Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm 
 

Days Gone is free this month on the Playstation Store and I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

The combat kind of stinks at times, but I'm enjoying the story line and it doesn't feel like every mission is "Going over there to collect 5 of this".
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:32 pm 
 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Days Gone is free this month on the Playstation Store and I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

The combat kind of stinks at times, but I'm enjoying the story line and it doesn't feel like every mission is "Going over there to collect 5 of this".

I have mixed feelings about that one. It was fun to play but I really didn't care about the story and fighting against some of the hordes was just a huge mess. I remember the game was a bit unbalanced, you can fight hundreds of zombies like they are made of papier mâché or die because a couple of them attacked.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Days Gone is free this month on the Playstation Store and I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

The combat kind of stinks at times, but I'm enjoying the story line and it doesn't feel like every mission is "Going over there to collect 5 of this".

I have mixed feelings about that one. It was fun to play but I really didn't care about the story and fighting against some of the hordes was just a huge mess. I remember the game was a bit unbalanced, you can fight hundreds of zombies like they are made of papier mâché or die because a couple of them attacked.


Maybe, it's because I just read World War Z, but I'm all in on this story.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1857
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:06 am 
 

The release of latest EUIV expansion "Leviathan" and it's accompanying free patch of content has been so, so impossibly bad, and the public outcry so loud and quite vicious, that people are asking for refunds that haven't played it yet. One review on steam simply reads 'Whywhywhywhy.... over and over again'.

Turns out that they've pushed a random pre-release version into production - either a testing beta, or at any rate something without artwork, a finalised UI, and with a shit tonne of bugs and problems with the new 'features'. It's the second time in the last 3 months they've done this.

So glad I leanred my lesson about Day-1 purchases of anything made by Paradox.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2003
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am 
 

there's a newly released game called skeletal avenger in steam early access, where you can spot some familiar things :)

Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
twistedknife
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 pm 
 

More games are getting a frame rate boost on the Xbox Series X:
https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-serie ... -fps-boost

This is awesome, but my hard drive is already full, and an external hard drive for the Series X is very expensive!

Top
 Profile  
twistedknife
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:57 pm 
 

Anyone else buying Resident Evil Village? I'm waiting for my copy in the mail. Can't wait! :-D

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:12 pm 
 

twistedknife wrote:
Anyone else buying Resident Evil Village? I'm waiting for my copy in the mail. Can't wait! :-D


Probably, but I'm doing RE7 right now, so I'll finish that one first. It's really good so far. I heard Village had more action, a bit like 4, but 4 was my second favorite in the series.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7656
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:38 pm 
 

twistedknife wrote:
Anyone else buying Resident Evil Village? I'm waiting for my copy in the mail. Can't wait! :-D


Haven't yet but my fiance is a RE diehard and I'm dying to watch her play it. The footage I saw was so blatantly From Soft inspired. Real curious.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Sokaris
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:33 am
Posts: 1177
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:56 pm 
 

I've been having fun with RE8 so far but I have to give it some credit for legitimately freaking me out at one point so far. It's kind of like an amusement park of just over the top horror and I'm enjoying the ride so far.
_________________
Ascended Master- What Was ...And What Shall Be Again Official Stream

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 am 
 

Damn, I really want to play RE8 but I can't really justify spending 60+ bucks on it at the moment.

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1857
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:36 am 
 

Replaing the Banner Saga at the moment - I've still not played a game that makes you invest in the characters, and then drops them off a cliff / crushes them with a demi-god, and generally breaks your heat to quite the same extent. Music is amazing, too - one day I'll get the LP versions of the soundtracks.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:16 pm 
 

Sony has finally admitted there won't be enough PS5 to supply demand until at least 2022. I was so ready to buy one back on launch day and now I'm not even sure I want one anymore. Guess I'll do what I did with the PS4 and wait until there are a ton of exclusive games to play. Well done, Sony.

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Sony has finally admitted there won't be enough PS5 to supply demand until at least 2022. I was so ready to buy one back on launch day and now I'm not even sure I want one anymore. Guess I'll do what I did with the PS4 and wait until there are a ton of exclusive games to play. Well done, Sony.


Not really their fault, there are supply issues for parts that impact a lot of technology, not just Sony. Microsoft is in the same boat. I guess the alternative would have been to hoard the mnachines in a warehouse somehwere until everyone could get it at once?

Top
 Profile  
Turner
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:04 am
Posts: 2225
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 am 
 

I'm happy to wait a few years until the PS5 is easily available. I have a gaming PC anyway (thankfully bought before the mining thing so my GPU is dece) but so far all I'd want a PS5 for is demon's souls anyway. There's a real lack of good games coming out on current consoles atm, either new PS4 or 5 titles. Everything AAA is just lame. There were no release titles for PS5 that I've seen making the most of the tech etc. It wasn't like this for PS4; there were launch titles that are still some of the best it has. I'm waiting.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:23 am 
 

Curious_dead wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Sony has finally admitted there won't be enough PS5 to supply demand until at least 2022. I was so ready to buy one back on launch day and now I'm not even sure I want one anymore. Guess I'll do what I did with the PS4 and wait until there are a ton of exclusive games to play. Well done, Sony.


Not really their fault, there are supply issues for parts that impact a lot of technology, not just Sony. Microsoft is in the same boat. I guess the alternative would have been to hoard the mnachines in a warehouse somehwere until everyone could get it at once?

It may not be their fault but it's definitely their mess.

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2247
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am 
 

Turner wrote:
I'm happy to wait a few years until the PS5 is easily available. I have a gaming PC anyway (thankfully bought before the mining thing so my GPU is dece) but so far all I'd want a PS5 for is demon's souls anyway. There's a real lack of good games coming out on current consoles atm, either new PS4 or 5 titles. Everything AAA is just lame. There were no release titles for PS5 that I've seen making the most of the tech etc. It wasn't like this for PS4; there were launch titles that are still some of the best it has. I'm waiting.



Same here, the current games can't justify the expense. I have few ones i'm eagerly awaiting (Elden Ring, Silksong and GOW Ragnarok) but i still don't even know for what platform they are being made :(

in regard of the PS4 launch i remember it to be pretty terrible (i remember pretty much lots of ports from ps3 and the infamous Knack) is there something really obvious i am missing?

Top
 Profile  
MeavyHetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:54 pm
Posts: 388
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 am 
 

Does anyone here play Dead Cells? The Nightmare mode with four Boss Stem Cells is kicking my ass, and there's still one more to get before Hell mode :(

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:14 pm 
 

I really wanted the stupid thing (PS5) during the initial feeding frenzy, but I've since talked myself out of it since availability was so fucking scarce and I didn't want to deal with getting involved with that mess of people fighting for one.

I still want one and will get it one day, but at least the chip shortage bullshit going on is a better excuse for what's happening than them just not making enough and being dickheads like Nintendo about it.

I can wait another year. It's gonna KILL me if I don't have a PS5 by the time that Elden Ring game comes out.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 am 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Turner wrote:
I'm happy to wait a few years until the PS5 is easily available. I have a gaming PC anyway (thankfully bought before the mining thing so my GPU is dece) but so far all I'd want a PS5 for is demon's souls anyway. There's a real lack of good games coming out on current consoles atm, either new PS4 or 5 titles. Everything AAA is just lame. There were no release titles for PS5 that I've seen making the most of the tech etc. It wasn't like this for PS4; there were launch titles that are still some of the best it has. I'm waiting.



Same here, the current games can't justify the expense. I have few ones i'm eagerly awaiting (Elden Ring, Silksong and GOW Ragnarok) but i still don't even know for what platform they are being made :(

in regard of the PS4 launch i remember it to be pretty terrible (i remember pretty much lots of ports from ps3 and the infamous Knack) is there something really obvious i am missing?

Elden Ring has been advertised by the media as a "PS4/5, xbox and PC" game so I guess it's not a Sony exclusive. Official source: Bandai Namco Entertainment America official Youtube account advertises it as an "XBOX ONE, PS4, & PC" game.


Hollow Knight: Silksong already has a Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030 ... _Silksong/

Top
 Profile  
Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 am
Posts: 418
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:50 am 
 

Silent Steel. A interactive movie/game on the PC. You play the captain on a submarine. Its nail biting fun. You have two enemies coming at you and you may have a sabotager aboard your ship. Its very interesting.


Last edited by Face_your_fear_79 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:15 am 
 

I finished Resident Evil Village. Heavy spoilers up to the epilogue.

Spoiler: show
It was short but sweet.

I thought they had a pretty good mix of horror and action, even though some parts were heavy on the latter.

The Castle was near perfect, a great mix of both, with very cool and charismatic villains.

The Doll house is one of the scariest shit ever.

Moreau's part was a bit of a let down. Not scary, not a lot of action, but the boss fight was great.

The Stronghold was short and intense.

Heisenberg's factory surprised me, I didn't think I'd like it, expecting a lot of browns and greys, but the lighting was very moody, the monsters great, would be as good as the Castle if not for the terrible boss that's really way over the top. Worst fight IMO.

Chris' part was OK, but it didn't have the intensity of the Stronghold fight, and the boss wasn't great.

Final boss was good, she's a bit too much of a bullet sponge, and the fight would have benefitted from a roll/evade/sidestep button, and I pity the fool who arrives at Miranda with low ammo. Good thing is that she is varied enough that you can make good use of multiple weapons, and she has a really cool design. Character design in general is great in this game, except maybe "mutated Heisenberg", and Chris is a bit bland too.

The epilogue was interesting, I guess we'll have some Chris DLC given what he says at the end, and then we'll have RE9 with Rose as the protagonist, which may mean a new direction if we play a character with supernatural powers. But at this point, as long as the low points like Heisenberg remain few and the high points such as the Castle, the Village itself, the Doll House and the Factory remain prevalent, I'm in for the ride.

Top
 Profile  
RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:50 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Southern Hemisphere
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:30 am 
 

For a quite few days here and there, I've been playing Metroid Zero Mission, and it's such a great game. I've played Metroid 1 before, but I struggle to consider it a great game honestly, I can appreciate what it tried to do, but it was really Metroid 2 and especially Super Metroid that actually achieved what that ambitious first entry tried to do. Well, Zero Mission completely reimagines Metroid 1 for the best, and I'm somewhat surprised at how more actiony and streamlined this game is compared to Super Metroid, which is more atmospheric and has a more explorational approach. But it does make ZM faithful to the original, since that game was also pretty actiony, and the exploration aspect hadn't been fully realized yet due to the hardware limitations and other extremely janky factors that came with that game. The world in ZM actually feels like a cohesive world, with no rooms having repeated layouts or weird architecture, it feels so much more organic, I can also appreciate all the extra minibosses. The true strength of the game however, lies in how much more fun it feels to play than Metroid 1, the movement is obviously better, but all the new weapons and upgrades that weren't in the original are the icing on the cake!

Top
 Profile  
twistedknife
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:02 pm 
 

Curious_dead wrote:
I finished Resident Evil Village. Heavy spoilers up to the epilogue.

Spoiler: show
It was short but sweet.

I thought they had a pretty good mix of horror and action, even though some parts were heavy on the latter.

The Castle was near perfect, a great mix of both, with very cool and charismatic villains.

The Doll house is one of the scariest shit ever.

Moreau's part was a bit of a let down. Not scary, not a lot of action, but the boss fight was great.

The Stronghold was short and intense.

Heisenberg's factory surprised me, I didn't think I'd like it, expecting a lot of browns and greys, but the lighting was very moody, the monsters great, would be as good as the Castle if not for the terrible boss that's really way over the top. Worst fight IMO.

Chris' part was OK, but it didn't have the intensity of the Stronghold fight, and the boss wasn't great.

Final boss was good, she's a bit too much of a bullet sponge, and the fight would have benefitted from a roll/evade/sidestep button, and I pity the fool who arrives at Miranda with low ammo. Good thing is that she is varied enough that you can make good use of multiple weapons, and she has a really cool design. Character design in general is great in this game, except maybe "mutated Heisenberg", and Chris is a bit bland too.

The epilogue was interesting, I guess we'll have some Chris DLC given what he says at the end, and then we'll have RE9 with Rose as the protagonist, which may mean a new direction if we play a character with supernatural powers. But at this point, as long as the low points like Heisenberg remain few and the high points such as the Castle, the Village itself, the Doll House and the Factory remain prevalent, I'm in for the ride.


Hey, I didn't read the spoilers, but did you have trouble with the angel statues part? I'm stuck and I might cheat by looking up the solution online.

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:41 am 
 

No, I didn't have too much trouble with that part, but I can guess which one is giving you trouble. Check spoilers if you want:

Spoiler: show
If it's the one that is in what looks like a bathroom and the door closes behind you when you pick it up, there is a passage that leads to another room where you'll find an item that you can use to put back on the statue and re-open the door while keeping the angel statue part.


Here is a semi-spoiler, it's general advice that may open up some paths, but I still put it behind spoilers in case you or other readers might prefer figuring that out (but it's something the game should tell you IMO):

Spoiler: show
I suggest Examining all items you have in your inventory, sometimes there are ways to open/interact with items which isn't really explained.


Also another general tip: hold on to treasure marked Combinable, don't sell them right away. Any treasure that isn't mark "combinable" can be sold without problem as far as I know,

Good luck!

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:35 pm 
 

I just beat Nioh 2 so I can finally rant about awful it is. It's garbage. It feels like they intentionally put every effort into making it annoying. Which is mind-blowing because they obviously rip-off something that was very good and every change they made was for the worse.

- 75% of the game was recycled from Nioh 1: weapons, characters, armour, enemies... You name it. It doesn't feel like a different game, just a very long expansion pack to the first game.
- The story isn't any good. It's just a huge a mess.
- The overall game was easy, I didn't really struggle with any bosses. The only difficulty comes from not having enough potions to heal yourself but I managed to kill most bosses with only 4 (once you find the Kodamas you're ok).
- Farming potions sucks.
- Searching of the Kodamas sucks.
- All enemies and bosses suck. They feel artificially difficult to beat but in the end they are not, it just takes a lot of patience. Not only most of them are recycled from Nioh 1, they all feel a chore to kill. Every enemy is the same: huge life pool, very high resistance to damage and only one grab/area strong effect that insta-kills you unless you're at full health. Most bosses don't have phases and are the same too. There isn't a singe original boss in the whole game. I beat the final boss with only 3 potions because the game kind of forces you to do it if you haven't been farming potions and it was still manageable.
- The Yokai abilities suck. They leave you open to take a lot of damage and deal incredibly low damage. You soon learn it's not worth using them.
- High and low stances suck. High is incredibly slow and the evade roll is annoying. It makes no sense to use it in such a fast game, you get hit almost every time. Low stance does very little damage so all the combats get absurdly long. I beat the whole game using just the mid stance.
- Turning yourself into a Yokai makes the game easy. I've only used on occasional bosses to kill their last 1/4 of health.
- The Yokai evade move is messy, doesn't work half the times you use it and it either makes bosses incredibly easy or makes you die for no apparent reason.
- The inventory sucks. Having thousands and thousands of different armour sets and weapons you are constantly finding just to sell them/discard them is incredibly frustrating. Why do I need 20 copies of the same sword with slightly different changes? Not being able to sort armour sets to know which pieces you're missing sucks, inventory management sucks. Money sucks, I haven't bough a single object the whole game. You can't buy potions and updating weapons or armour to your current level is so incredibly expensive that it isn't viable. You just use the armour and weapon until you find something better or it isn't strong enough anymore and are forced to change it.
- Gameplay is very repetitive and secondary missions are even worse than the main ones. You just kill the same enemies over and over and over in the same locations until you get to the boss.

The only positive aspect of the game is how varied and good the combat is but they mostly left it untouched from the first game. This is one of those games that focus on quantity instead of quality and they really need to rethink most of the game mechanics. Unless they radically change their strategy, I won't play the third one.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:51 pm 
 

I didn't finish it, but I agree how stupid the endless armor sets became.

Looting armor sets is supposed to be one of the highlights of the game, but when you're constantly doing it and having to tediously compare it with what you have/are wearing it loses its luster.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
twistedknife
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:22 am 
 

Curious_dead wrote:
No, I didn't have too much trouble with that part, but I can guess which one is giving you trouble. Check spoilers if you want:

Spoiler: show
If it's the one that is in what looks like a bathroom and the door closes behind you when you pick it up, there is a passage that leads to another room where you'll find an item that you can use to put back on the statue and re-open the door while keeping the angel statue part.


Here is a semi-spoiler, it's general advice that may open up some paths, but I still put it behind spoilers in case you or other readers might prefer figuring that out (but it's something the game should tell you IMO):

Spoiler: show
I suggest Examining all items you have in your inventory, sometimes there are ways to open/interact with items which isn't really explained.


Also another general tip: hold on to treasure marked Combinable, don't sell them right away. Any treasure that isn't mark "combinable" can be sold without problem as far as I know,

Good luck!


I found the solution. I missed the piano room. After that, everything made sense.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7656
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 pm 
 

I've got 82 hours into Nioh 1 and still not beat it. I basically re-install it every four or five months and get addicted for a short burst. This most recent re-boot I beat the Giant Toad (first encounter) on my first try and it hyped me up massively.

To the point where I was primed to buy Nioh 2. Smash cut to me logging in here and reading the grievances above :lol:. Part of me feels like I'm essentially just paying for a character creation expansion pack? I'm really not even mad at that. My least favorite part of Nioh 1 is being a white dude. Always want to opt out on that if I can.

Despite how jarring it is not to be able to jump when I run a "ninja build", especially after Sekiro and Tsushima, I can't deny the combat in Nioh 1 always draws me back. I'm a kusarigama addict.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:02 pm 
 

That's the thing I hate the most, the combat is actually pretty good.

Top
 Profile  
aaronmb666
Veteran

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:37 am
Posts: 2692
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:43 pm 
 

Curious_dead wrote:
I finished Resident Evil Village. Heavy spoilers up to the epilogue.

Spoiler: show
It was short but sweet.

I thought they had a pretty good mix of horror and action, even though some parts were heavy on the latter.

The Castle was near perfect, a great mix of both, with very cool and charismatic villains.

The Doll house is one of the scariest shit ever.

Moreau's part was a bit of a let down. Not scary, not a lot of action, but the boss fight was great.

The Stronghold was short and intense.

Heisenberg's factory surprised me, I didn't think I'd like it, expecting a lot of browns and greys, but the lighting was very moody, the monsters great, would be as good as the Castle if not for the terrible boss that's really way over the top. Worst fight IMO.

Chris' part was OK, but it didn't have the intensity of the Stronghold fight, and the boss wasn't great.

Final boss was good, she's a bit too much of a bullet sponge, and the fight would have benefitted from a roll/evade/sidestep button, and I pity the fool who arrives at Miranda with low ammo. Good thing is that she is varied enough that you can make good use of multiple weapons, and she has a really cool design. Character design in general is great in this game, except maybe "mutated Heisenberg", and Chris is a bit bland too.

The epilogue was interesting, I guess we'll have some Chris DLC given what he says at the end, and then we'll have RE9 with Rose as the protagonist, which may mean a new direction if we play a character with supernatural powers. But at this point, as long as the low points like Heisenberg remain few and the high points such as the Castle, the Village itself, the Doll House and the Factory remain prevalent, I'm in for the ride.


I finished it last week, though I was hoping Id have a Series X by the time it came out. Still looks really good on Xbox One. Looking forward to 9 and maybe a remake of 4.

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:16 am 
 

Oh a remake of 4 would be cool. I know many fans think it's too action-oriented, but I really loved the atmosphere in it and it was the best-looking game on Gamecube.

Plus, I always figured the only reason previous games didn't have as many action was because of the controls limitations, something 4 ditched. Not sure about 3, never played it tbh.

Top
 Profile  
InappropriateReponse
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 4:26 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:57 pm 
 

'Code Vein'. Bought this one on a whim (that's a lie, it was originally $120+ marked down to $20-something :lol: ) and I'm loving this. I'm not normally one for RPG's (FPS person right here, and no, not COD, more Overwatch/Apex Legends) but this plays so damn smoothly and the story is pretty fucking cool to boot.

You can spend hours just in the character creation alone. There is a helluva lot of choices/styles to choose from.

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:02 am 
 

Code Vein was good. I just wish there were more clothing options. You can fine-tune every aspect of your character and customize the clothes to some degrees, but the number of outfits is disappointing. Otherwise it has a really robust character creator. I didn't quite finish it; thought the final boss was just annoying, but otherwise really good. I also heard the DLC was pretty bad, which is a shame since it's a spin-off of God Eater (anime Monster Hunter clone, actually decent but too long for its own good IMO, at least the latest one).

I tried the demo of Scarlet Nexus which has the same look - anime characters in a ruined city. You also control one main character with a few sidekicks tagging along; but it's otherwise quite different. You have telekinesis powers and can throw trucks, boulders and stuff at enemies, really stylish and fun. It's great visually too, it's smooth as butter. There is a lot going on in this one, but I think it's going to be a great game.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 pm 
 

I’ll definitely check out Scarlet Nexus. Sounds cool.

I see they’re releasing it for PS4 still which is good. These assholes better plan on releasing games for PS4 for the foreseeable future since it’s still virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get a PS5.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:49 pm 
 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I’ll definitely check out Scarlet Nexus. Sounds cool.

I see they’re releasing it for PS4 still which is good. These assholes better plan on releasing games for PS4 for the foreseeable future since it’s still virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get a PS5.

Demons Souls should have been a PS4/PS5 game and I fear the new God of War will be a PS5 exclusive as well. Thank god the new Horizon Forbidden West is coming to PS4 as well and Eldenring will be available on PC.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1014
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:39 pm 
 

Oh God I’d be FURIOUS if the new Horizon Dawn game wasn’t coming out on PS4 and I couldn’t play it. That original game was probably the best game I’ve played on PS4. Aloy is one of the best protagonists I’ve played as in a game in I don’t know how long.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 pm 
 

I absolutely loved Horizon, but I'll probably wait to play it on PS5 in 2026 when I can finally get one...

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7656
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:41 pm 
 

Any one else waste 60 on Biomutant? So dumb of me, especially after watching some really sketchy reviews.

The story is dumb, the combat is like...weightless/impactless. The only fun I've had so far is running around on 4 legs and looking for new clothes. Most of which I'm locked out of using because of level?

I wonder if they have any intention to make improvements via patches or if that's something only lovely little indie teams do. Feel like I got burned but it's definitely my own fault.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2659
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:32 pm 
 

Downloaded the GOG edition of Biomutant for free because I feared it wasn't going to be any good and had the exact same impressions after playing about an hour. It just feels like a game released 5-6 years ago with slightly better graphics.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 911  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group