Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalSinger28
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 pm 

Hello

Anyone in here who listen to the punk god GG Allin?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:03 pm 

He is a terrible human being who should be forgotten, so no.

DividerOfShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:12 pm 

rexxz wrote:
He is a terrible human being who should be forgotten, so no.

This. I know some people really like him because he was so over the top and wanted rock to be "dangerous", but in my eyes, he was nothing more than a stupid moron. To have the audacity to shit all over the stage and throw that stuff over your fans is so incredibly idiotic.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 pm 

The only punk artist that I really like. Too bad that most people only know him by his coprophagia business, because he have some awesome songs

Youtube: show

doomicus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:26 pm 

Love GG Allin for differing reasons. His debut LP Always Was, Is and Always Shall Be and the record he did with ANTiSEEN, Murder Junkies, are the highlights of his career in my opinion. Quite a bit of quality in his acoustic country forrays as well, especially when he's at his most sincere and introspective.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 pm 

I like GG Allin. He was an interesting character and his performances were like weird social experiments. I have most of his live DVDs and CDs.

There is some good music to be found (although I'm not fond of his country). If you are new, check these out:

You Give Love a Bad Name is good sleaze.
Freaks, Faggots, Drunks and Junkies gets a bit rougher, but it was his favorite album.
Murder Junkies (w/ Antiseen) was his best, in my opinion. It is very reminiscent of sludge metal and is very pissed off.
Brutality and Bloodshed for all is probably his most accessible album. It sounds like crossover.

Also check out Expose Yourself (a collection of singles) which has 3 awesome punk songs:
Expose Yourself to Kids, Gypsy Motherfucker, and Hangin' Out With Jim.

I also have a collection of his memoirs called "My Prison Walls". It's evident in this book that he was a mediocre visual artist, however.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:47 am 

From what I remember from way back when his punk oriented music was kinda mediocre but I might be wrong here since I haven't checked it out in detail for years now and I've grown a lot music wise since then. Back at the same time I loved his country music although that could have been equally for the lyrical content. I'm planning on checking him out again, and this is not just empty posturing from my side but I was planning on checking out that documentary from 93 I think, it's on the YouTubez last time I checked at least either way.
Regarding the man himself he is a total piece of shit, but I got to give him credit for giving "he fucking went there" an entire new layer of meaning. But I guess for anyone who was involved with him in any capacity thought he was a major pain in the ass.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:14 am 

His collaborations with Antiseen and The Murder Junkies are definitely his best work but his debut record is pretty fun too. That said, the whole "I'm dangerous" aesthetic gets tiring after a while. Like yeah, the fact that he actually lived it puts him above most other types like that but it still feels like he has nothing else of substance to say.

One other thing I've always wondered: What bands opened for GG Allin? Did he ever open for anybody? There's so much fixation on the fecal aspects that the actual logistics of his shows seem to go largely undiscussed.

MetalSinger28
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:56 pm 

I guess he wanted to be hated? I have a tshirt of his and sometimes in summer when im wearing it people are shouting pedo supporter at me. I like his music with the jabbers more. He should of stayed in that band. The jabbers still plays?

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:16 pm 

Yes he wanted to be hated and the more people hated him the better he felt from what I got out of researching his character. Twisted is spot on with the description of GG there, outside of him being who he was there was little to nothing else of any value. He just wanted to create as much havoc as possible and piss off as many people as possible.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm 

Barely heard of this man. Need to check out his stuff. Interesting.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 pm 

He was Punk rock's version of Seth Putnam (Anal Cunt guy.) He just lived for being a basic douche bag and trolling people, pissing people off. Or, pushing the envelope of good taste, then crying "Whaaa whaaa censorship" when people had enough of his bullshit. His music was okay- neither great nor really bad. I don't have a lot of respect for him as a person but then again, that's probably exactly what he wanted.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm 

MetalSinger28 wrote:
I guess he wanted to be hated? I have a tshirt of his and sometimes in summer when im wearing it people are shouting pedo supporter at me. I like his music with the jabbers more. He should of stayed in that band. The jabbers still plays?

It should be awesome to live in place where a lot of people listens to Expose Yourself to Kids

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:54 pm 

I'm very much neutral when it comes to this fellow , minus his most outrageous acts of course ...

Then again I can't condemn him all that much since he never caused me any harm and there were/are much worse people out there than him .

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm 

Check out the Hated documentary describing the life he and his brother had with their father, then go on Youtube and look at the life of Varg Vikernes' kids. Identical. Shed in the middle of nowhere, doomsday prepper psycho father with extreme ideology, homeschooled by said father. Results likely also to be identical.

Lydster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am 

He could write a catchy tune. I haven’t listened to any of his music in over ten years but still sometimes find myself singing Live Fast Die Fast and Livin’ Like An Animal around the house... and for that he gets my respect.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 pm 

He's a true piece of shit.

I live in the same town as his brother, who regularly hosts "yard sales" where he lets you into his house and basically bid on anything. There was all kinds of GG merch and whatnot, but also all these correspondence letters with serial killers. One was from Henry Lee Lucas, and had a kind of brown spittle stain on it. I've got a pretty strong stomach with that kind of stuff, but it skeeved me out pretty quick. If he's the nicer, saner Allin brother, I can't imagine what a nightmare GG was.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:56 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
One other thing I've always wondered: What bands opened for GG Allin? Did he ever open for anybody? There's so much fixation on the fecal aspects that the actual logistics of his shows seem to go largely undiscussed.

Early in his career he opened for bigger acts. I know there was sort of an infamous show in Chicago where he opened for the Volcano Suns and Squirrel Bait (the latter were just teenagers) where jerked off on stage (or something like that) and shoved the mic up his ass (and the headliners had to use it).

Reply to topic