Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 pm 

Jesper Kyd is one of my favorites for some newer stuff. Hopefully Assassin Creed III's music lives up to his work on the previous games, since I don't think he's composing for it?

Check out some of the music he did for Genesis games, awesome stuff.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 am 

Jesper collaborated with the guy who is now doing ACIII for one of the other AC games I think so I'm sure it'll kick ass regardless.

I need more vidya game soundtracks though, I only have Freedom Fighters, Deus Ex and Shadow of the Colossus. Any solid recommendations from anyone's personal favourites?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:11 am 

Well Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite pretty handily, but the only other video game soundtracks that stay on my iPod all the time are Yuki Iwai's for Mega Man X-X3, and Daisuke Ishitawari's for Blazblue: Continuum Shift. Those two are entirely different from the ones you listed, but are boss nonetheless.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 am 

Ishiwatari's best, IMO, was GGXX. Testament's and Boss I-No's themes are great.

...and yes, I knocked off "Under Heaven's Destruction" for me profile because it works.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Ishiwatari's best, IMO, was GGXX. Testament's and Boss I-No's themes are great.

...and yes, I knocked off "Under Heaven's Destruction" for me profile because it works.

Once upon a time, I had that soundtrack too, but I lost it in a hard drive crash and just never bothered to get it again. I like Ishiwatari a good amount, mixing metal with any other media usually seems to fail but he owns it for video game soundtracks.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 am 

I have Ishiwatari's stuff on my 1TB. I didn't think he had that many albums with his name on it, holy fuck.

AFAIK, the first VG OST I heard that was anything remotely metal was F-Zero X, a OST I consider to be one of my favorites to this day.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 am 

Has anyone actually beaten Borderlands 2 yet? This game is fucking ridiculous. I was fighting one of those constructor things for like two hours straight and guess what. The level fucking reset itself, when I was so close to finally killing it(I guess I went beyond a boundary or something). It's a great game and all, and has far more content than the first, but Jesus H. Christ is it impossible.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:24 am 

'Course I beat it... in coop that is. Didn't find it particularly hard at any point except for the arenas at times. The final boss was pretty doable too according to what I experienced at my level. The constructors are easy, just shoot them in the eye. Doing criticals is very important.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 am 

^ Likewise, Morri and me beat the game (first playthrough) without much difficulty... If you're fighting a single constructor for two whole hours, you're doing something seriously wrong. o_O I'm guessing it was getting healed by those flying repairbots? You should shoot those things down if you can't manage to deal lasting damage to the constructor but... as inhumanist said, usually firing your strongest weapon right in its eye should do the trick fairly quickly.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 pm 

I suck at FPS, and I manage to play Borderlands (1 and 2), both solo and coop, without really struggling. Yeah, you're doing it wrong...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 pm 

It was a level or two higher than me, so I guess that would explain it. Guess I'll just level up some and find a stronger corrosive sniper rifle than the one I currently have. The first one was so much easier by comparison.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 pm 

I got Borderlands the day before the second one came out and it had all four DLC packs on it. I started playing it by myself and ended up losing interest in it not that long after. Fortunately, my brother picked it up and basically beat the game and three of the four DLC packs (having trouble with Moxxi's arenas). Recently we started a coop game with two new characters, and I'm finding it a lot more interesting this time around.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm 

iAm wrote:
It was a level or two higher than me, so I guess that would explain it. Guess I'll just level up some and find a stronger corrosive sniper rifle than the one I currently have. The first one was so much easier by comparison.

You already had a corrosive sniper rifle and still struggled against a Constructor...?

I don't think this game is for you, no offense. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
iAm wrote:

You already had a corrosive sniper rifle and still struggled against a Constructor...?

I don't think this game is for you, no offense. :lol:

Well, I've been doing fairly well up to this point. I can usually take those things out pretty easily, but I guess it's the layout of this particular map I guess. It's super congested and there aren't many hiding spots for a sniper.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm 

Is it at least a badass?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Well Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite pretty handily, but the only other video game soundtracks that stay on my iPod all the time are Yuki Iwai's for Mega Man X-X3, and Daisuke Ishitawari's for Blazblue: Continuum Shift. Those two are entirely different from the ones you listed, but are boss nonetheless.

Funny you mention this as I'm replaying the X games, been quite awhile. I'm not seeing her listed as the X3 composer though? I could see that going either way... since it does sound a tad different than the first two games.

VGMdb is nice. Hopefully it continues to pull in more information over the years, I always get obsessed with information like this. It makes it extra hard though when staff members went by nicknames in credits though, haha...

Up to X4 again now. I'm not sure which game is my favorite. X is a classic, but easy as heck. X2 definitely has more dynamic bosses and some tougher parts, but man Sigma is a complete joke in this one. Story got more in depth though and those three X-Hunters running around the stages spiced things up. X3 is easier all around, Bit and Byte weren't as cool as the X-Hunters, and then Sigma is super tough all of a sudden. Cool to see Vile return as well. X4 is awesome, X5 I still think is great but when things started to slip for sure... dialogue interruptions during levels (awful for such a game), etc. X6 is when things went to crap story wise, but I still think it's enjoyable all around despite what some might say. So yeah almost done with X4, guess I'll see what I think of X5 and X6 again soon. Never touched X7 and probably never will, X8 was whatever to me as well. Beat it once and bleh.

Overall, I think it's easy for me to say I love the original series a bit more though, MM1-MM6. There's more nostalgia there, but in general I do simply like the games more. Just can't get enough of them. I've replayed them probably more than anything else out there, next to the old Sonic's. Since you can just blast through these games in 30 minutes to an hour. So easy and fun to replay.

MM7 is probably my least favorite by far. BIGASS SPRITES, it just feels so awkward. 8 is... eh, I remember all the levels had annoying puzzles and stuff. I loved MM9 and MM10 though, got all the achievements (Mr. Perfect, yes). And Megaman & Bass is an amazing game too, probably one of the hardest Megaman games too. Tough as balls.

The Zero series is decent, Zero 4's final boss theme is epic as hell (youtube ruins the sound, but on the other hand here's an awesome remix). Was fun marathoning the series but I don't see myself replaying them as I do the originals and X series over the years.

Megaman V (not a 5 remake) and Megaman Xtreme 1-2 on the GBC are totally worth checking out as well if anyone has never heard of them. The Xtreme games are so cool and impressive for the GBC. Basically just imagine what the X games would've been like on the NES, that's exactly what they are. The redone/demaked music is extremely awesome too.

I just wanted to talk about Megaman.

Too bad Capcom doesn't give a fuck.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Is it at least a badass?

no
:oh shit:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:34 am 

I find it so weird how some people play Borderlands. Like some of my friends just focus on one or two types of guns... anyone here do that? I always carry one good one of everything. There's always a situation for something. Then I just shoot things in their face until they die. I've been playing the chick in 2 and she's pretty awesome, already forgot her name.

Call me crazy but I for one enjoy the games more solo.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am 

Never bothered playing X7 and X8, they just look awful. That double DNA whateverthehell boss in X6 has got to be one of the most annoying bosses in Megaman history. God, that thing frustrates me.

Ever play those Megaman Xtreme games for Gameboy? They're like these weird mishmashes of the first three X games. Throwing the bosses and stages together with a new story. I played the shit out of the first MM Xtreme when it came out.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:54 am 

Oh god. I just flashed back to fighting Shadowman in MM3 with the Top Spin

Whose bright idea was it to make him weak to the worst weapon in Megaman history

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:44 am 

Seriously though, Top Man is a fucking top. Did you think the weapon you get from him would be tough?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I find it so weird how some people play Borderlands. Like some of my friends just focus on one or two types of guns... anyone here do that? I always carry one good one of everything. There's always a situation for something. Then I just shoot things in their face until they die. I've been playing the chick in 2 and she's pretty awesome, already forgot her name.

Call me crazy but I for one enjoy the games more solo.

Sniper rifles and shotguns are really all I use. Always carry a rocket launcher and a couple of different elemental type pistols, too. If I'm evenly matched, if you put a sniper rifle in my hands I'm unstoppable.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:41 am 

Mega Man 3 was boss. There's some music in that game. Snakeman's theme music always immediately comes to mind.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:26 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I find it so weird how some people play Borderlands. Like some of my friends just focus on one or two types of guns... anyone here do that? I always carry one good one of everything.

Yes that's what I do. Since they scrapped weapon proficiency in 2 that's even a smart thing to do. Though I rarely ever use pistols because for some reason they suck when I use them. Revolvers in 1 were pretty awesome but unfortunately they didn't make it into 2 as a distinct type and are now weak as shit (and ugly).

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:36 am 

Aaaah, Megaman discussion, i like it!

Aeonblade wrote:
Never bothered playing X7 and X8, they just look awful.

I've played both them many times through but that doesn't count because i'm a Megaman fanboy. X7 is horrible, both gameplay and story wise. The whole point of the game is to introduce most annoying Megaman character to the roster. It has few good moments though, i really liked some music tracks and last boss was cool. X8 is pretty solid game, gameplay is smooth and story is much better, even voice acting which was fucking atrocious in X7. Still, its not comparable to earlier X games at all. I'd say both of them are for real fans only.

Quote:
Ever play those Megaman Xtreme games for Gameboy? They're like these weird mishmashes of the first three X games. Throwing the bosses and stages together with a new story. I played the shit out of the first MM Xtreme when it came out.

Good games for its platform but not really comparable to normal X games. Stories are canon (Xtreme 1 between X2 and X3, Xtreme 2 between X3 and X4), so thats definately the most interesting thing.

Well, speaking of classic Megaman, i did a marathron for 1-10 (excluding MM&BASS, i'm not too familiar with that one and yes, its the hardest). Took me little bit over 12 hours non-stop, with couple cigaret breaks. Haven't done anything like this since 6 years, i think, when i played all the X games, took much longer of course. Don't ask why i did it, got dayoff and nothing else to do and of course it was a good training for my FFVII marathon that i'm doing next week. Hardest thing is to keep endurance, playing games longer sure gets hard when you get older haha.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 am 

Yeah I mentioned the Xtreme games, but don't forget about Megaman V too on the GB. It's got a pretty cool storyline and the last level was really awesome. It was one huge level with you fighting all the bosses throughout, I thought that was pretty cool.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 am 

So I did this quest in Borderlands to find a gun called "Augmented Bane" or something of that matter. At the start of the quest
Spoiler: show
you learn the gun your looking for is cursed. When Marcus has you go looking for it, you go through a long series of finding echo devices to ascertain it's location. When you finally find it, well, you know all the high pitched squeals the midgets make? Yeah. It also has absolutely no accuracy, fires extremely fast, and makes you move super fucking slow.

On the other hand it would be quite hilarious to use in multiplayer.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Yeah I mentioned the Xtreme games, but don't forget about Megaman V too on the GB. It's got a pretty cool storyline and the last level was really awesome. It was one huge level with you fighting all the bosses throughout, I thought that was pretty cool.

Huh, so you did. I must have been drunk last night.

Running through Suikoden at the moment, trying to get all 108 characters. God damn duel with Pahn is kicking my ass. You can lose it and continue the game, but you have to win to get the good ending. It;s largely a luck based fight and I'm not getting lucky.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm 

I think I managed to get the Pahn fight on my second try. Pay attention to what he yells out before his attack, it's a clue as to what he'll do, just counteract accordingly and he'll be down in no time.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm 

I've started using a guide for that so I'll know what's coming. The problem is that he keeps spamming Attack. I have no choice but to defend, but I can't take many hits from him.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Seriously though, Top Man is a fucking top. Did you think the weapon you get from him would be tough?

No, but at least it should be something that isn't colossally shitty

Dandelo wrote:
Mega Man 3 was boss. There's some music in that game. Snakeman's theme music always immediately comes to mind.

Oh man, I had that stuck in my head for the longest time. Then again, there was a time I'd randomly hum this at work for no discernible reason.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 am 

The best overworld theme ever.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 am 

From one of the best games ever. The only problem is that I find it too easy now :P

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm 

It's one of the only games I enjoy doing challenge runs on, like limiting myself to the green tunic, or hearts, etc. Makes it a tad harder... but yeah it's quite easy after you've played it a bunch, heh.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

I planned a minimalist quest years ago, but it never came to tuition. I probably should up the challenge after 3 files with 000 deaths on the GBA port (I had one on a SNES emulator (since my own console is from 1991 and the save batteries are dead) with 013, but that's only because of the fact that it counts save and quits as deaths). The files were all over time; I couldn't do something like that very quickly.

Always fun to glitch into the Palace of Four Swords though and tell the guy guarding the front to go fuck himself :P

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 am 

My brother used to speed run that game all the time. I can't remember the exact time he got, but I remember him being ridiculously anal about playing through it, if he died, he'd start over again.

Man, I loved being a kid, you had time to do serious things like that!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am 

Halo 4 > Mass Effect 3.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 am 

iAm wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Is it at least a badass?

no
:oh shit:

It's OK. I got stuck on level 47 until I had to resort to going on co-op and running around until I got some better guns.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm 

I did a speed run on OoT once, I think it ended up as something like 13 hours. I'm sure there's much faster ones out there, but it was pretty fun. I might speed run ALttP at some point, although I need to buy it again, I sold my copy awhile back. Although it's been so long since I've played it, I'd probably have to go through it at least once before I could do a decent speed run.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Halo 4 > Mass Effect 3.

no.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458 ... 940  Next