Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:02 pm 

Oh hell yeaah! :thumbsup: The world’s all-time greatest dynasty in any sport at any level continues, as my alma mater Carleton Ravens win the McGee Trophy - for Canadian University men’s basketball championship - for the 15th time in the last 18 years!!
https://globalnews.ca/news/6648889/carl ... s-dal/amp/

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:23 pm 

Not sure how many here will care, but the XFL has thrown in the towel, laying off all employees and suspending all operations with no plans for a season in 2021.

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/290 ... eturn-2021

Regardless of the league's premature end due to the pandemic, whodathunk that the new XFL would actually be even more of a failure than the original XFL?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:45 pm 

That’s sad. The XFL had some cool innovations, and the quality of play seemed to be picking up week to week.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:14 pm 

Colby Cave of the Edmonton Oilers passed away this morning. He had been in the hospital all week due to a brain bleed. Really sad stuff. He was only 25.

As far as the XFL is concerned, I can't really justify calling it a failure. It was simply the most poorly timed inaugural season of all time.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:18 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Colby Cave of the Edmonton Oilers passed away this morning. He had been in the hospital all week due to a brain bleed. Really sad stuff. He was only 25.

I had been following his progress since he was placed in an MIC, and now seeing this...absolutely terrible news. That kid showed a lot of promise and seemed to be a joy amongst his teammates. I hope his family and friends can find solace.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 pm 

German handball leagues were cancelled. Men's handball league was set as finished and the current leaders of the league table were named champions. Women's handball league was set as annulled and the current leaders of the league table have won nothing. In other news the head of the German handball association will be sleeping on the couch the next few years.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:04 am 

I guess Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock are strong believers in "We're taking our guy, and we don't give a fuck where others have him rated." Not sure I'm a fan.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:40 am 

What do the American football fans here think of Gronkowski shipping off to Tampa to play with Brady again? I personally have no real dog in the fight since I don't watch football, but as a native New Englander it's been pretty hilarious seeing diehard Patriots freaks go apeshit over this and Brady leaving.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 pm 

Just to add to the gigantic shitshow that has been UFC 249, prelim fighter Jacare Souza and two of his cornermen tested positive for Covid and got pulled from the card. UFC is still gonna do the show, however.

https://www.espn.com/mma/ufc/story/_/id ... oronavirus

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:14 pm 

Three Canadian sports leagues have sought financial assistance from the government: the upstarts Premier League (soccer) and Elite Basketball League; and even the long-established Canadian Football League. Of the three, the CFL is talking the most doom-n-gloom, while the CEBL is phrasing it like a short-term loan they expect to recover from, and the CPL have been pretty quiet about the request.
Still, when you add in the Stags, who are supposed to join the transatlantic Rugby League One, Ottawa could lose four sports teams - three of them before they ever take the field.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 am 

So I was watching auto racing tonight because, well, it's a sport (sort of anyway) and because it happened to be "what was on."

You had a guy leading the race with two laps to the finish when a caution comes out. Instead of cruising to an easy win, he goes to pit road for fresh tires, and basically takes himself out of the race and hands the victory to fucking Jerk Keslowski on a silver platter.

WHY Chase Elliot, WHY???
Stupid, stupid, stupid decision. He just cost himself the race! That would be like in baseball, intentionally walking in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th inning- that's how dumb that was.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130