Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 pm 

Like 2% of my overall sports interest is dedicated to basketball, and it's been hard to give a shit about the Bulls since Rose fell apart and Butler went away, but even I'm pulling for Toronto just because I like it when other teams win. It was really exciting when the Curry era took off and Golden State finally got good, but it's been five years in a row now so I'm officially bored of their new dynasty.

Plus I'd just find it incredibly lulzy if Canada finally won another championship and it wasn't the Stanley Cup.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 am 

The Mariners are the worst team in baseball, and it's not close. That this... THING didn't even surprise me speaks volumes. This defense is impossibly bad.

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/b3b ... 7vOtVOMNEM

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:28 pm 

Kyle Lowry falls onto courtside spectators while chasing loose ball, some guy slaps/shoves Lowry’s shoulder. Turns out, guy is on the Warriors’ board of executives :lol:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... ?cmpid=rss
I mean yeah, it’s pretty weak sauce, but still. When part-owners of the team behave that way, it’s hard to fathom anyone else in the world outside Oakland who’s even marginally interested in basketball, would not support the Raptors in this series!

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm 

Warriors looked like a JV team with two of their big stars not suited up yesterday. With Durant gone, it changes the equasion considerably in Toronto's favor, but with Durant AND Thompson gone, it basically re-writes the equasion in Toronto's favor.

If one (or both) players do not return to the lineup by the next game, then Toronto will win this series easily- regardless of who supports the Raptors or who does not.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm 

English Rugby League One approves relocating the Hempstead Stags - to of all places: Ottawa, Ontario! :eek: https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/govern ... 1.23827849

That is so damn cool! Starting in 2020 (maybe ‘21), Ottawans can pretty much experience time travel at Frank Clair Stadium. In the same weekend, at the same place, we can see modern Canadian football and rugby league, which is basically embryonic Canadian football pre-1905. I am massively stoked over this!!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 am 

Canadian politeness goes so far you let the Warriors win, that's so sweet of you.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm 

NBA admits foul should have been called for Marc Gasol being knocked down with :49 left - in what ended up as a one-point game! https://preview.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nh ... vi-AACMoEs
:grr: The Larry O’Brien Trophy should already be parading down the streets of Toronto. This is no time for Canadian politeness. We got bullshitted (bullshat?)

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

There were controversial calls on both sides in that game. The one where they said, I think it was Looney but I cant remember who, touched the rim on an assist even though the replay showed he didn't- that cost the Warriors a critical basket in that last minute.

Plus, Draymond Green seems to always get fouls called against him simply because, well, he's Draymond Green.
You could probably run up to Green and tackle him to the ground from behind and then commence rabbit punching him, and they'd probably call the technical foul on Green, because they'll say he provoked the guy to tackle and punch him, or something.
Officials just don't like him. He loudly protests too many calls, so that's probably why.

I've already seen a couple times in this series where Green got knocked on his ass and still got the foul called against him- despite the fact that he was the one who got knocked down.

Either way, the Raptors are clearly the better team, and even if they don't win tonight (as they should) I can't honestly envision a scenario where they don't win game 7 handily, at home.
It'd be kind of cool to win it in front of their home fans and home country.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 pm 

Great win by the Raptors!

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:19 am 

Yeah, it was indeed.
I'm kind of stoked for Canada, and for their fans, even though as a former Bay Area native, I gotta admit I was actually rooting for Golden State. When Thompson went down though, that was kind of the nail in the coffin for them.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:25 pm 

In Sweden rugby isn't a big thing - its hardly a thing at all. I discovered the first a couple of world cups ago but never got into anything other than national team rugby (and usually only around the world cup). Recently You Tube has recommended me HSBC World Rugby Women's Sevens Series and I quite like it. Fast paced and really short matches but it the tournament just keeps going throughout the day so I can watch whenever I have some time over.

I have no idea what the quality is like, I haven't seen enough rugby to be able to judge that. How are these teams compared to rugby union or rugby league national teams? And how is women's rugby coming along in general?

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:14 pm 

InnesI wrote:
In Sweden rugby isn't a big thing - its hardly a thing at all. I discovered the first a couple of world cups ago but never got into anything other than national team rugby (and usually only around the world cup). Recently You Tube has recommended me HSBC World Rugby Women's Sevens Series and I quite like it. Fast paced and really short matches but it the tournament just keeps going throughout the day so I can watch whenever I have some time over.

I have no idea what the quality is like, I haven't seen enough rugby to be able to judge that. How are these teams compared to rugby union or rugby league national teams? And how is women's rugby coming along in general?

My understanding is that Sevens teams can play by either Union or League rules. So basically there are four different games called rugby: 15-player Union, 7-player Union, 13-player League or 7-player League.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
My understanding is that Sevens teams can play by either Union or League rules. So basically there are four different games called rugby: 15-player Union, 7-player Union, 13-player League or 7-player League.

Nice!

From the little I've seen I prefer 15-player Rugby Union style matches but Rugby in general is a very spectator friendly sport. Lots of excitement, hard hits, fast pace and tactics. I'm a little bit surprised it is so condensed to not that many nations playing it (or at least being good at it). Granted it is huge in the commonwealth and some other countries but very much non-existing in many other parts. Seems like a game that can be played in almost any climate as well and not, like ice hockey, being dependent on a rink (and usually countries that have colder winters in general for there to be enough interest in a national league).

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm 

Some of that could be due to Rugby Union’s past rigid adherence to its amateur roots - there was no professional Rugby Union until 1995. So the sport became pigeonholed as one for the connoisseur. Kids from the slums couldn’t aspire to play their way out of poverty like they could with soccer. (Rugby League has paid its players for well over 100 years, and that was even the reason for the split in the sport back then, but if people didn’t know that, League probably got less popular exposure just by association with Union.)
Other than that, I fully agree. There’s no reason why one sport born in early-mid 19th century England should have captured Europe’s (and everyone else’s) attention, while the other has only managed to be a distant second sport in Romania, Italy and France; and the obsession of a few Pacific islands.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 pm 

Oh hell yes! :eek: MLB has allowed the mostly-ignored Tampa Bays Rays to “explore the possibility” of splitting seasons between TB and Montreal. Which would hopefully lead to a full permanent relocation: https://montrealgazette.com/sports/base ... ntreal/amp

Now the jackass mayor of St Petersburg, Fla might stubbornly hold this up, because the Rays have a lease agreement with the city at that godawful, bizarrely-designed and distantly-located Tropicana Field until 2027. But come on - this same administration has consistently dragged its feet on building something new and better for the Rays in the Tampa area, and we’re expected to believe te mayor’s now “committed to baseball in Tampa Bay for generations to come”?
Me arse! Step aside! MLB = Montreal Loves Baseball

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 pm 

I'm not sure MLB would work in Montreal. After all, the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington only one and a half decade ago because attendance figures were abysmal. I don't see why that would be different fifteen years later. Sure, maybe there would be bigger crowds in the first few years because it's something new but the same old problems would come back haunting the franchise after half a decade or so. The idea to split seasons between Saint Petersburg and Montreal is also ridiculous. Keep the team in Florida or move it to Quebec but splitting seasons is a stupid idea in the first place. Plus, the team would probably play in the Olympic Stadium right now which is one of the ugliest stadiums I have ever set foot in and looks like a Soviet fallout shelter. Instead of bringing back ideas that already didn't work in the past, Montreal could maybe try to get ready for an expansion spot in the NBA one day. There were thousands of people cheering for the Raptors in Montreal and considering the fact that team is from Toronto, it probably means the city is ready for professional basketball.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 am 

Yeah, the whole "split home" thing is sure to fail, I think. Some ex-MLB'ers were talking on the Yankee broadcast about moving their families three times a year (Off season, spring training, regular season) and pulling their kids in and out of three schools in a year. I don't think many players would want to do that an extra time. And that's if they decide to split the season in half (I'm guessing they would actually have it all year round, though. Example, 7 home games in Tampa, 7 game road trip of 4 in New York, 3 in Boston, 7 home games in Montreal). It just feels stupid. Two of the biggest problems in Tampa are how terrible Tropicana Field is, and that it's located in the middle of nowhere. Maybe moving the team directly into Tampa OR Orlando would be a better option? If it was in Orlando, you may get a lot more tourists coming to baseball games, as well, packaging seeing their favourite team along with a trip to Disney?

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm 

Babe Ruth vs Ted Williams. Ruth hit against no middle relief pitcher, no bullpen, the same 7 teams, no blacks or latin players which is 40% of baseball today. You bring Mike Trout to that era and he would be banned. You bring Ruth here today he is a 250 avg hitter, probably better pitcher than hitter.

Williams on the other flip side of the coin. Ted Williams was and is the greatest hitter ever. What would his stats have been had he not fought in 2 wars? Maybe 750 bleeping home runs?

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:25 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Babe Ruth vs Ted Williams. Ruth hit against no middle relief pitcher, no bullpen, the same 7 teams, no blacks or latin players which is 40% of baseball today. You bring Mike Trout to that era and he would be banned. You bring Ruth here today he is a 250 avg hitter, probably better pitcher than hitter.

Williams on the other flip side of the coin. Ted Williams was and is the greatest hitter ever. What would his stats have been had he not fought in 2 wars? Maybe 750 bleeping home runs?

Ruth would struggle to hit above 100 if he magically was brought here today imo. Pitchers threw in the mid 80s back then, and I doubt there off speed pitches were very impressive. Pitching today is ridiculous.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126