Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 pm 

The only time that kind of expectation is ever reasonable is when it is set by the developers themselves. For example, if they told everyone that while FO76 *is* multiplayer only, they designed it to play as closely as possible to their previous entries (including fully scripted NPCs with a self contained plot, various characters with their own identities and so forth) then I could see the validity in that perspective. But the reality is they did the complete opposite and were very candid, open and honest with their fans as to what kind of game they should expect in FO76. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it at all of course, but to hate on the game because it isn't super similar to the rest of the series is just absurd.

failsafeman wrote:
Multiplayer spinoffs of singleplayer franchises is basically as old as gaming.

Exactly. How any of this is surprising or worthy of any kind of discussion just escapes me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Yeah because when a band releases an an album that's little bit different in style to the previous ones no-one compares it to them or states "It's their worst album" etc...

Like rexxz said, the music equivalent to a spin-off is a side-project, not a follow-up album.

ambientsorrow wrote:
Except it still carries the Fallout name.

So does Fallout Tactics yet it plays completely different... because it's a spin-off. It has the Fallout name because because it's in the same world/lore/etc.

Christ you people are dense, lol.

failsafeman wrote:
I gotta agree with rexxz that expecting a multiplayer-only game to be like a singleplayer-only game is silly. That's like getting mad that Unreal Tournament doesn't have a good storyline like Unreal did. Multiplayer spinoffs of singleplayer franchises is basically as old as gaming.

This.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 am 

The games changing from isometric to FPS doesn't impact the world or the lore though lol

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 am 

Yeah, how dare people compare Metal Gear Survive to MGSV or Resident Evil Umbrella Core to Resident Evil games...

Anyway, whether judged as a Fallout game or judged as a Rust-clone carrying the Fallout brand (and engine, and most of the code, and many of the same animations/textures, and most of the same gameplay/leveling mechanics, and most of the same 'lore delivery' as the last numbered Fallout entry), it's apparently "dogshit":

Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am 

rexxz wrote:
Except in this analogy FO76 is more like a side project rather than a direct continuation of the main band's career trajectory. Again, all of this was stated from the very inception of the game. People who treat it any differently only have themselves to blame.

When Dave Mustaine did a side project, it was not still called "Megadeth."

To be fair, I am personally judging Fallout 76 for what it is--a basic online multiplayer shooter with a Fallout skin. Shit I don't play, don't care for, don't have time for, and that is usually grossly skewed if not outright ruined by a small core of overly dedicated players.

And to be fair, I am disappointed at what it isn't--I want a regular Fallout game that is about, basically, everything the Fallout games were known for. Plus the dialog depth of, at the very least, New Vegas. Funny how the last "side project" Fallout game was more Fallout than anything that came after. At any rate, judging Fallout 76 for what it is, in this case, is hardly different from judging it for what it isn't. It is not a normal Fallout game but it is also a shallow genre I have no interest in for the aforementioned reasons.

People can dislike the game (movie, TV show, book, music, etc.) for what it fails to be when it is clearly branded as an existing IP. When Nintendo made, say, Paper Mario, they did not claim it was the next regular Super Mario game, nor was it branded as one. When they made Link's Crossbow Bullshit, they did not label it with the typical "Legend of Zelda" moniker or IP--it wasn't "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossboy Shooty Gallery". Again to my note about Fallout: New Vegas also being considered a "side game" despite carrying the same initial labeling, while in many ways being more Fallout than Fallout 3 (per my understanding, my time with F1 and F2 is rather brief), and definitely "more Fallout" than "mainline" title, Fallout 4, which essentially removed the dialog options and made many perks borderline useless. The Brotherhood of Steel offshoot on the original Xbox and PC was actually branded as a side project correctly--the Fallout name was reduced and the Brotherhood of Steel was the primary branding.

So I get why people are upset this is a lame-ass online-only shootery offshoot in a completely different genre. I get why some people, myself included, would lose interest simply because of what it is--which no one seems to be addressing. It's okay to just not like the fucking genre and it's okay to be disappointed that it's not a "mainline" Fallout game and it's understandable that people might see a worrying trend since the franchise has been watering itself down bit by bit with most (not all) newer entries.

Per it's genre, it's great that some people have the unlimited time to dedicate 40 hours a week or more playing the same game over and over, but I just don't have that. That shit gets exhausting and I'm playing games to fucking relax, generally. These days, I'm lucky if I get a couple hours to myself to play pretty much anything. And even when I did have way more time, I would still rather break up my time with more than one game. That is just not my style. Fallout 76 is not my style. Oh well, I'm just not going to buy it.

If Paradise Lost suddenly released, say, a K-Pop album still labeled as "Paradise Lost," I'd approach it the same way. "This is not what I expect of this band" and "this is not to my taste."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
So by your logic, everything after Fallout 2 should be considered a spin-off because they're not isometric turn-based games? You might want to have a think about what you're typing before you call people dense.

But those aren't even spin-offs. :scratch: They were not advertised as spin-offs, but as an evolution of the franchise. If someone did have a problem with FO3 because it wasn't isometric like the originals and disliked the new direction, that'd actually make more sense, even if I'd disagree with it.

The point here is that Fallout 76 was clearly marketed as a multiplayer spin-off and not a mainline, iterative sequel or a new direction of the franchise. You can still hate it (I'm not interested by it one bit, myself), but to say it's bad because it's MP and not SP is, indeed, being dense.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
So I get why people are upset this is a lame-ass online-only shootery offshoot in a completely different genre. I get why some people, myself included, would lose interest simply because of what it is--which no one seems to be addressing. It's okay to just not like the fucking genre and it's okay to be disappointed that it's not a "mainline" Fallout game and it's understandable that people might see a worrying trend since the franchise has been watering itself down bit by bit with most (not all) newer entries.

But then you'd be disappointed at the game the very moment it was announced, right? That's fine. Upon it being announced I also thought "yeah no, hard pass". What I didn't do is think "oh, new Fallout game, cool!", buy it, play it, and then say "WTF is this multiplayer trash?? where's my storytelling and dialogue choices etc?".

That's the difference here.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 pm 

Right, I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand what we are trying to say here. I feel like we have just been repeating the same thing over and over, and it's obviously not getting the point across. /shrug

And anyway, on a separate but slightly related note I still don't understand how anyone could be disappointed that something exists that they specifically might not like (even from the perspective of a mega fan). Hundreds of thousands of movies and games and books get made every year, a single individual is really only going to like a small percent of them. Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment? I am differentiating between simply holding a negative opinion on something (ie; I don't like this), and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted by your own subjective taste in regards to titles which don't comply with your taste (ie; I am so disappointed/upset/mad/whatever that they did this). It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series too, and when they started that 10 year run of making 3D Castlevania titles, I didn't complain about it even in the slightest. Simply ignored them and moved on because I don't have the time or energy to let things like that bother me and there are so many other titles out there that will get my attention.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 am 

rexxz wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of movies and games and books get made every year, a single individual is really only going to like a small percent of them. Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment?....and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted

I don't know, I feel like the mere existence of Alien vs Predator as a concept is pretty solid evidence that a piece of entertainment can traumatize by its mere existence.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 am 

I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con given the only medium AVP hasn't flourished in is cinema.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment? I am differentiating between simply holding a negative opinion on something (ie; I don't like this), and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted by your own subjective taste in regards to titles which don't comply with your taste (ie; I am so disappointed/upset/mad/whatever that they did this). It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series too, and when they started that 10 year run of making 3D Castlevania titles, I didn't complain about it even in the slightest. Simply ignored them and moved on because I don't have the time or energy to let things like that bother me and there are so many other titles out there that will get my attention.

I agree with you, but I think it's understandable in the sense that so many people in our society base their entire identities on their media consumption. When life is so devoid of meaning and community and someone spends all their free time gaming and, I dunno commenting on video game shit online, I can't say I'm surprised when we see gamers online having meltdowns over whatever stupid shit is pissing them off this week.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm 

So, turns out The Evil Within 2, while still a bit flawed in some ways, is several times better than its predecessor. Pretty much every single gameplay aspect has been refined, and while the horror is still a bit more of the "gross you out" variety than I'd prefer, it's a lot of fun. It strikes a kind of action/horror balance I haven't really seen since Resident Evil 4, I think, and it's got some legitimately scary sections, so I can dig it. My only real complaint is that the antagonists could be better; "artistic serial killer" and "sinister priest guy" are very played out archetypes, and the game doesn't do much to make them stand out beyond pure visual flair.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:22 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
If you want to buy into the marketing surrounding Fallout 76, that's fine. Unfortunately for you, not everyone else is as gulliable.

OK this is borderline trolling now. You refuse to "buy into the marketing" surrounding it, which clearly marked it as a separate, special, different kind of spin-off, and then you are... unhappy that it's not like the mainline Fallouts. This makes zero sense.

- "I'm disappointed in FO76 because it's not a real Fallout"
- "But it was never marketed as such"
- "Yeah but I'm not so gullible as to believe them when they said it!"

:facepalm:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 am 

I'm kinda amazed by the sheer amount of internet butthurt and fury over this game. It's kinda hilarious, I guess gamers haven't had a good thing to vent about lately and it could certainly to be a less-deserving company than Bethesda.

At the same time, I agree with rexxz in that all of the personal offense people are taking for a game that isn't even made for them isn't just unwarranted; it's profoundly sad. Though it shouldn't be in the least bit surprising, given that this is the same "community" that produced hundreds of thousands of single-spaced size 12 font 200 page theses on Gamergate and countless hour-long screaming youtube rants gathering millions of views about how No Man's Sky is literal fraud and whatnot.

Still looks exactly like a Fallout 4 multiplayer mod to me though.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 pm 

The fact that most gamers are permanently butthurt, childish little bitches is basically a universal constant. Not at all surprised.

The only thing I care about regarding Fallout 76 is the fact that it's got an adorable version of Mothman in it. It's all fuzzy!

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm 

Except we've already correctly demonstrated why it's not an ok comparison to make, but keep going on thinking that it is I guess? I suppose by the same logic everyone should be upset that Unreal Tournament wasn't a single player, story-driven game, like failsafeman aptly pointed out. :durr:

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 pm 

:

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 pm 

Quote:
Otherwise, I'm selling some essential oils that have some GREAT healing benefits as well as properties which promote HEALTHY ways to increase attentiveness when it comes to reading. Would you like to buy some?

Yeah, I was right after all. You are just plain trolling and shitposting now. Clearly, disagreeing over video game categories is the same as falling for snake oil scams.

Please take a step back from the Internet.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Resident_Hazard wrote:

But then you'd be disappointed at the game the very moment it was announced, right? That's fine. Upon it being announced I also thought "yeah no, hard pass". What I didn't do is think "oh, new Fallout game, cool!", buy it, play it, and then say "WTF is this multiplayer trash?? where's my storytelling and dialogue choices etc?".

That's the difference here.

I was disappointed the moment it was announced and they actually managed to clarify "yeah online shooty time with friends only." I'm bummed, but eh, to be fair, I still haven't finished Fallout 4, so I've been playing that when I'm doing something alone. Now I'm just disappointed in the garbage dialog system. *rimshots* (I thought there was a rimshots emoji.)

Moving on from the fallout of Fallout 76:

My son and I have been playing Divinity Original Sin 2, and since he finally did his damn homework, we were able to fire it up again. These games never cease to surprise in the wacky things you can do. After learning the "Bless" Source spell, we did nothing with it, which is the opposite of what you're supposed to do with new abilities in this game. Then, while we were failing a boss battle, I blessed the fire I'd inexplicably set around us and WHEN YOU BLESS FIRE IT HEALS YOU. So that suddenly threw a new dynamic to the game and we went around blessing a whole bunch of stuff. Finished two more quests just because of that ability.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm 

Hollow Knight is worth the $15, but I'm not getting the sheer passionate love that I've seen in this thread.

It is a good Metroidvania though and I am enjoying.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:45 pm 

I hope it pulls you in further! How deep have you gone? I'm at like 90-something percent with over 50 hours in, and can easily say it's a dream game for me. It feels so personal and passionate. Ultra crispy controls and beautiful art. I liked it from the beginning but the sheer amount of STUFF to discover plus the subtly unfolding story line took me beyond the stars. I'm smitten for sure.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 am 

Your passion is very contagious and I want to like this game at your level.

I'm maybe five or six hours in. The main plot point I've reached is those three dream warriors or whatever they were called banishing me to another realm. Now that you say the controls are so "crisp" I'll admit that I didn't even think of how the controls compare to other games of this genre. I guess I'd have to play something else before I'd agree.

They did a good job with the creepy/horror factor in the deepnest. My shit was real concerned with all those bugs emerging from the ground that I was somewhere I didn't belong yet when I first got there. I didn't find the treasure for beating the Mantis warriors till going through there for a second time. I thought it seemed kind of cheap that my reward for beating them was passage to another map.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 am 

Jonpo is even more contagious if you actually converse with him. We had a few rounds of Nidhogg together a year ago and it was a blast.

darkeningday wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 am 

Hollow Knight is so good that when I got Shadow of the Tomb Raider from the library and had three weeks to play it, I was thinking about how much less fun I was having than playing Hollow Knight almost the entire time. Kind of soured the experience!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:51 am 

Coconut: Oh my man, you're just getting started! There's so much left to do, and so much to discover. The game really comes alive as you start to discover new abilities and build up your power. I sincerely hope I didn't set you up for any kind of disappointment though. I know I can get a little zany about my love for this game but it just connects with me on a weird level. It's my favorite TYPE of game (2D, exploration-based with excellent combat/controls) and it just happens to be executed flawlessly (imo of course). I hope it blooms for you, let us know! Deepnest was a fucking nightmare lol. I'm still not sure I've found everything there. Probably not.

acid_bukkake: That really was fun as fuck dude! It makes me feel good that it was memorable for you too! I see you online all the time (good user names tend to stand out greatly on my friends list...) but we don't play much of the same shit I don't think. Would you believe I still fire up Nidhogg to play by myself from time to time? I'm baaaaad at it now but I'm always down for a game if you're feeling it. Did you ever try the second one? I love the idea of adding ranged weapons, I just hated the graphics so much. They went over-the-top goofy.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Jonpo is even more contagious if you actually converse with him. We had a few rounds of Nidhogg together a year ago and it was a blast.

Ha! I looked up nidhogg, because I thought it was some kind of beer I'd never heard of.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm 

LOL, okay, I do see how that looks with zero context. Nah, it's a stick figure sword fighting tug-of-war game, naturally! I don't know about beers but I know for sure we were smokin' something good :)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm 

Jonpo: The praise you give these games can only help. It always makes experiences so much more enjoyable when someone is as passionate about something as you are.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm 

Oh okay cool. I just didn't want to set you up for a disappointment. I spent most of my life not giving a fuck about video games, but I was playing the wrong shit the whole time! So I get maybe a little extra hyped about modern-retro stuff like Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, and Specter Knight.

P.S. I'm still hopelessly obsessed with Brawlhalla. The world championships just happened over the weekend and it had me so hyped to play and develop my skills. I'm still garbage and usually get bodied in 1v1s but I'm learning damn it.

I'm also on a mission to beat Hotline Miami 2, which I originally gave up on for not giving me the same "freedom" I had in the first one. Ultimately though, I fucking love the first one and there's enough of it's spirit in the sequel that I want to see it through. Talk about a simple game executed well, god damn!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 am 

Hotline Miami 2 demonstrates that more is sometimes less. They threw a ton of new ideas out there and some of them were good, some of them were meh, and some of them were downright aggravating. I got pretty close to the end but the levels just started getting ridiculously huge and frustrating.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:18 am 

It just kept going on and on and on and would not fucking end, I just threw in the towel eventually. A shame because I thought the soundtrack might have even been better than the first one, which was already great.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am 

Well...shit! I honestly figured it was a pretty short game but uh, damn. I do still love pulling up the first one just to replay random levels. And I do sometimes play either one just to listen to the soundtrack.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 pm 

I really like the first part of HM2, and some of the "Vietnam" flashback levels are great as well, but as the game goes on the levels get bigger and bigger and unfortunately the game frontloads its creative character designs - the twins are one of the funnest characters in either of the two games to play as, but after the first part you never play as them again.

However, I do think the story is interesting, like dd said the soundtrack is great, and I really like the atmosphere. Thematically it's a great continuation, it's the level design and pacing of the gameplay that holds it back.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 pm 

RDR2 is the first game that's made me cry. There are a few pacing issues early on and throughout the Epilogue, and let's not forget Chapter 5 feeling like an entirely different game, but holy SHIT Arthur Morgan is a GOAT protagonist contender. 9.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:15 am 

Man, I've hit a wall when it comes to Hollow Knight. Basically only have Nightmare King Grimm and the Pantheons left. Sitting at 107% completion. Grimm is just...god damn. I feel like my reaction time is too slow to ever beat this shit. And I thought my first encounter with him was tough! Man, that music though! As for the pantheons, I got to the last part of the first one (the twin nailmasters) pretty easily but then sort of got wrecked. It's pretty discouraging to try again because of how long it takes. I feel like I'll probably give it a few more hours and then step away for a while if I don't make any significant progress. All in all, I cannot believe I only spent 15$ on this game. I'm 36 hours in, which is insane value!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm 

I gave up on NKG. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:12 pm 

Gave up??

Fuck.

The shit's that hard?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:32 pm 

The game seems to break most people before they reach 112%. I've long assumed that if Morrigan hit a wall I probably would to. Thankfully I haven't made it that far yet. I just recently activated the Grimm Troupe DLC. I don't even have a clue how to do the Godmaster stuff.

It's funny how early some people throw in the towel though. So many posts on the HK reddit about the Watcher Knights being the end of the line because folks can't just beat 'em.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 859, 860, 861, 862, 863, 864, 865 ... 940  Next