Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:48 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:

That gimmick is likely going to outlast consoles.

Time will tell, but I certainly hope not. Either way, it's clearly not part of the games those dumbfucks are complaining about, since by your own logic, the 40% figure mostly comes from these "games". If it was included, then how would it be a problem if they're complaining about games turning away a female audience? You're obviously trying to abuse the facts to suit your argument, but I guarantee if you ask the guys who wrote that article, and the retards that write similar ones, they'd say they're talking about big, popular, action, mainstream games like Gears of War etc. Why? Because those are the games with the smallest female audience. It's not hard to understand. They're clearly not talking about games with the 40% figure because then it wouldn't be an issue, and since they declare that games in general are pushing away the female audience, it's not exactly a leap in logic to infer that they themselves don't consider mobile gaming as being part of gaming, but it's suddenly legit enough when they need those irrelevant figures. So really, the problem here, if it even is one, isn't that gaming is inherently male-centric (it isn't even among mainstream games, for example you have games like Morrowind, Mass Effect, etc, where you can have an identical experience playing either male or female character), but that certain games inherently attract a male audience while most women naturally avoid them. And if that's the problem, then I don't really understand why it's one. Every game shouldn't have to pass a test to see whether it's androgynous or gender-neutral enough to appeal to everyone. Then we wouldn't have games like Bayonetta and Duke Nukem (although, based on his last game, that might not be so bad). There's nothing wrong with having some games attract one audience over another.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
My brother just got a custom made cartridge of the unreleased game for the Nintendo Entertainment System EARTHBOUND, in the mail today. Not the one released on SNES. That SNES game is actually a game called "mother 2," which was released in america instead of the game for NES because the game for NES came out around the time of the SNES's lauch so it was never released. At least that's what my brother tells me. I was playing it for a couple hours and it's so awesome. I'd be all about getting myself a copy as soon as possible if my brother wasn't so damn agreeable with letting me share it.

Personally I'm not really interested in NES games as I think the console is a bit too bare-bones to be enjoyable enough. But, I think it's a damn shame they never released Mother 3 here, Earthbound was a blast.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I love the Assassin's Creed main games (the first to a lesser degree), but $29.99 for more AC3 missions or more for deluxe content? Fuck off, I already was fooled by the ME3 deluxe. What kind of lame ass people are they to hold off on everything just to squeeze another game's worth of a price as extra shit. I'll wait for my fun, and that includes buying AC3 with or without the dlc, thanks.

Nothing pisses me off more than DLC. It's fucking ridiculous. It's gotten to the point where I refuse to buy games that fuck around with DLC and instead will pirate them. There's absolutely no excuse to chop off part of the main game and to sell it along side the game itself.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:30 pm 

my favorite games of this year:
4. elder scrolls v skyrim: dlc, anything that adds to this master piece of games is much welcomed.
3. dragons dogma: a great rpg with nice third person action and character building
2. Call of Duty: black ops2 yeah yeah i know but i love the multiplayer. but where did hardcore kill confirmed go?
1. Borderlands 2: havent got the dlc yet but this game is fucking epic. i have loved this experience and cant wait to get more with the dlc. the dlc adds to the main game as opposed to being main game that your paying extra for.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 pm 

I've bought 5 new games this year, Mass Effect 3, The Last Story, Spelunky, Under Defeat HD and Akai Katana. I haven't played Spelunky or Under Defeat yet. Probably a toss up between ME3 and Akai Katana for me, but there's a bunch of other games I want to get.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
And if that's the problem, then I don't really understand why it's one. Every game shouldn't have to pass a test to see whether it's androgynous or gender-neutral enough to appeal to everyone. Then we wouldn't have games like Bayonetta and Duke Nukem (although, based on his last game, that might not be so bad). There's nothing wrong with having some games attract one audience over another.

Ya did good on this one, boyo.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:22 pm 

Mass Effect 3 - Flawed but fun all around.
Borderlands 2 - Good stuff, need to get back to it.
Dishonored - Not mindblowing but definitely one of the best games I've played in awhile.
Halo 4 - Good but I'm not feeling compelled to reply it on Legendary or anything, multiplayer is only fun with friends, etc. It's alright.

I can see Far Cry 3 being up there with my favorites this year, damn that game is looking fucking good. And I don't exactly love Ubisoft's FPS's, but this one looks awesome.

Can't really think of much else... I hope I like ACIII. My roommate has it and beat it awhile ago, but I haven't been compelled to touch it yet. Yet another franchise burnout for me probably, when you release 20 sequels a year I kind of get bored of it.

I'm having more fun marathoning than Megaman X and original games compared to most things I've played lately. Also finally getting back to Thief 2.

I still really want to get The Witcher 2 sometime. Also ordered Sleeping Dogs off amazon since it was one of the cut prices, hopefully that's cool.

2013 looks good though... I'm sure GTAV and Bioschok Infinite are going to be off the hook.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Mass Effect 3 - Flawed but fun all around.

Can't really think of much else... I hope I like ACIII. My roommate has it and beat it awhile ago, but I haven't been compelled to touch it yet. Yet another franchise burnout for me probably, when you release 20 sequels a year I kind of get bored of it.

I'm having more fun marathoning than Megaman X and original games compared to most things I've played lately. Also finally getting back to Thief 2.

I still really want to get The Witcher 2 sometime. Also ordered Sleeping Dogs off amazon since it was one of the cut prices, hopefully that's cool.

ME3 left me pissed, ACIII when it drops in price I'll pick up, and Sleeping Dogs was fun (although it suffers from the same problem as GTAIV = bad soundtrack and a big city with nothing to really do in it, and lots of traveling far distances for no reason).

I was also running through Megaman X1-3 last week, and they were still very fun. Witcher 2 now that all the bad things have been ironed over is a better game than when I originally played it. You'll definitely enjoy it, but expect it to be shorter than you think it would be.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm 

So, I'm installing Saint's Row 2 for the first time. It's my first taste of the series. You guys better not be full of shit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 pm 

Bad place to start according to what I heard. I tried playing it but my game kept crashing during the first mission :(
3 is awesome, you should get 3.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm 

I have 3 too. But I'm starting with 2.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
So, I'm installing Saint's Row 2 for the first time. It's my first taste of the series. You guys better not be full of shit.

You're wasting your time, that game is just a massive heap that really had potential but seeing as that they keep advertising that game as a 'gaming necessary' four years later, it must have a fanbase....somewhere.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 pm 

3 was a massive letdown compared to 2 to me. 2 was a much bigger game and was just way better, 3 was just all out stupidity and gimmicks but loses the charm after awhile. I lost interest and never finished it. The first game was very clunky with some awful controls (the driving/shooting mechanics were impossible) and yeah, just wasn't that memorable.

If you liked Vice City and San Andreas, Saints Row 2 is up there with those in my book. If you didn't like those then what are you doing.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 am 

I never played San Andreas but I loved Vice City, played the shit out of it back in the day. I bought both games on a massive Steam sale so I'm not too concerned about how good they are. For under $10 it doesn't take a lot to get my money's worth.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 am 

Anyone else think it's dumb that the new Xbox dashboard makes "your pins" a separate button click? I feel like they should be pinned directly to the "home" tab. Having them behind a click-wall makes me have no reason not to use the "recent" folder instead.

Oh yea, what are the best RPGs on the PS3? I'm sure most of them will be JRPGs, which is great. Just don't want to limit it to that. Should I buy Valkyria Chronicles, or is there another title more deserving of the first purchase?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Oh yea, what are the best RPGs on the PS3? I'm sure most of them will be JRPGs, which is great. Just don't want to limit it to that. Should I buy Valkyria Chronicles, or is there another title more deserving of the first purchase?

Valkyria Chronicles is a fine choice, very good and original strategy RPG. There are really very few worthwhile RPGs on PS3... If you count action RPGs, there are of course the much-discussed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 pm 

Apparently Nier is a pretty good RPG.

But people either love it or hate it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
... and Dark Souls.

Which you have yet to even touch. :mad:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I still really want to get The Witcher 2 sometime.

As it turns out, check out today's Steam deals.

Morrigan wrote:
Which you have yet to even touch. :mad:

I'll take your word that it's good enough to recommend. ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm 

That's not the point, which is that you should play it already!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:49 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Aww yeah. I waited for that one. I knew I shouldn't go for -50%.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 pm 

I only played The Witcher for the womanizing.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:54 pm 

Woo, so far I've gotten Witcher 2 and Metro 2033. Played a bit of both already and enjoyed both, looking forward to more.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm 

I guess I'm a bit late to the Halo 4 discussion but I just beat it last night. Overall, I was impressed and think the campaign is the best since Halo 1 (which remains the best). That's actually not saying a hell of a lot since both Halo 2 and Halo 3's campaigns disappointed me, especially Halo 2's. I really liked how this one was more simplified and that basically the whole thing takes place on the Forerunner planet. The pacing was sensible and the environments were decently diverse (though could have been more so). I really liked what the did with the story, but I don't think it reached the potential it could have. Also, without giving anything away, the Legendary ending is complete, total, and utter blasphemy to the series and I personally choose not to acknowledge it as canon. The regular ending is perfectly fine and I actually really liked that they left it open for a sequel without leaving us on a retarded cliffhanger. Other than that, I had a lot of fun with the game and look forward to replaying it on co-op, which is always more fun.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:39 pm 

I'm going to chime in here and mention Star Ocean:Last Hope, for a fun JRPG. It probably has the most entertaining combat of any JRPG I've ever played and has a great customizable modifier that lets you choose either more exp, gold, tech points, return a percentage of MP/HP or a mixture of whichever. unfortunately, the cutscenes are really, really painful, and some of them unskippable. Also, supposedly one of the creators originally wanted to make a h-game instead, which would explain a lot, if true. Still, it's fun and flashy and in a lot of ways represents, to me, the excess of JRPGs.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I can't even really run the first game, so I was planning on a 360 copy or something.

Could maybe build a PC next year, but you know I moved out finally, car blew up two weeks later so I had to get a new one, I want to go back to school, appliances/bills... hmmm, I guess this is life. lol

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am 

FrizzySkernip wrote:
Apparently Nier is a pretty good RPG.

But people either love it or hate it.

I recommend this one too. Nier is not really good as just RPG, gameplay wise i mean, but story and music is something unique. After it got bad scores from many major reviewers, i havent trust none of them ever since. Its a game which will be a cult classic for sure.

For PS3 JRPG's, check out Resonance of Fate. Tri-Ace quality game with deep and challenging battle system.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm 

I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but listen up Timesplitters fans:
http://www.facebook.com/Timesplitters4P ... ts&fref=ts
This guy has made a tremendous effort to send a message to Crytek that we need another Timesplitters game. His efforts have actually been recognized, as the company has responded to the movement on several occasions. It suggested that Timesplitters 4 is highly unlikely to be made, but that an HD remake of the first three could be a possibility if the popular online petition gains any momentum (specifically, 300,000 sigs). Then, depending on how well that sells, another sequel can be decided upon.

So please, if you're a fan of quality shooters, shooters the way they don't make 'em any more, take some time to sign the petition:
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... collection

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

I fukken loved Timesplitters back then. Signed up.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm 

Great! You don't even need to bother putting your real info, obviously. Just sign up, guys!
Even those of you that haven't played Timesplitters, it would be much appreciated.
If you are one of those people, FIX THAT

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 pm 

I just bought Age Of Mythology after not playing it for like 8 years...anyway i tried logging in as one of my old online names and it fucking worked, as i said its atleast 8 years since i logged into it lol

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 pm 

I got both Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 with my new GPU. Can't wait to play BL2on PC, but what should I expect from AC3?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Woo, so far I've gotten Witcher 2 and Metro 2033. Played a bit of both already and enjoyed both, looking forward to more.

Metro 2033 is one of the main reasons I can't wait to build this god damn PC already. I know it's CPU heavy but it should run fine on a quadcore at 3 Ghz, right (possible overclocked to 4Ghz max)? The Witcher I'm sure is better on PC too but I don't not getting the best graphics / performance for a good RPG.

I've been interested in Nier. I think i would find the meta commentary interesting.

@Balor, what GPU did you get?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm 

Some variation of the gtx 660 2gb, hopefully it'll handle anything I can throw at it for a couple of years, like Planetside 2 or Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. I won't be able to set up the rig until a couple of days when some of my friends are available, because I'm afraid I'll break something and they have prior experience.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:00 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Some variation of the gtx 660 2gb, hopefully it'll handle anything I can throw at it for a couple of years,.

I have a gtx 560 and you'll be fine. Some games like Sleeping Dogs maxed out with the highest high-high it offers is the most recent example of something that my beast of a computer CAN'T tackle. However, even the highest high under max settings will run (fan runs like a MF to keep up). You and me should be fine until 2015 or so when developers have 2012 minimum reqs.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
My brother just got a custom made cartridge of the unreleased game for the Nintendo Entertainment System EARTHBOUND, in the mail today. Not the one released on SNES. That SNES game is actually a game called "mother 2," which was released in america instead of the game for NES because the game for NES came out around the time of the SNES's lauch so it was never released. At least that's what my brother tells me. I was playing it for a couple hours and it's so awesome. I'd be all about getting myself a copy as soon as possible if my brother wasn't so damn agreeable with letting me share it.

Personally I'm not really interested in NES games as I think the console is a bit too bare-bones to be enjoyable enough. But, I think it's a damn shame they never released Mother 3 here, Earthbound was a blast.

It's a helluva playable game. It's not like other NES RPGs *cough*Final fantasy, where you have no clue what the hell to do. It's so much better than final fantasy in my opinion. It's kind of funny to me that in this age of fuckin advanced shit, this unreleased game, earthbound, for NES, is pretty much the only video game I actually feel like getting into. All these new games are fps with garbage multiplayer. The story mode (imo the most important part of the game) feels practically like a really overly expensive, overly flashy tack-on. They're basically just trying to make it feel more like a movie, and it ends up feeling less like a game. Not to mention story modes are all so easy; I'm pretty much done with online multiplayer at this point. Ugh, this is one of those don't-even-get-me-started kind of things. So I'll spare you all a big eye sore of letters to stare at.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm 

Well, Ozzy, I'm just glad I'll finally be playing games that aren't on a console or more than 5 years old.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
The story mode (imo the most important part of the game) feels practically like a really overly expensive, overly flashy tack-on. They're basically just trying to make it feel more like a movie, and it ends up feeling less like a game. Not to mention story modes are all so easy
Exactly my thoughts.
All the cool series which had some originality got rid of theirs and all ended up fitting in one of the few specific type of games. All the FPS play the same, all the 3rd person shooters play the same, all the 3rd action games have very similar base mechanics, etc. Some games mix different types of games, but the experience can always be separated into distinct generic experiences. Very few games are truly unique, and those which were often were abandoned (Mirror's Edge comes to mind). Similar can be said for Nintendo franchises which always stood out in some ways, often they end up being too easy now.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 pm 

Blazed through XCOM and now I'm videogameless again. I'm so picky these days. Maybe the new Far Cry will do it for me.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am 

I think you played Dishonored but if not check it out.

But yeah so stoked for Far Cry 3.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 940  Next