Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ntnhon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am 

09/08/2019 update:
More than 3 years after the original version, since the beginning of 2019 I actively maintain and improve the app.

The app also receives amazing supports, almost 150 ratings overall, 4.9/5 overall and 5/5 in US store. This is no big deal comparing to many popular apps out there but it is far significant than nothing back to 2016.

As always the app is free with no ads.

I look forward to your feature suggestions.

Original post:
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce you a new MA interface on iOS.

It's all FREE and NO ADs. Share and rate it if you find it's helpful.

Download on App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1074038930
Demo video: https://www.facebook.com/MetalArchivesIOSApp/videos/vb.1552557695068143/1556157781374801

Regards.

Last edited by ntnhon on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:09 pm 

My iPod Touch is too old to update to the required iOS 8. :\

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Famgot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm 

Only Android is real.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

AboveTheThrone
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Only Android is real.

Thank you.

And are people seriously developing apps for MA without telling anyone? Lolwut?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 pm 

I'm pretty sure someone made a droid one like 5 years ago. I remember having it on mine before I saw the error of my ways and got an iPhone.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Only Android is real.

theposega wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone made a droid one like 5 years ago. I remember having it on mine before I saw the error of my ways and got an iPhone.

Yeah well, that app wasn't that good, and the developer gave up on it.

Hopefully this one is better, I don't have an iPhone to test but I'm sure people find it useful.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah well, that [old Android] app wasn't that good, and the developer gave up on it.

Hopefully this one is better, I don't have an iPhone to test but I'm sure people find it useful.

Yeah this is the exact boat I'm in. Hopefully this one is good, but I'll never be able to try for myself. I know one of our mods has been working on a mobile app on and off for a while now but he keeps getting pulled away by real life. Hopefully he can finish it someday so I can experience the site on my phone without it being a pain in the ass.

Rosenthorn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:49 am 

Well, it works... It's essentially just the search function and a list of all bands (and the news from the homepage).

Searching for a band/music genre/etc leads to a list of the relevant info. If the search is by album or song, clicking on a result will give toe option to go to either the band page or the album page. Clicking on a band results in being taken to the band's entry, with all the basic info being shown in a pretty sensible list fashion. The first negative for me is that the band's bio is written in a glaring serif font and isn't collapsible. The collapsible thing becomes a major issue if the bio is extensive, because sometimes if you click on the collapsible menu for logo/band picture it returns you to the top of the page, and you have to scroll back down to the info you want to look at. All the other collapsible menus (discography, reviews, similar artists, related links) don't usually have this problem (but occasionally do).

Clicking on any of a band's discography brings up a similar menu, with all info displayed in a top-down list and collapsible menus. There seems to be some issue with scrolling here as well, when a collapsible menu is clicked on, the info scrolls to the top of the screen (not the top of the readable screen, the first part is obscured by the app). A definite highlight of the app is the way reviews are displayed, they are color coded based on the score given (green = good, yellow = okay, red = bad) and when you click on one, it pops up (although the popup box is a bit small, and the text is again in that serif font).

A few things to note: There is no way to log into the app. There is no search function for artists, but artist pages are accessible via their bands/discography. Label pages are inaccessible, as are MA user profiles. The news tab of the app provides review-type popups displaying the info.

Positives:
+Simple, elegant UI
+Easy to find info
+Well displayed reviews
+No crashes noted

Negatives:
-Occasional use of ugly serif font
-Review/news popup box is a bit small
-Not as extensive info as main site
-Scrolling issues
-No search option by artist, despite artist pages being available
-Artist/Band info should be collapsible

Using IOS version 8.1.1

Obey the dolphin!

ntnhon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
My iPod Touch is too old to update to the required iOS 8. :\

Sorry about that, I used some libraries that requires 8.0.

Metantoine wrote:
Only Android is real.

Android is a great OS, sadly I didn't have time to learn it. Hopefully someday.

AboveTheThrone wrote:
And are people seriously developing apps for MA without telling anyone? Lolwut?

Actually I asked them (in privated message on facebook) before getting my hands on coding.

theposega wrote:

I hear about that but I didn't have chance to have a look at it. It's so regretful that the developer gave up on it.

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah well, that app wasn't that good, and the developer gave up on it.

Thank you, I hope so.

BastardHead wrote:

Yeah this is the exact boat I'm in. Hopefully this one is good, but I'll never be able to try for myself. I know one of our mods has been working on a mobile app on and off for a while now but he keeps getting pulled away by real life. Hopefully he can finish it someday so I can experience the site on my phone without it being a pain in the ass.

By reading thread asking for apps, I got to know that Alhadis took the charge of making the "responsive design" of MA which makes the site compatible with all screen sizes. But somehow he didn't have time to finish it. If he could finish his work in someday, good news for all of us.

ntnhon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:27 pm 

Rosenthorn wrote:
Positives:
+Simple, elegant UI
+Easy to find info
+Well displayed reviews
+No crashes noted

Negatives:
-Occasional use of ugly serif font
-Review/news popup box is a bit small
-Not as extensive info as main site
-Scrolling issues
-No search option by artist, despite artist pages being available
-Artist/Band info should be collapsible

Using IOS version 8.1.1

I appreciate your review and thank you for it :)
Let's me be clear. Here I don't tend to replicate the whole MA system which is enormous and out of my capacities. I wanted to create an app that facilitates the "frequently used tasks": looking for infos (bands, releases, artists, labels).

I know that the scrolling issues persist on bands with enrich details, I'll fix it on the next release. About the ugly font, I agree with you, that's because this is the default font by webview, I'll find a way to make the coherence in displaying texts.

Also, I'll add the search option by artist and label.

Thank you again for your words.

ntnhon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:39 am 

The app is still alive and growing up!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:20 pm 

ntnhon wrote:
09/09/2019 update:

The new version now travels through time. :eek:

ntnhon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:50 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
ntnhon wrote:
09/09/2019 update:

The new version now travels through time. :eek:

As I was typing the date I was considering between American and non-American way and it results in this error :D

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:23 pm 

Already gave you 5 stars and review at Appstore for iOS version, unlimited thanks to you guy! Beside one the updates, maybe 2 months ago, that started to crash the application (which however you fixed very quickly!) the soft has run smoothly since the first time I download it. A truly gift!

Reply to topic