* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
Besides, why collect 1st press vinyls and cds when there's re-releases or downloads!?!

Good fucking question. I'm going to venture that the collector mentality is inherently irrational and that people should care about the contents of the music and the fun of actually playing the games, but I suspect people wouldn't take kindly to being told that... *shrugs*

There's always the facet of hoping to sell this stuff for ever more money to even dumber people down the line, so it's not entirely irrational...
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 pm 

So does anyone here play Quake Live?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:58 am 

Mafia is driving me nuts. Of course the AI is horrible and now I reached the level in which you get two allies who mustn't die but manage to do it all the time. Why can't game designers avoid this clusterfuckery? They just run openly towards wave after wave of enemies that are firing at them and don't even flinch when grenades are landing directly in front of them. Would it really have been so hard to make them just stay behind their fucking cover? I hate you so much Sam and Paulie.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:39 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Mafia is driving me nuts. Of course the AI is horrible and now I reached the level in which you get two allies who mustn't die but manage to do it all the time. Why can't game designers avoid this clusterfuckery? They just run openly towards wave after wave of enemies that are firing at them and don't even flinch when grenades are landing directly in front of them. Would it really have been so hard to make them just stay behind their fucking cover? I hate you so much Sam and Paulie.

I think I remember that fucking level.
I don't know why they keep pushing dumbass companions upon us. They are always either suicidal idiots who rush in the direction of the bullets or comatose mummies who don't do shit

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:59 pm 

anyone playing boarderlands 2? I have it on xbox 360 my gamertag is primal void (yes there is a space inbetween) and i am looking for people to play with but am not interested in dueling for loot i just want a partner to run the levels with and level up our characters. I had a great time playing the first one with friends and am looking to relive the experience with some new people. pm me if your interested in playing the game with me. its a great game and lots of fun.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 pm 

I rented Dishonored and I've been playing it all day. Haven't marathoned like this in a while. Really great game. It seems like my attempts at stealth fall apart a lot and turn into all out killing though :p

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 am 

I'm reasonably certain Hotline Miami has the best fucking soundtrack of any game ever. Seriously.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtz5YMmB2Kc

Definitely evokes that cocaine-induced murdering spree feeling.

Markov wrote:
So does anyone here play Quake Live?

I used to play a lot of FFA, CA, and CTF. Stopped playing because the game is pretty much dead in terms of community and the competitive scene is dead (no tournaments and upcoming players to watch)

I'm hoping Quake 5 comes along before I get too old for duel FPS, hopefully with proper matchmaking and good social interface similar to Dota 2/Warcraft 3. id's been on a shit streak recently though. I can't believe that the same company that was once the forerunner of video game technology pulled something off like Doom 3 BFG Edition. It's basically a console port of a PC port...

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:46 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I'm reasonably certain Hotline Miami has the best fucking soundtrack of any game ever. Seriously.

A friend just showed me this game yesterday and telling how awesome the soundtrack is. It's pretty good, yeah, definitely more in line with games from the 80s and early 90s than with what's done today, the way the soundtrack is utilized. Not the best ever, but definitely in the top for recent stuff.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 pm 

Just finished Dishonored. Damn, that game was really, really good all around. Addicting gameplay, great voice acting, engaging story and writing, so many different options and approaches to take, just an all around very polished creation. I thought the RPG elements were really cool in that there's no XP, you have to find runes and money to upgrade your powers and weapons. It had some bugs though, like a lot of the time when you're swinging your sword at a guard who's pulling out his gun, nothing happens and you still get shot. That was frustrating. I still almost feel like replaying it through again right away.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 am 

Just completed Baldurs gate 2, truly one of the greatest games of all time but now i got Throne Of Bhaal to get through...

Need to get through Icewind dale 1/2, Neverwinter nights 1/2, Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil sometime

D&D games are amazing, especially the late 90/early 00 ones

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:04 am 

Unreal Tournament 99 has such an amazing soundtrack.

Vook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Just completed Baldurs gate 2, truly one of the greatest games of all time but now i got Throne Of Bhaal to get through...

Throne of Bhaal is where it gets truly epic, it's like one awesome fight after another using all your team members to their maximum potential. Have you been to Watcher's Keep? That fight before the final boss was immensely satisfying.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for that enhanced edition to come out, though I don't think it'll be any time soon before it topples BGT with all it's mods.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:25 pm 

Lol i gave up on Watchers Keep, its extremely hard, as is Throne Of Bhaal, seems they really ramped up the difficulty alot, i wasn't ready for it but now im getting the hang of it, Edwin ftw.

Also been romancing Viconia, shes one of my favourite characters with Korgan, Edwin, Sarevok etc

All the best characters seem to be evil.

Also Sarevok+Korgan+Greater Whirlwind = total destruction

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:23 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Unreal Tournament 99 has such an amazing soundtrack.

Unreal is even better!

Wish Alexander Brandon did more.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm 

Vook wrote:
Throne of Bhaal is where it gets truly epic, it's like one awesome fight after another using all your team members to their maximum potential. Have you been to Watcher's Keep? That fight before the final boss was immensely satisfying.

Epic perhaps, but that word has pretty much lost its meaning. Throne of Bhaal is just one fight after another with a story behind it as complex as: "This Bhaalspawn is a *insert race*" and the next one is "But wait, this Bhallspawn is a *insert a tougher, cooler race*". It's just nowhere near as much fun to explore as the original game was.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 pm 

I concur with the above statement.

I actually just started playing Icewind Dale II. Hard to say if I’ll actually get very far with it, I find it hard to put that many hours into a game these days but I’ve definitely still got a soft spot for the Infinity engine.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 pm 

As overused as the word "epic" is, it's probably the best word to describe Dark Souls's Artorias DLC. That, and "brutal".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 pm 

Been playing Metroid prime recently, really awesome game, and quite long, already played it for 16 hours and only beat 40% of it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
Been playing Metroid prime recently, really awesome game, and quite long, already played it for 16 hours and only beat 40% of it.

2 months ago I had the urge to play that, so I did and within 1 hour I absolutely hated it. I remember when I owned a gamecube how frustrating playing MP was. The backtracking, the sloshy level designs, the annoying enemies, the lack of improved armaments until way later, and the dumb collecting robbing players of the best ending.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Vook
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Epic perhaps, but that word has pretty much lost its meaning. Throne of Bhaal is just one fight after another with a story behind it as complex as: "This Bhaalspawn is a *insert race*" and the next one is "But wait, this Bhallspawn is a *insert a tougher, cooler race*". It's just nowhere near as much fun to explore as the original game was.

While it may have lost it's meaning, I don't think I've misused it here. It is one fight after another, but they're all great fights, plus, it's an expansion so you can't expect it to have as complex story as SoA did. There's an all out war, you're being hunted and you're rushing to save yourself and be the last man standing. The experience is really closer to Icewind Dale so that's still great in my book. I found it to be a very satisfying grand finale.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:46 pm 

Im stuck on that green dragon "Draconis" now, damn hes tough

but....anyone else playing Day Z? just started today, took me around 2 hours and 2 deaths to find a pistol, then i died again.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

2 months ago I had the urge to play that, so I did and within 1 hour I absolutely hated it. I remember when I owned a gamecube how frustrating playing MP was. The backtracking, the sloshy level designs, the annoying enemies, the lack of improved armaments until way later, and the dumb collecting robbing players of the best ending.

Wow, I'm surprised anyone could think that about Metroid Prime. I love everything about that game. Also being "robbed" of the best ending is a silly complaint. All you get is a bit of a "DUN DUN DUNNNN" where Samus's abandoned suit comes out but it's EVIL. Besides which, that kind of thing is a staple of the Metroid series, and it was even harder to get the "best" endings in the previous games since it was tied to time, rather than collecting.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 pm 

Prime was fucking awesome. I loved the immersion and the soundtrack! Gah! One of my favorites of all time.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 pm 

Yeah Metroid Prime is hands down one of my favorites, probably #1 Gamecube game for me.

It took the Metroidvania formula into 3D absolutely perfectly in my mind. Something like Castlevania Lament of Darkness, now that's what you call repetition (great OST though). Recycled rooms out the ass and phew, I'd like to give it another go someday but it was super repetitive. The entire Metroid Prime trilogy has awesomely intricate and varied level design in comparison to most things out there thesedays.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:36 pm 

Plus the whole Metroid Prime soundtrack was excellent, one of the few post-16 bit era soundtracks I'm particularly fond of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 pm 

Metroid Prime is just a flat out fantastic game.

One day I should go and get everything back in F-Zero GX, but all of the bullshit I put up with in that game at the same time makes me not want to (Chapters 1, 5, and 7.....HRNNNNGH). I had all racers, tracks, BGMs, parts, and endings, and then my memory card corrupted D:

I've been planning on starting Donkey Kong 64 again, but I haven't gotten my ass to doing it yet.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 am 

The story mode in that game was fucking brutal. I never completed more than 3 or 4 levels, spending most of my time just doing the races (which were quite a bit of fun).

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 am 

I had everything sans the staff ghosts done, then one day my console was reset while some saving was being done. :(

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
The backtracking, the sloshy level designs, the annoying enemies, the lack of improved armaments until way later

I have a feeling Metroid isn't your type of game... I loved Metroid Prime. I have never been a huge FPSer (I like Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and that's about it...), and the whole idea of an "FPA", that is a first-person adventure, really appealed to me. I found Metroid Prime to be so immersive, and I enjoyed not having to be on my toes all the time, having the freedom to explore and just... be some fucking hardcore bounty hunter alone on an alien planet. Anyway, that whole FPA genre didn't amount to much, but hopefully there will be something like it again. It was a really fresh breath of air for me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am 

Metroid Prime's soundtrack was goddamn awful. o_O Especially compared to the SNES's...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 am 

Both were better than Fusion's

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:50 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Metroid Prime's soundtrack was goddamn awful. o_O Especially compared to the SNES's...

Well, I love both.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I couldn't disagree more, I think it's a great soundtrack. Definitely not as good as Super Metroid's but then that's a given. I especially love the Space pirates theme and the music for Phendrana Drifts.

The whole trilogy is fantastic from a gameplay perspective. Every FPS I've played since Prime 3 has felt clunky as fuck to me.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Well, different eras, different target groups, different types of games. In general I agree - though I haven't heard SNES-era Metroid games' soundtracks, or much of any SNES games really - games had better soundtracks back then. But the gameplay, budget and the way the music was used was different too. I'm not too keen on Metroid Prime's soundtrack otherwise, but I really like the first two tracks on it: Credits and Intro menu-music. Not very long either one, but there's something mysterious about them that appeal to me.

Quote:
While it may have lost it's meaning, I don't think I've misused it here. It is one fight after another, but they're all great fights, plus, it's an expansion so you can't expect it to have as complex story as SoA did. There's an all out war, you're being hunted and you're rushing to save yourself and be the last man standing. The experience is really closer to Icewind Dale so that's still great in my book. I found it to be a very satisfying grand finale.

No, you are using it correctly, yes. It's an expansion, yes, so maybe expecting something as complex as the original game is unwarranted, but I would expect at least a story, instead of the obviously villainous advisor cleaning out competition and going against yet another bhaalspawn from a more badass race. I didn't find the fights too great myself, felt more like a grind and having something to throw the new-fangled abilities at. Icewind Dale was a grind too, sure, but there was at least a bit of a plot and wonderment at what is behind the next corner. And it did capture that melancholy, northern wastes, edge of the world bleakness that I imagine would be prevalent in a region so desolate, cold, unfruitful and faraway in a medieval world.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

YOU'RE JUST ASKING FOR ME TO GET PERSONAL AGAIN!!!

Anyways talking about the music makes me wanna mention this nice mashup, Torvus Bog Sub and Lower Brinstar synced up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtBg9WaQlUk

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm 

Speaking of Metroid music... rexxz's version of Super Metroid - Prologue

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
though I haven't heard SNES-era Metroid games' soundtracks, or much of any SNES games really

Probably would be a good idea to fix that, since some SNES games (F-Zero, Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 2/3 (4/6), Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Final Fight (granted it was originally an arcade game), Gradius 3, and more) had fantastic soundtracks

Yeah, I'm a VG music nerd. :oh shit:

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:47 pm 

Speaking of good soundtracks, anybody a fan of Jesper Kyd? The shit he does for IO Interactive is amazing.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm 

Actually no. I'm a fan of Daisuke Ishiwatari's works though. N.EX.T's work for the Korean GGXX#R soundtrack is good too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457 ... 940  Next