Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Anyone play the Silent Hill HD collection for PS3 post patch? Is it worth picking up? I never played any Silent Hill games and I'm jonesin for some survival horror.

Definitely pick it up. If you like them, pick up Downpour as well and you've got the three best Silent Hill games for a very good price. Playing post-patch is fine nowadays, didn't run into much trouble, save for 1 graphical glitch that lasted about 2 seconds.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 am 

on another note: Resident Evil 6 really looks like ass.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 am 

I usually hate it when people use this argument, but fuck it; I would actually be excited for RE6 if it weren't a RE game.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am 

i'm not excited for it either way, and i'll probably never play it unless it has an offline co-op mode, like in RE5

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am 

RE5 was balls, I only liked the co-op mode because I played it with a really good friend. RE6 looks like balls.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am 

same here, I wouldn't play RE5 otherwise even if people paid me to

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 am 

Playing through Skyrim, which despite the reviews I was afraid to get until the PS3 patch because of its buggy nature. I still have scars from the broken quests in Oblivion.

I would advocate redoing the entire Elder Scrools series using the Skyrim engine. This game looks and plays great. I've never seriously considered playing a MMORPG, but I might have to check out the online game when it comes out.

There are still a couple of gameplay elements to fix though. Most of the Mage and Thief perks are useless, for example. Anyone know what Bethesda has in mind for the online version?

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am 

Resident Evil 4 is the best resident evil. Was resident evil 5 that bad? I haven't really had the opportunity to play it. I will probably try 6 out just to see how it is.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm 

You know Resident Evil 6 is really bad when even major gaming sites are giving it awful scores. Gamespot gave it 4.5/10 I think.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
You know Resident Evil 6 is really bad when even major gaming sites are giving it awful scores. Gamespot gave it 4.5/10 I think.

IGN gave God Hand a 3/10, so you gotta take these scores with a grain of salt.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Anyone else excited for the release of Pokemon Black and White 2? I thought the Black and White one were great, the pokemon could have been better but whatever the game was fun.

Also I have heard rumors of nintendo remaking The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the Wii U does anyone know if this is true and if so is there an article I can be linked to?

There was a fake trailer for it a while back, it looked fantastic and I'd love a Zelda that looks like that. They'll probably release it for 3DS eventually, I'd say. Considering a lot of Majora's Mask used the same assets as Ocarina, and they've already did enhanced character models for the 3DS remake of that game, it seems like a no brainer.

I know a demo is in no way indicative of the whole title, but Resident Evil 6's demo was big hairy man crack with poop berries. I was so disappointed, and usually I'm into that sort of thing :lol:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Also I have heard rumors of nintendo remaking The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the Wii U does anyone know if this is true and if so is there an article I can be linked to?

Just a rumor at this point, and more likely to be on the 3DS. After the release of the Ocarina remake on 3DS, there was a fan petition requesting that they give Majora's Mask the same treatment. As of last E3, Miyamoto said that was still under consideration.

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Definitely pick it up. If you like them, pick up Downpour as well and you've got the three best Silent Hill games for a very good price.

Implying Downpour is better than the original Silent Hill? Hmm, I'm highly skeptical.

failsafeman wrote:

Ouch! I guess Capcom should have bought ads on Gamespot...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm 

Downpour definitely isn't better than the original Silent Hill. It's pretty decent, though, far better than Homecoming. It's just held back by some stupid flaws that would have been easily correctable.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:20 pm 

Enemy design could've been better :/

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:26 pm 

Yeah, that's one thing, the enemies were pretty stock, though I liked the wendigo-type guys, and the mechanics of the mannequin ghosts were really good. Also the Judge was pretty good, albeit a quasi-rehash of Pyramid Head. The last boss however was fabulous. By and large though, the basic enemies are very dull and get repetitive fast. Other major flaws for me were crappy combat and an awful, awful reward system. Seriously, they put a lot of totally great side quests in the game, lots of awesome secrets, and then the rewards to these often quite challenging puzzles/combat sequences are like 3 medkits, or a gun you already have. Fucking stupid. The beat-em-up style weapon system could've worked, but I really think they should've limited it to just melee weapons instead of including guns.

The story was good though, and the level design was fantastic, one of the best out of all the games, actually. Good puzzles, great atmosphere. I think the otherworld chase sequences were a great integration of the chase parts from the last game, done far better than Shattered Memories did. Downpour was frustrating because it was a bunch of brilliant ideas tied to a bunch of head-scratchingly stupid ones. I really think they just ran out of time/budget on this one, since the flaws would be very obvious with even just a little playtesting.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm 

Can anyone recommend some good games that came out recently for PS3? I'm looking to add some new game to my collection for the first time in a while. So far I'm thinking about getting NHL 13, WWE 13, SSX, Soul Calibur 5, and God Of War Sagas.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:20 pm 

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 pm 

Make sure you play SC 5 before you buy it. They made the most significant changes to the mechanics in the series.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm 

Hopefully they will go through with the remake although I really don't like the 3ds. The 3ds hurts your eyes after staring at it for like 5 minutes. Who knows maybe an updated version of it will be released soon so that it isn't painful to use.

Damn RE6 is getting some horrible reviews my buddy picked it up so I might just play his copy and decide for myself so far it doesn't sound promising

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 pm 

percepticide wrote:
The 3ds hurts your eyes after staring at it for like 5 minutes.

Well, you can just disable the 3D thing as I understand it.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:
Anyone play the Silent Hill HD collection for PS3 post patch? Is it worth picking up? I never played any Silent Hill games and I'm jonesin for some survival horror.

Definitely pick it up. If you like them, pick up Downpour as well and you've got the three best Silent Hill games for a very good price. Playing post-patch is fine nowadays, didn't run into much trouble, save for 1 graphical glitch that lasted about 2 seconds.

I'm still weary of the HD collection. Has it actually become that playable for the PS3? If I'm to take the risk for the HD collection, I'd like to get it cheapest possible. £15 may not sound too bad but even then I feel I should get it for less. I was at least willing to get the MGS HD Collection for almost £30 since the games were ported extremely well. MGS3 on the PS2 had awful frame rate but it's a whole lot smoother on the HD remaster. Plus, it was best opportunity to play Peace Walker without needing to get a PSP for it.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:23 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
percepticide wrote:
The 3ds hurts your eyes after staring at it for like 5 minutes.

Well, you can just disable the 3D thing as I understand it.

Even with the 3D disabled something about it hurts my eyes. I am not sure if it is the lighting on the screen or if it is the high definition graphics on such a small screen. Either way if they come out with a regular sized updated version I am sure they will fix that.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:29 pm 

percepticide wrote:
Even with the 3D disabled something about it hurts my eyes. I am not sure if it is the lighting on the screen or if it is the high definition graphics on such a small screen. Either way if they come out with a regular sized updated version I am sure they will fix that.

Hmm, how do you define "regular sized" for a handheld..? I mean, the 3DS XL came out recently...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:35 pm 

Downpour was total ass. Failsafeman has pretty much outlined why, and I agree. But I really have to reiterate how horrible the enemies were.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm 

It wasn't really total ass. More like half ass. The thing is the enemies were generally easy to just run away from in the outside sequences, and not too hard to deal with inside when you could prepare, at least until the stupid prison where they take all your guns away.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

I remember one of the monsters barely even having a design beyond ''GREY''. It looked like it's textures just never loaded.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:51 pm 

Oh, if you're talking design, then yeah. The basic banshee-type enemies are really, really lame. Very boring/basic.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-873NWe8RSn0/T ... reamer.png

The big tall skinny guys are pretty cool though, in part because they're like twice as tall as you and will drop down from the ceiling on top of you, or just take swipes from up there. Very unnerving. Plus you see them eating each other. They look like wendigos to me.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ng_Bat.png

The prisoner enemies are pretty stupid and boring, though, and while the mechanics of the mannequin ghosts are cool, they're pretty boring-looking themselves.

I have to repeat though that the last boss is amazing. If every enemy's design had been up to that standard the game would've been a lot better.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm 

Not sure how many people here have a Vita, but has anyone else tried the Silent Hill: Book of Memories demo yet? I was expecting it to be total bullshit, but it's not that bad actually. Looking forward to the full game.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:40 am 

percepticide wrote:
Hopefully they will go through with the remake although I really don't like the 3ds. The 3ds hurts your eyes after staring at it for like 5 minutes. Who knows maybe an updated version of it will be released soon so that it isn't painful to use.

Damn RE6 is getting some horrible reviews my buddy picked it up so I might just play his copy and decide for myself so far it doesn't sound promising

I'm lucky, the 3D doesn't bug me at all. I can play the 3DS till the batteries die and be fine. In other words, about 10 minutes ;) Stupid short battery life.

But FPSes can make me sick sometimes. I had to remember to take it slow playing Deus Ex today cause I started to get a little motion sick. Good thing stealth is an option in that game.

Sucks RE6 is worse than expected. Leon's part and the Ada Wong trailer made it seem cool like it got back to its horror roots. Some Gears of War or Left 4 Dead knockoff just won't do.

Ravenlord266 wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

Downpour in the top 3?

For me it's

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Silent Hill
3. Silent Hill 3
4. Silent Hill 4
5. Silent Hill Downpour.

Downpour's a really good try at Silent Hill. The Hanzel and Gretel puzzle. Ooooh *shivers* There were so many cool creepy parts. The sidequests were nice and morbid. It was just the best attempt I've seen at reviving a franchise in these days of game franchises being butchered and milked. All it needed was gameplay polish and technical bugs fixed. But they did capture the spirit of Silent Hill well.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 am 

Does anyone know if there is a demo for the new XCOM on XBL or PSN? If not, does anyone plan on picking up the console version? No way in hell my craptop will run it, and the only thing making me reluctant to buy it is the consideration of how controller-friendly the GUI will be.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm 

I'm not sure, I think the demo yentass spoke about was a PC download. I could be wrong though. I do plan on getting the PS3 release.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

My silent hill ranking:

1. Silent Hill - Shattered Memories
2. The Silent Hill Movie (oh yes!)
3. Silent Hill 2

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:34 pm 

why wrote:
My silent hill ranking:

1. Silent Hill - Shattered Memories
2. The Silent Hill Movie (oh yes!)
3. Silent Hill 2

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I concur.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 pm 

It's true. Viewed "objectively" Silent Hill 2 is of course the best of the three. But I must say my friends and I had such a blast playing Shattered memories on the Wii and watching the movie (which I think is one of the best if not the best video game license based movies) that they come first.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm 

It is the best video game licensed movie but that's not saying a whole lot. I recently rewatched it and it's not as good as it was when I was 17. Not too surprising. The siren is still chilling though.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:43 pm 

Well, it's the best video game movie I've seen by a long shot, but let's be honest, the bar wasn't exactly set very high to begin with. As far as adaptations go the movie was decent at best. It had some good parts and didn't do anything tremendously stupid but it was much, much simpler than any of the core games. Jacob's Ladder is a much better Silent Hill movie.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well, it's the best video game movie I've seen by a long shot, but let's be honest, the bar wasn't exactly set very high to begin with.

I'm hoping you either forgot about or have just never watched Super Mario Bros.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 pm 

hey wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Well, it's the best video game movie I've seen by a long shot, but let's be honest, the bar wasn't exactly set very high to begin with.

I'm hoping you either forgot about or have just never watched Super Mario Bros.

Yes! That movie was awesome because it had exactly zero fucks to give. Screw the haters.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:24 am 

I guess you guys haven't seen The Crade of Life? The first was absolute dogshit, so I wouldn't fault anyone for not sticking around for the sequel. But you should have. Because it's great. In fact, it was so great, I don't really think anyone should ever need to make another vidya game movie ever again. I mean, what could possibly be better than a spandex-clad Jolie sucker punching a shark? Definitely not Seeeen Beeeen overacting again.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452 ... 940  Next