Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
discipleofdzoavits
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 am 

YES. I KNOW THAT PIERCE THE VEIL IS NOT A METAL BAND.
I am a metalhead. I have a one man death metal band. I spend my days listening to death, funeral doom, black, thrash, etc etc etc. However, a band I also love is Pierce the Veil. I don't listen to any other emocore mallcore whatever you want to call it bands but Pierce the Veil is special. They have some genuinely interesting complex riffing, their first album, A Flair For The Dramatic is an extremely beautiful and theatrical piece of music, they don't employ useless breakdowns when it's unnecessary, and the members are extremely talented. I've also noticed some very metal inspired musicianship (for example, the song Texas is Forever).

The reason I'm making this post is because I'm curious what your opinions on this band are. Yes I know the vocals are high pitched for a dude, and whiny to some people. I've heard it before. But truly, what do you think about this band, ignoring the garbage obsessive fangirl fanbase? Thanks for any time you take to leave a reply!

Some songs to listen to if you haven't really heard PTV before:
- The Boy Who Could Fly (some metal-ish riffing here)
- I'd Rather Die Than Be Famous
- Drella
- Bulls in the Bronx (really cool classical guitar section here)
- Texas is Forever
- Sambuka

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:10 am 

It's fine to discuss non-metal bands - just post it in the non-metal forums, like the Tavern here.

Collarbones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:32 pm 

It's ok to like non-metal bands! I'm not a fan of pierce the veil but I always like meeting other people that listen to a lot of extreme metal and then have non-metal bands they're passionate about too.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:33 am 

Really good musicians and often some pretty fun guitarwork, however, it's not exactly my style of music. If I had to listen to that style I'd probably choose them over bands like Falling in Reverse or blessthefall.

My problem isn't also the high pitched vocals, just more how they (and a lot of bands like them) perform them. They just don't have the quality in that range like Dance Gavin Dance or Circa Survive, who feature that kind of singing and do it incredibly well.

Reply to topic