones that did that included The Visit and recently Possessor. Just irrational rage and a greater than usual idea that I wasted my time. It also just had what I consider the worst types of comedy writing and jokes, just so fucking bad.

Willy's Wonderland, for whatever you can say, just struck me as your usual dumb popcorn horror flick. Nothing really out of the ordinary and it did look nice.

HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm 

jimbies wrote:

Caught this (The Father) in the theater. I'll be sure to note that sort of thing going forward.

So on that note, saw City of Lies at the local cinema over the weekend. I was familiar with the Notorious BIG murder investigation from reading LAbyrinth several years ago. There's a good chunk of the movie that takes place after the book was written, so I won't spoil some of the more recent developments.

Overall, it was a decent timewaster but not essential by any means. The movie jumps back and forth over a 20 year period, and I think it would have been more compelling to see it just play out chronologically.

On the plus, leaving aside his personal issues, it was nice to see Johnny Depp play a semi-normal human for once. Him and Forrest Whitaker had a pretty good chemistry (not a sexual thing, just as two guys who slowly get to enjoy each other's company).

Shea Whigham stole the show as an undercover cop whose actions set the movie in motion. His story would probably have made for a more compelling movie.

There's also an unintentionally hilarious part involving a Crip who picks the worst possible time to throw up his gang sign.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I did see the Snyder Cut Justice League. Long as fuck, unnecessarily so, and while it is a major improvement over the theatrical... it's still the same movie at the core. It provides a lot of context to actions and characters that were glaringly missing. Clearer motivations, less chinzy humor, no Russian family subplot, and a world that feels a little more populated than the almost completely isolated story of the theatrical one.

The biggest takeaway - Cyborg got fucked by Whedon's version. In the Synder cut, he's basically the most compelling one. The crew in general felt like they jived better - with 4 hours to cram all these characters in, half of which didn't have their own movies at the time of original release, they tried. No more CGI Superman lip, the "thirsty" scene is gone and another Martha / Lois scene is put back in (but it gets robbed of the emotion when the reveal happens after). 2017 Steppenwolf was a complete joke; Snyder Steppewolf actually felt like he could hold his own in a fight but was only a couple of notches higher in terms of depth. The Parademon underlings that were sort of the main driving force in the theatrical with the "fear" mechanic was apparently a Whedon thing, cause in the Snyder Cut they have no real significance except to locate the boxes.

One of the biggest issues to me was the music, which is distracting at best and annoying at worst, bar a few specific moments when it was actually good (like the Flash one at the final battle). Every time anything Amazonian-related (including WW) happened they had what I call "ethnic wailing" which quickly became laughably bad. The singing woman at the Icelandic village was supposed to be a serious moment but it was uncomfortably embarrassing - and it went on forever! Speaking of scenes going on too long, the dream sequence in the trailer with Joker. Talk about a scene that amounts to nothing now going on far too long. This movie has so much to set up for future films, and at the time maybe that was supposed to go somewhere, but Leto's Joker is at best tolerable in the Snyder Cut (and just barely; him in Suicide Squad was the worst).

Overuse of slow-motion (a Snyder staple), too much to cram, long-ass runtime, aspect ratio that didn't need to be 4:3, the daytime fight with Superman is still bad even with a few things cleaned up, and 2017 meme Batman became somewhat useful again. I still think him launching out of the car at the final battle to be point-and-laugh worthy. Some minor: Wonder Woman in civilian clothing falling from heights and landing perfectly without breaking her high-heels, Flash's intro rescue (it's in the trailer) taking too long and being there only to setup a future film, world still feels rather empty compared to earlier DCEU entries.

None of these DCEU movies that I've seen I'd rate higher than a 6, with most of them 5 or under, and I think this Cut I'd put around that 5 or 6 mark (maybe cause it shines compared to the theatrical, which was utter garbage). Now granted, the first mistake of this entire thing was choosing Snyder to helm this universe. Terrible choice, poor vision, etc. There's too much to cover in terms of that whole thing.
I started watching it. I am attempting to watch it in pieces. I just don't have the attention span to watch a 4+ hour movie. What I have seen so far I liked.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:44 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I started watching it. I am attempting to watch it in pieces. I just don't have the attention span to watch a 4+ hour movie. What I have seen so far I liked.

It's split into 4 chapters, isn't it?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:58 am 

Haven't seen the Snyder Cut yet, but the aspect ratio was correct and did need to be 4:3.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm 

[/quote]
It's split into 4 chapters, isn't it?[/quote]

I thought it was 8, but it didnt feel necessary for them. The last hour goes by so fast.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 am 

Is it just me or has the hype and aura around Takashi Miike cooled down a lot in recent years? I'm re-watching Dead Or Alive just now and while I still don't think it's very good, it's at least interesting enough to keep my attention.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:01 am 

Takashi Miike is weird to me. I love some of his work, don't care for the rest. My absolute favorite is 13 Assassins, one of my favorite samurai movies.

AndromedaVessel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:57 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Takashi Miike is weird to me. I love some of his work, don't care for the rest. My absolute favorite is 13 Assassins, one of my favorite samurai movies.

He's my favorite Japanese director because of how bonkers his movies can be and the amount of genres he dabbles in his work, like psychological horror, manga and game adaptations, original superhero films, yakuza, crime thrillers, fantasy, western, etc.

13 Assassins is pretty good and I should revisit it sometime, because I don't remember if the one I watched was the standard or the extended version. There's a bunch of his stuff I need or want to rewatch, like 13 Assasins, Audition, Ichi the Killer, the Dead or Alive trilogy, Izo... He has too much stuff, haha.

Of his recent films I think that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's adaptation was pretty lacking and dull, very restrained for what Miike is capable of doing, especially considering the source already acknowledges it is "bizarre", also because it only supposed to be the first half of a story that most likely a second part of we won't get. First Love is simple, but considering JJBA's adaptation and Laplace's Witch (haven't seen it but it didn't have good reviews either), it feels like a return to his mid-2000's style.

He's got a new movie coming out this year, The Great Yokai War: Guardians, it's a sequel to The Great Yokai War, which I haven't watched in probably over 10 years and is another one I need to revisit. (big image)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:53 am 

The Dead or Alive trilogy is on Amazon Prime, all uncut.

The only Miike I've seen is: Dead or Alive films, Ichi, Audition, Sukiaki Western Django and 13 Assassins, meaning I've seen roughly .00001% of his filmography. Of those movies, Audition was the only one I remember being impressed by.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 781, 782, 783, 784, 785  Next