Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm 

Recently rewatched Audition again for the first time in a decade or so. Really quite good and disturbing. It's horror that doesn't really use much horror tropes at all which is interesting - it just thrives based on how dark and eerie it is and how the character's motivations get him down this road. Well done stuff and doesn't pull punches.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:50 pm 

Takashi Miike is one of my favourite directors. I have watched twenty-seven of his movies so far. Some are difficult to find abroad. This is my list of his movies, ranked from best to worst: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls083206987/

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm 

And here be the red band trailer for The Suicide Squad.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm 

Violation - I had a pretty strange late night viewing of this the other night, a movie that even Shudder felt the need to throw a "graphic content" warning behind. This is a rape revenge film and shot beautifully, like some kind of art film. The acting is also very good and the story at least tries to make some kind of character to bolster the whole thing. Ultimately though this whole thing just felt like an exercise in pain and little else... it's good at showing the truths of this kind of culture, like Promising Young Woman, but it also is more needlessly gratuitous than that movie was. I found it artful on one hand but also just didn't know what else the point was except being graphic at the end of the day, so I'm not sure I could really ever recommend it.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 am 

Saw Promising Young Woman. I liked it. I feel the movie played a lot with expectations; though I saw coming the "twist" a mile away,
Spoiler: show
the boyfriend being on the video, I mean
. The scene with the dean was especially great.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:23 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I did see the Snyder Cut Justice League. Long as fuck, unnecessarily so, and while it is a major improvement over the theatrical... it's still the same movie at the core. It provides a lot of context to actions and characters that were glaringly missing. Clearer motivations, less chinzy humor, no Russian family subplot, and a world that feels a little more populated than the almost completely isolated story of the theatrical one.

Coming from the odd position of seeing ZSJL before the Josstice League, I got to say that I found the latter to be infinitely superior (even though I liked the gloomy atmosphere and Steppenwolf's design in the Snyderverse better); the fact that Whedon managed to tell a more compelling story (I'll take actual character arcs over a fancy slow motion rendition of the "daddy never came to my ball game" cliché any day) in two hours than Snyder in four, especially given the circumstances, is truly remarkable in my eyes.

...All of which is to say that both are firmly in the "inoffensive and forgettable meh" category, as is the majority of the Marvel films I've seen.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 am 

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, and a quick browse of my letterboxd account says I've watched 16 films since my last post. I won't go through all 16 films I've watched, but I will mention a few notable things:

White Eye is one of the best live action short films I've seen in a while. As a short film director/producer myself, I was blown away by the execution of this film. The fact that the entire 20 minutes is a single take with no cuts, with a lot of moving pieces, is a marvel. It's such a simple premise for a film. I think back to pitching different "simple" ideas to groups of people, and also having ideas pitched to me, and this is one of those things that I'd imagine started with a single thought: Guy sees his stolen bike tied to a post and tries to get it back. Chain-reaction ensues. 10/10 short film right here.

Speaking of short films, the short animated film "Opera" might be the best animated short I've EVER seen. I used to say The Dam Keeper was my favourite, due to its emotional weight, but this film is absolutely fascinating. I have watched it about 9 times already, and will continue to view it over and over. There is so much going on, so much to look at. I would really love to see this in an actual theatre on a huge screen. The score is super impressive, as well.

Minari is a wonderful film. So subtle, gentle and tender. Incredible acting, looks amazing from a cinematography angle. I really enjoy a simple, character and dialogue driven drama, and this is one of the best of the last few years. I have no idea how the little boy didn't get nominated for an Oscar. This movie deserves all the praise it gets.

But in conclusion: SEE THE FILM OPERA IF AND WHEN YOU CAN.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:35 am 

jimbies wrote:
Speaking of short films, the short animated film "Opera" might be the best animated short I've EVER seen. I used to say The Dam Keeper was my favourite, due to its emotional weight, but this film is absolutely fascinating. I have watched it about 9 times already, and will continue to view it over and over. There is so much going on, so much to look at. I would really love to see this in an actual theatre on a huge screen. The score is super impressive, as well.

This looks dope as hell - anywhere I can watch it, or is it still film festing at the moment?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 am 

Razakel wrote:
jimbies wrote:

This looks dope as hell - anywhere I can watch it, or is it still film festing at the moment?

Check your PMs :wink:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 am 

jimbies wrote:
Razakel wrote:
jimbies wrote:

Check your PMs :wink:

You still passin' out links to this?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 pm 

I’d like a link to that Opera film too.

On a different note, since this movie just came back to my memory earlier today, I must ask: Is there any movie more aggressively early-2000s than Queen of the Damned? The fucking plot of the movie is that Lestat is the singer of a nu metal band. I can't think of anything more of-the-time than that.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I’d like a link to that Opera film too.

On a different note, since this movie just came back to my memory earlier today, I must ask: Is there any movie more aggressively early-2000s than Queen of the Damned? The fucking plot of the movie is that Lestat is the singer of a nu metal band. I can't think of anything more of-the-time than that.

I agree but I'd say I'd say Blade I and II are even "more aggressively early-2000s" than Queen of the Damned. Not by a wide margin though. Maybe the Matrix too.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm 

I'm rewatching Icarus for the first time in a while, and it is really hitting me just how fucking massive this whole doping scandal is. This enormous, worldwide scheme is just about cheating at games.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 pm 

Grrrr, lost track of this thread again for a few weeks.

The Death of Dick Long - Guy with embarrassing name suffers even more embarrassing injury. His buddies drop him outside the ER and spend the next day hoping they don't get in trouble. Amusing first half, then kind of overstays its welcome. 5 / 10

Freaky - The gimmick of Vince Vaughn acting like a teenage girl ends up being enough for some decent entertainment. Not as good as Happy Death Day (same director) but probably slightly better than the sequel. 6.5 / 10

Spontaneous - High school students begin exploding for no apparent reason. At first I hoped this would deliver the same kind of bloody / comedic fun as Freaky. It started losing me pretty early though. Because the threat was completely random and unexplainable, the main character had no way to fight it. So instead we just watch her have a bland romance with a classmate.

Some other gripes I had:
Driving home the theme ("Life isn't fair, you could die at any moment, enjoy the time you have") with zero subtlety
At least 2 deaths that were "random" in the movie's universe but which I saw coming a mile away
Scenes that reminded me of movies or TV shows I liked better (One seemed inspired by "I love my dead gay son" from Heathers, another was similar to "I broke the dam" from South Park)

OK, I whined more than I intended to about this. I only gave it 4 / 10 but its IMDB average is 6.5, so if you have Amazon Prime and 100 free minutes you might like it more than I did.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:36 am 

We watched "Enemy of the State" last night, I hadn't seen it for ages - have any of those shaky-digital-camera movies aged well at all ? Have any of them been re-mastered for want of a better term, so that they look good again ? The story is decent, if a bit Tom Clancy, good cast, decent action - but the actual 'film' aspect of it was awful to look at in some places.

By contrast we put on the first 40mins of Rocky IV after it EotS finished, and the difference was astonishing - story/dialogue/oceans of baby oil aside, but the finish & quality of the visuals stands up really well by contrast with the more modern film.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am 

Godzilla v Kong

People will hate this movie (mostly due to the plot, I'd say), but I enjoyed it. This was a better Kong movie than 2017's Skull Island was, and probably on par with King of the Monsters. If you're able to suspend belief for 100 minutes, I recommend watching it. Hopefully there's more of these because there's plenty of potential.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:30 am 

Nobody - Surprised no one here's talked about this yet, given all the love for BB and BCS as well as the John Wick/Taken movies. Yup, it's yet another entry in the "late-middle aged man does ridiculous action" genre except the twist here is that there's no twist. It's refreshingly straightforward and while it aims low, it hits its mark. The script is actually pretty generic and cliche, and in the hands of a veteran director the movie might've been a miss, but Hardcore Henry director Ilya Naishuller brought enough ingenuity and energy to make it worthwhile.

I will say that after Gangs of London and Banshee the action didn't bowl me over the way it might've before, but it's perfectly competent and the supporting cast, a who's who of actors that could've been legends but missed the boat for various reasons, sealed the deal for me. Jesus Christ does Michael Ironside look unhealthy though. Recommended.

Although it does have digital buckets of terrible-looking CGI blood, so if that's a deal breaker you're SOL.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 pm 

What are you guys watching Gangs of London on?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:07 am 

It airs on AMC. Not sure if it's cut for time/content. You can also find it on sketchy streaming/torrent sites easily, which was the only place it was available outside the UK for a good while.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 am 

Watched Nomadland to see what the fuss is about. It's really good. It moves at a decent pace without dwelling too long, it sheds a very intimate light into a different (sometimes forced) lifestyle, has great characters and awesome acting. The cinematography is just beautiful, awesome shots of various places. And it has even a superb score.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:09 am 

The Power - New thriller set in the 70s in a hospital when they have to shut down the power to conserve energy. New girl comes for the night shift and shit gets crazy. I liked the setting and ambiance of this, and the first few acts have some good scares. The story is kind of all over the place but not bad exactly. The ending gets kind of heavy handed, but it gets the point across and overall I liked this alright.

Because of Charley - Saw this at the Florida Film Fest. It's about a mixed-race family stuck in a house during Hurricane Charley in 04, which I remember living through in the same area as the movie was set. This is a very talky drama and it comes off natural, with the characters growing on you the more the movie goes on. A few parts might be slightly sappy but overall I did get the feel that this was genuine as opposed to laying it on too thick. It's slightly soap opera-y but it has a great Floridian ambiance and overall I liked it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:33 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Watched Nomadland to see what the fuss is about. It's really good. It moves at a decent pace without dwelling too long, it sheds a very intimate light into a different (sometimes forced) lifestyle, has great characters and awesome acting. The cinematography is just beautiful, awesome shots of various places. And it has even a superb score.

I agree, it was really really good. I loved all the same things about it you did. I am predicting it will take home the big one on Sunday night, but it wouldn't be my first pick.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 am 

jimbies wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

I agree, it was really really good. I loved all the same things about it you did. I am predicting it will take home the big one on Sunday night, but it wouldn't be my first pick.

What would it be? In the ones nominated (that I've seen) it was my favorite, but I'm still not over the fact that they didn't nominate Da 5 Blood...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 781, 782, 783, 784, 785