Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:49 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Hunt the Night, Bushiden, and Cyber Shadow are definitely my top 3 most anticipated games right now. But my wishlist on steam is just stupid. Almost at 300 games I think. It could use a small cull, but most of them I'm still keyed in on.

Bushiden looks a little generic to my eyes. The art looks like Final Fury.

Cyber Shadow looks like some kind of Ninja Gaiden in the world of Contra.

You're right about the backlog of video games. I've withstood the temptation to buy Ghost of Tsushima so far.

Blasphemous - With my job being as shitty as it is and all the hours blah blah blah, I don't feel nearly as guilty about looking at a walkthrough if I find myself trapped with nowhere to go. Fuck it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:18 am 

I definitely had no shame about checking a walkthrough in this case, more just frustrated that I was so clueless about where I needed to pick up the thread on my own save. Finally realized it was the Cistern area that I haven't fully cleared yet. My gamefile says I'm about 45% through. It felt really good to get "back on track" in Blasphemous.

RE Bushiden + Cyber Shadow: I mean a lot of it is just the fact that I'm a total freakazoid for 2D ninja games in the modern era. But those two do look special to me. Bushiden is the bigger question mark of the two, but the footage that came out back around March of this year sold me completely. The combat looks weighty and fun which isn't something I normally expect from a game like this. Also it's a metroidvania instead of just action platforming. I'm geeked on it. Cyber Shadow is a no brainer for me. Ninjas + Yacht Club Gaming is all I needed to hear. The actual gameplay looks similar to The Messenger, all about the flow of movement with combat being kind of secondary. Also the soundtrack slaaaaaaps from what I've heard so far.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 am 

I've played a few hours now of Ghost of Tsushima. The more I play, the more I like it, and the less I feel like it's just an AC clone in Japan. Playing on hard, fights are short and brutal. Most enemies don't have inflated health pools, they're just more dangerous, and some fights require doing a lot of parries and dodge. It's not Sekiro-level gameplay, but it's still much better than the best AC (and I like those games). I think I get a little one complaint I read, though (I think it was Polygon's review) about the game being too full. It's hard to follow a quest without finding a path to a shrine, a golden bird leading you to a point of interest, a Mongol outpost or patrol, people to rescue, etc. I think Witcher struck a better balance between vast empty swaths of lands to traverse and actual "game" content, though the idea of following the wind or animals instead of markers is absolutely genius. Simple but genius.

That fight against a Tengu monk, though... I had to lower the difficulty, he'd take dozens of hits and kill me in two or three. That was brutal.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:20 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
I've played a few hours now of Ghost of Tsushima. The more I play, the more I like it, and the less I feel like it's just an AC clone in Japan. Playing on hard, fights are short and brutal. Most enemies don't have inflated health pools, they're just more dangerous, and some fights require doing a lot of parries and dodge. It's not Sekiro-level gameplay, but it's still much better than the best AC (and I like those games). I think I get a little one complaint I read, though (I think it was Polygon's review) about the game being too full. It's hard to follow a quest without finding a path to a shrine, a golden bird leading you to a point of interest, a Mongol outpost or patrol, people to rescue, etc. I think Witcher struck a better balance between vast empty swaths of lands to traverse and actual "game" content, though the idea of following the wind or animals instead of markers is absolutely genius. Simple but genius.

That fight against a Tengu monk, though... I had to lower the difficulty, he'd take dozens of hits and kill me in two or three. That was brutal.

Yes, that's rally my main grip. The map is too big for the content it really has. I mean, it's really big and it's great and it's pretty and I love just walking around but there isn't enough content to justify a map this big. The animals and shrines are cool but they ultimately don't make you feel you've actually progressed. At least in The Witcher 3 it was kind of justified because of the multiple armour parts, weapons, story, etc. and the rpg elements helped but this is a much more straight forward action game and it's just too big. Also the map you discover by moving around is way too small and the wind can be a bit frustrating when you're trying to move somewhere. I'm still in the first chapter and I have upgraded all my abilities to the full too. Red Dead Redemption 2 had a lot more content too: weapons, stores, side missions, etc. I'm just not excited by looking around to find something because weapons and armour are mission based so I really have no reason to really wander other than the gorgeous environment. I can't get more points from Mongol camps and I'm still in the first chapter too. It feels a bit unbalanced.

Other than that I'm enjoying it a lot and the combat is really fun. Definitely better than the past AC games in terms of combat and enjoyment. The story could be a bit darker/more exciting but it's ok.

Jonpo wrote:
I definitely had no shame about checking a walkthrough in this case, more just frustrated that I was so clueless about where I needed to pick up the thread on my own save. Finally realized it was the Cistern area that I haven't fully cleared yet. My gamefile says I'm about 45% through. It felt really good to get "back on track" in Blasphemous.

RE Bushiden + Cyber Shadow: I mean a lot of it is just the fact that I'm a total freakazoid for 2D ninja games in the modern era. But those two do look special to me. Bushiden is the bigger question mark of the two, but the footage that came out back around March of this year sold me completely. The combat looks weighty and fun which isn't something I normally expect from a game like this. Also it's a metroidvania instead of just action platforming. I'm geeked on it. Cyber Shadow is a no brainer for me. Ninjas + Yacht Club Gaming is all I needed to hear. The actual gameplay looks similar to The Messenger, all about the flow of movement with combat being kind of secondary. Also the soundtrack slaaaaaaps from what I've heard so far.

I think I got lost too. It turned out to just be something I had missed that wasn't clearly explained so there's no shame in just looking for a but of help if you get stuck.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:51 pm 

Playin' Dark Souls again.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:41 pm 

I plowed through Ghost of Tsushima. I think I logged 40 hours in just over a week. It's my favorite game of 2020, but so far the competition has been pretty slim. I have a few complaints, mainly about how story beats could have interacted with game play better. The final choice was pretty anticlimactic. The different shrines definitely felt like padding content. I stopped doing the charm ones after the first island.

I'll either go back to Bloodstained: RotN or Blasphemous.

Avocat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:31 pm 

I rarely buy games new, so the ps4 summer sale has been a good opportunity for me to pick up some games I haven't played yet. I picked up Red Dead 2, Alien Isolation, Control, and Call of Cthulhu. This should Keep me busy until Cyberpunk, which I will be getting at release.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 am 

I played Observation in one sitting yesterday and it was great. Not completely sure I liked the ending but I'm a sucker for sci-fi/space themed games and films.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:57 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I'll either go back to Bloodstained: RotN or Blasphemous.

I've been having a blast getting back into Blasphemous. I got my gamestate from 40% to about 65% per the save file. It turns out there was still a LOT that I hadn't done in Jondo, not the Desecrated Cistern. I think I've wrapped that up now. There were some super fun platforming sections and I love how the boss fights are Hollow Knight inspired but never as punishing. The weirdo-skull-thespian-thing being carried on their lounging chair by the hairy arms was such a fun, hilarious boss design.

I owe you guys for posting some honest feedback about Blasphemous. A lot of the reviews when it first came out had me believing it was just a gorgeous game with no substance. Dead wrong.

edit: Oh and I bought Colt Canyon on Steam this weekend. Easy recommendation for fans of Nuclear Throne or Enter the Gungeon. If you aren't into that kind of thing don't even bother. It's fun though, I enjoy how visceral the shootouts feel and I like that you have a permanent melee option for stealth kills. I got to the first boss pretty easily but got destroyed by him and his flock of...farm hands? Children? The graphics are very very regressive I have no idea what he sent at me but there was a swarm. Originally planned on buying Carrion but I heard the whole game is only about 5 hours long and had second thoughts for $20.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm 

If you ever liked Suikoden, the co-creators have something for you:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... red-heroes

Also: cats

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:54 pm 

*jaw drops, stays there*

Well god damn that's beautiful. Gonna read up a little further after work. I spent dumb amounts of hours playing Suikoden I and II as a kid. I still bring it up today when people want to talk about RPGs that really innovated or impacted me heavily as a young gamer.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm 

That gif reminds me heavily of Octopath in a way.

Hot damn though that looks nice.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm 

I decided to give LOU2 a shot after two friends wouldn't stop talking about it. I never finished the first one, but the graphics alone are keeping me intrigued on this one. The facial expressions and character interactions are next level. I've caught myself smiling when character's smile at the camera a few times.

I'm currently in Seattle and heading toward the TV station.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am 

PS Plus games for August are COD: MW2 Remastered Campaign (as in only the campaign) and Fall Guys. The latter looks hilarious and like an even wackier version of Takeshi's Castle (which was re-dubbed in the west as MXC).

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:52 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
wackier version of Takeshi's Castle

These five words will sell me on literally anything.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm 

So I'm finally doing another DS3 playthrough, this time with both DLCs. Just finished Ashes of Ariandel, and yep, Sister Friede was a doozy! For me Nameless King was still harder though. I didn't really find any of Friede's phases too rough, but surviving through all three of them was a challenge. Really great boss fight though, and stoked for Ringed City!

It's been a blast to go back through this game. It was my first Souls and it really crushed me on my first playthrough, so to finally go back and breeze through a lot of the bosses that gave me hell the first time around has been a pleasure. Pontiff Sulyvan was a lot less terrifying than I remembered, but still tough. On the other hand, Nameless King will always make me shudder.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:28 pm 

Pontiff is a pain for me, as I'm terrible with shield parrying. Nameless King is daunting for sure. I've beaten him a few times solo.

The most satisfying victory was a cooperative effort though. I summoned two phantoms, cast Power Within and we all buffed our blades. We WRECKED him. He was staggered for most of the fight.

I finished LOU2 last night. I can safely say this was the most depressing game I've ever played. I wasn't a fan of the final chapter. I'm going to go back and play the first one now.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm 

I don't use shields/parrying since I'm all about two-handing ultra greatswords. Pontiff's perfectly doable just rolling through his attacks, but it's a tough fight no matter what.

I'm in Dreg Heap now. Just found Harald's Curved Ultra Greatsword, which I'm trying out. Seems pretty sweet, but I've grown real attached to Yhorm's Machete :)

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:46 pm 

That's my style - two handed FUGS or Astora GS. The only one of the games I ever use a shield in is DS2.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 am 

Well, you can guess my age range by the fact that I recently started a brand new Skyrim quest and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself lol. It's been ten years or so since it came out, and I did a full play through back then, but stopped when there was nothing left to do. I never bothered with all the mods, but man, there sure are a shit ton of them now. What impresses me the most is the game world. I love the artwork and think it still looks good despite being severely dated at this point in time. The mountains, the waterfalls, the night skies...they all look gorgeous. The combat is just as clunky as I remember it being, and I hope that the developers make some changes for the next installment. I'd love the ability to parry, run backwards etc. They need to bring back the levitation too, to reduce all the mountain climbing. Anyway, yeah I don't keep up with many new games because I rarely have the time to play anymore, but quarantine has allowed me to rediscover a lot of old games.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Well, you can guess my age range by the fact that I recently started a brand new Skyrim quest and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself lol. It's been ten years or so since it came out, and I did a full play through back then, but stopped when there was nothing left to do. I never bothered with all the mods, but man, there sure are a shit tone of them now. What impresses me the most is the game world. I love the artwork and think it still looks good despite being severely dated at this point in time. The mountains, the waterfalls, the night skies...they all look gorgeous. The combat is just as clunky as I remember it being, and I hope that the developers make some changes for the next installment. I'd love the ability to parry, run backwards etc. They need to bring back the levitation too, to reduce all the mountain climbing. Anyway, yeah I don't keep up with many new games because I rarely have the time to play anymore, but quarantine has allowed me to rediscover a lot of old games.

I believe there is a remastered edition that looks even better, are you playing that one?

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am 

Yep, I installed it on ps4 and it looks markedly better. I also installed the mod that gets rid of the god awful combat music. Bless the person who created that mod.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 895, 896, 897, 898, 899